PDA

View Full Version : Official Episode Discussion S4 Ep 15: City At War

Vicky82
08-14-2016, 02:09 AM
https://66.media.tumblr.com/93336e629752f2d84884b90c85f84971/tumblr_ob0ne3eQT41uuxhjio1_540.jpg

April faces a deadly, new enemy when she graduates to full Kunoichi; the Turtles must deal with the return of some old foes.

Yay we are back after a long hiatus.

The Turtles are back and back in New York, Karai returns and she has a new friend Shinigami.

The Episode is up on I Tunes.

Redworld96
08-14-2016, 03:54 AM
Watched it. It's the first episode of season 4 I have really enjoyed from the beginning to the end.

-Karai's finally back! That's all we need :lol:
-Shinigami is clearly an interesting character. I hope we're going to see her often.
- So Shredder was really injured. And man that ending ..... hype!
- I will talk about "Dark April" once the episode airs on Nick

Vicky82
08-14-2016, 04:00 AM
Holy **** that was awesome.

Shinigami is awesome
Loved the fights in this episode especially the 1 on 1 fights.
ICK is cute as always
The Dragons tail :lol:
April isn't as powerful yet as she couldn't beat Shinigami. Also Raph said there are 7 more grades to do.
Shredder and his henchman have abandoned the old lair and in a new lair outside the city, which is a nice house.
Super Shredder is coming.

JH24
08-14-2016, 04:06 AM
^ It's great to hear you both enjoyed the episode. Makes me excited for it.

I'm beginning to realize now how much I've missed this series. The Space Arc certainly had some good episodes, but I'm just glad we're back in New York.

The_Walkman
08-14-2016, 04:21 AM
YES!!! Awesome!! Hyped you dawgs enjoyed it.

GONNA be watching it all day 2morrows :tgrin::tcool::tlol:

Vicky82
08-14-2016, 04:31 AM
Shredder pics, i'll put under spoilers.

https://67.media.tumblr.com/21f51b9f9980836e194052c1a507dd80/tumblr_obw5vnR3Cd1rj6kxdo1_540.jpg

https://66.media.tumblr.com/d6620536494b55a2cb0c35ea79395eee/tumblr_obw5vnR3Cd1rj6kxdo3_400.jpg

https://66.media.tumblr.com/366e5d6a9ed13c43b1e23e33f0195444/tumblr_obw5vnR3Cd1rj6kxdo5_400.jpg

https://67.media.tumblr.com/912cdfb97d72c5e2acc308c8688d51f3/tumblr_obw5vnR3Cd1rj6kxdo6_400.jpg

https://67.media.tumblr.com/5201c29153f4c827a998464ff286b9ed/tumblr_obw5vnR3Cd1rj6kxdo7_540.jpg

Fang Wolf
08-14-2016, 05:09 AM
Shredder pics, i'll put under spoilers.

https://67.media.tumblr.com/21f51b9f9980836e194052c1a507dd80/tumblr_obw5vnR3Cd1rj6kxdo1_540.jpg

https://66.media.tumblr.com/d6620536494b55a2cb0c35ea79395eee/tumblr_obw5vnR3Cd1rj6kxdo3_400.jpg

https://66.media.tumblr.com/366e5d6a9ed13c43b1e23e33f0195444/tumblr_obw5vnR3Cd1rj6kxdo5_400.jpg

https://67.media.tumblr.com/912cdfb97d72c5e2acc308c8688d51f3/tumblr_obw5vnR3Cd1rj6kxdo6_400.jpg

https://67.media.tumblr.com/5201c29153f4c827a998464ff286b9ed/tumblr_obw5vnR3Cd1rj6kxdo7_540.jpg

Yeah, Shredder is back. :tlove:
That was good EP :tsmile:

Powder
08-14-2016, 06:38 AM
This one just did not do it for me. How are you gonna name an episode after arguably the greatest TMNT story ever told & have it focus on her many abilities & insecurities? I realize it's an homage in name only, but c'mon, save that for something else. April is straight up OP. I'm glad Raph had something to say about it, at least. I've really come to dislike the liberties this show sometimes takes with respect to X kicking Y's ass for the sake of plot convenience. April besting Tigerclaw, Shinigami besting all 4 turtles & April, just generally turning villains into pushovers (& super goofy ones, at that), etc. Some of it can be explained away or even justified but in this case it felt forced. Splinter's secret technique is a kick to the groin? :blanksta: "Right in the fur-pouch!" was pretty funny, anyway. Shredder is that badly messed up from Splinter's frenzy in the last episode? I re-watched the fight, it's not one I'd have expected Saki to be in critical condition over, let alone requiring mutagen to get better/live. Their temporary housing is cool, very familiar. Can't place it just yet.

It did bring some interesting things to the table, such as Shinigami (whose design I love, I am curious to see what she does), Karai trying to take lead of The Foot Clan, & the potential for more interaction between her & Splinter. I enjoyed seeing the return of ICK & Cheesicles, too. I dunno, maybe this had some hype to live up to, in my mind, after the long ass hiatus & infamous episode title, & it didn't quite meet the mark. I guess I can expect at least a little more of the same, considering the opening revealed that the Elite Guard I was so excited to see, are robots. :tsad: Oh well, just glad it's back. Can't wait to see what comes as a result of Shredder's absence.

The_Walkman
08-14-2016, 06:41 AM
YO POWDA. I DonT GET IT?

STOP WHINING ABOUT THE TV SHOW. THEY PUT WORK INTO IT, UNLIKE YOU AND YO LYFE BOI.

ELITE GUARD ROBOTS ARE OFF DA CHAIN. CANT WAIT TO SEE THEM IN ACTION. BETTER THAN BEING HUMAN TRASH BAGS

Vicky82
08-14-2016, 06:52 AM
I can understand were Powder was coming from, it seemed like the wrong title for this episode but it does looks like it's the start of the City At War arc, with episodes coming up like Broken Foot and Mutant Gangland. Also with things said in this episode that gangs and the super villains moving in on Shredders turf and Leo saying things will get worse and Karia said she's going to claim this city as well.

Fang Wolf
08-14-2016, 06:55 AM
Can't wait to see what comes as a result of Shredder's absence.

Same here...:P
Come he be Super Shredder now? :o

Powder
08-14-2016, 07:00 AM
I feel like it'll probably be a few episodes before they reveal his newly mutated form, but who knows. I'm surprised they went into that (albeit briefly) right away. Figured it'd be something saved for the finale, if not closer to it.

NinjaMan
08-14-2016, 10:38 AM
Quick question for you guys, since they appear to be going the super shredder route is this the final season for the character? Really surprised they are doing this he was already powerful as it was. Ok episode didn't care for the focus on April and not a fan of the new villain girl.

Vicky82
08-14-2016, 10:41 AM
Quick question for you guys, since they appear to be going the super shredder route is this the final season for the character? Really surprised they are doing this he was already powerful as it was. Ok episode didn't care for the focus on April and not a fan of the new villain girl.

I think Super Shredder will reveal himself a few episodes before the season final, maybe the 100th episode.

ToTheNines
08-14-2016, 10:42 AM
Man, I really missed the show. It was gone too long.

But yeah, a lot of what Powder said. Mainly, why even call it City at War? It wasn't an offensive halfass adaption like the 4kids version, but it was just a waste of the namesake.

Shinigami was very cool. She looks like a Sophie Campbell drawing, and Yeo is a great VA for her.

Also very confused by Shredder's condition... I thought Splinter just nailed him in a couple of pressure points and pieced him up. Did we miss an episode? :P

Last gripe... Xever needs to go. He's making Dos Equis guy jokes and perving on April. The writers just need to sweep him under the rug if it's come to this.

Glad the show is back, let's hope it runs straight into season 5.

EDIT: Yeah Powder, that new foot hideout is a reference to another show/movie. But I'm currently blanking on it.

ObiWanFan4life
08-14-2016, 10:44 AM

But yeah, a lot of what Powder said. Mainly, why even call it City at War? It wasn't an offensive halfass adaption like the 4kids version, but it was just a waste of the namesake.

Shinigami was very cool. She looks like a Sophie Campbell drawing, and Yeo is a great VA for her.

Also very confused by Shredder's condition... I thought Splinter just nailed him in a couple of pressure points and pieced him up. Did we miss an episode? :P

Last gripe... Xever needs to go. He's making Dos Equis guy jokes and perving on April. The writers just need to sweep him under the rug if it's come to this.

Same here. Although I think I enjoyed it more than you.

GoldMutant
08-14-2016, 10:47 AM
Wow... just wow, I don't know if I should be angry, happy, or just fed up. So many emotions of positive and negative, but for the first time in ages, time to talk Nick Turtles.

First up, the good: the fight scenes, especially April vs Shinigami, were really good. Frantic and chaotic, something I feel that was missing from the space arc.

Outside the action though, there's really not too much I can say was great. The interaction between the team was cute prior to Shinigami's entrance in addition to April hugging Splinter, there was slight foreshadowing with the city's great criminals in competition, and if anything else the direction of Karai is decent. Finally, Karai gets an actual story... after nearly two seasons of near nothing.

As for negatives, in my opinion it feels with so much plot progression, it's trying to be better than the space arc. Unfortunately, though it's certainly better than the majority of said arc, it relies heavily on plot convenience from Earth's Last Stand and retreading previous plots to say "Hey, you remember this?" Material like that annoys me, and nowhere is that more apparent than April now a kunoichi and Shredder on the death bed.

Discussing April is one of the most difficult topics of the Nick series to me, some welcome the changes, some don't. Even with Raph's remark of higher levels, I have to agree with Powder: April is borderline OP. Despite my mention of the fight with Shinigami, it feels that April's abilities vary in quality, there's no actual limit. Now for her to kick Tiger Claw in the groin (seriously Splinter?) and beat him... what? Even with April having control somewhat over her psychic abilities, why is she a kunoichi when it's barely been mentioned ever since Kraang Conspiracy? (if there's a more recent mention, correct me)

As for Shredder, the only reason I buy his injuries is Splinter's technique hitting several vital organs. Otherwise, it is literally forced.

Overall, it's certainly not City at War as of this time, it just feels like a name drop to get in an audience. The episode just feels there for me, not bad, not good but more mixed than anything. It's a good open to returning to New York, but even with new concepts it feels like the old is taking a step back. About a 6/10 or a 6.5 at best for me.

Also, Shinigami's cool, just not a fan of the witch hat and wish she had more to do. Maybe next time.

ToTheNines
08-14-2016, 10:47 AM
@obiwanfan I did enjoy it. The fights were great, and I was happy to have Splinter, Karai and ICK back. And April's tessen/tanto combo makes for a cool visual.

Also really loved the wide-screen before the theme song. I wish the whole series looked like that.

NinjaMan
08-14-2016, 10:50 AM
I think Super Shredder will reveal himself a few episodes before the season final, maybe the 100th episode.

But is this his last season?

GoldMutant
08-14-2016, 10:53 AM
But is this his last season?

Not confirmed right now mate; if I recall, at one of the panels this year (maybe it was last year), Kevin Michael Richardson mentioned Shredder's character having a greater role. My memories are a bit foggy though, but it was somewhere around those lines.

cryan
08-14-2016, 10:58 AM
I loved it as well.

The Happy One
08-14-2016, 11:13 AM
I did like it...but, yeah April...

It seems like they're at a standstill with how to handle her just right. One scene she gets beat down, other scenes she's very op.

I think they could have taken their time to get things started. I feel like we just...jumped in.

Maybe it's just me, but I would've loved to ease my way into this.

And like Powder, GoldMutant and Vicky said this wasn't City at War. They only mentioned a possibility of a gang war but it had little to no homage to the City at War comic arc.

Still, I did enjoy Shini! She really caught my attention the first second she appeared.

Huzzah
08-14-2016, 11:30 AM
I'm hoping future iterations of TMNT realize that April is superfluous to the plot after her earliest introduction as the initial link to the human world. After that she should just be relegated to an occasional appearance, similarly Casey Jones. Both of those characters eventually become a pain to watch when they're forced into appearances. They become the Yamcha or Bulma of the TMNT Universe. Characters who start important but are eventually overshadowed by characters that outrank them in every form. Use them in the beginning, demote them to extras after newer allies come in.

TMNTInsighter
08-14-2016, 11:42 AM
It is so good to review an episode again. A 111 day wait is unacceptable.
Anyhow, I give this a B (4 out of 5)

The second half of this season wastes no time jumping into what lies ahead for New York now that the space travels are over (though not exactly concluded; note Sal, Mona, Dregg, Newtralizer, even Bishop during the opening titles). After a very quick and artful opening--mostly because of the Japanese dialogue--we jump right into the war that Karai is planning. As a matter of fact, this episode sets up Karai--not April--as the more interesting character not only in this episode (despite April's final heroics) but perhaps the most key character to this season, setting up a lot of potential. But more on that soon.

To get the most obvious out of the way, a lot is attempted in establishing April's attempts at living up to her new title as well as the capabilities and demeanor of Shinigami in addition to Karai's first stage of weakening what's left of Shredder's hold on the city. So much is attempted in fact that small but significant matters such as heartfelt reunions and dynamics are whisked over.

Now that that's out of the way, let's take a look at Karai, whose actions in trying to take over the Foot make a lot of sense (despite the hesitation from those she loves). Saki felt that the Hamato clan lied to and stole him from his rightful heritage all those years ago so he hurt them back. Years later, he does the same with Karai and she yearns to inflict upon him those same consequences. The child turning on her parents (in most cases the father) is a tale told time and time again and though Karai is in fact Yoshi's daughter, he wisely points out that she is most connected to Saki.

Yoshi and the turtles however act as the pieces of a melodramatic farrago towards Karai's ambitions. All credit to them for wishing for Karai's wellbeing but she also has a point. Her search for renewal within the Foot Clan goes beyond palliatives and more towards a cure for both the city and those she loves. After all, with her in charge, hostilities towards her family could cease, she would help to ensure her real father's wellbeing, perhaps even find a way to control the crime level in the city. Additionally, she has shown that this is not a straightforward, hasty assassination attempt but a meticulously thought out step by step process. She's even bringing allies into her circle since she has the wisdom from experience that she can't do this alone.

kelligrafie
08-14-2016, 11:45 AM
Was that a Hannibal Lecter reference we got from Splinter when he's nibbling on his cheesicle?

Maybe the reason Shredder's so messed up is because his old friend ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti. :lol:

TMNTInsighter
08-14-2016, 11:59 AM
Karley's review on tumblr--hey she deserves some recognition here. After all, she is better than Max: http://all-things-tmnt.tumblr.com/post/148934765362/thoughts-on-city-at-war

Ashwolf
08-14-2016, 12:07 PM
liked the fight scenes in it but didnt care much 4 the ep otherwise

shinigami does seem like a interesting character, she had some pretty wicked sweet moments, think i like her almost as much as i like karai

TMNTInsighter
08-14-2016, 12:21 PM
A couple of points left out from my review include Shinigami reminding me a lot of Gogo from "Kill Bill" in her fight with Tiger Claw. It shows that even though she didn't win, she's not someone to be underestimated and I really liked that.

There's also Leo's talk with April about doubt being poison. Even though it sounds difficult to believe that he'll follow that advice, he still knows that it's one of his flaws and just like anyone else, he wouldn't want his own flaws to affect someone else whom he cares for.

Ninjinister
08-14-2016, 12:24 PM
Karley's review on tumblr--hey she deserves some recognition here. After all, she is better than Max: http://all-things-tmnt.tumblr.com/post/148934765362/thoughts-on-city-at-war

Who? And also who?

thundermaster612
08-14-2016, 12:33 PM
What happened to Shredder? When Splinter beat him up he didn't cause him to have his face in bandages unless I'm forgetting something. Also was he injected with mutagen at the end? that blue stuff kinda didn't look like it but it could've been.

Vicky82
08-14-2016, 12:34 PM
Who? And also who?

She's just a fan but her TMNT reviews are good.

What happened to Shredder? When Splinter beat him up he didn't cause him to have his face in bandages unless I'm forgetting something. Also was he injected with mutagen at the end? that blue stuff kinda didn't look like it but it could've been.

Splinter must have done some real damage to Shredder in there fight in Earth's Last Stand. That was mutagen, Baxter must have done something to it to make sure Shredder turns into Super Shredder and not turn into a blob.

tmntsplinterfan1997
08-14-2016, 12:40 PM
You know the episode is great with Shinigami.

And I was wondering about the ending. You know the foreshadowing of Super Shredder.

oldmanwinters
08-14-2016, 12:52 PM
April is the Gohan equivalent of this show. One minute getting slapped around and moping about it... the next moment "you won't like me when I'm angry!!!"

kelligrafie
08-14-2016, 12:57 PM
Good
Shinigami looks like such a cool character. I've been looking forward to seeing her since the panel at SDCC. I didn't feel let down. Although it seems like, she's under Karai as a leader for now, but could go rogue against her friend in the future. She has that vibe about her, which could generate some good stories. Gwendoline Yeo is so enthusiastic about this role.

Tiger Claw was on form for me as always. I just love the big guy. He's one of the few that can provide action AND humour and even though some of it is slapstick-esque, it's not cringeworthy. He's a great enemy because the fights between him and the turtles are quite balanced overall. He feels menacing, you know that he could very well take them down. Whereas the other henchmen all start off being dastardly and then descend into being incompetent fools, Tiger Claw is still a worthy adversary.

Yes to Karai back after being missing for so long now. People have been complaining for so long about the lack of female characters in this show, so now she's returned and brought Shini along, I think the team are addressing the balance. I also like how she still has her mutation but can also opt to just be 'human' Karai. Plus Kelly Hu is such a boss.

Also great to have Splinter back. The bond that he and April have is incredibly sweet.

The moment with Leo, Splinter and April drinking tea and talking. It's not just another scene with Splinter dishing out the sage advice, it's Leo as well, using his own experience to try and help April.

Shredder's new hideout looks pretty cool even though we only see a little bit of it.

Fish Face being unable to see in the dark. ROFL.

The dragon's 'tail'. I don't care if it's immature. There will always be something funny to me about a guy getting one in the nuts.

April's ceremony taking place on full moon... when it's always full moon in this series.

Do I sense that we may get a Jean Grey/Phoenix style storyline with April?

Not sure if good or bad
THAT Chris Bradford show. It's so cringe. But fairplay for the accuracy of the send up.

Bad
April's abilities.

I don't think she's a bad character. There is clearly so much potential. I think the problem is the lack of consistency with her ninjitsu and psychic abilities. I can swallow her becoming a kunoich in four years. Yes the turtles took a lot longer but then again they started when they were young children. If you take people with average abilities and one is 5 and the other 15, the 15 year old will learn a skill much quicker. I also don't mind the notion of her being psychic, it's just handled really clumsily. The team will be in an unwinnable situation and then suddenly her psychic powers, which won't have been seen or mentioned for half a season, suddenly come out of nowhere and save the day. You can attribute some of the consistency issues with the show having several different writers, and the running order of episodes in a season changing around, but not all of them. You should still get a fairly steady increase in development, but here it's either all or nothing. And it's really causing people to not like her, which isn't fair.

oldmanwinters
08-14-2016, 01:01 PM
That was amazing when Karai went snake on Tigerclaw. Too bad it wasn't entirely effective. Guess she should have just kicked him in the groin.

TurtleTitan97
08-14-2016, 01:15 PM
I enjoyed the episode. Shingami was a great character. Also looking forward to Dark April and Super Shredder.

`NightWatcher
08-14-2016, 01:37 PM
This was a solidly epic return for Nick's TMNT. I'd give it a 9/10 if I wrote a review. For those saying they should not have used the title "City at War," the producers used this name to mark the beginning of what's expected to be the next huge TMNT 2012 arc. With that said, this episode served as an introduction, and the next few episodes will really showcase a "City at War" (Don Visio, Stockman and his insects, Tiger Claw, the purple dragons, etc.).

The fight scenes were great, Shinigami was a great new addition, and it'll be very interesting to see how Auman and company continue this storyline. As for the Shredder, if you honestly believe that Splinter inflicted that mass amount of damage onto him, you're crazy. I believe that Stockman did multiple experiments on the Shredder post-Earth's Last Stand, and judging Saki's condition, not all of them went well. However, Stockman just seemed to perfect his Mutagen Steroids, and he fed it to the Shredder during this episode's end. Shredder will eventually reemerge, juiced to the eyeball, and he'll have his way with the Turtles. Why would Shredder do this if he was already dominant and able to beat the Turtles? Simple - Master Splinter (I mean, did you see what he did to him last episode?)

All in all, this episode was a superb entry, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out. Next week: The Broken Foot!

P.S.

How was April OP? She lost to Shinigami (twice). Fishface got the better of her. And she only "defeated" Tiger Claw after throwing smoke in his face, and nailing him with a low blow. Not sure how that's OP.

victory_angel
08-14-2016, 01:37 PM
I can't place where the Shredder's new lair is in the TMNT universe. But it kinda looked like Falling Water by Frank Lloyd Wright.

http://www.fallingwater.org/img/home_assets/new_first.jpg

Autbot_Benz
08-14-2016, 01:39 PM
I was wondering if with this version of Super Shredder they are going the route of bane, where Shredder clicks a button on his arm and the mutagen makes grow massive and super muscular.

matteso586
08-14-2016, 01:43 PM
Even after two seasons, Tiger Claw is still a bada** crafty genius. He even quickly noticed that Karai called for help.

