PDA

View Full Version : Would the 1990 film work for today's kids?

Spike Spiegel
07-31-2016, 06:36 PM
What the title says. Give your reasons why/why not. For those of you who have children and have shown them the film, what did they think?

slingtheory
07-31-2016, 07:07 PM
I think it would.I consider that film to be an almost perfect distillation of what the tmnt were and still are. I'd even go as far as saying it might even play better to kids today than it should've with us back in the day since the recent material of the last decade and up hasn't been shy about includin the mirage element's we had no exposure to

ProactiveMan
07-31-2016, 10:49 PM
I think kids would still like it – they tend to take things at face value. Adult children however… “Their lips don’t synch perfectly to the words they’re saying!? Worst movie since Battlefield Earth!!” #SplinterSoRacist

Andrew NDB
07-31-2016, 10:51 PM
Part of me wants to do an edit of the movie, digitally fix a lot of the lip-synchings, color correct it a little different, and play with a couple of other things (a black and white version where the only colors are, #1, their red bandannas, and #2, any blood is one thing I'd consider, or just digitally changing all the bandannas to red).

Maybe when I get my new rig and a bit of spare time.

FredWolfLeonardo
07-31-2016, 11:10 PM
Id definetly day yes. And Id also say that it would work better than any othere turtles film, i consider the 1990 version to be the best and most definitive tmnt movie of all.

DarkFell
07-31-2016, 11:48 PM
Also stepping in here to say that yes the old TMNT film could still work among the kiddies of today despite its minor puppetry flaws. They might think it would be great to see a movie that isn't CGI generated.

CyberCubed
08-01-2016, 12:20 AM
The young kids of today might be confused about Danny's "Sony Walkman" as well as April's 80's/90's hairstyle, but other than that it should be fine.

Longview01
08-01-2016, 01:34 AM
My 4 year old loves the first 2 films

She was pretty bored by the 2014 film but she really enjoyed the 2nd one when I took her to the cinema to watch it

Wildcat
08-01-2016, 05:15 AM

She was pretty bored by the 2014 film but she really enjoyed the 2nd one when I took her to the cinema to watch itWas bored by TMNT 2014 movie...Has nothing to do with be 4 years old. :lol:

I like how its specifically with that movie. Im not defending it and I have not seen Out of the Shadows but that just made me laugh.

How is this even a legitimate gauge on what she thinks of any of these movies? She's 4. A toddler's attention must go through various ups and downs in a day. If she was bored it was probably because she wanted to do something else.

Etsyturtle2
08-01-2016, 06:16 AM
The young kids of today might be confused about Danny's "Sony Walkman" as well as April's 80's/90's hairstyle, but other than that it should be fine.

No, they wouldn't.

Longview01
08-01-2016, 11:12 AM
Was bored by TMNT 2014 movie...Has nothing to do with be 4 years old. :lol:

I like how its specifically with that movie. Im not defending it and I have not seen Out of the Shadows but that just made me laugh.

How is this even a legitimate gauge on what she thinks of any of these movies? She's 4. A toddler's attention must go through various ups and downs in a day. If she was bored it was probably because she wanted to do something else.

I spend enough time with her and watch enough films with her to get a decent idea of her reaction to films, I think I know my own child

thundermaster612
08-01-2016, 12:57 PM
Can 2015 Kopaka's shield make a good Lava Board for Tahu?
NO.
Kids today think that screaming those dumbass things called vines out loud in public like a literal asylum escapee is cool. They would probably get a seizure from seeing the live action turtles because they are so dumb. And I do mean seizure. How the **** am I even in this generation as a kid?

snake
08-01-2016, 01:23 PM
NO.
Kids today think that screaming those dumbass things called vines out loud in public like a literal asylum escapee is cool. They would probably get a seizure from seeing the live action turtles because they are so dumb. And I do mean seizure. How the **** am I even in this generation as a kid?

Le wrung generashun amirite?

TheSkeletonMan939
08-01-2016, 04:38 PM

I'm probably the only person here who knows what that means.

Mew
08-01-2016, 05:16 PM
I'm probably the only person here who knows what that means.
It's a Bionicle reference. I used to collect them and followed the new series.

I'm 14 and watched the movie a bunch when I was younger. Loved it a lot after I wasn't scared by the Movie 3 TMNT.

Wildcat
08-01-2016, 10:22 PM
I spend enough time with her and watch enough films with her to get a decent idea of her reaction to films, I think I know my own childWell I didn't mean anything personal its just I can barely remember anything I was into at 4 or 5 years old that I still like today. I can only think of maybe 3 or 4 things.

Coola Yagami
08-01-2016, 11:30 PM
Depends how young they are. The overabundance of dated slang will make some kids roll their eyes and ask you if you really talked like that when you were their age.

Come to think of it... other than maybe 'dude', noone I ever met really talked like they did unless you were purposely imitating the turtles. The only other person at the time to say cowabubga was Bart Simpson.

pferreira
08-04-2016, 09:39 AM
If they made this movie today they'd need to show the kids stealing boxes of iphones or something like that. :D

Katie
08-06-2016, 06:44 AM
It would fail miserably.

Everyone would spend too much time discussing the Rotten Tomatoes score and would go in expecting a pile of crap movie, fixate on all the weird production flaws like being able to see the guy inside Donatello, and then discuss it at length on the internet.

People would stay away based on the terrible word of mouth.

Its pretty much how every movie like this goes these days.

Technogeek29
08-06-2016, 09:31 AM
Watch it with younger cousins not too long ago. Only thing they really commented on was the swearing thinking it was cool. So more or less our reactions at the time.

thundermaster612
08-06-2016, 11:10 AM
Watch it with younger cousins not too long ago. Only thing they really commented on was the swearing thinking it was cool. So more or less our reactions at the time.

Of course little kids think swearing is cool.

