PDA

View Full Version : Missed Opportunity

ZedsDead
08-16-2016, 08:19 PM
Hi guys! I'm new here and this is my first posting but I've been lurking on these forums for years. I have a TMNT toy story I want to share with you guys and if you don't believe me, it's totally cool cuz if I was you, I wouldn't believe me either.

It was around 2002 or 2003 and I had stopped at my local Big Lots. I don't remember what initially brought me in but while I was walking around, I see this display. It's about up to my chest and very long and it's a peg board filled about 4-5 figures deep about 5 high of TMNT figures. Tons of figures. I look and walk away. A few minutes later I come back cuz it was so cool to see these again. I grew up with them and love TMNT but kind of gave it up at that time in my life. My father tossed my old toys shortly after moving out so I had little to no TMNT stuff left from childhood. So I start browsing through to see what's here. I think to myself "It's so cool they reissued these". I couldn't tell you everything that was there but I ended up buying the four original Turtles (hard heads) and Casey Jones. The cards, everything looked just like the original ones. I went home and put them in a closet and there they sat for the next few years.
Sometime later I get the wonderful idea to open and display these and I do. Once I start really inspecting these they seem legit. Like they're the real thing, not reissues. The markings on them say "c1988 Mirage Studios Playmates Toys China".
I didn't know "old new stock" was a thing at this time. I passed on dozens of original TMNT figures. Carded. Cheap. If I had been using my brain I would of maxed out my credit card and came back with a truck. I still have the five figures I bought that day sitting with other TMNT figures I've since bought off eBay and local flea markets. When I really think about this I get slightly nauseated at this missed opportunity.

So my question to you guys is has anyone here ever encountered something like this? Am I wrong in thinking these are legitimate figures from back in the day? I know Big Lots gets weird stuff from time to time. Was it possible that these sat in a warehouse for 15 years just waiting for me to find them at a Big Lots AND PASS ON THEM? I've debated on telling this story here for years because it's such a sore spot for me. Either way thanks for reading this long post and thanks in advance for any responses!

EddieNES
08-16-2016, 08:36 PM
I started collecting turtles around the time I found out I was having a son. Years before that, I was at a garage sale with the wife and found a book bag STUFFED full of the original turtle line. They were loose, but I'd say there were easily 40+ figures in it.

The guy was asking $60 and this was before my current job and money was tight, so I walked.

I still think about that book bag.

MrPliggins
08-16-2016, 11:11 PM
I remember walking into an old Hills store in 1997. I walked over to the toy aisles and, to my surprise, there was a rack full of old TMNT figures circa 1991, mint on card. These were on the original card with the brick wall. I bought a Donatello with Storage Shell and guessed that they just unearthed an old case sitting in the back for 6 years.

Powder
08-16-2016, 11:17 PM
I saw an MOC Vam Mi in a Rite Aid around 2005 or 6 for super cheap, regret not picking it up.

go_ninja84
08-17-2016, 01:22 AM
there have been a few time Playmates re-issued the original line in 92 was the first time as a 4 pack Target exclusive. then i believe in 1998 they re-released single carded figures (which may be what you saw) they did not have the original cards though. the front of the cards featured all 4 turtles on each corner of the card with a sewer background. the card backs were the same as the original i believe. it might help if you still had the original cards to snap a pic of them. then in 2009 they released them again for the 25th anniversary along with the Party Wagons first re-issue. then in 2013 they did it again for the Classic Collection which i believe is still going releasing other figures that have not been released since their debut. i remember going into KB Toy store and finding the original turtles when i was 15, i begged my dad to buy them, he did but made me pay him back and held onto them until my debt was paid off. he wanted me to learn to budget myself lol

snake
08-17-2016, 01:29 AM
Aw man. That's the worst. Reminds me of seeing all the Vintage Collection Star Wars figures for $8.99 retail EVERYWHERE and missing out on most of them. Even the cheapest ones go for $25+ now.

Love the username too

Who's Zed?
Zed's dead, baby

thundermaster612
08-17-2016, 05:07 AM
Back in 2003 I was at a thrift store in Canada (because I lived there at the time) and there was a 2003 Donatello next to a probably 1999 Reissue Donatello, I got none of them :tmad:

Powder
08-17-2016, 05:21 AM
Eh? You would've been like 2 years old at the time. & why would a then brand spanking new Donnie be in a thrift store? :blanksta:

ToTheNines
08-17-2016, 05:35 AM
I always really wanted an FF Dark Leo, held one in my hand in a walmart but decided I didn't need it. Now they're expensive as all hell.

Worst one was when I saw one of these on ebay:

https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_iv/600/855013.jpg

Catch was, the seller didn't give it the exact right name in the listing and put it in the baby books category instead of comics section. So I messaged him to ask if it was what I thought it was, but it ended before he responded and it sold for like 3.75 and free shipping :tlol:

go_ninja84
08-17-2016, 05:42 AM
Back in 2003 I was at a thrift store in Canada (because I lived there at the time) and there was a 2003 Donatello next to a probably 1999 Reissue Donatello, I got none of them :tmad:

Eh? You would've been like 2 years old at the time. & why would a then brand spanking new Donnie be in a thrift store? :blanksta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

ProactiveMan
08-17-2016, 06:59 AM
I saw an awesome framed Mirage Turtles poster at a flee market when I was a teenager, but it would have cleaned me out for the day, so I went looking for video games. When I came to my senses and went back it was gone.

