PDA

View Full Version : Chances for season 6 renewal?

WolvDragon
06-27-2016, 12:15 AM
Usually this would be the time Nick will announce if more seasons for this show will be ordered. I been watching carefully to see if they either renewed it for season 6 or if Nick finally ended it once and for all.

This is based off info from wikipedia so let me disclose it first. But according to the ratings posted in the episode guide for this show they have been pretty stable throughout season 4, and dipping just by a few since season 3, but more or less staying the same above 1 million viewers watching it through TV, so this excludes any internet viewership.

I don't know if we should attribute it's future to TMNT 2 not being successful at Box Office. But do you think the movie's less than stellar Box Office results will have any impact on the shows future? Seeing how this movie hasn't been released in China yet, I guess it's kinda premature to say it's not what Nick expected. However, at the moment the movie is not doing so well.

Basic point is, with the movie not raking in the money, and the ratings more or less staying the same. Do you think season 6 could still happen or is season 5 the last hurrah?

I should also point out that I'm not aware if TMNT toys are selling good enough. And since toys sometimes determine the fate of cartoons (Young Justice for example) I think this should be a likely factor as well to determine if the show gets renewed for another season.

CyberCubed
06-27-2016, 01:27 AM
I fully expect the show to have a 7 season run. I'm sure we'll hear news of a renewal sometime either late this year or early next year.

FredWolfLeonardo
06-27-2016, 01:43 AM
I am content with the show ending at season 5. We would still have a total of 124 episodes for the whole series, not counting the movies, half shell heroes specials and various other forms of tmnt media produced throughout this generation.

WolvDragon
06-27-2016, 01:49 AM
I am content with the show ending at season 5. We would still have a total of 124 episodes for the whole series, not counting the movies, half shell heroes specials and various other forms of tmnt media produced throughout this generation.

I hope they aim for at least 6 or 7 seasons. But I am fine if the show did end at season 5. It will have over 100 episodes, thus keeping tradition of TMNT cartoons lasting a good long while over other cartoons.

So as long as they conclude the main story between the Turtles in their fight against Shredder.

CyberCubed
06-27-2016, 01:50 AM

Both previous TMNT cartoons made at least 150 episodes:

Original cartoon: 193 total episodes

2k3 series: 156 episodes and Turtles Forever

Anything less than 150 episodes for the Nick cartoon is a failure in my eyes.

biganimefan
06-27-2016, 02:16 AM
If memory serves, they announced season 5 at the San Diego Comic-con last year and the year before that they announced season 4. I think chances are good we'll hear something during this year's Comic-con. If not...then maybe next year will finally get a renewal for season 6. We'll see.

Tarris Vaal
06-27-2016, 02:37 AM
I'd like them to go the full 7 seasons if they could, but I am well aware that this latest round for the franchise does seem to be winding down (and has been on tv for some time now)

I'm happy so long as the series actually 'ends' with a nice conclusion and doesn't just cut off with all the plot threads unresolved.

Drives me nuts when series do that :tmad:

neatoman
06-27-2016, 03:53 AM
Anything less than 150 episodes for the Nick cartoon is a failure in my eyes.

That is an unusually high expectation, most cartoons don't last more than 52 episodes anyway so you should just be happy it has already passed that threshold.

thundermaster612
06-27-2016, 04:17 AM
It's either it ends at 8 seasons for me or (most preferably) 11 seasons...

What? It either beats 2k3's record or the official '87 record.

FredWolfLeonardo
06-27-2016, 06:01 AM
Its interesting to note how the 5th season has 20 seasons instead of the usual 26. For a while, season 4 was also meant to have 20 until they suddenly changed it back to 26. I see it as a sudden decision to extend the show's lifespan because for a while, i thought it would end at season 4 due to the lower number of episodes.

Regardless though, if theres sometime to really find out, it will be during this years comic con.

thundermaster612
06-27-2016, 06:35 AM
Its interesting to note how the 5th season has 20 seasons instead of the usual 26. For a while, season 4 was also meant to have 20 until they suddenly changed it back to 26. I see it as a sudden decision to extend the show's lifespan because for a while, i thought it would end at season 4 due to the lower number of episodes.

Regardless though, if theres sometime to really find out, it will be during this years comic con.

