PDA

View Full Version : Alton Sterling

Commenter 42
07-06-2016, 09:37 PM
Tired of reading and seeing this. Tired of of the garbage people think is important. Tired of trying to explain it.

This is how the world is today, and it's out of control. (http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/06/us/baton-rouge-shooting-alton-sterling/index.html)

ToTheNines
07-06-2016, 10:05 PM
I shouldn't have watched the video, but I did. Cried.

One of almost 600 police casualties in 2016.

Commenter 42
07-06-2016, 10:22 PM
This is where we should be raging. This is what real prejudice looks like.

It's always been this way. It's still this bad. Orlando was terrible, but everyone agrees it was terrible. The shot the gunman dead.

These cops aren't even in custody. Their body cameras "fell off", and they're on leave.

The murdering racist "goodguys" are on leave.

ToTheNines
07-06-2016, 10:31 PM
We'll see how it goes, and the Justice Department is already involved. But Louisiana is a very backwards state, unfortunately.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-06-2016, 10:36 PM
Heartbreaking. Disgusting. Outrageous.

Commenter 42
07-06-2016, 10:41 PM
holy ****.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-don-sense-police-killing-alton-sterling-article-1.2700578

Commenter 42
07-07-2016, 08:37 AM
I can't believe no ones talking about this.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-07-2016, 08:58 AM
I get why some people may disagree over whether one particular shooting was murder or not, but these crimes happen literally every week in America now, if not every day. Every week.

Innocent minority shot by law enforcement. Or minority engaged in unlawful conduct but conduct that does not justify lethal force. "Criminal" or "crime" does not adequately convey the scope. Malicious executions.

And yet, nothing happens. No tidal wave of reform or protesting outcry, just local protests, months later a trial, officers go on their merry way...

ToTheNines
07-07-2016, 09:06 AM
I've been following it and I've yet to see a shred of evidence pointing to this being in any way justifiable.

Another, perhaps even more egregious, similar incident happened in MN last night. http://reason.com/blog/2016/07/07/police-in-minnesota

Commenter 42
07-07-2016, 09:19 AM
What the ****!!!!!!!!!!!!
What the ****!!!!!!!!!!!!

Candy Kappa
07-07-2016, 10:04 AM
These Police officers needs to be set an example off, this happens way too often in America. One would think trigger-happy racists would have been weeded out, but no. They don't even get a slap on their wrist when doing this ****, they should be jailed for being the murderous trash they are.

plastroncafe
07-07-2016, 10:07 AM
Has the NRA made a statement?
I've been offline for the last few hours, curious as to whether they've maintained their silence.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-07-2016, 10:07 AM
These Police officers needs to be set an example off, this happens way too often in America. One would think trigger-happy racists would have been weeded out, but no. They don't even get a slap on their wrist when doing this ****, they should be jailed for being the murderous trash they are.

I believe the unions play a large part in preventing action being taken against racist police officers...

ToTheNines
07-07-2016, 10:13 AM
I've been offline for the last few hours, curious as to whether they've maintained their silence.

Not a peep. They're more worried about Matt Damon's opinion on gun control. Hollywood lefty who is pro- gun control, shocker.

Silence from good old Donald too. He'll eventually say something horrendous, but not until he finds a way to make it about himself.

Candy Kappa
07-07-2016, 10:18 AM
When it comes to the murder of Castile in Minnesota. NRA should come with a statement that they don't condone the killing of a person that had a concealed carry-permit that didn't do anything threatening with the weapon.

But that's not gonna happen.

CyberCubed
07-07-2016, 01:51 PM
Really makes me sick. I don't often get disgusted by things but this makes my stomach turn.

Commenter 42
07-07-2016, 02:27 PM
I can't get over how little coverage this is getting. Two murders by cops in 48 hours, and no real outrage. There really are two Americas.

plastroncafe
07-07-2016, 03:04 PM
What are you using to define coverage, because the places I frequent have rightly been taking about very little else.

Foombamaroom
07-07-2016, 06:08 PM
I haven't seen much coverage besides the things my friends are posting.

