PDA

View Full Version : TMNT #61 Preview & Discussion

AlZarkovski
08-18-2016, 08:10 AM
Released: 08/24/16.
Preview tomorrow.

First 3 pages:
http://a2.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Purple41/v4/d3/94/6a/d3946a13-b0bf-8d2b-d0e1-2aecaf112952/screen480x480.jpeghttp://a5.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Purple71/v4/ed/83/03/ed830331-e619-29ad-cf0e-f6a64e5288f3/screen480x480.jpeghttp://a4.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Purple62/v4/4b/f9/56/4bf956bf-9cc9-e609-813f-f2cabe43e54d/screen480x480.jpeg

MikeandRaph87
08-18-2016, 09:32 AM
This arc has potential. I got 2003 cartoon vibes looking at that. Previews a day earlier than usual? It will make the wait for next Wednesday harder, it I welcome it.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-18-2016, 09:41 AM
Is that a taser bo?

Neat.

ChosenOne
08-18-2016, 12:59 PM
Yes! The month-long wait for new issues is almost over! Twice the goodness from now on, too! :D

The Happy One
08-18-2016, 01:14 PM
Man, I'm so excited for this arc! And getting two comics a month?!

I feel spoiled again:lol:

Can't wait to see what these Street Phantoms bring to the table

neatoman
08-18-2016, 01:15 PM
Is that a taser bo?

Neat.

At first I thought you wrote "taser bro".

QkkLUP-gm4Q

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-18-2016, 01:19 PM
At first I thought you wrote "taser bro".

QkkLUP-gm4Q

LOL. It looks like they're paying homage to Donny's FastForward bo, although I don't remember if it did electric zaps or not. I didn't really bother watching that season...

(Countdown to Cubed coming in and telling me how great it was...)

Eiko
08-18-2016, 11:04 PM
This comic just keeps getting better and better.

ProphetofGanja
08-19-2016, 12:46 PM
real preview here (http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/exclusive-preview-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-61/1100-155961/)

looking forward to seeing the story with the Street Phantoms go somewhere interesting, what the extent of their relationship with Dun is and what his endgame is, all that

can't wait to see what all Harold has been up to too

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-19-2016, 12:50 PM
Looks like Harold's been busy. :tgrin:

So basically, Don and Angel attend a rave? Glowsticks for everyone!

Jephael
08-19-2016, 03:24 PM
Man, I am psyched for this one! I gotta admit, I'm getting kinda sick of the whole Foot Clan plot, so it's a nice change of pace seeing the TMNT deal with some different villains.

ChosenOne
08-19-2016, 03:29 PM
Man, I am psyched for this one! I gotta admit, I'm getting kinda sick of the whole Foot Clan plot, so it's a nice change of pace seeing the TMNT deal with some different villains.

Don't look too closely at the solicitation for this issue and the rest of the arc, or you'll scream.

When it comes to the Pantheon plot, yeah, right there with you.

The Happy One
08-19-2016, 04:10 PM
I agree, a nice break sounds nice right about now. I love the Pantheon but this feels so fresh. Some new air to breathe in for now.

Anyone know when the Pantheon story picks up again, though?

CyberCubed
08-19-2016, 04:15 PM
I imagine the Street Phantoms are just filling the void that The Savate filled in the first 2 years of IDW, just another rival gang for the Foot Clan to contend with. Only this time they're established characters and the Turtles are in the Foot Clan.

I'm more curious to learn about Darius Dun, I keep forgetting he's even in this series. Is he from the future? Is he related to Casey (uncle, step uncle?), what does he want?

ChosenOne
08-19-2016, 04:48 PM
I agree, a nice break sounds nice right about now. I love the Pantheon but this feels so fresh. Some new air to breathe in for now.

Anyone know when the Pantheon story picks up again, though?

Not for another six months, at least. Chasing Phantoms will take us to the end of the year, then there's the Christmas issue, the Alopex issue, and then a Mutanimals arc after that... So it's more like 8 to 10 months of Pantheon-free stories, really.

Of course, I expect them to pop up in small ways here and there, and there's always Universe, but there are bigger fish for the Turtles to fry coming up.

