PDA

View Full Version : If the turtles were to have their designs changed then how would you explain it?

thundermaster612
07-18-2016, 09:00 AM
Oh wowzers!!!! A thread related to this sections namesake?!?! Impossible!
Well anyways back on topic since a few people still don't like the PD movie designs either though they had improved it from the last movie (and I saw few cause a lot would be too much and a few is a bit less but its around the amount of people I suppose) so if the turtles were to get a complete redesign that would make them look less like '4 hulks' then how would you explain it? and what would you make them look like? design closest to which incarnation?
I like their design so I'm not gonna say anything but I do have a sort of backstory for it. They somehow got more purple ooze and they used it but it only temporarily changed them and when they changed back they were a bit more human than turtle so they had a smaller appearance or something. I don't know why I thought this up but it does put a spin on the "How would you redesign the PD turtles?" threads. The only reason I ask how you would design them is so that it can coincide with the backstory for more of an explanation. So enough rambling from me and some talk from you

Etsyturtle2
07-18-2016, 10:01 AM
I would do exactly what they did, but they'd all have red masks, Donnie would lose the tech stuff, and raph would ditch the do-rag.

Coola Yagami
07-18-2016, 11:04 AM
You don't. Because it would be a reboot. Not a sequel to this mess.

TheSkeletonMan939
07-18-2016, 11:06 AM
No one wondered about the story reason for why Yoda looked like a creepy puppet in The Phantom Menace and then a much more animated CGI character in Attack of the Clones. The technology just got better. There doesn't necessarily need to be a story reason for such animation improvements.

thundermaster612
07-18-2016, 11:21 AM
2 things.
1. I mean in the PD franchise. Not a reboot.
2. Like what if you changed the design to be like the 80s turtles. Would almost look nothing like the turtles from before.

Coola Yagami
07-18-2016, 11:31 AM
It's Turtles. It can be either two ways.

1. Some whatever-color Mutagen fell on them either in the movie, or it happened off camera
2. Everyone just kinda pretends that's how they always looked like. Bonus points if they show flashbacks and they still look different in those.

IndigoErth
07-18-2016, 11:42 AM
At this point, just moderate tweaks that are aren't too jarring of a change. Already tackled a couple of the major ones with tweaking Mikey's looks and letting up on Raph's massiveness; both an improvement when pay attention to it, yet it's vague enough it isn't distracting. (I still can't decide if they're any shorter this time around. Raph and Leo might look closer in height now?)

Only thing I'd still do with Leo and Donnie (as well as Raph and Mikey) is let up on the mass of the shells and how high it comes up above the shoulder. It doesn't have to be overdone in order to be noticeable and for the audience to get that they're mutants... Nor should a bunch of little sliders with far flatter shells mutate to have shells that look like they belong to land tortoises. (Might also help it seem a little better attached to their bodies...)

As for explaining that... meh. No need.

Candy Kappa
07-18-2016, 11:53 AM
Just give them a complete overhaul so they actually looks like Ninja Turtles, and no reference to the change. Have the movie pretend that's how they always looked like.

And give Amell his Arrow Flashback wig so he at least looks a little bit like Casey.

CyberCubed
07-18-2016, 11:54 AM
Someone should take a samurai sword and just chop off their noses.

Powder
07-18-2016, 12:53 PM
2. Like what if you changed the design to be like the 80s turtles. Would almost look nothing like the turtles from before.

You can't turn a ho into a housewife.

Panda_Kahn_fan
07-18-2016, 01:04 PM
Well, what I would do, given the circumstances, is pull something that would fix a LOT of problems besides just the altered appearance....

Start the movie with an animated cut scene of the Bay turtles, with Mikey Narrating a battle against the shredder. Then, Raph's voice cuts in and goes "Mikey, you know that's not what happened!" And we cut to the tmnt with their new designs, and find out Mikey's been telling somebody a story.

It turns out both bay movies were actually a story Mikey was telling to some new human friend. The basic sequence of events he told are true (two battles with the shredder, Saki mutating rocksteady and bebop, the battle with krang and stopping the technodrome, meeting April and Casey, etc.) But Mikey exaggerated a lot of the details, due to his love of superhero comics (Making the turtles giant beefed up hulks, changing their origin to make them lab experiments instead of Hamato Yoshi and four pet turtles he bought, turning April into Megan fox, Eric Sachs, the fart jokes and crude humor, etc.)

Basically reveal the first two movies DID (mostly) happen, just we've been viewing them through the wacky lens of Mikey's crazy imagination (he was a storyteller who aspired to be a novelist in another version, after all.) You start fresh with a cleared backstory, but no need to retread or explain the appearance change. We were listening to Mikey's stories while watching movies one and two.

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
07-18-2016, 03:03 PM
Perhaps use Baxter and say that he is into experiments on Genetic Mutation. If you want to add some more depth/backstory to Baxter...say that his mom or day or such had some kind of Physical Anomaly which affected him (he stuck to his room more to experiment/teach himself, as well as affected his mind frame and how he is Today). He wants to cure Physical Anomalies but now he has found 4 (unwilling subjects) to test them on.

He gives injections to the 4 Turtles (whether by darts, gas, or however else you want to do it), they get away/go back home/don't feel well...and they get transformed to the Turtles that we know and can relate to...

