PDA

View Full Version : How many friends would you say you have?

Prowler
07-29-2016, 05:39 PM
I don't use the term "friend" liberally, so I guess the people who apply are about 2-3. Maybe 4 at best? Dunno really.

I also have several online contacts, some I'm on very good terms with, but they live in different countries so we've never met irl. You don't really know someone if you never meet them in person.

It seems some people claim to have dozens of friends. As in over 20-30 friends which I find kinda weird. No way they're all close friends or ones they actually need. Seems like a very liberal use of the term "friend".

So, what about you. How many friends would you say you have?

ToTheNines
07-29-2016, 05:49 PM
I'm pretty tight with everyone I work with, if only because we travel and spend weeks on end with each other in strange places.

I've sadly grown apart from my high school/college friends. Work, homeownership, girlfriend, all that boring grownup stuff.

Prowler
07-29-2016, 05:57 PM
I'm pretty tight with everyone I work with, if only because we travel and spend weeks on end with each other in strange places.

I've sadly grown apart from my high school/college friends. Work, homeownership, girlfriend, all that boring grownup stuff.
I had about 2, maybe 3 people in my 9th grade-HS days that I considered to be my "friends" but when we're kids we don't really know what friendship is. Also, some people I used to talk to often... haven't talked to since we've graduated. Like, at all. As for the 2-3 I talked to the most and had at one point considered to be friends, life just happened and all that's left are our memories.

The only friends I keep from today are people I've met at the university. And I doubt I'll see most of them once we graduate. A few who've graduated already I pretty much already lost my contact with them, and they all seem to have gfs and are living together, so there really isn't an opening for me to get in touch with them someday.

Never befriended a co-worker or hung out with one outside of work. I like to keep work relationships strictly professional.

IndigoErth
07-29-2016, 06:25 PM
Plenty of acquaintances, but these days mainly just one good friend. Even though she and I don't see each other all that often since we're busy and schedules don't coordinate well, and we may go for a time having not spoken for a while, but it's one of those ones where when you do catch up it's still like you had last spoken just the day before.

Known her for almost 27 years, since age 10, so I don't think this one is going anywhere. I don't look forward to being old, but it might be fun being old lady friends someday. lol Just a couple old prunes who've know each other forever, missing only the first 10 years of life. :tlol:

Prowler
07-29-2016, 06:38 PM
Plenty of acquaintances, but these days mainly just one good friend. Even though she and I don't see each other all that often since we're busy and schedules don't coordinate well, and we may go for a time having not spoken for a while, but it's one of those ones where when you do catch up it's still like you had last spoken just the day before.

Known her for almost 27 years, since age 10, so I don't think this one is going anywhere. I don't look forward to being old, but it might be fun being old lady friends someday. lol Just a couple old prunes who've know each other forever, missing only the first 10 years of life. :tlol:
Keeping a childhood friend seems like a hard thing to do and impossible unless many factors happen, like I dunno, both of you never moving away from the same city/area. Youre lucky.

I have no idea what anyone I've met as a kid back in the 90s is up to nowadays, nor do I care tbh.

Mew
07-29-2016, 07:20 PM
I don't have any friends, unless my cat counts.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-29-2016, 08:03 PM
About two handfuls' worth, I'd say.

Etsyturtle2
07-29-2016, 08:48 PM
---------

snake
07-29-2016, 09:08 PM
A couple online, and 1 guy irl that's my closest friend. I have sh*tloads of people that I'm "friends" with but it's not close or anything.

Utrommaniac
07-29-2016, 11:56 PM
I would say four close at this point, one of whom is very new.

One of them is someone I've known since elementary school, but he's the only guy among my friends. And the only one I can see in person cheaply.

The other three are people I've met online and need to get on a plane to see. One of whom lives in Minnesota. We've been together twice. I became friends with Ceres sometime last year, but she lives in Germany, so that would be quite a while before we can think about a meet-up. And then we have a mutual friend in Gadget, who lives in the UK.

So all my gal pals are basically inaccessible except for online. I Skype frequently with my Minnesota friend, when we get the chance.

Then there's the "family" friends that have been in my life forever. One family that I've known literally since I was born. They were our "backyard neighbors", and their second child was born seven hours before I was. So when they came home from the hospital, my parents had just woken up from me being born at home early in the morning. There was a mutual "we had a baby!" gathering over the fence, and our parents started doing so much together that a gate was installed between our fences so we could get to each other easily. That lasted until my youngest brother was in Kindergarten and they had to move to another city. We still meet up now and then, but all us kids have grown up and moved on. I see their daughter (who is a few years older than me) more often than anything, and I last saw her around Christmas.

MsMarvelDuckie
07-30-2016, 02:34 PM
I guess it depends on how one defines friendship. I have a few people I consider friends, as they have been there for us through good and bad times. I also have one or two people I met online that I consider friends.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-30-2016, 02:42 PM
I've got my best friend and his wife (my wife's friend who we set up together); four siblings and one sister's husband; and my wife.

I'm also pretty close to a couple of my bosses, but they're coworkers first.

Prowler
07-30-2016, 02:45 PM
It seems you guys consider some of your online contacts to be your friends. I mean, I'm I guess a bit "close" with some of my online contacts, but I cannot really consider a person I've never met irl a "friend".

To make this thread more interesting, what kind of people tend to become your friends? Mine have always been people into metal and video games. Anime sometimes, as well. Can't think of a single friend I've had that didn't like any of the things I've just mentioned. Also, I think only one of the people I call friends is a girl.

