PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider yourself an intellectual?

CyberCubed
08-04-2016, 02:02 PM
In today's modern society of educated youths, where more and more people are graduating College with not only BA's but Master Degrees and Doctorates, do you consider yourself an intellectual among high society?

Even though I am not well versed on any subject in particular, I still like thinking and learning about just about everything. Just to have a well-rounded background. I love to think about astronomy and space, I love history especially dating back to ancient civilizations as well as everything from the 1200's through the 1950's, etc. I have no skill in art, music or drawing, but I appreciate those fine arts when I see them.

Ignorance is the worst thing in the world. Nobody wants to be an ignorant. So do you consider yourself well aware of the world as its whole, as well as the many subjects required to become an intellectual among modern society?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-04-2016, 02:07 PM
In today's modern society of educated youths, where more and more people are graduating College with not only BA's but Master Degrees and Doctorates, do you consider yourself an intellectual among high society?

Even though I am not well versed on any subject in particular, I still like thinking and learning about just about everything. Just to have a well-rounded background. I love to think about astronomy and space, I love history especially dating back to ancient civilizations as well as everything from the 1200's through the 1950's, etc. I have no skill in art, music or drawing, but I appreciate those fine arts when I see them.

Ignorance is the worst thing in the world. Nobody wants to be an ignorant. So do you consider yourself well aware of the world as its whole, as well as the many subjects required to become an intellectual among modern society?

Nobody wants to be an ignorant, eh?

IndigoErth
08-04-2016, 02:46 PM
Well if we're talking only from the perspective of being "an intellectual among high society," then I guess I'm not going to fit that real well. I have some knowledge on various subjects, but probably not enough.

I'm no math and science wiz, I don't know everything about everything, but still enjoy learning about what interests me and am hardly any dummy... I'm still pretty bright in other ways imo. I'd like to think my own strengths can give me some measure of wisdom, which I value more than haughty intellectualism anyhow.

And how often are those who regard themselves as "intellectuals" in fact just pseudo-intellectuals? I find those sorts rather annoying, to be honest.

plastroncafe
08-04-2016, 02:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/1bbfWs1.gif?noredirect

snake
08-04-2016, 02:57 PM
Not really. I have a huge amount of useless knowledge and trivia and I love writing as well as learning new stuff, but I don't take myself seriously enough to call me an intellectual.

Prowler
08-04-2016, 03:02 PM
Being educated doesn't necessarily make you an intellectual. Many college graduates are dumb and/or ignorant about many things.

I've always liked learning despite disliking school for the most part. I'm just curious and my family always stimulated me to learn, so I guess that's why I'm the way I am. I'm naturally curious. Does that make me an intellectual? Eh, no. I'm very ignorant about advanced maths and physics. And also not so good at science as am I at humanities and similar areas. I'm not exactly a jack of all trades. But I try to be good at the things I have an easier time learning, if that counts.

We're all ignorant, and I'm no exception. Odd that you make this thread considering you seem quite ignorant of society and a whole. Then again, you're CC, so it's probably just part of your online gimmick :P

FredWolfLeonardo
08-04-2016, 03:14 PM
Not really. I have a huge amount of useless knowledge and trivia and I love writing as well as learning new stuff, but I don't take myself seriously enough to call me an intellectual.

Define "useless" knowledge, by that term do you mean knowledge that doesn't lend you a material reward?

Anyhow, I have never thought of calling myself an intellectual but my passions include Philosophy, religion, art, culture and spirituality.

Prowler
08-04-2016, 03:16 PM
Define "useless" knowledge, by that term do you mean knowledge that doesn't lend you a material reward?

Anyhow, I have never thought of calling myself an intellectual but my passions include Philosophy, religion, art, culture and spirituality.
If you bother to learn about something in the first place then it cannot be "useless" knowledge. My knowledge of certain aspects of Japanese society and culture won't help me do my job better, but that doesn't mean it's useless knowledge. I have fun learning and discussing with people about such things. I like to discover the world.