The Happy One
08-19-2016, 05:19 PM
Not for another six months, at least. Chasing Phantoms will take us to the end of the year, then there's the Christmas issue, the Alopex issue, and then a Mutanimals arc after that... So it's more like 8 to 10 months of Pantheon-free stories, really.

Of course, I expect them to pop up in small ways here and there, and there's always Universe, but there are bigger fish for the Turtles to fry coming up.

Oh, okay�� wow 10 months- that is a pretty nice break to focus on other plot points. And I do enjoy the Mutanimals.

I wonder if they're going to touch on April and Casey for a brief moment?? I was left hanging there with them at least.

Oh and thanks for the info by the way!

ChosenOne
08-19-2016, 05:22 PM
Oh, okay�� wow 10 months- that is a pretty nice break to focus on other plot points. And I do enjoy the Mutanimals.

I wonder if they're going to touch on April and Casey for a brief moment?? I was left hanging there with them at least.

Oh and thanks for the info by the way!

No problem! I'm just as glad as you that other corners of the universe (heh) will be in the spotlight soon.

And I do believe from reading the solicitations that April and Casey, or at least Casey, will feature heavily in Chasing Phantoms.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-19-2016, 05:24 PM
No problem! I'm just as glad as you that other corners of the universe (heh) will be in the spotlight soon.

And I do believe from reading the solicitations that April and Casey, or at least Casey, will feature heavily in Chasing Phantoms.

And THAT makes me wonder if we might see Hun pop up...?

spookycookies
08-19-2016, 07:09 PM
I'm more curious to learn about Darius Dun, I keep forgetting he's even in this series. Is he from the future? Is he related to Casey (uncle, step uncle?), what does he want?

Oh man can you imagine if ALL of Casey's living family are gang leaders?

Wait.... Hun.... Dun.... No this is too perfect. IS THIS REAL?

In all seriousness if this Arc is going to bring Casey back as somebody who is hanging with the Turtles I hope he comes out of it at a higher point than he's been lately. Kid has had a rough time in this book.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-19-2016, 07:52 PM
Oh man can you imagine if ALL of Casey's living family are gang leaders?

Wait.... Hun.... Dun.... No this is too perfect. IS THIS REAL?

In all seriousness if this Arc is going to bring Casey back as somebody who is hanging with the Turtles I hope he comes out of it at a higher point than he's been lately. Kid has had a rough time in this book.

Back when FastForward was airing, I had a conspiracy theory that we'd find out that Darius Dun and Hun were somehow connected... whether an ancestor or Hun under a new name somehow traveling to the future...

I mean, you don't spell "Dunn" with only one "N" without a darn good reason...

CyberCubed
08-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Jammerhead called the characters "Mooks" in FF too. Although I'm pretty sure none of the other phantoms ever had names in the show like Turk or Maze. They were just nameless grunts.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-24-2016, 10:43 AM
A lot of setup in this issue, but that's not a bad thing. I'm quite curious to see where this all goes.

I think my favorite thing about this issue is all the new character dynamics we're getting: Don and Angel, Mike and Leo, Raph and Angel, Splinter and Casey...

What is Splinter going to ask Casey to do? I can't help but feel it will involve Hun in some way... maybe bringing Hun back into the Foot? Right now doesn't seem like a good time to KILL Hun, which is what it seems Casey is thinking about...

Ugh. I really hate the Raph/Alopex thing. Still, Raph and Angel going to Alaska to bring her back? That sounds interesting.

Mikey and Leo going at it was unexpected. I liked it a lot. They both make good points... I really think they're both in the right and wrong at the same time.

CyberCubed
08-24-2016, 01:36 PM
Hm, yeah, this issue was basically one big set-up and recap issue. The whole part with them talking about everything they did recently reminded me of those clip shows in TV episodes where they would just talk and then a giant flashback every so often would show an older episode. If this was an episode of a cartoon I'd expect it would be filled with 3-4 minute flashbacks after every character finished what they were saying. :lol:

I did like the brief fight with the Phantoms at the beginning of the issue though.

