PDA

View Full Version : How to eliminate smoke / cigarette smell from TMNT action figures?

tmntskid
08-26-2016, 01:58 AM
Hi everyone,

I just got a lot of Playmates TMNT action figures. They are in great condition, but the thing is that they have smoke smell.

Some of you know how to remove this smell? It is really strong. I have my figures outside taking some fresh air for almost a week, but the smell is still there.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Powder
08-26-2016, 02:12 AM
Smoke is a pretty lasting scent, I'm afraid. You'd need Shenron to help you wish it away.

SurrealBrain
08-26-2016, 02:20 AM
Shenron or something. Washing might help if you know what to use that won't damage figures, but I don't know how to do that, and even if I did, I dunno if it'd help.

ToTheNines
08-26-2016, 03:05 AM
Lol, oh my god. It's happening isn't it?

snake
08-26-2016, 07:39 AM
Where's my IT'S HAPPENING gif when I need it?

tmntman
08-26-2016, 08:10 AM
Clean the figure well. Don't use anything too abrasive. Dish washing liquid and a soft bristle brush should be all you need. (old tooth brushes work great)

Once clean, place the figure in an air tight bag with an odor absorbing material. Baking soda and cat litter both work well. The figure doesn't have to be touching the material, it's actually better if it doesn't so you don't have to clean it off again afterward.

Check back in a few days to a week depending upon the severity of the problem.

tmntskid
08-26-2016, 11:40 AM
Thank you all for your answers.

Clean the figure well. Don't use anything too abrasive. Dish washing liquid and a soft bristle brush should be all you need. (old tooth brushes work great)

Once clean, place the figure in an air tight bag with an odor absorbing material. Baking soda and cat litter both work well. The figure doesn't have to be touching the material, it's actually better if it doesn't so you don't have to clean it off again afterward.

Check back in a few days to a week depending upon the severity of the problem.

I've already wash them with a liquid hand soap, using an old toot brush. I've also used vinegar because I read somewhere it can work. However, the smoke smell is still there, not as strong as before, but it is still there.

I will try with baking soda, and I will be commenting how it is going. Thank you tmntman.

tmntskid
08-27-2016, 12:11 AM

Now, I am trying with baking soda. I am not sure if that amount of baking soda is enough. Thanks

https://s13.postimg.org/g8qvmu3l3/Untitled_1.png

Shark_Blade
08-27-2016, 12:28 AM
That some strong smoke smell wowza.

thundermaster612
08-27-2016, 07:11 AM
Wingnut's mechanical wings malfunctioned and exploded leaving behind a smoke smell

tmntskid
08-27-2016, 04:26 PM
Where's my IT'S HAPPENING gif when I need it?

Lol, oh my god. It's happening isn't it?

That some strong smoke smell wowza.

Wingnut's mechanical wings malfunctioned and exploded leaving behind a smoke smell

Sorry, I am not sure if I am missing something everybody knows but me.

jestermon
08-27-2016, 07:51 PM
It won't happen there are tons of myths about "removing" the smell.

tmntman
08-27-2016, 10:56 PM
Now, I am trying with baking soda. I am not sure if that amount of baking soda is enough. Thanks

https://s13.postimg.org/g8qvmu3l3/Untitled_1.png

Keep in mind that this process can take a while. You may need to keep it sealed like that for a week. And if there is still much smell left, you might want to put it back in for longer.

tmntskid
08-28-2016, 03:11 AM
It won't happen there are tons of myths about "removing" the smell.
Thank you for your honest answer.

Keep in mind that this process can take a while. You may need to keep it sealed like that for a week. And if there is still much smell left, you might want to put it back in for longer.
Two of them whose smoke smell was not as strong are fine now. The smoke smell is gone. I used vinegar and put them outside for a few days. However, the other ones keep the smell, not as strong as before, but they still have the smell. I am trying baking soda with these ones. I will let you know how it is going. Thank you for your help.