You can even do that last bit in a 'tongue in cheek' way. In most films, the lead characters would be horrified and talk about the 'pains of being changed and altered'.

But in this instance, just have Mikey by the only one horrified by it in an 'over the top manner' ("My Good Looks...My Precious, Good Looks...") while the other 3 think that they actually look better than they did before.

ToTheNines
07-18-2016, 03:06 PM
They're so ****ing ugly that literally no one would care.

IndigoErth
07-18-2016, 03:30 PM
Hey, in the right shots Leo and Donnie (more-so sans glasses) aren't half bad. :P

Mikey however has no business being horrified by a change of looks. :tlol: But it would suit him to react.

Though Leo was against changing himself in TMNT 2, so he might be a little pissed about it. Even if he didn't want to be human, no guarantee that he'd want to change in the other direction either.

thundermaster612
07-18-2016, 03:44 PM
You can't turn a ho into a housewife.

With a ton of psychology and counseling you can!
Well maybe...

thundermaster612
07-18-2016, 03:46 PM

Do you breathe through your ears?

Panda_Kahn_fan
07-18-2016, 04:51 PM
As I said in the last post, I still love the idea the whole Platinum Dunes turtles films came from Michelangelo's brain. If I recall the comics at some point, he actually was a fan of Micheal Bay movies, and would make something like a a story of him and his brothers in a bay movie up. I vaguely recall some lines;

"Right here with Micheal Bay!"

"You are no longer my brother."

RETTEB SNATAS
07-18-2016, 05:27 PM
I'd have Nolan direct a gritty ass film. Lots of blood and violence with a few laughs. Something like this when it comes to design, but with much more detail and a slightly bigger production.

ldC6krN7PNM

Of course id remove that sh*tty ass Mac and replace it with a Surface book instead. Dont know what they were thinking :P

MathUser
08-21-2016, 11:19 AM
No one wondered about the story reason for why Yoda looked like a creepy puppet in The Phantom Menace and then a much more animated CGI character in Attack of the Clones. The technology just got better. There doesn't necessarily need to be a story reason for such animation improvements.

They didn't give them human faces cause of old technology. Everyone knows that cause they made them look like that in a game too. It was a design choice. It probably woulda been easier animating turtle like faces than humans.

TerranigmaFreak
08-22-2016, 02:35 AM
The same excuse they gave when they changed the design in TMNT 3. You don't.

Jephael
08-22-2016, 01:20 PM
Well, what I would do, given the circumstances, is pull something that would fix a LOT of problems besides just the altered appearance....

Start the movie with an animated cut scene of the Bay turtles, with Mikey Narrating a battle against the shredder. Then, Raph's voice cuts in and goes "Mikey, you know that's not what happened!" And we cut to the tmnt with their new designs, and find out Mikey's been telling somebody a story.

It turns out both bay movies were actually a story Mikey was telling to some new human friend. The basic sequence of events he told are true (two battles with the shredder, Saki mutating rocksteady and bebop, the battle with krang and stopping the technodrome, meeting April and Casey, etc.) But Mikey exaggerated a lot of the details, due to his love of superhero comics (Making the turtles giant beefed up hulks, changing their origin to make them lab experiments instead of Hamato Yoshi and four pet turtles he bought, turning April into Megan fox, Eric Sachs, the fart jokes and crude humor, etc.)

Basically reveal the first two movies DID (mostly) happen, just we've been viewing them through the wacky lens of Mikey's crazy imagination (he was a storyteller who aspired to be a novelist in another version, after all.) You start fresh with a cleared backstory, but no need to retread or explain the appearance change. We were listening to Mikey's stories while watching movies one and two.

I love this idea! It would make for an interesting retcon.

Tora
08-22-2016, 08:47 PM
You don't. Because it would be a reboot. Not a sequel to this mess.

This. Sadly it would need a fresh take and new direction. As clunky as these Bay movie where I do have to say i'm glad we got an 80's toon based live action film out of them. Even if it was a bit hollow.

THGhost
09-01-2016, 08:55 PM
I'd actually like to see another fully animated TMNT movie, but not like the 2007 movie (yeeesh!). Make it traditionally animated, or CGI that looks traditionally animated.

Andrew NDB
09-01-2016, 11:26 PM
This. Sadly it would need a fresh take and new direction. As clunky as these Bay movie where I do have to say i'm glad we got an 80's toon based live action film out of them. Even if it was a bit hollow.

I'm glad you're pleased. Even if the collateral damage ended up being... foreseeable future-ish.

myconius
09-02-2016, 11:24 AM

PERFECT!!!! :lol:

myconius
09-02-2016, 11:30 AM
have the Bay Turtles go on a transdimensional adventure to another universe, and have them Mutate into proper looking TMNT.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-02-2016, 11:52 AM
Anybody ever heard the phrase "throwing good money after bad"? Or "cut your losses"?

THGhost
09-03-2016, 08:12 PM
Anybody ever heard the phrase "throwing good money after bad"? Or "cut your losses"?

Platinum Dunes apparently hasn't.

Tora
09-03-2016, 10:16 PM
I'm glad you're pleased. Even if the collateral damage ended up being... foreseeable future-ish.

:tcouch:......................................