PDA

View Full Version : Turkey under Martial Law

Commenter 42
07-15-2016, 05:32 PM
July is only half over, and it's easily the most brutal Sumer we've had in years.

I'm genuinely afraid of where all of this is headed.

Commenter 42
07-15-2016, 05:48 PM
Turn on CNN this is crazy!!!!!

ToTheNines
07-15-2016, 06:41 PM
Wow... scary. If we could just get some insane news from our friends in North Korea, I'd probably lose all my hair.

Commenter 42
07-15-2016, 06:44 PM
CNN's Turkey was just taken over by Turkish military.

CyberCubed
07-15-2016, 06:57 PM
And on top of that Russia is mobilizing for war, with the west being concerned:

http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2016/07/09/474379/Russia-NATO-troop-deployment-Poland-Baltic-states-US-Crimea

NinjaPug
07-15-2016, 07:11 PM
This **** is scary. WW3 is coming.

CyberCubed
07-15-2016, 07:18 PM

People thought 9/11 was the brink of WW3, it didn't happen then, it won't happen now.

The only thing that could really kickstart it is North Korea doing something really stupid and then Russia, China and all of Europe getting involved. But I doubt that.

snake
07-15-2016, 07:32 PM

It won't happen.

TurtleTitan97
07-15-2016, 09:29 PM
Geez. First Paris is attacked again, now this. Scary stuff. :(

Utrommaniac
07-15-2016, 09:35 PM
From what I've seen, this is happening because the military got sick of how regressive their president had been in recent years. It's still scary, and the coup appears to have failed.

MikeandRaph87
07-15-2016, 09:48 PM
Ut was a faction within the military that attempted and ultimately failed to remove the president. Soldiers are currently being charged with treason and arrested.

Prowler
07-15-2016, 10:33 PM
Erdogan is a clown, so him being gone would be better for everyone.

CyberCubed
07-15-2016, 10:51 PM
Apparently the coup failed and the soldiers turned themselves in. Many suspect they'll be charged with treason and either executed or locked in jail for who knows how long. Feel sorry for them, they're as good as dead.

Commenter 42
07-15-2016, 10:59 PM
Erdogan called for his Islamic supporters to take to the streets and stop the Military from the Coup.

And the US publicly backed him. That's crazy. The Turkish Military is there to protect democracy, and stop theocratic/autocratic rulers.

I know it's more complicated, but ... is it?

ToTheNines
07-16-2016, 03:51 AM
https://apologiachristian.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/pc_e18fd7b9b59905014162a58ded3c9d9b.jpg

Commenter 42
07-16-2016, 04:01 AM
So much turmoil derived from a fundamental lack of education.

Totalitarians love the poorly educated...

Katie
07-16-2016, 05:52 AM
Erdogan called for his Islamic supporters to take to the streets and stop the Military from the Coup.

And the US publicly backed him. That's crazy. The Turkish Military is there to protect democracy, and stop theocratic/autocratic rulers.

I know it's more complicated, but ... is it?

Its not complicated at all. The US supports him because he was democratically elected by the people. The coup failed because he called on the public who elected him to take to the street and show the lower level military who were doing the coup who they wanted. And they did. Its amazing really. The coup was anti-democratically elected leader. The people did their will.

Fwiw, the higher level military leaders did not apparently support this coup.

The Turkish president is an interesting fellow, but he is popular with Turks and especially everyday blue collar Turks. I see no confusion as to why the population came out for him.

ETA: The likely reason for the coup is that followers of a prominent Thelogian wanted his followers to overthrow the more secular current government. This guy wanted stricter following of Islam in the country. Originally his people supported the president, but now they do not.

Dude lives in Pennsylvania.

Mayhem
07-16-2016, 05:58 AM
If you look at history, having an uprising or coup attempt in Turkey is de riguer every 10-15 years anyhow...

Raven
07-16-2016, 07:15 AM
Didn't Egypt have a similar issue a few years back?

Etsyturtle2
07-16-2016, 07:40 AM
Is thanksgiving over?:cry:

Katie
07-16-2016, 08:19 AM
Didn't Egypt have a similar issue a few years back?

Yes, and its not the end of the world. Coups happen alot around the world. They don't end in ww3,4,5,6....

And Russia is not a problem,whoever said that up there. Or China, or any other normal country. No one is going to start a world war because we all know how devastating that would be to all involved. Including us.

Seriously the only real scary country out there is North Korea because they are delusional and don't seem to follow conventional thinking and behavior. KJFatty has nukes that can reach the US, but I'd wager China will eventually put them in their place because they would prefer we not come blow up a country on their border.

