PDA

View Full Version : Fan-Edits

Powder
08-17-2016, 03:20 PM
Are there any? I don't mean AMV's or joke dubs, I mean versions of the film(s) with certain scenes removed that either waste time, break the flow, have a terrible joke, plot holes, or generally distract from the turtles themselves. I'd really love to make one myself, to get rid of the crude humor, remove as much of the human nonsense as possible without hurting the plot, & alter some of the moments where the laws of physics are greatly abused. :tlol:

I think they could be a lot more enjoyable on a whole this way, maybe even with the two being cut together into one. Thoughts?

Jester
08-17-2016, 03:27 PM
I wonder if there's a way to weed both movies down to one good film....

Andrew NDB
08-17-2016, 03:51 PM
I've been pretty big into making fan-edits in my day... this one wouldn't be worth the time or the effort. And I'm a guy considering working on a NT:TNM edit.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-17-2016, 03:51 PM
Interesting proposal. I mean, no matter how much you do, you still can't get away from certain questionable aspects of the films.

But it could only help.

IndigoErth
08-17-2016, 04:28 PM
Well, some of the backstory would have to be assumed, but you could certainly take out the lab and hogosha stuff, let child April just turn into a separate child who dumped her pets for some reason, and cut to the flashback about them mutating and skip the book nonsense.

Andrew NDB
08-17-2016, 04:36 PM
Well, some of the backstory would have to be assumed, but you could certainly take out the lab and hogosha stuff, let child April just turn into a separate child who dumped her pets for some reason, and cut to the flashback about them mutating and skip the book nonsense.

I guess you could hypothetically edit in the actual origin story footage from TMNT 1990 and use it in TMNT 2014. Saki kills Yoshi (maybe rotoscope in a younger William Fichtner sort of presiding over it). Rat becomes Splinter. Turtles become Turtles. Edit out anything in the movie saying or showing otherwise.

TheSkeletonMan939
08-17-2016, 05:19 PM
I think the PD films are truly unsalvagable.

Andrew NDB
08-19-2016, 01:06 PM
I think the PD films are truly unsalvagable.

They are. I mean, barring rotoscoping the Turtles as they appear in the movie and replacing them with different CGI versions (ones that don't look like ass), removing whole characters... if you have the inclination (and time) to do so, you might as well just make your own Turtles movie at that point.

oldmanwinters
08-19-2016, 01:37 PM
I've been pretty big into making fan-edits in my day... this one wouldn't be worth the time or the effort. And I'm a guy considering working on a NT:TNM edit.

TNM could actually make for some decent flicks by eliminating all the filler stock-footage and incessant sound effects.

MikeandRaph87
08-19-2016, 02:04 PM
I wonder if there's a way to weed both movies down to one good film....

Don't know about the two PD films, but Ninja Turtles (1990) and Secret of The Ooze would work as it happened one right after the other timeline wise.

Next Mutation?:trazz: East Meets West and Unchain My Heart would work, but still the quality is abysmal.

Andrew NDB
08-19-2016, 02:15 PM
Don't know about the two PD films, but Ninja Turtles (1990) and Secret of The Ooze would work as it happened one right after the other timeline wise.

Next Mutation?:trazz: East Meets West and Unchain My Heart would work, but still the quality is abysmal.

You can do a lot with the footage. Changing the aspect ratio and trimming the tops and the bottoms (en-widescreening it), running some filters over it to boost it into 1080p, bringing the color palette over to more of the look and feel of the 1990 movie... way higher contrast, less saturation. Removing all sound effects and redoing all of the voices (to suit entirely different dialogue). Adding a few extra hits here and there with the help of CGI, some blood here and there.

It's possible. There could be a 90 minute movie in there that's a pretty decent TMNT sequel.

Jephael
08-19-2016, 04:02 PM
Here's a better idea: accept the movies for how they were made and move on with your lives!

Andrew NDB
08-19-2016, 04:06 PM
Here's a better idea: accept the movies for how they were made and move on with your lives!

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/a9/a99abdac727ddfc3646fe9b55d8b0f10c943f8e813bd1d84b9 102d0c48c09519.jpg

neatoman
08-19-2016, 04:10 PM
Well if someone ever finds the scrapped footage from the first one is ever found, someone could make the "Shredder wants to get stupid rich" cut as an alternative to the theatrical "Sacks and Shredder wants to get stupid rich" cut.

A cut of the second one I would recommend if cut scenes were found would be something like this:

Downplay Bebop and Rocksteady as much as possible
Cut out the "we could be humans" subplot
Cut the "Falcon" except for what's necessary, that is to say him taking the glory for defeating Shredder.
Cut April and Casey in jail.
And for the love of god, if you can find something that puts more emphasis on Krang and/or Shredder put that in, because the movie desperately needed some explaination for why they were doing anything throughout the entire movie. If no such footage exist, add a text crawl or something that fills in these gaps.

TigerClaw
08-19-2016, 04:32 PM
I 100% agree with that comment.

Fan-Edits are just that, versions of movies where the fans take out the parts they hate, and they are pretty much illegal, it's infringing on copyright.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-19-2016, 04:36 PM
You can do a lot with the footage. Changing the aspect ratio and trimming the tops and the bottoms (en-widescreening it), running some filters over it to boost it into 1080p, bringing the color palette over to more of the look and feel of the 1990 movie... way higher contrast, less saturation. Removing all sound effects and redoing all of the voices (to suit entirely different dialogue). Adding a few extra hits here and there with the help of CGI, some blood here and there.

It's possible. There could be a 90 minute movie in there that's a pretty decent TMNT sequel.

Hey Andrew, that reminds me... are you still moving forward on doing your own fan cut of Next Mutation?

EDIT: A dozen posts up; my bad. Question answered.

New question: where are you at on that?

Andrew NDB
08-19-2016, 04:59 PM
New question: where are you at on that?

Well, I did find a good video "source" for all the episodes. My computer is in the shop being beefed up, but I really can't work on anything until "Dark Places" is put to bed in post. The Highlander people are flying me to Florida to premiere it at the Highlander 30th Anniversary con and it's gotta be done and polished.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-19-2016, 05:00 PM
Well, I did find a good video "source" for all the episodes. My computer is in the shop being beefed up, but I really can't work on anything until "Dark Places" is put to bed in post. The Highlander people are flying me to Florida to premiere it at the Highlander 30th Anniversary con and it's gotta be done and polished.

Sorry, I know nothing of Highlander. Is Dark Place a Highlander fan film you've done?

Andrew NDB
08-19-2016, 05:04 PM
Sorry, I know nothing of Highlander. Is Dark Place a Highlander fan film you've done?

It's a long story, but it's a fully authorized, full-length "Highlander" film in the same universe as (most of) the films and the TV show. I even got one of the TV show actors to reprise a role in it.

http://www.facebook.com/highlanderdarkplaces

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-19-2016, 05:06 PM
It's a long story, but it's a fully authorized, full-length "Highlander" film in the same universe as (most of) the films and the TV show. I even got one of the TV show actors to reprise a role in it.

http://www.facebook.com/highlanderdarkplaces

Wow! So basically like TMNT Image Conclusion, but officially corporately endorsed?

Andrew NDB
08-19-2016, 05:07 PM
Wow! So basically like TMNT Image Conclusion, but officially corporately endorsed?

Yep, yep. But not really a "conclusion" of anything as much as just a sideways extension piece in this case.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-19-2016, 05:12 PM
Yep, yep. But not really a "conclusion" of anything as much as just a sideways extension piece in this case.

Very cool. Ever think of doing something Star Trek related?

Andrew NDB
08-19-2016, 05:18 PM
Very cool. Ever think of doing something Star Trek related?

I'd love to film a 29th Century Starfleet movie with the Temporal Division fixing the timeline. But no, not really. Just original stuff from now on, barring fun little side things that don't require much.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-19-2016, 05:25 PM
I'd love to film a 29th Century Starfleet movie with the Temporal Division fixing the timeline. But no, not really. Just original stuff from now on, barring fun little side things that don't require much.

Fixing the timeline in general or fixing the timeline to prevent/undo the Abrams movies? :tlol:

Andrew NDB
08-19-2016, 05:25 PM
Fixing the timeline in general or fixing the timeline to prevent/undo the Abrams movies? :tlol:

The latter. F that timeline.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-19-2016, 05:28 PM
The latter. F that timeline.

:tlol: You and me both...

Jephael
08-19-2016, 08:45 PM
Fan-Edits are just versions of movies where the fans take out the parts they hate, and they are pretty much illegal, it's infringing on copyright.

Couldn't have said it better myself. If you don't like what filmmakers or TV writers are doing with your beloved childhood characters, either
1. Write your own stories about them (i.e. fan fiction/fan films/fan comics) or
2. Come up with your own original characters and be sure to make some ground rules for what can and cannot be done with them.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-19-2016, 09:46 PM
Are there any? I don't mean AMV's or joke dubs, I mean versions of the film(s) with certain scenes removed that either waste time, break the flow, have a terrible joke, plot holes, or generally distract from the turtles themselves. I'd really love to make one myself, to get rid of the crude humor, remove as much of the human nonsense as possible without hurting the plot, & alter some of the moments where the laws of physics are greatly abused. :tlol:

I think they could be a lot more enjoyable on a whole this way, maybe even with the two being cut together into one. Thoughts?

I think when you suggest cutting the two into one, there's a good idea ready to happen. I haven't seen TMNT2:OOTS yet, so I'm not sure about

You still can't do anything about the general size and design (Teenage Mutant Hulking Turtles) but you could remove most of Casey and April, and hopefully as much as possible of Vern. Maybe insert the first movie's Shredder stuff between the sequel's Shredder breakout and the Krang showdown?

Basic flow in my mind would be:

Bebop and Rocksteady break Shredder out of custody
Turtles and April meet in the subway, April goes to Sachs/Shredder, who follows her to the sewers
Shredder tracks down the Turtles, captures them, Raph rescues his bros
They fight, the Turtles escape down the mountain
Shredder and Stockman make Bebop and Rocksteady mutants
All the Bebop/Rocksteady stuff
Krang showdown on the roof
Cut in the final Shredder rooftop fight, so Shredder doesn't go out like a punk to Krang.

Congratulations... we combined two bad movies into one hopefully slightly less bad movie?

Galactus
08-19-2016, 09:47 PM
I find it odd that someone can endorse fan fiction and yet be down on fan edits? Surely fan edits are just a sub section of fan fiction.

A text story or a comic published or otherwise is still infringing on copyright, you're taking still taking someone else's property. Now a big company is not going to bother pursuing people who do fan fiction because it isn't worth the trouble and would foster bad feelings with the fans but in principal it's the same.

As for the question at hand. You may get something passable out of the 2014 movie but Out of the Shadows is a lost cause. Sure you can cut the stupidest elements but what really tanks the movie is what is not there.

Even if you were a big Fred Wolf fan who wanted the movie to be a big cartoon or even a huge fan of Michael Bay movies and advocate turning your brain off and enjoying the big action scenes the movie doesn't have enough for either audience. At some point you wanted to see the turtles fight the Foot, have a battle with Bebop and Rocksteady that lasted more that a few seconds, have Shredder actually do something, have the battle with Krang be more than just dodging lasers. These aspects aren't easily fixed with fan-edits.

robb0226
08-20-2016, 09:46 AM
The whole time I was watching the second movie I was thinking this exact idea. I thought both movies were alright but perhaps that they could both be made into 1 good movie. Mixing the plots into 1 story, cutting out the crap, I think it could work.

thundermaster612
08-20-2016, 10:58 AM

Do it. Make the NT:TNM edit.

