PDA

View Full Version : Sega Genesis Classic Edition announced

The Deadman
07-25-2016, 12:34 PM
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/begun-the-clone-wars-have-sega-fires-back-at-classic-mini-nes-with-a-mini-genesis

Shipping in October (at least in the U.K.) and containing a whopping 80 games, the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Classic Game Console looks exactly like a shot fired over Nintendo's bow, a reminder of the classic console wars during which the companies found themselves in a constant state of one-upmanship. Yet SEGA's upcoming creation will more likely serve as a contrast to better underscore the value and merit of Nintendo's retro device.

Based on the descriptive text at U.K. retailer Smyths Toys' website, this "new" device is little more than the latest iteration of the Genesis clone consoles a Chinese manufacturer called At Games has been issuing in different formats for the past few years. Unfortunately, they're anything but a nostalgic home run.

In principle, these SEGA reissues should be much better than Nintendo's upcoming offering, including more built-on games and a functioning cartridge slot to allow players to use their original Genesis games. In practice, they're shoddy: Rather than incorporating original Genesis hardware — despite the cartridge slot — they run on mediocre emulators that don't offer full compatibility with cartridges. Inexplicably, they don't even offer save support for carts that include battery backup (so please enjoy completing Phantasy Star II in a single sitting). They also provide standard-definition video out via composite cables, the worst possible way to view games on modern TVs — assuming, that is, your TV isn't so modern that it no longer supports a composite signal. And the systems' sound quality calls into question the word "quality," with familiar tunes like Sonic's "Green Hill Zone" sounding more like the flatulent final expulsion of a dying robot. Meanwhile, Nintendo's Classic Mini: NES offers high-definition visuals over HDMI and is almost certain to support full game saves. While it doesn't offer any way to play games beyond the 30 announced titles, one questions the value of playing a vast library of badly rendered, ear-shattering, incompletely supported games. Is that really a superior experience to playing a handful of well-curated and nicely presented classics? (Spoilers: No.)

Oh, and it's probably worth mentioning that only half of the 80 included games are legitimate Genesis classics; the other 40 titles are cheap-looking shovelware with enticing names like "Cross the Road," "Snake," "Sudoku Quiz," and "Jack's Pea."

According to the article, half of the games arent well known so...I probably wont get it.

turtlefanforever
07-26-2016, 11:24 AM
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle Alien Storm Altered Beast
Arrow Flash Bonanza Bros. Chakan: The Forever Man
Columns Columns III Comix Zone
Crack Down Decap Attack Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
Mya Master Mind Skeleton Scale ESWAT: City Under Seige
Eternal Champions Fatal Labyrinth Flicky
Gain Ground Golden Axe Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III Jewel Master Kid Chameleon
Phantasy Star 2 Phantasy Star 3 Ristar
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic Spinball T-Rex Memory Match Yawning Triceratops
Sonic Spinball Sonic the Hedgehog Sonic the Hedgehog II
Sonic 3D Blast Sword of Varmilion The Ooze
Vectorman Vectorman II Mortal Kombat I
Mortal Kombat II Mortal Kombat III Adventure in the Park
Cross the road Jack's Pea Jewel Magic
Curling 2010 Plumbing Contest Wall-Breaking
Bubble Master Break a Fireline Mahjong Solitaire
Warehouse Keeper Chess Memory
Snake Air Hockey Spider
Naval Power Mr. Balls Cannon
Fight or Lose Bottle Taps Race Bomber
Checker Hexagonos Whack-A-Wolf
Mirror Mirror Panic Lift Black Sheep
Flash Memory Brain Switch Mega Brain Switch
Hidden Agenda Dominant Amber Hide and Seek
Jura Formula Lost World Sudoku Meatloaf Rotation

Zak The Neutrino
07-26-2016, 11:31 AM
I have the same issue with this one as I do with the Nintendo one. It is missing some key games from that era.

snake
07-26-2016, 12:48 PM
What a sh*tshow

Mew
07-26-2016, 01:18 PM
No thanks.

