PDA

View Full Version : Shooting at a shopping mall in Münich, Germany

Prowler
07-22-2016, 11:43 AM
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/22/europe/germany-munich-shooting/index.html

(CNN)Gunfire rang out at a shopping mall in the German city of Munich on Friday evening, leaving several people dead and others wounded, CNN affiliate NTV reported.

The shooting, which started at about 6 p.m. local time at the Olympia shopping mall, is over, police spokeswoman Claudia Kvenzel said. Kvenzel had no immediate information about casualties or what led to the shooting.

Lynn Stein, who said she works at the Jack Wolfskin store in the mall, told CNN that the shooter was inside the mall.
"I heard several shots," Stein said. "(I) was just going to buy something while my coworker was still in the shop.
Police respond to a shooting outside the Olympia shopping mall in Munich.

"People started running. I went outside as well; more people running outside. I think I heard more shots. Then it sounded like he went to the parking house next to the mall -- several shots there."
Stein said she then went back into the mall.

"I saw ... somebody lying on the floor, presumably dead, I don't know. Or badly hurt. And there's a woman over them, crying."
Eventually, she said, police "told everyone to clear off the area and go to the other side of the street."

"And we just stayed there for a while until police told us to go further back and further back," she said.

I remember the days when these sort of things were not common in Western Europe. What the hell?!

Mew
07-22-2016, 11:46 AM
The world is f*cked up.

Prowler
07-22-2016, 11:51 AM
They don't give out a number or much of an estimate of casualties, but Sky News says that "multiple people" have been killed or injured.

The identity of the shooter has not been revealed yet, I believe.

Netkeeper
07-22-2016, 12:02 PM
Ugh. ****. **** **** ****.

Why does this keep happening?!

Prowler
07-22-2016, 12:03 PM
Ugh. ****. **** **** ****.

Why does this keep happening?!
Because humanity.

This is one of those weeks where we're reminded that the world sucks.

snake
07-22-2016, 12:30 PM
Not the first, not the last sadly.

I feel for the victims. 2016 sucks so far.

Wesley
07-22-2016, 12:32 PM
Shocking. What's the world coming to?

Prowler
07-22-2016, 12:36 PM
They're still looking for the shooter(s). Apparently a witness claimed to have seen 3 shooters. At least that is what I'm reading in other forums by people who have been up to date with the news.

Prowler
07-22-2016, 09:46 PM
So, apparently there was only one gunman after all and he as an 18 year old German-Iranian:

Munich shooting: Gunman acted alone, say police

A shooting at a Munich shopping centre which left nine people dead was carried out by one gunman who then killed himself, German police have said.
The suspect was an 18-year-old German-Iranian dual national who lived in Munich, police told a news conference, but his motive is unclear.
Sixteen people were injured, three critically, police added.
A huge manhunt was launched following reports that up to three gunmen had been involved in the attack.
The body of the suspect was found about 1km (0.6 miles) from the Olympia shopping centre in the north-western suburb of Moosach.

Munich police chief Hubertus Andrae told the news conference early on Saturday that the suspect had not been known to police and there were no known links to terror groups, although investigations were continuing.
The reports of three suspected attackers came when witnesses saw two people leaving the scene in a car "at considerable speed", but they were later confirmed not to be involved, he added.
"The motive or explanation for this crime is completely unclear," he said.
Mr Andrae also said that children were among the casualties, but gave no further details.

Following the attack, the Bavarian capital's transport system was suspended and the central railway station evacuated. Public transport was reopened several hours later when police gave a cautious "all clear".
Thousands of people stranded by the emergency and unable to get home were offered shelter by local residents.
First reports of the shooting came in just before 18:00 (16:00 GMT) on Friday. Witnesses said the attacker opened fire on members of the public in Hanauer Street before moving to the nearby Olympia shopping centre.
Police described it as "an acute terror situation" although officials stressed that the motive was as yet unknown.
Witness Luan Zequiri, who was in the shopping centre, told German broadcaster N-TV that the attacker had been wearing military-style boots and a backpack.
"I looked in his direction and he shot two people on the stairs," he said.
Mr Zequiri said he hid in a shop but when he left he saw bodies of the dead and wounded on the ground.

Chancellor Angela Merkel's chief of staff, Peter Altmaier, told national TV: "We cannot rule out that it is linked to terrorism but we can't confirm it either, but we are also investigating in this direction."
A meeting of the government's security cabinet will be held on Saturday.
Police urged the public to avoid speculation on social media and to desist from using photos or video of their deployments online.
German security forces have been on alert since a teenage migrant stabbed and injured five people on a train in Bavaria on Monday, in an attack claimed by so-called Islamic State.
The authorities had warned of the danger of further incidents.

It seems they can't find any link of this attack to any terrorist organisation. They say the motive of the attack seems unclear. Pretty strange. Maybe it was just a wacky teenager?

FredWolfLeonardo
07-22-2016, 11:15 PM
I believe the root problem in these attacks comes from ideas, values and beliefs.

Netkeeper
07-23-2016, 09:26 AM
I believe the root problem in these attacks comes from ideas, values and beliefs.
Or the fact that weapons of murder continue to be manufactured... presumably to protect people from other weapons of murder. This is where I'd insert a facepalm gif but my upload speed is zero.

Etsyturtle2
07-23-2016, 10:20 AM
Or the fact that weapons of murder continue to be manufactured... presumably to protect people from other weapons of murder. This is where I'd insert a facepalm gif but my upload speed is zero.

You need no upload. It's just copy and paste.

The Deadman
07-23-2016, 10:22 AM

Everytime I see someone blaming the guns instead of the people who pull the trigger I picture those cigarette commercials that peer pressure into smoking them, in this case the guns come to life and bully them into shooting others.

Netkeeper
07-23-2016, 10:26 AM
Everytime I see someone blaming the guns instead of the people who pull the trigger I picture those cigarette commercials that peer pressure into smoking them, in this case the guns come to life and bully them into shooting others.
True, guns by themselves can't do anything, the people are the ones with the power.

But guns were created to be weaponry. To be lethal. The person wielding it does not need to shoot to kill, but people are trained to shoot the largest targets on a person's body and guess what that ain't the kneecap. The person wielding the weapon can also choose an alternative weapon that is less likely or even incapable of killing.

People choose not to do those things, and therefore the guns must be taken away because we cannot have """nice""" things.

Powder
07-23-2016, 02:21 PM
But guns were created to be weaponry. To be lethal.

#notallguns

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41Y2Ql495ZL.jpg

Netkeeper
07-23-2016, 03:18 PM
#notallguns

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41Y2Ql495ZL.jpg
I admit defeat.