TheSkeletonMan939
08-20-2016, 11:23 AM
The question is, who would want to become so grossly intimate enough with the films to even MAKE a fan edit? Making one that splices the two films together requires learning every shot, every line, etc. of both.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-20-2016, 11:50 AM
The question is, who would want to become so grossly intimate enough with the films to even MAKE a fan edit? Making one that splices the two films together requires learning every shot, every line, etc. of both.

That is a very good, very frightening, point. Shivers!

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
08-20-2016, 10:57 PM
I find it odd that someone can endorse fan fiction and yet be down on fan edits? Surely fan edits are just a sub section of fan fiction.

I definitely agree with that. Now, if you're SELLING them to make a profit (or try to), that's a different matter.

But I've done fan edits for fun and for my own enjoyment (whether it be editing the workprint & theatrical versions to make my own version of the NC-17 cut of Hard Target, or joining all 3 Evil Dead films into one long flick, or a mix of the theatrical and unrated versions of Live Free or Die Hard, and so forth). They are entertaining, challenging, and satisfying to do.

Granted, usually one does it for films they love and want to 'tweak stuff' for their own personal enjoyment...

But I think it would be interesting to see someone take a crack of it. It's not like they would make it WORSE...

It'd be a challenge, and the more creative people do some Very Interesting things with them (for example, one called Jaws: The Sharksploitation Version).

Maybe someone will do an 'over the top/CGI blood' exploitation fan edit. Or a 'grindhouse' fan edit. Or a total goof/parody of it ala a Naked Gun/Hot Shot Part Deux edit of it. Who knows...but I would be extremely intrigued if anyone does happen to do it.

TheSkeletonMan939
08-21-2016, 08:57 AM
I enjoy dabbling in fan edits too.
My magnum opus is combining nearly all the "Justice League Unlimited" episodes in the Cadmus story arc into one long, awesome film.

Maybe someone will do an 'over the top/CGI blood' exploitation fan edit. Or a 'grindhouse' fan edit. Or a total goof/parody of it ala a Naked Gun/Hot Shot Part Deux edit of it. Who knows...but I would be extremely intrigued if anyone does happen to do it.

I like this idea! Instead of an honest attempt at "fixing" the films, someone should try to make them worse, but in a humorous way, not an annoying one.

ZariusTwo
08-28-2016, 10:10 AM
I've done a few FW TMNT edits and have thought about doing a trim for the 2014 movie, but never pushed hard enough, and now my movie maker is on the fritz presently so I've had to shelf a lot of projects.

I'd like to try it though. I did use music from OOTS with 2014 movie footage as a test.

Chris
08-28-2016, 07:26 PM
This thread has seriously made me wonder if you could mash up the two into one, cut all the origin stuff and treat it as a loose sequel to the first 4 movies.

Sure you'd have to ignore stuff like the different Turtle designs, different voices for Leo, different actors for Shredder and Karai, but I think it could actually be done. Still probably wouldn't be good but maybe a better whole than the 2 parts.

If I was any good at video editing I might consider it but I wouldn't even know where to start!

Powder
08-28-2016, 07:30 PM
This thread has seriously made me wonder if you could mash up the two into one, cut all the origin stuff and treat it as a loose sequel to the first 4 movies.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Y_ODcECzxGQ/T4sMKffGa8I/AAAAAAAAA88/LnQ8Dvynqbg/s1600/michael-scott-no.gif

Chris
08-28-2016, 07:35 PM
Yeah that idea probably deserved that response :tlol:

The-Shredder
09-03-2016, 07:23 PM
Someone attempted to do a mashup with the 4Kids series and The Next Mutation. It actually works pretty well here.

rVe7mc59HDg

AlZarkovski
09-06-2016, 11:10 AM
_ac8xKxeqzk