PDA

View Full Version : TMNT comics in an ideal world

Panda_Kahn_fan
07-31-2016, 04:24 PM
Look, I'm perfectly happy with the IDW comic as it is. It's my favotire TMNT incarnation in existence. But in an ideal TMNT comic world, where the comic market could sustain it, I'd love to actually see two separate TMNT comics, each geared towards two different audiences. This thought was inspired by the batman and wonder woman comics based on the old shows that came out a few years ago.

First, I'd love to see an ongoing comic based on the OT, but one that picks up right after the original 5 part miniseries, ignores what comes after, and continues from there. Pizza, multicolored masks, hundreds of mutants, and cowabunga, mixed with a slightly more serious tone, actual weapon usage, and no slapstick or silliness. Bring the OT leatherhead, Slash, and rat king in in a more serious way, along with toy characters and mutants that never got to appear in the OT. A series that won't degenerate into Eco-preaching (Archie). Call it Teenage Mutant ninja turtles: Heroes or something. And let David Wise write the thing.

The other comic I'd love to see would be a comic that continues after Mirage volume 1; red masks, killing, black and white turtles. Grim, gritty, hardcore 'ninja action' on an r-rated level. Give it to Tristan Jones to write and Eastman on art, and take all limits on blood and violence off. Let the them tell stories about mobsters and gangsters and more serious supernatural and sci-fi threats, on glorious duotone befitting the classic 80's comics. Call it Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mirage.

Let the two books go their separate ways, and each either survive or fail on it's own merits. That's what I'd love in an ideal TMNT comic world. I know there are other TMNT versions, but these are the ones that I think would satisfy most people. So what about everybody else? If we didn't have the awesomeness of IDW, what ideal IDW comic would all of you have like to have seen?

neatoman
07-31-2016, 04:34 PM
Be careful what you wish for. To take the hypothetical FW comic as an example, if you really get Wise on that book it could easily stink of his typical problems you didn't notice as a kid, it could also easily end up written by someone like me and my earnest attempt at writing such a book would probably be a total mockery of the show.

CyberCubed
07-31-2016, 04:36 PM
There's no reason at this time for comics based on older stuff. The Nick comic isn't selling well and I don't believe comics based on any older incarnation will do much better.

Mirage still holds the rights to make their own comics if they want to, so its not like Mirage is dead in the water.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-31-2016, 06:32 PM
I have zero interest in a Mirage comic. Just give me a conclusion to Volume 4; that's all Mirage has left to offer me. It was a certain style and time, and it's over, for better or worse.

As for Fred Wolf TMNT, burn it with fire. [ADDED] Even the idea; burn it with fire.

MikeandRaph87
07-31-2016, 06:41 PM
I have zero interest in a Mirage comic. Just give me a conclusion to Volume 4; that's all Mirage has left to offer me. It was a certain style and time, and it's over, for better or worse.

As for Fred Wolf TMNT, burn it with fire. [ADDED] Even the idea; burn it with fire.

http://4tyrFUGkLQWtyeCoHNDHTzJJ8Ws9Ho1ERFn Really,CKD? I would love to see the '87 cartoon carry on in comic book form.

As for Mirage, I have zero interest, but if I get mine and the others get their cersion,why not? I would be curious of sales comparison in the situation both titles coexisted.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-31-2016, 07:05 PM
http://4tyrFUGkLQWtyeCoHNDHTzJJ8Ws9Ho1ERFn Really,CKD? I would love to see the '87 cartoon carry on in comic book form.

As for Mirage, I have zero interest, but if I get mine and the others get their cersion,why not? I would be curious of sales comparison in the situation both titles coexisted.

Really. I have Andrew Modeen levels of hate for Fred Wolf TMNT. :tlol:

MikeandRaph87
07-31-2016, 07:16 PM
Really. I have Andrew Modeen levels of hate for Fred Wolf TMNT. :tlol:

You don't show it. Unless you use my approach of the two I detest Image and Next Mutation and completely ignore to the loint you oretend it does not exist. Also, attempt to avoid any conversion of either version. Thoughts of ripping the issue to pieces which Donatello was killed in in front of the comic writer has crossed my mind, but I wouldn't act on it.

I thought you liked my 1987 take at the very least.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
07-31-2016, 07:21 PM
You don't show it. Unless you use my approach of the two I detest Image and Next Mutation and completely ignore to the loint you oretend it does not exist. Also, attempt to avoid any conversion of either version. Thoughts of ripping the issue to pieces which Donatello was killed in in front of the comic writer has crossed my mind, but I wouldn't act on it.

I thought you liked my 1987 take at the very least.

I don't!? :tlol:

I appreciate your effort and thought into improving and continuing it. You put quite a bit of thought into it. I may not like the source, but I won't deny what you put into it.

I love me some Image TMNT. I can put up with Cyborg Donatello in exchange for Shredder Raphael and Author/Babysitter Michelangelo.

