PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else prefer nightime over daytime?

CyberCubed
09-06-2016, 11:19 PM
Who here is a night owl? And prefers the darkness of night over daytime?

Lately I've found myself staying up late at nights to 3:30am-4:00am in the morning. I notice from like 10pm onward I can do so much more of what I want to do without distractions whereas for the same 4-5 hours if it was daytime I couldn't do it.

Whereas during the day I always feel like I have to "be doing something else."

Of course for those of us who work in the day shift, this is hard to do.

Powder
09-06-2016, 11:32 PM
I do/am. Always have. It's quiet, isolated, cooler outside, I dig solitude. I also feel better equipped to do stuff in the later hours, be it tasks at home or creative work. Like right now, it's 12:32 EST & I've just wrapped a commission. Now I might build a Gundam. I didn't do a whole lot in the daytime, but I feel ready for whatever from here.

snake
09-06-2016, 11:36 PM
I do for sure. But I've been pretty much forced to go to bed early these past few weeks because of school.

Shark_Blade
09-07-2016, 12:20 AM
I like nightime but not beyond 12pm. I automatically go into sleep mode.

I'm an early morning riser, usually before break of dawn. :) I love the quiet early morning, just getting everything ready and putting things in order. The lack of people at that time is just so peaceful and calming. Being the first one to arrive is a special feeling too.

DarkFell
09-07-2016, 01:09 AM
I usually prefer the daytime only if I'm allowed to sleep in late (like up to 9 AM or 11 AM-ish.) :P

The only exception is when I crash early in the evening; then I'll wake up early the next day.

Otherwise, I'm a huge night owl most of the time.

CyberCubed
09-07-2016, 01:22 AM
You know its funny. They say people who sleep most of the day or stay up at night are, "depressed" or "socially withdrawn" or are "outcasts" but it seems to me the people who say those things are old folk who are used to waking up 5-6am every morning for their entire lives.

FredWolfLeonardo
09-07-2016, 01:50 AM
I prefer nightime, but not because of staying up during that time, but rather because of being asleep.

My sleep schedule drastically differs, sometimes i can sleep from 2 to 10am, while other times its 8-4am

Prowler
09-07-2016, 02:28 AM
I've been trying to fix my sleep pattern lately. I don't like mornings, but you know how life works. Also, staying up late and sleeping late is bad for your health, so I can see why nightowls are "looked down upon". Sadly, time flies when you're on the internet. "Just another 10 minutes!"... and then you look outside and the sun is rising already.

I do like going to bed late, though. Past dinner time until 2-3AM is probably my favorite time of the day. I dislike mornings, mainly the 6 to 9 AM period. Most boring hours ever. So yeah, screw pre-lunch time.

CyberCubed
09-07-2016, 02:30 AM
Also, staying up late and sleeping late is bad for your health, so I can see why nightowls are "looked down upon".

Is this true? As long as you're still getting 7-8 hours of sleep, I don't think it matters if you're awake at night and sleep for the day. After all many people do work night shifts.

The only thing I can think of is you don't get vitamin D from the suns rays, but I never believed that mumbo jumbo.

Prowler
09-07-2016, 03:30 AM
Is this true? As long as you're still getting 7-8 hours of sleep, I don't think it matters if you're awake at night and sleep for the day. After all many people do work night shifts.

The only thing I can think of is you don't get vitamin D from the suns rays, but I never believed that mumbo jumbo.
Irregular sleep patterns and lack of sleep can lead to diabetes and hypertension. And I believe that people who work night shifts for a long time(like I dunno, for 10-15 years or so) are more at risk of having shorter lifespans, but I'm not really sure.

IndigoErth
09-07-2016, 02:12 PM
Night owl checking in. I miss the all-nighters, the current job makes it difficult since the hours change so much and I rarely have two days off in a row. I've had maybe a couple this summer when I was able and got sucked into the genealogy research and that was automatically the end of going to bed at a "normal" time... one of those days I want to bed after 6am, the other was...after 8am. I only slept maybe four hours though to make sure I could get to bed at a normal time the next night before work.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-07-2016, 02:17 PM
Absolutely nocturnal. With kids who wake up way too early.

But hey, once the kids are abed, the adults will play. Or chillax, or work, or whatever.

But like Powder said, it's cooler, quieter, and far less crowded. Win-win-win!

TheSkeletonMan939
09-07-2016, 02:36 PM
When the sun comes up, I get up. When the sun goes down, I go to bed.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-07-2016, 02:37 PM
Agreed! I spent last night up until 12AM, knowing I had to be up again at 3:30AM simply because I wanted to finish my latest chapter.

IndigoErth
09-07-2016, 03:27 PM
Geeze, Duckie :teek:, at that rate I'd have never gotten to sleep. I'm not one of those people that can just climb into bed and shut off, it often takes me a while. And sleeping for only an hour or two would make me feel worse.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-07-2016, 07:59 PM
Neither can I usually. Actually with my issues as a ridiculously light sleeper (I will practically wake up if a fly farts) and my brain never "shutting down" I have gotten used to functioning on very little. 4 hours a night is typical for me even when I go to bed early. It does wear one down after a while, which is why I sleep late on days off to "recharge". And there are some nights I basically pass out completely. But most of the time I just don't sleep much.

Icebot
09-08-2016, 05:18 AM
I like how peaceful nighttime is but it's hard for me to sleep when the sun is up but I just bought room darkening curtains so that should help make it easier for me.

Zak The Neutrino
09-08-2016, 10:13 AM
I'm a night owl. Not as much as I would like due to my work schedule though. I typically stay up till about 12-1AM. If I didn't have to be to work at 9AM I would probably stay up later.

I was actually reading an article the other day that people that stay up later and spend a lot of time thinking at night typically have much higher IQ's than the rest. This probably also plays into the night owls are introverts considering most people with high IQ's are introverts.

Donatello19
09-08-2016, 01:44 PM
I do/am. Always have. It's quiet, isolated, cooler outside, I dig solitude.

Perfectly sums up how I feel.

Nighttime is just awesome, I dig staying up late and sleeping during (most of) the daytime. Unfortunately, can't always do that...have to wake up for things, work, etc :ohwell: