PDA

View Full Version : Should Jackie Chan be in TMNT 3?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!!!

thundermaster612
07-10-2016, 02:26 PM
Of course I'm mocking those other threads I'm bored. At least mine is a bit logical. If Jackie Chan were to be in TMNT 3, what role would you think he'd take. Would you even want him in it? just speak I'm bored no exposition.

Vicky82
07-10-2016, 02:30 PM
What's with all the stupid threads are people bored or something.

Shellington
07-10-2016, 02:35 PM
Jackie Chan is awesome!

But this isn't his sort of film (he prefers original martial arts films), and anyway he's getting old. :(

thundermaster612
07-10-2016, 02:39 PM
What's with all the stupid threads are people bored or something.

I clearly said I was bored

Panda_Kahn_fan
07-10-2016, 02:42 PM
YES! Have him be Master Mogo from the OT, who found a feral just-mutated splinter in the sewers and taught him to speak, dress, and martial arts during the years the turtles were babies. And make him a Chinese Kung-fu master, so the Chinese audience doesn't get 'offended' or something. Either that, or make him Chi Husi/Warrior Dragon.

Vicky82
07-10-2016, 02:44 PM
I clearly said I was bored

So just because your bored, you decided to do a pointless thread, why don't you go out and have fun somewhere or watch the Euro final, the moth invasion will entertain you.

Etsyturtle2
07-10-2016, 03:34 PM
So just because your bored, you decided to do a pointless thread, why don't you go out and have fun somewhere or watch the Euro final, the moth invasion will entertain you.

It is isn't pointless h8r

Cryomancer
07-10-2016, 04:08 PM
He could choreograph, sure. I don't see why you would want him in a role though?

Shark_Blade
07-10-2016, 04:30 PM
He can be Hamato Yoshi. Chinese/Japanese no matter.

ToTheNines
07-10-2016, 04:32 PM
Chinese/Japanese no matter.

You are scum.

Shark_Blade
07-10-2016, 04:47 PM
I'm tolerant. Hamato Yoshi can have Chinese origin for a change, much like Ironman is now a black woman.

The Deadman
07-10-2016, 04:50 PM
I'm tolerant. Hamato Yoshi can have Chinese origin for a change, much like Ironman is now a black woman.

So you're open to change just because? Thank god you're in the minority of what fans actually want.

Panda_Kahn_fan
07-10-2016, 04:57 PM
There are ways to remove Hamato Yoshi from the Equation, and still have a valid TMNT origin.

I was once thinking about doing a plot where Tang Shen was a martial artist from China who owned a pet rat named splinter, and came to this country to open a martial arts school. She met and rejected rejected the Japanese Ororku Saki's love and he dueled and killed her. Splinter is then mutated like in the original story, and as he grows Tang Shen's spirit appears to him in visions and teaches him martial arts, which he then passes onto the turtles when they grow old enough. And this works better anyway because Tang Shen is a Chinese name, and here she isn't just a helpless victim who is murdered to move the plot along.

ToTheNines
07-10-2016, 05:02 PM
There are ways to remove Hamato Yoshi from the Equation, and still have a valid TMNT origin.

I was once thinking about doing a plot where Tang Shen was a martial artist from China who owned a pet rat named splinter, and came to this country to open a martial arts school. She met and rejected rejected the Japanese Ororku Saki's love and he dueled and killed her. Splinter is then mutated like in the original story, and as he grows Tang Shen's spirit appears to him in visions and teaches him martial arts, which he then passes onto the turtles when they grow old enough. And this works better anyway because Tang Shen is a Chinese name, and here she isn't just a helpless victim who is murdered to move the plot along.

This is a very interesting, creative idea. I wouldn't mind seeing it in a future movie.

Still don't like the idea of Hollywood kowtowing to those evil authoritarian pricks in the Chinese government just for more money.

Candy Kappa
07-10-2016, 05:48 PM

While we're at it, might as well refer the Turtles' weapons to their non-Japanese names; siang tÚpi, gun and tabak-toyok. Make extra sure that Mikey's chucks are more tabak-toyok looking in design over the Okinawan nunchaku, and drop leo' Daisho with a pair of dao.