All in all not much to say, but I'm glad we'll finally be learning what Darius is up to in this series. I still wonder if he's related to Casey like he was in Fast Forward, of if he's from the future or something.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-24-2016, 01:50 PM
Hm, yeah, this issue was basically one big set-up and recap issue. The whole part with them talking about everything they did recently reminded me of those clip shows in TV episodes where they would just talk and then a giant flashback every so often would show an older episode. If this was an episode of a cartoon I'd expect it would be filled with 3-4 minute flashbacks after every character finished what they were saying. :lol:

Eh, I think you're being a little harsh there. It doesn't feel clipshow at all... just like that prerequisite setup stuff. But it also really did feel like a war room meeting... THAT was cool. Haven't seen a TMNT war council in quite some time.

ProphetofGanja
08-24-2016, 02:33 PM
This felt like exactly what I needed from my TMNT at the moment.

Granted, like Cubed said, it did come off as a recap/set-up issue, but I think it did an excellent job of reminding old readers what's happened and informing new ones, reaffirming the strange new status quo with Splinter as the head of the Foot and Mikey on the outs. This issue definitely pumped my hype level back up, I'm very curious to see what goes on with Dun and the Street Phantoms and Harold's old flame (I don't want to wait another month to find out what happens to Harold, dammit!)

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-24-2016, 02:40 PM
I'm thinking that Harold's old flame is a new character and not, as some of us previously wondered, a pre-horns Null.

Y'know, Dun and Harold are drawn a little similarly... coincidence?

CyberCubed
08-24-2016, 02:43 PM

I think that's just the specific artist of this issue, they don't look similar in previous issues with different artists.

I'm kind of surprised no mention of the Utroms or Fugitoid were made in the issue though. I don't remember but did Fugitoid ever rebuild his body? The Utroms are also now all on Burnow Island without any major supervision. For all the Turtles know they could let loose Ch'rell or try to find Krang.

neatoman
08-24-2016, 02:52 PM
I'm thinking that Harold's old flame is a new character and not, as some of us previously wondered, a pre-horns Null.

Maybe they just go to the same barber.

Ah yes, something to add here (quite a bit later) is that I like this direction with Mike here, it makes sense for the character who is typically presented as the "happy one" to have problems with the darker aspects of the people around him.

CyberCubed
08-24-2016, 05:14 PM
Michelangelo is the next big Turtle arc.

Raph being lost and having to find his way home to his brothers was the first one, then the whole Dark Leo arc was basically Leonardo's as well as the aftermath that affected him and Splinter, Don's arc was him getting his shell smashed and then being in Metalhead's body, and now its Michelangelo's arc of being at odds with his father and the Foot Clan.

Each Turtle essentially got one big arc during that specific rounds of issues.

Ninjinister
08-25-2016, 01:15 AM

Are you insinuating that Dun had a sex change and chose to look like Harold?

Dun wouldn't need tech stolen if he were The Inventor, anyway. He'd just make it.

myconius
08-25-2016, 06:39 AM
Michelangelo is the next big Turtle arc.

Raph being lost and having to find his way home to his brothers was the first one, then the whole Dark Leo arc was basically Leonardo's as well as the aftermath that affected him and Splinter, Don's arc was him getting his shell smashed and then being in Metalhead's body, and now its Michelangelo's arc of being at odds with his father and the Foot Clan.

Each Turtle essentially got one big arc during that specific rounds of issues.

yeah i felt the series was going to put a lot of focus on Michelangelo this time around.
but what's funny is when the series chooses to focus one one turtle to the next, it's always some sort of turmoil or major tragedy.
never really an uplifting focus like Michelangelo gets tired of his family chastising his awful cooking, so he tries to figure out a way he can sneak in on culinary classes.
i don't know about anybody else? but that's a story i'd enjoy reading! :D

The Happy One
08-25-2016, 07:03 AM
yeah i felt the series was going to put a lot of focus on Michelangelo this time around.
but what's funny is when the series chooses to focus one one turtle to the next, it's always some sort of turmoil or major tragedy.
never really an uplifting focus like Michelangelo gets tired of his family chastising his awful cooking, so he tries to figure out a way he can sneak in on culinary classes.
i don't know about anybody else? but that's a story i'd enjoy reading! :D

You know what I'm down for that!

