PDA

View Full Version : Shredder meets Kraang (in TMNT: OotS Novelization)

AlZarkovski
09-10-2016, 07:39 AM
I bought this book (https://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Novelization/dp/1101939192/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1473514340&sr=1-1&keywords=turtles+ninja+deluxe) and one chapter struck me as very interesting:

Shredder gasped for air and looked around, trying to figure out where he was. Through a window he could see a strange, colorful landscape unlike any he’d ever seen on Earth. A mask appeared beside him, and voice ordered, “Use it to breathe.”
Shredder placed the mask over his nose and mouth. “Where am I?” he asked.
A large humanoid robot moved toward him. “You’re inside a nightmare,” the robot said. “But it’s all very real. Not a dream.”
“What is this place?” Shredder demanded.
“The last living planet of Dimension X.” The robot spoke more forcefully. “Look at me when I speak to you.” It grabbed Shredder by the neck and yanked his head down until he was staring at robot’s belly. From behind a panel, a pink brainlike alien creature glared at Shredder.
“I know what you’re thinking right now,” the repulsive little blob sneered. “Of all the ways you’d like to kill me. But that would require you outthinking me. And no one – no thing – is smarter than Kraang. I have feasted on the blood of countless species. Rendered every planet in this dimension barren. But Kraang is thirsty for more. I need a new planet to consume.”
Using its robotic tentacle, the alien known as Kraang activated a hologram of spinning blue planet. “Earth,” Kraang hissed.
“What does this have to do with me? Shredder asked.
“Two decades ago, I launched an arc capacitor into Earth’s dimension,” Kraang explained, changing the hologram to show a large futuristic device being launched from a huge spaceship. “It would serve to open a portal big enough for me to bring my Technodrome – a war machine, if you will – through to your planet. But upon entering your atmosphere, the arc capacitor broke apart.”
The hologram showed the arc capacitor breaking up.
“The largest piece landed in your Brasilian rain forest, where it still remains,” Kraang continued. The hologram shifted to show a large chunk of the arc capacitor slamming through the rain forest canopy.
“A second piece plunged into your Atlantic Ocean, where the U.S. government recovered it.” The hologram display a U.S. Navy destroyer ship salvaging the second chunk. “It is on display in New York City’s Hayden Planetarium, though they have no idea what it is”.
“But one earthling has the technology to synthesize the pieces together – Dr. Baxter Stockman,” Kraang said. The hologram showed Stockman working in his lab.
Shredder didn’t hide his surprise at the mention of Stockman. Kraang grinned knowingly. “Heard of him?”
“Your resources and your immorality make you the perfect agent for my plan of destruction. Retrieve the two pieces and deliver them to Stockman. He should be bright enough to assemble the arc capacitor and open the portal.”
Kraang moved back a step and spoke with finality. “Failure is not an option. You will need a stronger army. This will make that possible.” The alien handed Shredder a vial of purple ooze.
Build a better army. Open the portal. I’ll see you on the other side.”

And yes - the book is very different from the film.:P

sdp
09-10-2016, 09:33 AM
How much else does it change from the final movie?

Jr. Novelizations aren't made with the shooting script but a near final script which is why there are changes.

Leolead
09-10-2016, 09:47 AM
Krang sound way more menacing than the stupid, over-the-top version we saw in OOTS

Panda_Kahn_fan
09-10-2016, 09:47 AM
I've read this, too. The first big change is it states Shredder and Baxter knew of Krang's existance before the first meeting, due to baxter's research into their recovered artifact/the teleporter. (and I personally think they extracted the ooze that made the tmnt from said teleportation device after the foot clan found it) The second change is the book doesn't have the turtles beat krang, or Shredder getting frozen. The novelization ends on cliffhanger with the technodrome's arrival, and the turtles preparing to take on shredder, krang, rocksteady, bebop, and the rest of the foot clan.