CyberCubed
08-07-2016, 01:07 AM
Literally the only swearing in this movie is, "Damn" which is very mild. You don't hear "bitch" or "dumbass" in this movie like you would modern superhero movies.

Powder
08-07-2016, 03:28 AM
Doesn't somebody say "Bitchin'" at some point, or was that only left over in the comic adaption? I'm pretty sure that word has ties to the film one way or another.

DarkFell
08-07-2016, 03:44 AM
It does - Raphael says "Bitchin!" while he and the rest of his bros are high 'threeing' after the supposed death of The Shredder, before Splinter mentions that he "has always like ..Cowabunga."

Technogeek29
08-07-2016, 10:26 AM
Literally the only swearing in this movie is, "Damn" which is very mild. You don't hear "bitch" or "dumbass" in this movie like you would modern superhero movies.

Doesn't somebody say "Bitchin'" at some point, or was that only left over in the comic adaption? I'm pretty sure that word has ties to the film one way or another.

It does - Raphael says "Bitchin!" while he and the rest of his bros are high 'threeing' after the supposed death of The Shredder, before Splinter mentions that he "has always like ..Cowabunga."

At the end Bitchin is said by Raph, Leo says Hellacious the various uses of Damn and Mike using a shell pun during the final foot fight.

CyberCubed
08-07-2016, 12:31 PM

Weird, I must have watched this movie like 50 times and I don't think I've ever heard Raph say "Bitchin'" any time I've ever seen it. I just never noticed it, either that or he says it so fast or the music was playing too loud I didn't hear it.

Prowler
08-07-2016, 12:42 PM
I watched it for the first time ever back in 2002-2003 and liked it fine. I was only 12-13 at the time.

slingtheory
08-08-2016, 11:51 AM
At the end Bitchin is said by Raph, Leo says Hellacious the various uses of Damn and Mike using a shell pun during the final foot fight.

"Well, it was a shell of a good hit"
"I like it. Step up"

You know for the longest time raph's bitchin sounded like he was saying "legit" to me. I was almost in my 20s before I realized he was cursing

Masterpiece
10-13-2016, 10:09 PM
Yes, the masterpiece known as TMNT 1990 would be brilliant for today's kids.

That is what a REAL film is like.

My little siblings adore that movie and the characters.

Tetsu Deinonychus
11-02-2016, 12:16 PM
Weird, I always remembered it being Michelangelo who says "bitchin". I guess I should watch closely next time.

And, yeah I think the movie holds up incredibly well. The first is still the best. Kids might see it as an "old" movie, but (at least if they like TMNT) I doubt they'll see it as a bad movie.

sgtfbomb
11-08-2016, 09:33 AM
Actual kid-kids? Yeah, they might like it.There is a cynicism that the really young ones don't have or haven't developed yet.

Once they get into those pre-teen/teen/post-teen years though, oh my God, so many cynical, sarcastic opinions about everything..... Blah blah blah Martha blah blah blah lens flares blah blah blah Michael Bay is awesome blah blah blah not enough or too much CG blah blah blah it needs to be edgy.

DisKosh
11-19-2016, 02:56 AM
I watched it with a friend recently who's seventeen and he really enjoyed it. I admit, we did laugh at the early 90s elements and some of the production values but not maliciously. We still appreciate and enjoy it, the turtles are always fun especially in their interactions with each other.

I actually didn't see this film as a kid. I only saw it when I was 22 and I enjoyed it so much I had to restrain myself from seeing it twice in one day. With hindsight, I'm glad I didn't see it as a kid because I would have noticed the production values, but now I'm much better at willing suspension of disbelief so I can focus on what matters most.

Tetsu Deinonychus
12-28-2016, 12:41 PM
I think the only parts that don't hold up are those "slang contests" the Turtles get into that go on forever. I liked those as a kid, but as an adult They kinda make me roll my eyes.

Everything else, still holds up great. I think today's kids would be fine with it.

inaheap
12-28-2016, 03:36 PM
I think kids today will enjoy this movie. Were someone to make a updated version while still leaving out most of the CGI I think they would love it even more. One of the reasons I loved this movie as a kid is it had a tangibility to it. That made it feel real.

CyberCubed
12-28-2016, 05:15 PM
I think there wouldn't be enough action to keep kids attention nowadays. There's no explosions every 5 minutes or huge fight scenes bar the attack on April's house scene.

pferreira
12-30-2016, 09:16 AM
I think there wouldn't be enough action to keep kids attention nowadays. There's no explosions every 5 minutes or huge fight scenes bar the attack on April's house scene.Yeah kids would find it way too boring.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
01-04-2017, 06:15 AM
It's still confusing for those not knowing Mirage.

ssjup81
01-04-2017, 07:56 PM
It's still confusing for those not knowing Mirage.I didn't know of Mirage at the time of the film and wasn't confused despite my only exposure being the cartoon series. I just sat back and enjoyed the film. I don't think I ever questioned why Splinter was a rat instead of Hamato Yoshi.

As a kid, the only things that I found silly even by movie standards was Splinter training in his cage (looked silly) and Splinter flipping Shredder off of the roof (looked stupid, but always made me laugh).

ToTheNines
01-04-2017, 08:04 PM
They could have made Splinter flipping Shredder look better, but I've always just pretended that Splinter is SO fast that you just can't see what he even did to throw him like that.

DestronMirage22
01-04-2017, 09:21 PM
This classic definitely doesn't work for the kids of today. Little kids want their movie characters to be bright and colorful, constantly making lame jokes or farting or whatever. And teens care more about explosions and gratuitous sex, than actual plot.

PApagreg
01-04-2017, 09:26 PM
This classic definitely doesn't work for the kids of today. Little kids want their movie characters to be bright and colorful, constantly making lame jokes or farting or whatever. And teens care more about explosions and gratuitous sex, than actual plot.

