PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite sport?

Prowler
07-04-2016, 09:15 PM
So, yeah, a quick survey here on the 'Drome forums. What is your favorite sport? And this is about team sports only, since I believe sports such as tennis, bowling, cycling, boxing, Formula 1 racing, etc. are a whole different matter.

I've tried to list every team sport I could think of that has a sizeable amount of fans throughout the world. pardon me if a few have slipped my mind. You have the "other" option just in case.

My vote is football/soccer. A very European answer. It's the sport I grew up watching on TV, and pretty much the only relevant sport in my country. Futsal(indoor 5 vs. 5 soccer) and Roller Hockey come in a veryyyyyyy distant second.

plastroncafe
07-04-2016, 09:22 PM
To play or to watch?

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
07-04-2016, 09:24 PM
Football. I am an absolutely die hard Steelers fan. My little boy is even named after Ben Roethlisberger. Second is baseball and I'm also a humongous Cubs fan as well.

NinjaPug
07-04-2016, 09:26 PM
College Football

Prowler
07-04-2016, 09:26 PM
To play or to watch?
Isn't your favorite sport to watch usually your favorite one to play as well? Basically, which sport brings the most emotion out of you? Your favorite team plays which sport? And in case it plays several different sports, what's the one that makes you lose more sleep at night when the team loses a game?

plastroncafe
07-04-2016, 09:54 PM
Isn't your favorite sport to watch usually your favorite one to play as well? Basically, which sport brings the most emotion out of you? Your favorite team plays which sport? And in case it plays several different sports, what's the one that makes you lose more sleep at night when the team loses a game?

Not really, no?
I've played base/softball, but these days I quite like ice hockey more...and there's no way on earth I'd be able to play that.

But I wouldn't go so far as to say either sport keeps me up at night.

Powder
07-04-2016, 09:58 PM
Other.

Video games were recently recognized as a sport, right?

:tlol:

Otherwise, Kung-Fu.

Prowler
07-04-2016, 10:00 PM
Other.

Video games were recently recognized as a sport, right?

:tlol:

Otherwise, Kung-Fu.
This poll is about team sports only, though. I've only stated that in my post and not in the poll, but I thought the poll options consisting team sports only would give that away :tgrin:

Powder
07-04-2016, 10:26 PM
Totally didn't read your post. Whoops!

Though MMO's have professional teams, so, ha! :trazz:

Etsyturtle2
07-05-2016, 07:24 AM
Cricket? Nobody understands cricket!

The Deadman
07-05-2016, 08:25 AM
Football, baseball and hockey are my preferred favorites.

CyberCubed
07-05-2016, 11:44 AM
I liked playing various sports when I was younger, but I never watched any of them professionally. Seemed like a waste of time unless you're in a bar or something.

Prowler
07-05-2016, 12:02 PM
Cricket is the 2nd most played team sport in the world next to football/soccer. Go tell all the Indians and Pakistanis(and several British and Australians) that they don't understand the sport.

ToTheNines
07-05-2016, 12:04 PM
Baseball for me. I used to be a huge WVU Football fan, but I've been kinda weird about college sports now that I'm older than everyone on the field, I guess you get over that eventually?

Your only good post, ever. Keep it up!

CyberCubed
07-05-2016, 12:12 PM
I feel like sports is only something young people and old people are interested in unless you play professionally, and for those of us in our mid 20's through 30's we don't have much interest in it.

Probably because we're too old to play it ourselves, and we can't be bothered to follow it on TV due to work/family life, etc.

MikeandRaph87
07-05-2016, 12:39 PM
I feel like sports is only something young people and old people are interested in unless you play professionally, and for those of us in our mid 20's through 30's we don't have much interest in it.

Probably because we're too old to play it ourselves, and we can't be bothered to follow it on TV due to work/family life, etc.

Speak for yourself,dude. As one in that age bracket I can tell you quite a bit of us are interested. It also is the peak of a person's athleticism and the age group you speak of is the heart of any professional sport.

ToTheNines
07-05-2016, 01:04 PM

I would argue that males age 18 to 40 are far and away the largest demographic of sports viewers.

Prowler
07-05-2016, 02:24 PM
Speak for yourself,dude. As one in that age bracket I can tell you quite a bit of us are interested. It also is the peak of a person's athleticism and the age group you speak of is the heart of any professional sport.

I would argue that males age 18 to 40 are far and away the largest demographic of sports viewers.
Yeah, CC you're clearly out of touch. The thing about sports is, it's one of the few very thigns that you liked when you're a kid that you keep liking as much or even more when you're an adult. That's what makes them so special.

The reason you've never become a sports fan, CC, is most likely because you never had a tema you really got attached to. I'm also guessing that your close family isn't exactly crazy about sports either?

I'll follow football/soccer until I die and if, heaven forbid, my team ceased to exist I'd be very depressed, feeling an emptiness in my life.

CyberCubed
07-05-2016, 03:10 PM
Unless you're a hardcore sports fan, most casual fans only watch one sports game a year such as the Super Bowl or a few others, and that's about it.

Do people really have 3 hours of free time to watch a game on a regular basis? I mean you can be watching 3 hours of anything else like a show/movie/cartoon/anime in that time.

Prowler
07-05-2016, 03:14 PM
Unless you're a hardcore sports fan, most casual fans only watch one sports game a year such as the Super Bowl or a few others, and that's about it.

Do people really have 3 hours of free time to watch a game on a regular basis? I mean you can be watching 3 hours of anything else like a show/movie/cartoon/anime in that time.
It's not liek ther'es games every day all the time. In the case of football/soccer there's usually 1 league game per week. At most there will be 3 games a week of your favorite team if they're playing a cup game or a European competition match in the same week. And trust me, no one who likes sports sees it as a waste of time to watch their favorite team play. Obviously people always miss some games due to work or class, but if they're able to, they'll definitely watch the game.

And "hardcore fans" are a lot more numerous than you think. Your'e right that many people only watch a few games per season and only claim to be fans of a certain tema out of family "obligation" or tradition, but I wouldn't go as far as say that "most" people are like that.

Electric
07-05-2016, 04:05 PM
Kinda annoying you included handball, roller hockey, and 'indoor' soccer, but not lacrosse...

Katie
07-05-2016, 05:30 PM
College football.....Roll Tide

thundermaster612
07-05-2016, 07:54 PM
There needs to be an 'other' option because there is no Tae Kwon Do or Lacrosse.

Oh and Tae Kwon Do

ProactiveMan
07-06-2016, 02:44 AM
Pfff; I know what a crumpet is. Cricket is definitely an acquired taste, and itís more fun to play than to watch (although half the time youíre playing youíre watching).