PDA

View Full Version : Official Episode Discussion S4 Ep 17: The Insecta Trifecta

Vicky82
08-28-2016, 02:43 AM
https://67.media.tumblr.com/a399187f3363d281d72225e077d066bc/tumblr_oclz9h3C2n1rj6kxdo1_540.jpg

Raphael must overcome his fear of insects to lead the team when they are forced to battle Stockman-Fly's new insect minions.

The episode is up on I Tunes

Vicky82
08-28-2016, 04:38 AM
Good episode but not as good as the last 2 episodes but Splinter helping Raph to get over his hallucination/fear was awesome, I loved there interactions.

Some moments where disgusting, bug sick, Raph kissing the bug, mutating ants having mutating ants come out of there backside. Bug sick coming out of it's butt.

As expected Raph was hallucinating when he was kissing that bug, he thought he was kissing Mona Lisa.

The return of Turflytle :D

The end fight scene was great, I loved Karia and April's little team up.

Shredder is slowly mutating.

Powder
08-28-2016, 05:49 AM
Scumbug was dope. I knew that's who he'd be as soon as I spotted the ripped business attire. :tlol: Overall a decent episode, if a bit repetitive in nature for this series (Raph's fear of bugs is ground retread one time too many, perhaps). As expected, it was very similar to Son Of Return Of The Fly 2, though that is a favorite of mine. :)

The only thing that stuck out for me as a real negative is seeing what special snowflakes the gals have become back to back. Psychic mutant tracking & snake powers all in one fell swoop. I miss the days when they were relatively normal chicks. Cool seeing those two get along, though!

snake
08-28-2016, 08:19 AM
I'm not going to be able to watch the episode until monday or tuesday, but was Shinigami in it?

Vicky82
08-28-2016, 08:28 AM
I'm not going to be able to watch the episode until monday or tuesday, but was Shinigami in it?

No she wasn't, Karai was though and we got Casey back and talking.

Redworld96
08-28-2016, 08:53 AM
Vicky you need to put the french kiss in the poll today LOL

Funny episode, no Shini this time but I loved the team Karai/April

Sensei laught at the end of the episode .... it was cute :)

snake
08-28-2016, 08:58 AM
No she wasn't, Karai was though and we got Casey back and talking.

You want Shinigami? Ok, Casey doesn't talk and appears in the background

You want Casey? Ok, f*ck off for an episode Shinigami

:lol:

GoldMutant
08-28-2016, 10:04 AM
From now on, I'm putting my reviews under spoilers due to length. :) Overall, better than last two weeks in some capacity, but still irritating.

"When you're on a planet filled with bugs, you're not afraid anymore." (several mutant bugs arrive, scarring him.) :roll:

Honestly, the bug phobia was a very forced premise due to this one line of dialogue. I get when you have a serious fear, it lingers onward until you recover. Regardless, even with the Splinter mantra (btw, I liked Splinter and Raph getting a moment, now need a Mikey/Splinter one) which was useless in the end, it just feels like a slap in the face.

The whole phobia to me overtook the actual story: Baxter finally gaining relevance again. Some of you may know that he's actually my favorite TMNT villain, more than the Foot and Krang themselves. However, it feels like he and the reintroductions of Antrax and Scumbug were second fiddle slightly. I did like Antrax's appearance, Scumbug not so much.

Anyways, for Baxter, where did his character go? I know in FW and 2k3 he plays Shredder's lackey. Anyone remember when Baxter was laughable in his attempts in this series, like the dumpster? Anyone remember when he was tragic after becoming a fly? Well, besides the name gag, he has no character. It's the same problem Aaron pointed out last week with April and Splinter, with the former this week I'm baffled by her being able to track mutants with little conflict. Again, powers first, personality second for April. Casey also while subdued lacks any character, it's gotten old.

Besides all my issues, I liked the final fight in the construction zone. There was Super Shredder foreshadowing, though I felt it didn't need to be seen to keep us more in the dark. There was a reference to Final Fight or Double Dragon in the beginning of the episode. Really, the nice little moments are still there, but the characterization is still lackluster and the same treading plot ground occurred. (Shredder's war with Karai, Raph's fears)

Not much to say this week, just a serious mixed bag for me. Not going to rate it at this time.

Vicky82
08-28-2016, 10:12 AM
From now on, I'm putting my reviews under spoilers due to length. :) Overall, better than last two weeks in some capacity, but still irritating.

"When you're on a planet filled with bugs, you're not afraid anymore." (several mutant bugs arrive, scarring him.) :roll:

Honestly, the bug phobia was a very forced premise due to this one line of dialogue. I get when you have a serious fear, it lingers onward until you recover. Regardless, even with the Splinter mantra (btw, I liked Splinter and Raph getting a moment, now need a Mikey/Splinter one) which was useless in the end, it just feels like a slap in the face.

The whole phobia to me overtook the actual story: Baxter finally gaining relevance again. Some of you may know that he's actually my favorite TMNT villain, more than the Foot and Krang themselves. However, it feels like he and the reintroductions of Antrax and Scumbug were second fiddle slightly. I did like Antrax's appearance, Scumbug not so much.

Anyways, for Baxter, where did his character go? I know in FW and 2k3 he plays Shredder's lackey. Anyone remember when Baxter was laughable in his attempts in this series, like the dumpster? Anyone remember when he was tragic after becoming a fly? Well, besides the name gag, he has no character. It's the same problem Aaron pointed out last week with April and Splinter, with the former this week I'm baffled by her being able to track mutants with little conflict. Again, powers first, personality second for April. Casey also while subdued lacks any character, it's gotten old.

Besides all my issues, I liked the final fight in the construction zone. There was Super Shredder foreshadowing, though I felt it didn't need to be seen to keep us more in the dark. There was a reference to Final Fight or Double Dragon in the beginning of the episode. Really, the nice little moments are still there, but the characterization is still lackluster and the same treading plot ground occurred. (Shredder's war with Karai, Raph's fears)

Not much to say this week, just a serious mixed bag for me. Not going to rate it at this time.

Length????? it's not that big.

ToTheNines
08-28-2016, 10:21 AM
Watching right now. What's up with the animation? It's very fluid, but I feel like all the characters have this weird, exaggerated, loopy way of moving. Strange.

GoldMutant
08-28-2016, 10:35 AM

Huh, thought it would be bigger. :-? Either way, I'm keeping it under spoilers if I review earlier than the actual time it's on.

pannoni1
08-28-2016, 10:35 AM
Goriwai Namino Initiwai (sp?) certainly needs to be a poll option and was the best part of the episode. That said, the second half of Season 4 continues to deliver good continuity, and to quote an OT episode, is a Big Bug Blunder. It didn't feel as deep as the previous episodes with a lot of recycling, but still had some fun action in it with all of the usual things that a Turtle fan would come to know, from a mutation, to a variation on a familiar weapon, to the rooftop actions, captures, rescues, robberies, pizza, and all the like.

Show Grade: 7/10

ToTheNines
08-28-2016, 10:41 AM
Cool episode, I enjoyed it. Hopefully no more phobia Raph from now on.

Kinda funny that last week we got a Nightwatcher shout out, and this week the big action set piece was cribbed from the Bigfoot scene.

Aaronardo
08-28-2016, 10:43 AM
Two writers should be writing these things more often. That was honestly miles better than the show has been in recent memory, and the closest it's come to Season 1 writing in a long time. Still a long ways away, but I do have to applaud them for everything they accomplished in this particular episode.

For one, I was very happy to see Splinter's personality come back for this episode. The mantra he teaches Raphael and the joke that comes with it at the end is classic 2012 Splinter, and I really wish we got more of that. He's a troll. That's what makes him a fun character. I hope we get some more of that in any coming episodes. Can we get April's personality back now? :)

First Raph-centric episode in a long time that actually gave the character a chance to shine. Not so much his personality, but he gets a chance to be put in the limelight, and for what we were given, I liked what we saw. Could've given us more of his personality to make it even better, but I do have to appreciate what we got since we haven't got that in a long time.

The humor DEFINITELY took a step up in this episode. The characters didn't play off of each other which is what made the show so great in its first two seasons, but the humor here was still really good. Next hurdle is for the writers to realize that you can have humor in otherwise serious episodes.

The plot, however, was this episode's downfall. Not as bad as the last two episodes, but Shredder suddenly being incredibly nice to Baxter when that just puts both characters out-of-character was a little strange. The plot itself felt somewhat rushed but to be fair, it had a clear beginning, middle, and end, which, ironically, is something that has alluded this show for quite some time.