So, what's your circle of friends like?

Powder
07-30-2016, 03:03 PM
For the most part I have better friends online than I do in real life, whether or not I've "met" them. If we skype, talk on the phone, game together, draw together, discuss our personal lives, have trust, love, respect, physical boundaries mean nothing.

Moving messed my whole thing up. Back in NY there are/were so many people I kicked it with. Then I moved south & found that I don't get along with folks here. I've only got 2 genuine friends "locally" & they're an hour & 2 hours away respectively, so we don't get together much. We met through the music scene & mostly link up to record albums or do shows.

I have far more acquaintances than I do true friends, that's for sure. Most people are way too narcissistic, brain-dead, or sketchy. It's hard to find like-minded individuals who aren't self absorbed liars. I have a handful of good hearts in my circle, but not as many as I'd like. I'm real motherf**ker, I always say what I feel, & that doesn't win me many favors. If you can't match pace, I'm not really gonna invest my time in you.

Prowler
07-30-2016, 03:07 PM
For the most part I have better friends online than I do in real life, whether or not I've "met" them. If we skype, talk on the phone, game together, draw together, discuss our personal lives, have trust, love, respect, physical boundaries mean nothing.

I have far more acquaintances than I do true friends, that's for sure. Most people are way too narcissistic, brain-dead, or sketchy. It's hard to find like-minded individuals who aren't self absorbed liars. I have a handful of good hearts in my circle, but not as many as I'd like. I'm real motherf**ker, I always say what I feel, & that doesn't win me many favors. If you can't match pace, I'm not really gonna invest my time in you.
Tbh, I think I've done that more with people I only know online than with ones I know irl. Well, except drawing together, since I'm not into drawing lol. It's just easier to be more open online, I guess.

Eh I don't really like people in general, I guess. And most people just don't grab my interest. Most of the time, when I meet someone, I find them either uninteresting or too different from me for us to ever become friends.

Powder
07-30-2016, 03:15 PM
Eh I don't really like people in general, I guess. And most people just don't grab my interest. Most of the time, when I meet someone, I find them either uninteresting or too different from me for us to ever become friends.

Yep, same. Always got my fingers crossed for a stampede of meteors. :tlol: I dunno. I've always liked doing my own thing anyway.

Spike Spiegel
07-30-2016, 03:32 PM
I'm not much of a people person, either.

Better to be alone and content rather than surrounded by people and totally miserable.

MsMarvelDuckie
07-30-2016, 03:47 PM
The people I consider friends online are people I've known for years and shared pics and personal stories with even if we have never met in person. One in particular I've been friends with for more than a decade now. I've seen her daughter grow up through news we shared, I've co-written stories with her and encouraged her as her writing career took off, and we've joked and sympathized with each other in good times or bad. She's as close a friend as any "irl" friend even though we live hundreds of miles apart.

CyberCubed
07-30-2016, 03:47 PM
I'm pretty tight with everyone I work with, if only because we travel and spend weeks on end with each other in strange places..

How often are you on the road traveling the countryside climbing those towers? Make sure not to get *too* buddy-buddy with your co-workers, you know it gets awfully lonely out there on the road.

In all seriousness how often do you get to go home with your gf and dog? Are you really away for weeks at a time? Sounds crazy, I could never do a job like that.

Mew
07-30-2016, 03:58 PM
I feel better around my cat.

ToTheNines
07-30-2016, 06:24 PM
How often are you on the road traveling the countryside climbing those towers? Make sure not to get *too* buddy-buddy with your co-workers, you know it gets awfully lonely out there on the road.

In all seriousness how often do you get to go home with your gf and dog? Are you really away for weeks at a time? Sounds crazy, I could never do a job like that.

Sometimes I'm gone just one night, sometimes I'm gone for over a month. Then other times I'm local for like 3 months. Always changes, often at last minute.

Wesley
07-31-2016, 11:42 AM
It seems you guys consider some of your online contacts to be your friends. I mean, I'm I guess a bit "close" with some of my online contacts, but I cannot really consider a person I've never met irl a "friend".

To make this thread more interesting, what kind of people tend to become your friends? Mine have always been people into metal and video games. Anime sometimes, as well. Can't think of a single friend I've had that didn't like any of the things I've just mentioned. Also, I think only one of the people I call friends is a girl.

So, what's your circle of friends like?

I don't consider my online contacts to be friends either if I've never met them or talked to them much in real life, though I have some stuff in common with them. I usually make friends through shared experiences and common interests.

Anyone really can become my friend if I like his/her personality and we have a few common interests such as tv shows and music.

TurtleWA
08-01-2016, 11:33 PM
Okay part of my life story in a nutshell. Had some close friends growing up but lost touch after school ended as people do sometimes. Into my mid/late twenties I broke off contact with the group of friends I had when they started shooting H.

I currently have good acquaintances now that I am friendly with but like the quote from 'Stand By Me' says "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"

Now in my early thirties just doing the family thing and that takes up a lot of time and energy. But life goes in waves and who knows what friend may be found in the future.

Oh also my Cat Lily.

Jephael
08-02-2016, 01:14 AM
Friends sorta come and go in my life and while I'm not really super close with anybody, Facebook, Gmail and other forms of communication, I manage to stay in touch with the people I consider good friends.

TurtleWA
08-02-2016, 11:01 PM
In honor of this thread I'm going to befriend all who have posted so far, accept my invite if you would like, if not no hurt feelings
:tcool: