PDA

View Full Version : Leatherhead and the transmat from Mirage to Image

Danetello
08-21-2016, 05:10 PM
I have recently been reading the entire TMNT Mirage and Image comics from start to finish, and have thus far made it near to the end of Image's attempt. Today I encountered something in 3.19 that made me stop and think.

Leatherhead still seems to be under the impression that the Utroms abandoned him and that he needs to get back to the Utrom home world after the TMNT destroyed his last transmat. But during the whole "Illuminated" thing, we get the impression that he chooses to stay behind on Earth after realising that is where he belongs.

I looked up the dates of the publications, and I realise that Mirage created the Illuminated storyline in Tales seven years after the fact. If we are to follow various sources and indicators, then the events as I describe them happen in that order, chronologically, so it made me wonder, how do we reconcile this? Is it just part of LH's "madness"? Has anyone else ever come up with a theory as to why this happens the way it does?

Not too important over all, I suppose, but I'm a continuity freak and need to know these things! :P

ToTheNines
08-21-2016, 05:48 PM
I'm sure this was discussed when we were all banging out the timeline for TMNTEntity years ago, I'll search that thread when I get home.

But from my memory, I'm pretty sure we chalked it up to his mental instability, yeah.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-21-2016, 06:17 PM
If there's anything I don't like in Mirage/Image, it's Leatherhead.

"Hey, he's okay!" "Graaaawr, he's a beast!" "Hey, he's okay now!" "Graaaaawr!" "He's come to terms with his existence on Earth!" "Graaaawr!"

Danetello
08-21-2016, 06:26 PM
I'm sure this was discussed when we were all banging out the timeline for TMNTEntity years ago, I'll search that thread when I get home.

But from my memory, I'm pretty sure we chalked it up to his mental instability, yeah.

Thanks! :)

If there's anything I don't like in Mirage/Image, it's Leatherhead.

"Hey, he's okay!" "Graaaawr, he's a beast!" "Hey, he's okay now!" "Graaaaawr!" "He's come to terms with his existence on Earth!" "Graaaawr!"

:tlol:

Utrommaniac
08-21-2016, 10:12 PM
It seems like when Leatherhead was adopted by the Utroms, there's very little justice done for him. He was never really reunited with them in the 4Kids show, which is a darn shame because he was certainly the most sound of mind of the three "Utrom family Leatherheads".

Mirage and Image certainly had the out of control self-loathing for being too big to use the transmat to handle, but Image Leatherhead at least had Xeinos with him.

I saw Peter Laird rejecting the idea of Leatherhead transmitting his mind into an Utrom body in 23K Flash Forward. Basically asking "is Leatherhead really so self-loathing that he would overtake an Utrom's mind?"
If it were Mirage/Image...absolutely. He might not even need a living Utrom, he could just grow his own new body rather than taking from someone else.
Self-loathing and thinking himself a monster is part of who Leatherhead his (save for the OT take), and I would completely accept Leatherhead making the choice of a new body in order to be closer to his adoptive family.

Though, I imagine their thoughts on the matter being "Well...we love you for who you are but...whatever makes you comfortable..."

CyberCubed
08-21-2016, 10:13 PM

He's written the exact same way in Tales V. 2. He appears in at least 5 issues if I recall.

Utrommaniac
08-21-2016, 10:26 PM
The one when the turtles saw him as kids was a particularly funny instance of that. With Xeinos assuring him that his violence was worth it because the aliens he attacked were their enemies. "Yeah, it's true that you let violence take over your intellect, but it's okay here, because those guys suck."

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-22-2016, 09:51 AM
He's written the exact same way in Tales V. 2. He appears in at least 5 issues if I recall.

I was including it in my statement. Mirage/Image.

EDITED: Though in Tales V2 exclusively, it's a good flow. He's bestial and crazy because the Illuminated Utrom Militia (or whoever) have been experimenting on him. After the Turtles rescue him, there are a couple of "monster island" type stories with Marlin and what not, but LH is never a berserker by accident after "Attack of the Replicants". Battle berserker mode isn't mental instability.

Andrew NDB
08-22-2016, 11:46 AM
I somewhat reconcile it all in the Image finisher (#24, #25).

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-22-2016, 12:20 PM
I somewhat reconcile it all in the Image finisher (#24, #25).

Yeaaaaaaaah. But then Leatherhead's back to "Graaaaaaawr" mode, when he's fighting Gameraph for sides of beef in Volume 4.

Ya did the best you could. :tgrin:

Andrew NDB
08-22-2016, 12:24 PM
Yeaaaaaaaah. But then Leatherhead's back to "Graaaaaaawr" mode, when he's fighting Gameraph for sides of beef in Volume 4.

Ya did the best you could. :tgrin:

I think the general idea was that as he gets older, the mutagen destabilizes in him and he becomes naturally more bestial. Very big plans for him in "Origin." Big, big.

Danetello
08-22-2016, 12:33 PM
Very big plans for him in "Origin." Big, big.

Oooh... Interesting!! :D

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-22-2016, 12:36 PM
I think the general idea was that as he gets older, the mutagen destabilizes in him and he becomes naturally more bestial. Very big plans for him in "Origin." Big, big.

I just got really excited! :teek:

Actually, question about that, Andrew...

It seems the one plot point from Image Volume 3 that you did not entirely resolve was the destabilizing mutagen. It heals the Turtles of their injuries (Transformer Donatello, Luke Skywalker Leonardo, and Pirate Raphael), but then no more mention even though it's a looming nightmare.

Eventually, that destabilizing mutagen is gonna revert them or something. Plans to touch on that in any way in Origin? :tgrin:

bjaxx87
08-23-2016, 01:35 PM
There was more than one continuity problem for Mirage's Leatherhead ^^

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=49380

@CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy: I always wondered about that as well! Why does LH go back to "animal mode" and the turtles don't?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-23-2016, 02:05 PM
There was more than one continuity problem for Mirage's Leatherhead ^^

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=49380

@CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy: I always wondered about that as well! Why does LH go back to "animal mode" and the turtles don't?

I forgot all about the lair issue...

Man, Leatherhead is one of my favorite characters, but everything about him is just so slap-dash in Mirage...

Andrew NDB
08-23-2016, 03:45 PM
Eventually, that destabilizing mutagen is gonna revert them or something. Plans to touch on that in any way in Origin? :tgrin:

Oh yeah. And on a much bigger scale.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-23-2016, 03:46 PM
Oh yeah. And on a much bigger scale.

Again. I am excited for this. :tgrin: