PDA

View Full Version : What do you want for the next Movie Animated or Live action?

turtlefanforever
07-29-2016, 05:32 PM
What do you want for the next TMNT Theatrical release? Animated (TMNT 2007) or Live action?

Powder
07-29-2016, 05:34 PM
Live action, if it means practical effects, suits, etc.

If it's between another CGI fest or something that just outright is CGI, like a Dreamworks sort of thing, or a Nick series film, in that case I'd go with the latter.

So I guess it kinda depends.

IndigoErth
07-29-2016, 06:09 PM
Live action. I'd prefer animated be made for tv.

FredWolfLeonardo
07-29-2016, 06:23 PM
Animated definetly. I think there's alot of potential for an animated tmnt film. We've only had Tmnt 2007 and Turtles Forever in animated while the other 5 films were live action.

turtlefanforever
07-29-2016, 07:02 PM
Animated definetly. I think there's alot of potential for an animated tmnt film. We've only had Tmnt 2007 and Turtles Forever in animated while the other 5 films were live action.

Generally speaking i would lean towards live action, but it's been a good while since we've gotten an animated film, and animation is great because you aren't limited to the constraints of whats actually possible. You can do very dangerous things where there is no chance of anyone getting hurt, and stuff like that. Lots of potential.

ToTheNines
07-29-2016, 07:12 PM
Interpretive dance.

Mew
07-29-2016, 07:17 PM
I'd like a claymation TMNT film.

neatoman
07-30-2016, 03:58 AM
Don't really care but a second attempt at an animated movie might be a good idea, with OotS it was pretty clear Paramount wanted a cartoonish movie anyway.

turtlefanforever
07-30-2016, 09:09 AM
Another reason animated would be a good way to go is it allows them to take a step back and put something good out there. Much easier to succeed with an Animated movie, especially after 2 horrible live action ones. Put an animated movie out there, get a good word of mouth, and now that the reputation is restored then go back to live action.

Powder
07-30-2016, 02:14 PM
Dreamworks styled adaption of Turtles In Time please.

neatoman
07-30-2016, 02:20 PM
Dreamworks styled adaption of Turtles In Time please.

The game, the mini-series or the TV episode?

Powder
07-30-2016, 02:22 PM
:tlol:

The game, of course. Though I guess it would work better as a direct to DVD 2D animated feature. Still, that needs to happen.

ticktack
07-30-2016, 02:44 PM
Good and fair representation of women and POCs. Might also be more and new original characters of theirs. :trazz::twink:

+ Plot which makes sense (2007) and is not messed up, and doesn't represent feud as if the main characters suddenly forgot they are brothers. :-? :( While making them act a bit too out of character.

neatoman
07-30-2016, 02:48 PM
:tlol:

The game, of course. Though I guess it would work better as a direct to DVD 2D animated feature. Still, that needs to happen.

M'kay, I was just wondering because the game has no real story, Krang just steal the Statue of Liberty and Shredder sends the Turtles to different time periods.

Powder
07-30-2016, 03:08 PM
It's got all the story you need, really. The fun is in seeing them get in & out of all those different locations. Just interlace scenes of Shredder wreaking havoc in Manhattan while the turtles deal with his cronies & the elements. It's not like you can't add emotional talky stuff to those parts if you want to.

Mew
07-30-2016, 04:00 PM
ONE WORD:

Claymation.

Powder
07-30-2016, 04:44 PM
I'd like a claymation TMNT film.

ONE WORD:

Claymation.

We get it.

neatoman
07-30-2016, 05:05 PM
ONE WORD:

Claymation.

Why do you want claymation?

Candy Kappa
07-30-2016, 05:18 PM
Live-action for feature length film, but I'd love to see aka Gotham Knight with various animation styles and mediums.

Mew
07-30-2016, 06:02 PM
Why do you want claymation?
Because it's my favorite artistic form.

Chris
08-29-2016, 10:45 AM
Gonna go with animated. After Out of the Shadows I'd like to see the big screen, live action, franchise rest for a bit until the right person comes along to reboot it properly like Nolan did for Batman.

Instead I'd love to see them do a series of really good animated direct to DVD/BR movies. Powder's suggestion of Turtles in Time would be a great place to start. I'd be happy with CG or 2D animation (if we could get Imagi quality I'd definitely say CG but not sure if we could get that quality on a DTV due to costs).

I'd love them to do what DC used to as well - 80 minute main feature and a short. In an ideal world I'd love the shorts to be 20 minute Mirage adaptations in 2D black & white but I think shorts like the recent Nick ones would be more likely and that could be just as fun. Maybe 2-3 of those 5 minute shorts with each film? That could be a lot of fun and really show off different aspects of the franchise and characters.

WebLurker
10-06-2016, 11:36 PM
I'm going to animated, provisionally.

