PDA

View Full Version : TMNT Universe #1 Preview & Discussion

AlZarkovski
08-25-2016, 05:06 AM
Released: 31/24/16.
Preview tomorrow.

First 3 pages:
http://a4.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Purple62/v4/a2/cb/7c/a2cb7ce8-9de0-bf74-94a4-15f892517ea5/screen480x480.jpeghttp://a4.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Purple71/v4/ed/a5/e3/eda5e39b-1a2c-c1da-17c2-dd7ef8794dfb/screen480x480.jpeghttp://a4.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Purple71/v4/08/96/20/089620fa-e105-8d90-0b25-db1a6754d91f/screen480x480.jpeg

ProphetofGanja
08-25-2016, 07:26 AM
is this from iTunes again? these damn small ass pictures, they might as well not put them out until they get the full size images. oh well. super stoked for TMNTU!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-25-2016, 08:01 AM
All right! Detective Lewis in the house!

Looks like she's not getting along with Bishop... :tgrin:

Utrommaniac
08-25-2016, 10:29 AM
Seems like our new scorpion mutant is a girl.

Glad to finally get around to Bishop, though. With all that talk about protecting the Earth, it's almost kind of funny he never seemed to catch on to what Krang was up to...as far as we know, at least.

ProphetofGanja
08-25-2016, 01:04 PM
lmao at Mikey and Donnie's weapon discussion :lol:

PaulAllor
08-25-2016, 02:49 PM
Where are these posted??

CyberCubed
08-25-2016, 03:04 PM
Those pages are so small, I can't even read the word bubbles. The art looks good so far.

AlZarkovski
08-25-2016, 03:05 PM
I took these pages here (https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles/id1145112036?mt=11).:D

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-25-2016, 03:07 PM
Those pages are so small, I can't even read the word bubbles. The art looks good so far.

I can't read it either, and honestly, I don't care. I'll get it in full res tomorrow... in matters such as these, I can be patient.

Paul, this is gonna kick so much shell. I haven't been this excited since... well, Leatherhead. And Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy everything. And Issue #50. And Mikey with the Mutanimals.

Okay, you guys keep knocking it out of the park, but still... SUPER HYPED for Bishop, Baxter, and all this goodness.

ChosenOne
08-25-2016, 03:11 PM
The scorpion mutant being a female intrigues me. I've been waiting for Bishop for so long, I just hope he's not a one-note anti-mutant xenophobe (mutophobe?) in the vein of several human antagonists for the X-Men over the years, and actually exhibits other traits and even has the potential to become an unlikely ally to the Turtles further down the line, like in the 2003 cartoon.

I'm sure IDW won't let us down, it's the just the pre-release trepidation speaking. 8)

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-25-2016, 03:13 PM
The scorpion mutant being a female intrigues me. I've been waiting for Bishop for so long, I just hope he's not a one-note anti-mutant xenophobe (mutophobe?) in the vein of several human antagonists for the X-Men over the years, and actually exhibits other traits and even has the potential to become an unlikely ally to the Turtles further down the line, like in the 2003 cartoon.

I'm sure IDW won't let us down, it's the just the pre-release trepidation speaking. 8)

Considering IDW took the very long route with Old Hob, I'm not worried. He could be considered a one-note simple "revenge" character in the beginning, but he's grown to be, probably, THE standout original character from IDW TMNT.

Utrommaniac
08-25-2016, 03:26 PM
The standout original character, apart from Alopex, who I personally have seen quite a lot more fanart (and shipping) of? But in terms of character and motivation, yeah, Hob does a bit of a better job of being captivating and rounded. Alopex isn't really all that special to me personally, if only because she's a character type I've seen before. Granted, she and Hob share some traits, but Hob is more interesting with what he does with them.

It certainly seems like Bishop will be similar to his original character, having been abducted by aliens in the 1800's and then returned to an unfamiliar time. It's just a matter of which aliens. Utroms almost work, but my guess is that they went into stasis in the late 1700's (American Revolution-ish time), and Bishop was abducted in 1812 in his original incarnation. But hey...they had to have learned English from somewhere, why not him?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-25-2016, 03:30 PM
The standout original character, apart from Alopex, who I personally have seen quite a lot more fanart (and shipping) of? But in terms of character and motivation, yeah, Hob does a bit of a better job of being captivating and rounded. Alopex isn't really all that special to me personally, if only because she's a character type I've seen before. Granted, she and Hob share some traits, but Hob is more interesting with what he does with them.

It certainly seems like Bishop will be similar to his original character, having been abducted by aliens in the 1800's and then returned to an unfamiliar time. It's just a matter of which aliens. Utroms almost work, but my guess is that they went into stasis in the late 1700's (American Revolution-ish time), and Bishop was abducted in 1812 in his original incarnation. But hey...they had to have learned English from somewhere, why not him?

Okay, Deviant-Art shippers SHOULD NOT be taken as experts on standout characters. :tlol:

Utrommaniac
08-25-2016, 03:46 PM
Exactly my point :P . She may be more popular (because she's a cute fluffy fox with face paint and baggage?), but Hob is more standout because he fits in a little better overall with what is traditionally "darker" TMNT. He's not made to be cutesy shipping material, and doesn't get stuck in such situations either.

...said I while making mountains out of Ma'riell predicting Ch'rell's reaction to Krang being imprisoned...

CyberCubed
08-25-2016, 04:16 PM
Alopex is also rather similar to Ninjara from the Archie comics. Having another rogue fox character who starts off as an assassin but then befriends the Turtles and gets romantically interested in Raphael is something we've seen before in the 90's.

Joey Kamikaze
08-26-2016, 01:15 AM
Alopex strikes me as the kind of character who would be popular with the same folks who write self insert Sonic fanfic. I have no doubt there is plenty of fan art of her on the net. Hob is the character who will probably appear in future TMNT universes though... he's the Magneto character who was missing from the mythology before IDW.

CyberCubed
08-26-2016, 01:25 AM
Alopex strikes me as the kind of character who would be popular with the same folks who write self insert Sonic fanfic. I have no doubt there is plenty of fan art of her on the net. Hob is the character who will probably appear in future TMNT universes though... he's the Magneto character who was missing from the mythology before IDW.

Yeah there's always one or two stand-out characters created for each universe after Mirage that always become mainstays in future incarnations:

- Krang/Bebop/Rocksteady from Fred Wolf

- Hun and Bishop from 4kids

- Armaggon from Archie

Now from IDW its Old Hob, and I suppose from Nick it'll probably be Tiger Claw and Fishface. I'm betting future incarnations will use these characters too.

Tardigrade
08-26-2016, 07:09 AM
Yeah there's always one or two stand-out characters created for each universe after Mirage that always become mainstays in future incarnations:

- Krang/Bebop/Rocksteady from Fred Wolf

- Hun and Bishop from 4kids

- Armaggon from Archie

Now from IDW its Old Hob, and I suppose from Nick it'll probably be Tiger Claw and Fishface. I'm betting future incarnations will use these characters too.