No tragedy for this kid please; just some cooking classes and maybe a little aroebics and yoga on the side. He just integrates himself into society!

myconius
08-25-2016, 07:49 AM
You know what I'm down for that!

No tragedy for this kid please; just some cooking classes and maybe a little aroebics and yoga on the side. He just integrates himself into society!

i see Mikey as more of a Zumba kind of Turtle?

maybe some dance arobics? :D

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-25-2016, 08:59 AM
Are you insinuating that Dun had a sex change and chose to look like Harold?

Dun wouldn't need tech stolen if he were The Inventor, anyway. He'd just make it.

No, I'm implying that maybe Harold and Dun are related some way, not that Dun and the Inventor are the same person. They're obviously not; we've even had Dun refer to the Inventor.

MikeandRaph87
08-25-2016, 09:32 AM
No, I'm implying that maybe Harold and Dun are related some way, not that Dun and the Inventor are the same person. They're obviously not; we've even had Dun refer to the Inventor.

Darius Dunn and Lady Null are siblings? Its like Star Wars all humans or similar beings are related. :P

Raphael and Angel go to Alaska to fetch Alopex in #65. They will be off panel until Christmas or will we cut to them before the Alopex centered issue at the year's end?

I squeezed the issue in before going to bed due to a busy schedule so I probably missed it, but what was Casey Jones's mission?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-25-2016, 09:41 AM
Darius Dunn and Lady Null are siblings? Its like Star Wars all humans or similar beings are related. :P

Raphael and Angel go to Alaska to fetch Alopex in #65. They will be off panel until Christmas or will we cut to them before the Alopex centered issue at the year's end?

I squeezed the issue in before going to bed due to a busy schedule so I probably missed it, but what was Casey Jones's mission?

In a previous post, I said I'm no longer a proponent of the theory that Null is Harold's former partner. I mean, it could happen, but I'm no longer so sure this is where we're going... I'm thinking OC.

Casey's mission has not been revealed yet.

The Happy One
08-25-2016, 01:42 PM
i see Mikey as more of a Zumba kind of Turtle?

maybe some dance arobics? :D

Ooooh good thinking! I could see him in Zumba classes:lol:

ProphetofGanja
08-25-2016, 02:06 PM
yes yes I agree with Mikey doing zumba. it's the perfect high-energy workout routine for him lol

Ninjinister
08-25-2016, 02:44 PM

Oh well you kind of didn't segue from one thought to the other so it made it seem like it was the same one.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-25-2016, 03:04 PM
Oh well you kind of didn't segue from one thought to the other so it made it seem like it was the same one.

Eh, if you'd read all of my comments in this thread I think it wouldn't have been quite so confusing. :tlol:

No biggie.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-25-2016, 03:17 PM
NEW PREDICTION:

I think I figured out what Casey's mission from Splinter is...

Casey will take over leadership of the Purple Dragons now that Hun is AWOL (last seen with the Mutanimals), in order to bring them back under the Foot's control.)

CyberCubed
08-25-2016, 03:41 PM
Hm, so I suppose that Alopex-centered issue coming up later this year will be Raph/Angel tracking her down in Alaska. Hopefully it only takes one issue and not dragged out over an arc.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-25-2016, 03:47 PM
Hm, so I suppose that Alopex-centered issue coming up later this year will be Raph/Angel tracking her down in Alaska. Hopefully it only takes one issue and not dragged out over an arc.

Pretty sure it's one issue only.

#61-64 "Chasing Phantoms"
#65 Alopex
#66 Christmas Special
#67-xx Bishop/Mutanimals (I'm pretty sure)

CyberCubed
08-25-2016, 03:49 PM
Ah so that makes sense. The Christmas issue will probably have everyone reunited and happy again after this arc ends.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-25-2016, 03:54 PM
Ah so that makes sense. The Christmas issue will probably have everyone reunited and happy again after this arc ends.

No... I wouldn't count on it.

Not given what's looming for Splinter and his sons.