ToTheNines
07-16-2016, 08:31 AM
I wish China and South Korea would mop the floor with them.

Commenter 42
07-16-2016, 10:06 AM
So, none of the news outlets got the story right?

snake
07-16-2016, 11:00 AM
NK really seems like they're capable of starting a war. Would they actually do it? Who knows. But that doesn't stop Cartman from making threats every 3 months.

TheSkeletonMan939
07-16-2016, 11:05 AM
NK really seems like they're capable of starting a war. Would they actually do it? Who knows. But that doesn't stop Cartman from making threats every 3 months.

They're totally capable of starting a war. The problem is they'd end up being the biggest losers.

The Deadman
07-16-2016, 11:08 AM
Yes, and its not the end of the world. Coups happen alot around the world. They don't end in ww3,4,5,6....

And Russia is not a problem,whoever said that up there. Or China, or any other normal country. No one is going to start a world war because we all know how devastating that would be to all involved. Including us.

Seriously the only real scary country out there is North Korea because they are delusional and don't seem to follow conventional thinking and behavior. KJFatty has nukes that can reach the US, but I'd wager China will eventually put them in their place because they would prefer we not come blow up a country on their border.

Russia's a normal country now? :o

Is thanksgiving over?:cry:

Yes and winter is coming.

CyberCubed
07-16-2016, 07:06 PM
The total is 194 dead, 1,195 injured according to CNN.

What a waste of life. Just think nearly 200 people dead and over 1,000 injured....for what? The coup failed. People literally threw away their lives.

Its hard to believe we're in the modern year of 2016 and this happens. You'd think we're back in the early 1900's or something.

TheSkeletonMan939
07-16-2016, 07:26 PM
Its hard to believe we're in the modern year of 2016 and this happens.

Why do people say this? The year 1350 was a pretty modern year back in 1350. I seriously don't understand how the current year being the current year makes people shocked when events like this happen. Coups have happened throughout human history all the time, regardless of what year it was or how "modern" of a year it was. Every new year is modern.

Katie
07-16-2016, 07:49 PM
The total is 194 dead, 1,195 injured according to CNN.

What a waste of life. Just think nearly 200 people dead and over 1,000 injured....for what? The coup failed. People literally threw away their lives.

Its hard to believe we're in the modern year of 2016 and this happens. You'd think we're back in the early 1900's or something.

So, just because its 2016 there should be no coup? Suppose a dictatorship was overthrown by the people. Thats a coup. Is it bad that people want their will done? Just because we live in a stable country doesn't mean they all are.

Those people that did the coup were doing what they thought were right. The Turks didn't agree with them.

We once had our own coup. Two actually. Just because our last one was in the 1850s doesn't mean another one couldn't happen some day if peopke here were angry enough.

CyberCubed
07-16-2016, 09:35 PM
Because nowadays people are a lot more informed about the world due to the internet and the better education of the world in general. Hundreds of years ago people had no idea what was going on outside their country and the world was essentially isolated as a whole.

Even in the 1900's-1950's whatever news was spread by propaganda newspapers and the radio. This is largely why World War I and II happened. Nobody had any idea what the hell was going on. This is also why the Cold War almost led to nuclear war in the 60's too.

We're now in the age of the internet and communication. Not only do countries know what other countries are doing, all the common folk like you and me have the internet to read about this stuff and ongoing events as its happening...like we're doing right now for this matter at hand.

I feel this is all due to the older 50-60+ year old crowd still in charge of countries. Once they all die off in the next decades or so and get replaced by the younger crowd growing up in the modern world things will be a lot different. Even the fat cats son in North Korea aren't stupid enough to start at war because he's not living in the past like his father was.

This is the modern year. Its 2016 not 1916.

Prowler
07-17-2016, 01:32 AM
Because nowadays people are a lot more informed about the world due to the internet and the better education of the world in general. Hundreds of years ago people had no idea what was going on outside their country and the world was essentially isolated as a whole.

Even in the 1900's-1950's whatever news was spread by propaganda newspapers and the radio. This is largely why World War I and II happened. Nobody had any idea what the hell was going on. This is also why the Cold War almost led to nuclear war in the 60's too.

We're now in the age of the internet and communication. Not only do countries know what other countries are doing, all the common folk like you and me have the internet to read about this stuff and ongoing events as its happening...like we're doing right now for this matter at hand.

I feel this is all due to the older 50-60+ year old crowd still in charge of countries. Once they all die off in the next decades or so and get replaced by the younger crowd growing up in the modern world things will be a lot different. Even the fat cats son in North Korea aren't stupid enough to start at war because he's not living in the past like his father was.

