PDA

View Full Version : Do You Like How Mirage is Seen as "The Black and White Universe"?

Konchadunga
08-08-2016, 09:14 PM
I ask because now that we've got a scenario where fans of multiple TMNT incarnations are grown up and the Internet and IDW republications make it more visible, this comes up often enough. The differences between the Mirage series and others have become among the most talked-about things in the fandom, and so Mirage gets more attention in the broader TMNT sense than it used to. So as it happens, whether it's in the case of Playmates Toys, Turtles Forever, Transdimensional Turtles, Mega Bloks, a recurrent theme is to make the Mirage series black, white, and gray, with the occasional exception of the red masks, since they're another thing that sets Mirage apart. So do you like this?

Personally, while I can understand the cultural significance of it; not being in color was part of what made them different from more big-names in the industry like DC and Marvel, and the very name "Mirage Studios" was a joking allusion to being initially so poor that a studio didn't really exist, I can't say I like it much.

In my opinion, while there's no problem when I'm actually reading the books and it's all in black, white and grays, it just doesn't work when colorless and colored things are put together. Logically, nothing makes sense about the cartoon turtles visiting Mirage-verse and maintaining their color while nothing around them has it; that's not how light works and it calls to question how the Mirage Turtles can even see that the cartoon versions have different-colored bandanas when their eyes never needed to be able to see such colors, and from an aesthetic angle it makes what should be a revered work feel less crucial to the franchise. The same issue exists with the toys; a colorless Mirage toyline's colorlessness obviously won't look right when it's in a colored location, and because just about everyone likes to stage crossover battles between their action figures, that's another problem.

Moreover, while to some people, Mirage is all about the grassroots feeling, I'd argue an equally valid interpretation is it's the uncompromising universe; just about every version of TMNT has a Fantasy Kitchen Sink, but in Mirage's case, there's no censorship concerns to stifle the imagination. Therefor, it seems only fair that its creations get a high quality tribute in color--not necessarily cartoony colors, but the sort of colors they might be expected to have if they're real.

Still, what do you think?

Powder
08-08-2016, 09:21 PM
Despite how big I am on Mirage, it's simply not something I care to look into that much. I have liked the way it's been portrayed in the last decade, in things like Turtles Forever, Trans-Dimensional Turtles, various toy designs, & the recent Megabloks comic. It really doesn't matter to me. Mirage is Mirage, nothing done in a post Mirage era will change it or how I view it. Stylistic interpretations are just that. Just because we've gotten "official" glimpses into that world doesn't mean they're setting rules for it or anything. Much like the Krang/Kraang ties, or other multiverse media, you're free to take it or leave it.

I don't necessarily view the Mirage universe as being one that lacks color or anything, if that's what you're asking. There have been plenty of colored covers, issues, moments where it is mentioned or a part of the story, etc. I know it exists there.

ToTheNines
08-09-2016, 08:14 AM
As usual... what Powder said.

neatoman
08-09-2016, 08:35 AM
The reason why it's presented as black and white is meant to be a joke about how it's all fiction. Turtles Forever depicts the destruction of the Universes as ink disappearing from an out-line and Transdimensional is even more overt by presenting the Mirage-verse as a motion comic.

The Mirage-verse on it's own probably isn't actually black and white, the crossovers (none of which is meant to be taken that seriously) are just meta-fiction, presenting the Mirage-verse as literally black and white is just a joke, You could argue that it's weird to just have it be a joke but make no mistake, it's just a joke

Andrew NDB
08-09-2016, 11:27 AM
Since all of the Mirage comics aren't B&W, that would be a strange oversimplification. I would've been all for Mirage/Image TMNT being in full-on lush color.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-09-2016, 12:03 PM
I prefer the comics to be in black and white. It fits the story for me, and honestly, I've never really seen any good colored Mirage/Image comics. Especially the reprints by IDW, those are terrible.

But for the toys and the MegaBloks comics and the TV crossovers, it feels gimmicky. It's a good gimmick and works, but I'm getting a little tired of it.

Utrommaniac
08-09-2016, 12:37 PM
For the most part, I don't mind. There's a lot of the style that doesn't lend itself well to being in color. Once it starts getting to changing artists, then it depends on the style of that artist.

Technogeek29
08-09-2016, 02:17 PM
Despite how big I am on Mirage, it's simply not something I care to look into that much. I have liked the way it's been portrayed in the last decade, in things like Turtles Forever, Trans-Dimensional Turtles, various toy designs, & the recent Megabloks comic. It really doesn't matter to me. Mirage is Mirage, nothing done in a post Mirage era will change it or how I view it. Stylistic interpretations are just that. Just because we've gotten "official" glimpses into that world doesn't mean they're setting rules for it or anything. Much like the Krang/Kraang ties, or other multiverse media, you're free to take it or leave it.

I don't necessarily view the Mirage universe as being one that lacks color or anything, if that's what you're asking. There have been plenty of colored covers, issues, moments where it is mentioned or a part of the story, etc. I know it exists there.

As usual... what Powder said.

Same here, only thing I comment on is the fact every time they cross over into that universe it always seems to be issue 1.

oldmanwinters
08-09-2016, 02:20 PM
I think the black & white often makes for a great visual, but the idea that the whole universe exists in tones of contrast (with occasional spots of red) is just bonkers.

ToTheNines
08-10-2016, 05:25 AM
Same here, only thing I comment on is the fact every time they cross over into that universe it always seems to be issue 1.

Good point. That's officially old now lol.

Konchadunga
08-10-2016, 02:31 PM
That first-issue-only thing being brought up, I can't say I like it, either. Both times the cartoons have revisited it, the Mirage Turtles have been flanderized into cold, trigger-happy jerks, which sadly, might be inevitable. I doubt a cartoon would be able to process the idea of turtles willing to kill to avenge an ally being valid protagonists, so they just tiptoe around that point and make them cartoon-sadistic. Yes; the Mirage Turtles were out for blood in the first issue, but while their individual personalities hadn't yet developed, even there they noted they didn't want to run afoul of the law any more than they had to. They didn't rule out killing, but they had self-discipline and some sense of ethics; if gray.

myconius
08-22-2016, 11:23 AM
i personally think the Mirage comics should just be called by their given name.

Powder
08-22-2016, 05:23 PM
i personally think the Mirage comics should just be called by their given name.

They are. You're totally missing the point of this thread. Maybe read it? :tlol:

Andrew NDB
08-22-2016, 05:55 PM
I think the black & white often makes for a great visual, but the idea that the whole universe exists in tones of contrast (with occasional spots of red) is just bonkers.

Yeah, pretty weird. I mean, what, did the Mirage Turtles jump through a portal between volume 1 and 2 into a literal, alternate colorized universe? And also in the Turtle Soup books?

Dumb, dumb, dumb. I didn't mind it in "Turtles Forever" because that was "Turtles Forever," but as an actual thing? Beyond dumb.

myconius
08-31-2016, 09:04 PM
They are. You're totally missing the point of this thread. Maybe read it? :tlol:

that's not what the person that started the thread seems to think.

btw.. maybe try to be less snarky once in a while? you'll be a better person for it. :D

Powder
08-31-2016, 09:30 PM
that's not what the person that started the thread seems to think.

btw.. maybe try to be less snarky once in a while? you'll be a better person for it. :D

No, it's not. He's saying that Mirage, in the context of other animated TMNT series', is viewed as a universe that lacks color. He's asking our opinion of that.

Attitude does not necessarily define a man's merit. Some of the most charitable people on earth are assholes. & don't forget, I called out a guy who stole your art on Instagram numerous times last year & I don't even know you. I'm good enough.

Konchadunga
10-18-2016, 01:15 AM
Well when did this become a discussion of my attitude or merit?

Actually now that I think of it, I don't recall any character in either TF or TDT calling the Mirage universe such or calling it black and white. In the former it was "Turtle Prime", but the latter I don't recall naming it anything. It's just how it's visually depicted as being, which toys have picked up and run with.

Powder
10-18-2016, 01:29 AM
Well when did this become a discussion of my attitude or merit?

At no point whatsoever. He was talking about me.

oldmanwinters
10-18-2016, 07:21 AM
Yeah, pretty weird. I mean, what, did the Mirage Turtles jump through a portal between volume 1 and 2 into a literal, alternate colorized universe? And also in the Turtle Soup books?

Dumb, dumb, dumb. I didn't mind it in "Turtles Forever" because that was "Turtles Forever," but as an actual thing? Beyond dumb.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/adamwinters/CalvinHobbesBlackWhite_zpsiuv12kxn.gif (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/adamwinters/media/CalvinHobbesBlackWhite_zpsiuv12kxn.gif.html)
:lol:

Konchadunga
10-18-2016, 01:58 PM
Oh man, I used to want to punch Calvin's dad's glasses into his eyes so much!