PDA

View Full Version : How tall are you?

Prowler
07-31-2016, 08:47 AM
Inspired by that thread where CyberCubed mentioned his short height, I wondered how tall my fellow dromers are.

Last time Iv'e checked, I am 183cm tall. Which according to online converters is barely 6 feet. Not a bad height at all, but my doctor told me when I was a kid that I could possibly be as tall as my older brother who is 189cm/6'2 tall, so that disappointed me a bit :lol:. But 6'1-6'2 are the tallest I'd like to be. Bigger than that would just be unpractical, imo. So yeah, I guess I'm OK with my height.

What about you? How tall are you and are you happy with your height? I'm looking forward to see if there's any giants here. I know Powder is quite tall :tgrin:

ToTheNines
07-31-2016, 09:04 AM
I'm 6'2", which is normally advantageous, but sometimes impractical. I don't think there is a perfect height anyways, though.

Prowler
07-31-2016, 09:29 AM
I'm 6'2", which is normally advantageous, but sometimes impractical. I don't think there is a perfect height anyways, though.
Well, it depends. I guess it only really matters if you wanna be a pro sports player. I mean, I'm prolly a midget by basketball standards. And would also not make a great goal keeper or centre back in soccer.

ToTheNines
07-31-2016, 09:43 AM
I wouldn't say midget. A lot of NBA point and shooting guards are in the ballpark of 6'2".

Etsyturtle2
07-31-2016, 09:55 AM
5 feet four inches

CyberCubed
07-31-2016, 12:46 PM
6 feet tall people are giants. I would never want to be that tall. Unless you play sports there's no incentive.

Prowler
07-31-2016, 12:52 PM
6 feet tall people are giants. I would never want to be that tall. Unless you play sports there's no incentive.
Dude, I'm barely 6 feet tall. Lol @ thinking I'm a giant :lol:. Just like a 5'10 isn't a midget just cause he is 5 feet tall.

Apparently the area in the world where the average male height is the highest is in a balkanic region called the Dinaric Alps, where the average male stands 185cm(6'1) tall. That's prolly where all the Balkanic basketball and volleyball players come from.

The Netherlands also has a very high average, in the 181-183cm vein. The rest of Europe seems to be in the 170cm-179cm average area.

Average Portuguese male in the 173cm( 5'8 ) area...

I guess I'm not doing that badly!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-31-2016, 02:22 PM

Ladies don't go for short men, dude. Your love life will suffer.

Also, it's hard to reach things on the top shelf at stores when you're a hobbit. Why do you think Bilbo and the dwarves put up with Gandalf?

I'm in the >6' club myself...

Electric
07-31-2016, 02:29 PM
I myself am 6'2"

Prowler
07-31-2016, 02:31 PM

Also, it's hard to reach things on the top shelf at stores when you're a hobbit. Why do you think Bilbo and the dwarves put up with Gandalf?

I'm in the >6' club myself...
I get asked to reach things on the top shelf by old women at the supermarket occasionally. It's not that the top shelves are that high, it's just that many older women are very short.

I'm already a bit scrawny, so being short would be even worse. At least if you're a bit tall, you can stand out somewhat.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-31-2016, 02:39 PM
I get asked to reach things on the top shelf by old women at the supermarket occasionally. It's not that the top shelves are that high, it's just that many older women are very short.

I'm already a bit scrawny, so being short would be even worse. At least if you're a bit tall, you can stand out somewhat.

Yeah, I usually get stopped every time I'm at a store. "Excuse me, young man, but could you reach that for me?"

CyberCubed
07-31-2016, 02:40 PM
How do you sit down in a car or a seat at 6 feet tall? I can't imagine sitting on an airplane, movie theater, etc. with long legs.