This is the modern year. Its 2016 not 1916.
There will always be good and bad leaders. Just like there will always be cruel leaders.

The internet is a great invention, yes, but you're giving it way too much credit. It's making things more easily accessible, but not necessarily making the world a better place. Lots of misinformation spreads throughout the internet, and just because you can access a lot of great data on it, that doesn't mean a lot of people do it.

Commenter 42
07-17-2016, 01:34 AM
Facebook and Twitter were shut down during the coup.

CyberCubed
07-17-2016, 01:35 AM
Fun fact: Turkey blocked access to facebook, twitter and youtube from their country as their coup was going on.

They know good and well people from their country and outside find this deplorable but they try to silence it. The internet is a perfect example of how the world being connected globally could put an end to this stuff.

These old fogey 50-60 year old dictators must go and be replaced by millennials growing up in the modern world. Its 2016 not 1816.

Prowler
07-17-2016, 01:41 AM
Fun fact: Turkey blocked access to facebook, twitter and youtube from their country as their coup was going on.

They know good and well people from their country and outside find this deplorable but they try to silence it. The internet is a perfect example of how the world being connected globally could put an end to this stuff.

These old fogey 50-60 year old dictators must go and be replaced by millennials growing up in the modern world. Its 2016 not 1816.
It also makes it easier for authoritarian leaders to monitor what their citizens are doing. You make it sound like those dictators don't have people working under them that know how to use the internet.

CyberCubed
07-17-2016, 01:52 AM
If all the world leaders were millennials the world would be a much safer place today. These old fogey's must go.

TheSkeletonMan939
07-17-2016, 06:54 AM
If all the world leaders were millennials the world would be a much safer place today. These old fogey's must go.

You mean if all leaders were like you? You have to be joking. The world would be in an awful position if its leaders were as informed and intelligent and ambitious as you.

Lots of millennials spend most of their time staring at the computer screen, and then turning around and staring at the TV, and being hooked into their cell phones any remaining time. That's why people like you are so shocked when something happens in the real world. They can't understand something that 's happening that doesn't relate to the television.

CyberCubed
07-17-2016, 11:46 AM
I'm talking about millennials who go into politics of course, what do you think the next wave of politicians for the next 50 years will be? All the current ones will be dead of old age and the new younger generation will be the current 25-30 year old adults who become the next world leaders.

Millennials want world peace because we've grown up in the modern world where racism, homophobia, and religious persecution is (mostly) a thing of the past besides close-minded bigots. We are the new age. It is all these 50+ year old world leaders who grew up in olden times where this stuff was rampant that they are stuck in their old world views.

Out with the old, in with the new I always say. Bring in some new young blood, and put these old disgruntled politicians out to pasture where they belong. Its 2016 not 1916.

Mzx10484
07-17-2016, 01:07 PM
Sounds quite well in theory, but I guess the next wave of politicians will be pupils of "the old". And the really powerful on earth will know how to prevent a takeover of the Millennials...

Prowler
07-17-2016, 01:23 PM
This is just your typical "my generation is better than yours!" cliché.

TheSkeletonMan939
07-17-2016, 03:16 PM
Its 2016 not 1916.

No sh!t, Sherlock.
Here's the nice thing about democracies: you have the option to vote for young people when they run for office. So instead of proposing a goofy Cubed New World Order run by the hip and young, try making it to the voting booth next time.

Prowler
07-17-2016, 03:17 PM
No sh!t, Sherlock.
Here's the nice thing about democracies: you have the option to vote for young people when they run for office. So instead of proposing a goofy Cubed New World Order run by the hip and young, try making it to the voting booth next time.
I doubt CyberCubed has ever voted in his entire life.

TheSkeletonMan939
07-17-2016, 03:24 PM
I really can't tell if Cubed honestly thinks that Millenials are too cerebral to start conflicts. A good chunk of the Internet (a resource largely used by millenials) is people fighting.

I can never tell if he's joking about something or being serious, even when he's talking about making Melissa Benoist his waifu. So it really scares me when he talks about stuff related to politics.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-17-2016, 03:38 PM
I doubt CyberCubed has ever voted in his entire life.

Whereas I'm pretty sure he has. (No idea who he'd support, though...)

Which of our two theories do you find worse? :trazz:

Prowler
07-17-2016, 03:41 PM
I really can't tell if Cubed honestly thinks that Millenials are too cerebral to start conflicts. A good chunk of the Internet (a resource largely used by millenials) is people fighting.

