PDA

View Full Version : Getting stared at

Prowler
07-14-2016, 12:09 PM
Do you get stared at often by strangers?

I don't, but once in a while it happens. Which is odd considering I'm a fairly normal looking guy. OK, sometimes my beard gets a bit messy but it's still quite rude to stare. I see waaaayyy odder people than me outside on a daily basis and yet I don't stare at them. That is pretty rude, imo, and is bound to make people feel uncomfortable.

What about you?

Etsyturtle2
07-14-2016, 12:14 PM
Staring is fun

Prowler
07-14-2016, 12:15 PM
Staring is fun
And quite rude. Also, if you stare at a not so nice person one day, they might think you're picking a fight with them, so tread carefully.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-14-2016, 12:15 PM
Do you get stared at often by strangers?

I don't, but once in a while it happens. Which is odd considering I'm a fairly normal looking guy. OK, sometimes my beard gets a bit messy but it's still quite rude to stare. I see waaaayyy odder people than me outside on a daily basis and yet I don't stare at them. That is pretty rude, imo, and is bound to make people feel uncomfortable.

What about you?

When you're a sexy beast like me, you get stared at all the time.

I think it's the scraggly beard, long mane of hair, and white jacket that I wear backwards with the hands sewn into the pockets.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-14-2016, 12:17 PM
In all seriousness, though... yeah, people stare. I'm a big guy. Previous description minus the straitjacket.

They also stare if I'm swearing viciously as I drag an insanely overpacked cart of materiels across a parking lot to the warehouse in 100-degree weather. Like this afternoon.

Prowler
07-14-2016, 12:19 PM
Maybe it's because I like heavy metal and wear metal band t.shirts often. It's usually older people who stare at me now that I think about it. I must give a Satanic vibe to them.

This older Indian guy once stared at me for nearly a minute and he didn't even try to be discreet about it, as he kept staring at my face as I walked right past him. I pretended not to notice it, but man talk about a rude f*cker he was.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-14-2016, 12:35 PM
Maybe it's because I like heavy metal and wear metal band t.shirts often. It's usually older people who stare at me now that I think about it. I must give a Satanic vibe to them.

This older Indian guy once stared at me for nearly a minute and he didn't even try to be discreet about it, as he kept staring at my face as I walked right past him. I pretended not to notice it, but man talk about a rude f*cker he was.

If it bothers me, I flip the tables. Establish eye contact, and take it from there. :twink:

Prowler
07-14-2016, 12:37 PM
If it bothers me, I flip the tables. Establish eye contact, and take it from there. :twink:
Eh I'm not the type of person to play stupid games. Plus, some idiots might misinterpret it and assume I wanna fight. So I just ignore them and pretend I'm not noticing it. Plus, I don't want to scare off older people and thus proving them right "wow I knew there was something off about that young man!"

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-14-2016, 12:38 PM
Eh I'm not the type of person to play stupid games. Plus, some idiots might misinterpret it and assume I wanna fight. So I just ignore them and pretend I'm not noticing it. Plus, I don't want to scare off older people and thus proving them right "wow I knew there was something off about that young man!"

Well, I mean, use the strategy judiciously. :tlol:

If a seven foot mountain of a man with knuckle tattoos is staring at you, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT.

Prowler
07-14-2016, 12:46 PM

If a seven foot mountain of a man with knuckle tattoos is staring at you, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT.
Yeah. If I walk past a group of menacing people I don't stare at them but also don't lower my head. Just act naturally giving them a body language that indicates you neither wanna fight nor you're scared of them :P

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-14-2016, 12:47 PM
Yeah. If I walk past a group of menacing people I don't stare at them but also don't lower my head. Just act naturally giving them a body language that indicates you neither wanna fight nor you're scared of them :P

Exactly. That's why we call it street smarts.

Prowler
07-14-2016, 12:56 PM
It's really fascinating how much a person's eyes tell about themselves. By looking at someone's eyes you can tell if they're scared, curious or looking up to no good. Some people just have that "evil eye".

CyberCubed
07-14-2016, 01:44 PM
This makes me wonder how women feel when they know guys are checking them out in public places like the subway or on the bus or just walking on the street.

thundermaster612
07-14-2016, 01:53 PM
I'm antisocial. I always get stared at. No racism but especially by Indians. So how do you think I feel. Why are they even staring. How would they feel if I perma-glued a camera to them and it showed live footage on tv of everything their doing in public? would they like it? NO. SO STOP STARING

IndigoErth
07-14-2016, 03:13 PM
Not really ever, I'm not anywhere near interesting (or some other adjective) enough.

This makes me wonder how women feel when they know guys are checking them out in public places like the subway or on the bus or just walking on the street.
Depends on the person. Some people may like that someone is checking them out, for others... if unwelcome, yeah, that's uncomfortable.

No harm in checking someone out, but quick glances. No one should be a weirdo staring too long or too often.

As for people from India... Uh, yeah. I don't mean to generalize, but in my experience (after previous employment that had a lot of Indian immigrant shoppers) they just seem to have a rather different set of social norms/standards than do cultures such as mine. Maybe it's unintentional because they don't get it, but they do sort of have a tendency to come across as rude and lacking the concept of personal space. (I mean not all are bad though, I've also had some great co-workers in the past that are also immigrants from there and have adapted well.)