Basically, what I'm saying is this filler episode about Baxter being out of character and Raph's bug fear is one of the best episodes of the season so far. While that's kind of sad, at the same time, the episode itself is actually quite good. I hope we get more episodes like this in the future, as the show is clearly trying to get itself back on track.

PApagreg
08-28-2016, 10:52 AM

One of my many problems with this show is that the writers add too many mutants and villians without focusing on Shredder's lackey, we already seen Xever with his underground street racing why not see the other mutants. You can do so much with Bradford's loyalty to Shredder, Tiger Claw bounty hunting, Zecks thievery, Rocksteady's arm contracts and etc. Hell sometimes I forget Hun even exists half the time and Don Vizio next apperance is his only spotlight episode. 2/3 of this show is either Mutants or Shredder, I wants some magic and martial arts for gods sake.

Also why the hell was Baxter being nice and loyal to Shredder. That statement should't exist but for some reason the writers made it possible

Vicky82
08-28-2016, 10:55 AM
Can I just point out that this is not a filler episode, all the last 3 episodes are connected.

Two writers should be writing these things more often. That was honestly miles better than the show has been in recent memory, and the closest it's come to Season 1 writing in a long time. Still a long ways away, but I do have to applaud them for everything they accomplished in this particular episode.

For one, I was very happy to see Splinter's personality come back for this episode. The mantra he teaches Raphael and the joke that comes with it at the end is classic 2012 Splinter, and I really wish we got more of that. He's a troll. That's what makes him a fun character. I hope we get some more of that in any coming episodes. Can we get April's personality back now? :)

First Raph-centric episode in a long time that actually gave the character a chance to shine. Not so much his personality, but he gets a chance to be put in the limelight, and for what we were given, I liked what we saw. Could've given us more of his personality to make it even better, but I do have to appreciate what we got since we haven't got that in a long time.

The humor DEFINITELY took a step up in this episode. The characters didn't play off of each other which is what made the show so great in its first two seasons, but the humor here was still really good. Next hurdle is for the writers to realize that you can have humor in otherwise serious episodes.

The plot, however, was this episode's downfall. Not as bad as the last two episodes, but Shredder suddenly being incredibly nice to Baxter when that just puts both characters out-of-character was a little strange. The plot itself felt somewhat rushed but to be fair, it had a clear beginning, middle, and end, which, ironically, is something that has alluded this show for quite some time.

Basically, what I'm saying is this filler episode about Baxter being out of character and Raph's bug fear is one of the best episodes of the season so far. While that's kind of sad, at the same time, the episode itself is actually quite good. I hope we get more episodes like this in the future, as the show is clearly trying to get itself back on track.

Shredder was 'nice and out of character' because he is injured and possibly having drugs pumped into him as well as the mutagen. He won't be like that when he becomes stronger and fully mutate into Super Shredder.

Also why the hell was Baxter being nice and loyal to Shredder. That statement should't exist but for some reason the writers made it possible

He's being a Kiss ass and he's only one that can help Shredder due to his injuries and change him into Super Shredder.

Yoshimickster
08-28-2016, 10:58 AM
A lot of people take issue with Raph retreading on his fears and I'd like to say he's not facing fear this episode, he's facing PTSD! He was on a planet full of giant insects, RIGHT before his girlfriend betrayed him, that messed him up! I was really glad they put Mona Lisa in the hallucination and showing it as a BAD thing, showing that things in "The Evil of Dregg" didn't magically go back to normal at the end, at least sub-consciously. There are things they need to talk about when she comes back.

EITHER WEITHER-this episode RULED, the action, the humor, the omni-directional move gear, the fact that Baxter Stockman is probably Shredder's best minion, and that AWESOME ending. A great half standalone half story ep in my book.

Aaronardo
08-28-2016, 11:07 AM
Can I just point out that this is not a filler episode, all the last 3 episodes are connected.

An episode that does not mainly focus on the main plot is considered by many to be a filler episode. While bits and pieces of the main plot show up in this episode, the episode's main focus is a fun little episode about Baxter, his lackeys, and Raph's fear of bugs.

Shredder being nice, he's injured, possibly drugged up and having mutagen pumping into him so yeah it will obviously make him out of character.

That's an inference. The writers need to tell us these things if they want us to know. It's like Lilo & Stitch 2 (strange example, I know, I had just randomly watched this movie last night). In it, Jumba keeps the reason Stitch is malfunctioning from the rest of the family, which causes a lot of the plot points, hence plot convenience. Now, the reason for Jumba keeping this secret from the family is clear to me. He doesn't want anyone to worry so he can fix this problem without anyone really knowing about it. However, this is never addressed in the movie. Thus, it just feels like lazy writing.

That's more or less the effect here. Yes, Shredder's going to be nice to Baxter because he's basically the guy making him stronger. But since that is just glossed over, it comes off as lazy writing. Not that I'm complaining, though. It's a nitpick compared to everything else the episode gave us.

Yoshimickster
08-28-2016, 11:11 AM
He's nice to Baxter since he's the only one doing a good job! Tiger Claw had a stinkin' army of robot super soldiers, a cyborg dance fighter, and Russian heavy, and he was STILL beaten by six teenagers and a bunch of nameless canon-fodder. Seriously, give them all names, without them they are weak!

Shell, the only reason Stockman Fly lost was because he didn't know about the grapple-harnesses, before that he captured two Leo, April, Karai, Casey, and not Shinigami because she and Casey can't be in the same place at the same time or else they'll explode like anti-matter...or Viacom's just cheap with its voice acting budget.

Vicky82
08-28-2016, 11:14 AM
An episode that does not mainly focus on the main plot is considered by many to be a filler episode. While bits and pieces of the main plot show up in this episode, the episode's main focus is a fun little episode about Baxter, his lackeys, and Raph's fear of bugs.

It's still connected to the main story, if you skipped the last episode you be confused on watching this episode.

- Baxter went out to steal money for Shredder that was lost in the last episode.

- Karai and the Turtles are looking for Shredder.

- Shredder starting to mutate

These episodes are fillers, they don't mention the main story

The Weird World of Wyrm

Pizza Face

Mazes & Mutants

Parasitica

Ninjinister
08-28-2016, 11:14 AM
The writers need to tell us these things if they want us to know.

No, not especially.

NinjaMan
08-28-2016, 11:16 AM
What exactly are they going to do with those mutants they caught? Nice to not see Shinigami this week.

Yoshimickster
08-28-2016, 11:18 AM
What exactly are they going to do with those mutants they caught? Nice to not see Shinigami this week.

Unspeakable things.

GoldMutant
08-28-2016, 11:19 AM
He's nice to Baxter since he's the only one doing a good job! Tiger Claw had a stinkin' army of robot super soldiers, a cyborg dance fighter, and Russian heavy, and he was STILL beaten by six teenagers and a bunch of nameless canon-fodder. Seriously, give them all names, without them they are weak!

What has Baxter done besides giving him life support via mutagen? :roll: The only things Baxter has done is make mutants (Serpent Hunt, this episode, Vengeance is Mine if you want to count it, and the joke from Lonely Mutation) and perfect the mind control worms in Deadly Venom, and guess what? Karai was freed in the end.

Seriously, if he had more focus, I guarantee Baxter would've had his body parts removed like 2k3 or something along that caliber.

The Weird World of Wyrm

Pizza Face

Mazes & Mutants

Parasitica

A wasp appeared in Metalhead Rewired, Mazes and Mutants has been referenced twice now here and last week (at least the game, not Malachi), Pizza Face is purely subjective because of the pizza in Meet Mondo Gecko (either way, PF was trash). The only one that's truly filler of these episodes is Wyrm.

BubblyShell22
08-28-2016, 11:19 AM
I thought this episode was really good. Raph really got some good development and I hope this is the end of his phobia. I loved the moments between Raph and Splinter and that bit at the end made me laugh as that's definitely something Splinter would do. However, it did work and helped Raph so that's a good thing and he did have a lesson about fear being nothing unless you make it something in your mind. Also loved Mikey and Leo arguing about Crognard vs. Space Heroes, the return of Karai and her team up with April, and the return of Turflytle.

Yes, Baxter is the only one who can help Shredder and Shredder knows this so that's why he's being nice to him. All of his other henchmen abandoned him, and I have a feeling they will pay for it later.

Overall, a very satisfying episode. Can't wait for next week.

PApagreg
08-28-2016, 11:22 AM

Shell, the only reason Stockman Fly lost was because he didn't know about the grapple-harnesses, before that he captured two Leo, April, Karai, Casey, and not Shinigami because she and Casey can't be in the same place at the same time or else they'll explode like anti-matter...or Viacom's just cheap with its voice acting budget.

