PDA

View Full Version : Official Episode Discussion S4 Ep 19: Bat in the Belfry

victory_angel
09-11-2016, 01:40 AM
One last hurrah before we go into hiatus.
ZwLS8xd32Lw

So it seems this Crystal may not be the blessed gift that may be intended as April seems to be headed down a dark direction. And certain parties could be taken down with her or taken down by her before all is said and done.

So now we must ask, who are these creatures that seem to have suddenly jumped out of Mikey's comic book, are they friends? Foes? And what is going on with the war between the Foot Clan?

Autbot_Benz
09-11-2016, 02:47 AM
really 5 new episodes after a 4-5 month hiatus. and now we go on break again.I am really loosing my patience with these damn TMNT breaks.

Redworld96
09-11-2016, 03:07 AM
Enjoylable episode. April in this episode was literally:
http://images.memes.com/meme/390260

Vicky82
09-11-2016, 03:28 AM
Enjoylable episode. April in this episode was literally:
http://images.memes.com/meme/390260

She's got a Crystal Meth addiction :lol:

Redworld96
09-11-2016, 03:36 AM
Totally xD
And I dont know if Wignut's voice actor was announced before, but it's Daran Norris

Chaotix12345
09-11-2016, 03:56 AM
Totally xD
And I dont know if Wignut's voice actor was announced before, but it's Daran Norris
Ah, so they DID get a previous Batman VA for the job...just not the one anyone expected. :lol: Daran Norris actually played Bats in the fairly recent DC Superfriends shorts. Good pick for a comical take on him.

Redworld96
09-11-2016, 04:04 AM
Ah, so they DID get a previous Batman VA for the job...just not the one anyone expected. :lol: Daran Norris actually played Bats in the fairly recent DC Superfriends shorts. Good pick for a comical take on him.

Then it's an accurate choice because ...

http://115.imagebam.com/download/GfOQq3FB_yrqqCXwjUa1ZQ/50393/503922071/2016-09-11_094425.png
This is so Batman lol :lol:

Vicky82
09-11-2016, 04:10 AM
Then it's an accurate choice because ...

http://115.imagebam.com/download/GfOQq3FB_yrqqCXwjUa1ZQ/50393/503922071/2016-09-11_094425.png
This is so Batman lol :lol:

So who voiced Screwloose.

Redworld96
09-11-2016, 04:13 AM
So who voiced Screwloose.

Jeff Bennett

http://orig05.deviantart.net/c6a6/f/2015/114/f/e/the_voice_of___jeff_bennett_by_legion472-d7pb2zi.jpg

Vicky82
09-11-2016, 04:16 AM
Oh Wow that's awesome, So that's another voice actor from Gargoyles in this :D

I'm surprised Bill Fagerbakke hasn't voiced anyone yet as he's with Nickelodeon a lot, due to voicing Patrick from Spongebob.

TurFlytle
09-11-2016, 10:02 AM
The Fantastic Four Food Groups reminds me more of the Aqua Teen Hunger Force than the Fantastic Four.

snake
09-11-2016, 10:10 AM
Yeah, Monoculus is an original character. No idea what TMNTplay was on about.

TurFlytle
09-11-2016, 10:19 AM
Ok, I guess the Aeons meant anybody could be corrupted, even April, Wignut and Screwloose.

PApagreg
09-11-2016, 10:29 AM
I just realized something they out of all of the comic references they didn't reference X men or Daredevil

TurFlytle
09-11-2016, 10:30 AM
Well, Dark April's pretty much confirmed.

thundermaster612
09-11-2016, 10:32 AM
In that final shot a part of April's hair is like, really pushed off to the side. It looks weird. So how long will this hiatus be?

snake
I really liked this one. These past two episodes have been a major improvement imo. The fight scenes were good, crystal-fied Wingnut and Screwloose were great, and "junkie that needs her fix" April was entertaining.

8/10

Vicky82
Ok, that was a crazy episode.

PApagreg
09-11-2016, 10:33 AM
Well that was meh, April all the suddenly got addicted to the Crystal's power and pretty much became venom, Casey is still annoying(and so is Mikey) and Wingnut and Screwloose became mutants, fantastic.

Is it too much to ask for an episode that doesn't focus on the turtles

NinjaMan
09-11-2016, 10:33 AM
Aww I wanted Wingnut and Screeloose to stay :( I really liked them. Great episode loved it!

snake
09-11-2016, 10:35 AM
Well that was meh, April all the suddenly got addicted to the Crystal's power and pretty much became venom, Casey is still annoying(and so is Mikey) and Wingnut and Screwloose became mutants, fantastic.