Powder
07-14-2016, 05:08 PM
I've been stared at my whole life, it's annoying as hell. It used to be 'cause I looked weird (had my punk phases & all that) but now I guess it's cause I'm big? I'm about 6'3 300 lbs, ZZ Top beard, "nerd glasses", which I guess is a fairly striking appearance where I live presently (an area full of rednecks & preps, little else). But whatever, I allow passing glances, it's the ones who don't break their look for 20 seconds that I outright confront. & they never say sh*t back.

thundermaster612
07-14-2016, 06:26 PM
I went to Taekwondo and everyone stared at me for looking down. I CAN SEE STRAIGHT WHEN I LOOK DOWN. ITS JUST THAT I DONT LIKE PEOPLE SEEING MY FACE. I DONT LIKE PEOPLE SEEING ME AT ALL. **** YOU HUMANS.

Powder
07-14-2016, 06:32 PM
Calm down, Mewtwo.

CyberCubed
07-14-2016, 06:34 PM
I just look like a regular white guy so nothing about me stands out. Brown hair, I'm only 5'6''. I'm relatively thin and I don't wear glasses.

You can't even pick me out from a crowd.

IndigoErth
07-14-2016, 06:38 PM
about 6'3 300 lbs
they never say sh*t back
I bet not! :tlol: Only a fool...

As "advanced" as we are compared to other creatures, it's interesting imo the old stuff that's still true for us as it is for many other animals. Even to modern day humans a prolonged stare is perceived as a threat.

An unwelcome stranger deciding to hang out in your yard or otherwise mess with your property is bound to hit territorial feelings.

Still just primitive beasts deep down... lol

Aaronardo
07-14-2016, 06:45 PM
I'm a ginger so I stick out, but I'm terrible at noticing things. Maybe I get stared at, maybe not. I'll say I do for now just to make myself feel better. :lol: I honestly wouldn't care if people did. I mean, if it's not 2am in a back alleyway, people can stare at me all they want, I don't really care.

My girlfriend, though, that is one of her big pet peeves. A lot of people stare at her. And she knows when it happens. So she'll come talk to me a lot worried when people stare at her. I get a bit apprehensive, but then I remember the one time I saw someone stare at her, she had said something dumb in a sarcastic way pretty loudly, so, eh.

Shark_Blade
07-14-2016, 07:07 PM
Just stare back with a horny face. Lick your lips while you're at it.

You could go places.

http://i.imgur.com/kpgiSgS.gif

IndigoErth
07-14-2016, 07:11 PM
The only starers I've dealt with much are those people who don't break eye contact during a conversation, just want to burn their eyes into yours. Creepy people who don't get that is uncomfortable outside closely bonded relationships. Why don't they feel the discomfort? One person who did that was a teacher I had for college. Geeze, buddy, we're just discussing stuff to do with class, ease up. I hate that they never look away and force you uncomfortably to do so.

Side note... Staring was always a good tool against siblings as a kid though, right? (That, and almost touching them, maintaining about an inch or less of distance between your pointer finger and them.)

"Mooooom! (S)he's looking at me! Make her/him stop!"

What, you think your sibling is going to get in trouble for looking at you? What kind of parent is going to punish that?? :trazz: Some of the best sibling torture devices right there. :tlol:

Just stare back with a horny face. Lick your lips while you're at it.

You could go places.
Comment + avatar = immediately pictured that it's Raph doing that at some point. :lol: (Run! Run away!)

Cure
07-14-2016, 08:55 PM
I don't care. Look but don't touch.

Maybe a little touching.

CyberCubed
07-14-2016, 09:08 PM
This sounds a bit like paranoia. Everyone randomly stares at strangers for a bit walking around outside and you don't even realize it.

Refractive Reflections
07-14-2016, 10:03 PM
If a person dresses, looks, or acts different from the cultural norm (whether that be in there choice of clothes, their appearance, and/or their behavior), it's understandable that people will take notice and stare. Or maybe a bigger question to ask is, would one dress/behave the same way as if one could never be seen/noticed at all (how one dresses/acts home alone vs. being in public)?

I'm antisocial. I always get stared at. No racism but especially by Indians. So how do you think I feel. Why are they even staring. How would they feel if I perma-glued a camera to them and it showed live footage on tv of everything their doing in public? would they like it? NO. SO STOP STARING

As for people from India... Uh, yeah. I don't mean to generalize, but in my experience (after previous employment that had a lot of Indian immigrant shoppers) they just seem to have a rather different set of social norms/standards than do cultures such as mine. Maybe it's unintentional because they don't get it, but they do sort of have a tendency to come across as rude and lacking the concept of personal space. (I mean not all are bad though, I've also had some great co-workers in the past that are also immigrants from there and have adapted well.)

I'm pretty sure it's more or less cultural shock/adjustment from a more conservative Eastern culture, typically most Eastern cultures are collective and not individualistic (as in Western culture).