ToTheNines
09-10-2016, 09:57 AM
I've read this, too. The first big change is it states Shredder and Baxter knew of Krang's existance before the first meeting, due to baxter's research into their recovered artifact/the teleporter. (and I personally think they extracted the ooze that made the tmnt from said teleportation device after the foot clan found it) The second change is the book doesn't have the turtles beat krang, or Shredder getting frozen. The novelization ends on cliffhanger with the technodrome's arrival, and the turtles preparing to take on shredder, krang, rocksteady, bebop, and the rest of the foot clan.

Holy ****. Imagine being a kid, reading that up to the cliffhanger, then going to the movies just to see that crapsack anticlimactic ending...

Low blow Paramount.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-10-2016, 10:09 AM
Holy ****. Imagine being a kid, reading that up to the cliffhanger, then going to the movies just to see that crapsack anticlimactic ending...

Low blow Paramount.

The novelization doesn't finish the story? :tlol: I'm tempted to call BS... pictures, please.

ToTheNines
09-10-2016, 10:30 AM
Buy it on amazon :lol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-10-2016, 11:03 AM
Buy it on amazon :lol:

Bro. BRO. BRO.

I ain't giving this crap one red cent of my hard-earned, much-too-scarce currency.

Let one of the people who actually enjoy and support this "version" of TMNT post pictures and prove it's right.

I mean, I'm not calling anyone a liar; I've got no beef. My statement should be understood that I simply find this unbelievable. Such gross incompetence... I don't want it to be true.

So... I need pictures. :tlol:

Candy Kappa
09-10-2016, 11:10 AM
So... What is Shredder's motivation to go along with Kra(a)ng's wannabe-Galactus-planetary-feast plan?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-10-2016, 11:38 AM
So... What is Shredder's motivation to go along with Kra(a)ng's wannabe-Galactus-planetary-feast plan?

Not ending up a Krang tentacle victim? I dunno.

Panda_Kahn_fan
09-10-2016, 11:51 AM
Shredder makes it clear that he believes Krang wants to conquer it's planet to drain it's resources, not destroy it entirely. He thinks they are a team, and will rule the planet together. Also, the betrayal of stockman isn't in the novelization.

The cliffhanger gives you the impression that the south America battle with bebop and rocksteady is the story's climax, and the technodrome's arrival is a cliffhanger to lead into the next movie, making the ending battle/betrayals feel kind of tacked on.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-10-2016, 11:54 AM
Shredder makes it clear that he believes Krang wants to conquer it's planet to drain it's resources, not destroy it entirely. He thinks they are a team, and will rule the planet together. Also, the betrayal of stockman isn't in the novelization.

The cliffhanger gives you the impression that the south America battle with bebop and rocksteady is the story's climax, and the technodrome's arrival is a cliffhanger to lead into the next movie, making the ending battle/betrayals feel kind of tacked on.

That's astonishing.

Candy Kappa
09-10-2016, 11:55 AM
Not ending up a Krang tentacle victim? I dunno.

Yeah, but... The ninja master could just use some good old fashioned ninjutsu and lie his way out.

Seems like there's no reason for Shred-Head to stick with Kra(a)ng's plan as soon as he's teleported back to earth.

Panda_Kahn_fan
09-10-2016, 11:57 AM
Yeah, but... The ninja master could just use some good old fashioned ninjutsu and lie his way out.

Seems like there's no reason for Shred-Head to stick with Kra(a)ng's plan as soon as he's teleported back to earth.

I like I just said in my last post, Shredder makes it clear that he believes Krang wants to conquer it's planet to drain it's resources, not destroy it entirely. He thinks they are a team, and will rule the planet together. The novel makes no indication Krang is going to betray shredder at all, nor does shredder betray baxter. The betrayals and shredder feezing is in the movie only, not the book.

IndigoErth
09-10-2016, 02:07 PM
Yeah, bought and read it after it came out in stores. Some things are better. But like the movie it's pretty noticeable that it starts to get rushed in the later portion of it.

I've posted bits and pieces of it on the forum previously as well.

