PDA

View Full Version : Should IDW release a "TMNT: The Mirage Collection"?

Mewzard
08-31-2016, 04:34 PM
Recently, my volume 3 of TMNT: The IDW Collection came, and it got me to thinking. I've really enjoyed this release format for IDW, collecting all of the issues in order. But it made me wonder if we should get something similar from the Mirage issues.

The Ultimate Collection, while good, does only focus on the Eastman/Laird issues. How would you guys feel if IDW did a Mirage Collection that went through all the issues of the main book, Tales of the TMNT, One-shots, and side stories in order, from the beginning of volume one on as long as they sold well?

Following the same format as the IDW release, being hardcover, around 400 pages a pop (give or take), maybe even being in their original color (or lack there of) release.

DrSpengler
08-31-2016, 04:39 PM
There's a lot of "fat" so to speak, that often distracts from the primary story arcs if read in order (in that regard, the Ultimate Collections do a good job of focusing on the main Foot centric storyline).

Personally, I think it'd be cool, though it'd probably do best to inject stories that take place in the past/future where they work thematically with the main stories as opposed to trying to publish them chronologically (you want to start with TMNT Volume 1 #1, not some toddler Turtle back-up story).

There's also the matter of being forced to omit the Rick Veitch stories and anything else that has rights issues tangled up, but there's nothing to be done about that.

Then there's the matter of storylines that were never concluded, particularly during the Tales Volume 2 and TMNT Volume 4 era. So you'll eventually just start hitting a bunch of loose ends and the reading experience will crumble.

CyberCubed
08-31-2016, 04:39 PM
Might be more trouble than its worth, since a lot of Volume 1 issues aren't canon and Tales V. 2 has over 70 issues that take place all over the timeline.

Mirage is a mess of issues.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-31-2016, 04:45 PM
Yeah, not interested.

The Ultimate Collections cover 90% of the Mirage (Volume 1) issues I care about. Beyond weaving in the seven "Tales of the TMNT", "The River Trilogy", and "Sons of the Silent Age", along with "Masks" and "Leatherhead, Too", that's all I care about.

The rest of Mirage is unappealing to me. And it's a very scattered disjoined hodgepodge. The type of series you're proposing wouldn't really suit it very well.

CyberCubed
08-31-2016, 04:46 PM
The rest of Mirage is unappealing to me. And it's a very scattered disjoined hodgepodge. The type of series you're proposing wouldn't really suit it very well.

What about Tales V.2? Out of the 70 issues, I'd say roughly half of them are pretty good, the other half just average or forgettable.

Andrew NDB
08-31-2016, 04:46 PM
There's also the matter of being forced to omit the Rick Veitch stories and anything else that has rights issues tangled up, but there's nothing to be done about that.

Well... technically, yes, there are things that can be done about that.

DrSpengler
08-31-2016, 04:49 PM
Well... technically, yes, there are things that can be done about that.

Well, yeah. Royalties, respect, etc. But if Eastman and Laird weren't gonna do it, I don't expect Viacom to be any better.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-31-2016, 04:52 PM
What about Tales V.2? Out of the 70 issues, I'd say roughly half of them are pretty good, the other half just average or forgettable.

Doing a chronological run to encompass ALL the "Challenges", "Turtle Soup", "Plastron Cafe", backup shorts, random shorts, and Tales Volume 2?

NEVER happen. Far too daunting of a task. FAR too daunting. Any publisher told to do that would go jump off a roof. :tlol:

myconius
08-31-2016, 08:57 PM
i think IDW pretty much did the best they could with putting out the Ultimate collections.

sure there's a few (non-Eastman/Laird) stories here and there that would have been nice to be included into them as well.
but for the most part the most critical issues are all included.

it was also pretty excellent that many of the various Short stories made it into Ultimate Vol.6.

Chris
09-01-2016, 05:46 PM
Definitely an interesting idea but like others have said, very daunting to pull off and a lot of "fat" that might make it inaccessible to new readers. I think IDW have done a good job of collecting the classic stuff so far and I'd rather they focussed on what they've not collected yet (rest of Tales Vol. 2, Image Vol. 3, Mirage Vol. 4 and more short stories) than recollecting everything again under a new label.

RaphaelsIsolation
10-11-2016, 07:13 AM
Just reading through this, I agree. I've yet to read vol 4 and 5 and the ultimate collections, but 1-3 are killer awesome and collect all the essential stuff, and from what I've researched and know, the ULT collections are the "greatest hits" or "essentials" stuff anyways.

Doing it again would be dumb.

Between the Ultimate Collections, and the Classics trades, we're all good on those.

They need to simply focus on Vol. 3 and Vol. 4

myconius
10-11-2016, 07:43 AM
if anything would be in order, a TPB release of the Ultimate Editions might be nice?
but i much prefer the hardcovers myself

DK2
10-16-2016, 11:07 PM
I woudn't mind this as trades but it'd be pretty much again must only be whats within the Ultimate Collection books. Maybe also the shorts or future stories that Eastman and Laird did, Mirage staffers, may have done. I mean the future short of Donatello from Plastron Cafe. Anything else that referred to the future turtles. Even the new solo pages done for the 2nd edition Mirage Tales of TMNT Vol. 1 trade. Stuff like that. Thats my opinion.