Prowler
07-14-2016, 10:21 PM
Not really ever, I'm not anywhere near interesting (or some other adjective) enough.

Depends on the person. Some people may like that someone is checking them out, for others... if unwelcome, yeah, that's uncomfortable.

No harm in checking someone out, but quick glances. No one should be a weirdo staring too long or too often.

Actually, I only remember getting stared at by an Indian once. But it seems they have a tendency to do that after all :lol:

I just look like a regular white guy so nothing about me stands out. Brown hair, I'm only 5'6''. I'm relatively thin and I don't wear glasses.

I am 183cm(5'11-6'ft) tall. Not short but not exactly super tall either. And I'm not strong or burly, so I doubt I look threatening to anyone.

This sounds a bit like paranoia. Everyone randomly stares at strangers for a bit walking around outside and you don't even realize it.
Making eye contact for like 2-3 seconds is normal and that is not staring. Obviously we don't walk around looking at the floor. I'm talking about someone staring at you for like 15 seconds.

snake
07-14-2016, 11:09 PM
Don't stare, don't get stared at

Prowler
07-14-2016, 11:10 PM
let's visit some small towns and villages in India, Japan, China and Korea and get stared at by the locals, guys.

snake
07-14-2016, 11:12 PM
let's visit some small towns and villages in India, Japan, China and Korea and get stared at by the locals, guys.

As long as it isn't the hood

Prowler
07-14-2016, 11:13 PM
As long as it isn't the hood
Well I doubt you'll find many hoods in Japan or Korea. In India there's plenty of impoverished and dangerous areas, actually. It's not a very peaceful country.

Powder
07-14-2016, 11:15 PM
There are definitely areas of Japan where you'd get your ass kicked for being out of place.

IndigoErth
07-14-2016, 11:15 PM
As long as we do so as a group and decked out in plenty of TMNT 'regalia' to maximize the effect. Crazy Turtle tourists. They'll be talking about it for years to come.

CyberCubed
07-14-2016, 11:17 PM
Do you guys want to get yourselves killed? Or at least badly injured?

You guys are asking for trouble.

Prowler
07-14-2016, 11:23 PM
There are definitely areas of Japan where you'd get your ass kicked for being out of place.
As in literally? I know Japan can be xenophobic at times, but you never really hear stories of xenophobic violence there. Just institutional discrimination and such.

I'd rather venture into a random Japanese village than into a random Russian one, er example. Now Russia, that is a country with a reputation for being unwelcoming.

Do you guys want to get yourselves killed? Or at least badly injured?

You guys are asking for trouble.
LOL do you really think people in Korea, Japan, China and India are going around killing foreigners? :lol:

CyberCubed
07-14-2016, 11:25 PM
LOL do you really think people in Korea, Japan, China and India are going around killing foreigners? :lol:

I'm a white boy. Step into the wrong neighborhood and its all over for me.

Prowler
07-14-2016, 11:28 PM
I'm a white boy. Step into the wrong neighborhood and its all over for me.
I'm not suggesting going to hoods. But small towns and vilalges.

Japan had really low criem rates, man. And in their villages you'll find old as f*ck people. They're not gonna kill you, man. :P

Now, some neighbourhoods in Europe that are mostly consisted of Middle Eastern, Gypsy and/or African immigrants... not gonna go there.

Unworthy tinker
07-14-2016, 11:38 PM
I usually don't notice if somebody's staring unless I'm buying something and y'know, have to pay attention. The only time I ever noticed the cashier said "have a nice day sir!" Just can't help but to wonder what threw them off about my gender though. What, a girl can't buy a Pokemon game?

Powder
07-15-2016, 12:19 AM
As in literally? I know Japan can be xenophobic at times, but you never really hear stories of xenophobic violence there. Just institutional discrimination and such.

As with any country, there are areas with lots of clubs/bars, where you can score weed, hookers, etc. & they're notorious for taking advantage of tourists, businessmen, & the otherwise meek. A lot of joints are actually Yakuza run, so there are hoodlums all over the place.

Prowler
07-15-2016, 12:22 AM
As with any country, there are areas with lots of clubs/bars, where you can score weed, hookers, etc. & they're notorious for taking advantage of tourists, businessmen, & the otherwise meek. A lot of joints are actually Yakuza run, so there are hoodlums all over the place.
Oh you mean that. Thought you were referring to cities, regions or villages in specific.

Yeah no way I'd go to a place like that.

CyberCubed
07-15-2016, 01:44 AM
How do you know which bar/club is safe to walk into and which isn't? I mean you wouldn't expect a popular one in the middle of a popular district to have seedy elements, would you?

Prowler
07-15-2016, 01:52 AM
How do you know which bar/club is safe to walk into and which isn't? I mean you wouldn't expect a popular one in the middle of a popular district to have seedy elements, would you?
Maybe go to the more famous bars or ask people what the best places are? Shady ones are more low profile, I'd guess.

ProactiveMan
07-15-2016, 02:48 AM
I catch the train to work, and people either stare at their phone or at other people, so I often catch someone staring. I’m fairly tall, and I never sit on the train even when it’s empty, so I guess I stand out. I’d like to think it’s my devastating good looks, but it’s more likely that my head is touching the roof.

