PDA

View Full Version : Should I Switch Back to Windows 7

Shiro Kame
07-16-2016, 10:17 PM
I've only had Windows 10 for about two days, and I've already got problems.

The internal microphone is either too low volume or Open Broadcast Software won't properly detect it. I haven't had this problem before switching to 10. There is also two copies of the same speaker in the Recording tab of the Sound section.

The noise output will not automatically switch between headphones and speakers. When I tried to fix it, headphones is on default device while speakers is on default communication device.

Seriously, wtf!? Should I just switch back at this point? Because I'm at the end of my rope!

Also, Microsoft is supposedly using the program to spy on people. I'm just so...discouraged and stressed...

MsMarvelDuckie
07-16-2016, 10:24 PM
I would love to tell you yes about switching back, but unfortunately, most net services won't be supporting 7 for much longer- and many already don't, like you-tube. (It FORCED me to upgrade, or lose all you-tube access!). I ran into problems with it myself when I switched to 10, and as much as I'd love to go back, it would be pointless now because so much of the net is now supporting 10 only.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-16-2016, 10:37 PM
Not sure what you're talking about, Duckie... I'm on 7 both at home and at work, and have no issues with YouTube or anything else.

Cure
07-17-2016, 03:32 PM
I got a new laptop with Windows 10 as soon as it came out and it's been great, but if it's not working for you, then maybe switching back is best. Just take it easy, though, not worth stressing out over.

MsMarvelDuckie
07-17-2016, 09:53 PM
Not sure what you're talking about, Duckie... I'm on 7 both at home and at work, and have no issues with YouTube or anything else.

My browser gave me a message a couple of months ago when I was trying to get on yt that it would no longer be supporting my version of Windows and it required an upgrade to 10. I did so and it finally worked, but it is not as user-friendly as 7 IMO.

Mayhem
07-18-2016, 10:27 AM
It's actually the browsers not the OS here I believe Duckie. I'm on W7 and Firefox plays up occasionally with YT (and only since the last version or two), but Chrome does not.

TheSkeletonMan939
07-18-2016, 10:38 AM
Also, Microsoft is supposedly using the program to spy on people. I'm just so...discouraged and stressed...

Windows 10 doesn't spy on you - at least as far as anyone has been able to figure out - but there is a clause in their privacy statement that says that they could if they wanted to.
The operating system also, by default, uses your own internet bandwidth by default to "seed" other people's downloads of Windows 10. That's right, Microsoft has designed its operating system to work like a torrent client.

I also find it very fishy how Microsft is tricking (http://www.pcworld.com/article/3073457/windows/how-microsofts-nasty-new-windows-10-pop-up-tricks-you-into-upgrading.html) and lying (http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/01/02/microsoft-windows-7-problems/#70c740b36a55)to customers in order for them to get their crappy new OS.

I've been very careful about making sure my computer NEVER auto-updates to Windows 10. Windows 8.1 is hard enough to use and I hear Windows 10 is impossible to navigate. I wish I still could use Windows 7 or XP.

The Deadman
07-18-2016, 10:49 AM
I had Windows 10 when it first launched and it kept forcing my computer to constantly restart. Eventually I reverted back to 7 and now I'm getting popup reminders about the deadline for the free upgrade at the end of the month.

TigerClaw
07-18-2016, 11:28 AM
I been using Windows 10 ever since and never ran into any problems, its pretty smooth here.

MsMarvelDuckie
07-18-2016, 09:49 PM
It's actually the browsers not the OS here I believe Duckie. I'm on W7 and Firefox plays up occasionally with YT (and only since the last version or two), but Chrome does not.

That might explain it. I use IE but for some reason when it upgraded it switched the default to whatever 10 uses, and it insists on my search engine being Bing which I hate. And I'm too tired of trying to figure this stupid version out to mess with changing it back. It even glitched up my tether so the thing didnt recognize it to connect this past week. It eventually fixed itself but I was out of net for almost three days on ny pc. Been using my phone only. I should orobably switch browsers but installing anything has been a pain with this system. It didnt even want to let me use my media player that lets me screencap.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-18-2016, 10:38 PM
That might explain it. I use IE but for some reason when it upgraded it switched the default to whatever 10 uses, and it insists on my search engine being Bing which I hate. And I'm too tired of trying to figure this stupid version out to mess with changing it back. It even glitched up my tether so the thing didnt recognize it to connect this past week. It eventually fixed itself but I was out of net for almost three days on ny pc. Been using my phone only. I should orobably switch browsers but installing anything has been a pain with this system. It didnt even want to let me use my media player that lets me screencap.

You use IE? That's your problem right there. :trazz:

Firefox or Chrome.

tmnt transformer
07-18-2016, 10:48 PM
Your best bet honestly would be to switch to Mac. I did once they stopped supporting xp. I haven't had a problem since. (And Mac has boot camp that works as a virtual windows 7 unit.)

ProactiveMan
07-19-2016, 01:40 AM
There are always driver problems when you upgrade your OS - if you know who made the hardware you're having trouble with, download a new driver from them rather than relying on Windows 10 to get it right because sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. To be fair, it would be really difficult for Microsoft to distribute the best drivers for every piece of hardware available.

In my opinion, downgrading to 7 isnít a great option long term. 10 runs better in general, and itís more secure Ė you just have to relearn a few things. I work on 7 all day, and have 10 at home, and to me they feel pretty similar.

