PDA

View Full Version : Tele-markers/Tele-scams

myconius
09-08-2016, 10:56 AM
if you still have a land-line house phone, does your phone ring off the hook with tele-markers?

there was a point where my phone would ring just about every 15 to 30 during certain points of the day.

it eventually got so bad i eventually stopped answering the phone, until i have missed a few very important calls because of it.

caller id isn't even reliable since some of them can actually make MY phone number show up on the id.

the absolute WORST i think are the ones that call claiming to be from the US treasury!!! saying that if you don't call them back right away that they'll take legal action against you.

man-kind really has come a long way.

Powder
09-08-2016, 11:12 AM
This has been a recurring issue for us, yeah. Even after having the number changed like 5-6 times at least in 8 years.

TigerClaw
09-08-2016, 11:28 AM
if you still have a land-line house phone, does your phone ring off the hook with tele-markers?

there was a point where my phone would ring just about every 15 to 30 during certain points of the day.

it eventually got so bad i eventually stopped answering the phone, until i have missed a few very important calls because of it.

caller id isn't even reliable since some of them can actually make MY phone number show up on the id.

the absolute WORST i think are the ones that call claiming to be from the US treasury!!! saying that if you don't call them back right away that they'll take legal action against you.

man-kind really has come a long way.
You can register your number at the National Do Not Call Registry, and the Telemarketers have to follow it.
https://donotcall.gov/

myconius
09-08-2016, 11:31 AM
This has been a recurring issue for us, yeah. Even after having the number changed like 5-6 times at least in 8 years.

damn!! i've been tempted to change my number, but now i see even that won't help!

what i find even more disturbing is when they call asking for a resident of the house by name!

a few times they called pretending to be with PSE&G asking for my account off the bill.

i asked if they really WERE from PSE&G wouldn't they have that information already?

TheSkeletonMan939
09-08-2016, 11:32 AM
I remember reading that old people whose synapses aren't firing on all cylinders are very susceptible to these scams. It's just sick to think of people taking advantage of the elderly like that.

myconius
09-08-2016, 11:32 AM
You can register your number at the National Do Not Call Registry, and the Telemarketers have to follow it.
https://donotcall.gov/

thanks for that info Tigerclaw! i'm going to have to try that out!

I remember reading that old people whose synapses aren't firing on all cylinders are very susceptible to these scams. It's just sick to think of people taking advantage of the elderly like that.

that's awful!!!

myconius
09-08-2016, 11:39 AM
well speak of the devil !!!!

i just got another call from someone asking to speak to the person who handles the electric bill.

i got irritated and said "we don't have electricity"

DarkFell
09-08-2016, 11:41 AM
Robo-calls can still happen even if you're under Do Not Call Registry. My folks still get a lot of calls and I think they're under the registry.

Just let your answering machine / voicemail be your shield.

BubblyShell22
09-08-2016, 11:41 AM
Yep, we get them too. I had one who said that we were having problems with our computer to which I replied, "I'm sorry, we don't have a computer." That shut them up real quick.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-08-2016, 11:43 AM
Robo-calls can still happen even if you're under Do Not Call Registry. My folks still get a lot of calls and I think they're under the registry.

Just let your answering machine / voicemail be your shield.

Or, if you're in the mood, answer and have a little fun with them.

I remember when a telemarketer asked to speak to "Susan" about insurance or something... I calmly and quietly replied that Susan was dead. Hilarity and hijinks ensued; that's one of my favorite stories to trot out whenever I'm in a group. :tlol:

IndigoErth
09-08-2016, 11:45 AM
Some days are quieter than others with the phone. Not sure any have called today so far. Other days I lose tolerance with the number of calls.

Yes, and those scam ones. I think they have backed off finally, but for a while there in the spring and early summer we were getting the IRS one trying to scare us. Think I've mentioned it before, but it's the stupid one that instead of inserting name of a resident the recording just pauses.....then says "You." How lazy have they gotten, you'd have to be very gullible to fall for that. Shame that some such people will. No, not sorry, this household just laughs at how obvious you are.

We got a weird one the other day about inspection/registration renewal on a vehicle being due... They NEVER call with reminders about that. They used to send reminders in the mail, but stopped a few years ago. And the license plate number the recording gave us does not match anything we have. So... Hm.

Not sure what it was about, I only overheard part of it and think it was already deleted, but yesterday we got some semi-threat/scare tactic sounding message from some guy with either an Indian or Arab accent. Yeah right, buddy. Yeah, not suspicious at all, sure. Lazy scammers think that isn't going to stick out like a sore thumb given that all the other telemarketer/scam calls at least sound American born and raised. :roll:

Then there's the telemarketer(s) that like to hang up just as the machine gets it and we have to listen to a prolonged loud dial tone.

And others that won't stop calling now and then and all we here when the machine picks up is them ask my father's first name... Thanks, the man died last November. That one has been painful for my mother and sometimes she does answer these and other damn people and tell them, when she gets an actual human on the line, that he's gone and asks them to stop doing this. Of course it continues. Sometimes she purposely makes them get all apologetic and unsure how to react, etc.

We've tried the "Do Not Call" thing at least a few times over the years. And honestly it never seemed to do much good.

