PDA

View Full Version : Odd or Quirky habits?

Krutch
09-05-2016, 05:57 AM
Just curious if anyone has a thing they do thats a little out of the ordinary.

For example, when I go to Starbucks or make dining reservations I always go under a fake name like Wedge Antilles or something just to amuse myself.

Anyone else do random nonsense like this?

ToTheNines
09-05-2016, 07:21 AM
I definitely have an oral stage fixation. I'll chew anything I can. Pens, straws, hoodie drawstrings, whatever.

I also find puns anywhere possible, especially humorous mashups of English and Spanish.

TheSkeletonMan939
09-05-2016, 07:26 AM
If there's a shirt or something on the floor, instead of bending down to pick it up, I'll grab it with my toes and "toss" it up and grab it mid-air. Depending on your point of view, the very cool or very sad thing about it is that I've gotten really good at it. Am I a weirdo?

Prowler
09-05-2016, 07:32 AM
Oh this isn't a CyberCubed thread?

Moving on...

It's odd how I can't really think of anything since I'm pretty sure I do stuff that many people would consider "odd". I guess never having dessert? I just eat my main plate and call it a meal.

MikeandRaph87
09-05-2016, 08:07 AM
I also find puns anywhere possible.

^This. Pop culture references, song titles random personal incidents all pop into my head at opportune times and inappropriate times. Sometimes I keep them to myself other times I let it out when I can.

Also, getting on Technodrome Forums during my lunch hour on my phone.

snake
09-05-2016, 09:22 AM
I make references so subtle that no one else could possibly know what I'm talking about

IndigoErth
09-05-2016, 10:26 AM
If there's a shirt or something on the floor, instead of bending down to pick it up, I'll grab it with my toes and "toss" it up and grab it mid-air. Depending on your point of view, the very cool or very sad thing about it is that I've gotten really good at it. Am I a weirdo?
I'll get stuff with the toes sometimes as well.

Part of the time though it's a paper towel or whatnot that missed the trashcan and I just don't want any part of the floor germs it has now come into contact with. :lol: Ancient primate ancestry has to be good for something, so why not. Would be handy at work were I able to work with no shoes, for all the clothing I have to pick up that fell on the floor or was purposely dropped there.

Tad bit of a germophobe, but not terribly. So I guess that's where you could place anything 'quirky' about me. Mostly it's just the bathroom fixtures and doorknobs, since I don't trust people to wash up, as well as other door knobs and kitchen faucet I know get handled after someone has been cleaning the cat boxes. I will slather the kitchen faucet with hand sanitizer (since a bottle of it sits right there). The rest don't get touched directly by hand unless I intend on washing my hands anyhow (or the sanitizer).

CyberCubed
09-05-2016, 11:20 AM
I don't do anything weird or out of the ordinary, at least as far as I know. I do everyone by the books and on the level.

Well I did think of something. Whenever something special or great gets announced about a series like a TV show, cartoon, comic that I'm currently following and its what fans have been speculating for years, I jump up out of my seat and start cheering. Like its a football game or something.

But I think that's pretty normal. A lot of people get overly excited about their favorite franchises, especially if something "big" happens that fans wanted to see for years. Look at female shippers when their favorite pairing finally gets together.

IndigoErth
09-05-2016, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I think that level of exuberance over something non-sports game related probably counts. :P

Humans are weird anyhow, I doubt anyone gets away from quirkiness. Many probably do things, even if it's just something small, that are so common to them that they don't even notice.

I do everyone by the books and on the level.
Oh, do you now. :tlol: And what books are those.. the Kama Sutra?

Donatello19
09-05-2016, 02:31 PM
Does posting on here count? :lol:

With a lot of songs that I listen to, usually like, If I'm listening to music on a long train or plane ride or something, I like to close my eyes and imagine that I'm the person singing it and make up a little story revolving around the lyrics, why I'm singing it, where and when I'm singing it, stuff like that. I don't really know why I always do this, but I do. And it's obviously not with every song, just some. I guess ones with lyrics/themes that are relevant to my life at the time.

I'm also a huge germaphobe, and very picky with the foods I eat. If someone that I deem to be "not clean" is the one who handled it or made it or whatever, I'm gonna think twice about eating it.

AT-Man
09-05-2016, 04:25 PM

I also do this. Anytime it's possible, I rather kick a door open or closed than use my hands.

CyberCubed
09-05-2016, 04:47 PM
Another thing when it comes to shows/comics/tv, etc...is I imagine in my mind how future storylines will go or what will happen with characters, essentially making fanfiction in my mind. But I guess that's also pretty normal, only I think of it when I'm not at the computer.