Shinigami being an old friend from Japan, makes me want to see a flashback of Karai's childhood.

If Within the Woods taught us anything, mutagenic medicine i not going to end well.

Wish I could see that new intro in slow motion. So I could easily identify who's in the "good guys win, the bad guys lose" part.

Zatoichi
08-14-2016, 01:45 PM
Finally the new episodes started, and it's off to a good start. Shinigami is an interesting new character, can't wait to see wait she does in the rest of the season. Tiger Claw is always great to see on screen, glad to see he is still a formidable opponent to the turtles. But damn, he needs to start wearing a protective cup since everyone keeps taking low shots at him. XD

`NightWatcher
08-14-2016, 01:48 PM
Even after two seasons, Tiger Claw is still a bada** crafty genius. He even quickly noticed that Karai called for help.

Agreed. Tiger Claw is boss.

CyberCubed
08-14-2016, 01:53 PM
So the Karai subplot was resolved, and this is what people were complaining about? Literally in 5 seconds we discover she's back to normal, she respects Splinter, she hates Shredder, and she has her mutation under control. See? No plot amnesia. So I wish people would stop making up their bizarre conspiracy theories over things being dropped.

I also completely forgot what happened to Shredder last time, so I had no idea he was in critical condition. Seriously, what happened? I like that he's with all 6 of his mutant henchmen. Shinigami is cool so far.

So I guess the writers won't be searching for a "cure" for Karai's mutation anymore, unless she specifically asks for it. Its not something she really needs.

drgon78
08-14-2016, 01:54 PM
I saw the last 10 minutes of the episode, liked what I saw.

Question, how did Shredder end up so badly injured?

Vicky82
08-14-2016, 01:59 PM
So the Karai subplot was resolved, and this is what people were complaining about? Literally in 5 seconds we discover she's back to normal, she respects Splinter, she hates Shredder, and she has her mutation under control. See? No plot amnesia. So I wish people would stop making up their bizarre conspiracy theories over things being dropped.

I also completely forgot what happened to Shredder last time, so I had no idea he was in critical condition. Seriously, what happened? I like that he's with all 6 of his mutant henchmen. Shinigami is cool so far.

So I guess the writers won't be searching for a "cure" for Karai's mutation anymore, unless she specifically asks for it. Its not something she really needs.

I saw the last 10 minutes of the episode, liked what I saw.

Question, how did Shredder end up so badly injured?

In Earth's Last Stand, Splinter and Shredder ended up fighting because Shredder nearly killed him. It ended up Splinter taking out Shredder and some of those moves Splinter did must have badly injured Shredder.

LeotheLateBloomer
08-14-2016, 02:03 PM
It's not that I didn't enjoy the episode but I share what pretty much the others are saying. Other than Karai wanting to rebuild the foot clan, this episode had nothing to do with the title it's suppose to be based on and to me, that's a huge deal since it was among my favorite of the Mirage comics.

April is becoming to powerful. I don't think she needs to be both a kunoichi and Jean Grey at the same time. Honestly, her powers do little to make her stand out not only from her friends but from other versions of the character.

I just can't buy the critical condition Shredder was put in by Splinter. Especially going off of their other battles where they did a lot more damage to each other than their last.

On the plus side, I really enjoyed Shinigami!

xenopokemon
08-14-2016, 02:08 PM
I enjoyed this episode very much. Not perfect, no, but enjoyable. The fight scenes were on point, loved Fishface :lol:. Shredder should not be in that kind of condition but whatever.. And can someone briefly explain to me what City At War is outside of the Nick cartoon? I'll allow some minor spoilers but nothing too big. Thanks.

GoldMutant
08-14-2016, 02:13 PM
And can someone briefly explain to me what City At War is outside of the Nick cartoon? I'll allow some minor spoilers but nothing too big. Thanks.

The general gist is this dude: City at War is, if I remember correctly, one of, if not the longest story arc in the TMNT lore consisting of 13 parts in the Mirage Universe and serves as the finale to Volume 1. It has the distinction of introducing Karai into the franchise (unless you either played Tournament Fighters or watched 2k3 first that is). Story is Karai goes down to New York and wants to restore order to the Foot Clan as the Foot Elite and several other factions wage war. Coming down from Japan, Karai and the Turtles team up to end the chaos with Karai offering a truce of the Foot staying out of the Turtles' lives if they help her.

Anything else I'd say is spoilers but in a nutshell, it's a coming of age story which fully fleshes out the group. There's also a subplot with Splinter as well as April and Casey. You'd have to read it for yourself. :)

It was also done in 2k3 in the second season, but it was watered down and changed due to the story of that series.

victory_angel
08-14-2016, 02:15 PM
In Earth's Last Stand, Splinter and Shredder ended up fighting because Shredder nearly killed him. It ended up Splinter taking out Shredder and some of those moves Splinter did must have badly injured Shredder.

Splinter does use pressure points more often than attacking with weaponry. They can vary depending on location in the body and the force in which they are struck from simply disabling a person for a few moments to paralyzing a person permanently, putting them in a coma, or even killing them.

xenopokemon
08-14-2016, 02:17 PM
The general gist is this dude: City at War is, if I remember correctly, the longest story arc of the TMNT lore, 13 parts in the Mirage Universe which ends Volume 1. It also has the distinction of introducing Karai into the series (unless you either played Tournament Fighters or watched 2k3 first that is). Story is Karai goes down to New York and wants to make a truce with the Turtles if they help eliminate the Foot Elite, so she can restore order to the Foot Clan.

Anything else I'd say is spoilers but in a nutshell, it's a coming of age story which fully fleshes out the group. There's also a subplot with Splinter as well as April and Casey. You'd have to read it for yourself. :)

It was also done in 2k3 in the second season, but it was watered down and changed due to the story of that series.

Thank you. I'll see if I can find it locally, it sounds pretty interesting.

CyberCubed
08-14-2016, 02:19 PM
Thank you. I'll see if I can find it locally, it sounds pretty interesting.

IDW released collections of City at War. Pick up Ultimate Collections 4 and 5 from IDW, those collect all 13 issues.

Brandwin
08-14-2016, 02:26 PM
When can this episode be watched on Nickelodeon website? Dropped cable, but got a Roku and friends cable logon, so just curious when I will be able to watch. Thanks.

JH24
08-14-2016, 02:29 PM
I really enjoyed this one. The fight scenes were great and I like how we now know were Karai stands. She respects Splinter, she respects the turtles and April. I found it a nice touch karai apologized to her at the end.

Vicky82
08-14-2016, 02:31 PM
Andre City at War Review

2Rz1AuMC4DI

Still waiting on Max IGN review but he did tweet he loved it.

Max Nicholson ‏@Max_Nicholson 39m
LOVED all the girl power on this week's #TMNT: April's new look/moves, Karai's return and @GwendolineYeo as Shinigami. Also, THAT ending!

xenopokemon
08-14-2016, 02:32 PM
IDW released collections of City at War. Pick up Ultimate Collections 4 and 5 from IDW, those collect all 13 issues.

Can I read JUST those two books and still understand it? I have not read any of the comics.

GoldMutant
08-14-2016, 02:35 PM
Can I read JUST those two books and still understand it? I have not read any of the comics.

If Cube mentions it containing all the issues, you should have no problem reading the arc. :)

The only story I'd say you need to read before it is Return to New York, it concerns the Turtles' final encounter with Shredder and might help clarify details. (The origin story you can find on Turtlepedia)

neatoman
08-14-2016, 02:35 PM
I just watched the episode... So basically April is becoming evil? Kirby should have paid more attention to who he was letting his daughter hang out with, clearly green people are a bad influence.

CyberCubed
08-14-2016, 02:39 PM

More or less. All you need to know is Shredder is dead and the Foot Clan are in disarray.

Rat King also makes an appearance in that story arc, but if you're already familiar with him in other TMNT incarnations you should be OK.

victory_angel
08-14-2016, 02:41 PM
I just watched the episode... So basically April is becoming evil? Kirby should have paid more attention to who he was letting his daughter hang out with, clearly green people are a bad influence.

More like the Crystal she's wearing around her neck.

pannoni1
08-14-2016, 03:10 PM
This was definitely worth the wait, even though I've started to focus myself on other things meaning that there's so much for me to catch up on. I do agree that this is just the beginning of a true arc that will certainly have the potential to fulfill the tradition of a classic Clan vs. Clan saga, right up to the climax when Shredder's new rendition is determined. I also concur that April being a Kunoichi member clearly shows that she still is the youngest of any incarnation (presumably 19-20 at this point), We're now at a point where anything can happen thanks to the three women and what happens to Shredder. Still room for some great references, even if the action felt a bit dull.

Show grade: 8/10

TigerClaw
08-14-2016, 03:12 PM
Finally watched it since my Tivo recorded it, thought it was a pretty good episode, it wasn't an exact adaption of City at War, but I thought Shinigami was a cool character, and looks like Mikey has a thing for her, so now Mikey has two women he's fallen for.

who knew that the Dragon's Tail move was.
a kick between the legs, TigerClaw never saw that coming.

shredder orokusaki
08-14-2016, 03:36 PM
So this foolish little girl took control of my old lair! But not for long! Tigerclaw with tear her apart! SHE WILL PAY FOR WHAT SHE DID TO ME! MUHAHAHAHHAHAHA

neatoman
08-14-2016, 03:55 PM
So did April use the Dragon's Tail incorrectly or is the technique reallt just a kick in the balls? Because it would be hilarious if that was the case.

TigerClaw
08-14-2016, 04:02 PM
So did April use the Dragon's Tail incorrectly or is the technique reallt just a kick in the balls? Because it would be hilarious if that was the case.
Yep, it's gotta be a kick between the nuts, even Donnie states that it is.

http://i.imgur.com/zBCFCmV.gif

Zatoichi
08-14-2016, 04:08 PM
Yeah, that is the 2nd or 3rd time that has happened to poor Tiger Claw. He should really wear a cup. :lol:

TigerClaw
08-14-2016, 04:12 PM
Donnie says "The Dragon tail! Right in the fur patch!"

Aaronardo
08-14-2016, 04:27 PM
Aaaaaaagh. Everyone (well, basically Powder) beat me to it. Yeah this episode was definitely more solid than most of the space arc, however that's not saying much. The episode was on the right track with the interactions between the Turtles, Splinter, and April at the beginning. But then clashing plot points happened. This episode was so confused as to what it wanted to be, it barely used any plot from the arc it's literally named after.