Then we can have full on Teenage Mutant Wushu Turtles where only the badguy is Japanese and uses budo.

ToTheNines
07-10-2016, 06:25 PM
While we're at it, might as well refer the Turtles' weapons to their non-Japanese names; siang tÚpi, gun and tabak-toyok. Make extra sure that Mikey's chucks are more tabak-toyok looking in design over the Okinawan nunchaku, and drop leo' Daisho with a pair of dao.

Then we can have full on Teenage Mutant Wushu Turtles where only the badguy is Japanese and uses budo.

Lmao.

Better yet, make Shredder be from Hong Kong and have the Foot Clan all be Tiananmen Square demonstrators and filthy Tibetans.

PD and their Chinese investor buddies are gonna **** their pants when the plants report these ideas. They're sitting on a gold mine!

Panda_Kahn_fan
07-10-2016, 06:26 PM

Not all versions of the TMNT use those exact weapons. For example, the Nick Leo uses a Niten Ryu. And considering how much research and accuracy went into the original story, from a time when comic book writers thought "ninjas=generic kewel martial artists", and how accurate names like "Oroku Saki" and "Tang Shen the Japanese woman" are, along with Tang being nothing more than a story prop to be beaten and murdered originally, I feel nothing wrong with changing it up.

ToTheNines
07-10-2016, 06:41 PM
She was making fun of PD's desire to conform to the will of the Chinese investors.

Side note: I actually love the idea that Shredder grew up with a girl name. The "boy named Sue" complex explains why he's such a bastard.

Panda_Kahn_fan
07-10-2016, 06:45 PM
She was making fun of PD's desire to conform to the will of the Chinese investors.

Side note: I actually love the idea that Shredder grew up with a girl name. The "boy named Sue" complex explains why he's such a bastard.

Oh yeah, I won't argue on the quality (or lack therof) in platimun Dunes's TMNT. That can not be made fun of enough.

thundermaster612
07-10-2016, 06:48 PM

I'm calling the cops, reporting you for stalking me. I literally did that after I posted that

Powder
07-10-2016, 07:11 PM
Don't become Mewtwo.

Candy Kappa
07-11-2016, 03:22 AM
Not all versions of the TMNT use those exact weapons. For example, the Nick Leo uses a Niten Ryu.

"Niten Ryu" is not a weapon....

Niten Ichi-Ryu is a sword art school, which is one of the more famous schools for employing dual-wielding techniques by using both the long sword and the short sword.

Leonardo have for the most part throughout the franchise been inaccurately portrayed with either using a pair of fictional fantasy swords called ninjato, or been carrying two katana which are two-handed long swords. But there are moments of accuracy like some older pin-up artworks and Palladium' rpg TMNT & Other Strangeness.

Nickelodeon Leonardo is the first one to accurately be portrayed properly with a Daisho, a Daisho is the name for having a pair of swords with different lengths as daiso literally means "big-little".

and how accurate names like "Oroku Saki" and "Tang Shen the Japanese woman"

Of what I've gathered Oroku is a legit name, or at least plausible enough that the Japanese dub of the FW didn't rename it, and only renamed Shredder's given name from Saki, a very feminine girl's name to Sawaki which is a boy's name. While Splinter's name Hamato Yoshi was completely reworked to Yoshihama Takeshi so it would be authentic to the Japanese audience.

In the Nick cartoon canon, Tang Shen's grandfather is Chinese and afaik I don't think it's ever stated that Shen was full Japanese in other incarnations, giving ample of room that her name comes from her Chinese side of the family if she's not fully Chinese.

from a time when comic book writers thought "ninjas=generic kewel martial artists"

Which still is. That never went away, the (American) pop culture depiction of ninjas are well ingrained and will never go away.And with good reason as they are a whole lot more interesting in a action story then actual Shinobi.

That's why Shinobi-no-Jutsu (ninjutsu) is being depicted as "the Art of stealthily kill a 100 guys in most awesome fashion" when there is not a single fisticuffs technique in it, it's all techniques on acting, blending in, espionage and subterfuge.

And the ninja have a striking visual on par with superheroes. Taking that away from the Ninja Turtles lessens them.

thundermaster612
07-11-2016, 04:15 AM
Don't become Mewtwo.