Okay this might be crazy but how about put their skills in situations where they don't have to face teenagers also its not like Stockman is much of a fighter the only use he has is being the tech guy

Vicky82
08-28-2016, 11:25 AM

As Karai got control of Shredder's lair, she will probably lock them up in the dungeon.

A wasp appeared in Metalhead Rewired, Mazes and Mutants has been referenced twice now here and last week (at least the game, not Malachi), Pizza Face is purely subjective because of the pizza in Meet Mondo Gecko (either way, PF was trash). The only one that's truly filler of these episodes is Wyrm.

At the time of airing they were fillers. The creators only used them again for recycling and references so you can still consider them fillers.

snake
08-28-2016, 12:42 PM
No episode is a filler in a western cartoon. Just because it doesn't contribute to the main plot, doesn't mean it's "filler".

The term filler means that it's only there to take up time as the source material is to close to the show. There is no source material in question here, so nothing can be considered filler.

That being said, I wish some of the one off episodes were a written a little better. I liked Wyrn though. In my top 10 season 4 episodes fo sho

CyberCubed
08-28-2016, 01:06 PM
I'm glad Baxter got another episode as it was far too long since he had done anything. So Scumbug and Antrax finally debut in this show. They also showed the Cockroach Terminator in Raph's nightmares.

Weird they didn't bring him back though, we already have a cockroach mutant in the show.

Yoshimickster
08-28-2016, 01:35 PM
Yeah, what has Spy-Roach 1 been doing this whole time?

matteso586
08-28-2016, 01:41 PM
Its been a long time since Stockman corrected someone about his name.

Sad that the episode didn't bring up Stockman's desire to become human again.

Where was Shini when Stockman was attacking Karai?

LeotheLateBloomer
08-28-2016, 02:05 PM
Pretty good episode! I loved that Raph had to go to Splinter for advice. Finding out the meaning of the words in which Splinter gives out a simple answer at the end reminded me of the second episode where he gave Leo the simple answer "he asked". I love how gross this show is getting where you have a mutant ant spawning out clones of itself through its' backside and another mutant vomiting on Casey. My tastes can be weird at times.:lol:

victory_angel
08-28-2016, 02:11 PM
Yes, Baxter is the only one who can help Shredder and Shredder knows this so that's why he's being nice to him. All of his other henchmen abandoned him, and I have a feeling they will pay for it later.

They haven't abandoned him...he said they have grown useless. So they would still be with the Shredder next time we see him. No questions asked.

And even the so-called niceties the Shredder gives are sweetened insults such as "The only person who is still of any use is a lowly housefly."

As for Casey and Shinigami, they probably didn't have enough of a budget to include Phil Lamar and Gwendolyn Yeo. So we will see both Casey and Shini on screen further down the line.

I agree that Karai might have them locked up for the time being. Since Scumbug was an innocent human...(Not entirely sure about the Antrax) I can see her reforming the two of them and adding them to her cause or maybe telling Scumbug that if he behaves himself she can see about having his humanity restored. After all the guy who was controlling them just abandoned them. So possible payback time for Stockman later on.

TurFlytle
08-28-2016, 02:19 PM
Am I the only one who's happy that the police actually show up and do something for once since season 2? I know they were beaten easily, but do you think they would expect mutant insect creatures robbing a bank? :lol:

Vicky82
08-28-2016, 02:24 PM
I actually thought they were nicking ladies handbags but it was only money in them. :lol:

It would have been funny if it was ladies handbags they were stealing and then selling on ebay or on the black market :lol:

NinjaMan
08-28-2016, 02:28 PM
As Karai got control of Shredder's lair, she will probably lock them up in the dungeon.

At the time of airing they were fillers. The creators only used them again for recycling and references so you can still consider them fillers.

That's a good point. That would work as an excellent prison.

MikeandRaph87
08-28-2016, 02:31 PM
The DVR did not go off like it was supposed to. When does this get posted on Nick.com?

CyberCubed
08-28-2016, 02:41 PM
The DVR did not go off like it was supposed to. When does this get posted on Nick.com?

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Just watch it anywhere else.

MikeandRaph87
08-28-2016, 02:48 PM
Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Just watch it anywhere else.

It's not exactly legal and if I were to try to I have to have an account at site x that has the illegal stream.

Cjmart019
08-28-2016, 02:56 PM
Enjoyable episode! Attack on Titan homage?

oldmanwinters
08-28-2016, 03:17 PM
For whatever reason, it never struck me that the newly mutated dude was supposed to be the new "Scumbug." Always liked his ex-exterminator backstory for its tragic irony and gimmicky gadgets.

Commenter 42
08-28-2016, 03:39 PM
For whatever reason, it never struck me that the newly mutated dude was supposed to be the new "Scumbug." Always liked his ex-exterminator backstory for its tragic irony and gimmicky gadgets.

Lawyers are scumbugs. I agree though.

The episode overall was a 6.

LeotheLateBloomer
08-28-2016, 03:41 PM

Dude, I've had that happened to me before and it really annoyed the living day lights out of me!:tconfuse:

The Happy One
08-28-2016, 04:11 PM
Okey but that ep had such nice pacing and just enough character distribution and team-ups to keep me more than satisfied.
You had Karai and April, you had that splendid b-team, Leo and Mikey, Don and April (that was NATURAL), Casey and Raph and MAN! RAPH AND SPLINTER!!!
I loved that they had a moment because D and Leo usually take that spot and ugghhhh everything felt so fresh and funny!!!:lol:
Stockman was great and kept me laughing the whole way through, y'know?
Looking forward to our Mikey ep! They’ve been handling him well!
And, was it just me or is Donnie and Raph’s character FINALLY fitting right. They felt off in the first half of season 4 but I’m liking Don’s more…relaxed personality. It’s more likable actually. And Raph just HAD me the whole time :D

Very well done!

lonewarrior20
08-28-2016, 04:48 PM
i enjoyed it. i like that karais pretty much incorporated her mutation to her self and i love that she's getting use to the turtles. not to mention her bit on baxter and his bugs wanting to eat them. i kinda thought that was a shout out to troll 2.

TigerClaw
08-28-2016, 05:04 PM
I thought it was a good episode, not really into the whole bug mutant thing, which is kind of gross.

TLP
08-28-2016, 05:49 PM
Lovely. I needed to see a toothy anus spew green sh*t all over Casey. I'm sure the parents at home will love having their kids see that.

lonewarrior20
08-28-2016, 06:00 PM
Lovely. I needed to see a toothy anus spew green sh*t all over Casey. I'm sure the parents at home will love having their kids see that.

could've been worse. remember the gross stuff ren and stimpy use to get in to?

biganimefan
08-28-2016, 06:34 PM
It's not exactly legal and if I were to try to I have to have an account at site x that has the illegal stream.

Could always just wait for it to come out on DVD. That's what I do. I usually don't bother watching it on Nick.com 'cause it's not reliable.

Yoshimickster
08-28-2016, 06:49 PM
I wander if Stockman-Fly will rub it in Tiger Claw's face how better a minion he is. "I almost took out THREE main characters, AND my main project ended up succeeding so its like what-ever! You had an army of super robots, I HAD ANTS! Big ants, but still easily squished!"

oldmanwinters
08-28-2016, 07:09 PM
i enjoyed it. i like that karais pretty much incorporated her mutation to her self and i love that she's getting use to the turtles. not to mention her bit on baxter and his bugs wanting to eat them. i kinda thought that was a shout out to troll 2.

Yeah, I think it's great that Karai can be her normal self and rely upon her physical training 90% of the time, but still pull out the mutant option when it suits her needs. I thought that would have probably helped her to bust out of Stockman's web though... so I'm curious if she's limited from transforming fully into her snake form.

lonewarrior20
08-28-2016, 07:17 PM
Yeah, I think it's great that Karai can be her normal self and rely upon her physical training 90% of the time, but still pull out the mutant option when it suits her needs. I thought that would have probably helped her to bust out of Stockman's web though... so I'm curious if she's limited from transforming fully into her snake form.

yep or if they have her in a cell with the turtles waiting to be destroyed using her snake hands or tail to get at a hanging key on rocksteady while he falls asleep on guard duty. i know its kinda specific but i can see the writers coming up with it.

Ursalink
08-28-2016, 07:20 PM
Have you noticed that, when the Turtles and April came to the rescue of Karai from the bugs, April has the same "white ninja eyes" of the turtles? I think April is really turning into the fifth Turtle after all.

Yoshimickster
08-28-2016, 07:22 PM
Have you noticed that, when the Turtles and April came to the rescue of Karai from the bugs, April has the same "white ninja eyes" of the turtles? I think April is really turning into the fifth Turtle after all.