This type of **** is disgusting, and the people who say, "All lives matter." are just as disgusting as well.

People are getting slaughtered every goddamn day. Not because they're threatening the cops, not because they're putting others in danger... No, because of the color of the skin. Because the world has generalized black people as dangerous. It's disgusting.

But the part that really got to me? I watched the grotesque and graphic video of his murder, got a little nauseous, but that was it. But then I watched the video of his family speaking out. How his son was bawling because he's never going to be able to see his dad again. That's what sickens me; these people have families, and these trigger happy cops take fathers and mothers away from sons and daughters, brothers from sisters, etc. And the frequency of this makes it so, so much worse.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-07-2016, 06:12 PM
My city is covering it pretty well; morning and afternoon radio, both discussing it. Not that there's much new to say...

Racist police officers getting off scotfree because unions.

ToTheNines
07-08-2016, 06:23 PM

They finally did

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cm3edw1WYAAsBCA.jpg

Seemed kinda insincere to me.

Spike Spiegel
07-08-2016, 07:30 PM
I'd like to know what facts of that situation are unclear to these guys.

Ninturtle
07-08-2016, 07:53 PM
I can understand the officer being scared that Alton had a gun and was attempting to reach for it but shooting him ( multiple times might I add ) is beyond excessive force.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-08-2016, 08:04 PM
They finally did

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cm3edw1WYAAsBCA.jpg

Seemed kinda insincere to me.

Pfft.

Again, I say: Pfft.

ToTheNines
07-08-2016, 08:10 PM
As a pretty strong supporter of the 2nd amendment, just let me say that the NRA is ****. They're only a lobbyist for the firearms manufacturing industry, they don't care about the American people. I'm surprised they even issued a statement.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-08-2016, 08:15 PM
As a pretty strong supporter of the 2nd amendment, just let me say that the NRA is ****. They're only a lobbyist for the firearms manufacturing industry, they don't care about the American people. I'm surprised they even issued a statement.

The reports from Minnesota are troubling.

F'ing understatement. :trolleye:

When a Texas has problems with the NRA, you know you done f'ed up.

plastroncafe
07-08-2016, 08:30 PM
Oh so NOW the NRA has learned the value of restraint.
Well that was well and conveniently timed.

Netkeeper
07-08-2016, 08:52 PM
I don't mean to start an arguement, so I'm just going to call this more a statement of fact, but I just don't comprehend how someone can support the right to bear arms in this day and age.

ToTheNines
07-08-2016, 09:23 PM
I don't mean to start an arguement, so I'm just going to call this more a statement of fact, but I just don't comprehend how someone can support the right to bear arms in this day and age.

I have a home defense shot gun and a .22 rifle just for target practice. I do find it hilarious that people think the 2nd amendment protects them from tyranny though... if the government wants to pull anything, they're gonna have us outsmarted and outgunned in any scenario.

I think we need some more firearm regulation, but I just fear that it'll be a step in the wrong direction. If we end up having a complete gun ban, law abiding citizens have no guns, but the criminals and psychos will still have them.

And don't get me started on the criminalization of unnecessary **** and the net widening that follows. The last thing America needs is more citizens in prison.

Netkeeper
07-09-2016, 09:05 AM
I do find it hilarious that people think the 2nd amendment protects them from tyranny though... if the government wants to pull anything, they're gonna have us outsmarted and outgunned in any scenario.
Yeah, exactly, and that's why I don't support any guns at all. Now they're only tools for hunting [which I don't like the practice of at all, either] and murder. They wouldn't be necessary for self-defense if they were infinitely harder for everyone in the country to get, and if you wanted to shoot something, there's always non-fatal weapons, including gun-shaped ones. Although I personally would find fencing or archery way more fun. [I also wouldn't have as big a problem with hunting if they used things like bows and arrows instead of ****ing guns]

The right to bear arms was granted because back then it was necessary, but like you said, if the government wants to pull anything, they'll pull it and we won't be able to do a damn thing about it, guns in hand or no.

The last thing America needs is more citizens in prison.
Also, you're very very right about this too. That's a particular subject I have a lot of feelings about since it affects me on a personal level.