It appears this thread is working out, and Mewtwo was a fake

Shark_Blade
07-11-2016, 04:39 AM
Where's Mewtwo and where can I catch it? :P

Panda_Kahn_fan
07-11-2016, 08:05 AM
"Niten Ryu" is not a weapon....

Niten Ichi-Ryu is a sword art school, which is one of the more famous schools for employing dual-wielding techniques by using both the long sword and the short sword.

Leonardo have for the most part throughout the franchise been inaccurately portrayed with either using a pair of fictional fantasy swords called ninjato, or been carrying two katana which are two-handed long swords. But there are moments of accuracy like some older pin-up artworks and Palladium' rpg TMNT & Other Strangeness.

Nickelodeon Leonardo is the first one to accurately be portrayed properly with a Daisho, a Daisho is the name for having a pair of swords with different lengths as daiso literally means "big-little".

Of what I've gathered Oroku is a legit name, or at least plausible enough that the Japanese dub of the FW didn't rename it, and only renamed Shredder's given name from Saki, a very feminine girl's name to Sawaki which is a boy's name. While Splinter's name Hamato Yoshi was completely reworked to Yoshihama Takeshi so it would be authentic to the Japanese audience.

In the Nick cartoon canon, Tang Shen's grandfather is Chinese and afaik I don't think it's ever stated that Shen was full Japanese in other incarnations, giving ample of room that her name comes from her Chinese side of the family if she's not fully Chinese.

Which still is. That never went away, the (American) pop culture depiction of ninjas are well ingrained and will never go away.And with good reason as they are a whole lot more interesting in a action story then actual Shinobi.

That's why Shinobi-no-Jutsu (ninjutsu) is being depicted as "the Art of stealthily kill a 100 guys in most awesome fashion" when there is not a single fisticuffs technique in it, it's all techniques on acting, blending in, espionage and subterfuge.

And the ninja have a striking visual on par with superheroes. Taking that away from the Ninja Turtles lessens them.

*SIGH* I am well aware it is a sword art school, I was making a subtle joke on the fact they declare it his 'weapon' on the back of the Nick Playmates figure box. Good grief humor does not translate over the net. :( Yes, nick portrays him with a daisho, the 'Ninjato' is not even an authentic weapon.

And yes, I was referring to the fact Saki was a made up name, so much so that the Japanses dub (well, there was actually more than one dub of the OT in Japan) and the Japanese OVA changed it to Sawaki. And I don't care if it's stated in the nick show how Chinese the name Tang Shen is or tried to explain it as part of her family is Chinese, my point still stands; it still wasn't well researched at the time.

You haven't told me a single thing I wasn't aware of here. Also, most of their career the turtles have been shown doing little 'Shinobi-no-Jutsu' (literally 'Shinoibi technique'- ironically, the first known written use of the term shinobi was in an eighth century poem, where it's meaning in context was 'to hide away') besides their sneaking around. Most of the time we see them in comics and other media, we see them taking on hordes of foot and other foes on rooftops or out in the open. So I feel no problems with changing it up.

Also, if you want to connect them to China instead of Japan, their stealth and martial arts techniques may come from the lin kuei (forest ghosts/forest demons) who are a shinobi equivalent in Chinese legend. They do not have to be from the Japanese tradition. They wouldn't be Shinobi, but here in America, we could still call them ninjas. (Ninja evolved as a colloquial term for shinobi anyway, born out of the Kanji that makes up the word)

I still find this whole debate amusing because the art of Shinobi no-Jutsu still traces it's origin to China, though the Buddhist monks who trained the peasant farmers martial arts so they could protect them. According to Japanese tradition, those farmers modified their farming tools into weapons, and became thew first ninjas- unless you want to push the origin of Shinobi all the way back to Prince Takeru and his assassination of the two tribal chiefs in the back during the Kofun period.

My point is, I fell they lose nothing with the severing of the Japanese connections, if the Chinese connection is made instead. Heck, I'm up for the teenage mutant lin kuei turtles! :D

CyberCubed
07-12-2016, 07:28 PM
Jackie Chan could have played the role of Keno back in 1991. ;)