And yeah, Shredder's beatdown wasn't THAT bad. He was literally kicked a bunch of times in the air in Showdown and chomped up by a mutant alligator in The Invasion and emerged with no problems, but punched couple of times by Splinter? He's on life support. Consistency, please.

One of the best episodes of season 4 so far. And that's just pathetic.

(Also idk about you guys, but the villain's hideout reminded me of the house Cap and Black Panther are in in the mid-credits scene of Civil War)

CyberCubed
08-14-2016, 04:35 PM
One of the best episodes of season 4 so far. And that's just pathetic.
)

Season 4 has been almost consistently good, so I don't see the problem.

GoldMutant
08-14-2016, 04:48 PM
Season 4 has been almost consistently good for me, so I don't see the problem.

Fixed that for you.

neatoman
08-14-2016, 05:08 PM
First Hun throwing the puck at Casey and now the Dragon's Tail, does it state in Bauza's contract that every character he plays needs to be part of at least one nutshot joke?

FredWolfLeonardo
08-14-2016, 05:10 PM
First Hun throwing the puck at Casey and now the Dragon's Tail, does it state in Bauza's contract that every character he plays needs to be part of at least one nutshot joke?

Best post in the entire thread. I laughed hard for a solid 2 minutes.

But if thats the case irl, i wouldnt be surprised.

Electric
08-14-2016, 07:35 PM
Season 4 has been almost consistently good, so I don't see the problem.

Fixed that for you.

Thank you Gold.

Season 4 has been a let down for me so far, simply because I tend to not like when the turtles get away from the basics (New York, Ninjas, Kraang)
The space arc felt very rushed, messy and to me not that enjoyable. Less focus on characters, more focus on introducing new worlds and new characters every episode. was it bad, nah, but not for me.

Cubed should still be banned

TMNTInsighter
08-14-2016, 08:24 PM
Excuse me? It's GM who needs to be banned for "fixing" posts if nothing else.

GoldMutant
08-14-2016, 08:39 PM

Seems we've been acquainted before, but I'll handshake you if we need a reintroduction. :P Name's GoldMutant/GM, the continuous critic of the Nick section in recent months.... (enough small talk)

Though a joke on my part, Insighter you've never dealt with Cube. All I did was throw one remark in, no harm no foul. Cube though... let's just say majority of what he does is a pain in the butt. It's generalizations like the one I corrected where I scratch my head, they sound more of fact than anything. There's your reasoning, now back to the episode.

I can't believe I missed this in my previous thoughts, am I the only one that really liked Xever's "interesting fish in the world" line? I know it's a bit creepy for him to do that and derides Xever, but it got a big laugh out of me. :lol:

oldmanwinters
08-14-2016, 08:42 PM
This one just did not do it for me. How are you gonna name an episode after arguably the greatest TMNT story ever told & have it focus on her many abilities & insecurities? I realize it's an homage in name only, but c'mon, save that for something else. April is straight up OP. I'm glad Raph had something to say about it, at least. I've really come to dislike the liberties this show sometimes takes with respect to X kicking Y's ass for the sake of plot convenience. April besting Tigerclaw, Shinigami besting all 4 turtles & April, just generally turning villains into pushovers (& super goofy ones, at that), etc. Some of it can be explained away or even justified but in this case it felt forced. Splinter's secret technique is a kick to the groin? :blanksta: "Right in the fur-pouch!" was pretty funny, anyway. Shredder is that badly messed up from Splinter's frenzy in the last episode? I re-watched the fight, it's not one I'd have expected Saki to be in critical condition over, let alone requiring mutagen to get better/live. Their temporary housing is cool, very familiar. Can't place it just yet.

It did bring some interesting things to the table, such as Shinigami (whose design I love, I am curious to see what she does), Karai trying to take lead of The Foot Clan, & the potential for more interaction between her & Splinter. I enjoyed seeing the return of ICK & Cheesicles, too. I dunno, maybe this had some hype to live up to, in my mind, after the long ass hiatus & infamous episode title, & it didn't quite meet the mark. I guess I can expect at least a little more of the same, considering the opening revealed that the Elite Guard I was so excited to see, are robots. :tsad: Oh well, just glad it's back. Can't wait to see what comes as a result of Shredder's absence.

I really like this episode, but I agree with Powder that it seemed a waste to use the "City at War" title on this one ep. However, I have a feeling the rest of the season will be City at War themed, so I'm not too disappointed. I'll even predict that the next DVD release will be titled "City at War" just like Season 4, Part 1 encapsulated the "Beyond the Known Universe" theme. Here's hoping anyway.

One neat homage to the original Mirage comics was Karai acting genuinely independent of Shredder in her efforts to reform the Foot Clan. Even the 4Kids show introduced Karai but did so as an ally of Saki who had a moral code. In that sense, the Nick show comes closer to the dynamics of the Mirage arc, in which Karai has her own motives that don't seem to involve advancing the goals of Shredder.

TMNTInsighter
08-14-2016, 08:59 PM
...However, I have a feeling the rest of the season will be City at War themed, so I'm not too disappointed. ...

Exactly! There's no need for others to get so worked up right now.

Jester
08-14-2016, 09:09 PM
Kinda my thought too. Strong return but really needed a different name.

ToTheNines
08-14-2016, 09:23 PM

Exactly! There's no need for others to get so worked up right now.

You trollin, or what?

lonewarrior20
08-14-2016, 09:25 PM
i really enjoyed it. i kept waiting for mikey to bring up bradfords cartoon when he and shinigami were fighting him. can't wait to see more karai.

snake
08-14-2016, 09:25 PM
Just watched the episode. I loved it. Restored my faith in the writing team honestly. Let's hope the rest of this story is just as good.

lonewarrior20
08-14-2016, 09:29 PM
i was also suprised they let shinigami into the lair so soon.

TMNTInsighter
08-14-2016, 09:31 PM
You trollin, or what?

No but I know you're retarded.

ToTheNines
08-14-2016, 09:35 PM
No but I know you're retarded.

Hey, uncalled for man. This behavior seems weird from you, I've never noticed you being aggressive before.

FredWolfLeonardo
08-14-2016, 10:54 PM
Just watched it, and I loved every bit of it.

I dunno why people are not satisfied with April delivering the final blow to tiger claw? She really took him by surprise there, after he had become worn out from fighting shinigami, the turtles, karai and april, (while having the upper hand most of the time) so i don't think jts unreasonable that april got the opening she needed. And besides, April showed throughout the episode that she was still pretty unexperienced as a kunoich. Shinigami defeated her multiple times in the episode, Raph stated she has a long way to go and even Fishface got the better of her during a fight.

But on topic, I think this was an amazing episode, from the major introduction of shinigami and karai as taking control over Shredder's old lair, to the little details like April being corrupted by that gem and Shredder's new lair. It feels great to have the show back again, and like many here, I agree that this episodes title is not meant to cover the entire adaptation from mirage, but just to show the tip of the iceberg. There's still 11 episodes on the season, I'm sure they will flesh out this arc alot more. Now to go and watch Andre Meadow's review. :P

TigerClaw
08-14-2016, 11:17 PM
Just watched it, and I loved every bit of it.

I dunno why people are not satisfied with April delivering the final blow to tiger claw? She really took him by surprise there, after he had become worn out from fighting shinigami, the turtles, karai and april, (while having the upper hand most of the time) so i don't think jts unreasonable that april got the opening she needed. And besides, April showed throughout the episode that she was still pretty unexperienced as a kunoich. Shinigami defeated her multiple times in the episode, Raph stated she has a long way to go and even Fishface got the better of her during a fight.

But on topic, I think this was an amazing episode, from the major introduction of shinigami and karai as taking control over Shredder's old lair, to the little details like April being corrupted by that gem and Shredder's new lair. It feels great to have the show back again, and like many here, I agree that this episodes title is not meant to cover the entire adaptation from mirage, but just to show the tip of the iceberg. There's still 11 episodes on the season, I'm sure they will flesh out this arc alot more. Now to go and watch Andre Meadow's review. :P
I thought it was funny that he got kicked between the balls, you never seen that in TMNT before. :tlol:

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
08-14-2016, 11:24 PM
I thought it was funny that he got kicked between the balls, you never seen that in TMNT before. :tlol:

I literally laughed out loud. That's one of the greatest payoffs in the history of the show. It's so awesome that Splinter showed her how to do that when all else fails. It works for sure! Is Shredder gonna become Super Shredder?

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
08-14-2016, 11:29 PM

EDIT: Yeah Powder, that new foot hideout is a reference to another show/movie. But I'm currently blanking on it.
I do agree that City At War seemed an odd title but I really did enjoy it overall. Usually the episode titles actually do seem to set the tone for the episode but that was just seemed like a pure homage and nothing else. I don't even know if "homage" is the correct word. Almost more of just like a reference or easter egg or something.

CyberCubed
08-14-2016, 11:37 PM
This is the second show that used, "City at War" for its episodes, and couldn't quite do it justice.

I think cartoons should just stop trying to make their own version of City at War. Its obvious no cartoon can handle the subject material without it being toned down considerably.

Ninjinister
08-14-2016, 11:56 PM
Y'alls would be a bit more content if you weren't creating your own hype for things beyond what the show will likely deliver.

I feel City at War did enough for what it was supposed to be. It was obviously a one-part episode, so instead of cramming it all into one 22 minute blurb, it's setting things up. Leo mentioned the power vacuum and we know the mob's coming up. Think of the back half of this season as "City at War" as its theme, if you have to.

Also it delivered on "Karai taking back the Foot from Shredder loyalists" which was a major theme of the original. The only difference is that Saki's still around.

NikitaZhukov
08-15-2016, 12:10 AM

Well, Casey did kick Tiger Claw between the balls in "Casey Jones vs The Underworld" episode. There goes Tiger Claw's future kids. :o

Utrommaniac
08-15-2016, 12:12 AM
I don't think he'd be having kids anyway :P

TheCollector
08-15-2016, 12:15 AM
Okay but did anyone else notice how wolf man reminiscent Karai's lose of control mutation scene? Cause I loved that bit.

EDIT: Also, I very much prefer Shini being with Karai in the 2k12 eps they're in then I ever did Chaplin from 2k3.

Utrommaniac
08-15-2016, 02:51 AM
That being said, it's almost funny how drastically different Karai's role here is from any other time around - especially with the parallels to the 2003 version.

Meeting Karai for the first time - Well known, sort of on the turtles side
Cleaning up a mess in lieu of her beloved adoptive father - f**king sh*t up for revenge against her kidnapper who called himself her father, whose guts she can now no longer stand
Shredder, in a tube, covered in worms - Shredder, burned more than ever, connected to "what is that green stuff, it disturbs me, please stop glowing, sir"

Zatoichi
08-15-2016, 02:58 AM
Well, Casey did kick Tiger Claw between the balls in "Casey Jones vs The Underworld" episode. There goes Tiger Claw's future kids. :o
He just has to wear a sport cup and nobody can stop him. :lol:

ssjup81
08-15-2016, 04:02 AM
So did April use the Dragon's Tail incorrectly or is the technique reallt just a kick in the balls? Because it would be hilarious if that was the case.I doubt it, even though this is like the third time Tigerclaw's been hit in the nuts. April's much shorter than Tigerclaw. It probably connected there for that very reason. Let's say she was Rahzar's height, or even Donnie or Casey's height or something...it probably would've connected with his stomach or torso.

Chopperface
08-15-2016, 06:11 AM
Let's talk.

First off, the episode isn't really an adaptation of CAW whatsoever, Mirage or 2003. Instead, it kicks off the storyline which apparently looks to last for the rest of the season considering we know Hun and Don Vizioso are gonna be major threats in the future. So it pacified me, though I still think the actual title should've been saved for the season finale when the city is actually at war.

Good to be back in New York. And good to have some actual plot progression for the first time in two years regarding Karai. It was somewhat abrupt that she was suddenly fully recovered mentally from the brain worm in this episode. Not as bad as last year when Stockman hamfistedly said "I've returned you to your human form" in the first 20 seconds of the episode. But still. I thought she had taken the mantle of the Shredder.

Like I said, the city wasn't really at war here. Karai and Shinigami don't really stand a chance against the Foot, even as bad off as they are. Shinigami is powerful, yes, but if eight powerful mutants couldn't lick Shredder and only Splinter can, they don't stand a chance in a fight. So I wasn't sold on the two as a credible threat to Shredder's organization, only as a threat to his ego. Destroying weapon caches is a good start though, considering how strapped the Foot are.

If you haven't noticed, I've talked about the Foot most here. That's because other than Splinter, I don't care about the main protagonists anymore. Casey and Mikey are obnoxious comic relief, Raph's development was thrown out the window forever ago, Donnie is bland these days (I don't miss his stalker stuff, however). And Leo is still on my shitlist after the last episode. But yes it was wonderful to see Splinter again.

The Foot have become why I watch the show, and it's so good to have them back. We haven't even seen Stockman in a year. Bradford and Xever fared well here for the most part and good to see Tigerclaw not suffer the Worf effect to Shinigami.

On that note I'm glad we're slowly getting more female characters, let alone female fighters.

I'll give it a 5.8/10.

Pros:
* The Foot and Splinter are back!
* Plot progression after two whole years.
* Promise of half a season devoted to City At War
* The ending.
Cons:
* Abrupt resolution of Karai's mental state.
* The title was wasted here since the city wasn't actually at war.
* Karai and Shinigami aren't that impressive as a rival to Shredder.

ssjup81
08-15-2016, 07:16 AM
* Abrupt resolution of Karai's mental state.How was it abrupt? We knew that she coughed up the worm episodes ago. The fight she had with Splinter showed her coughing it up right after, even though I felt she would've even without that final hit since Splinter said he loved her which caused her to hesitate right before she was hit. It's like how Raph coughed up the worm after Leo got to him emotionally.

If anything, the way they discussed the worm being gone felt a bit clumsy. They also mentioned weeks had gone by and quite a bit of time had gone by after the worm incident prior to the Triceraton stuff, so no...it wasn't abrupt. She had a load of time to regain her mental state. This was how she was prior to having the worms and stuff...out for revenge against Shredder.
* Karai and Shinigami aren't that impressive as a rival to Shredder.I figured that was the point. Karai will have to eventually realize that they can't do things on their own and will need help, whether it be from the turtles, April, and Casey or even the Mutanimals. Who knows, maybe Anton and Steranko may join her at some point. The implication is that she will eventually form a team.

ToTheNines
08-15-2016, 08:18 AM
I'm kinda bummed that this episode retroactively made Splinter vs Shredder in Earth's Last Stand kinda lame. It should have been more brutal and ended with him being further burned. I just really can't understand why he's all bandaged.

matteso586
08-15-2016, 08:27 AM
Apparently, the guys at IGN didn't give this episode a review yet.

neatoman
08-15-2016, 08:32 AM
I'm kinda bummed that this episode retroactively made Splinter vs Shredder in Earth's Last Stand kinda lame. It should have been more brutal and ended with him being further burned. I just really can't understand why he's all bandaged.

This is actually a major problem I have with this episode.

Shredder has spent three whole seasons basically being invincible to the point of absolute absurdity, remember when he fought eight mutants at once without getting a scratch and only losing on a technicality? Turns out hitting a few pressure points will put him in a hospital bed for a few months...

ToTheNines
08-15-2016, 09:25 AM
This is actually a major problem I have with this episode.

Shredder has spent three whole seasons basically being invincible to the point of absolute absurdity, remember when he fought eight mutants at once without getting a scratch and only losing on a technicality? Turns out hitting a few pressure points will put him in a hospital bed for a few months...

Yeah, it just should have been so much more of an epic battle that led him to that state. I feel sorta cheated. Now Shredder's final showdown will be as some cheesy playmates mutant.

Electric
08-15-2016, 10:40 AM
While it had flaws, my favorite episode of season 4 so far. Karais back to normal (though I wish they'd cure her mutation), Shinigami has an awesome design and personality, April as a kunoichi is great, and the episode felt even paced and like it progressed unlike the space arc

NinjaPug
08-15-2016, 11:52 AM
Apparently, the guys at IGN didn't give this episode a review yet.

Max Nicholson no longer works for IGN

CyberCubed
08-15-2016, 12:10 PM
Max Nicholson no longer works for IGN

Really? What happened?

NinjaPug
08-15-2016, 12:24 PM
Really? What happened?

He took on a full time role with CBS

Casey
08-15-2016, 12:36 PM

I don't even need to speak because you literally said exactly everything I was going to say pretty much verbatim. Weird.

Vicky82
08-15-2016, 12:39 PM
I wonder if anyone is going to take over reviewing the episodes then as Max has left.

srmff
08-15-2016, 01:05 PM
I'm actually really glad that it was named 'City at War.' It allows us to know what is going to happen in the following episodes. While with the 2003 series it could only be so long due to it being City at War part 1 etc. We know that the Nick series only does two part episodes so everything would have been crammed together and felt very rushed.

I really enjoyed this episode and I was entertained throughout. I like the addition of Shinigami. She provides a bit of stability for Karai at the moment anyway. As for people complaining about Shinigami's Gothic appearance. She's friends with Karai... Birds of a feather flock together. :lol:

TigerClaw
08-15-2016, 01:12 PM
The TMNT Fansite has a review of the episode.
http://tinyurl.com/hwyl8cg

evan2000
08-15-2016, 01:40 PM
Am I the only one who noticed the Simpsons reference? "Why you little" :x and "ˇAy, caramba!" :o

CyberCubed
08-15-2016, 02:33 PM
I just really love how this episode has Shredder with all 6 of his henchmutants.

Tiger Claw and Rahzar/Fishface are still there, but now also Bebop/Rocksteady and Baxter Stockman. Funny thing is all these characters worked for Shredder in past continuities too aside from new characters like Tiger Claw and Fishface.

Jephael
08-15-2016, 02:48 PM
Awesome episode, though what was the point of Casey Jones' cameo in the beginning? Like he was just there for April's initiation but then didn't stick around. That felt kinda weird. Maybe if someone said he had hockey practice that night so he couldn't stick around. Other than that, loved it!

Vicky82
08-15-2016, 02:51 PM
Am I the only one who noticed the Simpsons reference? "Why you little" :x and "ˇAy, caramba!" :o

I think the killer dolphins (from Bradfords cartoon) was a reference to the Simpsons Halloween episode.

victory_angel
08-15-2016, 03:18 PM
Yeah, it just should have been so much more of an epic battle that led him to that state. I feel sorta cheated. Now Shredder's final showdown will be as some cheesy playmates mutant.

I had pointed this out posts ago, but pressure points can do a lot of damage. The ones we've seen Splinter use mostly are the ones that disable temporarily.

And depending where the point is struck and the force behind it, it can cause permanent damage such as breaking bones or paralysis.

The only one that would be questionable is Dim Mak or the 'Death Touch' since that is more fictional.

ranger_scout
08-15-2016, 03:27 PM
I thought that April really kicked major butt when attacked Tiger Claw with that Dragon move. Karai has been through a lot, but she really should give her father a chance. She's just always been a lost soul.

MsMarvelDuckie
08-15-2016, 03:30 PM
Actually it is quite real. I've watched some videos on it using those dummys that imitate how a body is affected by trauma, and it basically spider-fractures the sternum into the lungs causing a slow death from internal damage and bleeding. Nasty move which is why it is seldom taught and is illegal to use in most places and forbidden by most schools. Not a myth it is just very misunderstood.

ToTheNines
08-15-2016, 03:31 PM
I don't even need to speak because you literally said exactly everything I was going to say pretty much verbatim. Weird.

I read your diary last night.

I had pointed this out posts ago, but pressure points can do a lot of damage. The ones we've seen Splinter use mostly are the ones that disable temporarily.

And depending where the point is struck and the force behind it, it can cause permanent damage such as breaking bones or paralysis.

The only one that would be questionable is Dim Mak or the 'Death Touch' since that is more fictional.

Yeah, I'll take it. But it still wasn't as cool as Shredder's final fight as a human should have been. And it still does not explain the bandages.

Mona_Lisa
08-15-2016, 03:57 PM
I can understand were Powder was coming from, it seemed like the wrong title for this episode but it does looks like it's the start of the City At War arc, with episodes coming up like Broken Foot and Mutant Gangland. Also with things said in this episode that gangs and the super villains moving in on Shredders turf and Leo saying things will get worse and Karia said she's going to claim this city as well.

I loved this episode (my kids did too)! But I can see how someone who wanted a real "City At War" arc would be angry. Kind of like me and the whole Dark Raph thing! I pretty much knew not to expect anything and started watching the episode open mindedly...
Anyway, strangely enough before I watched this ep. my girls re-watched the episode with the "Aions?".... And at the end of the episode it said anyone could be corrupted by power and ended with Aprils picture....
Now we see the beginnings of dark April, pretty cool.
I'm so happy Karri is back, Its just good to have the turtles back in NYC! Can't wait for the next ep.
The only problem I had with this episode is what happened to Shredder anyway, and why would Baxter stockman help him? But maybe they will explain this in a later episode.

TigerClaw
08-15-2016, 04:05 PM
I loved this episode (my kids did too)! But I can see how someone who wanted a real "City At War" arc would be angry. Kind of like me and the whole Dark Raph thing! I pretty much knew not to expect anything and started watching the episode open mindedly...
Anyway, strangely enough before I watched this ep. my girls re-watched the episode with the "Aions?".... And at the end of the episode it said anyone could be corrupted by power and ended with Aprils picture....
Now we see the beginnings of dark April, pretty cool.
I'm so happy Karri is back, Its just good to have the turtles back in NYC! Can't wait for the next ep.
The only problem I had with this episode is what happened to Shredder anyway, and why would Baxter stockman help him? But maybe they will explain this in a later episode.
Regardless, I'm happy were getting new episodes, and most importantly, Mona Lisa will even appear in some since she's featured in the new opening intro. :tsmile:

ssjup81
08-15-2016, 04:32 PM
I'm kinda bummed that this episode retroactively made Splinter vs Shredder in Earth's Last Stand kinda lame. It should have been more brutal and ended with him being further burned. I just really can't understand why he's all bandaged.Splinter probably hit a lot of vital pressure points causing the state he's in...although yeah...the bandages on his face are strange.

kelligrafie
08-15-2016, 04:46 PM
Awesome episode, though what was the point of Casey Jones' cameo in the beginning? Like he was just there for April's initiation but then didn't stick around. That felt kinda weird. Maybe if someone said he had hockey practice that night so he couldn't stick around. Other than that, loved it!

They'd probably already gone over budget actor-wise. :lol:

We had Leo, Raph, Donnie, Mikey, April, Splinter, Fish Face, Karai, Shini, Chris Bradford, Chris Bradford's nemesis, homeless guy, Shredder, Tiger Claw and Rahzar.

Bebop, Rocksteady and Baxter have no lines either. Better to have no lines than that episode where they reduced Baxter to just buzzing.

Toadtrooper
08-15-2016, 04:51 PM
Complaining about the episode title is like complaining that the very first episode of Game of Thrones was titled Winter Is Coming. It's meant to set the tone, not for event urgency. It took 60 episodes for winter to happen on GOT, City At War can unfold over the entire rest of the show's run if the showrunners want it to.

But it was a good episode, and a return to form. Space was a gimmick, and not even a particularly good toy-selling one. One episode in, Shinigami is a dynamic, well-planned character and I already want a figure of her. This show is always at its best when it creates great characters, which is why the Splinter-Shredder rivalry is still a dominant influence even when it's not a focus.

There was a balance of kid fun and adult fun. Xever channeling Jonathan Goldsmith was a little out of place, but even kids will sort of get that Dos Equis reference so it works.

It's a good jumping on episode, too. If you want to ignore everything that's happened so far and start here, it totally works. But long-term fans also get some things to work with, like that perhaps history was changed more than a little bit due to the space arc. Karai's motives, and maybe even her new friend, may be butterfly effects.

victory_angel
08-15-2016, 04:51 PM
They'd probably already gone over budget actor-wise. :lol:

We had Leo, Raph, Donnie, Mikey, April, Splinter, Fish Face, Karai, Shini, Chris Bradford, Chris Bradford's nemesis, homeless guy, Shredder, Tiger Claw and Rahzar.

Bebop, Rocksteady and Baxter have no lines either. Better to have no lines than that episode where they reduced Baxter to just buzzing.

Josh Peck is involved in that show with John Stamose it's called "Grandfathered". Maybe he was too involved with that show to voice for Casey this episode.

TheCollector
08-15-2016, 04:54 PM
While it had flaws, my favorite episode of season 4 so far. Karais back to normal (though I wish they'd cure her mutation), Shinigami has an awesome design and personality, April as a kunoichi is great, and the episode felt even paced and like it progressed unlike the space arc

Why? Her mutation isn't a major problem for her as it had been, heck until that snake out I thought she had been cured. If anything she has a special attack type thing. Could come in handy.

Cons:
* Abrupt resolution of Karai's mental state.

How could that ever be a con? You'd rather they take another half season? They've already taken far to long as is since she first mutated.

Powder
08-15-2016, 05:32 PM
The TMNT Fansite has a review of the episode.
http://tinyurl.com/hwyl8cg

Why should anyone care? Are you being paid to do viral marketing?

You're using Tinyurl because his site-link won't show up, you realize that's deliberate, surely. Why? Because Krang doesn't f**king want it posted here. The guy who runs it is/was a jerk, threw a huge hissy fit here & got banned. Stop posting it.

ToTheNines
08-15-2016, 05:36 PM
TC has no ethics.

THGhost
08-15-2016, 05:53 PM
Good episode, nice to have this show on TV again.

Shinagami is SO badass. :tcool: Of course Mikey has a crush on her though. I was wondering how long it would take the writers to find someone for him to crush on. That makes 4!
That Shredder helmet looks a little big on Karai. :lol:
I cannot wait for April to go Dark.
Super Shredder, anyone?

Does anyone else sometimes forget that the water in Shredder's throne room is covered with glass? I find myself surprised whenever someone steps on it and doesn't fall into the water.

tmntfanuk
08-15-2016, 05:56 PM
Best episode in a long, long time.

Mostly cause Karai. :D

IndigoErth
08-15-2016, 05:56 PM
Having to wait and try to watch it online isn't ideal, but at least I was able to see it.

Not bad, not bad at all. :tsmile: Feels like the show trying to get a bit back to its old self. Really wasn't sure about the new girl, slightly eye rolling when she first showed up, but beyond that first scene she seems cool enough.

My god... is this more push for a little more female representation in the show, hm? And April might end up with a couple female friends she's been lacking since, well, the Irma incident...? Had long hoped that she and Karai might end up friends, but wasn't sure if it would really ever happen. Then again, I'm sure this is all bound to go wrong again at some point.

Honestly though, I wonder if Karai knows that fan was originally meant to be hers. At first I kind of expected that was originally the target for that reason, but...guess not since it wasn't a real attack.

Little bit of a plot hole there on her fully regaining her mind though? She was losing her mental humanity, and then given that brain worm...but I don't recall them ever making it clear that they fixed her mind in the process. And why she's totally okay now post brain worm when she still deals with the mutation... uhh... Hm. But it's nice to have her back.

Huzzah
08-15-2016, 06:00 PM
One episode in, Shinigami is a dynamic, well-planned character and I already want a figure of her.

Don't hold your breath.

Though I will agree that she does seem an interesting character, provided they don't relegate her to just a girl Michelangelo crushes on.

snake
08-15-2016, 06:05 PM
Why should anyone care? Are you being paid to do viral marketing?

You're using Tinyurl because his site-link won't show up, you realize that's deliberate, surely. Why? Because Krang doesn't f**king want it posted here. The guy who runs it is/was a jerk, threw a huge hissy fit here & got banned. Stop posting it.

I think TC is actually autistic

TigerClaw
08-15-2016, 06:25 PM
Good episode, nice to have this show on TV again.

Shinagami is SO badass. :tcool: Of course Mikey has a crush on her though. I was wondering how long it would take the writers to find someone for him to crush on. That makes 4!
That Shredder helmet looks a little big on Karai. :lol:
I cannot wait for April to go Dark.
Super Shredder, anyone?

Does anyone else sometimes forget that the water in Shredder's throne room is covered with glass? I find myself surprised whenever someone steps on it and doesn't fall into the water.
and let's not forget the Dragon Tail, courtesy of April. :tlol:

IndigoErth
08-15-2016, 07:10 PM
and let's not forget the Dragon Tail, courtesy of April. :tlol:

"Right in the fur patch!" Did I hear that correctly...?

I cringed.

http://i.imgur.com/ES6QcMe.gif

ssjup81
08-15-2016, 07:21 PM
"Right in the fur patch!" Did I hear that correctly...?

I cringed.

http://i.imgur.com/ES6QcMe.gif
I did too after that line. lol

Anyway, given April's height compared to Tigerclaw, it's no surprise that the move ended up connecting there.

Electric
08-15-2016, 08:05 PM
Why? Her mutation isn't a major problem for her as it had been, heck until that snake out I thought she had been cured. If anything she has a special attack type thing. Could come in handy.

How could that ever be a con? You'd rather they take another half season? They've already taken far to long as is since she first mutated.

Just a personal preference really. Karai has been my favorite character in this series by far, and part of it is due to really enjoying her fighting scenes. As one of the (previously) few human characters, her fight scenes were great, instead of watching mutant tentacles or claws or teeth or etc. my favorite episodes to date are target April Oneil (think that's the name) and the episode where she ends up mutated, because Karai was a BADASS in those.

Then she went through her mutation, which I though was fine for her story, though I missed her. And now, instead of curing her, she's a hybrid, which to me yes is better than fully mutated, but also still takes away from what I enjoy. This episode showcased exactly what I think is going to be her fighting now. She'll try her normal human fighting, not be sufficient enough, and then slide out the snake arms turning it into another mutant fight. That's not nearly as enjoyable to me, so that's a con.

And it wouldn't take a full season to fix. A short scene of Donnie working on retro mutagen specific to Karai in any upcoming episode, then a few later, have him administer it to her after she loses control of her mutation or something. It really could be that simple. Her mutation has served its purpose. It made bother shredder and splinter blame each other, have both be looking for her, while also giving her a tramatic experience, rather than just joining the hamato clan after she found out the truth, to get her to her goal now of rebuilding the foot and carrying it on her own. Snakearms and fangs not needed.

IndigoErth
08-15-2016, 08:19 PM
I did too after that line. lol

Anyway, given April's height compared to Tigerclaw, it's no surprise that the move ended up connecting there.
True. Having not used a common harmless word (such as "groin"), now I feel like Donnie has done a little too much thinking about Tiger Claw previously. :teek: :lol:

Technogeek29
08-15-2016, 09:33 PM
I like it enough, some little things here and there bothered me but most of you have already listed what. All and all I liked it.

evan2000
08-16-2016, 11:42 AM
I think the killer dolphins (from Bradfords cartoon) was a reference to the Simpsons Halloween episode.

You're right! How did I miss this reference (http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/King_Snorky)? :tlol:

Yoshimickster
08-16-2016, 02:35 PM
Honestly I don't think Splinter's pressure point attack was what put Shredder on Dialysis, what I think it really was was...time. He is an old man, whose had a LOT of injuries, and that stuff builds up over time. Combine that with the MASSIVE stress of snakefying his daughter, and his body would logically break down. I bet he's been downing pain-killers this whole time.

Penst0ck
08-16-2016, 06:02 PM
Regardless, I'm happy were getting new episodes, and most importantly, Mona Lisa will even appear in some since she's featured in the new opening intro. :tsmile:

I'm not holding my breath for her to appear anymore this season. But putting some of the space arc characters in the intro was a nice reminder that they exist for when/ if she appears in season 5. :D

ABrown
08-16-2016, 09:27 PM
I think I enjoyed this episode more than any since the start of the third season. For the first time in a while, I'm really curious to see what happens.

Segaturtle
08-16-2016, 10:16 PM
I'm not holding my breath for her to appear anymore this season. But putting some of the space arc characters in the intro was a nice reminder that they exist for when/ if she appears in season 5. :D

I missed Mona in the intro. Like others have said elsewhere, this episode has more of a season 1 and 2 feel to it. I have a theory about Shingami. That maybe she's working for another villain as a double agent. No spoiler tags because this is just a fan theory.

Penst0ck
08-16-2016, 10:37 PM
I missed Mona in the intro. Like others have said elsewhere, this episode has more of a season 1 and 2 feel to it. I have a theory about Shingami. That maybe she's working for another villain as a double agent. No spoiler tags because this is just a fan theory.

Yeah, I could see that angle if we don't get more info on her. All we know about Shinigami on the inside is she was Karai's friend from Japan, she is not listed in any international crime data bases, and is apparently Karai's student.

Shini mentioned Karai as her sensei in her introduction.

TigerClaw
08-16-2016, 10:44 PM
Here she is.

https://67.media.tumblr.com/ff4067dcd9e31930cdba7011de82078a/tumblr_obw2louadr1t0m9o3o7_540.jpg

Segaturtle
08-16-2016, 10:47 PM
With sensei Karai, she's probably okay then. I didn't know that.

Here she is.

https://67.media.tumblr.com/ff4067dcd9e31930cdba7011de82078a/tumblr_obw2louadr1t0m9o3o7_540.jpg

She's big and in action. I don't know how I seemingly missed that. I see her dad behind her.

TigerClaw
08-16-2016, 11:04 PM
With sensei Karai, she's probably okay then. I didn't know that.

She's big and in action. I don't know how I seemingly missed that. I see her dad behind her.
You mean Sal Commander.

shredder orokusaki
08-17-2016, 02:10 AM
Honestly I don't think Splinter's pressure point attack was what put Shredder on Dialysis, what I think it really was was...time. He is an old man, whose had a LOT of injuries, and that stuff builds up over time. Combine that with the MASSIVE stress of snakefying his daughter, and his body would logically break down. I bet he's been downing pain-killers this whole time.

It is not time that did me this. But that mutant moster splinter. I am very powerful and healthy for a man of my age. Others at my age cant even walk but powerful ninjas like has the same power now as when i was younger. Only that monster Splinter is responsible for what happend to em but now i will take my revenge! The mutagen cured me and now iam more powerful than ever!

TheCollector
08-17-2016, 04:27 AM
Okay, but how worried Shini looked when she saw how upset Karai was after the turtles left, and pretty much every time Karai's upset,
https://s4.postimg.io/a3jryrbvx/teenage_mutant_ninja_turtles_2012_s04e15_720p_hd.j pg

The looks they gave each other after riding on a frickin motorcycle together,
https://s3.postimg.io/wnl5wif9f/teenage_mutant_ninja_turtles_2012_s04e15_720p_hd.j pg

How scared Karai looked when Tiger Claw threatened to hurt Shini if she didn't surrender.
https://s4.postimg.io/o4ppfa8kt/teenage_mutant_ninja_turtles_2012_s04e15_720p_hd.j pg

Plus the fact that Karai calls her Shini, I mean c'mon.

Am I the only one who thinks, or hopes, that they're more then just old friends?

ToTheNines
08-17-2016, 04:39 AM
I was honestly going to say the same thing, but I wasn't sure if this show was capable of the kind of subtlety, as far as romance goes. Although Auman's take on the YoshiShenSaki love triangle was pretty neat.

Also was afraid it would send cubed on some crazed rant about lesbians, as is his wont.

Powder
08-17-2016, 05:22 AM
Am I the only one who thinks, or hopes, that they're more then just old friends?

You're reaching/looking for it.

TheCollector
08-17-2016, 05:54 AM
You're reaching/looking for it.

Who knows. All those people who shipped Korra and Asami pointing out all those little subtlety's and it turned out they were right.

ssjup81
08-17-2016, 06:27 AM
Okay, but how worried Shini looked when she saw how upset Karai was after the turtles left, and pretty much every time Karai's upset,
https://s4.postimg.io/a3jryrbvx/teenage_mutant_ninja_turtles_2012_s04e15_720p_hd.j pg

The looks they gave each other after riding on a frickin motorcycle together,
https://s3.postimg.io/wnl5wif9f/teenage_mutant_ninja_turtles_2012_s04e15_720p_hd.j pg

How scared Karai looked when Tiger Claw threatened to hurt Shini if she didn't surrender.
https://s4.postimg.io/o4ppfa8kt/teenage_mutant_ninja_turtles_2012_s04e15_720p_hd.j pg

Plus the fact that Karai calls her Shini, I mean c'mon.

Am I the only one who thinks, or hopes, that they're more then just old friends?Japanese use nicknames with friends all the time. For example, we have a friend named Akinori...we call him "Aki" for short. Have another friend named Shinnosuke, friends call him "Shin" or jokingly, "Shin-chan" because of the character. Oh another person I know...named Hideyuki....friends use "Hide". Hiroyuki, we call him "Hiro". Our friend Melissa, Hiro's girlfriend, I call her "Missy-chan". Meiko, we call her "Mei" for short.

I also hear kids (kindergarten through high school) do the same in Japan. It's quite normal, so yeah you are reaching on this aspect, even though I figured someone would try pairing them up.

Even outside of Japan people use nicknames sometimes. Some call me "Wen". The Turtles use nicknames with each other too. Our old friend Tiffany, we would call "Tiff"or "Tiffy" at times, so yeah.

As for Karai's look in the last one, isn't it equivalent to the one she had when she realized she was leading the others into a trap after finding out that Splinter was telling the truth in Wrath of Tigerclaw? She's her friend...why WOULDN'T Karai look upset or worried for Shini?

ToTheNines
08-17-2016, 06:49 AM
Yeah, admittedly I was getting the vibe more from Shinigami and her glances than anything else.

And I don't put that much into nicknames, I work with a bunch of construction worker types and several of them have twee nicknames, best of all being "Winky".

Either way, it's cool to see another side of Karai.

ssjup81
08-17-2016, 06:55 AM
Yeah, admittedly I was getting the vibe more from Shinigami and her glances than anything else.

And I don't put that much into nicknames, I work with a bunch of construction worker types and several of them have twee nicknames, best of all being "Winky".

Either way, it's cool to see another side of Karai.Same here. I liked the fact that we saw Karai acting normal and stuff since she had a friend. I'm under the impression that they're supposed to be childhood friends, so that's even cooler. Wish we knew more about Shini though...like how the two met.

CyberCubed
08-17-2016, 12:44 PM

I got a lesbian vibe out of them right away. People fail to realize that in cartoons or anime when they make pairings they make it fairly obvious. I wouldn't be surprised if they were lovers.

I was planning on making a thread about it but I decided to hold off until we get a few more episodes out of them. Everyone loves lesbian pairings of little girls in cartoons/anime so this would be a big hit if they do it.

Jephael
08-17-2016, 12:51 PM
Everyone loves lesbian pairings of little girls in cartoons/anime so this would be a big hit if they do it.

:tlol: Wow, just... wow!!!

Tetsu Deinonychus
08-17-2016, 01:31 PM
I loved this episode. After the show getting drowned in sci-fi and OT style lightness, having a dark episode focused on martial arts on the city streets with a human adversary was very refreshing.

It's going to be very different from the original Mirage City at War, but for a Nick-verse version of the story, I think it's a good set-up.

kelligrafie
08-17-2016, 03:47 PM
Seems like all it takes is for two characters to make eye contact and suddenly they're a couple.

Imagine. If all these shippers put as much thought into their own love lives as they do on fictional ones, they might actually get dates.

Powder
08-17-2016, 04:13 PM
Imagine. If all these shippers put as much thought into their own love lives as they do on fictional ones, they might actually get dates.

"_____ looked at me! They even shortened my name for the sake of convenience! THAT MUST MEAN THEY'RE IN LOVE WITH ME!" :tlove:

:lol:

Splinter the boss
08-17-2016, 05:20 PM
Very nice
funny moments to me: Fishface and April moment, and when Raphael said that Shinigami took them to school on a Sunday.

BubblyShell22
08-17-2016, 06:09 PM
I missed this one due to RL stuff and watching the Olympics and losing track of things. But from what I'm hearing, it sounds like it was a good episode. I know many are going to say I can catch it online, but I can't or it will ruin my Internet minutes depending on how long the video is. I will catch it at another time and I hopefully won't miss next week's episode since it's a Leo centered one. But I'm glad Shinigami is a good character and I'm sure we'll see more of her later.

Jephael
08-17-2016, 09:42 PM
Seems like all it takes is for two characters to make eye contact and suddenly they're a couple.

By that logic there should be an episode where they all have an orgy.

ToTheNines
08-17-2016, 09:44 PM
You're a pervert Jeff.

Jephael
08-17-2016, 09:53 PM
You're a pervert Jeff.

Dude, chill out. I was just kidding. Man, this place can get so anal sometimes.

Darth Knuckles
08-18-2016, 01:38 AM
I really enjoyed this episode too. The Space Arc was fun but it does feel good to be back in New York City again. Shinigami seems like a very interesting character that I hope they expand upon. The "Ay Caramba!" line from Fishface totally made me think of Jaguar from the Archie Comics.

As others have said, it seems like Shredder in bandages doesn't fit right. Could this maybe have happened from Karai already attacking Shredder before this episode starts? Shredder being beaten up is fine but him being that weak and bandaged up weeks after his encounter with Splinter seems like a bit too much to me. Since Leo said it's been weeks since The Black Hole Generator was destroyed, maybe Karai and Shinigami fought Shredder and The Foot out of their usual hideout and really messed Shredder up perhaps. I hope the "City at War" is an actual arc for the rest of this season too.

Splinter the boss
08-18-2016, 07:04 AM
It should be an arc. Didn't Raph say that other gangs would fight one another once they realize Shredder's gone?

The Happy One
08-18-2016, 07:31 AM
It should be an arc. Didn't Raph say that other gangs would fight one another once they realize Shredder's gone?

For some reason I feel like that mention was just to pay homage to the comic. But, I mean there's an episode coming up called Mutant Gangland so it's a possibility.

KrN
08-18-2016, 08:37 AM
People are still confused about this? The whole rest of this season is City at War, it wasn't just a one-off episode. It is a complete lack of imagination if they were to name the rest of the episodes as City at War pt.2, 3, 4, ect...

Mutant Ganglands description: Don Vizioso’s gang tracks the Turtles with a slew of Anti-Mutant weapons! Obviously it's an arc?

The Happy One
08-18-2016, 08:46 AM
People are still confused about this? The whole rest of this season is City at War, it wasn't just a one-off episode. It is a complete lack of imagination if they were to name the rest of the episodes as City at War pt.2, 3, 4, ect...

Mutant Ganglands description: Don Vizioso’s gang tracks the Turtles with a slew of Anti-Mutant weapons! Obviously it's an arc?

Ah, okay then. I guess I was just missing that.

Casey
08-18-2016, 09:08 AM

This has been my interpretation as well. It will all culminate with Super Shredder showing up and being defeated (hopefully once and for all).

Yoshimickster
08-18-2016, 01:16 PM
It is not time that did me this. But that mutant moster splinter. I am very powerful and healthy for a man of my age. Others at my age cant even walk but powerful ninjas like has the same power now as when i was younger. Only that monster Splinter is responsible for what happend to em but now i will take my revenge! The mutagen cured me and now iam more powerful than ever!

Yup just blame everything on Splinter, he's also the reason your daughter hates you, and why you killed Tang Shen.

Seriously it would NOT surprise me if he blamed Splinter for him needing to mutate.

DevilSpooky
08-18-2016, 10:59 PM
Is it just me that gets a Bayonetta vibe from Shinigami? You know, a tonned down more kid friendly version of her? :tsurpris:

http://img06.deviantart.net/8e1c/i/2014/107/1/8/bayonetta_xna_render_by_arrow_4_u-d7ewfji.png

Powder
08-18-2016, 11:02 PM
I'm not too familiar with her, but I saw folks making that comparison on another website. So you've got some company. :trazz:

Ninjinister
08-18-2016, 11:12 PM

Yeah I was sayin' this a few pages ago (or in another topic or somethin'). Plus Leo mentioned all of the gangs vying for power in the vacuum left by Shredder's fall. It seems to be the "theme" for the back half of Season 4.

DevilSpooky
08-19-2016, 01:24 AM
I'm not too familiar with her, but I saw folks making that comparison on another website. So you've got some company. :trazz:

They're both witches, and are both extremely sensual and great fighters, they can both turn into cats (Bayonetta turns into a black panter) and are loyal friends. I don't know, they both look alike to me, both design wise and personality wise, although I doubt Shinigami will be summoning hell creatures with her hair anytime soon :trazz:

snake
08-19-2016, 10:54 AM
Dude, chill out. I was just kidding. Man, this place can get so anal sometimes.

Anal? Hahahaha.

Splinter the boss
08-19-2016, 07:49 PM
They're both witches, and are both extremely sensual and great fighters, they can both turn into cats (Bayonetta turns into a black panter) and are loyal friends. I don't know, they both look alike to me, both design wise and personality wise, although I doubt Shinigami will be summoning hell creatures with her hair anytime soon :trazz:

Can shinigami transform into a cat, though? I did see a cat, but I think it was just to build up a scary setting or environment.

ToTheNines
08-19-2016, 08:29 PM
Anal? Hahahaha.

I wasn't gonna touch that one with a ten foot pole.

****, it happened again!

Jephael
08-19-2016, 08:32 PM
Can shinigami transform into a cat, though? I did see a cat, but I think it was just to build up a scary setting or environment.

Might've simply been an illusion. When it comes to magic, anything is possible.

Ninjinister
08-20-2016, 12:18 AM
extremely sensual

......wtf..

DevilSpooky
08-20-2016, 12:38 AM

I think that's implied. And for what it's worth the Turtlepedia does state she can change into one.

Powder
08-20-2016, 01:32 AM
Turtlepedia is made by fans. Trust nothing.

victory_angel
08-20-2016, 01:43 AM
I think that's implied. And for what it's worth the Turtlepedia does state she can change into one.

Perhaps she has a cat familiar, and that is the cat we see before she appears.

ZacksSoUgly
08-20-2016, 03:06 AM
I really dug this episode. It's a good start to a new arc, introduced a cool new character, Karai taking back The Foot could be a cool storyline for her, had some great action and fight scenes, lots of girl power in this episode and looks like we're getting Super Shredder.

My complaints are mostly in line with everyone else's though. April's already psychic, but she gets to be a ninja too? I guess they're not mutually exclusive, but can the Turtles be special in their own show? haha... I like the Nick version of April, but not if she gets to become an all powerful super ninja. Shinigami is a ninjawitch? A nitch? A winja? Whatever the case, why do the Turtles always get punked by new adversaries?

I also really love how the episode felt intimate and personal, but setup bigger story elements. A good way to bring the show back. Let's hope it continues to improve.

ssjup81
08-20-2016, 05:58 AM
My complaints are mostly in line with everyone else's though. April's already psychic, but she gets to be a ninja too?She's super low rank though. She's still nowhere near the levels of Karai and the turtles. That aside, at least the show has shown her progression. She's been training consistently (minus the junk when she was angry with them back in season 2) since season 1....I would hope that she'd improve. That would be like someone training in karate for three or four years and still wearing a white belt. It just wouldn't happen. I would hate for April to still rank that low.

We know she's a kunoichi, but that just means female ninja. Raph pointed out she had many more ranks (dan) to go. She even lost her battles in the ep. The Tigerclaw hit was pure luck on her part. So yeah, I have no problem with the ninja thing personally, just as long as she doesn't suddenly get better than the characters who've been training their entire lives.

Utrommaniac
08-20-2016, 10:48 AM
Her psychic powers are also highly untrained as well, if only because she's had no one around to properly teach her - added with the power crystal that might just make her go out of control. I guess that's where having an Utrom around would be beneficial. Probably Bishop, though Rook might make sense for filling the Irma role that half of the tumblr fandom is hollering for.

victory_angel
08-20-2016, 01:33 PM
Her psychic powers are also highly untrained as well, if only because she's had no one around to properly teach her - added with the power crystal that might just make her go out of control. I guess that's where having an Utrom around would be beneficial. Probably Bishop, though Rook might make sense for filling the Irma role that half of the tumblr fandom is hollering for.

I agree. April's powers are inconsistent because while they are showing signs of improvement are still latent. So she doesn't know how to fully control them.

The only people we have seen helping April learn and control her psychic powers are Donnie and the Fugitoid.

Donnie doesn't have any psychic powers of his own, but he has been helping her discover the limits of her psychic powers and also what abilities she's capable of. And through this Donnie has been documenting and studying his findings.

Fugitoid however, has served as a teacher for her psychic powers as well. But she as a means to help her control them.

The crystal while it has been useful, but it's similar to those objects of power that one would find in stories such as Lord of the Rings, majority of Terry Brook's novels and so on.

It's an item that appears benign on the outside and may be given with good intentions. But the problem with objects of power is that they possess the user. The user becomes so obsessed with the power the object holds to the point where they either become the opposite of who they once were. Or if they lose said object they feel morose and distraught because the thing they had depended on is no longer available.

Splinter the boss
08-20-2016, 04:51 PM
I really hate the fact that whenever the turtles meet and face new opponents, they come off as amateurs and inexperienced. It's ridiculous.

Jephael
08-20-2016, 04:54 PM
I really hate the fact that whenever the turtles meet and face new opponents, they come off as amateurs and inexperienced. It's ridiculous.

Yea but on the flip side imagine if they won every single fight they got in. That would get pretty boring after a while. Infact now that I think about it, that's kinda how they were depicted in the original cartoon.

Splinter the boss
08-20-2016, 05:03 PM
Still... they could have made them win or portrayed them as good in comparison to the new opponents at least 1 or 2 times.

Jephael
08-20-2016, 05:16 PM
I will admit it was pretty brutal watching the TMNT and their allies all get their butts handed to them by the Triceratons during the season 3 finale.

DevilSpooky
08-20-2016, 05:42 PM
Turtlepedia is made by fans. Trust nothing.

Thus why I said "for what it's worth".

ToTheNines
08-20-2016, 05:57 PM
So, nothing lol.

ssjup81
08-20-2016, 07:07 PM
Still... they could have made them win or portrayed them as good in comparison to the new opponents at least 1 or 2 times.Seemed like they were underestimating Shini, personally and didn't fight to their fullest. It's like Leo said after they lost...something like, they know what her style is like and stuff so that they're better prepared. If I recall correctly, they did the same thing with Fishface.

DevilSpooky
08-21-2016, 01:09 AM
So, nothing lol.

Probably, if nothing else at least proves that there are more people that took that she can turn herself into a cat. :tshifty:

DVD
08-21-2016, 02:11 AM
I completely forgot that we were getting new episodes last week. I had thought about keeping it till tonight and watching two at once, but... Nah! I had a new TMNT episode and it had to be watched.
Very packed episode that was totally enjoyable and a lot of fun.
Cracked up at a Fish Face's line (I won't spoil it).
The new character is pretty cool and looks like it was designed around an action figure!! Anyway. I liked the ep and look forward to more if the same over the next three weeks.

neatoman
08-21-2016, 03:59 PM
Is anyone else happy we have human Ninjas again and that the stupid robots will probably away sooner or later?

gibbs615
08-21-2016, 11:33 PM
Well finally we see Karai again WITHOUT that mind-control worm and with a new friend too!!! Also it seems she wants to go to war with the shredder! This is gonna be GOOD!

victory_angel
08-23-2016, 02:28 PM
Anyone else get a Falling Water Vibe from Shredder's house.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/tmnt/images/a/a2/Screenshot_2016-08-16-18-52-51%281%29.png

http://cdn.designrulz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Fallingwater-dr-2.jpg

Jephael
08-23-2016, 05:08 PM
Anyone else get a Falling Water Vibe from Shredder's house.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/tmnt/images/a/a2/Screenshot_2016-08-16-18-52-51%281%29.png

http://cdn.designrulz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Fallingwater-dr-2.jpg

Nah, I kinda got more of a Ferris Bueller vibe from it. Remember this scene?

bqjK6jjt6gk

I kinda hope we get an homage to this!!!

BubblyShell22
09-18-2016, 02:15 PM
Well, I finally saw the episode so now I can give my review on it. I thought everything about it was awesome from Karai being back to the introduction of Shinigami. I also like how April lost and how she doubted herself because not everyone can win all of the time. Splinter's words are true though that if you give up, then you achieve failure. The fight scenes were really good and I loved the line about walking the dog as it made me think of the second movie when Mikey did that bit with the yo-yo.

I also don't mind April's progression because I feel it's been handled nicely and she still has a long way to go before she's even close to where the Turtles are.

Overall, I enjoyed the episode and thought it was very well done.