PDA

View Full Version : comparing movies

hippyman
09-07-2016, 02:17 PM
I've just been getting back into the turtles, and martial arts over the past couple of months, and the current movies kind of peaked my interest. As far as movies go, I have only watched the first 2, so I got to wondering, are any of the rest of them worth my time? I generally didn't like the looks of the turtles in the new previews. I felt it strayed too far from the source. Which ones would ya'll recommend?

snake
09-07-2016, 02:41 PM
Watch TMNT (2007), but a good idea would be to watch the 2003 tv show or read the IDW or Mirage comics.

The new movies are sh*t. Would not recommend either.

Powder
09-07-2016, 02:52 PM
There's a Casey Jones fan-film I would highly recommend. http://www.caseyjonesthemovie.com/

The third TMNT film gets a lot of flack for its lesser costumes & goofier tone, but it's still worth a watch. TMNT (2007) is decent too but is muddied with too many plots at once, & similar to the third live action sequel, puts a little bit too much time on its human cast.

As for the new film series, they're a huge point of contention in the fan-base. Lots of hatred toward them from hardcore fans, whereas more casual ones seem to like it. My personal opinion? Skip them, unless you have undying urge to see Bebop & Rocksteady, in which case I'd say just do the second one for novelty reasons. They're very poorly written & riddled with plot holes & other errors, so I find the flaws constantly took me out of the viewing experience. Worst of all, they spend more time on April & Vern than turtles. The green teens feel like side-characters in their own movie.
There's no Yoshi/Saki, the turtles know martial arts from a book, The Foot are military goons, April beats Shredder in the first one, Casey's in law enforcement, fart & boner jokes ahoy, Splinter is an abusive father, Mike is a pervert, there are so many things wrong with the characterization. If you are very passionate about this property, these films may cause you great frustration. :tlol:
Additionally, if you've not seen the animated feature Turtles Forever, in which the 2003 'toon turtles meet their 1987 counterparts (& even Mirage's comic cast), I'd suggest you check that out too! It's a great homage. There's also an enjoyable and fairly comprehensive documentary called Turtle Power.

WebLurker
09-07-2016, 11:40 PM
I actually didn't think the new TMNT movies were that bad, although they're not Oscar winners, for sure. If you're curious, I'd say go for it. The second one is the better of the two (although seeing the first is important to understanding stuff about the second), and if you love the '80s cartoon, there'll probably be something for you. Maybe a few things.

I can second the "Turtles Forever" movie as worth seeing (although I think the Nick TMNT TV show remake did it one better).

Andrew NDB
09-08-2016, 12:26 AM
Watch TMNT (1990). Then TMNT (2007), maybe. Then read the Mirage comics and commit seppuku, praying for better TMNT movies in the next life.

C'mon. You all knew I was going to say something like that.

Krutch
09-08-2016, 06:03 AM
Turtles 1 is a great film with heart and still holds up well.
Turtles 2 is fun but feels more dated than the first one.
Turtles 3 gets a worse rep than I feel it deserves, but its definitely the weakest of the trilogy.
TMNT has high highs and low lows but it's all muddled in a poor story.
Ninja Turtles is awful; it plays like a checklist on how not to make a movie.
Ninja Turtles: OOTS is an improvement in every way over the first but it's still confined to the pitfalls established by the first one.

ToTheNines
09-08-2016, 06:34 AM
I agree with everything you said, except your assessment of OOTS.

Krutch
09-08-2016, 06:52 AM
Yeah, liking OOTS isn't a popular opinion around here. And I'm just saying it's an improvement. Side by side, there's no comparison. Everything about it was more competent; the direction, the focus, the acting, the pacing, the editing, the colour palate, the choreography, the humour, the heart... Everything was done with more confidence. Now, whether these improvements actually amount to a good movie is debatable. As far as filmmaking is concerned, there's no contest. This crew did a way better job than the last one did with what they were given.

But it'd still be the equivalent to a kid bringing home a report card graded F one year to getting a D- on the next.

Mileage may vary, of course.

ToTheNines
09-08-2016, 07:04 AM
I think it was a step down. The fights/action scenes were WAY worse, that's the main affront. And it was so long... the first one at least went by quickly lol.

TheSkeletonMan939
09-08-2016, 07:20 AM
The 2007 film is worth a watch. I like the rivalry between Raph and Leo (even though it's a little heavy-handed) and Klaus Badelt's music is kick-ass. Plus, Nightwatcher is awesoem.

pferreira
09-08-2016, 08:41 AM
Turtles 3 gets a worse rep than I feel it deserves, but its definitely the weakest of the trilogy.
Ninja Turtles: OOTS is an improvement in every way over the first but it's still confined to the pitfalls established by the first one.Exactly how I feel about every movie. :)

Masterpiece
10-13-2016, 10:26 PM
Ninja Turtles: OOTS is an improvement in every way over the first but it's still confined to the pitfalls established by the first one.

You read my mind.