PDA

View Full Version : 2014 vs OotS

LeotheLateBloomer
07-04-2016, 07:49 AM
Between the 2014 film and OotS, which do you prefer (out of the less of two evils) or do you like/hate both equally? What are some ways one film is better than the other as well as worse?

Edit: I meant to go with Andrew's plant option instead of neutral. Sorry dude. :P

Powder
07-04-2016, 07:55 AM
The sequel, while flawed in many of the same ways, was way better.

neatoman
07-04-2016, 08:09 AM
Ugh... It's debatable which one of these two movies sucks less but to call one "way better" than the other is absurd, it's like saying a broken leg is better than having both a broken leg and a broken nose.

If I had to say which one sucks less I'd go with the first one, at least that one didn't annoy me all the time.

Etsyturtle2
07-04-2016, 08:11 AM
For me its the best of two awesome movies, so its hard to pick. But ill go with the first.

IndigoErth
07-04-2016, 08:55 AM
The sequel. The main storyline is weak as heck when all is said and done - and comparably speaking maybe 2014 sort of wins in that department to a small degree - but the fact that the Turtles receive far more of the attention and feel like people this time in their film, not just sentient plot devices, the sequel wins.

The first left me feeling a bit depressed afterward due to treatment of the should be main characters. Terrible for any movie to do. (Save for maybe a documentary or obscure art film that intended on depressing you.) This one, though flawed itself, at least did not do that.

Technogeek29
07-04-2016, 12:30 PM
I don't like both and OOTS has many narative problems that bug me, maybe even more than the first one? But the stuff I like outweighs what I hate in 2014 so neutral would be more accurate. Give these movie this, it solve the nagging question of which is the dumbest version of Mikey out of 2k3, Nick and PMDT.

Commenter 42
07-04-2016, 12:37 PM
Ugh... It's debatable which one of these two movies sucks less but to call one "way better" than the other is absurd, it's like saying a broken leg is better than having both a broken leg and a broken nose.

If I had to say which one sucks less I'd go with the first one, at least that one didn't annoy me all the time.

So, you'd prefer to break both your nose and leg? Given the choice, I'll take just the leg.

from the few clips on youtube, it looks dull, but not as dull as 2014.

Xiewin
07-04-2016, 12:46 PM
The sequel.

The plot is utter trash, but I actually enjoyed some of the turtle moments much more than the first.

neatoman
07-04-2016, 01:10 PM
So, you'd prefer to break both your nose and leg? Given the choice, I'll take just the leg.

from the few clips on youtube, it looks dull, but not as dull as 2014.

Oh trust me, the first one might be dull but at least it's not BOTH dull and annoying.

Commenter 42
07-04-2016, 01:19 PM
Oh trust me, the first one might be dull but at least it's not BOTH dull and annoying.

Well I got to hear Krang's voice. :-?

Terrible, the dialogue and the voice, but in a predictable way.

Shame - cause I kind of liked his look. It wasn't terrible, and with Pat's voice, could have been fun, especially if it was all ad-libbed.

neatoman
07-04-2016, 01:55 PM
Well I got to hear Krang's voice. :-?

Terrible, the dialogue and the voice, but in a predictable way.

Shame - cause I kind of liked his look. It wasn't terrible, and with Pat's voice, could have been fun, especially if it was all ad-libbed.

Oh please, it would probably have been even worse with Fraley's annoying voice. Not that Garrett's impression of Fraley wasn't annoying, it was just a slightly better fit for a live-action movie.

But really, it's not just Krang I find annoying. Bebop and Rocksteady are annoying, Vern is annoying, Baxter is annoying, Casey and April is kind of annoying but really just lame and the TMNT themselves are pretty annoying. Be honest here, is more focus on the Turtles themselves and a bunch of nostalgia characters really an improvement if all it does is highlight how annoying they are in presentation? The answer is no, it's actually a failing disguised as improvemnt through the use of fanservice.

There are some other things that makes it the worse of the two but that's really what kills the movie for me. The first one (as lame as it and it's characters are) doesn't shove eight or so annoying characters in your face for two hours.

Powder
07-04-2016, 02:40 PM

I'd rather be stabbed in the gut than shot in the face.

One is definitely way better than the other, even if it still sucks.

IndigoErth
07-04-2016, 03:09 PM
the TMNT themselves are pretty annoying.
The little bit of cartoony stuff that seemed to mostly center on Raph, sure, but outside of that, how so?

neatoman
07-04-2016, 03:50 PM
The little bit of cartoony stuff that seemed to mostly center on Raph, sure, but outside of that, how so?

Well it's been almost six weeks since I saw the movie so it's a bit hard to remember some specifics but I remember not liking their characterization, it seemed to be just the same weak depiction of the characters as in the last movie. Just because they had more screen time doesn't mean the writing or acting improved, it just means you get more of the same weak characters.

This is what I really don't get with the defenders of this movie.
They didn't like how the characters were potrayed in the last movie, but the new movie basically does the same thing except with more screentime and it's somehow "way better"? How does more of a bad thing result in improvement?

Shellington
07-04-2016, 04:06 PM
OOTS.

I'd call both films half-and-half, with them getting the mutants and aliens right (turtle brothers, Splinter, Bebop and Rocksteady, Krang) but not putting them in adequate stories.

But in terms of entertainment, I give it to OOTS. "My man!"

Panda_Kahn_fan
07-04-2016, 06:23 PM
Both are ugh, but at least the second one had some nice moments in it, with live action Bebop, Rocksteady, and Krang.

IndigoErth
07-04-2016, 07:02 PM
Well it's been almost six weeks since I saw the movie so it's a bit hard to remember some specifics but I remember not liking their characterization, it seemed to be just the same weak depiction of the characters as in the last movie. Just because they had more screen time doesn't mean the writing or acting improved, it just means you get more of the same weak characters.

This is what I really don't get with the defenders of this movie.
They didn't like how the characters were potrayed in the last movie, but the new movie basically does the same thing except with more screentime and it's somehow "way better"? How does more of a bad thing result in improvement?
I dunno, different perspectives then I guess. (But open to hearing them.) Flawed as this one is, too, the Turtles are the one thing I really did like about it. They didn't feel hallow to me this time.

"Whoever thought I'd have a favorite," said my mother recently, after all these years, after being a part of the first generation of parents to put up with the Turtles' original popularity. That this film would have her deciding on a favorite Turtle is saying at least something... Even if I'm not sure entirely what. :trazz:

ToTheNines
07-04-2016, 07:38 PM
Hate them both, but the first one was better. The shorter runtime and presence of actual fighting made it much easier to watch.