Since when is season-ception a thing?
Eh, nice to know the show has beat records already in 4 years

ABrown
06-27-2016, 10:27 AM
I don't see any reason that the show won't have a sixth season. The only major competition that the brand has right now is Star Wars. And the two seem to both be flourishing.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-27-2016, 10:30 AM
I fully expect the show to have a 7 season run. I'm sure we'll hear news of a renewal sometime either late this year or early next year.

And a TV movie. Don't forget the TV movie.

CyberCubed
06-27-2016, 10:48 AM
That is an unusually high expectation, most cartoons don't last more than 52 episodes anyway so you should just be happy it has already passed that threshold.

Well that's my point, TMNT cartoons tend to go on a very long time.

Most other cartoons get canceled after 26-65 episodes or so, very few action cartoons go on for more than 100 episodes. In fact other than TMNT I think the only other ones are B:TAS? Almost all other DC and Marvel cartoons get canceled early.

NinjaPug
06-27-2016, 10:59 AM
With the 2nd half of season 4 not scheduled to start until September I don't think we'll be hearing anything about a potential S6 renewal this year.

Luzmagica
06-27-2016, 11:16 AM
they must continue! we need to know what happens yet! ..i mean still being some stories for developing! :tgrin::tgrin:

ToTheNines
06-27-2016, 11:21 AM
With the 2nd half of season 4 not scheduled to start until September I don't think we'll be hearing anything about a potential S6 renewal this year.

Yup. At best, a potential sixth season won't debut until early 2018.

snake
06-27-2016, 11:24 AM

Most other cartoons get canceled after 26-65 episodes or so, very few action cartoons go on for more than 100 episodes. In fact other than TMNT I think the only other ones are B:TAS? Almost all other DC and Marvel cartoons get canceled early.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars had over 100 and Avatar had 3 seasons. Ben Ten lasted over 9 years through 4 shows with the same continuity outside of the 4th one.

CyberCubed
06-27-2016, 11:41 AM
Yeah I forgot about Star Wars.

Avatar only made 62 episodes or so though.

Aaronardo
06-27-2016, 11:48 AM
Unless you count Legend of Korra which is in the same universe with the same continuity, in which case Avatar has in total 7 seasons with a total of 113 episodes. But that all depends on if you count them both together.

On the topic of a Season 6 renewal, I can't see it not happening. The show's popular enough as is the brand. Nickelodeon will most likely announce it at their upfront next year. Fans of the show shouldn't have anything to worry about.

CyberCubed
06-27-2016, 11:50 AM
Unless you count Legend of Korra which is in the same universe with the same continuity, in which case Avatar has in total 7 seasons with a total of 113 episodes. But that all depends on if you count them both together.

Avatar and Korra are completely different shows, and they started years apart from one another. I have no idea why anyone would count them as the same show.

Andrew NDB
06-27-2016, 12:03 PM
Avatar and Korra are completely different shows, and they started years apart from one another. I have no idea why anyone would count them as the same show.

Yeah, that'd be like calling the final season of Star Trek: The Next Generation "Season 10 of Star Trek."

neatoman
06-27-2016, 01:29 PM

... Well there's really only been 2 TMNT cartoons before this one and the only live-action show never got past 26 episodes. If there is no season 6 this will still have had 124 episodes, that's actually pretty impressive.

Foombamaroom
06-27-2016, 04:39 PM

Yeah, that'd be like calling the final season of Star Trek: The Next Generation "Season 10 of Star Trek."

Yeah, this is a great example. They're both still "Avatar", but they're two completely different stories. They just coexist in the same universe with different characters.

CyberCubed
06-27-2016, 05:37 PM
Shows in the same continuity aren't the same show. That's like saying all of Batman: TAS, Superman, Batman Beyond and Justice League are the same show when they're 4 different series all sharing one universe.

Technically you can say every TMNT cartoon is in continuity with each other now due to all the crossovers even though they're 3 separate shows.

Papenbrook
06-27-2016, 07:00 PM
I don't want the show to be renewed for a sixth season.

I think it's pointless. The show is already suffering from seasonal rot. I just want the show to end already.

Aaronardo
06-27-2016, 07:59 PM
I think it's pointless. The show is already suffering from seasonal rot. I just want the show to end already.

Didn't Ciro express interest about comprising seasons after season 5 with some of the IDW arcs? I mean, I can hardly believe it since this show can't do an arc outside of the main story to save its life, but it should be worth at least seeing what it's all about.

It should also be worth noting that once this show is cancelled, we shouldn't expect another TMNT series for a good 8 or 9 (or, more likely, more) years. As much as I believe the show's gone through seasonal rot as well, I don't think it's gotten bad enough that we should call for its cancellation quite yet, since our boys will be off the air for awhile once this one ends.

CyberCubed
06-27-2016, 08:33 PM
Ciro said he wanted to make at least 5 seasons, which we're getting, not that he didn't want it to go on past that.

As I said, I expect a 7 season run. Most likely it'll get another 2-season renewal after Season 5 and then that will probably be the end.

Aaronardo
06-27-2016, 08:36 PM
As I said, I expect a 7 season run. Most likely it'll get another 2-season renewal after Season 5 and then that will probably be the end.

I hope the show gets renewed for an 8th season just for the look on your face. :lol:

biganimefan
06-27-2016, 09:00 PM
I hope the show gets renewed for an 8th season just for the look on your face. :lol:

Cyber has mentioned in the past that he wanted this show to go on for at least 10 seasons and get 200+ episodes(not EXACTLY what he's said but pretty close). I actually would like for it to make that much.

Now...I LOVE the original series, and no it's not just the nostalgia factor. But, the Nick show does arguably deserve more of a run than the '87 show.

CyberCubed
06-27-2016, 09:12 PM
Well when the Nick show first started it was very popular and I thought it would usher in a new wave of Turtlemania prompting a 10 season or 200 episode run....but now my expectations are in check.

I now expect a 7 season and 150 episode or so run. Which is still a very good, long and healthy run. The same as the 2k3 series got, 7 seasons, 156 episodes and a movie.

ABrown
06-28-2016, 09:12 AM
Shows in the same continuity aren't the same show. That's like saying all of Batman: TAS, Superman, Batman Beyond and Justice League are the same show when they're 4 different series all sharing one universe.

Technically you can say every TMNT cartoon is in continuity with each other now due to all the crossovers even though they're 3 separate shows.

Only if you consider the crossovers to be canon to the original series. As I've said before, it would have to be the same creators, like how you mentioned the DC Animated Universe shows, in order for me to consider it to be canon.

TMNTInsighter
06-28-2016, 04:38 PM
Ciro said he wanted five seasons and he got them. I'll have to pull up the link again but he was content with five from the beginning and he got 'em.

CyberCubed
06-28-2016, 05:47 PM
He wanted to make at least 5 seasons. You think if Nick renews the show for Season 6 or beyond Ciro is going to say, "Well I'm done, I don't want to work on the show past Season 5." Of course not.

7 seasons, you all heard it here first.

The Happy One
06-30-2016, 02:52 PM
Ciro said he wanted five seasons and he got them. I'll have to pull up the link again but he was content with five from the beginning and he got 'em.

He wanted to make at least 5 seasons. You think if Nick renews the show for Season 6 or beyond Ciro is going to say, "Well I'm done, I don't want to work on the show past Season 5." Of course not.

7 seasons, you all heard it here first.

I'm gonna go with Cubed on this one. Ciro said he'd be fine- completely satisfied- with 5 seasons. But, let's get real here, if this show is bringing in the money we KNOW it's bringing in, well...who would want to give that up?

I mean, if it ain't broke don't fix it, right? Sure the show could be better plot-wise, but that doesn't matter if you're shooting out toys and bringing in enough mohey to keep it alive- which this show us definitely thriving in merchandise:lol: It wouldn't make sense for them to stop now.

CyberCubed
06-30-2016, 03:09 PM
That's right, 7 seasons. Even if Ciro for some odd reason steps down, Brandon Auoman and the other writers would probably continue without him.

7 seasons, remember that, lucky number 7.

The Happy One
06-30-2016, 03:54 PM
That's right, 7 seasons. Even if Ciro for some odd reason steps down, Brandon Auoman and the other writers would probably continue without him.

7 seasons, remember that, lucky number 7.

Never forget:D

Jephael
06-30-2016, 08:40 PM
Be kinda funny if Ciro and Brandon were to both leave after season 5 but the series went on for another 3 years or so. I'd definitely like to do a comparison between this show and Smallville if that were to happen since that show's creators left prematurely.

