PDA

View Full Version : Insects/bugs and other creatures similar to them

Prowler
07-13-2016, 11:16 AM
Most of us fear or are disgusted by them to some degree. Tbh, many of them carry diseases and are ugly/annoying as hell, so it is understandable. But not all of them are bad, obviously.

Personally, f*ck wasps, roaches, mosquitos and big ass flies. Kill those ****ers with fire.

Neutral regarding beetles, crickets and cicadas... but still would not want them crashing onto my face.

They're not insects I know, but regarding spiders, I don't mind smaller ones. I honestly don't fear spiders. The ones we have here are harmless. If I see a small spider in the corner of my room I might forget it quickly or just ignore it if it escapes my foot.

I'm fine with butterflies and fireflies. I also don't rush into killing moths if one happens to get in my apartment. They're harmless. Then again, I've only met small moths thus far.

What about you? What is your relationship with such creatures like?

Spike Spiegel
07-13-2016, 11:24 AM
I was stung on the earlobe by a bee in kindergarten. Ever since then I panic whenever something buzzes past my ear.

Prowler
07-13-2016, 11:27 AM
I was stung on the earlobe by a bee in kindergarten. Ever since then I panic whenever something buzzes past my ear.
I don't see bees that often. Although once in 10th grade at my HS library, this BIG ASS BUMBLEBEE flew right in front of me. t sounded like a helicopter. I jolted off my seat immediately.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-13-2016, 11:29 AM
If they sting, kill them with fire. Except honeybees. I'm cool with honeybees. They sting me, they die, so I trust them to make judicious decisions. Wasps are just asshats.

Cicadas are awesome.

"Nasty" bugs should also die by fire. Or shoe.

Prowler
07-13-2016, 11:31 AM
If they sting, kill them with fire. Except honeybees. I'm cool with honeybees. They sting me, they die, so I trust them to make judicious decisions. Wasps are just asshats.

Cicadas are awesome.

"Nasty" bugs should also die by fire. Or shoe.
Never saw a cicada. Only hear them at parks. They're quite loud.

Crickets are noisy too, but their sound is more pleasant sounding... it must be hell if one invades your home though. Good luck falling asleep :lol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-13-2016, 11:37 AM

Crickets are noisy too, but their sound is more pleasant sounding... it must be hell if one invades your home though. Good luck falling asleep :lol:

Cicadas are the sound of summer in the South. You grab a good book and crash in the hammock with a beverage while the cicadas chatter overhead. It's like nothing else in life... :tcool:

CyberCubed
07-13-2016, 11:42 AM
Just kill them all.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-13-2016, 11:46 AM
Just kill them all.

Ya need some bugs, ya ignorant jackwagon. Pollination, doncha know.

Prowler
07-13-2016, 11:46 AM
Cicadas are the sound of summer in the South. You grab a good book and crash in the hammock with a beverage while the cicadas chatter overhead. It's like nothing else in life... :tcool:
The Japanese say the same about cicadas. In fact, in EVERY anime you'll hear the sound of cicadas at one point or another.

The Deadman
07-13-2016, 11:52 AM
Can't stand bees and ants. Both can be a nuisance at times.

Prowler
07-13-2016, 11:56 AM
Can't stand bees and ants. Both can be a nuisance at times.
Ants are annoying. I really dislike ant invasions. Especially when they climb on your bed or get into glasses. There's been times I pick up a glass of water... and then realize I'm drinking a bunch of ants. :tconfuse:

The Deadman
07-13-2016, 12:15 PM
Ants are annoying. I really dislike ant invasions. Especially when they climb on your bed or get into glasses. There's been times I pick up a glass of water... and then realize I'm drinking a bunch of ants. :tconfuse:

I had to rinse out a glass earlier because it was full of ants. This time of year is terrible for ant invasions, you can put baits down and they still manage to swarm in.

Powder
07-13-2016, 04:53 PM
Ants, wasps, & spiders can all go to hell. The rest are fine. I love beetles.

Storm Eagle
07-13-2016, 05:10 PM
Most of us fear or are disgusted by them to some degree. Tbh, many of them carry diseases and are ugly/annoying as hell, so it is understandable. But not all of them are bad, obviously.

Personally, f*ck wasps, roaches, mosquitos and big ass flies. Kill those ****ers with fire.

Neutral regarding beetles, crickets and cicadas... but still would not want them crashing onto my face.

They're not insects I know, but regarding spiders, I don't mind smaller ones. I honestly don't fear spiders. The ones we have here are harmless. If I see a small spider in the corner of my room I might forget it quickly or just ignore it if it escapes my foot.

I'm fine with butterflies and fireflies. I also don't rush into killing moths if one happens to get in my apartment. They're harmless. Then again, I've only met small moths thus far.

What about you? What is your relationship with such creatures like?

Also, f*ck big ass cockroaches (water bugs, especially THE ONES THAT CAN FLY)), moths, centipedes, millipedes, gnats, fleas, ticks, and these hopping bugs I've seen in my apartment from time to time, that are hard to kill because they're wicked quick to jump out of the way. One got away from me one morning, but I came home from work later that day to find it mangled in the hallway. My cat must be responsible for that. That's my boy.

I'm the same way you are with spiders. When I lived at home, I saw a lot of ladybugs. I always spared them. Sometimes I might get them onto paper and have them fly out of the window.

The Deadman
07-13-2016, 07:31 PM

What about stink bugs?

Powder
07-13-2016, 08:32 PM
I mean, I don't want them to make me smell, but they're cool looking. I leave them alone for the most part, but I have no qualms with picking one up to set it free should it end up in my garage or something. They're chill.

Ninturtle
07-13-2016, 08:41 PM

Not all crickets are loud, I have around 50 crickets contained in my room to feed to my bearded dragon( I have a picture of it below ) and they don't really make noise.
http://i65.tinypic.com/jb7ma9.jpg

Prowler
07-13-2016, 10:23 PM
I haven't seen many beetles, but some can be quite big. Would not want a big one flying around me.

Also, f*ck big ass cockroaches (water bugs, especially THE ONES THAT CAN FLY)), moths, centipedes, millipedes, gnats, fleas, ticks, and these hopping bugs I've seen in my apartment from time to time, that are hard to kill because they're wicked quick to jump out of the way. One got away from me one morning, but I came home from work later that day to find it mangled in the hallway. My cat must be responsible for that. That's my boy.

I'm the same way you are with spiders. When I lived at home, I saw a lot of ladybugs. I always spared them. Sometimes I might get them onto paper and have them fly out of the window.
Oh man, a flea got into my house when I was a kid and hopped into my bed. I woke up the next morning with blood stains on my pajamas. My grandmother had to inspect my blanket and bedsheets all afternoon long until she finally found the flea.

IndigoErth
07-13-2016, 10:39 PM
There aren't really too many that bother me much. Wasps? Hell no. Yellow Jackets are such little bastards in particular... I wouldn't trust them not to flip out just by being looked at wrong. Most hornets... nope. Not as scary as wasps, but still nope and just as mean.

Although... I do kind of love the Bald Faced Hornet for its coloration/markings. Though they are supposedly pretty aggressive. There was a nest in some bushes across from our driveway a few summers ago and I carefully tried to sneak in to get a look at them. No sudden moves... lol Didn't bother me and got a few pictures, but sure as heck a few were watching at the doorway.

Honey bees and Bumble bees I respect but don't fear. The Wool Carder Bees (who used to visit the mint plants we used to have) are adorable feisty (with each other) little things. The local Carpenter Bees don't bother me... I've always sort of enjoyed teasing them a tiny bit and know the males that patrol a territory can't sting anyhow so if they try to buzz past me on purpose I'm not really bothered by it.

I forget what they're called but we also have an interesting Asian import that seems to be relatively harmless and has migrated our way... unsurprising that they happen to like the summer-blooming flowers on my Asian tree.

