PDA

View Full Version : Could the Mirage TMNT crossover a 4th time with Larsen's "Savage Dragon"? Maybe

Andrew NDB
09-08-2016, 12:23 AM
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/5690/ENdZSs.jpg

Andrew NDB
09-08-2016, 12:33 AM
It seems like I tapped into something that was actually already happening, sort of...

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/2231/T0OO5S.jpg

Well, sh*t.

Nortock Diab
09-08-2016, 01:00 AM
Too bad !!!
I am a big Savage Dragon fan. Actually that's what drove me into the Turtles cause I was tracking the volume 3 issues where Savage Dragon characters were guest-starring.
It would have been awesome to see them back in these pages.

CyberCubed
09-08-2016, 01:13 AM
I'm more baffled that Savage Dragon is still going on after all these years and has 222 issues no less. Jesus.

Powder
09-08-2016, 03:49 AM
Bobby, if you know anybody who might be able to help with that, please talk to them!

I'd love to see some red masked Mirage turtles making a cameo again.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-08-2016, 08:01 AM
Wow! I'm not much of a Dragon fan, although I didn't mind the Volume 3 issue he was in.

Still... I might have to lend this my support because MIRAGE/IMAGE TMNT, dangit.

Andrew NDB
09-08-2016, 11:30 AM
Sounds like no-go, but not really too surprising.

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/7805/X6N7ot.jpg

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-08-2016, 11:35 AM
Sounds like no-go, but not really too surprising.

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/7805/X6N7ot.jpg

Not surprising at all.

Man, Pete is REALLY sick of Turtles. He'll never finish Volume 4... :tgrumble:

Diorm
09-08-2016, 02:43 PM
What? Savage Dragon is still going? :o

Andrew NDB
09-08-2016, 03:23 PM
What? Savage Dragon is still going? :o

I myself haven't read it in ages, but you have to respect it. Erik Larsen has done every issue of it entirely solo, and it moves in real time, completely unconcerned with other comic book business models or even what else is going on at Image.

Powder
09-08-2016, 03:28 PM
He & Stan Sakai (Usagi Yojimbo) are some of the most respectable bad-ass dudes in comics for that very reason. I dunno how they do it. True passion at work.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-08-2016, 03:28 PM
I myself haven't read it in ages, but you have to respect it. Erik Larsen has done every issue of it entirely solo, and it moves in real time, completely unconcerned with other comic book business models or even what else is going on at Image.

That's amazing!

CyberCubed
09-08-2016, 04:42 PM
What even goes on in Savage Dragon to give it 222 issues worth of story material? I mean, don't you eventually run out of ideas at some point? Eventually you just got to let a series end before it runs itself into the ground.

Andrew NDB
09-08-2016, 05:09 PM
What even goes on in Savage Dragon to give it 222 issues worth of story material? I mean, don't you eventually run out of ideas at some point? Eventually you just got to let a series end before it runs itself into the ground.

From what I gather it's become a generational thing. He had a son, then he died and his son took over when he was older, then he came back and then his son has a son now. And it turned out he was some kind of tyrannical emperor of a war-like alien race who eventually gets his memories back, or something.

Ninjinister
09-08-2016, 05:24 PM
I would actually buy another issue if that happened.

AquaParade
09-08-2016, 06:12 PM
I'm not really surprised, but the fact that Peter asked him to stop sending him idw tmnt digital issues sounds pretty odd.
You'd think you might at least feign interest in your old friends' latest work.
Being tired of tmnt I can understand, rejecting your partners work is a little harder to grasp. Seems like the tmnt messed him up pretty bad.

Not my place to judge, but it stood out to me.

ToTheNines
09-08-2016, 06:28 PM
I'm not really surprised, but the fact that Peter asked him to stop sending him idw tmnt digital issues sounds pretty odd.
Being tired of tmnt I can understand, rejecting your partners work is a little harder to grasp. Seems like the tmnt messed him up pretty bad.

Definitely sad. I'm super non-confrontational, so I certainly would have just played along & shot him a quick "thanks man, cool comic" once a month. But on the other hand it's cool that they've known each other so long that Pete's comfortable enough to speak his mind with him.

AquaParade
09-08-2016, 06:39 PM
Definitely sad. I'm super non-confrontational, so I certainly would have just played along & shot him a quick "thanks man, cool comic" once a month. But on the other hand it's cool that they've known each other so long that Pete's comfortable enough to speak his mind with him.

That's a good way of looking at it.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-08-2016, 07:04 PM

I felt the same way reading that...

Powder
09-08-2016, 07:21 PM
I can appreciate Pete's perspective though. Here's a guy who you were once brothers with, still somewhat estranged (perhaps with residual tension), giving you what may feel like regular reminders that your baby continues without you, steadily deviating from your vision. It would rub me the wrong way too, I think, though I'd certainly understand it comes from a well intended place. The guy probably feels like crap about TMNT to some extent, knowing that the world rejected his original concept & considers it low on the turtle totem... :ohwell: I mean, there are hundreds of casuals who argue online that the source material is "wrong" for its tone, lack of color, red masks, etc. I'd be resentful too.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-08-2016, 07:22 PM
I can appreciate Pete's perspective though. Here's a guy who you were once brothers with, still estranged with perhaps a bit of tension remaining, giving you regular reminders that your baby continues without you, steadily deviating from your vision. It would rub me the wrong way too, I think, though I'd certainly understand it comes from a well intended place.