Yeah, thats why Zootopia or Coraline bombed in box office. On Topic I can see kids liking the 1990 version, I mean sure there are some slow scenes here and there but the action can keep them satisfied

01-05-2017, 04:35 AM

She was pretty bored by the 2014 film but she really enjoyed the 2nd one when I took her to the cinema to watch it

Wasn't that film rated higher than 4?

Zachatello00
01-05-2017, 08:32 AM
All I can contribute to the conversation is that my kids prefer the 1990 movie to Michael Bay's movies. But, to be fair, as is implied by my current avatar and signature, their daddy is a little biased...:twink:

TigerClaw
01-05-2017, 09:19 AM
The 1990 movie was good for its time, But the problem it was a product of the 90s.

Today's generation is all about smartphones and social media, something the original didn't have because we didn't had those back in the days.

In order for TMNT to appeal to today's kids, It needs to be more modern, which is what the Nick series has been doing.

pferreira
01-05-2017, 10:28 AM
Today's generation is all about smartphones and social media, something the original didn't have because we didn't had those back in the days.Good point! A kid might question why April doesn't just call for help via a mobile or use Twitter followers to help locate Splinter after he's captured. Crazy but true. :D

TigerClaw
01-05-2017, 11:48 AM
Good point! A kid might question why April doesn't just call for help via a mobile or use Twitter followers to help locate Splinter after he's captured. Crazy but true. :D
and the T-Phone in the new series is more like a smartphone.

01-05-2017, 12:16 PM
and the T-Phone in the new series is more like a smartphone.

Then the original films should maybe have Turtlecoms?

Candy Kappa
01-05-2017, 12:20 PM
I donno, maybe not having smartphones and social media is a plus, especially when you see how awful old people try to write those things are in movies and TV shows.

Powder
01-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Yeah, the Skype product placement in the first Bayfilm for example... Subtle.

CyberCubed
01-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Danny's Sony Walkman would be unheard of to today's kids.

01-05-2017, 12:38 PM
But don't Sony Walkman CD-players still exist?

Candy Kappa
01-05-2017, 12:39 PM
I don't think kids would be too confused about it, it's a old movie set in a different time period. With context it shouldn't be a big deal, I'd recon few kids question the usage of maps and swords in The Hobbit instead of desert eagles and gps apps on iphones.

01-05-2017, 12:41 PM
I don't think kids would be too confused about it, it's a old movie set in a different time period. With context it shouldn't be a big deal, I'd recon few kids question the usage of maps and swords in The Hobbit instead of desert eagles and gps apps on iphones.

It's easier to differ the Middle Ages from today than comparing 1990 (or 1989, since that's the year it was recorded) to 2016.

Candy Kappa
01-05-2017, 12:46 PM
Hyperbole, dude.

TigerClaw
01-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Danny's Sony Walkman would be unheard of to today's kids.
For today's audience, Danny would just have a smartphone to listen to all that music.

Andrew NDB
01-05-2017, 01:26 PM
I could probably weigh in on this experiment eventually. Right now, I have no idea.

My daughter (9 now) has only seen glimpses of the 1990 movie. She did remark that "Oh, they're real in this one!" She's seen the 2014 movie and said it was "kind of too violent."

ToTheNines
01-05-2017, 01:32 PM
IShe's seen the 2014 movie and said it was "kind of too violent."

That's an interesting perception. Even an on off day, the Nick show is 100 times more violent than that movie.

CyberCubed
01-05-2017, 02:04 PM
Other dated elements in the original film is April saying, "Why can't I dream of Harrison Ford?"

1990 era Harrison Ford was still fairly young and attractive. Now Harrison Ford is old enough to be your grandfather.

Andrew NDB
01-05-2017, 02:06 PM
Other dated elements in the original film is April saying, "Why can't I dream of Harrison Ford?"

1990 era Harrison Ford was still fairly young and attractive. Now Harrison Ford is old enough to be your grandfather.

Yeah, the line would take on a whole different context now.

sgtfbomb
01-05-2017, 04:09 PM
In film school, whenever they would show an older movie, 80% of the class would walk out. I would face palm every time and think "what a bunch of tools," imagining film school students in 50 to 70 years walking out of The Avengers because it was "old, boring and had outdated visual effects."

Even as a kid, I never cared if things were "dated" or "old."Not even my age was like that. I've always found it kinda babyish to not watch a movie or play a game or listen to a song that is "old," like refusing to eat the vegetables your mother was trying to feed you. And I find it a little naive whenever I hear someone use the word "dated" as a criticism. No freaking d'uh. Everything made in any era is a product of its era.

Actually, often I find it easier to watch a movie from a different era because then you don't have all the trailers, hype, and so on working against the film, and I get to look at it with fresh eyes. But that is just me.

CyberCubed
01-05-2017, 05:03 PM
In film school, whenever they would show an older movie, 80% of the class would walk out..

Really? People who actually paid to go to film school would walk out because the instructor showed an older movie? Are those people stupid? Isn't the whole point to teach them how movies were made?

sgtfbomb
01-05-2017, 06:34 PM
Really? People who actually paid to go to film school would walk out because the instructor showed an older movie? Are those people stupid? Isn't the whole point to teach them how movies were made?

They were 18 year olds. So, naturally, they already knew it, like all people right out of high school know everything.

Not everyone was like that. Many found the experience interesting, though there were some snobby snickers over The Graduate. One girl, who was all attitude and no brains, said "What's this dude's problem? He's so clingy!" I'm sitting there thinking ,"Well duh! That's his character."

Oh, and the amount of times I heard someone use the word "edgy" all throughout my entire film school career was about 8,000,000 times too many. I am pretty sure people use that word when they can't articulate a reasoning for their opinion and need to say something that sounds meaningful, but actually shallow.