ChosenOne
08-25-2016, 04:06 PM
Doesn't the Christmas special come out before the Alopex issue? I thought it was supposed to be #65, and then Alopex in #66?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-25-2016, 04:09 PM
Doesn't the Christmas special come out before the Alopex issue? I thought it was supposed to be #65, and then Alopex in #66?

Is that the order? I already forgot. :trazz:

funatic
08-25-2016, 05:32 PM

No... I wouldn't count on it.

Not given what's looming for Splinter and his sons.

Maybe we'll get an echo of Mirage's Michelangelo Christmas micro. Mikey off on his own - maybe Pepperoni in place of Klunk? :trazz:

myconius
08-25-2016, 05:32 PM
Ooooh good thinking! I could see him in Zumba classes:lol:

yes yes I agree with Mikey doing zumba. it's the perfect high-energy workout routine for him lol

yeah i can definitely see Mikey doing Zumba!!

he'd possibly be into Jazzercise too, if he wasn't afraid his brothers giving him hell for it? :lol:

http://www.refinedguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/aerobics-dance.gif

MikeandRaph87
08-25-2016, 08:21 PM
NEW PREDICTION:

I think I figured out what Casey's mission from Splinter is...

Casey will take over leadership of the Purple Dragons now that Hun is AWOL (last seen with the Mutanimals), in order to bring them back under the Foot's control.)

Perhaps that is it. A fight with Dragonface for leadership!?

ZacksSoUgly
08-26-2016, 02:00 AM
I absolutely loved this issue. The brief action scene in the beginning with Donnie and Angel testing their new tech kicked things off nicely, but that war room scene was incredible! I loved that it was a slow-paced, dialogue heavy, character driven issue. Splinter sharing information and delegating assignments/tasks was really cool, and the argument between Mikey and Leo was done really well.

I love the angle they're taking with Mikey here and I can't wait to see where it goes. The Street Phantoms are cool bad guys and it's cool that it seems Harold will involved/important - but I'm really hyped on the idea of Mikey not seeing eye to eye with his family and where that could lead the team. I didn't expect to like this issue this much.

spookycookies
08-26-2016, 06:29 PM
They stole some cloaks from the Street Phantoms in #51? Maybe Casey's mission is to infiltrate the Phantoms... Watch they grab Jammer and insert Casey, but he gets caught when he doesn't use the "classic" limbo.

DrSpengler
08-26-2016, 09:27 PM
Here's my full summary and review of TMNT #61 at TMNT Entity. (http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2016/08/tmnt-idw-61.html)

This was one of those "jumping-on point" issues. A necessary evil, I know, though it was still mostly recap and setup with a scant bit of legitimate content as a bookend.

I am looking forward to the Chasing Phantoms arc, though, especially to see how they rework Darius Dun for this continuity. I loved the exhausted look Wachter drew into the eyes of the Turtles; it made sense considering the string of taxing battles they just finished. His art in general has been very nice (and Pattison's colors continue to be great, but that goes without saying).

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-26-2016, 09:40 PM
Here's my full summary and review of TMNT #61 at TMNT Entity. (http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2016/08/tmnt-idw-61.html)

This was one of those "jumping-on point" issues. A necessary evil, I know, though it was still mostly recap and setup with a scant bit of legitimate content as a bookend.

I am looking forward to the Chasing Phantoms arc, though, especially to see how they rework Darius Dun for this continuity. I loved the exhausted look Wachter drew into the eyes of the Turtles; it made sense considering the string of taxing battles they just finished. His art in general has been very nice (and Pattison's colors continue to be great, but that goes without saying).

Michelangelo would indeed understand. :tlol:

CyberCubed
08-26-2016, 09:45 PM
It'll also be interesting to see what they do with Jennika/Jenny. As of now its kind of hard to get a read on her character, she just seems sorry for attacking Splinter. Its hard to pinpoint what role her character is supposed to play or what they intend to do with her. She seems kinda just there at the moment.

But then again in the first year of the series if you said Angel would eventually become Nobody, that would have seemed crazy as well. So maybe Jennika has some major character arc too.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-26-2016, 09:49 PM
It'll also be interesting to see what they do with Jennika/Jenny. As of now its kind of hard to get a read on her character, she just seems sorry for attacking Splinter. Its hard to pinpoint what role her character is supposed to play or what they intend to do with her. She seems kinda just there at the moment.