Prowler
07-31-2016, 02:44 PM
How do you sit down in a car or a seat at 6 feet tall? I can't imagine sitting on an airplane, movie theater, etc. with long legs.
My brother struggles with this at times, since he is 6'2. He needs space for his long legs. As for shoes, well:

http://www.typicaldutchstuff.com/shoesize.jpg

He wears size 47-48 which according to this chart is size 14 in the USA. He has trouble finding shoes that fit.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-31-2016, 02:46 PM

Some cars are sized for us; so we buy those. Otherwise, we scrunch up and mutter expletives under our breath.

Movie theaters, I go when the theater isn't crowded so I can drape my feet over the next row of seats in front of me. Works like a charm. :twink:

Airplanes are a frakking nightmare. I've literally always been stuck between two overweight women. Every single time. It's like a bad comedy sketch.

Except for the time I had drunk fratboys behind me... that was just as bad.

Prowler
07-31-2016, 02:48 PM
i remember many years ago on a plane ride my brother happening to have gotten a seat... that had no seat in front of him. An empty space. He was overjoyed since that meant he could just have his legs stretched during the entire flight.

Mew
07-31-2016, 02:57 PM
I'm 5 feet and 6 inches.

Etsyturtle2
07-31-2016, 03:05 PM
Well, just had a growth spurt, and I'm now five feet seven inches.

Prowler
07-31-2016, 03:07 PM
I was 174cm/5'8 at age of 14.

Etsyturtle2
07-31-2016, 03:26 PM
Now I'm 5'9

Mew
07-31-2016, 04:19 PM
Now I'm 5'9
Quit lying to yourself Etsy, get out of your highchair then see how tall you are!

Etsyturtle2
07-31-2016, 04:20 PM
Quit lying to yourself Etsy, get out of your highchair then see how tall you are!

I wouldn't talk until I got off mommies wii u.

Mew
07-31-2016, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't talk until I got off mommies wii u.
I actually bought this Wii U myself.

Etsyturtle2
07-31-2016, 04:25 PM
i actually bought this wii u myself.

L

o

L

Dude.

Where'd u get the munny

Stephen
07-31-2016, 04:31 PM
Around 5' 10

Candy Kappa
07-31-2016, 05:06 PM
Around 180 (5' 9")

Netkeeper
07-31-2016, 05:26 PM
Girls tell me how cute I am all the time. I think they're perfectly fine with short guys, though playing up some cuteness doesn't hurt.

Anyway I've mentioned my height several times before so it shouldn't be a surprise, but I'm 4'11". Sometimes it gets measured as 5' even, but that's when I'm wearing shoes. :V

IndigoErth
07-31-2016, 06:07 PM
5' 4", average around here.

Average shoe size. That way the universe could ensure that my size will frequently be out of stock.

doctor told me when I was a kid that I could possibly be as tall as my older brother who is 189cm/6'2 tall, so that disappointed me a bit :lol:
My sister had hoped to be either shorter than our mother or taller than me. She, for what ever reason, didn't want to be between.

She ended up between. :tlol:

Powder
07-31-2016, 08:57 PM
Between 6'2 & 3.

Prowler
07-31-2016, 09:07 PM
Do you guys ever get your height mis-measured? In my country each person has its own government issued ID. They measure your height... but many people I've talked to claim not to have their accurate height on it. They tend to take off a couple of centimetres(an inch or so) because "well you're wearing shoes". Which doesn't seem like a very rigorous manner of measuring someone's height. My brother is 189/6'2 and a couple of people have told him before "no way, you're a bit taller than that", so I wonder if the info on my citizen card regarding my height is accurate and I might not be 1cm or 2 taller... nah maybe it's just wishful thinking of me :lol:

ssjup81
07-31-2016, 09:09 PM
I'm about 5'10. i kinda hate it, though and wish I was shorter (and slimmer), but that's because I'm a woman and like guys taller than me. Some guys are my height, some taller. But yeah, wish I was shorter and smaller. Maybe a bout 5'7 at the tallest. Out of my female cousins, I'm the tallest and the biggest. -_-

Prowler
07-31-2016, 09:14 PM
I'm about 5'10. i kinda hate it, though and wish I was shorter (and slimmer), but that's because I'm a woman and like guys taller than me. Some guys are my height, some taller. But yeah, wish I was shorter and smaller. Maybe a bout 5'7 at the tallest. Out of my female cousins, I'm the tallest and the biggest. -_-
You live in Japan... how often do you see tall guys there? I figure most are around your height or lower.