Logan
01-06-2017, 10:20 PM
In film school, whenever they would show an older movie, 80% of the class would walk out. I would face palm every time and think "what a bunch of tools,"

I ran into that on occasion with my own film school experience, although nowhere near that percentile. We had a guy who was obsessed with the Halloween films but had no problem being dismissive of the creative and technical merits of Citizen Kane. It was obnoxious, and my buddies and I would make fun of him for it.

As for the 1990 film working for the current generation... I'd say so. I've two nephews who were born in the early 2000s and they loved the original films. But maybe I'm giving the youth of today the benefit of the doubt.

DisKosh
01-07-2017, 09:10 AM

Exactly! I remember reading Enid Blyton books as a kid in the late 90s/early 2000s and they, being written in the 50s were incredibly dated, but I just understood that they were written in a different time period. If I didn't know anything I'd just ask my parents or grandparents for clarification and kids these days have more access to the internet so they'll find it even easier to understand.

Tetsu Deinonychus
01-07-2017, 09:40 AM
Are you talking about what kids actually like or what movie studios insist that kids like?

Prowler
01-07-2017, 10:14 AM
True. When i was a little kid and watched old movies I didn't question why they didn't have phones or computers. If an 11 year old doesn't know that back in the 80s everyone wasn't walking around with a tablet and a smartphone then his parents need to educate him better.

I honestly don't remember that line at all. Even though it's been years since I've seen that movie.

Hard to believe Harrison Ford was considered a sex symbol at some point.

PApagreg
01-07-2017, 11:10 AM

Also they have shows like Gravity falls and Regular Show where characters have lots of old tech. Also why desert eagles of all things

CyberCubed
01-07-2017, 02:41 PM
I honestly don't remember that line at all. Even though it's been years since I've seen that movie.

April says it right after she wakes up from fainting on the couch, right before Splinter tells her the backstory of how the Turtles got mutated.

ToTheNines
01-07-2017, 02:55 PM

http://cdn3-www.craveonline.com/assets/uploads/gallery/10-star-wars-characters-who-deserve-their-own-video-games/hansolo.png

Say that again.

CyberCubed
01-07-2017, 02:57 PM
That type of hair style isn't really popular nowadays though, same for Luke's. That long bushy hair that goes over the ears, reminds me of Mel Gibson's mullet in Lethal Weapon too.

sgtfbomb
01-07-2017, 03:29 PM
That type of hair style isn't really popular nowadays though, same for Luke's. That long bushy hair that goes over the ears, reminds me of Mel Gibson's mullet in Lethal Weapon too.

TMNT is a 90s film. April is a 90s woman. Many 90s women considered Harrison Ford and Mel Gibson sex symbols. My mom had a huge crush on Gibson. That's something a wannabe-intellectual teenager or twenty-something will complain about, not a kid.

Also, Harrison Ford cut his hair for most of his roles afterwords. In fact, his other most famous role is Indiana Jones, where he has a rugged, yet maintained look.

Plus, in 1990, had the line been "Why can't I dream about Channing Tatum?" April would be in jail.

EDIT: One thing I love about Judith's April is that she is very much a woman. She also has the most personality of the film Aprils.

newhire13
01-10-2017, 10:32 AM
Idk, it is very much a product of its time (a great product, but still). I mean things we didn't blink at about the film back then usually gets a chuckle now. I've been to a few screenings over the past few years and Raphael's unconscious body in the bathtub and Splinter mimicking Yoshi always had the theater erupt in laughter :/ I think it would be entertaining, but slightly mocked too. Not at all its fault though, people even roll their eyes at the original Superman movie now.

sgtfbomb
01-10-2017, 09:05 PM
That sounds like more of an issue with the audience than the film. That's our culture now. "Let's take apart these movies that are/were popular and disassemble them for laughs." Cinema Sins, Honest Trailers, HISHE, podcasters, bloggers, etc, get off on doing that. It's what passes for wit these days.

PApagreg
01-10-2017, 09:14 PM
That sounds like more of an issue with the audience than the film. That's our culture now. "Let's take apart these movies that are/were popular and disassemble them for laughs." Cinema Sins, Honest Trailers, HISHE, podcasters, bloggers, etc, get off on doing that. It's what passes for wit these days.

UMMM parody has been doing that for years hell those guys were probably inspired by MST3K and Siskel and Ebert.

Xav
01-10-2017, 11:57 PM
Plus, in 1990, had the line been "Why can't I dream about Channing Tatum?" April would be in jail.Wait in 1990 you could go to jail for dreaming about people no one ever heard of?

Technogeek29
01-11-2017, 01:33 AM
Wait in 1990 you could go to jail for dreaming about people no one ever heard of?

That's news to me. Fantasizing is morally frown upon sure but unless you act on those thoughts or the person is bothered by it in some fashion, most just ignore you.

ssjup81
01-11-2017, 03:29 AM
That type of hair style isn't really popular nowadays though, same for Luke's. That long bushy hair that goes over the ears, reminds me of Mel Gibson's mullet in Lethal Weapon too.Young Harrison Ford was handsome, as were the other young guys in the films...Billy Dee Williams especially!! :tlove: Sucks they're all old now.

sgtfbomb
01-11-2017, 10:08 AM
UMMM parody has been doing that for years hell those guys were probably inspired by MST3K and Siskel and Ebert.

MST3K or Rifftrax, it works because the tone fits their humor. They don't pretend to be intellectuals by making superficial critiques.

And they're actually funny.

Wait in 1990 you could go to jail for dreaming about people no one ever heard of?

I like how out of what I said in the post, this is the one thing people picked up on. Not that part where it's silly to nitpick a movie where a 90's woman dreams of an 80s/90s sex symbol, much less complaining about the 90s music, the 90s hair, the 90s clothes, 90s references -- jeez, it's almost like this movie was made in the 90s...

PApagreg
01-11-2017, 11:31 AM
MST3K or Rifftrax, it works because the tone fits their humor. They don't pretend to be intellectuals by making superficial critiques.