But then again in the first year of the series if you said Angel would eventually become Nobody, that would have seemed crazy as well. So maybe Jennika has some major character arc too.

Agreed. At the moment, we haven't seen a huge need for Jennika's character. She's been interesting, sure, but I doubt any of us are hugely invested in her yet. More of a "wait and see I guess" attitude than a "heck yeah she rocks!" attitude.

MikeandRaph87
08-26-2016, 09:55 PM
Agreed. At the moment, we haven't seen a huge need for Jennika's character. She's been interesting, sure, but I doubt any of us are hugely invested in her yet. More of a "wait and see I guess" attitude than a "heck yeah she rocks!" attitude.

I don't trust her. She may have been misguided,but she did try to kill Splinter! Sure there are those that walk the line like Old Hob and those who have fully reformed like Alopex,but Jenika? The jury is still out.

Could it be possible that she executes Darius Dunn by Splinter's order?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-26-2016, 10:02 PM
I don't trust her. She may have been misguided,but she did try to kill Splinter! Sure there are those that walk the line like Old Hob and those who have fully reformed like Alopex,but Jenika? The jury is still out.

Could it be possible that she executes Darius Dunn by Splinter's order?

OH MAN. Of course! The Foot will use her to gain access to Dun again, and then they'll execute him. And this will lead to the Turtles' break from Splinter and the Foot.

I think you just figured it out three months early, man! :twink:

ChosenOne
08-26-2016, 10:11 PM
I think it's inevitable that this arc ends with Splinter ordering an act of bloodshed against the Clan's enemies, but I'd rather it be Jammer and the other two than Dun. He seems like he has some potential still, I mean, we've only seen the guy for two or three "scenes"... Why kill him off so soon?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-26-2016, 10:14 PM
I think it's inevitable that this arc ends with Splinter ordering an act of bloodshed against the Clan's enemies, but I'd rather it be Jammer and the other two than Dun. He seems like he has some potential still, I mean, we've only seen the guy for two or three "scenes"... Why kill him off so soon?

You make a fair point. Execute all of the Phantoms, seize Dun's corporate and financial assets, leave the man himself humbled, bankrupt, and alone...

Ninjinister
08-26-2016, 11:06 PM
I feel like some chapter in the future (probably not the next one but maybe after Chasing Phantoms) should have everyone, regardless of what happened previously, just having a well-earned sleep.

MikeandRaph87
08-26-2016, 11:37 PM
Haha. Thanks! I am convinced Splinter will change his stance and see bloodshed as the only way to keep a hold on the underworld and the Street Phantoms will become the victims. Will it be Darius Dunn or both? Probably the Street Phantoms due to what was said above.Darius probably has a bit more plot if he is connected to the Harold Llija/ female ex-partner plot. Jenika/Jenny seems to be the perfect fodder to act on Splinter's order and bring Jenika's story full circle from killing her master to killing for him.

The Street Phantoms are to Splinter as fodder to show a worthy obstacle on the path of dominating the NYC underworld as the Savate were to Shredder as fodder to show a worth obstacle path of dominating the NYC underworld.

ToTheNines
08-27-2016, 01:15 PM
Yeah, this bored me to tears. Jennika still bores me. I enjoyed the throwback to the beginning of City Fall with the Debana waza/ketsugi men lesson. Don't know if that was meant to hold any significance or not... but Splinter taught Leo about it the night he was captured and brainwashed.

Gimme TMNT Universe!

Utrommaniac
08-27-2016, 01:39 PM
It seems like this is pretty much going to be a "Mikey Arch/Splinter Corruption" mish-mash.

Of course the only interesting thing happening was Harold getting kidnapped at the end.

spookycookies
08-27-2016, 02:37 PM
I feel like Universe is really coming in at a good time. We have all these characters and we frankly need more pages to explore them all and let them shine. Yeah I felt a little bored with this issue because I feel like it was simply repeating what we already knew about. I AM glad to see that Mikey is still against the Foot Clan no matter who is leading it, and that there is room for Casey Jones at the table.