That is also a very good point. I hadn't considered that.

Andrew NDB
09-08-2016, 09:01 PM
regular reminders that your baby continues without you, steadily deviating from your vision.

Probably something like that. Pretty much 100% of the demons (so to speak) he devoted a large portion of his life staving off are front and center in just about everything Nick/Paramount/IDW is doing.

CyberCubed
09-08-2016, 09:41 PM
If I remember correctly PL did post on his blog he read the first few IDW issues, I remember him saying he didn't care for the reincarnation origin, or that April named the Turtles instead of Splinter. I don't think he ever read anything beyond the first 4-5 issues though.

DK2
09-09-2016, 09:41 PM
Had no clue about another TMNT Savage Dragon crossover being arranged. Anything else about this failed project? I mean why does Eric Larsen need Peter Laird and Kevin's permission/consultation or participation? Wouldn't it be Viacom or IDW to go ask? I assume the attitude of Peter as well, it kinda goes both ways. Kevin wasn't involved with the TMNT in the 2nd iteration of success "the 2K3 era". Yes he sold off a chunk of his TMNT rights around the 2000's, retained a royalty payment. Then was completely bought out in 2008, right? I believe the tension in their work relationship/partnership occurred during the TMNT Next Mutation series. Kevin went with the idea of the lady turtle Venus DeMilo and that put a strain on their partnership. Peter didn't like Kevin doing that as an OK. Pete was against it. This was something where they both stood up to protect the Turtles' property with integrity, together. Yet Kevin broke that line. Kevin mentions this in his artobiography I believe too. As a partner he didn't back up Peter. Also Peter stated in the Turtle Power docu that Kevin moved to California while he stayed in Northampton. It made the business partnership complex to run when the partners are across the country. So I see this as both sides of a coin. Peter ran the TMNT how he would've preferred it run in 2K3 and Mirage comics. Kevin lost interest in the Turtles at this time. Now Peter sold the TMNT and Kevin's back on the Turtles doing I assume what he'd have done with the Turtles. But I find Kevin's involvement more like an assist. He always plotting and doing layouts and covers on the current comics. So its maybe the way they'd like to be alone with the TMNT respectively. Peter's retired, done too in his life with not just the Turtles but comics overall. Its just how I see it.

myconius
09-13-2016, 07:43 AM
as much respect i have for Peter Laird, the liberties he's taken with Tmnt vol. 4 were way crazier turning April into a drawing than having her name the Turtles.

the reincarnation was actually REALLY difficult for me to digest at first.
not going to lie, at first i really hated it and was kind of pissed after they switched out the red masks for multi-colored.

but eventually i really embraced the change.

i can understand if somethings not 'your' idea, why it would be more difficult to appreciate.

and if Peter does wish to distance himself from Ninja Turtles, it's probably better to politely ask not to be sent something that would cause upset or irritation. (to what ever degree that might be?)

my assumption is, Peter might just prefer their interaction just be about anything else other than Turtles?

this is just my guess though.

about a year ago, i picked up a free copy of the Savage Dragon FCBD special.
it just didn't grab me.

Andrew NDB
09-13-2016, 12:14 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/941/CMuwtr.jpg

That happened, and then some intrigue today... Erik actually got in touch with Peter and Gary Richardson. It seems we now know a little bit more about Peter's 18 comics a year deal, too.

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/184/UAbHEI.jpg

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-13-2016, 12:22 PM

That happened, and then some intrigue today... Erik actually got in touch with Peter and Gary Richardson. It seems we now know a little bit more about Peter's 18 comics a year deal, too.

Went and read through the whole discussion on Facebook. Interesting stuff.

I think you're a LITTLE harsh on IDW TMNT, though, Andrew. :twink: Bobby, Tom, and Kevin all have real passion and heart for their product. Yes it is undeniably hobbled by Nick/Viacom, but I wouldn't say it's had a drastic effect on their desired direction and stories.

Andrew NDB
09-13-2016, 12:27 PM
I think you're a LITTLE harsh on IDW TMNT, though, Andrew. :twink: Bobby, Tom, and Kevin all have real passion and heart for their product. Yes it is undeniably hobbled by Nick/Viacom, but I wouldn't say it's had a drastic effect on their desired direction and stories.

I didn't attack IDW TMNT in any way in that. In fact, I praised the team.

But yeah, it's a little bit like... you're out in Europe, and you are loaned this awesome Ferrari to drive. You want to take it out on the street, cruise the autobahn... but you can't, the owner has it right here in black and white that you can only drive it in circles around this little private track and that's it.

myconius
09-13-2016, 12:28 PM

while not being completely 'Dead-Dead', the idea of Peter Laird HAVING to be "actively involved in the creation" ....