While he is not as stand-out as Hob, I really hope that Harold become a mainstay in future incarnations. I think he is my favorite IDW addition to the turtles universe because he allows Donatello to be much more realistic regarding is tech capacity while keeping the science-fiction gadgets possible for them.

I also believe, even if she is from 4kids, that IDW turn Angel into a mainstay. At least, I would be disappointed if she does not show up in future incarnations.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-26-2016, 01:22 PM
While he is not as stand-out as Hob, I really hope that Harold become a mainstay in future incarnations. I think he is my favorite IDW addition to the turtles universe because he allows Donatello to be much more realistic regarding is tech capacity while keeping the science-fiction gadgets possible for them.

I also believe, even if she is from 4kids, that IDW turn Angel into a mainstay. At least, I would be disappointed if she does not show up in future incarnations.

I like Angel and Harold a lot, but so far, I don't really seem them as inevitably breaking out beyond IDW. I still see them as "niche."

CyberCubed
08-26-2016, 02:52 PM
I would have said Kitsune too, but then Nick is using Shinigami who is a somewhat similar character. A lot of the other characters IDW uses are already established characters from past universes.

MikeandRaph87
08-26-2016, 04:12 PM
Is there a karger version available of the preview? I cant read any of the dialog or boxes.

ProphetofGanja
08-28-2016, 11:35 AM

Is Bishop always displaced out-of-time, in all the TMNT incarnations he's appeared in?

CyberCubed
08-28-2016, 11:40 AM
Is Bishop always displaced out-of-time, in all the TMNT incarnations he's appeared in?

Well considering the 2k3 one is the original one, and Nick's Bishop is an Utrom, I'd say yes. Bishop has always existed for hundreds of years.

Utrommaniac
08-28-2016, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they set Bishop's story beginning earlier so he would know the Utroms as his abductors. Maybe as one of the "Knock knock, it's Europe" visitors of Japan in the 1540's. Or even the 1600's, around the time Shredder and the Hamatos would have been alive.

And since his longevity would have been affected, he could have been dropped back on Earth when right when sh*t started collapsing on Utrominion (late 1700's?). Which he would have some idea of what was going on.

Of course, there's another viable alien that could take Bishop in later years, but I'm not entirely sure if that would be their thing. The Triceratons.
Who would certainly be a different kind of horrifying for someone living before dinosaurs had even been properly documented. But, I'm not so sure they would have been as interested in scientific endeavors as the Utroms were, much less messing around with a singular human. Sure, we might question if the IDW Utroms have the same moral code of keeping low-impact as the Mirage, but considering what they were already doing with dinosaurs and to their own planet (granted, that was mostly Quanin), I wouldn't put it past them to abduct a human and displace it.

ProphetofGanja
08-28-2016, 03:05 PM
oh. I always thought Bishop was a much more down-to-earth guy, just a g-man who worked his way up through various intelligence agencies until he got to what is basically the TMNT version of the Men in Black

Ninjinister
08-28-2016, 03:17 PM
Of course, there's another viable alien that could take Bishop in later years, but I'm not entirely sure if that would be their thing. The Triceratons.

Triceratons are mutants in IDW, though.

CyberCubed
08-28-2016, 04:02 PM
oh. I always thought Bishop was a much more down-to-earth guy, just a g-man who worked his way up through various intelligence agencies until he got to what is basically the TMNT version of the Men in Black

Bishop was loosely based on the Volume 2 story arc from Mirage about Darpa. Except he's a new character because Volume 2 didn't have any main guy running the place.

Utrommaniac
08-28-2016, 04:26 PM
Triceratons are mutants in IDW, though.

They're mutants and aliens :P

ProphetofGanja
08-28-2016, 06:54 PM
They're mutants and aliens :P

technically, the one planet they're not aliens on is earth

ToTheNines
08-28-2016, 07:03 PM
I'd say after x million years, their citizenship has expired lol

AlZarkovski
08-29-2016, 01:52 PM
Full preview (http://www.avclub.com/article/idw-goes-back-sewer-exclusive-tmnt-universe-1-prev-241811)!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-29-2016, 01:56 PM
I'm not gonna lie. I really REALLY hate Kevin Eastman's writing. Not expecting to be impressed by the backup.

But TMNT Universe is off to an AWESOME start.

"Don't forget the chain, bro."

And...

Null!?

spookycookies
08-29-2016, 02:13 PM
I'm not gonna lie. I really REALLY hate Kevin Eastman's writing. Not expecting to be impressed by the backup.

But TMNT Universe is off to an AWESOME start.

"Don't forget the chain, bro."

And...

Null!?

**** just got real! I was feeling ho-hum about ANOTHER totally new mutant being introduced while we still have so many underdeveloped ones but if this Scorpion girl is tied in with Null, that gives her some good roots to grow from. Hey maybe the TMNT will actually meet Null by issue 4.

I guess we will have to wait until the full issue is out but is Leonardo chasing Foot Soldiers? Based on him borrowing Pain 101 lines from Casey maybe he's training a squad but could this be a flashback?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-29-2016, 02:21 PM
**** just got real! I was feeling ho-hum about ANOTHER totally new mutant being introduced while we still have so many underdeveloped ones but if this Scorpion girl is tied in with Null, that gives her some good roots to grow from. Hey maybe the TMNT will actually meet Null by issue 4.

I guess we will have to wait until the full issue is out but is Leonardo chasing Foot Soldiers? Based on him borrowing Pain 101 lines from Casey maybe he's training a squad but could this be a flashback?

I know, I was assuming that

this scorpion mutant was Stockman's creation, but we just found out differently, didn't we? :tlol:

Probably just setting up a bigger Null confrontation later down the road. I wonder what Stockman's connection is to Null?
I think you're right on the Leo theory. Ugh. UGH. I'm saying it again: I hate Eastman's writing.

ProphetofGanja
08-29-2016, 02:23 PM
This looks awesome, so glad IDW made a companion series

CyberCubed
08-29-2016, 02:25 PM
I don't see the need for spoilers in a preview thread, so I'm just gonna say what I saw, if anyone wants to skip through my post do it now.

Anyway I'm really glad that this isn't just a Bishop story but they're also using many other characters like Detective Lewis and now Null. Its a real nice way to tie everything together and bring back another old villain in the process.

With the main ongoing focusing on Kitsune/Rat King/Pantheon mainly and the Street Phantoms/Darius, as well as the Utroms and Leatherhead on the side....we definitely needed another main series.

Technogeek29
08-29-2016, 02:46 PM
Whoa Null? Can't say I expected to see her so soon.