I'd like the current series to have a chance to continue, which means live action.

However, I think that TMNT (and the cartoons) showed that the Turtles work best in animation. They integrate into the world far better and look the most like they belong in the same world as April, Casey, and the rest. The battles and stunts can be exaggerated far more than can be plausibly done in live action. I think that all the animated Turtles in the franchise emote far better than the rubber suit/CGI ones (which, paradoxically, makes them seem more real). Also, I love animation, in some ways more than live action.

So, animation, but I do want the current live action series to continue.

Panda_Kahn_fan
10-08-2016, 12:43 PM
Why not have a movie that is both?

I often thought of a neat way to do a movie version of the krang war. Have the parts on earth be live action and 2-d, and have the parts in dimension X be just CGI animation and 3-d. It would giver dimension X a different 'feel' from earth, and save on the budget with the fantastical creatures and aliens (rock soldiers, triceritons, etc.) The turtles would be the only CGI creations who would be rendered realistic on earth, and Zak, Dask, and Kala would be live actors in makeup in the live action segments, and Fugitoid would be 'Chet' on earth with an actor, then CGI fugitoid in the stylized animated world of dimension X

pferreira
10-13-2016, 09:42 AM
The next film should be live action. We've seen the response to the 2007 movie and it didn't do very well compared to the live action ones.

neatoman
10-13-2016, 12:48 PM
The next film should be live action. We've seen the response to the 2007 movie and it didn't do very well compared to the live action ones.

I seriously doubt the problem simply amounted to it being animated, plenty of animated movies are huge successes. I guess the problem could have been marketing, though I'm not sure about that since I can't remember the marketing. Another problem could be that it just looked really cheap, which of course it was so I kind of doubt it was intended to make a lot of money in the first place.

... Actually, let's see how well it did proportionally to OotS:
TMNT, Budget $34 million, International gross $95 Million.
OotS, Budget $135 million, International gross $245 Million

This means TMNT earned 2.81 times it's budget and OotS earned 1.81 times it's budget. So since TMNT went above the 2.50 line and OotS didn't, that means TMNT probably broke even while OotS undeniably tanked. Numbers are fun, aren't they?

Andrew NDB
10-13-2016, 01:08 PM
I seriously doubt the problem simply amounted to it being animated, plenty of animated movies are huge successes. I guess the problem could have been marketing, though I'm not sure about that since I can't remember the marketing. Another problem could be that it just looked really cheap, which of course it was so I kind of doubt it was intended to make a lot of money in the first place.

... Actually, let's see how well it did proportionally to OotS:
TMNT, Budget $34 million, International gross $95 Million.
OotS, Budget $135 million, International gross $245 Million

This means TMNT earned 2.81 times it's budget and OotS earned 1.81 times it's budget. So since TMNT went above the 2.50 line and OotS didn't, that means TMNT probably broke even while OotS undeniably tanked. Numbers are fun, aren't they?

And I'm pretty sure TMNT 2007's marketing budget was maybe 5-10% of what OotS's was.

neatoman
10-13-2016, 01:10 PM
And I'm pretty sure TMNT 2007's marketing budget was maybe 5-10% of what OotS's was.

Oh, so it most definitely was a proptionally bigger hit than OotS then.

Andrew NDB
10-13-2016, 01:13 PM
Oh, so it most definitely was a proptionally bigger hit than OotS then.

I definitely wouldn't call TMNT 2007 a "hit" but it landed a little bit north of breaking even, while OotS is deep in the toilet on losses.

neatoman
10-13-2016, 01:17 PM
I definitely wouldn't call TMNT 2007 a "hit" but it landed a little bit north of breaking even, while OotS is deep in the toilet on losses.

"Hit" was probably the wrong word, maybe I should have said that it "at least it didn't lose money"?

Andrew NDB
10-13-2016, 01:22 PM
"Hit" was probably the wrong word, maybe I should have said that it "at least it didn't lose money"?

Right.

Here is TMNT 2007:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hh_R7stF9nk/U5f7ThVQRCI/AAAAAAAAIuM/uIHAS8pBcig/s1600/so-so-smiley.png

Here is OotS:
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/banana1015.com/files/2012/12/ghoulies1.jpg

pferreira
10-20-2016, 10:14 AM
This means TMNT earned 2.81 times it's budget and OotS earned 1.81 times it's budget. So since TMNT went above the 2.50 line and OotS didn't, that means TMNT probably broke even while OotS undeniably tanked. Numbers are fun, aren't they?Numbers are fun but Out of the Shadows by the figures you're giving would still make it a profitable movie plus an animated film of course is going to cost less than a live action blockbuster so no it didn't tank. ;)

neatoman
10-20-2016, 01:49 PM
Numbers are fun but Out of the Shadows by the figures you're giving would still make it a profitable movie plus an animated film of course is going to cost less than a live action blockbuster so no it didn't tank. ;)

It needed to make 2.5 times the budget in order to break even, but it only made 1.8 times the budget, it was not considered profitable by the studio that made it. Let's for a moment pretend the marketing budget does not factor in, they might technically have made money but they spent 135 million dollars to make 110 million dollars. That may sound like a lot to you or me but they still spent a fortune for a smaller fortune, it's not really worth it in their eyes. Not to mention that we didn't factor in the marketing budget (hence that extra 0.5 in 2.5), so the total gain was probably closer to 45 million than 110 million.