The novelization doesn't finish the story? :tlol: I'm tempted to call BS... pictures, please.

Yes, it ends...

...right when the Turtles come up to the road to meet the cops. They meet, boom, done.

Seriously. That's where it stops, as if there was automatically supposed to be a sequel after it. I was dumbfounded that it stopped there.

TheSkeletonMan939
09-10-2016, 02:43 PM

I actually think many Jr. novelizations pull this little stunt. It's a nice way of telling kids "**** you for buying a book, go spend seven dollars on a movie ticket."

IndigoErth
09-10-2016, 02:49 PM
Although unlike the other movie-related books that don't give anything away, they did not release this one until after the film was out. The book for the previous film, though worse written (but in a way that turns it into a laughable guilty pleasure), didn't end in a weird spot like this one does.

Honestly it makes me wonder if the Krang fight was a late addition just to wrap up the film on the chance that a third didn't happen.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-10-2016, 04:00 PM
I actually think many Jr. novelizations pull this little stunt. It's a nice way of telling kids "**** you for buying a book, go spend seven dollars on a movie ticket."

Wow. That's some advertising strategy. :tlol:

"Screw literacy, kiddo, go watch a movie." :trazz:

TheSkeletonMan939
09-10-2016, 05:20 PM
Whatever it takes to get one more ticket sale.

neatoman
09-10-2016, 05:43 PM
I bought this book (https://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Novelization/dp/1101939192/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1473514340&sr=1-1&keywords=turtles+ninja+deluxe) and one chapter struck me as very interesting:

Shredder gasped for air and looked around, trying to figure out where he was. Through a window he could see a strange, colorful landscape unlike any he’d ever seen on Earth. A mask appeared beside him, and voice ordered, “Use it to breathe.”
A large humanoid robot moved toward him. “You’re inside a nightmare,” the robot said. “But it’s all very real. Not a dream.”
“The last living planet of Dimension X.” The robot spoke more forcefully. “Look at me when I speak to you.” It grabbed Shredder by the neck and yanked his head down until he was staring at robot’s belly. From behind a panel, a pink brainlike alien creature glared at Shredder.
“I know what you’re thinking right now,” the repulsive little blob sneered. “Of all the ways you’d like to kill me. But that would require you outthinking me. And no one – no thing – is smarter than Kraang. I have feasted on the blood of countless species. Rendered every planet in this dimension barren. But Kraang is thirsty for more. I need a new planet to consume.”
Using its robotic tentacle, the alien known as Kraang activated a hologram of spinning blue planet. “Earth,” Kraang hissed.
“Two decades ago, I launched an arc capacitor into Earth’s dimension,” Kraang explained, changing the hologram to show a large futuristic device being launched from a huge spaceship. “It would serve to open a portal big enough for me to bring my Technodrome – a war machine, if you will – through to your planet. But upon entering your atmosphere, the arc capacitor broke apart.”
“The largest piece landed in your Brasilian rain forest, where it still remains,” Kraang continued. The hologram shifted to show a large chunk of the arc capacitor slamming through the rain forest canopy.
“A second piece plunged into your Atlantic Ocean, where the U.S. government recovered it.” The hologram display a U.S. Navy destroyer ship salvaging the second chunk. “It is on display in New York City’s Hayden Planetarium, though they have no idea what it is”.
“But one earthling has the technology to synthesize the pieces together – Dr. Baxter Stockman,” Kraang said. The hologram showed Stockman working in his lab.
Shredder didn’t hide his surprise at the mention of Stockman. Kraang grinned knowingly. “Heard of him?”
“Your resources and your immorality make you the perfect agent for my plan of destruction. Retrieve the two pieces and deliver them to Stockman. He should be bright enough to assemble the arc capacitor and open the portal.”
Kraang moved back a step and spoke with finality. “Failure is not an option. You will need a stronger army. This will make that possible.” The alien handed Shredder a vial of purple ooze.

Huh, Krang is menacing and Shredder is mentioned as immortal, this is basically the IDW versions of them...

How about the tone of the book? This one part doesn't include the "tentacle mucus" line or Krang having trouble controling the body, so is the tone more serious?

Powder
09-10-2016, 07:50 PM
Immoral, as in devoid of a sense of goodness, not immortal.

Coola Yagami
09-10-2016, 08:11 PM
It doesn't sound all that different from the movie though.... Maybe some of the dialogue is different, but it's still 'hey I'm an alien talking brain, but don't let that freak you out too much or anything. I made a machine to conquer the world and Baxter has part of it, you will help me. here's some mutagen for some of your guys.' and Shredder is like 'sure, ok'.

Pretty much the same deal.

Panda_Kahn_fan
09-10-2016, 10:23 PM
It doesn't sound all that different from the movie though.... Maybe some of the dialogue is different, but it's still 'hey I'm an alien talking brain, but don't let that freak you out too much or anything. I made a machine to conquer the world and Baxter has part of it, you will help me. here's some mutagen for some of your guys.' and Shredder is like 'sure, ok'.

Pretty much the same deal.

No, that's not what happens. Shredder and Baxter know who krang is, know his intentions for earth, and know he made the mutagen. It was an alliance with what he considered a valuable ally, and there's no sign of the movie betrayals anywhere.

Panda_Kahn_fan
09-10-2016, 10:34 PM
Huh, Krang is menacing and Shredder is mentioned as immortal, this is basically the IDW versions of them...

How about the tone of the book? This one part doesn't include the "tentacle mucus" line or Krang having trouble controling the body, so is the tone more serious?

Yes, the tone is more serious, and the childish and stupid dialogue removed.

Utrommaniac
09-10-2016, 10:55 PM
It's still missing one very important thing: a more appropriate reaction from Shredder. That man was too subdued for a gigantic brain alien in his face.
Maybe the lack of oxygen got to his head really fast, but I take major issue with how he just accepted everything that happened to him.

Even OT Shredder would probably have panicked and attempted to throw a punch, and that's the dynamic they were trying to replicate.

Panda_Kahn_fan
09-10-2016, 11:31 PM
It's still missing one very important thing: a more appropriate reaction from Shredder. That man was too subdued for a gigantic brain alien in his face.
Maybe the lack of oxygen got to his head really fast, but I take major issue with how he just accepted everything that happened to him.

Even OT Shredder would probably have panicked and attempted to throw a punch, and that's the dynamic they were trying to replicate.

But he knew about krang already. There was some surprise over the teleporter taking him to dimension X instead of to Baxter's lab, but he was aware of Krang's existence already. Baxter's reaction when shredder told him about krang and the offer indicated this contact with krang and offer of alliance was something Shredder and the foot clan had been waiting for, ever since they had found the teleporter, and baxter studied it.

WebLurker
09-11-2016, 12:15 AM

Actually, from my very limited experience, the only other jr. novelizations I've seen do this are the Marvel Cinematic Universe ones.

Of the recent jr. novelizations I've read -- Jurassic World, all the Star Wars: The Force Awakens ones (the official jr. novel plus Rey's Story, and Zootopia -- finished the story. Even a few older ones I've seen over the years -- Jurassic Park 1, the first two Star Wars trilogies, Lilo and Stitch -- were complete, too.

Chris
09-11-2016, 01:56 AM
I remember the Pirates of the Caribbean and Prince of Persia novels did the same. I think it's because they came out before the film and they didn't want to spoil the ending

Leolead
09-11-2016, 01:58 AM
Yes, the tone is more serious, and the childish and stupid dialogue removed.
Wow and this is the junior novelization we're talking about.