BubblyShell22
09-05-2016, 04:54 PM
I tend to twirl my hair with my finger a lot when I'm lost in thought and it's usually the left side though I sometimes twirl the right side, too. I've been doing this for as long as I can remember.

IndigoErth
09-05-2016, 05:10 PM
OH. When at the computer, if I'm resting my face in my hand, I typically have a handful of my hair in my hand, so my face is partly buried in my hair, in my hand.

I know I started doing that at least few years ago during the winter when it was cold in the room (and sometimes if the air was pretty dry) and it kind of stuck as a habit.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-05-2016, 06:04 PM
When I'm sitting down, I never sit "normally". I either sit with one foot tucked under me, or I have my knees up and my feet in the seat. Or over the side of the chair if it has arms. Don't know why I do this but it's just comfortable for me. At restaurants I just have the foot under me but at home or in casual settings I will do any of the above.

TurtleWA
09-05-2016, 06:05 PM
I like to have as many numbers as possible match when setting my alarm to wake up. So 6:00 in the morning I will set it for 5:55. If 7:30 is the wake up time I would choose 7:27 or 7:17.

ToTheNines
09-05-2016, 06:07 PM
I tend to twirl my hair with my finger a lot when I'm lost in thought and it's usually the left side though I sometimes twirl the right side, too. I've been doing this for as long as I can remember.

Ah this is my other one. Being a male, this one gets me made fun of a lot lol. I also eff with the hair in my yarmulke area, if you will. Constantly.

Surely I'm gonna go bald early.

IndigoErth
09-05-2016, 06:30 PM
When I'm sitting down, I never sit "normally". I either sit with one foot tucked under me, or I have my knees up and my feet in the seat. Or over the side of the chair if it has arms. Don't know why I do this but it's just comfortable for me. At restaurants I just have the foot under me but at home or in casual settings I will do any of the above.
Same. I'm often changing positions, don't even find it comfortable to sit in a normal position for too long, makes the lower legs feel uncomfortable.

Currently sitting in the second way you described, having just changed potions; previously had both legs tucked under, basically sitting on my knees.

Only down side at this age is some of these potions make the knees a bit stiff when I try to get up. :tlol:

Related... As much as I might not mind a nice, relaxed desk job, this kind of stops me as I would not be able to sit "normally" all day and I doubt how I want to sit would look too professional. Yet it's healthier to.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-05-2016, 06:43 PM
LOL! So am I. Just had my feet hanging over the side when typing that last post. And I agree- I don't think I'd ever want a desk job for that very reason. And yeah, it has gotten a bit harder to sit on the feet these last few years. The knees DO get a bit stiff afterca while. But I'm far too "fidgetty" to stay in a normal position for long.

Utrommaniac
09-05-2016, 06:53 PM
For some reason, I never write characters bottle feeding their children, save for a few very, very rare exceptions. It just doesn't come naturally to me, for numerous reasons.

Cure
09-05-2016, 07:15 PM
For some reason, I never write characters bottle feeding their children, save for a few very, very rare exceptions. It just doesn't come naturally to me, for numerous reasons.

That's not odd or quirky just, very specific.

CyberCubed
09-05-2016, 10:41 PM
Krutch was this thread inspired by this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1274037

Literally both posted the same day. Seems like an odd coincidence.

Prowler
09-06-2016, 06:26 AM
Krutch was this thread inspired by this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1274037

Literally both posted the same day. Seems like an odd coincidence.
Do you lurk/post on EVERY single forum on the web? :lol:

Krutch
09-06-2016, 06:30 AM
This is the one and only forum I visit, so... nope. Just coincidence.

CyberCubed
09-06-2016, 11:46 AM
Do you lurk/post on EVERY single forum on the web? :lol:

neogaf is a lot more active now than IGN is, so I visit there a lot more often. For some reason IGN boards have been close to dead in the last 5 years. I don't know what happened.

BubblyShell22
09-06-2016, 04:42 PM
Duckie and Indigo, I hear you on the leg thing. I tend to sit with my left leg crossed over my right while sitting at the computer or on the couch in the living room. I also tend to swing my feet a lot and my mom does it too.

Icebot
09-06-2016, 06:27 PM
Don't know if anyone would consider this odd but when I see people on YouTube playing video games (they play the same game on different playthroughs and they race each other to see who can complete it the fastest, like a versus), I join the race privately (I play the game myself while I watch the people play it on YouTube)! I found it to be fun.

precision
09-08-2016, 08:14 PM
I have a tendency to favor prime numbers over composite numbers. Usually 7, 11, or 17. Also usually purchase items by 3's or 5's.