And I am cool with that.

ranger_scout
08-28-2016, 07:26 PM
This episode really reminded me of Snakes Alive! from the original series, which was really nice. However, this time around it was Raphael trying to overcome a phobia of creepy animals and Leonardo had to be rescued instead of having to save his brothers. Plus, Raph was given a meditation technique from Splinter while Leo in the original series was not given one. He just given advice that he just has to face his fears in order to overcome them, which was very important.

ninja-zero
08-28-2016, 09:30 PM
I hope they retromutate those bugs.

And Shredder mutating to Super Shredder bit by bit? AWESOME!

TigerClaw
08-28-2016, 09:32 PM
With all this buildup to Super Shredder, hopefully they save him for the Season 4 final.

oldmanwinters
08-28-2016, 11:57 PM

It's gotta be the shoes!

Or more likely the crystal shard.

victory_angel
08-29-2016, 12:24 AM
With all this buildup to Super Shredder, hopefully they save him for the Season 4 final.

There is supposedly an upcoming episode titled the Super Shredder, so we will be seeing him before the finale. Perhaps the Dark April events will be part of the finale.

CyberCubed
08-29-2016, 01:49 AM
I loved the Turtles/Casey playing that old-school 2D sidescrolling beat 'em up at the beginning. Heh, just like the old TMNT games and Streets of Rage.

Vicky82
08-29-2016, 03:47 AM

Her eyes were white because she was using the tracking mutants power.

That power first come up in the episode Eyes of the Chimera but then she couldn't control it.

neatoman
08-29-2016, 04:52 AM
I have several problems with this episode:

Why is Baxter loyal to the man who turned him into a fly? I thought he was going to betray Shredder with those mutagen treatments all things considered but I guess not.
Speaking of loyalty, Scumbug was clearly irritated with being kidnapped as a human so why isn't he ticked out being a mutant and why did his personality change so drastically after his mutation?
Why does Raph hallucinate throughout this episode? Can fear itself really do that?
Dregg wasn't actuallly an insect, he wasn't even a living being. Raph should know this.

There is also the thing about Scumbug being another mutant with a spider theme, they could have gone with Spider Bytez for this episode, you know the character who was introduced early on in season 1 but has only been given an actual role in 1 other episode since. I know why they did it:
http://i.imgur.com/Ny3IhxY.jpg
But I don't think it's a very good excuse for basically making the same character twice.

Vicky82
08-29-2016, 05:28 AM
I have several problems with this episode:

Why is Baxter loyal to the man who turned him into a fly? I thought he was going to betray Shredder with those mutagen treatments all things considered but I guess not.
Speaking of loyalty, Scumbug was clearly irritated with being kidnapped as a human so why isn't he ticked out being a mutant and why did his personality change so drastically after his mutation?
Why does Raph hallucinate throughout this episode? Can fear itself really do that?
Dregg wasn't actuallly an insect, he wasn't even a living being. Raph should know this.

1. Because Baxter was being a kiss ass and as Shredder was weak he was taking it as an advantage because he's the only mutant that can help him.

2. Because mutagen can change the mind, that's why scumbug wasn't angry about mutating. Baxter even said to Shredder that his mutation had to be slow so it didn't corrupted his mind.

3. It looked like he was going through PTSD as well, that's why he was hallucinating.

4. It looks like he's part insect part robot and he controls insects, that's why he was in Raph's mind.

I don't consider Spider Bytez evil though, he was asking for the turtles help in Metalhead rewired. He's more of a I don't care about others, only myself type of person/mutate.

xenopokemon
08-29-2016, 07:50 AM
Man... I really would have preferred if this episode included the other bug characters instead of making two new ones. Scumbug was really disturbing, just as or even more disturbing than the "Mega Shredder" in Season 3 (AND THAT IS SAYING SOMETHING). While his design was over the top, his character was.. not present. I think a piece of cardboard has more personality. And Anthrax is literally a drone so, can't do anything there. Shame.

In my opinion, there were enough insect mutants on the show to begin with. Spider Bytez, Cockroach Terminator (Or Spyroach), Parasitica Wasp (more feral but still counts), Baxter Stockfly, Lord Dregg and his army, and now these two bugthugs. Baxter could have been looking for some mutants to ally with and since Spider Bytez hasn't been seen for over a season, this would have been a nice way to include him. CT on the other hand, was in a hallucination and that doesn't cut it for me. PWs got one episode and a cameo in Metalhead Rewired (one of my personal favorite episodes). I would have loved it if they included all of those bug mutants. THAT would have been a formidable army.

No Shinigami :/ I want my senpai dang it.

I was surprised to see Lord Dregg (albeit in a hallucination) so I hope we will see him physically on Earth, assuming that his half insect/half robot (very unexplained) self survives in the vacuum of space. And if we see Dregg, I expect to see Armaggon, Mona Lisa, and Sal Commander (and freaking Newtralizer I swear they forgot about him). Fight scenes were good, as they all have been as the show progresses through the seasons.

My main issue with this episode was every scene with Casey in it (nah I'm kidding, but that was pretty hard to watch. At least he didn't say metal). The main issue was that it was a Raphcentric episode showing his worst quality, his fear. Sure, he overcame it, thanks to Splinter, but come on. How many times do we have to see him flip out over it? I want to see BA raph, not wimpy Raph. Also, when Baxter is defeated, he just straight up ditches the bugthugs. So much for loyalty, which was THE WHOLE REASON HE DID THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE. I know he was loyal to Shredder, but come on. You called them your brothers three minutes ago.

I give this episode a low 7, at least we finally got a glimpse at Super Shredder. And the Raph/Splinter moment was heartwarming.

THGhost
08-29-2016, 08:41 AM
Currently waiting for somewhere to watch this online in HD. Nick.com now requires you to log into your TV service provider... your USA TV service provider. :roll:

Vicky82
08-29-2016, 09:04 AM
My main issue with this episode was every scene with Casey in it (nah I'm kidding, but that was pretty hard to watch. At least he didn't say metal). The main issue was that it was a Raphcentric episode showing his worst quality, his fear. Sure, he overcame it, thanks to Splinter, but come on. How many times do we have to see him flip out over it? I want to see BA raph, not wimpy Raph. Also, when Baxter is defeated, he just straight up ditches the bugthugs. So much for loyalty, which was THE WHOLE REASON HE DID THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE. I know he was loyal to Shredder, but come on. You called them your brothers three minutes ago.

This was the first time that Raph asked for help over his fear because it was getting worse, all the other times he didn't get any help for it.

I'm pretty annoyed that you said Raph is being wimpy in this episode. So your saying that tough guys shouldn't be allowed to have fears and PTSD.

Look in the real world, Soldiers are supposed to be tough but they still have fears and end up having PTSD and a lot of them don't ask for help until it gets worse. Would you go up to soldier and say to them that your being wimp just because they have a fear and PTSD.

Can I just point out that Baxter wanted to make new insect mutants so he could control them, there would be no way he would able to control Cockraoch Terminator and Spider Bytez.

xenopokemon
08-29-2016, 09:41 AM
This was the first time that Raph asked for help over his fear because it was getting worse, all the other times he didn't get any help for it.

I'm pretty annoyed that you said Raph is being wimpy in this episode. So your saying that tough guys shouldn't be allowed to have fears and PTSD.

Look in the real world, Soldiers are supposed to be tough but they still have fears and end up having PTSD and a lot of them don't ask for help until it gets worse. Would you go up to soldier and say to them that your being wimp just because they have a fear and PTSD.

Can I just point out that Baxter wanted to make new insect mutants so he could control them, there would be no way he would able to control Cockraoch Terminator and Spider Bytez.

Didn't say that he's not allowed to have fears. I'm just saying they are beating a dead horse here with the "aah Raph's scared of bugs" thing.

And Baxter could so control CT. SB I'm not sure because he doesn't seem to have any loyalty (But we can't really say that, since we've only seen him a few times).

Vicky82
08-29-2016, 10:18 AM
Didn't say that he's not allowed to have fears. I'm just saying they are beating a dead horse here with the "aah Raph's scared of bugs" thing.

And Baxter could so control CT. SB I'm not sure because he doesn't seem to have any loyalty (But we can't really say that, since we've only seen him a few times).

Fears stay with people for a long time, unless they get help for it. This is what happened in this episode, Raph fear gotten a lot worse and he needed help for it. All the other times Raph fear came up, he didn't have help for it so his fear was obviously going to continue even if he didn't have help. But he did have help this time and hopefully (crossing fingers) he will have more control over his fear.

If his fear does continue into the rest of this season and season 5, then there's obviously a problem in the writing.

Unless Baxter had a device to control CT and Spider Bytez he wouldn't able to control them.

Cockroach Terminator obviously has a different mind and works alone.

Spider Bytez isn't evil, he was just angry and blamed the turtles for his mutataion. In Metalhead Rewired he asked the turtles for help because the Kraang were after him. Spider Bytez has only been in 2 episodes and hasn't done anything evil, he's not like Snake Weed who has done evil things. Spider Bytez prefers to be alone, he doesn't care about anyone else but himself.

xenopokemon
08-29-2016, 10:30 AM
Fears stay with people for a long time, unless they get help for it. This is what happened in this episode, Raph fear gotten a lot worse and he needed help for it. All the other times Raph fear came up, he didn't have help for it so his fear was obviously going to continue even if he didn't have help. But he did have help this time and hopefully (crossing fingers) he will have more control over his fear.

If his fear does continue into the rest of this season and season 5, then there's obviously a problem in the writing.

Unless Baxter had a device to control CT and Spider Bytez he wouldn't able to control them.

Cockroach Terminator obviously has a different mind and works alone.

Spider Bytez isn't evil, he was just angry and blamed the turtles for his mutataion. In Metalhead Rewired he asked the turtles for help because the Kraang were after him. Spider Bytez has only been in 2 episodes and hasn't done anything evil, he's not like Snake Weed who has done evil things. Spider Bytez prefers to be alone, he doesn't care about anyone else but himself.

Yes, hopefully we won't have to see this side of Raph EVER again. Baxter Stockman could probably manipulate SB somehow. With money, the promise of returning him to his former self, or threatening him with Shredder's mutant army (not saying it's at his disposal, but he is powerful by association). CT, on the other hand, doesn't have motive, as far as we know. All we know is Raph doesn't like him, and CT feels resentment towards him because of that. Just because he hasn't worked with anyone so far doesn't mean that he wouldn't. It's just lazy writing (I'm half joking/half being serious with that).

shredder orokusaki
08-29-2016, 10:37 AM
MUHAHHAHHA My mutation continues!! Iam becoming Super Shredder! AND WILL DESTROY THE TURTLES!!!

ssjup81
08-29-2016, 11:17 AM
I finally was able to see this episode. I really really liked it, just like the past two, but of course I do have a nitpick or two, but I'll get to that later.

Anyway, it seems that Shredder is kind of...out of it? He is acting uncharacteristically nice, but I blame that on what Baxter was saying earlier regarding the mutagen. That probably has a lot t o do with it. It was nice to see Baxter get some airtime, though. I know his voice actor is expensive to get, which is probably why we see him the least out of all of Shredder's henchmutants. I'm really really curious, though how Super Shredder is going to turn out...but please, no shipping docks to crush him, show. lol

Oh, surprisingly, I felt a little sorry for Baxter. The fact that he called the mutants he made "friends" is sad and speaking of those two....totally gross. lol I just really really hate bugs and I do have a bug phobia, especially with Antrax. Oh and I so so so so hate spiders. That's one of my biggest fears when it comes to creepy crawly things.

Now, one of the best parts of this episode, was Raph. I like how they don't have the characters miraculously "get over" things. Raph, to me, was definitely showing signs of PTSD. It's like Leo back in season 3 with his leg. He was showing signs of PTSD there. Just being on a planet full of bugs won't get you over your phobia. He was just forced into that situation. He didn't decide, "Hey, I'm sick of my bug phobia...I'm going to go to a planet and get over it." It was pretty realistic, especially if you already have a deep-seeded fear. At least they're consistent with this. I can't help but wonder if they're going to lessen his fear or slowly have him get over it, or if he's going to freak out some when coming across giant bugs, as I just don't fault him for that.

I also really liked how Raph and Splinter were bonding and had a moment to gether, especially after the fake mantra, "Kore wa nani mo imishinai". Pretty slick, Splinter. lol

Oh the slight banter with Leo and Karai, as always, was cute to me. lol Speaking of Karai, I'm glad Baxter did go after her and her reaction to Baxter. She should have a lot of hatred towards him for her mutation and the brain worm thing.

Oh that guy that was being mutated in the beginning, was reminding me slightly of Bronson Pinchot as the character he was playing in the Langoliers. I know, pretty random of me to think of that.

Hm, let's see...Baxter's new hideout...it made me think of the first level of Turtles in Time. Not sure if that was deliberate or not, though.

Now, my main dislike...unless they're being deliberate. Baxter, just like Steranko and Zeck, were forcibly mutated. They should have a lot of animosity towards Shredder. Whatever happened to Baxter trying to find a cure to make him human again? I know back when he was first mutated, I was wondering if he was only pretending to be loyal and then turn on Shredder and the others...unless he is becoming more fly-like, just like the OT Baxter. Nah, maybe he just has Stockholm Syndrome by this point. ><

So yeah, good episode, and this is what I like about these characters. They have fears and vulnerabilities. I'm glad we get to see that with the characters at times.

Sucks Shini wasn't in this episode, but...I guess she just wouldn't have fit in. I would like to see Casey meet Shini since it's a new ally for them.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-29-2016, 11:29 AM
Stockman Syndrome:

The inability to remain 100% human for the duration of an entire TMNT series.

ssjup81
08-29-2016, 11:33 AM
Currently waiting for somewhere to watch this online in HD. Nick.com now requires you to log into your TV service provider... your USA TV service provider. :roll:I was trying to send you a PM, but it seems you don't accept them.

Stockman Syndrome:

The inability to remain 100% human for the duration of an entire TMNT series.I'm slipping. I should've made that joke. lol

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-29-2016, 11:42 AM
I was trying to send you a PM, but it seems you don't accept them.

I'm slipping. I should've made that joke. lol

I make the jokes so nobody else has to. You're welcome. :tgrin:

Jephael
08-29-2016, 12:01 PM
Just watched the episode this morning on nick.com and thought it was great. Honestly though, Casey didn't seem to have much reason to be present in this one. They might as well have just stuck with Shinigami.

victory_angel
08-29-2016, 12:24 PM
In my opinion, there were enough insect mutants on the show to begin with. Spider Bytez, Cockroach Terminator (Or Spyroach), Parasitica Wasp (more feral but still counts)

Cockroach Terminator was destroyed in his debut episode. Yes, we have a moment at the end where we see that was possibly able to respawn itself. But that has never been utilized since.

Parasitica Wasp, again killed during its debut episode. Yes, a wasp appears in Metalhead Rewired, but then again they were showing a Kraang Prison for mutants. The studio was possibly recycling all the mutant models it had available in that one scene. Because 3D models are expensive to make and animate. And each 3D model used has to be factored into the episode budget. This is why we rarely see more than five random humans in the city at one time.

As for Spider Bites, the person who voices him is an A-List celebrity comedian. Nick Studios doesn't have the budget to bring in Luis Black on a regular basis. http://s1.ticketm.net/tm/en-us/dam/a/938/c6d310f9-7fd8-45c7-80a6-1c05233a2938_12501_CUSTOM.jpg

I agree with this. I actually suffer from anxiety disorder and know quite well how debilitating it can be to go through a panic attack. I have been able to gain control of my anxiousness rather than letting it control me. But I still have serious panic attacks every so often.

Raph believed he had gotten over his bug-phobia because of the events on Sectoid 1. And this episode clarified that he didn't get over his fear...but rather was able to surpass it.

Again I agree. Spider Bites may be on the villain's roster, but he isn't really on the side of the villains. He's just out for himself and really doesn't have any interest in either side of the conflicts between the Foot Clan, The Kraang, and the Turtles unless it directly applies to personal gain.

So much for loyalty, which was THE WHOLE REASON HE DID THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE. I know he was loyal to Shredder, but come on. You called them your brothers three minutes ago.

Stockman is a coward to be sure, but he isn't really evil. He's more or less equivalent of the scrawny kid who hangs out with the schoolyard bully purely so he wouldn't be picked on himself.

In this episode Shredder had told Stockman through what I call "Honeyed insults" (essentially insults phrased as compliments) that all his hench-mutants have become useless and the only one who has loyally served him is a simpering bug. Stockman who more or less has been the "Megward the Wizard" of the Foot Clan feels he finally has a chance to really prove his worth to the Shredder by gaining back all the Shredder has lost and even creating a fierce and loyal bug army.

But in the end Stockmen really only wanted friends, not followers. Such as when Scumbug pointed out that that they didn't need to follow someone else's ideals when they could create their own empire. Stockman replies that it's all about friends, loyalty. And at the end, Stockman did feel a sense of regret in abandoning his companions as he escapes.