TheCanadiandrome
09-11-2016, 02:11 AM
Think I'll give this a look

Galactus
09-11-2016, 10:54 AM
Well it's certainly better but the entire scene is a wash. We can put a lot of the problems with this movie on the producers and writers but Green could have done something to ease people in as it's such a sharp shift in tone from goofy yet grounded thing the movie was doing at that point it's jarring. Cliche as it is the Jurassic Park effect of the water ripples as the T-Rex thuds near is effective in cueing the audience in that something different is coming and it's gonna to be big. Something like that was needed here perhaps Shredder materializing in the dark Techndrome room and a moment of silence before hearing the building thuds of Krang's robot feet before he grabs him.

I still think it would have been more palatable if they'd established that Shredder had been working with Krang off screen all along and this was Shredder just communicating with him across dimensions similar to Loki projecting himself to Chitauri world in the Avengers. They were already ripping that movie off they may as well have done that.

Also wouldn't it have been better if there was only one mcguffin to find? I'm sure I remember reading Form and Fuller were intent on sending the turtles to another country or city as well as Brazil which would make sense. Three items in three distinct locations but I'm guessing due to the movie's short run time and lack of budget they nixed it and just had the two items conveniently in New York.

If there was just the the one in Brazil to find then it actually frees a lot of time for A: The turtles to have a proper discussion on the purple ooze and B: Actually work in a fight somewhere. Perhaps have the turtles make the reasonable deduction that Foot would want to steal the purple ooze back and go the NYPD HQ and fight the Foot ninja there instead of arriving late and just knocking out the one. Wouldn't that have been better than the messy museum scenes and eye rolling of Raph and Mike breaking into police head quarters?

WebLurker
09-11-2016, 12:03 PM
I remember the Pirates of the Caribbean and Prince of Persia novels did the same. I think it's because they came out before the film and they didn't want to spoil the ending

Which Pirates novelization? I remember that at least some editions of Dead Man's Chest ended with the Kraken getting Jack Sparrow and the Black Pearl and skipping the part where the surviving crew decide to go to World's End and rescue him from Davy Jones' Locker, but since that was more of a coda anyways, I honestly took that as a "close enough" to getting the whole story.

Wow and this is the junior novelization we're talking about.

They're sometimes better. I think Michael Kogge's junior novelization of Star Wars: The Force Awakens was better than Alan Dean Foster's adult-targeted version, since the former felt like captured the characters better and did a deeper analysis of them.

Andrew NDB
09-11-2016, 12:47 PM
They actually commissioned someone to write a novel of this? :lol:

IndigoErth
09-11-2016, 12:53 PM
Hey, I was hoping that they would after the first one was so badly written that it was pretty entertaining. I wanted more of that. (No offense intended to that writer, after all look what they had to work with.) This one wasn't as accidentally funny, it was a little better written, but it has its moments.

Andrew NDB
09-12-2016, 11:06 AM

So basically...

Krang: I'm Galactus, I eat planets and I'm out of planets. I hear you're immoral, I love it. Help me eat the Earth. Here, make some mutants or something.
Shredder: But --
Krang: Great, thanks, see you soon.
*poof*

There are actually people in this thread who wanted to see this scene?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-12-2016, 11:35 AM
So basically...

Krang: I'm Galactus, I eat planets and I'm out of planets. I hear you're immoral, I love it. Help me eat the Earth. Here, make some mutants or something.
*poof*

But... but...

But Krang!

neatoman
09-12-2016, 12:05 PM
So basically...

*poof*

It's bad but it's still better than the version the actual movie gave us, it's pretty much the same here except we at least got some explaination for what's going on instead of Krang squirting mucus in Shredder's eye. At least here find out what, where and why.

Leolead
09-12-2016, 12:58 PM
So basically...

*poof*

5x Better than what we got in the actual movie.

WebLurker
09-12-2016, 06:55 PM
5x Better than what we got in the actual movie.

I actually think the movie came off one better, since it makes more sense for Shredder to want to help. In the movie (if I recall correctly), it sounded like Krang wanted to conquer the world, not strip it of resources like some kind of Borg. I can see why Shredder would want to be part of the former (too bad for him Krang does not share). I can't see what motivation he'd have to join in in the book.