PDA

View Full Version : Do you exercise? If so, how often?

Prowler
08-18-2016, 01:16 PM
Exercise is good for you. But not everyone does it. In fact, plenty of people are not very physically active these days considering we live in a time where computers and electronics devices in general are bigger than ever.
I'm thinking of going back to the gym. Haven't been there in a year or so and could use some extra weight. My body atm looks like a long distance runner's. Skinny, but you can tell I have muscle there, including soem abs, since I pretty much have 0 body fat :lol:

I do spend too much time indoors and was never a sports person when I was a kid/teenager. Always struggled in Gym class.

What about you? Do you exercise? How often? And in case you practice a sport, which is it? How long have you been doing it? And how did you come up with the decision of getting into it?

blindturtle02
08-18-2016, 03:09 PM
I do, but have only been doing the cardio thing for about a year now. Scale said I was around 200 a year ago, so I decided some changes had to be made. I've recently reached 140 lbs and will maintain this weight. I've never been a fan of weight lifting, so I stick with the stationary bike and treadmill about five days a week. I watch-- or listen to in my case, about an hour or hour and twenty min block of animated stuff to help pass the time.The WII Star Wars Lightsaber Duels game has helped a lot too. So has baked chicken, fruits, and veggies every day. I do allow myself a meal every two or so weeks consisting of things like a burger, fried chicken tenders, pizza, etc, but that's it outside of the holidays and my birthday.

IndigoErth
08-18-2016, 03:10 PM
Exercise? What's that? :tlol: At best, I think having a pretty active job would have to count. While I never exactly had the interest in exercising, I can't say this job leaves me with the energy for it anyhow.

plastroncafe
08-18-2016, 03:15 PM
Don't own a car and you'll find yourself exercising daily.
I commute to work by bike and have a daily yoga routine.

Though...if I focused more on the latter than the former I wouldn't have had to take some time off to tend to my ankles.

Always stretch. Always.

TheSkeletonMan939
08-18-2016, 03:18 PM
I don't exercise.

t2mU6USTBRE

:lol: ... okay, I'm not fat or overweight, but I'm a little chubby. If I ever do start putting on weight, I hope I'll have the motivation and foresight to start doing some push-ups.

Prowler
08-18-2016, 03:20 PM
I do, but have only been doing the cardio thing for about a year now. Scale said I was around 200 a year ago, so I decided some changes had to be made. I've recently reached 140 lbs and will maintain this weight. I've never been a fan of weight lifting, so I stick with the stationary bike and treadmill about five days a week. I watch-- or listen to in my case, about an hour or hour and twenty min block of animated stuff to help pass the time.The WII Star Wars Lightsaber Duels game has helped a lot too. So has baked chicken, fruits, and veggies every day. I do allow myself a meal every two or so weeks consisting of things like a burger, fried chicken tenders, pizza, etc, but that's it outside of the holidays and my birthday.
I find cardio so boring. Weightlifting is more my thing and boosts my ego.

Exercise? What's that? :tlol: At best, I think having a pretty active job would have to count. While I never exactly had the interest in exercising, I can't say this job leaves me with the energy for it anyhow.
My first job required me to walk all the time, thus making me lose weight.

Don't own a car and you'll find yourself exercising daily.
I commute to work by bike and have a daily yoga routine.

Though...if I focused more on the latter than the former I wouldn't have had to take some time off to tend to my ankles.

Always stretch. Always.
I dont' own a car. So yeah, I walk a lot. Thing is, I don't need to lose weight at all. On the contrary.

ToTheNines
08-18-2016, 03:27 PM
I broke my ankle in a mosh pit at an Every Time I Die show in Baltimore last December, so not much anymore.

I do climb for work almost every day, that can be strenuous. Especially 1000 ft.+ days.

Prowler
08-18-2016, 03:45 PM
I broke my ankle in a mosh pit at an Every Time I Die show in Baltimore last December, so not much anymore.

I do climb for work almost every day, that can be strenuous. Especially 1000 ft.+ days.
And your ankle hasn't fully healed yet?

ToTheNines
08-18-2016, 03:51 PM
Hell no. Walk with a limp like an old school pimp.

Prowler
08-18-2016, 03:53 PM
Hell no. Walk with a limp like an old school pimp.
I hope I never break an ankle or a knee. Seems like a pain in the ass.

ToTheNines
08-18-2016, 04:01 PM
It was only a chip, too. I probably shouldn't have left physical therapy early, but I literally couldn't afford to miss another day of work.

Prowler
08-18-2016, 04:04 PM
Doesn't that make it harder for you to climb up tall towers?

