PDA

View Full Version : Comixology sale -- what to buy

PaulAllor
06-30-2016, 08:18 AM
Hola, Technodromers!

So, I could use a bit of help, if anyone has a second. Today is (I believe) the last day of that amazing half-off sale Comixology has been running on all Turtles collections. Since I mostly read digital these days, I'd love to use this sale to complete my collection. But I believe that a lot of these trades have overlapping issues, and I don't want to double-purchase.

So basically, could anyone tell me what I'd need to buy so that I cover all my bases, but am not just buying the same stuff multiple times? I already have all the IDW and Nick continuity books, so we're talking about:

Eastman/Laird BW Classics Volume 1-4
TMNT Classics 1-10
TMNT Adventures 1-11
Tales 1-7
Ultimate B&W 1-6
Soul's Winter

PaulAllor
06-30-2016, 08:19 AM
I hit "submit" before I added "thank you" at the bottom. So, uh, thank you.

DrSpengler
06-30-2016, 08:27 AM
Eastman/Laird BW Classics Volume 1-4 and Ultimate B&W 1-6 are gonna overlap. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between them; but both are strictly the Eastman/Laird issues in original black and white. Ultimate might be better, if they're anything like the physical hardcovers, as you'll get all the bonus commentary and volume 6 will have a ton of short strips they did.

Ultimate Vol. 6 might overlap with some of the short strips printed in the Classics volumes, but the overlap is negligible and kinda hard to avoid.

Souls Winter is not in the Classics line, even though it's from the same set of circumstances ("non canon" Mirage Volume 1 issues), so you won't have any overlap between it and the Classics collections and you'll have to buy both.

That's about all I can think of. Everything else should be unique.

PaulAllor
06-30-2016, 08:29 AM
Thanks, man! Exactly what I was looking for.

DrSpengler
06-30-2016, 08:30 AM
Ah. The difference between Eastman/Laird BW Classics Volume 1-4 and Ultimate B&W 1-6 are that E/L contain only the comics and are cheaper, while Ultimate is the same as the hardcovers and feature all the bonus content.

FYI, the E/L editions stop at TMNT #11, while Ultimate goes all the way through #62 (of just the Eastman and Laird issues, of course).

I'd go with Ultimate; a little pricier but you get extra stuff plus the whole run of their issues.

Speedy Cerviche
06-30-2016, 08:46 AM
The ultimate collections all the way

PaulAllor
06-30-2016, 01:56 PM
Yup, went with the Ultimate Collections and everything else besides the B/W classics!

Hooboy, that's a lot of reading and (mostly) re-reading ahead of me...

DrSpengler
06-30-2016, 03:08 PM
Yup, went with the Ultimate Collections and everything else besides the B/W classics!

Hooboy, that's a lot of reading and (mostly) re-reading ahead of me...

Eh. You script Turtle comics for a living. Just call it work-related materials and you can write them off on your taxes!

CyberCubed
06-30-2016, 04:06 PM
Reading comics goes by quickly for me, a standard size comic takes less than 10 minutes to read through. Depends how long your stare at art before you move on.

Redeemer
06-30-2016, 09:39 PM
Eh. You script Turtle comics for a living. Just call it work-related materials and you can write them off on your taxes!

:lol:

Its so funny bc its true haha!

PaulAllor
07-01-2016, 08:24 AM

Every comic book I buy is listed as a business expense on my taxes! But that just lowers my taxable income. I still have to pay for them. :lol:

myconius
07-03-2016, 11:02 AM
i'm a little late to the party as the sale is already over! :P

as soon as i signed up for comixology i bought ALL the Ultimate B&W editions 1-5.
bought Ultimate vol. 6 about a week before it went on sale! >.<

but at least with the sale i was able to get all the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Classics and all the Tales of TMNT volumes.

it's SO weird reading those stories in color now. pretty cool even though they sometimes have minor goof ups here and there with the color. :P

in Tales of TMNT v.2 'the Return of Savanti Romero' there a panel with a close-up of Savanti's hand and it's colored green. :lol:

AquaParade
07-03-2016, 11:04 AM
i'm a little late to the party as the sale is already over! :P

as soon as i signed up for comixology i bought ALL the Ultimate B&W editions 1-5.
bought Ultimate vol. 6 about a week before it went on sale! >.<

but at least with the sale i was able to get all the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Classics and all the Tales of TMNT volumes.

it's SO weird reading those stories in color now. pretty cool even though they sometimes have minor goof ups here and there with the color. :P

in Tales of TMNT v.2 'the Return of Savanti Romero' there a panel with a close-up of Savanti's hand and it's colored green. :lol:

Yeah there are a lot of little mistakes. The funny part is that's not even what bugs me. I just wish they chose a different coloring style because the current IDW one is so cold looking. The old Mirage colored trades we're gorgeous.

myconius
07-03-2016, 11:09 AM
Yeah there are a lot of little mistakes. The funny part is that's not even what bugs me. I just wish they chose a different coloring style because the current IDW one is so cold looking. The old Mirage colored trades we're gorgeous.

it would have been excellent if Mirage had at least did color past issue #11!

at least 12, 13, 14, 15, 17 19, 20 & 21.

pretty sure they re-released #18 in color?