ToTheNines
07-09-2016, 09:39 AM
I enjoy archery way more, so it wouldn't bother me as far as recreation goes.

But if there ever is a gun ban, that won't solve anything. The government has prohibited the sale of most drugs, but I could score heroin, coke, mushrooms or meth before the sun goes down, if not quicker. No exaggeration.

Same can be said for a prostitute.

Netkeeper
07-09-2016, 10:29 AM
Well, I mean, you can just grow mushrooms and most of those other drugs are still pretty easy to cultivate yourself. Different than a gun.

ToTheNines
07-09-2016, 12:03 PM
Apples to oranges, I know. I'm just saying just because the government says "you can't have that", doesn't mean people won't have it anyways. And it'll pretty much be the same people who you DON'T want to have them in first place.

plastroncafe
07-09-2016, 12:15 PM
The laws we have in place aren't there to just deter people from breaking them, but to give people recourse when they are broken.

So yeah, passing legislation that says NO YOU CAN'T HAVE THAT is never going to be 100% effective in keeping those things off the streets, but...when people are found with them, it's grounds for further prosecution.

ToTheNines
07-09-2016, 02:01 PM
Yay! More penal system fodder!

ssjup81
07-09-2016, 04:15 PM
Yeah, exactly, and that's why I don't support any guns at all. Now they're only tools for hunting [which I don't like the practice of at all, either] and murder. They wouldn't be necessary for self-defense if they were infinitely harder for everyone in the country to get, and if you wanted to shoot something, there's always non-fatal weapons, including gun-shaped ones. Although I personally would find fencing or archery way more fun. [I also wouldn't have as big a problem with hunting if they used things like bows and arrows instead of ****ing guns]I honestly have no problem with people hunting if it's for food. Near where I live in VA, there are some hunting grounds and we can pay hunters to hunt deer and bring back the meat for us. My family's never actually done this, though. I'm 100% against people who hunt for sport.The right to bear arms was granted because back then it was necessary, but like you said, if the government wants to pull anything, they'll pull it and we won't be able to do a damn thing about it, guns in hand or no.

Also, you're very very right about this too. That's a particular subject I have a lot of feelings about since it affects me on a personal level.I pretty much agree with all of what you guys have said. The 2nd amendment is obsolete when you get down to it, and pointless as well as seriously outdated. It was put out during a time when people had muskets and stuff. They really need to update it or something.

I don't think getting rid of guns will ever happen because of all the paranoid people who feel they need one.

*sighs* I've been in Japan too long...the paranoia of moving back home and getting accidentally shot scares me...

plastroncafe
07-09-2016, 08:31 PM
I don't think it's obsolete so long as the "well regulated" clause is actually adhered to.

Netkeeper
07-10-2016, 04:13 AM
I honestly have no problem with people hunting if it's for food. Near where I live in VA, there are some hunting grounds and we can pay hunters to hunt deer and bring back the meat for us. My family's never actually done this, though. I'm 100% against people who hunt for sport.
Yeah I don't care as much about people hunting for food, but the fact is that the vast majority of hunters don't. Even if they're going to eat it, the hunting aspect is pretty unnecessary most of the time.

ToTheNines
07-10-2016, 04:52 AM
Yeah I don't care as much about people hunting for food, but the fact is that the vast majority of hunters don't. Even if they're going to eat it, the hunting aspect is pretty unnecessary most of the time.

You have to realize though, these people are meat eaters. If not a deer or turkey in the woods (which easily might end up as roadkill or prey to a coyote), then they're just gonna go home and eat a pig, cow or chicken that had a short, miserable life.

Netkeeper
07-10-2016, 09:49 AM
Yes, but at least the animals we breed for food aren't out in the wild, and mass murder of particular species can be damaging to the ecosystem. I mean, I know there are laws and whatnot to try and keep things balanced, but we humans literally breed animals for the purpose of food, can we just eat that?

I know the treatment of those animals is generally pretty awful, but that's a different issue altogether.

ToTheNines
07-10-2016, 11:58 AM
Hunting is highly regulated, there is no mass murder going on out in the woods. Either way, you're killing a defenseless animal.