Wesley
08-04-2016, 03:24 PM
Well if we're talking only from the perspective of being "an intellectual among high society," then I guess I'm not going to fit that real well. I have some knowledge on various subjects, but probably not enough.

I'm no math and science wiz, I don't know everything about everything, but still enjoy learning about what interests me and am hardly any dummy... I'm still pretty bright in other ways imo. I'd like to think my own strengths can give me some measure of wisdom, which I value more than haughty intellectualism anyhow.

And how often are those who regard themselves as "intellectuals" in fact just pseudo-intellectuals? I find those sorts rather annoying, to be honest.

Agreed. I'm not an expert on everything either, but I still like learning about stuff that interests me such as history and one can learn from mistakes as well.

snake
08-04-2016, 03:38 PM

I can name every single Star Wars kenner action figure released. That type of useless knowledge

Cure
08-04-2016, 03:44 PM
Nah, not at all. I know **** about history or geography or science. In fact, I'm lucky most standardized testing was only math and English when I was in school. I hear now they added science or some other subjects to state exams and SAT's? Help me out here, snake.

TheSkeletonMan939
08-04-2016, 03:48 PM
I'm probably too stupid to be an intellectual even if I wanted to be.
Instead of being a Renaissance Man, I'd be totally content to just know how to interact with people, know how to speak and write intelligently, and know how to think critically.
Like snake I am a repository of strangely specific yet strangely useless knowledge, but since brains aren't like hard drives, and can hold pretty much unlimited information, it's not like my knowing every single Bionicle character impedes my learning anything else I want/need to.

The question is, does CyberCubed consider himself an intellectual?

snake
08-04-2016, 03:56 PM
Nah, not at all. I know **** about history or geography or science. In fact, I'm lucky most standardized testing was only math and English when I was in school. I hear now they added science or some other subjects to state exams and SAT's? Help me out here, snake.

Yep. I suck at standarized tests (only thing keeping me off first honors last year) mostly because of the math. Different schools get different tests.

Spike Spiegel
08-04-2016, 03:57 PM
Ignorance is the worst thing in the world. Nobody wants to be an ignorant. So do you consider yourself well aware of the world as its whole...

"Rarely is the question asked--is our children learning?"

thundermaster612
08-04-2016, 04:01 PM
"Rarely is the question asked--is our children learning?"

Throughout half of America:
NO.

thundermaster612
08-04-2016, 04:02 PM
Instead of being a Renaissance Man, I'd be totally content to just know how to interact with people, know how to speak and write intelligently, and know how to think critically.
Like snake I am a repository of strangely specific yet strangely useless knowledge, but since brains aren't like hard drives, and can hold pretty much unlimited information, it's not like my knowing every single Bionicle character impedes my learning anything else I want/need to.

Knowing some Bionicle characters actually can boost your knowledge because their names are from the Maori language so you can learn that. Like Pohatu's name I think means Stone in Maori

TheSkeletonMan939
08-04-2016, 04:03 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6f/Piehigh22.jpg

Netkeeper
08-04-2016, 05:05 PM
This

Askin' the real questions

ProactiveMan
08-04-2016, 07:40 PM
McYdg4256Jc

Jester
08-04-2016, 07:46 PM
I wouldn't think so. I occasionally have deep thoughts, but mostly just a normal dude.

CyberCubed
08-05-2016, 01:45 AM
I don't see how anyone cannot crave knowledge. Obviously you're not going to memorize stuff off the top of your head, but just to read and expose yourself to things via the internet or other places.

Just last week I started watching videos of deep sea exploration. Its amazing they say only 30% of the world underwater has been mapped. And you see all these amazing deep sea creatures that look like the most hideous things you'll ever see.

ProactiveMan
08-05-2016, 02:27 AM
...read and expose yourself to things via the internet or other places.

Be careful though - there is a lot of horse sh*t on the internet.