Powder
07-15-2016, 04:37 AM
Oh you mean that. Thought you were referring to cities, regions or villages in specific.

Yeah no way I'd go to a place like that.

Well I mean, there are bad areas everywhere. I don't remember specific names but I knew someone spent time over there & told me about some real bad necks.

MsMarvelDuckie
07-16-2016, 07:54 PM
When you're a sexy beast like me, you get stared at all the time.

I think it's the scraggly beard, long mane of hair, and white jacket that I wear backwards with the hands sewn into the pockets.

LOL, that was a good one, Cy!! I'll have to remember that.

Funny thing, I used to actually be the one starting at people my senior year in high school- I did it in my drama class a lot- I'd pick someone out of the class (I was in the drama 1 class, so I was the only senior in a class full of freshmen and a few sophomores- and one junior who caught on to my game) and stare at them until they "felt" it (ie became aware of my staring) and then I'd give them my most sadistic, evil grin. Wigged the poor freshmen out so bad, LOL! This was also in the middle of my dark/Gothic (not Goth clichee) vampire novel phase, so of COURSE everyone thought I was a psycho, nuts, Satanist, etc.... Fun times....

I am! If someone stares at me, I stare right back and keep it going until they feel uncomfortable. Gets the point across pretty well, and most people can't keep it up as long as I can.

Funny, the last time I did that, I ended up chasing the guy off- it was during that attempted robbery (and I use the term loosely because the guy was clearly high on something and completely off his rocker) of the gas station I worked in overnight at the time. I ended up using a sawed-off shovel handle to beat him with, and THEN he pulled out a three inch screwdriver as a "weapon". (See? Told ya he was out of his gourd!) Needless to say, the cops were really surprised to learn that a 5 ft 100 lb female ran off a 6'6" 300+lb black guy. But I'm like a rabid Chihuahua- small but vicious!!

Why, have they noticed you staring again? just kidding. It really depends on the guy(s) in question and HOW they are staring. If there is obviously intent behind it, it's uncomfortable- if it's just ogling, well, some women like it, others just ignore it or get annoyed.

Bet you'd make a great serial killer- no one could pick you out of a line-up, LOL!!!

Netkeeper
07-21-2016, 10:48 AM
I get stared at a lot when I'm in public and I know it's because some people have a hard time telling my gender so they think staring at me will solve the problem or something. The other day when I was at jury duty the sheriff was telling people to follow me and would refer to me as "that person" as opposed to "that man" or "that woman". One time in Wal-Mart a worker went to ask if I needed any help but this poor guy couldn't decide whether to call me ma'am or sir so he said "C-c-can I help you? Sir? Ma'am? Sir? Ma'am? ...I'm so sorry"

I take it all in good humour though. I'm a short **** with a high pitched voice and a young-looking face. People are gonna wonder especially if I'm not dressed in anything particularly "masculine".

Papenbrook
07-22-2016, 10:20 AM
Sometimes, people would stare at my body for a long time. It's really creepy.

Mew
07-22-2016, 10:32 AM
Once I was stared at for wearing a Top Hat.

snake
07-22-2016, 10:48 AM
I get stared at a lot when I'm in public and I know it's because some people have a hard time telling my gender so they think staring at me will solve the problem or something. The other day when I was at jury duty the sheriff was telling people to follow me and would refer to me as "that person" as opposed to "that man" or "that woman". One time in Wal-Mart a worker went to ask if I needed any help but this poor guy couldn't decide whether to call me ma'am or sir so he said "C-c-can I help you? Sir? Ma'am? Sir? Ma'am? ...I'm so sorry"

I take it all in good humour though. I'm a short **** with a high pitched voice and a young-looking face. People are gonna wonder especially if I'm not dressed in anything particularly "masculine".
Up until recently I had a hard time figuring it out as well. I think it's the hairstyle which is used on both guys and gals

Prowler
07-22-2016, 11:11 AM
Well I mean, there are bad areas everywhere. I don't remember specific names but I knew someone spent time over there & told me about some real bad necks.
This reminds me of that video of a white guy pissing off Japanese nationalists:

lZHwZhNUX50

If this was not a public place with cameras and reporters, he prolly would have gotten beaten up

Netkeeper
07-22-2016, 12:13 PM
Up until recently I had a hard time figuring it out as well. I think it's the hairstyle which is used on both guys and gals
Yeah, I know that's part of it too. Imagine how bad it was when I kept it long! :lol:

Jester
07-22-2016, 12:56 PM

I dunna...a 5'6" man could be a bit jarring.

Icebot
07-22-2016, 01:10 PM
People don't stare at me often but when they do I don't like it and it makes me uncomfortable.

Netkeeper
07-22-2016, 01:12 PM
That's about how tall my brother is but it usually isn't very jarring.

Powder
07-22-2016, 01:16 PM

http://www.dlf.com/Files/Images/dlf.com/Turf%20Solutions/Consumer%20shade%20Copyright.jpg

It was subtle, but he threw it. :tlol:

Jester
07-22-2016, 01:45 PM
That's about how tall my brother is but it usually isn't very jarring.