Basically, if you give some guy a dollar and you get back a dollar and fifty cent, would you be happy if he originally told you you'd get at least three dollars back and probably more? Yeah, you technically still earned money but it's so little you could easily have made a better investment.

Andrew NDB
10-20-2016, 01:56 PM
It needed to make 2.5 times the budget in order to break even, but it only made 1.8 times the budget, it was not considered profitable by the studio that made it. Let's for a moment pretend the marketing budget does not factor in, they might technically have made money but they spent 135 million dollars to make 110 million dollars. That may sound like a lot to you or me but they still spent a fortune for a smaller fortune, it's not really worth it in their eyes. Not to mention that we didn't factor in the marketing budget (hence that extra 0.5 in 2.5), so the total gain was probably closer to 45 million than 110 million.

There was no gain with OotS. The "gain" was something like -60 million the last time I ran the numbers.

Vicky82
10-25-2016, 03:52 PM
I not bothered on what we get next as long it's got a really good story and darker tone.

Myko
10-26-2016, 05:45 AM
I feel like we need another good live action movie, haven't had one since 1990.

pferreira
10-27-2016, 09:48 AM
I feel like we need another good live action movie, haven't had one since 1990.Not for a lack of trying it must be said.

neatoman
10-27-2016, 12:39 PM
Not for a lack of trying it must be said.

Are you seriously saying the Platinum Dunes crew were "trying"?

WebLurker
10-27-2016, 02:39 PM
Are you seriously saying the Platinum Dunes crew were "trying"?

I think it's fair to say they were. The first movie did have a troubled production and I think the final product suffered because of that.

pferreira
11-03-2016, 01:06 PM
Are you seriously saying the Platinum Dunes crew were "trying"?Yes they were, even Kevin Eastman was in control of the conception of the 2014 movie. They were trying. :)

Andrew NDB
11-03-2016, 01:08 PM
Yes they were, even Kevin Eastman was in control of the conception of the 2014 movie.

lol, you're joking, right?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-03-2016, 01:08 PM
Yes they were, even Kevin Eastman was in control of the conception of the 2014 movie. They were trying. :)

Trying to make money, yes.

And Kevin was never in control, that's laughable. Don't make Andrew call you a plant.

Andrew NDB
11-03-2016, 01:11 PM
Kevin Eastman was brought on at the 11th hour. His role? Being Kevin Eastman, nodding at the dailies, giving everything the thumbs up and going back to tell the fans it's the best thing ever, complete with amazing "The Raid"-style martial arts fighting.

I think he had a bit larger role (and by "larger" I mean bigger than a glorified spokesperson) in previous incarnations of the 2014 movie, particularly surrounding the Fusco draft's version. I remember him mentioning that when Platinum Dunes became involved, suddenly no one was talking to him anymore. Clearly that changed at some point.

Powder
11-03-2016, 02:07 PM
Yes they were, even Kevin Eastman was in control of the conception of the 2014 movie. They were trying. :)

:tlol: This guy...

He was brought on to make casual fans who knew no better think that there was a chance it would be decent. Das it.

neatoman
11-03-2016, 03:13 PM

:tlol: This guy...

He was brought on to make casual fans who knew no better think that there was a chance it would be decent. Das it.

Trying to make money, yes.

And Kevin was never in control, that's laughable. Don't make Andrew call you a plant.

lol, you're joking, right?

pferreira almost seems to live in his own little world to be honest. Am I alone in this, does anyone else get that vibe from him? For example, he will always defend David Wise as a good and memorable writer, no matter how many times one brings up the problems with Wise's writing.

Leonardo_thebest
11-03-2016, 03:45 PM
I personally don't want another movie right now. I think it would be better if they just put more money into giving us better video games.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-03-2016, 03:50 PM
pferreira almost seems to live in his own little world to be honest. Am I alone in this, does anyone else get that vibe from him? For example, he will always defend David Wise as a good and memorable writer, no matter how many times one brings up the problems with Wise's writing.

You are not alone, my friend. :tlol:

d_osborn
11-03-2016, 06:37 PM
Kevin Eastman was brought on at the 11th hour. His role? Being Kevin Eastman, nodding at the dailies, giving everything the thumbs up and going back to tell the fans it's the best thing ever, complete with amazing "The Raid"-style martial arts fighting.