CyberCubed
06-30-2016, 09:02 PM
Maybe the show will be revamped for its last 2 seasons. Similar to the original cartoon's "Red sky era" and Fast Forward/BTTS for the 2k3 series.

For some reason TMNT cartoons always go through radical changes in their final seasons. If it happens to the Nick cartoon as well I wouldn't be surprised.

Jephael
06-30-2016, 09:08 PM
Maybe the show will be revamped for its last 2 seasons. Similar to the original cartoon's "Red sky era" and Fast Forward/BTTS for the 2k3 series.

For some reason TMNT cartoons always go through radical changes in their final seasons. If it happens to the Nick cartoon as well I wouldn't be surprised.

You make a good point there. Only thing is this time around they're using CGI models, which don't change as drastically as 2-D animation did back in the day.

Powder
06-30-2016, 09:24 PM

I don't want that, but one can't help but wonder what wackiness they'd come up with this time around.

CyberCubed
06-30-2016, 09:31 PM
I don't want that, but one can't help but wonder what wackiness they'd come up with this time around.

I was thinking more of a time skip. Turtles would be 18, April and Casey would be adults. Everyone would have new CG models because everyone would look older.

I guess similar to the 2007 movie is what I'm imagining if you need an example.

Unworthy tinker
06-30-2016, 10:29 PM
I thought about the possibly of the last few seasons being different when five was announced, (especially since it appears to have a mystic theme similar to season five of the 2003 series. Maybe six can be a retelling of Fast forward? Heh). There's something about that idea that makes me wonder though. So, OT went from wacky to serious, and 2003 went from serious to relatively lighthearted to try and gain viewers again. What about this series? It's not super serious, but still not as silly as the OT. More serious does seem like a better direction IMO, but it's Nickelodeon, so I wouldn't be surprised if they went 4Kids with this.

In short: if they do have the traditional(? Eh, it's only been done twice) revamp in the last few seasons, I'd like to see it go darker in tone, but it's Nickelodeon. They'll probably make it a lot more lighthearted. (seriously, how'd they ever agree to Avatar and Kora?)

Powder
06-30-2016, 10:41 PM
I was thinking more of a time skip. Turtles would be 18, April and Casey would be adults. Everyone would have new CG models because everyone would look older.

I guess similar to the 2007 movie is what I'm imagining if you need an example.

That wouldn't be too bad, if done right. Unfortunately though it'd probably just be some toy gimmick.

oldmanwinters
06-30-2016, 11:14 PM
That wouldn't be too bad, if done right. Unfortunately though it'd probably just be some toy gimmick.

Coming 2018 from Playmates Toys... "Full Shell Heroes!"

snake
07-01-2016, 07:38 AM
I'm getting a "change" vibe from those SDCC pics of the toys especially

thundermaster612
07-01-2016, 09:42 AM
I'm getting a "change" vibe from those SDCC pics of the toys especially

I'm getting a Mystic Turtles 2k3 vibe for the show and a goofy variants by Playmates vibe for the toys.

Jephael
07-01-2016, 10:06 AM
I'm getting a Mystic Turtles 2k3 vibe for the show and a goofy variants by Playmates vibe for the toys.

Well, they are gonna be facing a demon in the next season, so there's a good chance they're going that route.

TMNTInsighter
07-01-2016, 09:41 PM
I was starting to think quite a bit of spinoffs even though I know they've got their hands full enough as it is with the current series.

Coola Yagami
07-02-2016, 10:18 AM
To be honest returning to new York to finally settle the score with shredder and restore karai would be the best way to end the series. They've done most of what they could and reintroduced most of the characters from throughout the series. I mean noone is gonna cry that Radical or Dreadmon never made an appearance.

CyberCubed
07-03-2016, 02:59 AM
To be honest returning to new York to finally settle the score with shredder and restore karai would be the best way to end the series. They've done most of what they could and reintroduced most of the characters from throughout the series. I mean noone is gonna cry that Radical or Dreadmon never made an appearance.

There's still plenty of characters without appearances they can use.

I'm surprised Groundchuck and Dirtbag haven't shown up yet. They're two notable mutants who haven't appeared yet they bring back one-offs like Muckman and Mutagen Man.