TheSkeletonMan939
07-19-2016, 11:07 AM
There are always driver problems when you upgrade your OS - if you know who made the hardware you're having trouble with, download a new driver from them rather than relying on Windows 10 to get it right because sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. To be fair, it would be really difficult for Microsoft to distribute the best drivers for every piece of hardware available.

I bought my computer in March of last year. I think it had Windows 8.1 on it from the start, and ever since I bought it, it's had driver problems, forcing it to restart without warning sometimes. I'd like to download a new driver to fix this problem, but to do that I'd need to turn on auto-update, and I'm piss-scared it'll automatically download Windows 10 without my permission. Does anyone know if that would actually happen?

tmnt transformer
07-19-2016, 06:26 PM
I bought my computer in March of last year. I think it had Windows 8.1 on it from the start, and ever since I bought it, it's had driver problems, forcing it to restart without warning sometimes. I'd like to download a new driver to fix this problem, but to do that I'd need to turn on auto-update, and I'm piss-scared it'll automatically download Windows 10 without my permission. Does anyone know if that would actually happen?

According to some reports I've seen, it seems that the 10 update is a major thing under automatic updates. I would play it safe if I where you and turn off automatic updates for a while, just until they start charging for 10.

ProactiveMan
07-19-2016, 07:30 PM

If you know which hardware drivers are acting up, you don't need auto updates on to install new ones - just download them from the company that makes the hardware.

It's not ideal to have auto updates completely off either. I think Windows 10 will only install itself if you have the 'install recommended updates' on rather than just security updates. It's best to do the security ones automatically.

Shiro Kame
07-20-2016, 11:37 AM
As someone who's had Windows 7 for almost 5 years, I'm pretty sure that you have to either buy Windows 10 from Microsoft or click on the "I Accept" when they ask if you want to download Windows 10.

TheSkeletonMan939
07-20-2016, 11:46 AM
... I'm pretty sure that you have to either buy Windows 10 from Microsoft or click on the "I Accept" when they ask if you want to download Windows 10.

Not quite.
If you have your update options set up so that "recommended updates" auto-install, you get Windows 10 without your permission. Sometimes it tries to trick you into installing it anyway by quietly changing your settings.

MsMarvelDuckie
07-20-2016, 05:08 PM
I had to click the accept button. Even if you have it set to auto-install it will ask you to accept the terms before it will actually install it. And yes it does like to change your settings. I have had that issue a few times since switching.

Cy the main reason I use IE is because it is easy to navigate and settings are simple to understand and use; also I am not especially good with computers to begin with. I've had to teach myself in the fly for even the things I DO know. Messing with downloading and installing apps and software is not something I want to deal with unless absolutely neccessary.

Edit: I had Firefox on my old pc but never bothered to install it on this one because I didnt really see a need for it. Might do so eventually but IE worked fine. Now that its using whatever the default browser for 10 is called I might need to change it assuming I can ever get 10 to let me use something else. It doesn't seem to want to share space with other software.....

thundermaster612
07-20-2016, 08:23 PM
The mic problem is on OBS itself. Just adjust the audio tab or change your mic settings in your control center. The speakers/headphones thing is the computer's problem, not the program, just the computer. For me just mullying (mulling, mulleying what?) works.

Netkeeper
07-21-2016, 11:42 AM
You use IE? That's your problem right there. :trazz:

Firefox or Chrome.
This. IE and Edge both are disgusting and every web designer hates you for using it, and Microsoft's desperation in getting people to try and use IE by renaming it Edge only makes it that much more loathsome and sketchy.

And yes it does like to change your settings. I have had that issue a few times since switching.
This is the only Windows 10 problem I have actually had. Other than that, I like it just fine, but it ain't no Windows 7. I'm about to downgrade my desktop actually, my laptop works wonderfully with 7 and I'll never change it lmao, though my all-in-one will stay Windows 10.

...I did acquire a third and fourth computer recently in case nobody was aware.

Cure
07-21-2016, 11:44 AM
This. IE and Edge both are disgusting and every web designer hates you for using it, and Microsoft's desperation in getting people to try and use IE by renaming it Edge only makes it that much more loathsome and sketchy.

Edge and Internet Explorer are two different things. You can use either in 10, even though you shouldn't.

Netkeeper
07-21-2016, 12:05 PM
Edge is literally a fancier IE. I've used it. It feels so much like Microsoft is desperately trying to copy Google and Mozilla and it's pathetic.

Browser-wise the only major one I trust is Firefox, anyway. Microsoft and Google as corporations have way too much power. I'm not using their browsers on principle [though Chrome is a nice browser].

Cure
07-21-2016, 12:09 PM
OK, but Internet Explorer hasn't been renamed, is my point. That's all.

TigerClaw
07-21-2016, 12:21 PM
Internet Explorer is still in Windows 10, you can find it in the Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer directory

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-21-2016, 01:03 PM
Edge is literally a fancier IE. I've used it. It feels so much like Microsoft is desperately trying to copy Google and Mozilla and it's pathetic.

Browser-wise the only major one I trust is Firefox, anyway. Microsoft and Google as corporations have way too much power. I'm not using their browsers on principle [though Chrome is a nice browser].

My man, thank you for being intelligent.

Chrome is shiny, but Mozilla is a .org, not Google.

Netkeeper
07-21-2016, 01:09 PM
Oh, okay. When I called Edge a renamed IE I was basically saying that it's just a dressed up IE, wasn't being literal.

Though I'm sure it began as a renamed IE. :lol:

MsMarvelDuckie
07-23-2016, 09:57 PM
That is true Net. And it is the default, and has Bing as the default search. I hate Bing.