PDA

View Full Version : When you go to sleep and have to "catch up" on the internet the next day

CyberCubed
08-17-2016, 11:40 AM
Does this happen to anyone else? I have a late sleep schedule, so when I go to sleep for 7-8 hours and wake up late the next morning, I have to "catch up" on everything internet related I follow the next day.

For example all the websites I visit have new updated news articles of things that happened when I was sleeping. Then I check all the forums I regularly visit for new threads and posts that were made last night. Then various social media stuff to see what was posted when I was asleep.

Does anyone else think or do this? Like when you wake up the next morning you feel like you're "late" because the internet went on without you for 7-8 hours and you have to catch up on everything you missed while you were sleeping? Its why most of us browse the internet so much each new day for the first time.

Jephael
08-17-2016, 12:04 PM
I'm definitely that way with my YouTube subscriptions. I sometimes go a couple days without going online, even if I'm on my laptop doing other things.

Cure
08-17-2016, 01:03 PM
Jesus, no. Life exists outside of the internet. That sounds like an addiction.

Powder
08-17-2016, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I'm like that.

plastroncafe
08-17-2016, 02:10 PM
Late?
No.
FOMO?
Only in reference to my friends, a good deal of which now live too far away to visit regularly.

SO yeah, I check twitter and facebook when I get up in the morning, but that's more to see what people I know are up to.

IndigoErth
08-17-2016, 03:04 PM
Have to? Like as an impulse? No, not really.

Do I want to catch up on stuff when able, sure. But in most cases it's not going anywhere, so when I'm able to get on I'm simply happy to see what new and exciting stuff has gone on in my absence.

Only time it sucks is when there was some kind of entertaining drama and I didn't show up until the discussion was already locked down or it's far too deep in to bother commenting. :trazz:

Although I do hate when there's nothing good... lol

BubblyShell22
08-17-2016, 04:33 PM
Nah, I don't feel like I have to get on the Internet all of the time. I mostly get on twice a day if that, and now it may be more for work related stuff if all goes well and not for other stuff. That will probably have to wait for the weekend. And with Dad coming home, I'm still going to have limited time to do things online as it is, but that's life. I know I may miss things, but that's totally fine with me because I can always catch up when I get on the next time.

There's more to life than just being online. When I'm not online, I usually read a good book, watch TV, or write.

snake
08-17-2016, 07:09 PM
I check a couple sites for news updates. I like being offline, because the more I'm off, the better the chances become a new article or news update has been published.

TheSkeletonMan939
08-17-2016, 07:16 PM
If there's a thread here, or on some other forum, that I have a strong interest in, then I'll check it out in the morning to see if anyone's said anything in it.

ToTheNines
08-17-2016, 07:39 PM
I've sharted twice in my life.

Prowler
08-17-2016, 07:45 PM
Well, it does not surprise me that while I'm sleeping, millions of people all over the world are awake.

Jephael
08-17-2016, 08:57 PM

This from the guy who called me a perv on another thread, LOL!!!

IndigoErth
08-18-2016, 02:59 PM
Were you on this forum when it happened?

ToTheNines
08-18-2016, 03:08 PM
No, I was LARPing the first time. Mowing the lawn the second time.

@Jeff strange that you equate a man ******** his pants to sexual deviance.

Coola Yagami
08-20-2016, 12:41 AM
I could honestly care less. If something is 'big enough' I'm sure I can ask my co-workers if they heard about it. I'm sure I'll hear all about it at work before I even have the time to get home and turn on the computer. If not, then it's clearly not big enough news for me to care.

ssjup81
08-20-2016, 05:45 AM
No, I don't treat it like I urgently need to. I know it's not going anywhere and this is mostly the case with YouTube stuff I'm subscribed to. I watch stuff whenever.

As for message boards, I'm usually always MIA for a duration of time or lurk. This is the only one I go to regularly.

I definitely use the Internet less than I realize these days.

MsMarvelDuckie
08-20-2016, 11:32 AM
The only things I ever feel like I "need" to catch up on is the crazy s**t here, and my town(s) in FoE. I admit it- I've gotten hooked on that game. Mostly for the guild stuff and the events. Good time killer though.

sdp
09-03-2016, 10:15 PM
Not as obsessive as you describe it but it does happen to me sometimes like when I'm only online once a day but it's rare with smartphones now. However when I go on vacation or random roadtrip I can be gone for days without using any internet related services and realize how little I have to catch up with that is really important. I mean rumors and speculation that you can spend hours on on a lazy afternoon are not needed if said rumor thing happened by the time you finally get online again.

CyberCubed
09-03-2016, 11:14 PM
I never go a day without being on the internet. Its almost impossible in todays day and age. I think people spend way more time on the internet than they even realize or care to admit.

ssjup81
09-03-2016, 11:52 PM
I never go a day without being on the internet. Its almost impossible in todays day and age. I think people spend way more time on the internet than they even realize or care to admit.Or people have lives outside of the Internet.

My mother rarely uses the net outside of work as she hates the idea of getting on a computer when she works on one all day. My father uses it more, but mostly for YouTube videos and I guess using Kodi counts. They have that on the computer now instead of cable and have the comp connected to the television.

CyberCubed
09-04-2016, 01:36 AM
Or people have lives outside of the Internet.

My mother rarely uses the net outside of work as she hates the idea of getting on a computer when she works on one all day. My father uses it more, but mostly for YouTube videos and I guess using Kodi counts. They have that on the computer now instead of cable and have the comp connected to the television.

Well your parents grew up in an era where computers were not part of their lives growing up. That's understandable.

For our generation and younger, or at least people from the 80's, 90's, and 2000's, we're used to our everyday lives being in front of the computer.

ssjup81
09-04-2016, 06:32 AM
Well your parents grew up in an era where computers were not part of their lives growing up. That's understandable.jIt wasn't a part of mine either, and my mother has had a job where she had to type and stuff for over 40 years. Thirty-something of those years, she had to do her work on the computer.

My father uses the Internet for videos and that Kodi thing along with the other junk that all people use, such as e-mail.

Even for me, I don't use social media outside of Facebook and the main reason I even bothered to start using it was because I moved to Japan. I rarely ever used it when living stateside. I started using it and my mother bothered setting up an account for the sole purpose of keeping in touch with me. My aunts use internet stuff more than I do and they're from my parents' generation. For our generation and younger, or at least people from the 80's, 90's, and 2000's, we're used to our everyday lives being in front of the computer.I didn't grow up with a computer, kind of. My family had one (it was a present from my uncle), but we rarely used it. I used to use it to type out letters since it was easier than using our old typewriter. My mother used it when she went back to school or for when she brought work home.

My aunt gave us a diskette with some games, a demo of Monster Bash, Wolfenstein 3D, Tempest, Jeopardy, and one other game, but I don't remember the name.

Anyway, I didn't start using Internet until after I graduated high school, so no, I didn't "grow up with it". Everything I did growing up was offline stuff, like talking on the phone with friends, watching TV, playing my video games, reading, playing outside (this was mostly elementary school for me), etc.