MikeandRaph87
07-31-2016, 08:00 PM
I don't!? :tlol:

I appreciate your effort and thought into improving and continuing it. You put quite a bit of thought into it. I may not like the source, but I won't deny what you put into it.

I love me some Image TMNT. I can put up with Cyborg Donatello in exchange for Shredder Raphael and Author/Babysitter Michelangelo.

No, not really. You make preferences known, but you are the model for what black and white comic fans should be.

I see. You appreciate the clean up and rewrites to modernize and honor it. I would do the same in the reversed situation (Mirage). Which reminds me I still need to hit you back about your IDW take. IDW is something I really like so its not the same.

Thread topic, I am wondering before IDW ends its run with the license we would get a mini-series based on either Mirage or the 1987 cartoon.

ProphetofGanja
07-31-2016, 08:23 PM
Eh, honestly seems unnecessary. I'm really happy with the IDW series and I wouldn't trade it in for anything. I think I'll be even happier when we get an issue about every two weeks starting next month

CyberCubed
07-31-2016, 09:10 PM
Donatello turning into a cyborg in Image was the least of that series problems, it was a good idea but it went on the entire run of the book.

ProphetofGanja
08-01-2016, 09:39 AM
Ya know I wouldn't mind a plot point in the IDW series where Donnie actually begins to miss certain aspects of having a digital robot brain, such as the increased data-processing power and ability to link to other systems like their home security and whatnot. He could start wearing Google Glass :lol: :lol: :lol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-01-2016, 09:45 AM
Ya know I wouldn't mind a plot point in the IDW series where Donnie actually begins to miss certain aspects of having a digital robot brain, such as the increased data-processing power and ability to link to other systems like their home security and whatnot. He could start wearing Google Glass :lol: :lol: :lol:

He already made reference to missing certain aspects when he and Honeycutt were reviving the Utroms in the recent #56-58 story arc.

ProphetofGanja
08-01-2016, 09:49 AM
He already made reference to missing certain aspects when he and Honeycutt were reviving the Utroms in the recent #56-58 story arc.

Yeah, I would just like to see it touched on again. I'm ready for more character-developing moments, these last few issues have all taken place in a very short period of time and featured a lot of action, which is good, but I like the series to have a nice balance to it. IDW has been doing a good job of this, I guess I'm just getting impatient

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-01-2016, 09:53 AM
Yeah, I would just like to see it touched on again. I'm ready for more character-developing moments, these last few issues have all taken place in a very short period of time and featured a lot of action, which is good, but I like the series to have a nice balance to it. IDW has been doing a good job of this, I guess I'm just getting impatient

That's true. Myself, I'm quite curious about this upcoming "Chasing Phantoms" arc simply because the antagonists have zero casual appeal for me. Darius Dun and Street Phantoms, really? :trolleye: Except it's IDW, and I'm excited to see them transform some cheap useless characters into a more compelling threat.

It should be interesting.

But also... TMNT UNIVERSE! With Bishop, Stockman, and a new mutant!!! :tcool:

ProphetofGanja
08-01-2016, 10:08 AM
That's true. Myself, I'm quite curious about this upcoming "Chasing Phantoms" arc simply because the antagonists have zero casual appeal for me. Darius Dun and Street Phantoms, really? :trolleye: Except it's IDW, and I'm excited to see them transform some cheap useless characters into a more compelling threat.

It should be interesting.

But also... TMNT UNIVERSE! With Bishop, Stockman, and a new mutant!!! :tcool:

Having never watched the 2K3 cartoon or whatever the Street Phantoms and Dunn are from, I have no real opinion but I'm curious to see what IDW does with them.

But yeah TMNTU is what has me really pumped! I'm eager to see a "man in black" type character in the series and all the stories that could lead into.

Also, I really wanna know when Null will pop up again

Weapons@theready
08-01-2016, 02:44 PM
Just give me The Forever War...that's all I want

pferreira
08-04-2016, 09:31 AM
First, I'd love to see an ongoing comic based on the OT, but one that picks up right after the original 5 part miniseries, ignores what comes after, and continues from there. So delete nine years of OT Turtles?! Why would you bother wanting a comic based on the OT in the first place. :lol:

Be careful what you wish for. To take the hypothetical FW comic as an example, if you really get Wise on that book it could easily stink of his typical problems you didn't notice as a kid, it could also easily end up written by someone like me and my earnest attempt at writing such a book would probably be a total mockery of the show.Well then it's a good think Wise is a respected, qualified writer and you aren't isn't it? :P

neatoman
08-04-2016, 12:20 PM
Well then it's a good think Wise is a respected, qualified writer and you aren't isn't it? :P

Please, Wise is a hack and everyone knows it, he's not respected or qualified at all. The only reason this human photocopier got work is that Fred Wolf and his ilk valued syndication deals and low budgets over decent writing.