ZedsDead
08-17-2016, 05:53 PM
there have been a few time Playmates re-issued the original line in 92 was the first time as a 4 pack Target exclusive. then i believe in 1998 they re-released single carded figures (which may be what you saw) they did not have the original cards though. the front of the cards featured all 4 turtles on each corner of the card with a sewer background. the card backs were the same as the original i believe. it might help if you still had the original cards to snap a pic of them. then in 2009 they released them again for the 25th anniversary along with the Party Wagons first re-issue. then in 2013 they did it again for the Classic Collection which i believe is still going releasing other figures that have not been released since their debut. i remember going into KB Toy store and finding the original turtles when i was 15, i begged my dad to buy them, he did but made me pay him back and held onto them until my debt was paid off. he wanted me to learn to budget myself lol

I wish I still had the cards, I must of tossed them or lost them in one of my many moves. From what I remember they were the same as the ones from back in the day.

ZedsDead
08-17-2016, 05:56 PM
Aw man. That's the worst. Reminds me of seeing all the Vintage Collection Star Wars figures for $8.99 retail EVERYWHERE and missing out on most of them. Even the cheapest ones go for $25+ now.

Love the username too

Who's Zed?
Zed's dead, baby

Oh man that hurts. I hate when I don't pick something up cuz it's everywhere, wait too long and it's going for mega bucks on eBay.

Lol thanks man.

ZedsDead
08-17-2016, 05:59 PM
I remember walking into an old Hills store in 1997. I walked over to the toy aisles and, to my surprise, there was a rack full of old TMNT figures circa 1991, mint on card. These were on the original card with the brick wall. I bought a Donatello with Storage Shell and guessed that they just unearthed an old case sitting in the back for 6 years.

Not dissimilar from my experience. I guess I should be happy I got those five for next to nothing but I guess I'm a glass half empty kinda guy lol

tmntman
08-17-2016, 06:59 PM
I've dealt with a few cases like that, but not really TMNT related. There used to be a lot of hardware and farm supply stores in this area. As many of those stores stopped carrying toys, they held on to a fair amount of old stock. So throughout the 90's and even into 2000's I could go into a lot of these stores and find old toys still on the shelf for the original retail. It was rarely anything too great. But I did get a few old TMNT vehicles from one hardware store as well as one of the large plush Turtles.

CyberCubed
08-17-2016, 07:38 PM
I had nearly the complete run of the 2k3 line besides some TMNT variants.

Then I sold the whole thing 3-4 years ago.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
08-17-2016, 09:50 PM
Not exactly TMNT but I also collect Masters of the Universe and an Eternia Playset is my dream piece. I actually had EVERYthing MOTU back in the day but never that but I have heard people talk about how they used to see TONS of them on the shelves because TMNT was beginning around this time and took the market from He-Man. Also something that kills me is that my mom gave away my original Thundertank and now those things are worth quite a bit even loose. Ahhh the joys of being a collector. LOL!

thundermaster612
08-18-2016, 07:10 AM

I have no idea, even today I still see new things in thrift stores. Like a 2012 Master Splinter.
(Also you seem to have remembered that I'm 15)

tmntman
08-18-2016, 07:22 AM
I have no idea, even today I still see new things in thrift stores. Like a 2012 Master Splinter.

Depending on the area, some stores have programs to donate old/discontinued stock to local thrift stores for a tax write off.

Powder
08-18-2016, 04:46 PM

Yeah, well assuming you really are, that would make your 'missed opportunity' a lie...

I Crave Pizza No More
08-19-2016, 05:24 AM
Maybe 4-5 years ago someone on this forum listed a first printing TMNT #1 for $800. I was the first to respond, but apparently he got flooded with other offers. Instead of countering in any meaningful way--I might have offered $1000, I don't recall--I just kind of accepted that it was out of reach for me.

I never did learn what he actually sold it for, but in hindsight I would have come out ahead (in a sense, anyway) even if I had offered $2K. Probably the one missed purchase that really stays with me.

blindturtle02
08-19-2016, 10:53 AM
I remember going into KB back in 97 or so and seeing a ton of the reissued figures. Still kicking myself for not picking any of them up. My stepdad sold all my originals back in the day by mistake after mom told him around four or five times not to touch the stuff she'd set aside in our storage room. Dude still doesn't listen unless your conversation has to do with hunting, motorcycles, or old cars.

thundermaster612
08-19-2016, 11:20 AM
Yeah, well assuming you really are, that would make your 'missed opportunity' a lie...

I have no reason to lie, but whatever. You can perceive it any way you want. I know what I saw.

Powder
08-19-2016, 05:23 PM
You know what you saw as a 2 year old...?

thundermaster612
08-19-2016, 05:52 PM
You know what you saw as a 2 year old...?

Any could remember things from a young age. There's literally no point in doubting it just cause they were __ age. I even remember "rocking out" on my fake wiggles guitar at that age.