I guess I'm just gauging this on being 6 even. 5'6" is a full half a foot shorter.

CyberCubed
07-22-2016, 03:59 PM
5'6'' is a pretty standard height for a white boy.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-22-2016, 04:05 PM

Really? Sounds fairly short to me.

Zak The Neutrino
07-22-2016, 04:08 PM
I get stared at a lot. I think is probably the nerd tshirts I wear. I was getting stared at by a few parents today when I took my son to Chuckie Cheese. I was assuming it was because I was wearing a TMNT funko shirt.

Typically if they are really staring I will stare back or make faces at them. It usually creeps people out so they stop. haha

Netkeeper
07-22-2016, 04:10 PM
I guess I'm just gauging this on being 6 even. 5'6" is a full half a foot shorter.
And whoops, I'm 4'11"!

Powder
07-22-2016, 04:11 PM

Not really, 5'10 is the average.

CyberCubed
07-22-2016, 04:16 PM
Even at 5'6'' I'm only a tad shorter than everyone I've ever known. Most girls except for some really talls ones are around my height or shorter like 5'4'' or 5'5''.

As I said I'm a white boy living in New York. I don't have foreign genes from Europe and I'm not from the midwest or south so its pretty standard for me.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-22-2016, 04:28 PM
Even at 5'6'' I'm only a tad shorter than everyone I've ever known. Most girls except for some really talls ones are around my height or shorter like 5'4'' or 5'5''.

As I said I'm a white boy living in New York. I don't have foreign genes from Europe and I'm not from the midwest or south so its pretty standard for me.

Foreign genes from Europe...

Where do you think your white skin comes from, Pinky? :trazz:

CyberCubed
07-22-2016, 04:32 PM
Well I meant of modern times.

I find this strange, are people really tall where you live? In New York most of the tallest people are black people and a few taller white guys around 5'8'' but that's about it. Most spanish people I see are around my height are shorter, same with all the Asians and Indians.

I don't really look much shorter than the average person walking around. As for being a, "adult man," I look at least 5-6 years younger than I am, so that's probably a point too.

Powder
07-22-2016, 04:53 PM
As a New Yorker, I am qualified to say you're full of sh*t.

Jester
07-22-2016, 05:03 PM
My dad's 5'11" I think....My sister is 5'9". My Mom is 5'4" and my wife's 5'2".

Average height for men is 5'10" and the average woman is 5'4".

Netkeeper
07-22-2016, 05:43 PM
All you people are skyscrapers, including CyberCubed.

Redeemer
07-22-2016, 06:08 PM
And whoops, I'm 4'11"!

If it makes you guys feel better my great-grand father was 4'8 and his wife was 4'6 respectively :lol:
Their son was 6'1 and I am 5'10 so yeah :lol:

CyberCubed
07-22-2016, 06:16 PM
Must be something in the genes then. Some people have a very diverse genepool because of mixed races or whatnot.

Prowler
07-22-2016, 09:52 PM
Older people in my country tend to be pretty short. In fact, I think my country must have one of the shortest average heights in Europe. That being said, many young people here are in the 5'10-6'1 category, such as myself. My brother is 189cm tall which is... 6'2?

Tallest people on average in Europe are Scandinavians, the Dutch and also some Balkan populations. Some people in Croatia and Serbia are tall as hell.

Where are your ancestors from, Cubed? i remember you saying in a thread once that you had ancestors from Spain and Turkey? Those aren't exactly the tallest people on average in Europe. I guess you don't have Scandinavian, Dutch or Serbian-Croatian ancestors?

Netkeeper
07-22-2016, 10:04 PM
I have Dutch ancestors and I'm a short ****.

Prowler
07-22-2016, 10:06 PM
I have Dutch ancestors and I'm a short ****.
Talk about bad luck.

But in all seriousness, obviously not everyone there is a giant. All the women I've seen in my life that were taller then me(like 7-10?) were Dutch, however.

Netkeeper
07-22-2016, 10:09 PM
Talk about bad luck.

But in all seriousness, obviously not everyone there is a giant. All the women I've seen in my life that were taller then me(like 7-10?) were Dutch, however.
Yeah I have a [female] Dutch friend that's tall too and I'm just like. Please go to the store with me to help me reach things on the top shelf. Our dollar store puts toys up there, it's awful.

Prowler
07-22-2016, 10:11 PM
Yeah I have a [female] Dutch friend that's tall too and I'm just like. Please go to the store with me to help me reach things on the top shelf. Our dollar store puts toys up there, it's awful.
Sometimes at the supermarket, older women ask me to get stuff from the highest shelves for them, since they're too short to reach it.

Netkeeper
07-22-2016, 10:16 PM
Sometimes at the supermarket, older women ask me to get stuff from the highest shelves for them, since they're too short to reach it.
I've never actually asked anybody for help in that situation before, at least not at the store. I get too scared to.