Coola Yagami
07-03-2016, 03:53 PM
There's still plenty of characters without appearances they can use.

I'm surprised Groundchuck and Dirtbag haven't shown up yet. They're two notable mutants who haven't appeared yet they bring back one-offs like Muckman and Mutagen Man.

But those aren't characters that add to the story and you can't exactly make an arc around them. They did Shredder, the Kraang and the Triceratons. They threw in several Mirage influenced arcs and outer space. Hey, they've had their chance to use them but they chose Wyrm and Armagon and even Lord Dregg instead. They even could have had a season with Bishop and Hun hunting them down, but they pretty much made them into side characters.

Noone said they have to use every single TMNT character in existence. They could just go to New York and end their battle with the Shredder and cure Karai and end it.

That's not to say they won't throw in some filler eps here and there, or that Shredder can't also mutate Groundchuck and Dirtbag as a final strike against the heroes. I feel as a final battle, he's going to go all out with everything in his arsenal, possibly even mutate Hun, or himself. The Mutanimals could even come in with some new members on their team. That Mutagen Rain that the Turtles pretty much ignored after a few episodes can explain any new random mutant.

I just don't really see where else they can go from here. It's gone on long enough. The OT had several seasons of silliness that literally could have gone forever until the fad died and they decided to wrap it up with Red Sky. 2K3 also ran out of ideas and had to resort to Fast Forward and Back to the Sewers. This show is on its last legs unless they also resort to some cheesy re-name.

CyberCubed
07-03-2016, 03:55 PM
No, there is plenty for them to still do. The mere fact that Season 5 is some sort of mystical arc akin to the Ninja Tribunal storyline or the Pantheon story from IDW says a lot.

Also we still need a Battle Nexus arc or some type of intergalactic tournament.

There's also more time travel stories to tell with Renet and Savanti.

Coola Yagami
07-03-2016, 04:04 PM
No, there is plenty for them to still do. The mere fact that Season 5 is some sort of mystical arc akin to the Ninja Tribunal storyline or the Pantheon story from IDW says a lot.

Also we still need a Battle Nexus arc or some type of intergalactic tournament.

There's also more time travel stories to tell with Renet and Savanti.

It's up to them. But if they do that, they'll need to put Shredder on ice for a while. That would be a cool thing to see. Shredder's 'final defeat'. Beat him down. Defeat all the henchmen, dismantle the Foot, destroy the building. Just end it.

Then focus a season or two on the Battle Nexus, filler stuff and *GASP* all new enemies with all new situations never seen before in past media. Also shows what happens to characters like Tiger Claw, Bebop and Rocksteady without Shredder around.

Then bring Shredder back, more powerful than ever, even more filled with hatred after months of rebuilding his body and his empire. Maybe at this time they can make him kill Splinter or even April or Casey. I know they'd never have the balls to kill one of the Turtles.

Again, noone said they HAVE to copy every single past story. It's time they do their own thing. The 80's cartoon gave us a lot of characters and the Technodrome. The Mirage comics gave us the Triceratons and the whole 'Leo is almost killed, they must escape to Northampton' arc. The 2K3 cartoon gave us the Battle Nexus arc and other characters. What has this cartoon given us? Other than a few characters and Psychic Power April.... not much of anything. And now it looks like they're gonna rip off the Tribunal arc? C'mon.

It's time that they do something new, a storyarc so epic that they next TMNT incarnation is going to do their own take on it. I mean, c'mon... when you think about it.... there's nothing this cartoon has for any future incarnation to adapt. It's all taken from something else. What's the next cartoon show going to do? Re-tell the 'escape to Northampton' arc for a third time?

CyberCubed
07-03-2016, 05:27 PM
People want to see new takes on old stories.

victory_angel
07-03-2016, 07:27 PM

Yes, but we also want to see things that are original as well. For example we had that argument between Donnie and Leo in the season two finale. Leo and Donnie fighting each other hasn't really been done before. Yes, they have moments in most other incarnations where Don blows up at one or all of his brothers or get into Leo's face about some things, but mostly Leo and Donnie haven't had all out arguments with mounting hostility.

Heck in the Mirage Mikey does call Donnie "Leo Jr." for a reason.

And there is still some noticeable tension between them that has been building since the ending the second invasion. But we need more than just Donnie and Leo getting into a fight.

