PDA

View Full Version : Cool or Classless?

TheSkeletonMan939
07-19-2016, 10:50 AM
I just found this video. A couple kids learned that famous composer John Williams (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jaws, etc.) lived just down the road, so they played they Star Wars main title theme right in front of his house. The Maestro himself happened to be home; he came out and shook the boys' hands.

Ax_KcYR3KTI

Personally I think it's a disrespectful, rotten thing for those boys to have done, and it's just another example to me of how personal privacy is disintegrating more and more every day.
They're lucky Williams is one of the nicest, most humble men in the business and didn't get angry at them for targeting and bothering him. I hope this doesn't set a precedent for others to harass their favorite composer. I recognize it was all in good faith but it was still pretty rude to assume Williams would appreciate being targeted at his home.

In general: do you people are becoming less considerate of personal privacy? It's not just people not having respect for others' privacy; some don't have any respect for their own! I can go to Facebook, and some people will post their feelings and thoughts by the minute. I can read them like a book. I know it's their choice to post that stuff, but it's sort of creepy in a way.

Etsyturtle2
07-19-2016, 11:17 AM
How rotten.:x

Mew
07-19-2016, 11:20 AM
It's not disrespectful at all. They were trying to be sweet.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-19-2016, 11:22 AM
They're kids. It's perfectly fine.

Now, if it were adults doing this, that'd be different. Yes they may still be awestruck fans, but they'd be adults and supposed to know better.

But I have no problems cutting kids a little slack. If I knew where Hans Zimmer lived (and had even a modicum of musical talent in my bones), I'd totally fanboy over it.

And I'm old enough to know better. :tlol:

The Deadman
07-19-2016, 11:37 AM
"Disrespectful" "Rotten". It's not like they egged his house, they played a tribute to him. He appreciated it.

TheSkeletonMan939
07-19-2016, 11:39 AM
Lol, maybe "rotten" was too strong of a word.
Even if was a tribute it's not one I'd like to receive in front of my house.

In this one circumstance it was an okay thing to do, but not all men are as kindhearted as Williams.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-19-2016, 11:41 AM
Lol, maybe "rotten" was too strong of a word.
Even if was a tribute it's not one I'd like to receive in front of my house.

You're not a celebrity. Celebrities know what they're in for, love or hate the attention.

The kids were cool about it, and Williams was cool about it.

Now, if somebody like Cubed showed up at Melissa B's house... THEN that's utterly classless. (Shout out to my boy Cubed!)

#cubed&melissa4eva

snake
07-19-2016, 11:42 AM
I don't see anything wrong if it's one instance. Plus they did a good job and Williams didn't seem to mind. If some kids wanted to meet me I'd greet them

TheSkeletonMan939
07-19-2016, 11:43 AM
Now, if somebody like Cubed showed up at Melissa B's house...

That's one thing I actually would like to see on YouTube!
MB: Who the hell are you?
CC: It's me... CyberCubed, your soul mate.
MB: Get those gnarly fingers away from me! Are you the guy who's been tapping on my window every night?
CC: I used to have a body pillow with your image on it... but it's not enough anymore!
MB: Aieeee!

TheSkeletonMan939
07-19-2016, 11:45 AM
Overall what bothers me is the presumptuousness of the act, but maybe I'm just being fussy.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-19-2016, 11:45 AM
That's one thing I actually would like to see on YouTube!
MB: Who the hell are you?
CC: It's me... CyberCubed, your soul mate.
MB: Get those gnarly fingers away from me! Are you the guy who's been tapping on my window every night?
CC: I used to have a body pillow with your image on it... but it's not enough anymore!
MB: Aieeee!

Dude, she would jump into his arms and you know it.

snake
07-19-2016, 12:00 PM
More like

MB: Oh my god! It's Cybercubed!
CC: You know it babe
MB: I can't believe I'm meeting you!
CC: No supergirl compares
MB: I guess you can call me Melissa BenMOIST right now
CC: That's hot
MB: You're hot
CC: Wanna go read A Day Inside May?
MB: Hell yeah

Mew
07-19-2016, 12:07 PM
More like

MB: Oh my god! It's Cybercubed!
CC: You know it babe
MB: I can't believe I'm meeting you!
CC: No supergirl compares
MB: I guess you can call me Melissa BenMOIST right now
CC: That's hot
MB: You're hot
CC: Wanna go read A Day Inside May?
MB: Hell yeah
So, when Malissa and Cybercubed ____, would Cybercubed make her put on a PD Turtles mask? He would get mad at seeing the nostrils. Then he breaths really heavy and she gets more pleasure. It's a win-win.

snake
07-19-2016, 12:11 PM
So, when Malissa and Cybercubed ____, would Cybercubed make her put on a PD Turtles mask? He would get mad at seeing the nostrils. Then he breaths really heavy and she gets more pleasure. It's a win-win.