Allio
07-26-2016, 02:24 PM
I have the same issue with this one as I do with the Nintendo one. It is missing some key games from that era.

I don't know, I think it has all the iconic first party games

Etsyturtle2
07-26-2016, 04:22 PM
They literally already did this for cheaper before. Plus the ability to play original game carts.

This is just a Nintendo hype cash in.

Mew
07-26-2016, 04:47 PM
They literally already did this for cheaper before. Plus the ability to play original game carts.

Your words speak truth.

Zak The Neutrino
07-26-2016, 05:20 PM

Yep and those systems sat until everyone put them on super sale.

The only way I would buy either one of the systems is if they had enough games so that I could sell all my cartridges.

Mew
07-26-2016, 05:29 PM
Yep and those systems sat until everyone put them on super sale.

The only way I would buy either one of the systems is if they had enough games so that I could sell all my cartridges.
I got a Genesis plug n' play for $5 at Walmart. Not bad for cheap.

oldmanwinters
07-26-2016, 05:43 PM
I have one of the older AT Games Genesis plug n' plays, and the sound emulation and wireless controllers have their problems. Not worth $50 or anything like that, but it's about 30 good games for your TV if you don't have any other means to play them. Better options are Steam Genesis Classics Packs, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on Xbox 360, and the original hardware, of course.

I also picked up an AT Games Firecore handheld a while back at a yard sale. Has similar problems as their console version but having a usb-powered handheld with a flash memory card slot is much more convenient.... makes me kinda want to get an official Sega Nomad one day.

I guess it's nice that the newest AT Games console includes tje Mortal Kombat roms as a bonus.

Ecto Jedi
07-26-2016, 09:22 PM
Yeah. An NES with an HDMI port (albeit one with only thirty included games and no cartridge support) sounds rather nice.

This? Not so much. Who doesn't already own an X-Box 360 or PS3? Why not just pick up Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic%27s_Ultimate_Genesis_Collection), which features all the greats (and none of the shovelware) and plays in beautiful HD, for $5 from a bargain bin?

Coola Yagami
07-26-2016, 10:52 PM
Yeah. An NES with an HDMI port (albeit one with only thirty included games and no cartridge support) sounds rather nice.

This? Not so much. Who doesn't already own an X-Box 360 or PS3? Why not just pick up Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic%27s_Ultimate_Genesis_Collection), which features all the greats (and none of the shovelware) and plays in beautiful HD, for $5 from a bargain bin?

That's what I did.

Andrew NDB
07-26-2016, 11:55 PM
"Sega Genesis Classic Edition" like that NES thing before it... AKA "sh*t for nostalgics or hipsters unable or unwilling to just download the free ROMs and get a comparable gamepad for their PC."

i.e., people living in a cave for, I dunno, the last 18 years.

Wildcat
07-27-2016, 12:06 AM
Well these type of Clone consoles have been around for a long time. Including the AT Games Genesis ones. I dont really think they purposely did another one over the NES Classic being announced. Just gave them a reason to release more.

I have a portable one. Doesn't have the game slot but the roms play nicely.

I really wish the NES one came with a slot. That would just be perfect. As well if Sega made an official Genesis with a slot. I would definitely get both.

Ninjinister
07-27-2016, 03:31 AM

It's not a cash in because they release like 6 of these a year. "Journalists" are just playing it up to be Sega's answer to the NES mini. It's not. It's the same damn thing they keep releasing.

Etsyturtle2
07-27-2016, 04:58 AM
Well these type of Clone consoles have been around for a long time. Including the AT Games Genesis ones. I dont really think they purposely did another one over the NES Classic being announced. Just gave them a reason to release more.

I have a portable one. Doesn't have the game slot but the roms play nicely.

I really wish the NES one came with a slot. That would just be perfect. As well if Sega made an official Genesis with a slot. I would definitely get both.