And they're actually funny.

How the hell does Honest trailer and HISHE pretend to be intellectuals, Cinema sins maybe but for all three its obvious they're just having fun and pretending to be entertainers. Also I remember MST3K making superficial critiques

sgtfbomb
01-11-2017, 07:06 PM
How the hell does Honest trailer and HISHE pretend to be intellectuals, Cinema sins maybe but for all three its obvious they're just having fun and pretending to be entertainers. Also I remember MST3K making superficial critiques

MST3K is really the only thing I like that's like that. Joe Bob Briggs too. But I usually don't like jokey criticisms made for laughs. Not from bloggers nor you tubers. I just don't care for it.

I want you to know that opinions can be conditional. I can like MST3K and not like armchair critics (bloggers, You Tubers, podcasters) nor things like Cinema Sins and Honest Trailers. That is a thing a person can do.

Also, to be fair, it's not really Cinema Sins and Honest Trailers that I don't like. It's more about the people who watch it. Those people who like to nitpick tiny stuff like lens flares, raspy voices, and high heels.

I am not sure why this a big deal. I was defending TMNT '90 and stating that it's stupid to criticize a 90s movie for being a 90s movie. I mean, forget the story and the characters and all the things that are actually important, because they mention Harrison Ford and Moonlighting and Danny has a Sony Walkman and the Burger King logo is old -- because that is what people clearly care about. :roll:

PApagreg
01-11-2017, 09:50 PM
MST3K is really the only thing I like that's like that. Joe Bob Briggs too. But I usually don't like jokey criticisms made for laughs. Not from bloggers nor you tubers. I just don't care for it.

I want you to know that opinions can be conditional. I can like MST3K and not like armchair critics (bloggers, You Tubers, podcasters) nor things like Cinema Sins and Honest Trailers. That is a thing a person can do.

Also, to be fair, it's not really Cinema Sins and Honest Trailers that I don't like. It's more about the people who watch it. Those people who like to nitpick tiny stuff like lens flares, raspy voices, and high heels.

:

Okay I never said anything about you liking MS3TK over Cinema sins so I have no idea where this is coming from I just thought it was kinda strange how you referred HISHE and Honest Trailers as intellectuals. Also it seems you should be focusing on the nitpickers then the entertainers.

01-12-2017, 05:48 AM
In film school, whenever they would show an older movie, 80% of the class would walk out. I would face palm every time and think "what a bunch of tools," imagining film school students in 50 to 70 years walking out of The Avengers because it was "old, boring and had outdated visual effects."

Even as a kid, I never cared if things were "dated" or "old."Not even my age was like that. I've always found it kinda babyish to not watch a movie or play a game or listen to a song that is "old," like refusing to eat the vegetables your mother was trying to feed you. And I find it a little naive whenever I hear someone use the word "dated" as a criticism. No freaking d'uh. Everything made in any era is a product of its era.

Actually, often I find it easier to watch a movie from a different era because then you don't have all the trailers, hype, and so on working against the film, and I get to look at it with fresh eyes. But that is just me.

I had usually no idea how old a book, TV-series or film was when I was about 10.

pferreira
01-12-2017, 08:36 AM
Really? People who actually paid to go to film school would walk out because the instructor showed an older movie? Are those people stupid? Isn't the whole point to teach them how movies were made?I've witnessed worse than this. On my university course hardly anyone ever showed up to the weekly film screening. You'd be lucky if someone showed up to put the VHS tape in. As hardly anyone watched the weekly film it was always left to me to explain the plot. In fairness the films were available in the library to be watched in people's own time but still a lot of times that didn't even happen with the students. :teek:

sgtfbomb
01-12-2017, 08:53 AM
I had usually no idea how old a book, TV-series or film was when I was about 10.

The age of something isn't really something that matters. Even when I was a teen, I was listening to classic rock and contemporary. I was watching old shows and new shows. It didn't really matter to me. Why cling to just right now when there are decades worth of movies, music, shows, and games to dive into? But that's just me.

o put the VHS tape in. As hardly anyone watched the weekly film it was always left to me to explain the plot. In fairness the films were available in the library to be watched in people's own time but still a lot of times that didn't even happen with the students.

In my experience, survey classes like that are usually attendance based. But, you're right, the professor would just grab the films from he school library. There was one thing we as class hated unanimously and that was a several-part documentary we had to watch called The Story of Film. I love documentaries. I love film. I love documentaries about film. But that was the most dreadfully smug piece of crap I've ever seen, mostly thanks to the narrator.

Spitfire
01-15-2017, 03:45 PM
I've witnessed worse than this. On my university course hardly anyone ever showed up to the weekly film screening. You'd be lucky if someone showed up to put the VHS tape in. As hardly anyone watched the weekly film it was always left to me to explain the plot. In fairness the films were available in the library to be watched in people's own time but still a lot of times that didn't even happen with the students. :teek:

I paid insane amounts of money to go to film school. I can't imagine just not showing up to class or doing assignments. We watched a lot of things I wasn't interested in but it's all part of the learning process. We had a lot of students who refused to watch anything that wasn't a blockbuster and the other extreme, hated anything with a budget. The instructors at my school encouraged this behavior by constantly trash talking the latest big budget film without having seen it. Their only basis for the hate was that the film was made under the establishment. This being ironic because not one of my teachers showed us their work when asked. One even snapped at me and told me she didn't have to.

I say if you're going to be a teacher you should be able to display you have knowledge in what you're teaching. Not sure what I expected. My "school" was sued several times for illegal practices so yeah. . .there's that.