As for Scumbug and Antrax, we are likely to see them again. The Turtles aren't the sort of people who kill needlessly or purely out of malice. It's more likely that the two bug-thugs have been locked up in Karai's dungeon as they are too dangerous to roam free unchecked. But they could be reformed as added muscle for Karai's cause. Since Scumbug is a normal human who had been abducted and mutated against his will, it is possible that he would be offered the chance to have his humanity restored to him.

drgon78
08-29-2016, 01:19 PM
Not as good as the last two but still fun, I did like the Raph and Splinter moments and that Baxter actually has talking scenes.

PApagreg
08-29-2016, 01:56 PM
Off topic but has their been a character episode where said character didn't learn a lesson and it was just a fun side adventure because I think this series needs that

CyberCubed
08-29-2016, 02:16 PM
Does anyone think the police in this episode were a parody of Trump supporters? Brandon Auman has posted anti-Trump stuff in his instragram before.

The police said, "They're hippies! Let's take them down for the good 'ol U.S. of A!"

Haha, the trigger happy bastard police. They were probably Trump supporters too and Brandon Auman put some of his political commentary into the show. Hahha.

Powder
08-29-2016, 02:32 PM
http://i.imgur.com/yQBtig2.png

TheJ-manTurtleMan
08-29-2016, 02:57 PM
Was that final battle a homage to Turtles in Time? Don't they battle Baxter on a skyscraper construction site?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-29-2016, 03:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/yQBtig2.png

I love that so much. :tlol:

snake
08-29-2016, 04:47 PM
Watched the episode. Loved Antrax and Scumbug, maybe even more than the original concepts!

The fight scenes were very fluid and fun to watch.

My only complaint is that Shinigami was nowhere to be found and that Karai looks dumb with just the helmet. She should have the full Lady Shredder armor

CyberCubed
08-29-2016, 05:01 PM
I'm still not fond how some mutants can talk and others are just silent. It really doesn't make much sense.

Powder
08-29-2016, 05:03 PM
It was the same way with mutants in the OT & 4kids series though. Mutation isn't something perfected, it's an unnatural alteration so there are bound to be inconsistencies. I think Nick's handled that better than anyone, considering how many freak shows have been the result of modern ooze. :trazz:

BubblyShell22
08-29-2016, 05:25 PM
Does anyone think the police in this episode were a parody of Trump supporters? Brandon Auman has posted anti-Trump stuff in his instragram before.

The police said, "They're hippies! Let's take them down for the good 'ol U.S. of A!"

Haha, the trigger happy bastard police. They were probably Trump supporters too and Brandon Auman put some of his political commentary into the show. Hahha.

No because the police have called mutants hippies once before in an episode. I think they did it in the Muckman episode and they may have done it in Mutagen Man's debut episode. I just think they're misinformed and think all mutants are hippies.

THGhost
08-29-2016, 05:56 PM
I was trying to send you a PM, but it seems you don't accept them.

I'm slipping. I should've made that joke. lol

Yeah, I've had bad experiences with PMs in the past. Post to my wall.

victory_angel
08-29-2016, 06:23 PM
No because the police have called mutants hippies once before in an episode. I think they did it in the Muckman episode and they may have done it in Mutagen Man's debut episode. I just think they're misinformed and think all mutants are hippies.

But weren't these two particular cops actually Kraang? After all, in the second invasion, they tried to arrest and when hit one with his hockey stick it revealed the disguises were holograms

Powder
08-29-2016, 06:31 PM
But weren't these two particular cops actually Kraang? After all, in the second invasion, they tried to arrest and when hit one with his hockey stick it revealed the disguises were holograms

Just a matter of resource recycling.

matteso586
08-29-2016, 07:35 PM
I just realized something. If the police report the "hippies", would that aggravate any anti-mutant groups?

Jephael
08-29-2016, 07:43 PM
Was that final battle a homage to Turtles in Time? Don't they battle Baxter on a skyscraper construction site?

No, I think it was the Brooklyn Bridge.

CyberCubed
08-29-2016, 08:17 PM
Heh rewatching this ep Baxter yells, "Homies" while flying around the construction site. I can't recall but did he ever say that before? Usually its only Bebop who says stuff like homie, dawg, son, and oh snap. Heh they can only have Baxter and Bebop say that stuff while Rocksteady is a stereotypical Russian.

Meliwen
08-29-2016, 09:59 PM
I was always under the assumption that the turtles knew Japanese, but Raph didn't know what 'this means nothing' meant, and if Splinter wants to use the same trick on the others, then they don't know either. I guess they just know some basic words Splinter uses during training.

IndigoErth
08-29-2016, 10:54 PM
:tlol: Poor Raph. Good to see one focused on him working on overcoming one of his weaknesses. Likewise the one-on-one with Splinter, doesn't happen enough.

Funny when he freaked and ran off, leaving Casey with the bugs. Although I can't say I blame him though, those self-cloning ants are enough to scar anyone for life.

And I guess Leo is still mad at Karai... lol

victory_angel
08-29-2016, 11:48 PM
I was always under the assumption that the turtles knew Japanese, but Raph didn't know what 'this means nothing' meant, and if Splinter wants to use the same trick on the others, then they don't know either. I guess they just know some basic words Splinter uses during training.

Either that or some paid attention more to their Japanese Lessions then others. I can certainly see Raph being more interested in Japanese swear words then really learning a language of a country he doesn't think he would ever visit.

Vicky82
08-30-2016, 02:33 AM
The uncut french kiss :lol:

https://66.media.tumblr.com/4ba7e7ff013cd89640e5c3e4aeda02f4/tumblr_ocp0qb3x2P1qg7ujzo1_540.gif

http://jjconway.tumblr.com/

ssjup81
08-30-2016, 02:42 AM

https://66.media.tumblr.com/4ba7e7ff013cd89640e5c3e4aeda02f4/tumblr_ocp0qb3x2P1qg7ujzo1_540.gif

http://jjconway.tumblr.com/That's disturbing. ><

Powder
08-30-2016, 02:43 AM

I dunno if it was an homage, but yes. Big Apple, 3AM. An under construction skyscraper.

Casey
08-30-2016, 11:46 AM

That's what she said.

shredder orokusaki
08-30-2016, 01:33 PM
See my awesome mutation here http://oi66.tinypic.com/255tjkg.jpg

ABrown
08-30-2016, 01:33 PM

I've had many issues with this series not correctly recording on my DVR, despite the description showing the episode as "new". It's as though the DVR thinks it's a totally different TMNT cartoon. I've had to set two separate series recordings for the show.

ToTheNines
08-30-2016, 01:43 PM
See my awesome mutation here http://oi66.tinypic.com/255tjkg.jpg

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13988079_1074549789307096_5902872416304509400_o.jp g

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-30-2016, 01:59 PM
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13988079_1074549789307096_5902872416304509400_o.jp g

:tlol:

THAT was clever. I applaud ye.

ToTheNines
08-30-2016, 04:10 PM
I aim to please.

nimajneb
08-31-2016, 11:31 AM

In one of the eps it comes out Mikey is the only one that can speak Japanese - but i can't remember why -

Great Ep - Turflytle makes for a great ep!

THGhost
08-31-2016, 05:03 PM
Fun little filter episode. The animation has really bumped up again, especially during Raph's bug hallucinations.

The store named "Cowabunga" was a nice touch.

Scumbug and Antrax? Nick is really digging deep for the obscure villains this time.

Definitely some more Attack on Titan imagery going on in this one. Guess the writers are fans.

Shredder is back. At long last!

http://jjconway.tumblr.com/

For real? :lol:

Great Ep - Turflytle makes for a great ep!

Turflytle. Always a joy whenever he's on screen.

ssjup81
08-31-2016, 05:13 PM
Fun little filter episode. The animation has really bumped up again, especially during Raph's bug hallucinations.

Scumbug and Antrax? Nick is really digging deep for the obscure villains this time.

Definitely some more Attack on Titan imagery going on in this one. Guess the writers are fans.

For real? :lol:

Turflytle. Always a joy whenever he's on screen.How is this filler?

Vicky82
08-31-2016, 05:27 PM

It's not a filler, the last 3 episodes are connected to the main story arc.

Everyone looking for Shredder.

Shredder's recovery and mutation.

Baxter stealing money to replace the money that was destroyed in the last episode.

CyberCubed
08-31-2016, 06:31 PM
Nowadays people consider any episode filler.

JTH
08-31-2016, 06:32 PM
It's not a filler, the last 3 episodes are connected to the main story arc.

Everyone looking for Shredder.

Shredder's recovery and mutation.

Baxter stealing money to replace the money that was destroyed in the last episode.
It is filler, nothing in this episode would need to be seen to the overall story.

You don't need to see Shredder mutating, you could do the first clip at the end of City at War, after that you don't need to see him again until he returns. It adds nothing to a story, especially this story. Heck, Shinagami isn't in the episode, so it's not that connected to what has happened if she just suddenly disappears for no reason.

Nothing in this episode is a mandatory, omg this must be seen, it carries the plot to the finale. That makes it filler.

Aaronardo
08-31-2016, 06:37 PM
While, yes, it doesn't fit under the true definition of "filler," by Western animation standards, it's filler. Zuko Alone of Avatar: The Last Airbender is one of my personal favorite episodes of the series, but doesn't do much to the main story. It simply adds on to already-existing character development. Therefore, it falls under the Western animation definition of "filler," and this episode is similar. One of my favorites of the season so far, but still filler.

BubblyShell22
08-31-2016, 06:46 PM
That uncut kissing scene is disturbing yet funny at the same time.

CyberCubed
08-31-2016, 07:31 PM
While, yes, it doesn't fit under the true definition of "filler," by Western animation standards, it's filler. Zuko Alone of Avatar: The Last Airbender is one of my personal favorite episodes of the series, but doesn't do much to the main story. It simply adds on to already-existing character development. Therefore, it falls under the Western animation definition of "filler," and this episode is similar. One of my favorites of the season so far, but still filler.

Literally every TMNT cartoon has the Turtles go on random adventures. Aside from Shredder being the main villain, the franchise is all about the Turtles facing anyone and everyone.

Powder
08-31-2016, 07:46 PM
Yeah. If anything, given the property has historically less "story" than standalone features, it's the ongoing stuff that could be considered filler in any given universe. :tlol:

tinlunlau
08-31-2016, 08:03 PM
That mantra for Raph...
Is it just me or is it just Japanese for "there is nothing in this world I am afraid of"?

Powder
08-31-2016, 08:26 PM
Did you not watch the whole episode? Splinter does tell Raph it amounts to jack.

I found that a funny gag, but I was actually in on the joke as I understand some Japanese. :tlol:

THGhost
08-31-2016, 08:53 PM
JTH is right. This episode was definitely filler. Entertaining filler though. :P

I'm very curious to see what Mutated Shredder looks like.

Vicky82
09-01-2016, 04:10 AM
It is filler, nothing in this episode would need to be seen to the overall story.

You don't need to see Shredder mutating, you could do the first clip at the end of City at War, after that you don't need to see him again until he returns. It adds nothing to a story, especially this story. Heck, Shinagami isn't in the episode, so it's not that connected to what has happened if she just suddenly disappears for no reason.

Nothing in this episode is a mandatory, omg this must be seen, it carries the plot to the finale. That makes it filler.

The City at War (Baxter nicking money), Shredder's recovery/mutation and everyone looking for Shredder are the main story for this arc right and we saw all those things in this episode.

Just because Shinigami wasn't in the episode doesn't make it a filler. Shinigami was in the Broken Foot and some people think that episode was a filler but it wasn't because of Baxter stealing money to replace the money that was destroyed and Karai continuing to take back the city from Shredder and now is going after him.

It maybe a filler to you but to me it isn't and I bet that some of the things from this episode will be in other episodes soon and we probably see Scumbug and Antrax again.

The only episode that is a filler this season is The Weird World of Wyrm.

neatoman
09-01-2016, 07:11 AM
Yay Casey is Back but boo no Shinigami.

I guess she filled up her Playmates Toys required screen time, time for more wacky characters.

Penst0ck
09-01-2016, 09:09 AM
(Ignore me if this has already been said or theorized on here.)

Shinigami might probably have been out looking for Shredder's new hide out like the other new Foot ninja's. Who knows, she maybe the one who finds it and gets the ball rolling on Karai's second attempt to end the Shredder (yeah good luck with that tho)

THGhost
09-01-2016, 10:01 AM
The City at War (Baxter nicking money), Shredder's recovery/mutation and everyone looking for Shredder are the main story for this arc right and we saw all those things in this episode.

Just because Shinigami wasn't in the episode doesn't make it a filler. Shinigami was in the Broken Foot and some people think that episode was a filler but it wasn't because of Baxter stealing money to replace the money that was destroyed and Karai continuing to take back the city from Shredder and now is going after him.

It maybe a filler to you but to me it isn't and I bet that some of the things from this episode will be in other episodes soon and we probably see Scumbug and Antrax again.

The only episode that is a filler this season is The Weird World of Wyrm.

I know filler when I see it, and the vast majority of this episode was. And there's been more filler episodes than that. :P Call it a side-story, if you will.

Twas good though. It was fun to see Baxter try to take down the Turtles, and I like Scumbag and Antrax's character designs.

Oh, and I didn't say it was filler because Shinigami wasn't in it. That's besides the point.

Shinigami might probably have been out looking for Shredder's new hide out like the other new Foot ninja's. Who knows, she maybe the one who finds it and gets the ball rolling on Karai's second attempt to end the Shredder (yeah good luck with that tho)

Maybe we'll get an episode where we get to see that? :tcool:

Vicky82
09-01-2016, 11:00 AM
Well I don't understand why some people think this is a filler even though it is connected to the last 2 episodes.

I always thought filler episodes have a different story and are not part of the main arc, like Mazes and Mutants and The Weird World of Wyrm.

I know some people consider Journey to the Center of Mikey's Mind a filler but it isn't because they were getting the Triceraton ship plans. If it didn't have that in the episode then it would have been a filler.

THGhost
09-01-2016, 11:18 AM
It is connected, but not for the whole thing. The vast majority of it is unconnected. At least that how I feel about it.

People's definition of filler differs I guess, and that's fine. I actually enjoy filler; I'm a DBZ fan for goodness sake. :P As long as it isn't several filler episodes in a row, that can get pretty boring.

Hopefully I won't have to wait so long to watch the next episode. Watching this show in the UK sucks.

victory_angel
09-01-2016, 12:25 PM

Or what if she is secretly working for the Shredder. She does walk the line between good and evil...it would make sense for her to play both sides of the war. And she does strike me as one of those catty girl tropes...the one that is only friends with you for their own personal gain and interests and when you are no longer needed they stab you in the back or kick you out of your circle of friends.

Well I don't understand why some people think this is a filler even though it is connected to the last 2 episodes.

I always thought filler episodes have a different story and are not part of the main arc, like Mazes and Mutants and The Weird World of Wyrm.

I know some people consider Journey to the Center of Mikey's Mind a filler but it isn't because they were getting the Triceraton ship plans. If it didn't have that in the episode then it would have been a filler.

It is connected, but not for the whole thing. The vast majority of it is unconnected. At least that how I feel about it.

People's definition of filler differs I guess, and that's fine. I actually enjoy filler; I'm a DBZ fan for goodness sake. :P As long as it isn't several filler episodes in a row, that can get pretty boring.

Hopefully I won't have to wait so long to watch the next episode. Watching this show in the UK sucks.

Filler is one of the go-to terms that is used to mean "I don't like this episode or how it was presented, but I don't really have a way of articulating why I don't like it."

With Anime, Filler is used when the Anime catches up to the manga and they are using it to fill time until there is enough source material to get back to the plot or act as a buffer to reset the story in another direction. Which ultimately can be skipped over and you won't miss anything.

Western Cartoons don't really have filler episodes in that sense very often. The only filler episode in this season was the Wyrm episode because they retcon it at the end and say it never happened. In other words, you can skip it and you would have missed nothing of importance.

Journey is a buffer episode because they reference getting the schematics for the Triceraton Mothership from Bellybomb in the previous episode and Dregg is shown as being interested in the blackhole generator.

This episode isn't a filler episode as it does connect to events in the previous episodes. But it is a buffer episode as it pads out and sets things up for the crap that is going to go down in the next episodes.

JTH
09-01-2016, 01:12 PM

An episode can be entwined to a story arc and still be filler. That's like saying no episode in Pokemon is because they're always progressing to the next place, when in truth more than half of Pokemon episodes are filler.

In this episode, Baxter has a plan and it all fails, and at the end it's all back where it started as if nothing ever happened.

Nothing was gained, nothing was lost, nothing was progressed, none of the characters had anything more or less than what they had before the episode. Nothing was reffered to from the previous episode, Donnie's not the slightest bit hurt, there's no animosity with April at Karai, they fight together like nothing ever happened, which clearly means there's no progression that's needs seen in this episode.

When you rewatch Season 4, you can go from Broken Foot to this Sunday's episode and it will not feel like there's an episode missing.