CyberCubed
07-10-2016, 01:57 PM
I always wondered why people would go through the trouble of trying to eat an animal they hunt in the woods. You have to chop off the head, chop off the body pieces you want, discard all the body parts you don't want.

Sounds like a bloody, messy, affair. Not to mention how much dead animals stink and you don't even know if its healthy to eat or not.

Utrommaniac
07-10-2016, 01:58 PM
Because at one time, we had to. And it still has to be done, no matter what kind of meat it is or where it came from.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-10-2016, 01:59 PM
I always wondered why people would go through the trouble of trying to eat an animal they hunt in the woods. You have to chop off the head, chop off the body pieces you want, discard all the body parts you don't want.

Sounds like a bloody, messy, affair. Not to mention how much dead animals stink and you don't even know if its healthy to eat or not.

Queasy city-slicker. :twink:

ToTheNines
07-10-2016, 01:59 PM
You don't have to do it yourself, simply take it to a butcher.

Netkeeper
07-10-2016, 02:16 PM
Or just purchase your meat at the store because you're not a barbarian.

plastroncafe
07-11-2016, 10:25 AM
You don't have to do it yourself, simply take it to a butcher.

That's not a possibility everywhere, unless you know a butcher who's willing to break down an animal in their garage. I know in my area you can't use restaurant/food prep spaces for game meat, because of the threat of contamination.

snake
07-11-2016, 11:04 AM
People like doing it. I don't understand it, but it's recreation.

ssjup81
07-11-2016, 02:51 PM
Hunting is highly regulated, there is no mass murder going on out in the woods. Either way, you're killing a defenseless animal.I'm pretty sure that this is the case back home too. The area near my house have a lot of deer. I think they're only allowed to hunt deer at a certain time of the year. Driving past the area, you may see a deer occassionally and it's unfortunate that a lot of deer run out in the road at night.

In my neighborhood, deer sometimes run through it.

Refractive Reflections
07-14-2016, 11:08 PM
Yeah, exactly, and that's why I don't support any guns at all. Now they're only tools for hunting [which I don't like the practice of at all, either] and murder. They wouldn't be necessary for self-defense if they were infinitely harder for everyone in the country to get, and if you wanted to shoot something, there's always non-fatal weapons, including gun-shaped ones. Although I personally would find fencing or archery way more fun. [I also wouldn't have as big a problem with hunting if they used things like bows and arrows instead of ****ing guns]

The right to bear arms was granted because back then it was necessary, but like you said, if the government wants to pull anything, they'll pull it and we won't be able to do a damn thing about it, guns in hand or no.

So what would you recommend to a single mother living in crime-rampant south Chicago, who is faced with a male attacker who is 120 lbs larger than her (and he carried a knife) and wants to sexually abuse and kill her? How would she defend herself? :-?

A video of the argument:
_v8p6N1Br-s

plastroncafe
07-14-2016, 11:29 PM
Man, I hope she's a good shot and cool under fire, because then in addition to that guy having a knife he'd soon have her gun too.

Commenter 42
07-15-2016, 12:28 AM
Oh, wait, my turn!!! I love the what if game! Maybe instead she shoots him in the leg, 'cause she's not a complete idiot and knows how to handle her weapon. then as he's limping about she dials 911 and waits for the authorities to arrive!

But it gets better, right, cause then the cops show up and see a black woman with a gun and shoot her dead.

Right?

plastroncafe
07-15-2016, 10:24 AM
What's sad is that's quite possibly accurate.

Commenter 42
07-15-2016, 05:40 PM
The truth would be she gots shot gun or not.

ToTheNines
07-21-2016, 03:34 AM
They just keep getting worse...

http://reason.com/blog/2016/07/20/north-miami-cops-shoot-behavioral-therap

Thank God this man lived.

Candy Kappa
07-21-2016, 03:49 AM
They just keep getting worse...

http://reason.com/blog/2016/07/20/north-miami-cops-shoot-behavioral-therap

Thank God this man lived.

Wow... It's absurd.