Prowler
07-22-2016, 10:18 PM
I've never actually asked anybody for help in that situation before, at least not at the store. I get too scared to.
They'd be real dicks if they refused to do that for you. I've never once refused such a request.

snake
07-22-2016, 10:43 PM
Cubed the manlet

Prowler
07-22-2016, 10:53 PM
Cubed the manlet
Must suck being a short man. I already struggle with the issue of being scrawny. If I was also short I'd be doomed.

CyberCubed
07-22-2016, 10:58 PM
I don't even feel short though. I don't know where some of you live that everyone is giants because that's not the case here.

Do you guys think most females are short? Many of them hover around 5'4''-5'6'' or so besides some really tall women.

Prowler
07-22-2016, 11:07 PM
I don't even feel short though. I don't know where some of you live that everyone is giants because that's not the case here.

Do you guys think most females are short? Many of them hover around 5'4''-5'6'' or so besides some really tall women.
People above 5'7 are not giants at all.

Most guys I see here usually fall in the 5'7-6' category, I'd say.

Redeemer
07-23-2016, 12:27 AM
Must be something in the genes then. Some people have a very diverse genepool because of mixed races or whatnot.

Honestly it was bc my great grand father was a twin and he was 1 of 16 boys. He was simply the runt of the litter.

Netkeeper
07-23-2016, 09:25 AM
Hey, to me, all you ****ers are tall and nothin' is gonna change that. :tgrin:

I like being short, though. Some of you straight guys might like the benefits, girls are always calling me cute and saying they want to hug me or hold me or pick me up or something. Guys say it too but not as often :V

Prowler
07-23-2016, 10:25 AM
Hey, to me, all you ****ers are tall and nothin' is gonna change that. :tgrin:

I like being short, though. Some of you straight guys might like the benefits, girls are always calling me cute and saying they want to hug me or hold me or pick me up or something. Guys say it too but not as often :V
I am above average height and wouldn't say I'm very successful. But I would not want to be shorter. I wish I could reach 187cm(6'1-6'2), but oh well can't have everything.

ProactiveMan
07-23-2016, 11:20 AM
I'm not saying I wish I were shorter, but I would like to be able to buy cloths from regular shops, and have a choice between more than three different kinds of shoe. It would be cool if my back didn't explode in my early thirties too.

Prowler
07-23-2016, 11:25 AM
I'm not saying I wish I were shorter, but I would like to be able to buy cloths from regular shops, and have a choice between more than three different kinds of shoe. It would be cool if my back didn't explode in my early thirties too.
Yeah the taller you are, the more neck and back problems you'll have. It is hard for me to keep a godo posture at times.

My brother being 189cm/6'2 tall makes it hard for him to buy shoes often.

Netkeeper
07-23-2016, 01:05 PM
I have to buy my shoes from the boys' section. Plenty of my shirts come from the boys' section still too, but that isn't the nightmare shoe shopping is, because my foot size is in a super awkward area -- too large for there to be any variety in the boys' section that I can wear, and too small for hardly anything in the men's section. When I had to get non-slip shoes for a job, I had to get women's.

Mew
07-23-2016, 01:18 PM
I have to buy my shoes from the boys' section. Plenty of my shirts come from the boys' section still too, but that isn't the nightmare shoe shopping is, because my foot size is in a super awkward area -- too large for there to be any variety in the boys' section that I can wear, and too small for hardly anything in the men's section. When I had to get non-slip shoes for a job, I had to get women's.
Could you wear one of those TMNT roleplay Battle Shells with it looking correct? This may sound like an incredibly stupid question, but I have one and it looks akward because it doesn't cover my whole back.

Why don't they make the Battle Shell in adult sizes? :x

Powder
07-23-2016, 02:26 PM
Being tall/long limbed/etc isn't an experience made solely of perks, trust me.

One outing in particular comes to mind, a date I went on. She came by to scoop me up in her little sedan, I could barely get my legs in there, once I did, I had an insane struggle getting my feet through the door & under the dash (in addition to being around 6'3 I wear size 15's). We laughed it off, but damn, I felt like a sardine in her car. We went to a park, the kind that is just miles of forest, with a lake, hills, all that jazz. You know, to walk around & get acquainted in the beauty of nature. Which worked out just fine except for the fact I wacked my head on some tree branches. :tlol: Somehow none of that worked against me & the night went as I hoped it would otherwise. But still.

& any time my boys pick me up to do a show or something & I have to sit in the backseat, my head is pressed against the ceiling/roof. I have to slump down like a drunkard otherwise I'm getting scalped with my knees pressed against the seat.

Netkeeper
07-23-2016, 03:09 PM
Could you wear one of those TMNT roleplay Battle Shells with it looking correct? This may sound like an incredibly stupid question, but I have one and it looks akward because it doesn't cover my whole back.

Why don't they make the Battle Shell in adult sizes? :x
I have no idea, never tried one. But it is my feet that are small, the rest of my body is proportional, and if it was made for children there's a good chance it won't fit or would fit me very uncomfortably. My boys' shirts are all in the extra large sizes.

