PDA

View Full Version : Brian Tyler vs Steve Jablonsky - which composer did you like more?

Shellington
07-25-2016, 12:09 PM
Both composers were just okay, but I thought Jablonsky was a little better IMO.

He composed an instrumental version of the TMNT theme (even though it never appeared in the film).

evan2000
07-25-2016, 01:32 PM
Brian Tyler for me. I've mentioned about this before:

I have listened to this film score and I must say, Brian Tyler did an impressive job for this movie's soundtrack. It's pretty much on par with (if not better than) his other works in the Marvel films, Fast & Furious series and even video games! I remember a few years ago when I started playing the video game Need For Speed: The Run I immediately felt there's something totally different and awesome about it compared to the previous games in the Need For Speed series, it felt so... theatrical, like I was playing a movie instead of a game! Eventually when I looked up that the music was done by Brian Tyler who usually does film scores, I was shocked and impressed at the same time! :o

Since then I have been following up on his works and man, I was so happy to know Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was going to be done by him too! People can bash the other elements of the movie all they want, but the film score truly deserve its own respect. I'm looping this OST in my car's iPod right now and listening to it whenever I'm driving, and I'm not even sure when will I get tired of it (if ever) :thyper:

For those of you who understand the technical part of music, one of the common characteristics of film scores done by Brian Tyler is the usage of A-chord in place of A-minor (assuming the sequence is in C-major), which in layman's term, converts the part of the music that was supposedly "sad/depressive" into something "mystical/magical". Instruments that he frequently used are brass/trumpets (for fanfare-like sequences), slow & low strings (for calmer moments) and high-soaring choir (for climaxes). There's also his signature drum beats that sound like, the drum has to be really tough to endure the drummer's constant beating/slapping! Ouch! :tlol:

The upcoming films that he is scoring are Fast & Furious 7 and Avengers: Age of Ultron, and I can't wait for those! :D

Andrew NDB
07-25-2016, 03:44 PM
Klaus Badelt's orchestral score from TMNT 2007 is actually the only good thing to come out of the TMNT films in a couple decades.

Sabacooza
07-25-2016, 03:56 PM
Klaus Badelt's orchestral score from TMNT 2007 is actually the only good thing to come out of the TMNT films in a couple decades.At least that score had some Japanese influence unlike the Bay movie scores.

TheSkeletonMan939
07-25-2016, 04:27 PM
Klaus Badelt's orchestral score from TMNT 2007 is actually the only good thing to come out of the TMNT films in a couple decades.

Badelt's score is a hidden gem in the world of film scores. It has a very energetic main theme, and careful instrumentation brings the world further to life. I love the guitar for the scene where Raph leaves, for instance.

That can't be said of Tyler's score. It's boring, predictable, loud, and if you popped out the CD to "Iron Man 3" and put "TMNT" in, you couldn't tell the difference. The main themes even sound the same! Almost all his scores sound this way, and I don't understand why. He has strong talent - I've heard it in his "Lego Universe" video game score - and I don't know why he doesn't apply that to his film scoring. Maybe he's just giving the film studios what they want to hear.

I haven't heard Jablonsky's score yet, but I know at least one track is ripped off from Junkie XL's "Brothers in Arms" from the new Mad Max.
I'll listen to his score when all the cues are released, probably in November.

Leolead
07-25-2016, 07:49 PM
Bryan Tyler sucks . Klaus Badelt still has the best TMNT score

RETTEB SNATAS
07-25-2016, 08:18 PM
I agree. I enjoyed Jablonsky's score. I though it complimented the film well. Esp. The opening scene when we hear Leo and Don say " Fellas, its go time, turtle formation in 3 2 1". I HATED Tylers score it was annoying, boring and took me out of a film that was already both of those things on its own

ProactiveMan
07-25-2016, 08:37 PM
They were both OK. It's kind of a shame that Bryan Tyler's scores are so generic these days considering he's the same guy who did Bubba Ho-Tep and Six String Samurai.

Powder
07-25-2016, 09:04 PM
I found both scores generic & ill-fit for TMNT. So it's a tie for me. No vote cast.

DVD
07-28-2016, 01:21 AM
I found myself humming the theme from the first movie, so it stuck more than the second.