Most spiders don't bother me, though the fuzzier the better. I generally just leave most alone to do their thing. I love those little jumping spiders though. The ones that will bounce around in your hands like they've lost their minds. :lol: They're fun to mess with.

Blood suckers, forget it. As long as something isn't out to try to get you - be it biting or stinging - it doesn't usually bother me at all.

What about stink bugs?
Hmm... Maryland. You mean the same stink bug invasion that I assume people in your area probably deal with each fall/spring that those of us - being neighbors just to the east - also deal with? Pain in the ass things.

For months I always have at minimum one or two throwing themselves around the computer room. Occasionally accidentally 'attacking' me. Tired of throwing them outside.

Utrommaniac
07-13-2016, 11:05 PM
I spent two years researching and saving for a pet snake.
That snake is nearly ten years old now. I have brushed off getting bitten by that snake. I love reptile houses at zoos. In my brief stint as a girl scout at camp and my cabinmates freaked out over a fence lizard on the window, I wasn't bothered. I handled a ten foot long anaconda with glee.

But if a cockroach so much as shows a leg, I am out. I will sic a cat on it, and leave as quickly as I can.

ProactiveMan
07-14-2016, 12:53 AM
I donít like wasps, March flies or mosquitos at all. I donít mind ants, unless they are in my house or attacking my feat, same goes for cockroaches and silverfish Ė if theyíre outside fine, but I donít like to see them in the house. Iíll pick up big roaches and throw them out the window, little ones and silverfish usually donít survive if I see them.

I generally leave spiders of all descriptions to their business. I donít mind them hanging around in the house because they never cause trouble and they donít eat my stuff. Redbacks and white-tips are the only ones Iíll consider moving along, and only if theyíre somewhere I donít want them to be.

Unworthy tinker
07-14-2016, 09:28 AM
Top of the dislike list for me: ants and mosquitoes. My mom and sister are allergic to ants, and every year they just come flooding onto the stairs and a few get inside, even venturing in the dining room at times. Once, there were a whole bunch in the bathroom even. Hate dealing with 'em, and having to keep my sis away from the area doesn't help. Then mosquitoes. I went to summer camp a few years ago. All summer I'd be curled up holding ice packs on the bites to numb them. It wasn't until recently that I discovered its the opposite and you need heat to make it stop. Wish I knew this five years ago.

Gnats are annoying little fudgers that also come around every year, but there's not much we can do other than put out a cup of vinegar.

Neutral on bees. It runs in my mom's family to be allergic to bees, so I don't want to find out if I am. But hey, don't provoke them and they won't sting (shouldn't try to kill any anyways). It is annoying though when I have a nice cup of lemonade and a few just gather around and get all over the cup and stuff. Ew.

Usually if a ladybug or a rollie pollie gets inside I put it in a cup, then set it outside to crawl out. Also, it's always fun to watch butterflies fly by. Most of the ones out here are either white or yellow, so they look almost like little pieces of paper.

I also try to free moths when they get inside. They're annoying, but I don't think they should die. Funny story: a while back I was babysitting really early, the sun wasn't even up. So I was sitting in the dark playing my DS. A bug flew in front of me, it was a moth. It flew off to the corner of the room. Thirty minutes later it flew onto my DS screen, and I freaked out and accidentally closed my DS, crushing it. :tcry: I didn't mean to hurt it, let alone kill it. (Also, it was kinda ironic because I was playing the 3DS release of Pokemon Yellow and was fighting a bug catcher...)

IndigoErth
07-14-2016, 04:45 PM
Speaking of gnats... Ugh, my work has such a gnat problem right now. :tmad:

Think I have managed to kill only a couple. Though I tend to feel a little bad for doing it since they don't get experience life for very long as it is. But... be after me then you're asking for it; that's my primary qualification for getting hurt if you happen to be a bug. Mind your business and I'll mind mine. (Unless you're in the house and really shouldn't be there, then out you go.)

I always loved the pill bugs as a kid (aka rollie pollies). Though they are not actually bugs, they're crustaceans. :) Cute, tiny little backyard crab relatives.

Though I will never get over the one I accidentally killed a number of years ago when I moved a plant pot on the back deck after I slid it over. It was under it... I still feel bad about that. What a way to go. :tsad: That and the jumping spider on the deck that my brother-in-law smacked ("F***ing spider!") and killed a little while after I'd been teasing the little thing. If only I'd moved it or shooed it away...

MsMarvelDuckie
07-16-2016, 10:56 PM

Too true! I've been hearing them every afternoon on the way home from work for a couple of weeks now.

Who doesn't love Beatles? Except there's only two left.... Oh, wait- you meant the six legged kind. Well, I like them too.

C'mon man, spiders are cool. Most are harmless and even helpful.

There aren't really too many that bother me much. Wasps? Hell no. Yellow Jackets are such little bastards in particular... I wouldn't trust them not to flip out just by being looked at wrong. Most hornets... nope. Not as scary as wasps, but still nope and just as mean.

Although... I do kind of love the Bald Faced Hornet for its coloration/markings. Though they are supposedly pretty aggressive. There was a nest in some bushes across from our driveway a few summers ago and I carefully tried to sneak in to get a look at them. No sudden moves... lol Didn't bother me and got a few pictures, but sure as heck a few were watching at the doorway.

Honey bees and Bumble bees I respect but don't fear. The Wool Carder Bees (who used to visit the mint plants we used to have) are adorable feisty (with each other) little things. The local Carpenter Bees don't bother me... I've always sort of enjoyed teasing them a tiny bit and know the males that patrol a territory can't sting anyhow so if they try to buzz past me on purpose I'm not really bothered by it.

I forget what they're called but we also have an interesting Asian import that seems to be relatively harmless and has migrated our way... unsurprising that they happen to like the summer-blooming flowers on my Asian tree.

Most spiders don't bother me, though the fuzzier the better. I generally just leave most alone to do their thing. I love those little jumping spiders though. The ones that will bounce around in your hands like they've lost their minds. :lol: They're fun to mess with.

Blood suckers, forget it. As long as something isn't out to try to get you - be it biting or stinging - it doesn't usually bother me at all.

Hmm... Maryland. You mean the same stink bug invasion that I assume people in your area probably deal with each fall/spring that those of us - being neighbors just to the east - also deal with? Pain in the ass things.

For months I always have at minimum one or two throwing themselves around the computer room. Occasionally accidentally 'attacking' me. Tired of throwing them outside.

I'm like you with most bugs. Unless it's cockroaches, flies, or grasshoppers, I tend to leave most alone. Crickets I will take outside, as I've heard it's bad luck to kill one, but I dislike them because they are EVERYWHERE in summer- same as the grasshoppers. We've had them so bad a couple of years that you literally couldn't take two steps without hundreds of them flying up in every direction as you pass. It's horrible. And I've always hated roaches. Had a friend when I was a kid whose house was absolutely infested with them, and I never wanted to spend the night because you could see them running around all over the floor. Ugh.

Wasps I'm okay with except for hornets- been stung by them twice in my life, and it HURTS! Also scorpions for the same reason. Had one get inside my pillowcase and climb out to sting me at my grandmother's house once years ago, and it was the worst pain ever. I kill them. Period. Also brown recluse spiders, but only because they ARE venomous, and we've had enough run-ins (ie bites) from them to know they are NOT good to have around. I leave the widows alone unless they get indoors. Yellow-jackets are pretty common around here, but usually not too aggressive unless bothered, though they will buzz around warningly if you get too close to the nest. Red wasps are pretty non-threatening, though, and I kind of like watching paper wasps and mud-daubers at work.

Are we talking about the "stink bugs" that are those giant black beetles with long narrow bodies that really foul up the place when you bother them or they get crunched? Down here, they are all over the place- and the smell lingers for hours. Nasty things. And those Asian ones you mentioned are probably the Japanese beetles, right? Big, metallic green, with large wing-covers? Like a scarab, but shiny.