FredWolfLeonardo
08-01-2016, 12:17 AM
I am estimated 6 foot but I don't measure at all and I get people telling me how much taller i am then them. So based on that, I'd say around 6'2 or 6'3 rather than just 6.

DarkFell
08-01-2016, 12:41 AM
5 '4. I'm taller than my step-mother and up to my father's shoulder.

Meanwhile I see kids / teens out here that are taller than me.

I got a chuckle out of the prepubescent manlets tag for this page.

ProactiveMan
08-01-2016, 02:08 AM
I'm 6'4" in the old currency.

CyberCubed
08-01-2016, 08:42 PM
Thank god I'm not 6 feet. I seriously can't imagine constantly bending down to enter a door frame in a house or being cramped while driving a car, or sitting in an airplane/movie theater, etc.

There is nothing good about long legs unless you're an athlete or something. What do you guys get out of it? You guys have to constantly bend and crouch just to move around. How the hell do you do that? Get back cramps?

Allio
08-01-2016, 09:15 PM
somewhere between Thumbalina and Godzilla

TurtleWA
08-01-2016, 11:41 PM
I would say 182.6 cm

snake
08-02-2016, 12:20 AM
There is nothing good about long legs unless you're an athlete or something.

What about on a woman?

ProactiveMan
08-02-2016, 01:38 AM
Thank god I'm not 6 feet. I seriously can't imagine constantly bending down to enter a door frame in a house or being cramped while driving a car, or sitting in an airplane/movie theater, etc.

There is nothing good about long legs unless you're an athlete or something. What do you guys get out of it? You guys have to constantly bend and crouch just to move around. How the hell do you do that? Get back cramps?

I’ve spent a few miserable hours in a mineshaft, a submarine, and a replica of the HMS Endeavour where I had to stoop around like a gorilla, but doors are at least 6’8” here so it isn’t a problem.

What about on a woman?
I met a woman who was at least 6'5" one time – she was pretty cool.

Jephael
08-02-2016, 01:40 AM
I'm 5 feet, 3 inches... which is nice because I consider myself around the same height as the TMNT of the original cartoon.

joefsas
08-02-2016, 05:29 AM
Around 6ft 3" If I remember correctly. I'm big built too. I've been told that If I were to work out, I'd be a house :lol:
My son Harry's a big lad as well. Already towering over the kids at nursery (he's only 3) And was 10lb9oz when he was born! Poor mum :P

ssjup81
08-02-2016, 05:57 AM
You live in Japan... how often do you see tall guys there? I figure most are around your height or lower.That's the thing, they are quite a few guys my height that I've come across. Some are taller than me too. Some of my male students are taller than me or as tall as me. They're around 12/13. So yeah, I do come across taller guys.

Now, as for women, they're generally short, but even they're taller and bigger that what they were a generation ago. For instance, I visited the Hiroshima Museum. They had belongings to some of the victims of the bombings, which included clothing of children. They also would say how old they were. They had clothes from kids that were said to have been in middle school. Before reading the description, I would've thought it belonged to an elementary school kid.

More meat and dairy in the diet here over the years so that's why they're getting taller and bigger.

As for clothes and stuff, I can shop for shirts and skirts, but pants are out for me because I'm just too big and too tall. I needed a pair of jeans. I went to the women's shop that caters to bigger women here. It was my size, for the most part, but I couldn't pull them all the way up because my legs were too long. If I want to buy jeans here, they have to be men's jeans and they're not as nice or as appealing (to my eye) like the women's jeans.

Stephen
08-02-2016, 07:53 AM

Probably only if they have issues with shortness in other places.

Sage Ninja
08-02-2016, 11:28 AM
5 feet 5 inches. I guess I am normal for a girl.

