PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on how to get rid of house pests (ants)

Icebot
08-15-2016, 04:15 AM
My kitchen is swarming with ants and the ants have gotten into my upper cabinets where I keep my food.

Now I am desperately trying to get rid of those ants because I have so much food and I would hate to waste it all like that. I read somewhere online that perfume soaked in cotton balls keeps ants away. I used that and it helped but now my kitchen smells like perfume. I only used it on my table (in a circle of perfumed cotton balls and put the food in that circle).

Does anyone know of anything else ants hate besides perfume? I want to see if this works before I have to call a pest exterminator.

Powder
08-15-2016, 05:12 AM
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/d3/d31118ff-cf3b-47ec-8547-46663fcc839c_400.jpg

This stuff kicks some serious ass. Assuming you're not against using this sorta thing, go get a container ASAP.

The ants you use it on will die in like, less than 30 seconds, it's insane. Just spray their entry points/travel path, any who try to pass will die on arrival. Seriously, it's powerful stuff. & pet safe once dry, which takes very little time at all. Fairly minor scent when used in excess, passes quickly though, & is relatively inoffensive. It's not a pressurized mist like most canned sprays, it's a spritz like window cleaner. Highly recommend it. You regularly hit window sills, doorframes, etc with this product & you'll never see an ant again, or anything else for that matter. I've even gotten rid of big ass wolf spiders with it.

Cure
08-15-2016, 05:36 AM
Spiders, you say? But spiders are so cute and help you out, Powder. You should love them exactly as much as I love them.

joefsas
08-15-2016, 06:48 AM
You would make a great salesman for that stuff Powder :lol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-15-2016, 07:57 AM
You would make a great salesman for that stuff Powder :lol:

There is no insecticide salesman as effective as one with a grudge against that particular species of vermin.

I now know what I'M buying to kill ants. :twink:

Shark_Blade
08-15-2016, 08:13 AM
I guess it's a cheaper alternative than calling an exterminator.

snake
08-15-2016, 09:54 AM
Thanks Powder, my garden has a sh*t ton of ant colonies that are eating up the plants, so I think I have an idea now.

Andrew NDB
08-15-2016, 10:56 AM
I hear this can do double duty too...

https://faa81132b7.site.internapcdn.net/products/Ortho/US-Ortho-Weed-B-Gon-Weed-Killer-For-Lawns-Ready-to-use-2-0193210-Main-Lrg.png

plastroncafe
08-15-2016, 11:01 AM
I wish I had the name of the stuff that the exterminator sprayed along the baseboards of my house when it was discovered we had carpenter ants. Lethal to ants, but once it dried it was safe for pets and small children.

I've heard that planting mint outside will keep the ants at bay, but would think twice before pouring chemicals into the ground around my house.
But that's me.

Andrew NDB
08-15-2016, 11:10 AM
I've heard that planting mint outside will keep the ants at bay

That's definitely false. The house I was staying at for a couple years with a Mexican family of 6 had huge bushes of mint all around, and I'd literally watch the little black ants crawl through them to get into the corners of the windows.

Icebot
08-15-2016, 02:28 PM
Thanks everyone. I just got advice outside the forums that ants don't like chalk so I'm gonna try chalk. If that doesn't work, I'll try to find the kind of thing from the picture Powder posted.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-15-2016, 02:46 PM
Bayer's works wonders, too. It's what I use on my fireant hills and it actually works. I've just never used it indoors.

MsMarvelDuckie
08-15-2016, 02:51 PM
That's definitely false. The house I was staying at for a couple years with a Mexican family of 6 had huge bushes of mint all around, and I'd literally watch the little black ants crawl through them to get into the corners of the windows.

The plant itself does not work. It is the oil extract- but it works best when combined with clove oil. The two together are anathema to most pests.

ProactiveMan
08-16-2016, 12:35 AM
I've used stuff called Ant-Rid before, which (and this sounds terrible when you say it out loud) doesn't kill the ants immediately - it gives them enough time to return home and poison their colony. Eventually the queen will die and then no more ants.