We've gotten the computer one once.... had to assure my mother that there is ZERO reason anyone would contact her first about that. Esp if it's not our legit provider.

myconius
09-08-2016, 11:45 AM

I remember when a telemarketer asked to speak to "Susan" about insurance or something... I calmly and quietly replied that Susan was dead. Hilarity and hijinks ensued; that's one of my favorite stories to trot out whenever I'm in a group. :tlol:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! OH NO!!! :lol:

poor Susan!!! :tcry:

DarkFell
09-08-2016, 11:49 AM
I've tried that a couple of times - one caller / scam insurance company threaten me to 'watch my credit' some years ago, and just recently I made a smarta** remark that "Hey look! I'm calling myself!" when I saw my own number show up on my phone.

They hung up.

But yeah seriously, use your voicemail. Many robo-calls named 'new york', delaware', 'california', gave up due to good old voicemail.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-08-2016, 11:51 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! OH NO!!! :lol:

poor Susan!!! :tcry:

The telemarketer actually got pretty steamed with me. We went back and forth a bit until she hung up. It amused me.

I've tried that a couple of times - one caller / scam insurance company threaten me to 'watch my credit' some years ago, and just recently I made a smarta** remark that "Hey look! I'm calling myself!" when I saw my own number show up on my phone.

They hung up.

That's bizarre... I've never seen my own number like that before. :tlol:

myconius
09-08-2016, 11:52 AM
And others that won't stop calling now and then and all we here when the machine picks up is them ask my father's first name... Thanks, the man died last November. That one has been painful for my mother and sometimes she does answer these and other damn people and tell them, when she gets an actual human on the line, that he's gone and asks them to stop doing this. Of course it continues.

i'm really sorry to hear about your father.

yeah, i've lost mine too. i used to get pretty enraged at those calls asking for my fathers name as well.
now i've just become desensitized by it.

TheSkeletonMan939
09-08-2016, 11:52 AM
Some of the more tech-savvy scammers/marketers have something set up called an 'autodialer' so that they can call multiple numbers at once.

You can usually tell when it's one of these guys because if you pick up the phone and say, "Hello?", a few moments go by before the guy on the other end blurts out, "Hi!" because they can't actually tell when someone's actually picked up the phone. They have no clue at first whether they're actually talking to anyone, because their machines can't differentiate between an actual human and an answering machine.

One guy recorded an incident where an autodialer reached an emergency phone inside an elevator! D'oh!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLTmov_VHQ0

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-08-2016, 11:53 AM
Oh, this one happened recently...

I don't remember how it started, but the girl was actually playing along and having fun with me. I was talking about how hurt I was that she got my name wrong or something, and somehow it quickly devolved into me fearing that I might end up like Harvey Dent in "The Dark Knight." She then began discussing the Joker and how much scarier Heath Ledger was than Nicholson...

At the end, I politely told her I was not interested but that I was very impressed with her attitude and asked if she would connect me to her manager so that I could put in a good word for her. Win win.

myconius
09-08-2016, 11:54 AM
The telemarketer actually got pretty steamed with me. We went back and forth a bit until she hung up. It amused me.

That's bizarre... I've never seen my own number like that before. :tlol:

hahahaha!!! touché!!! :lol:
a tele-marker getting angry with the person they're harassing?? what has the world come to????

that's too perfect! i'm going to have to try that one! :lol:

myconius
09-08-2016, 11:59 AM
Some of the more tech-savvy scammers/marketers have something set up called an 'autodialer' so that they can call multiple numbers at once.

You can usually tell when it's one of these guys because if you pick up the phone and say, "Hello?", a few moments go by before the guy on the other end blurts out, "Hi!" because they can't actually tell when someone's actually picked up the phone. They have no clue at first whether they're actually talking to anyone, because their machines can't differentiate between an actual human and an answering machine.

One guy recorded an incident where an autodialer reached an emergency phone inside an elevator! D'oh!

yeah, sometimes there's this weird sound you'll hear as the call gets connected/transferred to the tele-marker.

She then began discussing the Joker and how much scarier Heath Ledger was than Nicholson...

the real test is what her thoughts on Mark Hamill were??? :D

IndigoErth
09-08-2016, 12:01 PM

Waaah? :lol: WE WILL FIND YOU.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-08-2016, 12:01 PM
yeah, sometimes there's this weird sound you'll hear as the call gets connected/transferred to the tele-marker.

the real test is what her thoughts on Mark Hamill were??? :D

It didn't come up. My wife was just staring at me wondering how the hell we'd transitioned from data plans and bundles to which Joker was better and why.

DarkFell
09-08-2016, 12:03 PM
^ I figured that she would assume that hubby was having fun with the nice people over the phone. :tlol:

TheSkeletonMan939
09-08-2016, 12:05 PM
It didn't come up. My wife was just staring at me wondering how the hell we'd transitioned from data plans and bundles to which Joker was better and why.

All phone conversations ought to end that way in my opinion! :lol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-08-2016, 12:05 PM
^ I figured that she would assume that hubby was having fun with the nice people over the phone. :tlol:

Well, yes. She knew what was going on, just not how it successfully transitioned. I really wish I better remembered the story; I'll see if my better half can fill in the missing pieces for me later...

TigerClaw
09-08-2016, 12:31 PM
I sometimes get robocalls from my smartphone, but I have an app that will block those calls if they try calling again.

Stephen
09-10-2016, 04:58 PM
I've pestered people with telesales calls, although I was unemployed and sent on a work placement, so I didn't really get much choice in the matter, other than to do what I was told to do.

myconius
09-10-2016, 05:02 PM
I've pestered people with telesales calls, although I was unemployed and sent on a work placement, so I didn't really get much choice in the matter, other than to do what I was told to do.

many of us when we were down had to take unpleasant jobs just to have some sort of income.
in tough times, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.