THGhost
09-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Filler is one of the go-to terms that is used to mean "I don't like this episode or how it was presented, but I don't really have a way of articulating why I don't like it."

Erm, okay. :lol: That's not true at all because I said I liked the episode. It's still mostly filler though, which is fine.

Maybe there are some people out there who call something filler simply because they don't like it, but that isn't true in this particular case.

An episode can be entwined to a story arc and still be filler. That's like saying no episode in Pokemon is because they're always progressing to the next place, when in truth more than half of Pokemon episodes are filler.

In this episode, Baxter has a plan and it all fails, and at the end it's all back where it started as if nothing ever happened.

Nothing was gained, nothing was lost, nothing was progressed, none of the characters had anything more or less than what they had before the episode. Nothing was reffered to from the previous episode, Donnie's not the slightest bit hurt, there's no animosity with April at Karai, they fight together like nothing ever happened, which clearly means there's no progression that's needs seen in this episode.

When you rewatch Season 4, you can go from Broken Foot to this Sunday's episode and it will not feel like there's an episode missing.

This in a nutshell.

ssjup81
09-01-2016, 01:25 PM

Hopefully I won't have to wait so long to watch the next episode. Watching this show in the UK sucks.To me, filler episodes are episodes that if you cut them out, you won't get confused later. If you miss an ep and you do end up confused later if referenced again and affects the main plot in some way or some other arc in the story, I don't consider it filler and I guess I blame anime for having that outlook.

This episode, we were introduced to Antrax and Scumbag. The Turtles doubtfully killed them. It's not in their nature. They'll more than likely show up again later since we're supposed to get a Mutants vs Human arc apparently. If (when) these two show up again, and I hadn't seen this ep, I would be wondering where they came from or why they were randomly just showing up, like Tokka and Rahzaa in the OT. No backstory or anything other than its being a nod to movie 2 and Turtles in Time.

To me, the only real filler this season is the Wyrm episode because of how the characters themselves have no memory of it or Wyrm and with the way the episode was set up, it's probably going to remain that way.

This is why I don't write episodes off as filler for this series so quickly...especially if it introduces a new character who may play a role later on in the main plot in another arc or whatever.

THGhost
09-01-2016, 01:31 PM
I'm just happy people actually still read my posts and that I've sparked a conversation. :lol: I don't post here as often as I used to, but I do try to not abandon this place.

Or it might just be because my initial post was apparently so controversial. :P

Vicky82
09-01-2016, 01:33 PM
Antrax and Scumbug weren't killed off, you saw them alive under rubble. Antrax drones were killed off though.

I don't think the mutants vs humans story is an arc. Mutant Gangland episode is probably the humans vs mutants story.

THGhost
09-01-2016, 01:34 PM
I do hope they come back and aren't abandoned like some of the other villains. It'd be waste of some pretty cool character designs.

ssjup81
09-01-2016, 01:36 PM
Antrax and Scumbug weren't killed off, you saw them alive under rubble. Antrax drones were killed off though.

I don't think the mutants vs humans story is an arc. Mutant Gangland episode is probably the humans vs mutants story.Ok, maybe not arc, but maybe some storyline about it.

victory_angel
09-01-2016, 02:55 PM

I don't think the mutants vs humans story is an arc. Mutant Gangland episode is probably the humans vs mutants story.

I agree, the Turtles have killed characters. But they don't willfully go out of their way to do so. It's more likely that Scumbug and Antrax have been apprehended and are being reformed or at least put somewhere they be held until they can be retromutated.

As for the Human's vs. Mutants arc If you think about it the human's vs. Mutants arc has been happening in small bursts throughout the series. The Turtles have been called freaks more than once by human characters. Bradford and Xever's and even Stockman's efforts to destroy the turtles before their inevitable mutations.

And there have been humans who have seen the Turtles out in public, such as the "Guy with Cat" and that one blond woman. And of course the invasions and other events where the Turtles couldn't exactly avoid being seen.

The upcoming event is just another small part of the entire arc. This time, it's the mob going after mutants. With a human's vs mutants arc, however, you think a situation where the Turtles existence is exposed to the entire city because events can no longer escape human notice.

Take Gargoyles, for example, the last arc of the series made it known the humans of the city had become aware of the Gargoyles existence in Manhatten. And then when the police station was blown up, the Gargoyles were incriminated for it because they were caught leaving the scene of the event.

And then after that in the Goliath Chronicles, there is one group that lashes out in anger and fear. because there is one man playing on such emotions by telling them these creatures will come for their children in the night. And as they say, Humans fear what they don't understand.

But on the flip side, there are also groups who are saying "We don't know if these Gargoyles are really a threat."

This same rhetoric has also been done with shows like Justice League and X-men where they have people who are heroes. But there are groups who are out to say these people are monsters simply because they are different or have abilities that set them apart from everyone else.

Such as one moment in X-men evolution I believe, where the X-Men have been exposed to the General Public. Robert Kelly and Xavior are talking to a group of parents or reps of the general public about how much a threat the X-men are. In the climax of the episode, there is a huge fight between the X-men and brotherhood of mutants. Robert Kelly sees it and says "See, this is what I mean about these people being something that could be harmful to this city." And Xavior just tells Kelly to take another look because he would find that the X-men are actually using quite a bit of restraint in their powers. And that helps change the general view.

So with the Turtles it would only need a moment for Joan Grody or somebody to get footage of the Turtles in battle or fleeing the scene of battle. Thus having them being incriminated by the general public.

Penst0ck
09-01-2016, 11:08 PM
Or what if she is secretly working for the Shredder. She does walk the line between good and evil...it would make sense for her to play both sides of the war. And she does strike me as one of those catty girl tropes...the one that is only friends with you for their own personal gain and interests and when you are no longer needed they stab you in the back or kick you out of your circle of friends.

Hmm. If ends up so then she would be a REALLY good actress. Even though she comes off as dark and wicked /pun kinda intended/ to others, she is nothing but respectful towards Karai. Only her interest in spending Shredder's money gave me a slight suspicion that she doesn't have the noblest disposition. But even then she showed no qualms with burning it under her sempai's command.

magicallypuzzled
09-02-2016, 12:50 AM
if that did happen i would absolutely hate it. not only is it the most obvious portrayal of walking the line between good and bad with no subtlety. but most of the appeal to the character, atleast in my opinion, is being loyal to karai. karai doesn't currently have an other loyal named characters in her faction

THGhost
09-02-2016, 09:22 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't like it if that happened.

Oh God, it's gonna happen isn't it?

Mini-Turtle
09-03-2016, 09:41 PM
Definitely a good episode. Great to see Casey back in action. Also, great to see the return of Baxter Stockfly, as well as his new mutants. Can't say no to Turflytle, either. Of course, the BIG thing was the first true look at SUPER SHREDDER.

WebLurker
09-04-2016, 01:32 AM
I liked the show overall (the return to the season 1-style night mission is fun).

Kind of wish Karai's friend was in it (but there were enough characters as it was). (I sort-of doubt she's going to be revealed as a traitor, but you never know.)

I wonder of Super Shredder is going to be that much different from his original configuration: He's looking like his normal self in the title sequence and still using his gauntlets instead of his new mutant Wolverine claws. So, maybe he's just going to be a tougher version of himself who doesn't use his mutant weapons very much?

Splinter the boss
09-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Just watched it. This episode was simply gross. Raph was stupid with his fear of bugs, He should have manned up from the beginning, the entire thing is in his mind.
Since when did Stockman start being so loyal to Shredder?, I guess they're using him as a means to develop Super Shredder, but still... he was just out of character to me. I find it funny that even his subordinates don't know his name well.
Is it me or did Stockman get uglier? Mikey was funny in this episode, the way he mocked Stockman was just golden.

Sorry if this post seems robotic, I literally had to take notes on what I was gonna mention, plus I'm in a hurry.

JH24
09-11-2016, 12:04 PM
I skipped this episode because I thought it would just be a rehash of Raph's fear for bugs. But in the end, I have to say I enjoyed it. It was a fun, well-written episode with only the final fight feeling disappointing/forced.

I really liked having Casey back, especially seeing him hanging out with Donatello and the others at the start. I love those little moments. Karai and April teaming up was a nice touch as well. Animation and art seemed very alive/expressive in this episode.

Garfield
10-03-2016, 01:53 PM
I enjoyd it okay. Raph is my fav in this series so it was cool to get an episode surrounding him and also Baxter getting more focus. "Scumbug" looked nasty as hell...didn't need to see that.

Splinter the boss
10-04-2016, 02:18 PM
It is nice to have episodes about your favourite turtle, I like Mikey episodes, however when the episodes about the character are the same, it's simply redundant.