They did release one with a slot about a year ago.

TheCanadiandrome
07-27-2016, 03:26 PM
funny how Nintendo can make there's look like the NES, i don't even know wtf Sega is trying here! at least make it look like the Genesis

Mew
07-27-2016, 04:22 PM
funny how Nintendo can make there's look like the NES, i don't even know wtf Sega is trying here! at least make it look like the Genesis
It looks like the Genesis Model 2.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1a/Sega-Genesis-Mod2-Bare.jpg/800px-Sega-Genesis-Mod2-Bare.jpg

Ninjinister
07-27-2016, 04:54 PM

Please re-read the topic. Sega didn't make these.

Wildcat
07-27-2016, 10:19 PM
They did release one with a slot about a year ago.Who Sega? Ive only ever seen the AT machines and the other clone consoles like RetroGen.

Ninjinister
07-28-2016, 02:12 AM
Who Sega? Ive only ever seen the AT machines and the other clone consoles like RetroGen.

ATGames has released one or two with cartridge slots.

Wildcat
07-28-2016, 03:03 AM
ATGames has released one or two with cartridge slots.Ya. I don't know what the other person was talking about. My previous post was about the AT Games machines.

I said it would be perfect if both Nintendo and Sega made official consoles with slots. As in first-party by them. Not AT or any clone. They must have confused what I meant.

I know there's some other reproduction Genesis that uses actual hardware that was released back in the day but Sega got it banned at the time.

I still have my Sega Genesis it would just be awesome if both companies released, well basically official slim versions with updated video and slots is what I was saying.

Ecto Jedi
07-28-2016, 05:10 AM

Problem is, then it wouldn't come with HDMI compatibility, which is the big selling point -- for me, and for a lot of other people, too. Emulating the games, which this thing does, is one thing.

But upscaling old cartridge games, on to fly, to HD -- that's something else entirely. And if they're not going to be in HD, then why not just buy an old Nintendo?

Mew
07-28-2016, 05:59 AM
Problem is, then it wouldn't come with HDMI compatibility, which is the big selling point -- for me, and for a lot of other people, too. Emulating the games, which this thing does, is one thing.

But upscaling old cartridge games, on to fly, to HD -- that's something else entirely. And if they're not going to be in HD, then why not just buy an old Nintendo?
If you want upscaled games you could get the Retron 5. The controller sucks but otherwise it's fine.

TheCanadiandrome
07-28-2016, 02:58 PM
It looks like the Genesis Model 2.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1a/Sega-Genesis-Mod2-Bare.jpg/800px-Sega-Genesis-Mod2-Bare.jpg

lol how u figure

Please re-read the topic. Sega didn't make these.

oh my mistake

sdp
07-29-2016, 08:54 PM

How does the NES mini upscale the games? What does it actually do? They're just pixels. Genuinely curious.

ProactiveMan
08-01-2016, 12:39 AM
How does the NES mini upscale the games? What does it actually do? They're just pixels. Genuinely curious.

I’m not sure if they have published the technical specs at this point, but I would guess it will uses some kind of algorithmic scaler to blow up the image frame by frame, rather than remastering the games themselves. When you play an NES game on an HD TV, the images is scaled up about 750% and that will potentially look like ass if it’s not done in a controlled way. You can buy external hardware to upscale your NES, or buy a console like the Retron5 which has this type of scaling built in, but they’re not cheap.

Another advantage that the Classic should have over an OG NES is that there should be less noticeable input lag on your flat panel TV.

Spike Spiegel
08-10-2016, 07:32 AM
"Sega Genesis Classic Edition" like that NES thing before it... AKA "sh*t for nostalgics or hipsters unable or unwilling to just download the free ROMs and get a comparable gamepad for their PC."

i.e., people living in a cave for, I dunno, the last 18 years.

And if they desperately need to play on a TV, the Wii has great emulator capabilities as well.