PDA

View Full Version : TMNT 2 BattleNexus (PS2/Xbox/GameCube)

Prowler
07-17-2016, 02:00 PM
Remember this game? It was the 2nd 4Kids based TMNT video game.

I got this game around Spring 2005(weird time of the year to get gifted a game by your parents) and I must say I was quite into it for a couple of months. It was quite repetitive(go in a room, attacks enemy, wait for him to get up, rinse and repeat) and quite hard in later stage.s The Foot HQ and the Ancient Japan worlds were pretty damn tough. Each enemy took like 5-6 hits to die. Fortunately, the game had cheat codes that made it easier at times. I won't lie... I've used the invincibility cheat code a couple of times :lol:

I liked the cutscenes made for it, mainly the inclusion of a new character, Slashuur, which would become playable. What I didn't like, however, was how the 4 Turtles shared the same health bar. And also how repetitive and brainless the gameplay was for the most part. Also, when the game was hard it was hard. Especially the BN tournament mode. I don't think I've ever gotten around to complete that mode. Oh and how can you have the original TMNT Arcade game in it... and not have its original OST in it? But two alternate versions of the BattleNexus game boss fight and new york city streets themes?

I liked the levels where you raced around collecting coins. It had a kick ass tune as well.

It's strange really. I had a lot of fun with this game back in Spring/Summer of 2005, but would never want to play it nowadays. Every time I tried to play it again I found it bad.

This thread is about the domestic consoles release of it only since the GBA version of it was a different game altogether.

DevilSpooky
07-18-2016, 01:42 AM
Remember this game? It was the 2nd 4Kids based TMNT video game.

I got this game around Spring 2005(weird time of the year to get gifted a game by your parents) and I must say I was quite into it for a couple of months. It was quite repetitive(go in a room, attacks enemy, wait for him to get up, rinse and repeat) and quite hard in later stage.s The Foot HQ and the Ancient Japan worlds were pretty damn tough. Each enemy took like 5-6 hits to die. Fortunately, the game had cheat codes that made it easier at times. I won't lie... I've used the invincibility cheat code a couple of times :lol:

I liked the cutscenes made for it, mainly the inclusion of a new character, Slashuur, which would become playable. What I didn't like, however, was how the 4 Turtles shared the same health bar. And also how repetitive and brainless the gameplay was for the most part. Also, when the game was hard it was hard. Especially the BN tournament mode. I don't think I've ever gotten around to complete that mode. Oh and how can you have the original TMNT Arcade game in it... and not have its original OST in it? But two alternate versions of the BattleNexus game boss fight and new york city streets themes?

I liked the levels where you raced around collecting coins. It had a kick ass tune as well.

It's strange really. I had a lot of fun with this game back in Spring/Summer of 2005, but would never want to play it nowadays. Every time I tried to play it again I found it bad.

This thread is about the domestic consoles release of it only since the GBA version of it was a different game altogether.

Same reason TMNT TIT Re-Shelled had different music from the original, they just lost the rights to re-release the game with the original OST.

Prowler
07-18-2016, 01:53 AM
Same reason TMNT TIT Re-Shelled had different music from the original, they just lost the rights to re-release the game with the original OST.
Thought that was only possible to happen with games that had soundtracks instead of just video game BGM.

DevilSpooky
07-18-2016, 06:50 AM
Thought that was only possible to happen with games that had soundtracks instead of just video game BGM.

Video game OST are composed by, well, composers, some are employers of the people making the game, others are comissioned by them, not only that but Music licensing is different from other media licensing, and are actually a lot more complicated to deal with, and their composers actually own most if not all the tracks they create, even for something like games.

That's why you have some problems like Japanese games being released overseas with completely different OSTs, or re-releases/remakes needing completely new OSTs.

Prowler
07-18-2016, 08:19 AM
Video game OST are composed by, well, composers, some are employers of the people making the game, others are comissioned by them, not only that but Music licensing is different from other media licensing, and are actually a lot more complicated to deal with, and their composers actually own most if not all the tracks they create, even for something like games.

That's why you have some problems like Japanese games being released overseas with completely different OSTs, or re-releases/remakes needing completely new OSTs.
Tbh I never really thought about that. Makes sense, now that you mention it.

Had no idea that happened with Japanese games that got released overseas.

robb0226
07-18-2016, 03:14 PM
When I was younger I played the NES and SNES titles a ton but didn't get into a lot of the subsequent releases until the past few years. But when I was in college my friend and I did play through this whole game and beat it. It did get very monotonous, but it was still fun.

Turtles in Time is still my favorite.

DevilSpooky
07-19-2016, 01:41 AM
Tbh I never really thought about that. Makes sense, now that you mention it.

Had no idea that happened with Japanese games that got released overseas.

It usually happens with games based around Anime, but it has happened with others as well.

SwordofTengu
07-20-2016, 04:26 PM
I got it Christmas 2004, and it was pretty fun. I always was bad at it and couldn't get past some of the levels on D'Hoonib. I ended up using cheats and got to play every level of the game that way. It was also how I was able to play the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade Game (I didn't have the patience or money to beat it in the arcade).
I had it on GameCube, so hooray for 2 discs!

Prowler
07-21-2016, 02:09 AM
I got it Christmas 2004, and it was pretty fun. I always was bad at it and couldn't get past some of the levels on D'Hoonib. I ended up using cheats and got to play every level of the game that way. It was also how I was able to play the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade Game (I didn't have the patience or money to beat it in the arcade).
I had it on GameCube, so hooray for 2 discs!
I had the GC version as well. But it having 2 discs was really weird. At first I thought the 2nd disc had some extra content, but no. When you reach the Triceraton Republic... you gotta change discs. What, was there no space left in the first disc? Isn't that strange? It's not like it was a huge game.

How many GC games required two discs?

DevilSpooky
07-21-2016, 06:36 AM
I had the GC version as well. But it having 2 discs was really weird. At first I thought the 2nd disc had some extra content, but no. When you reach the Triceraton Republic... you gotta change discs. What, was there no space left in the first disc? Isn't that strange? It's not like it was a huge game.

How many GC games required two discs?

It's not usually the game themselves that take that much space on the discs, for example the Final Fantasy VII game is included on it's entirety on each of the 3 discs that came in the case, but it's the cutscenes and musics instead, especially if they aren't compressed.

Shiro Kame
07-21-2016, 01:09 PM
I got it for XBox as a kid. I got my ass kicked a lot, so I quit and wouldn't play it until I was about 15-16. It got me back into TMNT 2003, which I'm glad for. Too bad the TMNT games after Mutant Nightmare for 2k3 were mainly mobile and Plug-and-Play after that.