Mew
07-23-2016, 03:31 PM
I have no idea, never tried one. But it is my feet that are small, the rest of my body is proportional, and if it was made for children there's a good chance it won't fit or would fit me very uncomfortably. My boys' shirts are all in the extra large sizes.
Oh. Thank you. I meant, for the battle shell, that because you said you were short, that the shell would look more proportional. Say, if someone was as...I'll draw it, it's hard to explain..
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/b8/48/9f/b8489f8fa8726f89fc0dfac7a82bbb44.jpg

Netkeeper
07-23-2016, 03:33 PM
...You know, it might, in that case.

Mew
07-23-2016, 03:35 PM
...You know, it might, in that case.
I knew I wasn't crazy.

MsMarvelDuckie
07-23-2016, 08:46 PM
Dont feel bad Net. You are NOT alone. I am only 5' myself and I have the same clothing issues as you do- only it's worse because I'm female and have little choice in the shoes department. Try finding high heels for a formal event in a kid's size 3! It just AIN'T gonna happen. Same goes for shoes appropriate for work. Everything in my size is either character themed or has colored parts that pretty much scream "this is a kids shoe!" And I have to have BLACK slip resistant shoes. Anybody here know how HARD it is to find something like that?! I end up having to go two sizes too big in the women's shoes to find something that is allowed at the job. And then I'm uncomfortable because my feet move around in them all day.

The funny part is that I know EXACTLY where my size came from. At least four generations on my mom's side that were all 5'6" or under. My granddad was 5'2". Mom is under 4'. My greatgrandmother was as well. I have a running joke in my family that because we have Irish roots that someone in our family tree was boinking leprecauhns. Sometimes I wonder if we have hobbit in our blood.

Netkeeper
07-23-2016, 09:05 PM
Sometimes I wonder if we have hobbit in our blood.
"Hobbit" is what my classmates called me when I was in theatre. :V

MsMarvelDuckie
07-24-2016, 01:59 PM
The worst part for me is knowing that in spite of my hubby being 6', I have passed along my family's short stature to our daughter- she's as short as I was at her age and shows no signs of growing out of the "hobbit" size. Apparently leprecauhn genes override everything else....

The upside is that she was diagnosed early with a thyroid condition- it's possible that it runs in my family and it was just never discovered.

Prowler
07-24-2016, 02:03 PM
Most people in my family are/were of average height, men and women alike, I think. One of my grandfathers was pretty short, though. I'm glad I didn't inherit his height genes. :lol:

thundermaster612
07-24-2016, 07:36 PM
I'm 5 foot 9 I think? I'm unsure about the 9 part. Is that weird for a 16 year old? Because when I tell people my age their like "Da fuq y u so tall?!" (and no, their not being sarcastic) but I feel it isn't really average for me

Powder
07-24-2016, 07:36 PM
Not at all, that's fairly average. You've got another 5-6 years of potential growth, too. Weren't you 14 when you joined in November though...?

CyberCubed
07-24-2016, 07:49 PM
People still grow after 15-16? I don't think I've ever gotten any taller since when I was 16.

snake
07-24-2016, 07:51 PM
I'm 5 foot 9 I think? I'm unsure about the 9 part. Is that weird for a 16 year old? Because when I tell people my age their like "Da fuq y u so tall?!" (and no, their not being sarcastic) but I feel it isn't really average for me

Not at all, that's fairly average. You've got another 5-6 years of potential growth, too. Weren't you 14 when you joined in November though...?

As a manlet, I cry. I look like a 5th grader next to my friends.

plastroncafe
07-24-2016, 07:59 PM
People still grow after 15-16? I don't think I've ever gotten any taller since when I was 16.

It depends. I believe the average cis girl stops growing around that time, because of how estrogen affects the growth of long bones.

The average cis boy can continue to grow into his very late teens and early twenties thanks to the affect of testosterone on the growth of long bones.

Though, it's been a long time since I've studied anatomy, so it's possible this is inaccurate information.

CyberCubed
07-24-2016, 08:52 PM
Very strange. By the time I was 16, which I guess I was in 11th grade, is pretty much where I reached the height I am today. I was always one of the shortest kids in the class, so it makes no difference.

Sometimes I think I haven't changed at all in over 10 years. I'm sure you can believe it.

snake
07-24-2016, 09:37 PM
cis.

Confederacy of Independent Systems? Are you calling me a traitor to the Republic?

Commenter 42
07-24-2016, 09:41 PM
Confederacy of Independent Systems? Are you calling me a traitor to the Republic?

http://emojipedia-us.s3.amazonaws.com/cache/f8/69/f869f6512b0d7187f4e475fc9aa7f250.png

Cure
07-24-2016, 09:43 PM
It depends. I believe the average cis girl stops growing around that time, because of how estrogen affects the growth of long bones.

The average cis boy can continue to grow into his very late teens and early twenties thanks to the affect of testosterone on the growth of long bones.

Though, it's been a long time since I've studied anatomy, so it's possible this is inaccurate information.

Do gay people not grow the same? I am honestly asking since you kept saying cis.

Commenter 42
07-24-2016, 10:13 PM
Do gay people not grow the same? I am honestly asking since you kept saying cis.