TigerClaw
01-15-2017, 03:56 PM
I paid insane amounts of money to go to film school. I can't imagine just not showing up to class or doing assignments. We watched a lot of things I wasn't interested in but it's all part of the learning process. We had a lot of students who refused to watch anything that wasn't a blockbuster and the other extreme, hated anything with a budget. The instructors at my school encouraged this behavior by constantly trash talking the latest big budget film without having seen it. Their only basis for the hate was that the film was made under the establishment. This being ironic because not one of my teachers showed us their work when asked. One even snapped at me and told me she didn't have to.

I say if you're going to be a teacher you should be able to display you have knowledge in what you're teaching. Not sure what I expected. My "school" was sued several times for illegal practices so yeah. . .there's that.
I guess the instructor hates movies done by Marvel Studios, That's an establishment that's been doing extremely well, Sounds like hes more into Indie films.

The 1990 movie is an indie movie itself, Maybe you should mention it to them.

sgtfbomb
01-15-2017, 06:14 PM

Just out of curiosity, was your school a chain of schools. Mine was and my time there started off great, but the quality of the teaching unfortunately degraded after lawsuits and issues with the Government allegedly, which led to budget cuts and laying off instructors (the better ones IMO), and then ultimately deciding to close the local branch down.

I had one teacher who couldn't really articulate or communicate his lessons very well, which was very frustrating because you really want to learn stuff and then you go on to the advance classes where some students were lucky enough to get a more effective instructor, while some of us needed brushing up.

One of my last coarses, the instructor didn't teach us. She put on You Tube videos, which taught us. We paid for a professional grade coarse and got You Tube videos.

pferreira
01-19-2017, 08:12 AM
I paid insane amounts of money to go to film school. I can't imagine just not showing up to class or doing assignments. We watched a lot of things I wasn't interested in but it's all part of the learning process. We watched all types of films but people's part time jobs or a lack of interest prevented them from making any effort. Their education came second. Kind of makes you wonder why do the degree in the first place apart from the whole "oh it's Film Studies, easy degree, all I have to do is watch films!" :roll:

sgtfbomb
01-19-2017, 06:25 PM
We watched all types of films but people's part time jobs or a lack of interest prevented them from making any effort. Their education came second. Kind of makes you wonder why do the degree in the first place apart from the whole "oh it's Film Studies, easy degree, all I have to do is watch films!" :roll:

It takes an adult mind to make it through working and going to school full time. Also, you have those who don't really have to pay anything yet and are used to the restiveness of high school and suddenly get to an environment where skipping class "isn't a big deal." To them, they feel more free than they have ever been in their entire life, but you kinda have to get that out of your system before you can be successful.

01-20-2017, 01:53 PM
The age of something isn't really something that matters. Even when I was a teen, I was listening to classic rock and contemporary. I was watching old shows and new shows. It didn't really matter to me. Why cling to just right now when there are decades worth of movies, music, shows, and games to dive into?

I also did that as a teenager, but then I would usually check out which year it was dated. But as I child, it was different.

I recall having a Tintin cassette-tape about Tintin and his friends travelling by spacecraft to Moon, and Tintin claiming he was the first human on the Moon. I always thought that was stupid when in reality, Neil Armstrong was first in July 1969 and the story should be based on that. The ride was depicted as not too unlike the real Apollo Project (except no Lunar Module and no water splashdown when returning to Earth). While I knew the year of Neil Armstrong's landing, I hat no idea that Tintin story was dated 1953 or something.

Coola Yagami
01-22-2017, 02:01 PM

I am not sure why this a big deal. I was defending TMNT '90 and stating that it's stupid to criticize a 90s movie for being a 90s movie. I mean, forget the story and the characters and all the things that are actually important, because they mention Harrison Ford and Moonlighting and Danny has a Sony Walkman and the Burger King logo is old -- because that is what people clearly care about. :roll:

They also missed the Channing Tatum joke, it went right over their heads. It's not that April would be 'arrested for fantasizing about someone that doesn't exist', it's the fact that back when the movie was made Channing Tatum was like 10 or 12, so April would go to jail for openly admitting she fantasized about a kid. Geez you people, think a little.

sgtfbomb
01-22-2017, 08:07 PM
They also missed the Channing Tatum joke, it went right over their heads. It's not that April would be 'arrested for fantasizing about someone that doesn't exist', it's the fact that back when the movie was made Channing Tatum was like 10 or 12, so April would go to jail for openly admitting she fantasized about a kid. Geez you people, think a little.

It was also about the absurdity that people almost expect a movie from the past to be a movie of today. I have seen contemporary movies where girls mention Channing Tatum in the same way. What will Channing Tatum look like in 20 to 30 years? Part of me thinks that teens and twenty-somethings at that point will be like "Channing who?"Or "Oooo, he's so old!"

A lot of movies that are quoted as being timeless are still very much of their time. The original, classic Die Hard is an example. It has a Run DMC song. It's clearly set in the yuppie/Reagan era. Women have that puffy, big, curly hairstyle. The villain mentions John Waye and John McClain gets his catchphrase from Roy Rogers. (Note: I don't use these examples as criticisms, but as fact.)

The same will be said of movies of today. The question is, is it wrong for a movie to be of its time or is an audience wrong for being closed minded towards movies being dated? Personally, I lean towards the latter.

Then again, movies are my main passion and my focus in life, a craft I am studying. I take films seriously. The first film isn't for me just a part of a franchise I love but my very link to it. It's the main reason why I am here, whereas for others it may be the comics or the animated series.

Xav
01-22-2017, 08:36 PM
They also missed the Channing Tatum joke, it went right over their heads. It's not that April would be 'arrested for fantasizing about someone that doesn't exist', it's the fact that back when the movie was made Channing Tatum was like 10 or 12, so April would go to jail for openly admitting she fantasized about a kid. Geez you people, think a little.I got the joke, I was just making a joke about how ridiculous it was to suggest someone could go to jail for simply thinking something.

sgtfbomb
01-22-2017, 08:49 PM
I got the joke, I was just making a joke about how ridiculous it was to suggest someone could go to jail for simply thinking something.