I think he had a bit larger role (and by "larger" I mean bigger than a glorified spokesperson) in previous incarnations of the 2014 movie, particularly surrounding the Fusco draft's version. I remember him mentioning that when Platinum Dunes became involved, suddenly no one was talking to him anymore. Clearly that changed at some point.
Eastman was still working with PD pretty early on in the process. There's some early Shredder concepts from Eastman that are dated 2011, I think. Fusco was, what-- 2009? Definitely not an 11th hour addition, but he didn't exactly have any veto power over the decisions.

Personally, I think it's great how Eastman seems to have fun with whatever he's doing. Keep doing you, man.

...and for the record, I'm all for another live action attempt. I'm not a huge fan of modern animation, however... something weird/experimental/juvenile a'la the Reitman's HEAVY METAL movie would be fun for a nutzoid Mirage animated adaptation.

Andrew NDB
11-03-2016, 06:42 PM
Definitely not an 11th hour addition, but he didn't exactly have any veto power over the decisions.

Certainly no veto power. But yes, he was a last minute addition when Dunes took over. Or to put it better... he was aboard all the way up until Dunes took over, then completely in the dark for about a year, then aboard that iteration. I know because I was literally talking to him on the phone about this when it was going on.

d_osborn
11-03-2016, 06:57 PM
Certainly no veto power. But yes, he was a last minute addition when Dunes took over. Or to put it better... he was aboard all the way up until Dunes took over, then completely in the dark for about a year, then aboard that iteration. I know because I was literally talking to him on the phone about this when it was going on.
I guess you and I have varying opinions on "11th hour". To expect him to be brought in the second a new production company takes over isn't really feasible. PD started development in 2010. Eastman's conceptual art floating around is dated (I'm pretty sure) 2011. The film came out in 2014. Not 11th hour to me at all, but your mileage may vary.

Perhaps his involvement was solely for marketing purposes, which is why he wasn't involved in early development in the project. I wouldn't be shocked.

Powder
11-03-2016, 06:58 PM

No, you're right. He's absolutely incapable of admitting that FW has flaws, & like most FW fanboys, champions it as being this almighty thing that everyone has committed to heart & memory, when in reality it's the characters that resonated, not the material itself. It's these kinds of fans with little insight towards other iterations that take things like this on blind faith.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-03-2016, 07:15 PM
No, you're right. He's absolutely incapable of admitting that FW has flaws, & like most FW fanboys, champions it as being this almighty thing that everyone has committed to heart & memory, when in reality it's the characters that resonated, not the material itself. It's these kinds of fans with little insight towards other iterations that take things like this on blind faith.

I've never thought of it in those words before; I really liked that. Kudos! :tgrin:

sgtfbomb
11-08-2016, 11:16 AM
Live Action. I have no preference over either practical effects or CG. I believe both can be used fairly effectively as long as the designs themselves work.

What I want is a decent actress to be cast as April. By that I mean, someone who fits the part. Someone who make April a strong female character (not ditzy nor there simply for sex appeal). Someone with a little spunk and personality.

That, for me, is where Platinum Dunes failed the most in terms of bringing these characters to life.

DestronMirage22
11-08-2016, 12:38 PM
What I want is a decent actress to be cast as April. By that I mean, someone who fits the part. Someone who make April a strong female character (not ditzy nor there simply for sex appeal). Someone with a little spunk and personality.

Exactly. And that's why I loved Judith Hoag's portrayal of April. She did a fantastic job at acting out the part, all the while still looking good! :embarass:

pferreira
11-10-2016, 09:45 AM
lol, you're joking, right?Whether you like it or not he was involved. I know that's shocking but you need to get over it.

pferreira almost seems to live in his own little world to be honest. Am I alone in this, does anyone else get that vibe from him? For example, he will always defend David Wise as a good and memorable writer, no matter how many times one brings up the problems with Wise's writing.Compared to any other writer? Yes, every script has issues if you look hard enough, IF you look. :roll:

You are not alone, my friend. :tlol:It's okay, I feel that way about you guys as well. ;)

PixieAnna1
12-27-2016, 12:05 AM
Animated
Mainly because we don't get hardly any theatrical action animated movies.
The 2007 movie had some awesome fight scenes, and was very gritty. And (in the US at least) I think it seems to stand out from the bright colored comedy CGI movies we always get.

CyberCubed
12-29-2016, 01:51 AM
Next theatrical movie definitely needs to be live-action. No question about it. Anything animated is assumed to be aimed at kids.

xChri5x
12-29-2016, 11:29 AM
I want a live action Turtles movie set in the 80s with no over the top Sci-fi elements.