..... well that pretty much sums it up.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-13-2016, 12:32 PM
I didn't attack IDW TMNT in any way in that. In fact, I praised the team.

But yeah, it's a little bit like... you're out in Europe, and you loaned this awesome Ferrari to drive. You want to take it out on the street, cruise the autobahn... but you can't, the owner has it right here in black and white that you can only drive it in circles around this little private track and that's it.

Oh, no, please don't misunderstand. I didn't think you were attacking IDW TMNT at all. But you seemed overly dismissive.

"There no longer exists any human heart at the center of TMNT, only executives, flowcharts, focus groups and that sort of thing." That's why I mentioned specifically Bobby, Tom, and Kevin.

At the level ABOVE them, absolutely no human heart. But for the level that is most involved in the creative process, we're okay.

Candy Kappa
09-13-2016, 12:37 PM
reading the discussion is a freaking emotional roller coaster. :lol:

myconius
09-13-2016, 12:42 PM
reading the discussion is a freaking emotional roller coaster. :lol:

you ain't kidding!! :lol:

Andrew NDB
09-13-2016, 01:22 PM
"There no longer exists any human heart at the center of TMNT, only executives, flowcharts, focus groups and that sort of thing." That's why I mentioned specifically Bobby, Tom, and Kevin.

At the level ABOVE them, absolutely no human heart. But for the level that is most involved in the creative process, we're okay.

IDW isn't at the center of TMNT. It's not even inside the same sphere. I certainly wasn't speaking of Bobby, Tom, and Kevin in that statement. For all intents and purposes, passion and creativity aside, those guys and IDW at large are just Viacom's hired guns... allowed to play in a sandbox that is not theirs within the confines and parameters of what Viacom lays down. But absolutely, there is no human heart or human voice at the center of Viacom/Nick that's doing the laying down, or establishing the confines and parameters.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-13-2016, 01:30 PM
IDW isn't at the center of TMNT. It's not even inside the same sphere. I certainly wasn't speaking of Bobby, Tom, and Kevin in that statement. For all intents and purposes, passion and creativity aside, those guys and IDW at large are just Viacom's hired guns... allowed to play in a sandbox that is not theirs within the confines and parameters of what Viacom lays down. But absolutely, there is no human heart or human voice at the center of Viacom/Nick that's doing the laying down, or establishing the confines and parameters.

Okay, yeah, I see what you're saying now. Same page. :tgrin:

CyberCubed
09-13-2016, 01:41 PM
Where are the facebook posts? I want to read them all for myself. Is this in some private conversation or is it public where anyone can read it?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-13-2016, 01:43 PM
Where are the facebook posts? I want to read them all for myself. Is this in some private conversation or is it public where anyone can read it?

Public. Erik Larsen's page.

CyberCubed
09-13-2016, 02:29 PM
Also what's going on with the Image collections? Still no word on them. Does Erik Larsen know if IDW is doing collections or not?

myconius
09-13-2016, 03:36 PM
i used to follow Erik Larsen on my FB, till one day he was complaining about some dude that was "liking" a ton of his photos.

it just struck me as funny that he'd call the guy out publicly like that.

all the poor schmo was doing was showing his appreciation. :lol:

Powder
09-13-2016, 06:35 PM
:trolleye: When you get 50-60 notifications in a row while trying to talk to a business partner, see how much you appreciate it.

myconius
09-13-2016, 06:51 PM
there are far worse experiences in life.

Powder
09-13-2016, 06:57 PM
Hey, a splinter won't sting just 'cause some children go to bed hungry. When you have all those online connections, you get pestered every single day by multiple parties in multiple ways. It's not only a bother, but it slows the site down while you're trying to use it. The guy's entitled to complain about it once in a while. Doesn't make him a whiner or unappreciative of fans.

myconius
09-13-2016, 06:58 PM
as long as it's not a splinter in the eye of god

myconius
09-13-2016, 07:01 PM
when you have as large a following as he has, and pointing some dude out for all his other followers to then go after.....

.... not cool. not in the least.

Powder
09-13-2016, 07:25 PM
I never saw him name names...

myconius
09-13-2016, 07:34 PM
congrats
that's excellent news

Powder
09-13-2016, 07:48 PM
So, wise-ass, are you saying he tagged the guy in the post by name? Because I saw that post (or at least one just like it) & saw nothing of the sort. If he did another, targeting the individual, then yeah, it's bit of a different case.

LeotheLateBloomer
09-13-2016, 10:05 PM
I can appreciate Pete's perspective though. Here's a guy who you were once brothers with, still somewhat estranged (perhaps with residual tension), giving you what may feel like regular reminders that your baby continues without you, steadily deviating from your vision. It would rub me the wrong way too, I think, though I'd certainly understand it comes from a well intended place. The guy probably feels like crap about TMNT to some extent, knowing that the world rejected his original concept & considers it low on the turtle totem... :ohwell: I mean, there are hundreds of casuals who argue online that the source material is "wrong" for its tone, lack of color, red masks, etc. I'd be resentful too.

Which begs the question, did Peter and Kevin always have the same vision for TMNT up until a certain point?