Prowler
08-02-2016, 02:50 PM
That's the thing, they are quite a few guys my height that I've come across. Some are taller than me too. Some of my male students are taller than me or as tall as me. They're around 12/13. So yeah, I do come across taller guys.

Now, as for women, they're generally short, but even they're taller and bigger that what they were a generation ago. For instance, I visited the Hiroshima Museum. They had belongings to some of the victims of the bombings, which included clothing of children. They also would say how old they were. They had clothes from kids that were said to have been in middle school. Before reading the description, I would've thought it belonged to an elementary school kid.

More meat and dairy in the diet here over the years so that's why they're getting taller and bigger.

As for clothes and stuff, I can shop for shirts and skirts, but pants are out for me because I'm just too big and too tall. I needed a pair of jeans. I went to the women's shop that caters to bigger women here. It was my size, for the most part, but I couldn't pull them all the way up because my legs were too long. If I want to buy jeans here, they have to be men's jeans and they're not as nice or as appealing (to my eye) like the women's jeans.
Yes, older generations are always shorter on average. I don't see many tall old people walking around. And yes, I know people shorten a bit with age, but still I can't think of ever meeting a gigantic old man. In fact, very tall people tend to have shorter life spans. I doubt the WWE wrestler, the Big Show, is gonna live until he's 90, per example. Or guys like Larry Bird.

Andrew NDB
08-02-2016, 02:58 PM
Yes, older generations are always shorter on average. I don't see many tall old people walking around. And yes, I know people shorten a bit with age, but still I can't think of ever meeting a gigantic old man. In fact, very tall people tend to have shorter life spans. I doubt the WWE wrestler, the Big Show, is gonna live until he's 90, per example. Or guys like Larry Bird.

Angus Scrimm (the Tall Man from the Phantasm movies) remained 6'+ to his death this past year. He was 89.

Prowler
08-02-2016, 03:04 PM
Angus Scrimm (the Tall Man from the Phantasm movies) remained 6'+ to his death this past year. He was 89.
Well he might be an exception.

I guess it depends on various factors. I think you can get shorter due to back and knee surgeries, per example.

Netkeeper
08-02-2016, 03:05 PM
I have some really ****ing tall uncles.

And my uncles are a bit older because my parents are too.

Prowler
08-02-2016, 03:07 PM
I have some really ****ing tall uncles.

And my uncles are a bit older because my parents are too.
Me and my brother are the tallest members of our family.

None of the older relatives I've met were very tall. they were all of average height. One of my grandfathers was very short. So yeah, no idea how me and my brother turned out tall.

Jester
08-02-2016, 03:13 PM
6'...6' 1" if I stand up completely straight.

Netkeeper
08-02-2016, 04:13 PM
Me and my brother are the tallest members of our family.

None of the older relatives I've met were very tall. they were all of average height. One of my grandfathers was very short. So yeah, no idea how me and my brother turned out tall.
Most of my family is on the shorter side -- the tall uncles I have are all through marriage, not actual relatives of my parents. We're so used to short people around here that tall people actually scare the dogs.

ProactiveMan
08-02-2016, 10:04 PM
Well he might be an exception.

I guess it depends on various factors. I think you can get shorter due to back and knee surgeries, per example.

Statistically it is true that taller people die earlier. I'm not sure why, but I think it's something to do with the wear and tear on your cardiovascular system. You do shrink as you age as well, largely because the gaps between your vertebrae compress I think.

Prowler
08-02-2016, 10:06 PM
Statistically it is true that taller people die earlier. I'm not sure why, but I think it's something to do with the wear and tear on your cardiovascular system. You do shrink as you age as well, largely because the gaps between your vertebrae compress I think.
Well, it depends. If you're like really tall then yes, circulatory issues will happen sooner or later. But if you're like 6'0-6'1(182-185) then I think heart risk and cancer risk are significantly lower for you.

Lethal Lullaby
08-02-2016, 10:20 PM
My height is 5'5.5" eue

Andrew NDB
08-03-2016, 01:23 AM
I'm 5'10".