Prowler
09-08-2016, 09:14 PM
neogaf is a lot more active now than IGN is, so I visit there a lot more often. For some reason IGN boards have been close to dead in the last 5 years. I don't know what happened.
IGN lost a lot of activity when the boards changed in 2009 or so. They asked people to log in with their e-mails instead of their usernames, and thus lots of people couldn't log in anymore, since many people had forgotten the e-mails they had signed up with years before. Also, icons, quoting, image linking, private messaging, etc. stopped being insider-exclusive features and that angered people who paid for IGN insider.

In the last few years they've axed a lot of boards. There's probably only a few quite active boards left there.

CyberCubed
09-09-2016, 12:07 AM
In the last few years they've axed a lot of boards. There's probably only a few quite active boards left there.

I noticed that as well. Kind of makes me sad, I've been visiting IGN boards since 2000 and it used to be a great place to discuss videogames and other randoms stuff. Used to be so active too around 2002-2008 or so. Those were good times.

I was the first user on IGN to ever hit 100,000 posts back in 2006 I think, literally 10 years ago. Back then people thought I had no life.

Prowler
09-09-2016, 12:26 AM
I noticed that as well. Kind of makes me sad, I've been visiting IGN boards since 2000 and it used to be a great place to discuss videogames and other randoms stuff. Used to be so active too around 2002-2008 or so. Those were good times.

I was the first user on IGN to ever hit 100,000 posts back in 2006 I think, literally 10 years ago. Back then people thought I had no life.
Yeah I recognised your username from there. I used to post on IGN back in 2004-2006. Saw you in the old TMNT board there in the episode discussion thread they had there.

I mostly posted on the SmackDown boards, though.

CyberCubed
09-09-2016, 12:58 AM
Does the old TMNT board still exist? I tried my best to keep it alive with 2k3 reviews since it was airing at the time, but barely anyone ever posted so I gave up. :lol:

Prowler
09-09-2016, 01:15 AM
Does the old TMNT board still exist? I tried my best to keep it alive with 2k3 reviews since it was airing at the time, but barely anyone ever posted so I gave up. :lol:
I doubt it does. Back then every game and tv show had its own board, even if some only had like 7 threads. Hell, even some fictional characters had their own board lol.

I guess they probably have a general tv sub-forum now.

CyberCubed
09-09-2016, 01:17 AM
Every so often I just occasionally post a new topic on the PS4 or Nintendo boards, most of the time I never respond and people get so mad, lol.

discordiatookie
09-16-2016, 02:54 AM
Hmm, guess I've a few, but not all are odd/quirky, and more like borderline ocd or just weird:

I always wear odd socks. Have done so for years. My sock drawer is just a rummel of socks, none paired, and putting on matching socks feels weird to me.

I've always said words backwards in my head. Like, i'll get a certain word stuck in my head, then I'll think of how its spelled, picture the letters, then read it from end to start, thinking of how it would be pronounced, etc. Always done it, since I was a kid.

This one was bad as a child, not so much nowadays, but I still get the urge from time to time. If either my left or right side has a wee 'sensation' (for lack of a better word) I need to equal it by copying what I just done with the opposite side. For example, feeling a stone that I just stood on through my trainers on my left foot, I then have to stand on another stone on the same place but on my right foot. Or if I touch something cold with my finger of my right hand, I then need to do it with the same finger or my left hand. Clicking my fingers, scratching my head, pretty much anything that leaves a lasting feeling, even for a few secs, has to be equalled on the other side.

I've got a shaky leg. Normally my left one, half the time I don't even realise its shaking until someone points it out to me or teĺls me to stop (in my family, its usually "FEET" in an annoyed voice, because its been driving whoever crazy)

I've also got a tic in my neck, where it tenses up at the back and my head with shake minutely. Mostly I'm not aware of it until someone points it out, then I get annoyed by it and it gets worse, and it definitely gets worse when I'm stressed. I think this came about in my early teens.

Prowler
09-16-2016, 03:27 AM
Sometimes I blink my eyes fast repeatedly. Usually when I'm a bit anxious/nervous. That or I tap my finger(s) rapidly on a table or wall.

Allio
09-16-2016, 12:07 PM
I flick my wrist randomly

CyberCubed
09-16-2016, 03:24 PM
I have enough salt to fill the entire Atlantic ocean.