PDA

View Full Version : The Works vs. The Complete Collections

Miles
07-21-2016, 01:02 PM
So I'm trying to downsize, and have decided that I can no longer afford to keep up with both of these hardback releases - any thoughts on which collection I should keep? The comics themselves I've only come across in the past couple of years, and while I really like them, I don't have the same nostalgic attachment to them as someone who might've read them during the 80's.

Any general thoughts on these two collections? I know there are a lot of you on here with far more knowledge than me, so I thought I'd see if anyone might offer some opinions. :ohwell:

Allio
07-21-2016, 02:03 PM
The complete collection. Is there any competition? I'm assuming you mean the ultimate collection

degausser
07-21-2016, 05:34 PM
not sure what the complete collection is unless you are talking about the ultimate collection? anything that isn't the works though. I have 3 of the works and they were all poorly made. falling apart like my IDW collection with raph on the cover. :x

Miles
07-21-2016, 07:41 PM
Yeah, sorry guys I meant The Ultimate Collection. :roll:

Cipher
07-21-2016, 10:22 PM
I have both. The Ultimate Collections are a little sturdier, and have the Eastman + Laird commentary -- which ranges from moderately amusing to pretty interesting.

The Works is still a nice line, though, and outside of a few questionable color choices, they look quite good.

If I had to get rid of one, I'd keep the Ultimate Collections.

TheBlueTurtle1
07-22-2016, 12:43 AM
I have both, both are great, but at a push the works is better. Colour just makes them better.

myconius
07-22-2016, 11:01 PM
'Ultimate Collections' definitely!!!
Annotations by Eastman & Laird, they release sooner, plus the ink used in 'The Works' smells funny to me.

RaphaelsIsolation
08-12-2016, 11:04 AM
Hey guys, been out of the game for awhile.

To give my input on this... out of the 2, I'd have to go with Ultimate Collection pretty easily.

They are black n' white, which is the way they were released in the mid 80s, so you get that sense of time, and they have the very well done annotation after each issue. Sometimes you want a little more from Laird, but it is well done. They don't blab on much really, which I guess is nice in some ways.

The Works are cool for sure, they are mainly a gimmick release, but they are worth owning if you're hardcore fan type. If you don't know, the works are basically more fun looking ultimate collections, in color, WITHOUT annotations and in the very back you just get the covers of all the books laid out in a 2 page spread.

Like I said, if you can afford just 1 of them, like myself. Utimate all the way.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-12-2016, 11:10 AM
Go for the Black and White (Ultimate).

funatic
08-13-2016, 04:52 AM
I don't own either but I agree from what I've seen that Ultimate is the way to go if you don't own the issues in any other format. I've got my own internal debate going tho - I own all the individual comics (which are in b/w), but would really love to get the City At War arc collected for readabillity. I was leaning toward Ultimate as b/w is how the story was intended to be read, but then there's the issue with duoshade tones in vol 4 which was a bit offputting, plus already owning the story in b/w makes me wonder if going with the Works for a fresh take w/color is the better option? . . . Or do I wait and hope they release a big softcover collection of the whole arc in one book someday? :trazz:

thundermaster612
08-13-2016, 05:49 AM
I only have the 1st Ultimate Collection book. I've seen the Works at some other stores and the Ultimate one is better. More stuff, more comics, more durability.

myconius
09-13-2016, 07:25 AM
i wonder which collection was finally decided upon?

and the correct answer to downsizing is-

keep BOTH!!!!

downsize by getting rid of some Marvel or DC comics that might be lingering around.
more than likely it's already been retconned and isn't cannon anymore anyway. :lol:

liugeaux
09-14-2016, 03:50 PM
I agree, keep them both. The ultimate collections are great, minus the weird printing errors, and my natural instinct says go with the b&w. But when I got my hands on the works I was convinced they are the best way to read those old books. They're beautiful, and cleverly designed.

Besides the sets really compliment each other. Having them on a shelf next to each other looks really good.

myconius
09-14-2016, 09:25 PM
I agree, keep them both. The ultimate collections are great, minus the weird printing errors, and my natural instinct says go with the b&w. But when I got my hands on the works I was convinced they are the best way to read those old books. They're beautiful, and cleverly designed.

Besides the sets really compliment each other. Having them on a shelf next to each other looks really good.

it'd be great if they put out The Works vol. 6. but i doubt it'll happen.

pferreira
09-15-2016, 08:40 AM
it'd be great if they put out The Works vol. 6. but i doubt it'll happen.Why not? Don't they need to put out one more?

myconius
09-15-2016, 04:42 PM
Why not? Don't they need to put out one more?

just a feeling i've got.

there were some problems with limited stock upon release of 'The Works vol. 5'

even when they were releasing the single issues as 'Color Classics vol. 3' the comic store i shop at, myself and one other person were the only ones buying them.

pferreira
09-22-2016, 08:51 AM
just a feeling i've got.

I hope we do get it.

Miles
09-22-2016, 04:23 PM
i wonder which collection was finally decided upon?

and the correct answer to downsizing is-

keep BOTH!!!!

downsize by getting rid of some Marvel or DC comics that might be lingering around.
more than likely it's already been retconned and isn't cannon anymore anyway. :lol:

Ha ha. I actually never decided anything, really. Since our local Hastings have gone out of business, there's no place to sell books back to, which only leaves the internet... Kind of a pain, really. So I've got the Ultimate Collections 1-4 and the Works 1-3. I think I might just continue with the Ultimate Collections and leave the works as is. So many choices... :lol:

myconius
09-26-2016, 09:32 PM
Ha ha. I actually never decided anything, really. Since our local Hastings have gone out of business, there's no place to sell books back to, which only leaves the internet... Kind of a pain, really. So I've got the Ultimate Collections 1-4 and the Works 1-3. I think I might just continue with the Ultimate Collections and leave the works as is. So many choices... :lol:

that's funny! :lol:

good thinking though! definitely scoop up the Ultimate Vol. 5 when you get the chance.

and Vol. 3 of 'The Works' is a good ending point with the conclusion of Mirage issue #21.

i finally got through reading all the annotations for Vol 4 and 5 back to back.
so many things i'd have never had guessed! plus it was good to see Peter Laird add more input with the annotations than he had with the earlier volumes. :)