ChosenOne
08-29-2016, 04:06 PM
Bishop and Stockman and Null, oh hell yeah! :D Definitely worth the slog through 2-3 slow months to get here!

Oh man... Please let that Eastman backup be the debut of IDW Chrome Dome or some other meaningful character, not like that first annual full of dumb OC's that went nowhere... *groan* I swear you'll find a photo of the man if you look up "Dated" in the dictionary.

CyberCubed
08-29-2016, 04:08 PM
I think Kevin's backup will just be about fighting Foot or some other urban enemy.

PaulAllor
08-29-2016, 04:13 PM
Come on, guys, like I WASN'T going to take any opportunity to bring that one character back? :lol:

Very, very small role, though, be warned.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-29-2016, 06:23 PM
Come on, guys, like I WASN'T going to take any opportunity to bring that one character back? :lol:

Very, very small role, though, be warned.

I figured as much. More to remind us "Hey, she's still a player." I'm looking forward to Bishop/Baxter badness galore!!!

spookycookies
08-29-2016, 11:32 PM
I figured as much. More to remind us "Hey, she's still a player." I'm looking forward to Bishop/Baxter badness galore!!!

Yeah as long as she's brought up as a looming force I'm happy. Hope she appears in the main book before too long.

ProphetofGanja
08-31-2016, 09:16 AM
Well that was pretty damn good as far as series-opening issues go. The art reminded me a lot of Andy Kuhn's so its a great fit for Allor's writing, which was awesome, once again. I really loved all the interaction between the Turtles, especially Mikey and Donnie’s weapons conversation. I like Bishop so far, I'm curious to see where his storyline goes. Ditto for the back up story, except I'm ignoring all the dialogue

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-31-2016, 10:40 AM
Oh man. This was so good. SO good. :tgrin:

Really loving the Scorpion Mutant so far; great personality, curious to see where she goes. (Also wondering if she even has a name... she came from Null, so... maybe not.)

I have a feeling Detective Kara Lewis may end up helping the Turtles in this situation; she's being included for a reason.

Bishop is definitely not in a good mood. YAY for finally getting Agent Bishop. :tcool:

As for the backup, well... I dunno. We'll see where it's going, I guess. It says Tom did the script, so that makes me feel better about it.

qt.bangerang
08-31-2016, 11:01 AM
Good first issue. Excited about the new mutant, but confused as to why she doesn't have 8 arms/legs as a scorpion. We need to have more insects, would have been cool if it had been Antrax.

Didn't care for the back up, doesn't feel like Leo would say any of that. Also not sure where it even fits in the time line.

PaulAllor
08-31-2016, 11:03 AM
(Also wondering if she even has a name... she came from Null, so... maybe not.)

Zodi!

Really glad you guys are digging this.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-31-2016, 11:07 AM
Zodi!

I have not been this excited since we first got Leatherhead teased in Issue #49.

Bishop is my favorite villain, and I'm uber-hyped to see what you do with him! :tgrin:

ChosenOne
08-31-2016, 11:14 AM
Zodi!

It was a great first issue, congratulations!

I got the feeling, from seeing Zodi interrupted by that guard that shouldn't have been there, that her mission was a setup either by Null, or Stockman somehow. The solicit for #4 does mention his surprise gambit coming to fruition. Hmm...

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-31-2016, 11:20 AM
It was a great first issue, congratulations!

I got the feeling, from seeing Zodi interrupted by that guard that shouldn't have been there, that her mission was a setup either by Null, or Stockman somehow. The solicit for #4 does mention his surprise gambit coming to fruition. Hmm...

I'm personally thinking that Baxter's surprise gambit is betraying all the mutants and April to Bishop and the rest of the feds outside.

But we shall see!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-31-2016, 11:43 AM
I only just now realized that Stockman is rocking the Fred Wolf outfit. Nice yellow tie! :twink:

Technogeek29
08-31-2016, 01:19 PM
I only just now realized that Stockman is rocking the Fred Wolf outfit. Nice yellow tie! :twink:

Good eye I had to double back to see that.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-31-2016, 01:27 PM
Good eye I had to double back to see that.

It didn't occur to me until my second read... it looks better than the dorky bowtie, too. Only Matt Smith can make a bowtie look cool.

neatoman
08-31-2016, 01:32 PM
Zodi!

Kneel before Zodi!

Technogeek29
08-31-2016, 01:55 PM
Digging Scorpio (until she has a name I 'm calling her Scorpio) I wonder what she is looking for?

CyberCubed
08-31-2016, 01:59 PM
Hm, does anyone think its weird the Turtles would let April go alone to Baxter like that? I mean they know what he's capable of, and he could have had killer robots/mousers in his room to attack her with. Seemed a bit odd to me to say the least.

I dig the new mutant character so far, and surprised to see Nick/Viacom approved of all the death. I hope she doesn't turn good like Alopex, or at least remains ambiguous. Bishop is cool like always, so far he seems identical to the 2k3 version.

The back-up has nice art so far, but the story seems like typical Eastman madness. His stories always fit Mirage more than IDW's.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-31-2016, 02:02 PM
Digging Scorpio (until she has a name I 'm calling her Scorpio) I wonder what she is looking for?

You missed it; Paul chimed in with her name: "Zodi."

Hm, does anyone think its weird the Turtles would let April go alone to Baxter like that? I mean they know what he's capable of, and he could have had killer robots/mousers in his room to attack her with. Seemed a bit odd to me to say the least.

I can believe it. April would insist, the Turtles would agree she could give it a try as long as they remain in position to intervene if necessary. It's a risk, but not one that stretches believably. I mean, come on... April's already tried to recruit "Chet" and Professor Miller. She's the TMNT's Nick Fury. :twink:

Technogeek29
08-31-2016, 02:33 PM
I'v been up for hours need to sleep missing some obvious stuff too much doubling back. Yawn~ 23 hours with no sleep, not by choice, I'll catch you dudes later.

Allio
08-31-2016, 05:12 PM
welp...time to put Zodi on the waifu list.

Ninjinister
08-31-2016, 06:24 PM
I wanna know more about the Foot Mutants Leo fights. What are they even named?

funatic
08-31-2016, 06:33 PM

That big second guy reminded me a little of one of the Warriors of Perfect Virtue from volume 4 (see the cover of this issue: http://www.miragelicensing.com/comics/mirage/volume04/16/16.html) At least in terms of size and funny headdress... I doubt that was intentional though.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-31-2016, 06:35 PM

Considering Leo is chunin of the Foot currently, this is either a dream sequence (unlikely), a flashback (possible), or a training exercise that's somehow being embellished (likely).