Someone is very fond of labels on everyone, but them.

snake
07-24-2016, 10:32 PM

LGBTQWERYUIOPASDFGHJKLZXCVBML people are obviously genetically superior because they're speeshul

Prowler
07-25-2016, 02:44 AM
I think it is possible for people to grow until their early 20s. My brother was 187cm tall back when he was 18-19 and since then has gained 2 centimetres.

I, too, have not grown up since I was 16-17. Been 183cm(6 feet) for nearly a decade now.

plastroncafe
07-25-2016, 09:15 AM

Cis doesn't have anything to do with being gay.

Cure
07-25-2016, 10:11 AM
Yeah, OK. You know what your problem is? Instead of taking an opportunity to educate someone who is legitimately curious and asking, you choose to play semantics over proper use of terminology. You could have corrected me AND answered the question you know I was trying to ask, but nope.

Maybe that's the problem with the people who constantly yell about these things.

Mew
07-25-2016, 10:20 AM
"I have some buttered toast here that I need to consume"- Vinesauce Vinny
:tcool:

Netkeeper
07-25-2016, 10:39 AM
Cis is the opposite of trans. If you're not trans, you're cis. It has nothing to do with sexuality

LGBTQWERYUIOPASDFGHJKLZXCVBML people are obviously genetically superior because they're speeshul
AND ****ING STOP IT RIGHT THE **** NOW, I'M SERIOUS.

Netkeeper
07-25-2016, 10:41 AM
Trnas people are different medically than cis people because they often get hormone replacement therapy in adulthood though some lucky bastards get it when they're teens

Cure
07-25-2016, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the answer, NETKEEPER.

plastroncafe
07-25-2016, 11:15 AM
Yeah, OK. You know what your problem is? Instead of taking an opportunity to educate someone who is legitimately curious and asking, you choose to play semantics over proper use of terminology. You could have corrected me AND answered the question you know I was trying to ask, but nope.

Maybe that's the problem with the people who constantly yell about these things.

So...you'd be happy for the correction if I'd have used different words to make it, and I'm the one getting dressed down for playing semantics.

Okay, because your Google appears to be broken.

Cis is a term borrowed from chemistry. It relates to how groups are attached to molecules. If they're on the same side, they're called cis.

If they're on opposite sides, they're called trans.

Cis people are people who's outward genotype and phenotypic primary and secondary sexual characteristics match what they believe to be their gender.

Genotype refers to one's genetic code/DNA
primary sexual characteristics are your sexual organs
secondary sexual characteristics are things that distinguish gender, but arn't directly related to reproduction. Breasts, facial hair, that sort of thing.

Trans people are people for whom these things don't necessarily match at the outset.

Human development isn't black and white.

Prowler
07-25-2016, 11:16 AM
Is it just me or does every damn thread lately turn into a big argument? This is why we can't have nice things.

Netkeeper
07-25-2016, 11:18 AM
Trans people are people for whom these things don't necessarily match at the outset.
to be more specific its that the trans brain is WIRED for those things to be there and they aren't and it's wrong.

plastroncafe
07-25-2016, 11:19 AM
to be more specific its that the trans brain is WIRED for those things to be there and they aren't and it's wrong.

Exactly. Yes. This.

The human genome is very plastic.

Netkeeper
07-25-2016, 11:25 AM
isn't it """"""""funny""""""""" how people think being trans is a choice that someone could actively choose to have a brain like that and would do it to be fake people or deceive others or some other stupid self-centred ******** reason people that refuse to understand something even slightly different from them might say

they should all drop dead.

Prowler
07-25-2016, 11:27 AM
isn't it """"""""funny""""""""" how people think being trans is a choice that someone could actively choose to have a brain like that and would do it to be fake people or deceive others or some other stupid self-centred ******** reason people that refuse to understand something even slightly different from them might say

they should all drop dead.
I don't think anyone has said that ITT thus far.

Netkeeper
07-25-2016, 11:28 AM
I don't think anyone has said that ITT thus far.
doesnt matter, everyone that thinks it should be brutally murdered.

Prowler
07-25-2016, 11:29 AM
doesnt matter, everyone that thinks it should be brutally murdered.
Calm down, man.

plastroncafe
07-25-2016, 11:32 AM
For a communal species we're awful self centered, and resistant to change.

I mean, one need only look at this thread and how people flipped out when I threw a three-letter modifier into my sentences to find proof of it.

It happens, but it's happening less, so at least there's that.

Netkeeper
07-25-2016, 11:33 AM
Calm down, man.
i'm perfectly 100% calm,. typing this from my couch and wrapped in a blanket.

i've just accepted that i'm going to die soon and i know when, when i didnt know these things before.

Prowler
07-25-2016, 11:34 AM
For a communal species we're awful self centered, and resistant to change.

I mean, one need only look at this thread and how people flipped out when I threw a three-letter modifier into my sentences to find proof of it.

It happens, but it's happening less, so at least there's that.
Huh only snake made fun of the term cis ITT thus far. And Cure only asked an innocent question.

DarthRaphael
07-25-2016, 11:54 AM
Well this is a beautiful thread. locking in 3.... 2... 1.....