Same thing with Donnie having a crush on April, that also hasn't really been done in previous incarnations. I mean yeah we have had Don having a short lived crush in the 2k3. And each of the Turtles being attracted to her in their own way. But mostly Aprils been a psudo-mother/Big-sister to them.

But we need more plots then just that. Okay so season five could be Tribunal/Nexus theme we don't know we just know that mystic elements will be involved.

Remakes of old plots are fine...but adding in new eliements is also just as good.

Coola Yagami
07-03-2016, 08:52 PM

No, YOU want to see new takes on old stories. You were the one wishing Shredder would kill Chris and Xever to bring in Bebop and Rocksteady and mutate a random Kraang into 'THEE Krang'. You were the one hellbent on Steranko not being Rocksteady because he would be stuck with the Russian accent.

I think we've seen enough of the old stories. We need new ones too, or the next series will be doomed to fail, only rehashing stuff that's been rehashed before.

This show already brought in 80's elements and characters, a few 2K3 elements and characters and several Mirage storyarcs that 2K3 already covered.

Now the show needs it's own unique storyarc so that the next series in line will have their take on it.

The 80's brought in a bunch of characters. 2K3 brought in some of their own but also did a lot of Mirage stuff. This new show hasn't done all that much except de-age some characters and throw in a few new ones, that turn out to be older characters anyways. It's time they step up and show us what they can really do.

CyberCubed
07-03-2016, 09:53 PM
Both Nick and IDW are re-tellings of the last 30 years of TMNT history with some new stuff added. That's what we want.

Huzzah
07-04-2016, 08:24 AM
We? Frankly I'm ready for new stories, I'm honestly tired of the same ol song and dance. I'm tired of Shredder being the antagonist even long after his arc should be over (like one season max).

Next Mutation, for all its awfulness, introduced almost entirely new elements and story attributes without rehashing the same stories. Had they chosen a different avenue than live action with minimal budget, it probably would've been better received.

Etsyturtle2
07-04-2016, 08:29 AM
If we keep getting rehashes, what are future versions gonna pull from? We need more original stuff.

Coola Yagami
07-04-2016, 11:04 AM
Someone needs to learn that what they want is not equal to what everyone wants.

Yeah, the show needs new stuff or there will be nothing left for the next show in line to adapt from. Unless the next show pulls a complete 180 like the 80's did and make up it's own completely original thing.

I mean going from a comic about a ninja feud, dinosaur aliens and time travel... to a show about them working alongside a news reporter and stopping a ninja, a talking brain and 2 mutants from ruling the world with the Death Star on wheels. A huge departure. And before you nitpick, I know the 80's cartoon did eventually use time travel and dinosaurs, but that wasn't right away. The Turtles were already fighting the Triceratons by issue 6 or so.

For all we know, the next show might start from the ground up and have the TMNT try to save the world from a race of evil lizards or something.

This show already did it's 80's nostalgia mega-fest. We can no longer say it's been years since we've seen Bebop and Rocksteady. They've been all up on in our faces for the last 2 or so years now. There's really no room for more 80's stuff. After this show is done, this one will be the new '80's nostalgia trip'. The next show in line might be a whole new thing.

CyberCubed
07-04-2016, 11:43 AM
Coola, have you ever watched Futurama? In one episode when the main characters were talking about what to watch on TV, Fry says, "People think they want something new, but in reality they just want to watch the same thing over and over again."

And he, or rather the shows writers, were right. People watch TV to see the same things over and over.

neatoman
07-04-2016, 12:52 PM
Coola, have you ever watched Futurama? In one episode when the main characters were talking about what to watch on TV, Fry says, "People think they want something new, but in reality they just want to watch the same thing over and over again."

And he, or rather the shows writers, were right. People watch TV to see the same things over and over.

And the point of that joke was that people were too dumb to appreciate originality or cleverness, not that formula is a good thing.

Sooner or later, seeing the same thing again and again will get boring.

Powder
07-04-2016, 02:46 PM
Sooner or later, seeing the same thing again and again will get boring.

Fred Wolf fans disagree, it seems.

Coola Yagami
07-04-2016, 03:23 PM
Fred Wolf fans disagree, it seems.

That's because they only remember the first 5 episodes and playing with the toys. If they sat down and watched entire seasons, they'd probably be begging for something new too.