Joey Kamikaze
08-29-2016, 08:55 PM
I liked this one well enough just because it finally got the main cast all up to speed on things we readers have pieced together the past year, and it set up the next arcs pretty well (so obviously we're getting a Raph-Angel-Alopex arc in coming issues, for example).

Glad to see Mikey sticking to his guns continuing to be a thing too. It's hard being an idealist with a backbone, heh.

liugeaux
09-01-2016, 11:26 AM
Ok, I think it eneviable that Jenny dies protecting Splinter. That would bring her character full circle and give Splinter a meaningful reason to disband/leave the foot clan. Because really, does anyone think this TMNT/foot clan setup will be permanent? I sure don't.

This issue was good, but I much prefer when the turtles are dealing with cosmic stuff, and it seems like it might be a while before that happens again.

CyberCubed
09-01-2016, 01:31 PM
Ok, I think it eneviable that Jenny dies protecting Splinter. That would bring her character full circle and give Splinter a meaningful reason to disband/leave the foot clan..

Seems like a waste to introduce a new character and to kill her off so quickly, we barely know anything about Jennika yet. If anything I'd say she'll be around till issue 100.

Powder
09-01-2016, 02:50 PM
I feel like Mike is being a big pussy. I mean, it's their universe, they decide his personality, but it's way over the top for him IMO. A little resistance, maybe, but to completely underestimate the weight of their circumstances & throw little fits about staying out of trouble? Nah. It's common sense that they'd have to tie up loose ends after bumping off Shredder, it's foolish to think you could just "chill" while all these other creeps are picking up the slack.

Everything else is goin' swimmingly. Love Dave Watcher's art, too.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-01-2016, 03:25 PM
I feel like Mike is being a big pussy. I mean, it's their universe, they decide his personality, but it's way over the top for him IMO. A little resistance, maybe, but to completely underestimate the weight of their circumstances & throw little fits about staying out of trouble? Nah. It's common sense that they'd have to tie up loose ends after bumping off Shredder, it's foolish to think you could just "chill" while all these other creeps are picking up the slack.

Everything else is goin' swimmingly. Love Dave Watcher's art, too.

I hear ya. Splinter's war council against the Phantoms should not be as offensive to Mikey as Shredder's decapitation or taking over the Foot.

Maybe Mikey gets a little wiser and toughens up by the end of his character arc? Realizes that you have to defend yourselves and sometimes even preemptively?

Powder
09-01-2016, 10:18 PM
I would imagine that's the case, but if we can see it coming (especially through arguably out of character means) why even do it? If need be, I think you could establish his softer nature through more subtle & poignant means. I do very much appreciate that they're making use of him in ways beyond being the goofball, as that's a respect his character greatly deserves, but he's really blowing it all out of proportion. Disappointment I could see, but defiance, reckless abandon, ignorance, unrealistic ideals? Eh.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-02-2016, 09:40 AM
I would imagine that's the case, but if we can see it coming (especially through arguably out of character means) why even do it? If need be, I think you could establish his softer nature through more subtle & poignant means. I do very much appreciate that they're making use of him in ways beyond being the goofball, as that's a respect his character greatly deserves, but he's really blowing it all out of proportion. Disappointment I could see, but defiance, reckless abandon, ignorance, unrealistic ideals? Eh.

How did you feel about Mikey's reaction to Splinter taking over the Foot? Believable or not?

Powder
09-02-2016, 04:09 PM
I kinda like the idea of him being skeptical or low key against it, but even that was OTT for my taste. Him going off to think things over in the Mutanimals company was dope though!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-02-2016, 09:45 PM
I kinda like the idea of him being skeptical or low key against it, but even that was OTT for my taste. Him going off to think things over in the Mutanimals company was dope though!

I did love the "Mikey and the Mutanimals" arc.

I think Sally was the one most on point in that story. She doesn't have a problem with Hob using Hun per se; she has a problem with Hob using Hun and not discussing the plan with the entire Mutanimals crew.

And you know that there's something wrong when Old Hob is closer to being right than Michelangelo is...