You may be taking it way too literally. The point was that a 1990s film doesn't cater to a 2017 audience. Channing Tatum may not be the star Harrison Ford was/is, but he was the first person I could think of that a young woman in 2017 would obsess over.

Now it wasn't a very good joke, but who cares? It's what it was trying to say that was more important. It's about how outlandish it is that people expect April to dream of some who is "dreamy" now, not in 1990. Now if anyone should be nitpicking something, it should be that logic. It's weird that people watch a 90's movie and nitpick that it makes 90's references, as if that's more important than the story, characters, etc.

Coola Yagami
01-22-2017, 09:50 PM
Exactly. A decade from now people can watch OOTS and be like 'oh, that's back when Megan Fox was relevant' or making fun of how outdated the technology is.

sgtfbomb
01-22-2017, 10:24 PM
Exactly. A decade from now people can watch OOTS and be like 'oh, that's back when Megan Fox was relevant' or making fun of how outdated the technology is.

Even with Jurassic Park, you can see the outdatedness of its groundbreaking effects. It happens to every movie. Of course, with JP, the effects are used well and are meant to be conform to live action environments as opposed to where CG can sometimes get out of hand these days by trying to get the live action elements to conform to the CG, which is why most of the CG in films like it and Twister still work very well despite easily spotted digital textures and particles. JP is also a good film experience, which goes to show what is truly important, the film experience as a whole.

It's really how the CG is used. The first Independence Day used a combination of miniatures and CG. The new film uses a lot more CG and has sequences that, in theory, are bigger in scope. Yet you feel the scope better in the first film. That's because when the ships first appear, they appear in the real world and we are often on ground level watching with the pedestrians. The new film didn't do that as much. Most will probably blame the CG, but it is really what is done to ground us into the story that makes or breaks a film experience.

With TMNT '90, it's not just the fact that they used Jim Henson's suits. There is so much more to it that makes these characters feel real. The moment between Donnie and Mikey as they wait for pizza, talking about what Splinter said. The scene where they find their lair destroyed and, essentially, their father gone. The campfire sequence. The moments between Danny and Splinter. The later scene when Casey and Danny rescue Splinter. It's the emotional integrity that sells the characters. Without that genuine quality, they'd just be guys in suits, like the kangaroo-like guys in Warriors of Virtue or the aliens from Spaced Invaders. (By the way, I wonder if this is the first time in a long, long time anyone has mentioned or remembered Warriors of Virtue and Spaced Invaders :P )

That's why the 1990 film has yet to be topped. It's the one that has done the best job at treating the characters like real people with real emotions.

THGhost
01-23-2017, 09:19 PM
Some of the references may be a little dated for them to understand, but everything else should be fine.

No, they wouldn't.

Are you kidding? Of course they would.

ssjup81
01-24-2017, 01:25 AM
Some of the references may be a little dated for them to understand, but everything else should be fine.

Are you kidding? Of course they would.I watched reruns of Batman, Green Acres, Leave it to Beaver, etc., and I was never confused by anything in those series. I just liked them. I don't think kids would be all that confused by the stuff in the 1990 film.

Coola Yagami
01-24-2017, 07:31 AM
I watched reruns of Batman, Green Acres, Leave it to Beaver, etc., and I was never confused by anything in those series. I just liked them. I don't think kids would be all that confused by the stuff in the 1990 film.

Exactly. They may not 100% know what they are, but they'll have a vague idea that's it's like 'what they used in the old days'. You forget that most kids have parents that are still using outdated technology. It's usually the kids nowadays showing us old folks how the latest iPhone works.

pferreira
01-26-2017, 11:27 AM
It takes an adult mind to make it through working and going to school full time. Also, you have those who don't really have to pay anything yet and are used to the restiveness of high school and suddenly get to an environment where skipping class "isn't a big deal." To them, they feel more free than they have ever been in their entire life, but you kinda have to get that out of your system before you can be successful.This was university and like myself they paid to be there so yeah not sure why they wouldn't get their monies worth. :-?

THGhost
01-26-2017, 04:49 PM
Maybe "confused" was the wrong word. They still won't get all the references 100%. That's fine though. That won't ruin their enjoyment of the movie.

sgtfbomb
01-29-2017, 06:10 PM
This was university and like myself they paid to be there so yeah not sure why they wouldn't get their monies worth. :-?

I am not sure if all of them paid for it --- or had started paying for it yet. I know of several whose parents paid their way, others military. The most annoying one had tuition paid for by the military (though, you have to keep your grades up and I never saw her again after that class). She was obnoxiously over-confident and oddly enough lacked a serious amount of tact and discipline.

pferreira
02-02-2017, 08:13 AM
I am not sure if all of them paid for it --- or had started paying for it yet. I know of several whose parents paid their way, others military. The most annoying one had tuition paid for by the military (though, you have to keep your grades up and I never saw her again after that class). She was obnoxiously over-confident and oddly enough lacked a serious amount of tact and discipline.Literally after the first year of my degree my class whittled down to half. The half that stayed did so reluctantly. They honestly thought Film & TV Studies just involved watching movies. :roll:

MathUser
02-07-2017, 08:35 AM
I think everyone expects the turtles will be CG now. Having costumes is limiting. They can make them move more ninja like with CG. I just hope next time they make a live action movie they won't change the turtles in such a terrible way. Dressing them differently was fine with me, but I didn't like what they did to their faces.

Edit:
http://i.imgur.com/KynLlXM.gif

Don't do it Mikey!

RaphaelsIsolation
02-08-2017, 09:03 AM
Nah it wouldn't connect. While it is my favorite movie, and the best one I think... it is dated obviously.

That's the charm now. It literally has so many early 90s and late 80s stuff in there like the walkman, the Sid Vicious shirt, the music in general. It has a dark tone and basically is the first comic into a movie kinda.

I think it would do alright, but these cry children of today wouldn't get it.

sgtfbomb
02-08-2017, 07:27 PM
On the subject of things being dated. I have been going through the classic Mighty Morphin Power Rangers series lately and while the localization is glaringly obvious to me as an adult, as a kid, I never once noticed what was even then considered to be outdated effects or the even cheesier effects produced by Saban.

It was the it-show for a while, so a lot of kids didn't care about the cheesiness or "bad effects."

.....and basically is the first comic into a movie kinda.

Not really.

Superman: The Movie
Superman II
Superman III
Superman IV
Supergirl
Batman: The Movie
Batman '89
Swamp Thing
Return of Swamp Thing
Tales From the Crypt (the 70s movie which pre-dated the show)
Vault of Horror

All of those came before TMNT '90. Dick Tracy came out the same year.

Powder
02-08-2017, 07:35 PM
He means it adapts most of the first issue...

RaphaelsIsolation
02-09-2017, 04:37 AM
Yeah. I mean why does everything I say get twisted around?

I mean doesn't the 1st movie have influence of the 1st comic? I always thought so. Maybe I'm crazy?

pferreira
02-09-2017, 08:30 AM
On the subject of things being dated. I have been going through the classic Mighty Morphin Power Rangers series lately and while the localization is glaringly obvious to me as an adult, as a kid, I never once noticed what was even then considered to be outdated effects or the even cheesier effects produced by Saban. I've been see bits of the newer PR shows and for some reason the early ones work better.

Keifel
02-09-2017, 10:51 AM
I don't think that the movie would work for the kids today. All the stuff in the movie is kinda to old for the actual generation. Some of them don't even know what a walkman is.

But for me it's the best TMNT movie :)

sgtfbomb
02-09-2017, 03:41 PM
Yeah. I mean why does everything I say get twisted around?

It wasn't twisted around. You said "first comic into a movie kinda." That wordage implies you are talking general comics, not an actual story/issue/arc into a film. It was just the way you articulated it. Don't take it so personally.

I mean doesn't the 1st movie have influence of the 1st comic? I always thought so. Maybe I'm crazy?

It sure does. From what I remember of the first issue, it has an early moment of Splinter talking to the Turtles in the lair. In the film, it's a life lesson. In the comic, he is sending them to kill his enemy, Shredder. Both end with a rooftop battle with Shredder. In the comic, if I recall, Leo stabs Shredder with his katana and Shredder tries to take everyone else with him by using a grenade, but the Turtles are able to dodge. (I know some people want the R-rated, straight from the early comics TMNT, but I actually prefer what they did with the 90s version.)

Of course, there is the retreating to the farm arc and Return to New York.

Andrew NDB
02-09-2017, 03:47 PM
I mean doesn't the 1st movie have influence of the 1st comic?

That's a pretty loose term. Technically even the Fred Wolf cartoon has the "influence" of the first comic.

The first movie is pretty much night and day different from the first comic.

In the comic, if I recall, Leo stabs Shredder with his katana and Shredder tries to take everyone else with him by using a grenade, but the Turtles are able to dodge. (I know some people want the R-rated, straight from the early comics TMNT, but I actually prefer what they did with the 90s version.)

There's plenty of ways to achieve just about everything from "the early comics TMNT" in a PG-13 rating pushed to the limit.

02-11-2017, 06:24 AM
I don't think that the movie would work for the kids today. All the stuff in the movie is kinda to old for the actual generation. Some of them don't even know what a walkman is.

But for me it's the best TMNT movie :)

That's no big problem. Let the children learn what it was.

thingy
02-11-2017, 12:19 PM
Has anyone thought to ask the children?

He hasn't seen the first one, but my nephew loved the Secret of the Ooze.

sgtfbomb
02-12-2017, 10:50 AM
Has anyone thought to ask the children?

I was actually thinking about that last night when I checked the thread. We have thirty-somethings, twenty-somethings, and probably some teenagers, but none of us are actually kids.

I can tell you how I was as a kid. I can even tell you what the kids at school were like, and I never once heard anything about films being dated. The boys at schooled loved Jaws and Alien, didn't complain about seeing the gears or anything. I know some were watching Godzilla films, including the B&W original. I was enjoying both the 60s Batman and the Keaton Batman.

Now, when we hit the teenage years, that's when I noticed the big change. For everyone in my class, it was about new music, new movies, new television, nothing else. I wasn't like that. I remember saying "I like classic rock" and one of my classmates said "Ugh, why? It's so old."

When I was in high school, I overheard someone talking about Papa Roach's "Last Resort," which was maybe two years old at the time, maybe even just one, and another girl "Ugh, that song is so old." And, of course, I had hit my "it has to be edgy" phase. That phase is a downward spiral into an all encompassing black hole of superficiality and unfortunately many end up forever stuck there.

I feel like it's when kids hit the teenage years that they become so picky about that stuff and I've only ever heard the words "eh, it's so dated" from teens and older.

Klunk1234
02-27-2017, 09:31 PM
On the subject of things being dated. I have been going through the classic Mighty Morphin Power Rangers series lately and while the localization is glaringly obvious to me as an adult, as a kid, I never once noticed what was even then considered to be outdated effects or the even cheesier effects produced by Saban.

It was the it-show for a while, so a lot of kids didn't care about the cheesiness or "bad effects."

Not really.

Superman: The Movie
Superman II
Superman III
Superman IV
Supergirl
Batman: The Movie
Batman '89
Swamp Thing
Return of Swamp Thing
Tales From the Crypt (the 70s movie which pre-dated the show)
Vault of Horror

All of those came before TMNT '90. Dick Tracy came out the same year.

And the trilogy of Star Wars (A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi) are also classics and beloved by this new generation.
So, Ithink the 1990 TMNT will be loved by today's kids.