DrSpengler
08-31-2016, 06:56 PM
Here's my full summary and review of TMNT Universe #1 at TMNT Entity. (http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2016/08/tmnt-universe-1.html)

The new ongoing really hits the ground running. With all the intersecting plot lines, it feels more like a new arc in the main ongoing rather than a jumping on point for new readers. Still, I think all the "what you've missed" references might encourage newcomers to look into past storylines; the actual conflict of this issue gets underway very quickly and is self-contained enough to keep a newbie's interest.

myconius
08-31-2016, 07:30 PM
i really loved the hell out of this comic! it gave me so much of what i've been missing in the ongoing series since 'Vengeance'.
ACTION!!! lots of glorious action! and plenty of humor as well! the rooftop banter between Michelangelo and Donatello was perfect!
it was nice to have those moments right before everything kicked off.

i was really surprised by all the carnage too! pretty awesome!!!
and the comment the Scorpion made about "catching names" was pretty hysterical! :D

i actually really enjoyed the back-up story A LOT!
it really felt reminiscent of the playful humor found in the classic Mirage comics.
it's nice when other characters are allowed to show humor and levity besides just Michelangelo.
the mutants that showed up in the back-up story were particularly awesome!
hope we see more creatures like them in future stories?

PaulAllor
08-31-2016, 08:41 PM
Here's my full summary and review of TMNT Universe #1 at TMNT Entity. (http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2016/08/tmnt-universe-1.html)

The new ongoing really hits the ground running. With all the intersecting plot lines, it feels more like a new arc in the main ongoing rather than a jumping on point for new readers. Still, I think all the "what you've missed" references might encourage newcomers to look into past storylines; the actual conflict of this issue gets underway very quickly and is self-contained enough to keep a newbie's interest.

Awesome review! Thank you, man! Really glad you dug the issue.

Redeemer
08-31-2016, 09:52 PM
i really loved the hell out of this comic! it gave me so much of what i've been missing in the ongoing series since 'Vengeance'.
ACTION!!! lots of glorious action! and plenty of humor as well! the rooftop banter between Michelangelo and Donatello was perfect!
it was nice to have those moments right before everything kicked off.

i was really surprised by all the carnage too! pretty awesome!!!
and the comment the Scorpion made about "catching names" was pretty hysterical! :D

i actually really enjoyed the back-up story A LOT!
it really felt reminiscent of the playful humor found in the classic Mirage comics.
it's nice when other characters are allowed to show humor and levity besides just Michelangelo.
the mutants that showed up in the back-up story were particularly awesome!
hope we see more creatures like them in future stories?

I have to agree issue was really great and I am digging the art! So happy to see a more mature TMNT/Non-Nick looking adolescent turtles.......
Is it me or did this issue feel like an episode from 2k3?????

CyberCubed
08-31-2016, 11:32 PM
Awesome review! Thank you, man! Really glad you dug the issue.

I have to ask in the scene where Zodi kills all the soldiers and there's blood everywhere after she impales everyone, was that in the original script and did you wonder if Nick/Viacom would approve of it? Seemed like a very violent scene for the IDW comic, a lot more than other scenes recently.

PaulAllor
09-01-2016, 01:18 AM
I have to ask in the scene where Zodi kills all the soldiers and there's blood everywhere after she impales everyone, was that in the original script and did you wonder if Nick/Viacom would approve of it? Seemed like a very violent scene for the IDW comic, a lot more than other scenes recently.

It was in the script, yes. I basically wanted to go as far as Nick would let us (which isn't to say that I wanted it to look like Saw or something; I had a good idea of what Nick's boundaries would be, and it aligned with what I was imagining).

I think the thing to remember is that I don't view my relationship with Nickelodeon as adversarial; they're very open to conversations about things, and it's a good working relationship. So I threw this scene out there to see what they would say, and there really wasn't much muss or fuss to it. If I recall correctly, their reaction was basically, "okay, but don't make it too gross." And I think a part of that is probably just the fact that after working with Bobby for so many years, they know that he knows where the line is.

Having said all of that, a lot of people do seem at least a bit shocked by it, and -- good. That's what I was going for, ha.

PaulAllor
09-01-2016, 01:20 AM
And I should note that that's all just from my point-of-view, and Bobby has many, many conversations with Nick that I'm not privy to. So Damian and Ronda and Bobby may have had to do more to make sure Nick was okay with how this moment was portrayed; if so, I wouldn't necessarily be aware of it.

myconius
09-01-2016, 02:51 AM
I have to agree issue was really great and I am digging the art! So happy to see a more mature TMNT/Non-Nick looking adolescent turtles.......
Is it me or did this issue feel like an episode from 2k3?????

we've been pretty lucky to have some scenes in previous issues with real 'teeth' every now and again, but this issue really delivered!!! ... and in SPADES!!! :D

myconius
09-01-2016, 02:57 AM
It was in the script, yes. I basically wanted to go as far as Nick would let us (which isn't to say that I wanted it to look like Saw or something; I had a good idea of what Nick's boundaries would be, and it aligned with what I was imagining).

I think the thing to remember is that I don't view my relationship with Nickelodeon as adversarial; they're very open to conversations about things, and it's a good working relationship. So I threw this scene out there to see what they would say, and there really wasn't much muss or fuss to it. If I recall correctly, their reaction was basically, "okay, but don't make it too gross." And I think a part of that is probably just the fact that after working with Bobby for so many years, they know that he knows where the line is.

Having said all of that, a lot of people do seem at least a bit shocked by it, and -- good. That's what I was going for, ha.

i really loved this issue!
probably the first IDW TMNT story in a while that i've read more than twice upon release day!

the level of intensity was perfect! not too over the top, but shocking just enough to get a reaction.

one of the best parts for me was the natural flowing dialog. it made it feel all the more real!

Ninjinister
09-01-2016, 05:30 AM
Considering Leo is chunin of the Foot currently, this is either a dream sequence (unlikely), a flashback (possible), or a training exercise that's somehow being embellished (likely).

If it indeed is something that happened, I'm still intrigued on their existence. The giant with the axe I can deal with just being a big Foot Clan Ninja, since not only have they existed before but have so even in this continuity, but the Foot randomly has a four-armed mutant? Like... what?

myconius
09-01-2016, 05:36 AM
If it indeed is something that happened, I'm still intrigued on their existence. The giant with the axe I can deal with just being a big Foot Clan Ninja, since not only have they existed before but have so even in this continuity, but the Foot randomly has a four-armed mutant? Like... what?

the first thing it reminded me of was that 6-armed monster from the original Tales of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

i really dug the design of these new characters! :D

2K3
09-01-2016, 12:01 PM
the first thing it reminded me of was that 6-armed monster from the original Tales of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Ah Yes, Katmandu

myconius
09-01-2016, 12:50 PM
Ah Yes, Katmandu

i was actually thinking of this dude

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cb/TalesTMNT3.jpg

but i can definitely see Katmandu. :)

http://miragelicensing.com/comics/archie/54/1.jpg

i just love any kind of mythic-looking creatures! :D

http://25.media.tumblr.com/f3f365458e84a08ef8adf84db247a86e/tumblr_n03eswPZKD1qedb29o1_500.gif
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-N2z3hQAvMI8/VPZw83Q7FNI/AAAAAAAADlE/i_y8H6M8wsY/s1600/1-cyclops.gif
http://31.media.tumblr.com/e07650ceb661e8358c78aff60bbf8a13/tumblr_mmg3zgGrn11rp37cxo1_500.gif

