PDA

View Full Version : Another Kevin Eastman Notebook

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-31-2016, 02:44 PM
This latest volume will focus on Michelangelo.

https://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Michelangelo/dp/1631407783?ie=UTF8&ref_=wl_mb_recs_3_title

Previous entries were the 2014 Annual Notebook and the Raphael notebook.vvNow, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the Raphael volume originally solicited as a Casey Jones study instead?

Did anyone ever buy either of these? What is the appeal and what is the content? I'm curious, especially regarding the Raph and pending Mike notebooks.

Sabacooza
07-31-2016, 02:49 PM
The first was always supposed to be Casey but they made the notebook of the annual special instead. Basically, it was a behind the scenes deal with rough layouts and character sketches. It wasn't anything real special and easily could've been included in the annual. The Raphael notebook will be the first one dealing with individual characters.

I did buy it and being a TMNT fan that likes to gobble up additional content, it was a nice addition. Like I said though, it could've all been included in the annual.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-31-2016, 02:56 PM
The first was always supposed to be Casey but they made the notebook of the annual special instead. Basically, it was a behind the scenes deal with rough layouts and character sketches. It wasn't anything special and easily could've been included in the annual. The Raphael notebook will be the first one dealing with individual characters.

The Raphael notebook hasn't been released yet? <checked Amazon>

August 16. Huh... that explains the lack of reviews.

Mikey in November... if Eastman released four notebooks focusing on each Turtle, I might actually buy those. And I fervently dislike Eastman's style of storytelling. But all that background info... if they're good, I'm all in.

Sabacooza
07-31-2016, 03:08 PM
The Raphael notebook hasn't been released yet? <checked Amazon>

August 16. Huh... that explains the lack of reviews.

Mikey in November... if Eastman released four notebooks focusing on each Turtle, I might actually buy those. And I fervently dislike Eastman's style of storytelling. But all that background info... if they're good, I'm all in.I believe the Raphael notebook was being sold at this year's San Diego Comic Con with an exclusive cover.

oldmanwinters
08-15-2016, 02:46 PM
I peeked at my LCS's copy of the Raphael sketchbook, and it has a lot more to do with Casey Jones than Raphael, so I guess it's title derives from the issue rather than the character focus. It has oodles of Eastman drawings and notes about Casey's early design. I expect the Raphael notebook was the volume that was originally solicited as a Casey Jones notebook before it got shelved in favor of the Annual behind-the-scenes. Some pieces I've seen over the years, but it could be the first time for many of those drawings to see the light of day. There were some various strange concepts Eastman had that didn't meet the final cut.

My favorite note about Casey Jones in the book was Eastman's comment that whereas many comic book vigilantes take up the mantle due to a tragic backstory, he really wanted Jones to become motivated through watching television! Seems like that unique angle got tossed by the wayside in the 4Kids show and some of the Volume 4-era Mirage comics. I'd certainly love to own it, but the hefty price tag keeps me away.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-15-2016, 03:01 PM
I peeked at my LCS's copy of the Raphael sketchbook, and it has a lot more to do with Casey Jones than Raphael, so I guess it's title derives from the issue rather than the character focus. It has oodles of Eastman drawings and notes about Casey's early design. I expect the Raphael notebook was the volume that was originally solicited as a Casey Jones notebook before it got shelved in favor of the Annual behind-the-scenes. Some pieces I've seen over the years, but it could be the first time for many of those drawings to see the light of day. There were some various strange concepts Eastman had that didn't meet the final cut.

My favorite note about Casey Jones in the book was Eastman's comment that whereas many comic book vigilantes take up the mantle due to a tragic backstory, he really wanted Jones to become motivated through watching television! Seems like that unique angle got tossed by the wayside in the 4Kids show and some of the Volume 4-era Mirage comics. I'd certainly love to own it, but the hefty price tag keeps me away.

That makes a lot of sense, actually...

So I suppose the Michelangelo notebook will actually be about the Klunk/toy heist single issue?

oldmanwinters
08-15-2016, 07:05 PM
That makes a lot of sense, actually...

So I suppose the Michelangelo notebook will actually be about the Klunk/toy heist single issue?

I've been thinking about that... and I have no idea what to expect beyond maybe lots of individual page pencils/roughs. Klunk was cute, but there's no way Eastman & Laird thought about his design and motivation like they did with Casey!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-15-2016, 07:21 PM
I've been thinking about that... and I have no idea what to expect beyond maybe lots of individual page pencils/roughs. Klunk was cute, but there's no way Eastman & Laird thought about his design and motivation like they did with Casey!

I think the Michelangelo micro-series (issue) is where they realized "Hey, each Turtle has been given a personality except for Michelangelo... we'd better fix that!" :tlol:

oldmanwinters
08-15-2016, 07:29 PM
I think the Michelangelo micro-series (issue) is where they realized "Hey, each Turtle has been given a personality except for Michelangelo... we'd better fix that!" :tlol:

You got that right!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-15-2016, 07:49 PM
You got that right!

And then they went and forgot again, except for Issue (I think) #17, where Mikey writes the story of him saving a Japanese princess? That was IT for Volume 1.

oldmanwinters
08-15-2016, 07:55 PM
And then they went and forgot again, except for Issue (I think) #17, where Mikey writes the story of him saving a Japanese princess? That was IT for Volume 1.

In TMNT #1, Leonardo got the opening narration, Raphael got his own solo adventure, Donatello got to deliver the final blow to Shredder, and Michelangelo got to say "I'm tired, Leonardo."

:tlol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-15-2016, 08:05 PM
In TMNT #1, Leonardo got the opening narration, Raphael got his own solo adventure, Donatello got to deliver the final blow to Shredder, and Michelangelo got to say "I'm tired, Leonardo."

Sad but true.

"We all are, Mike," Leo responds. Leaving the rest of the sentence "so suck it up and lets go" unsaid...

DK2
08-15-2016, 09:47 PM
I can't stand IDW milking out everything with Kevin's artwork layouts/sketches. Its great to see and the memories/trivia are insightful but everything from IDW is always the same prices, $40 hardcovers. This just turns me off from ever buying their TMNT books. You compare it to the Annual HC's and the Ultimate Collection and The Works HC's are at the same price or $10 higher for way more pages. Its ridiculous! In value and comparison IDW needs to get their act in gear and start making things less costly instead. They're a big publishing company now and really put out alot of books with DC and Marvel. Yet their price points are truly questionable. Just as the TMNT Adventures trades are always $20 for 4-5 issues. Like c'mon.

myconius
09-03-2016, 08:53 PM

at least Mike also was the first one to report to Splinter on how their first battle went.

but yeah, he didn't get much love in issue #1.