I can never tell if he's joking about something or being serious, even when he's talking about making Melissa Benoist his waifu. So it really scares me when he talks about stuff related to politics.
CyberCubed's gimmick is pretty much a satire of some of the worst aspects of our society, I think. So you shouldn't worry about CC himself since he's just one man and he probably isn't even being completely serious about the controversial things he says. What should concern you are the people he parodies/satirizes in his internet gimmick.

Whereas I'm pretty sure he has. (No idea who he'd support, though...)

Which of our two theories do you find worse? :trazz:
Well, he seems to like Obama, so I'm guessing he's voted for him?

CyberCubed
07-17-2016, 03:47 PM
In this topic I'm being 100% serious, I assure you.

Prowler
07-17-2016, 03:51 PM
In this topic I'm being 100% serious, I assure you.
It would not be surprising. Lots of people think their generation is the best one. Many young people say that "racism will be gone once all the old people die!" while many older folk will say "young people today are wimps and don't want to work!"

Back in my grandmother's day(in the 30s-40s), old people would look at her and her friends and say "young people today have WAY too much freedom. Life was so much harder in the 19th century!"

CyberCubed
07-17-2016, 04:29 PM
Technically I don't think I'm even a millennial. What is the first year you have to be born to be considered a millennial? I was born in the 80's.

MikeandRaph87
07-17-2016, 05:38 PM
Technically I don't think I'm even a millennial. What is the first year you have to be born to be considered a millennial? I was born in the 80's.

1982-2000 births are Generation Y aka Millennials.

ToTheNines
07-17-2016, 05:46 PM
Yes, millennials will fix everything!

Can't wait until Papenbrook runs for office.

CyberCubed
07-17-2016, 05:59 PM
Millennials are now 30-35 year old adults, i.e. the ripe time for the next politicians and world leads. The oldest millennials were born in the 80's, we're all 30 year olds now.

Coola Yagami
07-17-2016, 06:22 PM
I wonder what's stopping a coup after this election goes through. Wether Trump or Hillary wins, we all lose, and we shouldn't have to stand for it.

CyberCubed
07-17-2016, 08:04 PM
I wonder what's stopping a coup after this election goes through. Wether Trump or Hillary wins, we all lose, and we shouldn't have to stand for it.

The only people who think Hilary is bad are conspiracy theorists who have had an agenda against her for years. Is she a saint? Of course not, but she's nowhere as bad as either Bush, what Trump would be like, or half the other presidents that never did anything notable.

ToTheNines
07-17-2016, 08:58 PM
You're uneducated.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-17-2016, 09:04 PM
You're uneducated.

I usually don't agree with you when you butt heads with Cubed.

But you're right, you know...

CyberCubed
07-17-2016, 11:03 PM
Politicians aren't always to blame when wars are going on. People are unfortunately going to get killed in duty, there's not much that can be done. Soldiers put their lives on the line and those that fall in duty we honor their sacrifice.

Prowler
07-18-2016, 12:54 AM
I don't like Hilary. She seems like an arrogant bitch. Plus, as much as a lunatic as Trump might be, Hilary seems to like her warfare.

1982-2000 births are Generation Y aka Millennials.
Which I think it's quite bogus. Someone born in 1982 can't be from the same generation as someone born in 2000. Their childhoods and teenage years were quite different as was the world they grew in.

Yes, millennials will fix everything!

Can't wait until Papenbrook runs for office.
Jesus man, don't scare us like that.

Allow me to paint a more frightening scenario.

2024 Presidentials

CyberCubed vs. Papenbrook

CyberCubed
07-18-2016, 01:08 AM
Gens should be separated by decades. Even kids who grew up in the 80's are vastly different than ones in the 90's.

Prowler
07-18-2016, 01:54 AM
Gens should be separated by decades. Even kids who grew up in the 80's are vastly different than ones in the 90's.
I was born in 1990. My brother in 1983. We're definitely not from the same generation.

Commenter 42
07-18-2016, 03:01 AM
Wouldn't it be awesome, for once, if we acted on the **** we say?

Nobody likes choice A or B.

Trump has 40 % amongst republicans polled.
Hillary has 40% amongst democrats polled.

Polling requires the sorts of folks who bother to answer a poll.

Even still, that means 60% of the folks who care enough to answer a survey, want somebody else.

What happens if the country just does what it wants? If everyone who hated either actually gave their vote to Gary or Jill, one of them would have to win!

We don't have to have a Trump or a Clnton. The math actually works for the other parties.

ToTheNines
07-18-2016, 06:41 AM
Chillingly relevant.

4v7XXSt9XRM