Sure why not

TheSkeletonMan939
07-19-2016, 12:13 PM
"I don't mean to brag, Melissa, but have you seen my post count? It's pretty... big."

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-19-2016, 12:23 PM
I shouldn't have started this. I regret everything.

Mew
07-19-2016, 12:30 PM
I shouldn't have started this. I regret everything.
Don't regret, just remember.

Well, I tried to sound spiritual and wise, but I realized that made no sense whatsoever.

GoldMutant
07-19-2016, 12:50 PM
Eh.... back on topic. :ohwell:

I thought the instrument playing was really good, especially for their ages. However, unless they personally contacted John Williams at his home through a visit or a sent email, it's certainly disrespectful. Case in point when Williams entered at 43 seconds, I don't think he knew of it and got curious, possibly getting ready to come outside and greet them. That's the main issue I have: did they contact him or stalk him?

It's fun to interact with celebrities and all, one example being Roddy Piper before his unfortunate death, but eh I'm kind of in the middle unless there's better context prior to the meeting.

Mew
07-19-2016, 12:55 PM
Eh.... back on topic. :ohwell:

I thought the instrument playing was really good, especially for their ages. However, unless they personally contacted John Williams at his home through a visit or a sent email, it's certainly disrespectful. Case in point when Williams entered at 43 seconds, I don't think he knew of it and got curious, possibly getting ready to come outside and greet them. That's the main issue I have: did they contact him or stalk him?

It's fun to interact with celebrities and all, one example being Roddy Piper before his unfortunate death, but eh I'm kind of in the middle unless there's better context prior to the meeting.
Honestly, I kinda doubt there was any background information. And actually, while the thought was really pretty cool, I can see how that does invade one's privacy. What if he didn't come outside, because he was doing something, and they just taped that after they finished. I would be rather pissed if a random stranger got me eating a Twinkie, or dancing akwardly when I thought no one was around.

TheSkeletonMan939
07-19-2016, 12:58 PM
It was not pre-arranged, as far as I can tell.

Interesting input from someone very connected to the film industry. (http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=116009&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=8&r=927#bottom)

"I called Poledouris. I did not come to his home uninvited.
I did not record my call.
I did not share that call with hundreds of thousands of people.
It predated social media and the escalation of privacy and saftey issues.
This predates email and composer websites. I would now use those as the respectful way to reach out."

TheSkeletonMan939
07-19-2016, 01:02 PM
or dancing akwardly when I thought no one was around.

That's exactly what happened to young Ghyslain Raza in 2002, when he was doing what we all secretly do in our free time: pretending he was in a lightsaber fight. He recorded himself and other kids got ahold of the tape, and uploaded it to YouTube without his permission with malicious intent.

HPPj6viIBmU

He later sued the families of the students who were involved and has been harassed ever since.

Powder
07-19-2016, 01:48 PM
It can both, no?

Mew
07-19-2016, 01:54 PM
That's exactly what happened to young Ghyslain Raza in 2002, when he was doing what we all secretly do in our free time: pretending he was in a lightsaber fight. He recorded himself and other kids got ahold of the tape, and uploaded it to YouTube without his permission with malicious intent.

HPPj6viIBmU

He later sued the families of the students who were involved and has been harassed ever since.
That's incredibly rude. I am no longer dancing. :tshifty:

IndigoErth
07-19-2016, 03:23 PM
Depends on the opinion of the home owner. Yes, if it is someone who does not wish to be bothered. If they kept it up for longer, esp if they knew or suspected he was home but was not coming out, that would be really rude to keep going.

As long as he doesn't mind and people aren't doing this crap to him all the time, then a couple band class kids doing that for just a minute - and not otherwise making an overdone nuisance of themselves - seems pretty harmless.

thundermaster612
07-20-2016, 08:20 AM
They should've knocked and asked if they could.

thundermaster612
07-20-2016, 08:21 AM

HPPj6viIBmU

He's actually not that bad. Well he's not good but he's not that bad.

TheSkeletonMan939
07-20-2016, 08:34 AM
They should've knocked and asked if they could.

Well that would have ruined the whole point, lol