ToTheNines
08-18-2016, 04:06 PM
Not really, luckily. Every now and then, depending on what type of ladder/pegs are there and what kind of crap is in the way it will hurt to climb down. But I just favor my right side.

plastroncafe
08-18-2016, 04:13 PM
Oooh that's a pretty scan.
(Says the person with a background in A&P/osteology)

Candy Kappa
08-18-2016, 04:18 PM
I try to bike to work since the bus is a real hassle in my area, but. My bike hates me and regularly something is wrong with it.

I also walk my dog, usually 2-3 hour walks.

I really should get back into martial arts, I do miss it. But my sword school have changed location, day of the week we train on and the time. Used to be Tuesday, 18:00-20:00. Now it's Saturday, 10:00-12:00. And I work on a lot of Saturdays. I tried a bit last year, but misremembering so much stuff and most of the students are new people was a bit daunting.

Electric
08-18-2016, 06:13 PM
I lift 3 times a week and do cardio twice a week. Honestly, the gym is kinda relaxing for me. Headphones in and weights or miles to focus on, and I feel refreshed

Powder
08-18-2016, 06:20 PM
I exercise my mind... :tlol:

ToTheNines
08-18-2016, 06:24 PM
Oooh that's a pretty scan.
(Says the person with a background in A&P/osteology)

So should I still be limping?

plastroncafe
08-18-2016, 06:37 PM
So should I still be limping?

Not a doctor, but...I guess that depends on if that bone fragment settled, or if it's still irritating the surrounding tissues.

Those kinds of joint injuries are bastards because ligaments and tendons are slow to heal. I tore a ligament in my own ankle nearly 20 years ago playing football, and that thing was swollen for years later. Even after I could walk on it again.

Have you talked to a doctor about it?

ToTheNines
08-18-2016, 06:42 PM
Not since around the time it happened. I know I should... it just sucks having to take off work. I really miss the days my weekend was Monday-Tuesday :(

plastroncafe
08-18-2016, 06:43 PM
Not since around the time it happened. I know I should... it just sucks having to take off work. I really miss the days my weekend was Monday-Tuesday :(

Maybe call your local Urgent Care and see if they've got access to an x-ray?
But yeah...that's the worst.

Roseangelo
08-18-2016, 07:10 PM
I've been doing karate for over four years. Started at two days a week, but have been consistent at five days a week for most of that time.

Can do this:
h4nx-UvPcLo

ToTheNines
08-18-2016, 07:35 PM
Maybe call your local Urgent Care and see if they've got access to an x-ray?
But yeah...that's the worst.

Good idea. I can't afford a sweet cane so I might as well learn to walk right.

I've been doing karate for over four years. Started at two days a week, but have been consistent at five days a week for most of that time.

Can do this:
h4nx-UvPcLo

That's awesome Rose. How do you even practice something like that workout hurting yourself?

MsMarvelDuckie
08-18-2016, 09:21 PM
I walk at LEAST four miles a day five days a week. Two to work and two back. And that is not counting any errands I have to run after work, so it is often five miles. I walk EVERYWHERE. No car. Small town, fortunately, but it sucks when the weather is hot or bad. And I am on my feet four my entire shift. My life is one big exercise routine....

Plasticplayhouse
08-18-2016, 10:13 PM
I lift 4 days a week. Hate running, but I usually walk 3 miles (3x a week) through the city on my lunch break.

MrPliggins
08-18-2016, 10:41 PM
I ride my bike 10 miles every other day after work. I also do a few exercises every morning before work. I have no choice, as I sit all day at work.

Roseangelo
08-19-2016, 12:08 AM
That's awesome Rose. How do you even practice something like that without hurting yourself?

Haha, you don't. That actually hurt a lot. We don't ever practice board breakingówe only do it during testing. So it's all about having good technique on your kick and committing to kicking through the board.

On the test before this one my board break was a jump spinning back kick. My kick was good, but it took me like 10 tries to get the boards to break (two boards for that one). The bottom of my heel was bruised by the time I finally got it.

Prowler
08-19-2016, 12:32 PM
Haha, you don't. That actually hurt a lot. We don't ever practice board breakingówe only do it during testing. So it's all about having good technique on your kick and committing to kicking through the board.

On the test before this one my board break was a jump spinning back kick. My kick was good, but it took me like 10 tries to get the boards to break (two boards for that one). The bottom of my heel was bruised by the time I finally got it.
And here I thought, all of these years, that breaking wood with chops and kicks in karate was more of a movies and cartoons thing lol

Andrew NDB
08-19-2016, 12:43 PM
I try to run about 3 miles a day.