Powder
09-01-2016, 09:31 PM
I really, really liked this issue. Gotta say, I still enjoy these side-series' far more than the main title. They just have that "oomph" which it often lacks, though I can't necessarily put my finger on what that is a lot of the time. Great pacing, humor, action, hits all the beats one wants it to. Dude's art is pretty sick too, though I could reeeeally do without the nostrils. I am really excited to see where things go with Baxter. Funny enough, I think he's my #1 favorite character in the IDW universe, & I'd never been a big fan of his previously. Glad for his continued involvement & badassery. Bishop seems perfectly on point so far.

I am not a fan of Zodi, but I am definitely interested in what she represents- Null having an arsenal of bad mutants to do her bidding. Granted, I would much prefer this series not keep dumping more & more mutants into the fold, there are far too many as it is. I guess the bit of hype that comes along with that notion is owed to Playmates of yore, seeing new mutants on the toy cardbacks always gave me a jolt. :tlol: But that initial excitement tends to wear off as I recall how overloaded this universe is with anthropomorphic critters.

That Eastman back-up was really rad, I can't wait to see what happens next. His layouts & general style mesh really well with that of his creative partner for this short. You can always recognize his character design work too, as it's reminiscent of works past, like Melting Pot for example.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-02-2016, 08:53 AM
I am not a fan of Zodi, but I am definitely interested in what she represents- Null having an arsenal of bad mutants to do her bidding. Granted, I would much prefer this series not keep dumping more & more mutants into the fold, there are far too many as it is. I guess the bit of hype that comes along with that notion is owed to Playmates of yore, seeing new mutants on the toy cardbacks always gave me a jolt. :tlol: But that initial excitement tends to wear off as I recall how overloaded this universe is with anthropomorphic critters.

So, could you elaborate on your feeling of "too many mutants?" I feel like IDW has done a pretty good job of tracking and utilizing all of them with clear allegiances and goals. I mean, if we're of the school of thought that "mutants should be rare and special", I feel like that's going to be a Mirage exclusive, for better or worse.

We've got the Mutanimals (and Slash), rogues Bebop and Rocksteady, Bludgeon and Koya with the Foot, Leatherhead, Alopex sorta/kinda with the Foot, and the Turtles and Splinter. Now additionally whatever mutant soldiers Null has. (And all of the mutants from Stockgen, but I think we can all assume those were killed either by Stockman or when Slash and Hob blew it up.) That is a TON of mutants (an even 20 by my count) but none of them are just "one and done", brought up and forgotten.

There is, of course, the whole issue of "does the public know about mutants? and if not, how could they not by now?" But hopefully the looming Bishop story arcs will help address that.

DrSpengler
09-02-2016, 09:24 AM
In the context of the IDW universe, I think they have a case for including greater numbers of mutant characters.

You've got multiple factions creating them in a sort of arms race (Krang, Baxter, the Foot, Null, Hob, maybe more) so naturally more and more are going to appear with some frequency.

It also lends credence to Hob's goal and the mission of the Mutanimals. They see the ethical dilemma in the surge of new mutants being created as weapons or experiments and they want to fight for "mutant rights". But in order for that to feel like a justifiable cause with large scale ramifications, there needs to be a substantial mutant population to begin with (they can't just be fighting for the rights of, like, 6 people).

Obviously, not every mutant character is going to get a lot of depth or motivation, so it's perhaps a double-edged sword. But I think they're doing well with what they've introduced so far.

I think it's a different case from other brand incarnations which introduce mutants at a rapid rate. IDW isn't out to sell merch for these characters and are motivated by storytelling purposes, not toy sales. So in that regard I think their rapid inclusion of numerous mutants is a special case.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-02-2016, 09:31 AM
In the context of the IDW universe, I think they have a case for including greater numbers of mutant characters.

You've got multiple factions creating them in a sort of arms race (Krang, Baxter, the Foot, Null, Hob, maybe more) so naturally more and more are going to appear with some frequency.

It also lends credence to Hob's goal and the mission of the Mutanimals. They see the ethical dilemma in the surge of new mutants being created as weapons or experiments and they want to fight for "mutant rights". But in order for that to feel like a justifiable cause with large scale ramifications, there needs to be a substantial mutant population to begin with (they can't just be fighting for the rights of, like, 6 people).

Obviously, not every mutant character is going to get a lot of depth or motivation, so it's perhaps a double-edged sword. But I think they're doing well with what they've introduced so far.

I think it's a different case from other brand incarnations which introduce mutants at a rapid rate. IDW isn't out to sell merch for these characters and are motivated by storytelling purposes, not toy sales. So in that regard I think their rapid inclusion of numerous mutants is a special case.

The Mutants Arms Race. I like that!

You also get to see its eventual escalation in "Turtles in Time" #4, where the world is nothing but mutants.

myconius
09-02-2016, 10:44 AM

The Mutants Arms Race. I like that!

You also get to see its eventual escalation in "Turtles in Time" #4, where the world is nothing but mutants.

yeah, seeing the City full of Mutants in 'Turtles in Time' #4 was exactly what came to mind.

i do really enjoy the motivation for Hob fighting for Mutant rights, and how offended he was at Bebop & Rocksteady when he found out they were originally Humans.

from her introduction, Zodi really left a good impression as a Villain i'll love to hate! she's agile, lethal, and has just enough charm to be humorous.

i'm actually really glad this series is not producing a line of Toys. as much as i LOVE collecting figures, i'd rather put my spending cash towards more comics and stories to enjoy.

PLUS, there comes the question of art style!
which artist does which character get based off of???
or do you make toy lines of Leo, Mike, Don, Raph, Splinter, Shredder .... and have multiple sets each based off the various artists??

spookycookies
09-02-2016, 02:09 PM
So Kevin did an interview with CBR about the back up and I think he may have given a pretty interesting spoiler:

http://www.cbr.com/eastman-talks-teaming-with-sienkiewicz-for-leonardos-tmnt-tale/

At first I wasn't sure what to make of the back up, is this a flash back? Is Leonardo training these foot ninja? The dialogue supports that if you take all of the class puns literally... but it looks like it's all a dream in Leo's head.

If that's the case I guess it gives them space to do whatever they want to do without really impacting on the IDW story or whats going on there. So I guess I'll let them have their fun on this backup without being super concerned about its placement.

myconius
09-02-2016, 03:16 PM
the person (that we only see the close-up of their eyes) giving the order to the bowmen to fire looks a bit like Karai

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-02-2016, 08:32 PM
Okay, not surprised and yet surprised.

Not surprised to hear it's a dream sequence, in fact, a bit disappointed. But it easily explains the four-armed ninja, and I was wondering if they'd really do a "dream sequence." It's pretty worn out.

BUT... Leo dealing more with his brainwashing? That could make it okay. I'm much more interested and curious now...

Mormegil
09-03-2016, 08:03 AM
I loved this first issue, but it's the really good issues that make me want to trade wait. I keep buying the issues just to keep the numbers up.

ToTheNines
09-03-2016, 08:17 AM
Great issue, definitely a dire situation. Raph is freaking out!

I really liked the new mutant. Love her pragmatism and sense of humor. Couceiro was pretty great, I think he's the most Duncan-esque artist we've had yet.

The backup looked great, and I loved seeing Leo have some fun. But it was a little too verbose... maybe shoulda just let that beautiful Sienkiewicz art do the talking.

Perhaps you should dust off your back issues. Donnie's shell, Shredder's head, Viktor's hand, Mikey and Hun beating the hell out of each other, Splinter's leg, Takeshi Tatsuo's foot, The Neutrino Royalty beating, (I could go on).

This series is frequently all kinds of explicitly violent. Really don't understand where you're coming from.

myconius
09-03-2016, 09:17 AM
I loved this first issue, but it's the really good issues that make me want to trade wait. I keep buying the issues just to keep the numbers up.

yeah, for that reason alone i'll never stop buying the single issues.
there was a mini-series my brother was buying with art by Glen Fabry that he also had the trade on pre-order.
for what ever reason (guessing low sales?) thew trade was cancelled.
one story he was reading (No place like Home by Image) didn't even conclude it's first story arc.

... Perhaps you should dust off your back issues. Donnie's shell, Shredder's head, Viktor's hand, Mikey and Hun beating the hell out of each other, Splinter's leg, Takeshi Tatsuo's foot, The Neutrino Royalty beating, (I could go on).

This series is frequently all kinds of explicitly violent. Really don't understand where you're coming from.

yeah, even since the very beginning!!
issue #5 especially. it had Tang Shen's Death, Hamato Yoshi go all berserk terminator of her assassin's.
then later on in the same issue Hamato and son's executions.

http://static3.comicvine.com/uploads/original/6/67602/3111982-yoshi+demise+02.jpg

http://static6.comicvine.com/uploads/original/6/67602/2213841-yoshi_saki_2.jpg

ironic how Saki decapitates Yoshi in #05
the Yoshi ends up decapitating Saki in #50

https://longestwind.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/tmnt-50-10.jpg

ToTheNines
09-03-2016, 10:59 AM
@mycoinus also great examples. Even before that, the Jones family domestic violence was pretty grim, Splinter performed a pretty messy ocular surgery on Hob AND a ninja in the same issue, then Hob getting 3 shuriken to the arm was followed by a pretty ugly brawl with Raph, plenty of blood.

So yeah, outside of the turtles not being allowed to plainly kill, IDW really doesn't pull any punches.

Utrommaniac
09-03-2016, 02:52 PM
They actually showed Shredder's decapitation as well! It was probably best that they didn't show the children being killed; that really would not have flown.

To add more

The royal "Holy F***!!!" of where Krang got his suit...and the exact nature of how he got it. I'm surprised he doesn't reference that as a threat. "I killed a man with a pointed stick when I was a teenager, don't think I won't do the same to you now!"

Then personally shoving people who would not join him into a furnace like he was King Nebuchadnezzar.
At least I guess that's what it was.

And THEN somehow managing to kill a Stone Soldier out of spite with his bare tentacles...and drawing blood...???
(I'm so glad Mr. Curnow is calling bull on that as much as I am.)

The carnage of it isn't shown, but you all know that Shredder setting fire to Alopex's home forest would have made some ugly deaths.

Shredder publicly executing the...French rival group. They were so low-impact that's all I remember about them.

Leatherhead's carnage on Burnow. And worse, that they just left it while letting out the Utroms. You just don't do that, for so many reasons. I don't know how Churk and Yoom didn't see it, since it was right across from their room.

The carnage on Neutrino and Utrominion respectively.

I haven't read Infestation, but I'm sure that's an ugly piece of work to some extent.
At least every collected book has some amount of massive bloodshed, and Zodi's in TCRI is no exception.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-03-2016, 04:44 PM
It's like any good PG-13 movie. It clearly communicates the violence, using blood as able and gore sparingly, but pulls very few punches.

And I almost always prefer a PG-13 story to an R-story. I think it takes more skill to communicate violence without gore than just go "squibs and splatters" everywhere.

If only people would stop freaking out over the "F-bomb"... that I do feel the lack of in PG-13 movies. Wolverine gets his one "go f yourself" joke and that's it. :tlol:

Utrommaniac
09-03-2016, 06:33 PM
And let's face it, there are G-rated movies that could give IDW TMNT a run for its money
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/42/Movie_poster_watership_down.jpg

myconius
09-03-2016, 07:45 PM
@mycoinus also great examples. Even before that, the Jones family domestic violence was pretty grim, Splinter performed a pretty messy ocular surgery on Hob AND a ninja in the same issue, then Hob getting 3 shuriken to the arm was followed by a pretty ugly brawl with Raph, plenty of blood.

So yeah, outside of the turtles not being allowed to plainly kill, IDW really doesn't pull any punches.

thank you. yeah, i forgot about that Splinter/Hob 'Eyeball' Chomp!! :lol:
not to mention before they were mutated, Hob was trying to eat Raphael.

this is no lie, my all time favorite comic i buy! and to think i almost passed on it cuz at the time i was already overloaded with titles in my pull-list. most of which were either dropped or got cancelled ....or BOTH.

It's like any good PG-13 movie. It clearly communicates the violence, using blood as able and gore sparingly, but pulls very few punches.

And I almost always prefer a PG-13 story to an R-story. I think it takes more skill to communicate violence without gore than just go "squibs and splatters" everywhere.

If only people would stop freaking out over the "F-bomb"... that I do feel the lack of in PG-13 movies. Wolverine gets his one "go f yourself" joke and that's it. :tlol:

that Wolverine line was my favorite part of the movie! :D

if it's done right, an R-rated movie can be a masterpiece.
the original Psycho is among my favorites, though at the time it was rated 'Mature Audiences'.

And let's face it, there are G-rated movies that could give IDW TMNT a run for its money
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/42/Movie_poster_watership_down.jpg

Watership Down was rated 'G'??? :lol:
terrific movie BTW!! :D

DK2
09-04-2016, 07:19 PM
Don't really understand why this is $4.99 cover price. Page wise its the same as a regular IDW comic length isn't it? I counted a 20 pg story and then the 4 page extra short story. How is that to be priced more than the $3.99 issues at all? That just irks me off. Really IDW? Charge a whole dollar for what? Another 4 pages? Comics already are expensive as it is and this just seems like IDW's going "we have a 2nd TMNT title, lets charge more". Couldn't bother to justify that whole dollar and since I'm in Canada every comic store charges the cover price and then tallies the exchange rate. Thats way over almost $6.50 CAN.

ToTheNines
09-04-2016, 08:05 PM
Only #1 is an extra buck. Rest of the series will be $3.99.

funatic
09-05-2016, 01:12 AM
Only #1 is an extra buck. Rest of the series will be $3.99.

Actually in the Ask the Editor thread Bobby said it would remain at $5 as long as they continue to include backup stories.

ToTheNines
09-05-2016, 04:30 AM
Oh, ok. I was just confused because the solicits for 2-4 all say $3.99. Looks like all covers for #2 are showing the correct price point. Whatever, it's worth it to me.

Sabacooza
09-05-2016, 06:18 AM
I wonder if Universe will continue to have the cardstock covers. I like that it makes the book feel more high end.

RaphaelsIsolation
09-06-2016, 04:27 PM
So I snagged this on a discount at a local comic shop for 4.00, I was surprised to see it cost 5.

Anyways, the cover I got was the SUB cover. And I think it looks fairly familiar to me? It was the Eastman/Laird cover. That isn't a new cover they've done right? I don't think so.

I did like the comic, I'll have to re-read it again tonight to get a better grab of it, but I wasn't crazy about it. The new mutant is cool I guess, and does have some cynic personality which was cool. There's good action, and all that and I did like the Baxter snapping at April bit too.

I guess I was expecting a more bright setting or something with TMNT in this one. Like a Archie meets Tales thing, but brighter colors and less darkness in overall texture/color.

Like I said, it was a good #1, and I do hope that they keep the Universe stuff to 2-4 issues and switch it out to something else.

The backup story has been getting killed here... I liked it. I thought it was cool to see Leo a bit cocky. It was a little OOC for him though.

A backup story is just a small side story that has 0 ties to the main story in which it is featured in right guys?

I'd give it a B+ I think. They did well.

myconius
09-06-2016, 05:46 PM
The backup story has been getting killed here... I liked it. I thought it was cool to see Leo a bit cocky. It was a little OOC for him though.

i really enjoyed the back-up story.

Powder
09-06-2016, 07:33 PM
I guess I was expecting a more bright setting or something with TMNT in this one. Like a Archie meets Tales thing, but brighter colors and less darkness in overall texture/color.

A backup story is just a small side story that has 0 ties to the main story in which it is featured in right guys?

It's a companion to the ongoing, so it has to be stylistically consistent with it. The stories & settings will be all over the place, I imagine, but it seems IDW's TMNT comics will always have dramatic leanings, so I wouldn't bank on too much in the way of "fun" or cheery palettes beyond the extent of previous works. I could be wrong, but if they're all to be arcs where a threat is posed, it will likely remain as is. But this would indeed be a great vehicle in which to flex the slice of life side of things that IDW has immensely underused! A multi-part road trip or bonding with nature experience, something like that would be awesome & align with your visual expectations (which could make for a nice change of pace so long as it's not accompanied by a goofier tone). There's room for occasional pleasantries, I think, especially if you jump around the timeline.

I guess it could be seen as a little OOC for this version of Leonardo, probably because Kevin's turtles always read like they're from Mirage. Wouldn't bat an eyelash at such a display in an older comic, it could've come right out of Shellshock. But maybe he's just feeling more confident with Shredder out of the way. :trazz: Yes, that is what a back-up is. It isn't usually related to the rest of the story itself, but is often is tied to the overall continuity of its series.

myconius
09-06-2016, 07:58 PM
I guess it could be seen as a little OOC for this version of Leonardo, probably because Kevin's turtles always read like they're from Mirage. Wouldn't bat an eyelash at such a display in an older comic, it could've come right out of Shellshock.

i definitely agree that the Leo back-up story felt very much like some of the writing from Mirage. probably why i enjoyed it so much?
many forget the sass Leo displayed in 'Don't Judge a Book' when he was fighting the robbers dressed as a Granny. :lol:

many people just assume that would be out of character for him, but reading enough stories you get to see that is a side to his character. it's just rarely seen.
in Mirage, Leo DID secretly sign Raphael up for the Barry Manilow Fan Club that one time. :D

one of the problems that i've felt with the IDW Tmnt is that we've had the Micro-series for each Character, but most stories don't really focus on any down-time. there's never really a break from all the conflict (unless it's the occasional stop at Rupert's Pizzeria)

at least now that we finally have a new comic title to help expand the story, the Turtles aren't feeling so much like guest stars in their own series to me anymore.

CyberCubed
09-07-2016, 11:42 AM
one of the problems that i've felt with the IDW Tmnt is that we've had the Micro-series for each Character, but most stories don't really focus on any down-time. there's never really a break from all the conflict (unless it's the occasional stop at Rupert's Pizzeria)

I'd love to see issues where the Turtles just skateboard down in the sewers or go surfing.

myconius
09-07-2016, 12:12 PM
I'd love to see issues where the Turtles just skateboard down in the sewers or go surfing.

i'd really love to see that too!
even if it were just done as a 'one-shot'.

Utrommaniac
09-07-2016, 01:09 PM
Heck, I'd like an entire mini series about the characters doing something with down time. Turtles doing some sewer sports (which when you think about it is a little gross...), Stockman and Fugitoid somehow ending up playing chess while Krang skulks and reminisces on how he used to take time off with other Utroms, tea time with Shredder and Karai, Bludgeon and Koya fishing or something.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-07-2016, 01:18 PM
Heck, I'd like an entire mini series about the characters doing something with down time. Turtles doing some sewer sports (which when you think about it is a little gross...), Stockman and Fugitoid somehow ending up playing chess while Krang skulks and reminisces on how he used to take time off with other Utroms, tea time with Shredder and Karai, Bludgeon and Koya fishing or something.

Bludgeon and Koya fishing? Awesome. :tlol:

Utrommaniac
09-07-2016, 01:46 PM
Probably with harpoons or their own bare hands. I mean, that seems like something a hawk and a shark would enjoy.
Though, sitting in a canoe with dinky fishing poles would be a gem too.

myconius
09-07-2016, 01:49 PM

the idea about the sewer sports sounds fun.

i was thinking maybe even have them venture off to like a water park or something? use their stealth to enter after hours and go on the rides.

it'd actually be pretty cool to see Fugitoid and Harold playing chess

provided Harold survives his latest adventure!!!

Utrommaniac
09-07-2016, 02:01 PM
He probably will; Mr. Curnow said something about not killing off a lot of characters down the line. Pretty sure his butt's just going to be dragged back to the ex-girlfriend and the turtles have to save him.

Chess was more of Stockman's thing, especially since that's how he viewed life as. All things considered, now that I think about it, Krang probably spends what spare time he has by being alone in the stasis room...which is what he was doing when Stockman stumbled in.

myconius
09-07-2016, 02:15 PM
He probably will; Mr. Curnow said something about not killing off a lot of characters down the line. Pretty sure his butt's just going to be dragged back to the ex-girlfriend and the turtles have to save him.

i really hope so!!!
Harold is one of my favorite of the supporting cast!

Chess was more of Stockman's thing, especially since that's how he viewed life as. All things considered, now that I think about it, Krang probably spends what spare time he has by being alone in the stasis room...which is what he was doing when Stockman stumbled in.

i was thinking that about Stockman and Chess.
some crazy events would have to happen to pair up Him and Fugitoid to actually play a Game together!
but good point!!!
if Fugitoid and Harold were to actually play ANYTHING, it'd probably be some old retro videogame system prototype that Harold developed entirely himself.
.......which of course had the designs stolen from him, leading to the product hitting the market as 'THE NEXT BIG THING', and poor Harold not getting an ounce of credit for it.

Utrommaniac
09-07-2016, 02:55 PM
I don't know if video games are Fugitoid's thing either :lol: . But I can see him and Harold working together on a thing for fun.
(Or more likely because something needed to be fixed from Burnow and there was too much chaos and depression there - plus the Utroms need the Fingered Ones for help)

myconius
09-07-2016, 03:06 PM
I don't know if video games are Fugitoid's thing either :lol: . But I can see him and Harold working together on a thing for fun.
(Or more likely because something needed to be fixed from Burnow and there was too much chaos and depression there - plus the Utroms need the Fingered Ones for help)

just imagine it. Fugitoid wouldn't even need a controller!
he could just plug himself right into the console.

that actually sounds like a nice little plot point that should be introduced! :D

yeah, the Utroms will need something to take their minds off all the Murder and Horror that went on at Burnow.
otherwise they might be liable to do something crazy like wake up Ch'rell and start an uprise! :lol:

Utrommaniac
09-07-2016, 04:08 PM
Well, they'll have to at some point anyway; they'd just have to figure out how to deal with him reacting to Krang being imprisoned. I have my own thoughts about how and why Ma'riell is concerned about his reaction, but I might be looking too deep into it.

I think more about the PTSD and trauma many of them would be facing, considering that from their point of view, they lost their homeworld "yesterday". They've got more than just Leatherhead's murder and horror on their minds.

myconius
09-07-2016, 04:21 PM
Well, they'll have to at some point anyway; they'd just have to figure out how to deal with him reacting to Krang being imprisoned. I have my own thoughts about how and why Ma'riell is concerned about his reaction, but I might be looking too deep into it.

I think more about the PTSD and trauma many of them would be facing, considering that from their point of view, they lost their homeworld "yesterday". They've got more than just Leatherhead's murder and horror on their minds.

yeah, this situation with the Utroms is just a ticking time bomb just waiting to happen.

in desperate times i can see even rational minds collapsing under the strain.

SwiftNinjaFox
09-08-2016, 07:34 AM
Alopex is also rather similar to Ninjara from the Archie comics. Having another rogue fox character who starts off as an assassin but then befriends the Turtles and gets romantically interested in Raphael is something we've seen before in the 90's.

Bit late to the discussion, but wanted to chime in:

I had hoped they'd go a different route with her. When they arrived at the farm, I was hoping she was going to sort of pair off with Leo as her friend/ally akin to how Raph is typically with Casey and we have Don with Harold. Mike's got his friend at the pizza place (and I'm surprised that cop he worked with in his 1 shot hasn't come back up).

I had hoped pairing Leo with Alopex would have allowed her to develop as a character without having to slip into the romantic interest role.

Plus I wanted Raph to continue not to trust her so by having Leo do so, actually put more foundation between the two of them butting heads down the road.

Plus, c'mon, having Rat King's chosen game piece and Kitsune's chosen game piece actually be good friends? That just makes for a perfect conflict.

Alas, they just went the shipping route. -_-

Utrommaniac
09-08-2016, 07:47 AM
Yeah, that's a big part of my disappointment with Alopex as well - the shipping fodder.

Though, I'd say Jennika is being set up as Leo's Human Friend judging from the most recent regular issue.

myconius
09-08-2016, 11:25 AM
I had hoped pairing Leo with Alopex would have allowed her to develop as a character without having to slip into the romantic interest role.

Yeah, that's a big part of my disappointment with Alopex as well - the shipping fodder.

that's one of my biggest problems with MOST writing is the "we've GOT to have them Hook-up" cliches!!!

it's so formulaic and overly done TO DEATH!!! :roll:

SwiftNinjaFox
09-08-2016, 02:23 PM
Another reason I was hoping they'd pair her with Leo. He seems the most likely to be easy to develop her with as partners in crimefighting without going down that path.

Cuz, I mean, seriously, who ships Leo? (Wait, no...don't answer that.) :lol:

Utrommaniac
09-08-2016, 02:51 PM
that's one of my biggest problems with MOST writing is the "we've GOT to have them Hook-up" cliches!!!

it's so formulaic and overly done TO DEATH!!! :roll:

Yeah, I'm watching a show now that's pretty much doing the same thing. There's only one way to describe that situation, and it's this
l1YmS_VDvMY

I'm pretty sure a good number of my ships are pre-existing relationships...at least they were when I was a kid. Now, I'm not getting any "Makorra bottles" for my personal IDW ship until I have a little more fodder to do so.

Usually Leo is shipped with Usagi, which I guess works in some retrospects.

myconius
09-08-2016, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I'm watching a show now that's pretty much doing the same thing. There's only one way to describe that situation, and it's this
l1YmS_VDvMY

I'm pretty sure a good number of my ships are pre-existing relationships...at least they were when I was a kid. Now, I'm not getting any "Makorra bottles" for my personal IDW ship until I have a little more fodder to do so.

Usually Leo is shipped with Usagi, which I guess works in some retrospects.

it just seems like most writers think characters of different sexes have absolutely zero control over their hormones.
like their animals in heat or something? ......in this series LITERALLY :lol:

bushido
09-16-2016, 05:02 PM
A Washington Post article about TMNT Universe. Neat :tsmile:.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2016/09/13/a-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-comic-that-wont-star-the-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles/

myconius
09-16-2016, 05:22 PM
A Washington Post article about TMNT Universe. Neat :tsmile:.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2016/09/13/a-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-comic-that-wont-star-the-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles/

the Washington Post? alright! :D