You're crazy if you think that Nick would allow an episode without the turtles

M.O.D.O.K.
09-11-2016, 10:38 AM
Anyone else notice the 1989 Batman nod with Skullface McGillin?

Haalix
09-11-2016, 10:38 AM
Why is every Mikey-centric episode goofy? at least not serious. i love all four of them but now im getting really annoyed with Mikey. Casey level of annoying. how hard is it to make an episode a bit more serious that focuses on Mikey? Or just focus it on all of them.

on the other side, i'm really liking the April part so far. hopefully, but probably not, she ends up facing the turtles in the finale or something in battle, or she accidently hurts one of them because of the crystel

PApagreg
09-11-2016, 10:39 AM
You're crazy if you think that Nick would allow an episode without the turtles

If Nick can have an episode without Lincoln Loud as the focus and episodes focusing on Zuko I think we can have an episode focusing on the turtles

Vicky82
09-11-2016, 10:40 AM

It wasn't suddenly. April's had that crystal for a long time now and we started seeing the dark side of her since the episode City at War. This is the 1st episode that April didn't want to take it off or give it to someone else and you could see that it was making her addict and her dark side is getting worse

GoldMutant
09-11-2016, 10:42 AM
Why is every Mikey-centric episode goofy? at least not serious. i love all four of them but now im getting really annoyed with Mikey. Casey level of annoying. how hard is it to make an episode a bit more serious that focuses on Mikey? Or just focus it on all of them.

They did, they're called It Came From the Depths and Into Dimension X!. Only one thing: they're both from nearly three seasons/two seasons ago.

snake
09-11-2016, 10:42 AM
If Nick can have an episode without Lincoln Loud as the focus and episodes focusing on Zuko I think we can have an episode focusing on the turtles

ATLA was at the peak of it's popularity and WAY more focused on story that the Zuko only episodes were almost needed. Nick realized they had something that could be enjoyed by both kids and adults with ATLA and took risks. Don't even compare it with 2k12.

Chaotix12345
09-11-2016, 10:46 AM
Really cool episode. I like how they played up Wingnut and Screwloose's Batman element while still maintaining their kinda berserk nature at the end with the crystal. It's also just really nice to finally see them portrayed as heroes in animation. Really liked the little Huanu namedrop as well. Little disappointed that they couldn't stick around, but hey, it's not like they're completely barred from reappearing in the future. Interested to see where this April plot is going...

Also, I couldn't help but think that the whole "Wingnut and Screwloose turn into evil nutcases while everyone around them reminds them that they were heroes in the comics" was a commentary on how the '87 show turned them into generic alien invader villains. :lol:

Wonder which version of them we'll see in toy form: good or evil? It'd be great to get both, but I'm not sure they'd dedicate two whole figures to both of them. (At the very least, it'll be nice to see a full figure of Screwloose that's articulated.)

PApagreg
09-11-2016, 10:49 AM
It wasn't suddenly. April's had that crystal for a long time now and we started seeing the dark side of her since the episode City at War. This is the 1st episode that April didn't want to take it off or give it to someone else and you could see that it was making her addict and her dark side is getting worse

Except that her dark side was brought out for her need for power but now after using the crystal she is flat out addicted, give Spiderman some credit it took him a few episodes to be addicted to the symboite with April its one episode and she turned into Gollum

Vicky82
09-11-2016, 10:50 AM

on the other side, i'm really liking the April part so far. hopefully, but probably not, she ends up facing the turtles in the finale or something in battle, or she accidently hurts one of them because of the crystel

They did, they're called It Came From the Depths and Into Dimension X!. Only one thing: they're both from nearly three seasons/two seasons ago.

New Friend, Old Enemy is a serious Mikey episode aswell.

I love to have more serious Mikey episodes too, but as he's a young kids favorite character, I can't see it happening.

PApagreg
09-11-2016, 10:52 AM
ATLA was at the peak of it's popularity and WAY more focused on story that the Zuko only episodes were almost needed. Nick realized they had something that could be enjoyed by both kids and adults with ATLA and took risks. Don't even compare it with 2k12.

Okay lets compare it to one thats not on ATLA level, Teen Titans had episodes that focused on other characters and TMNT 2k3 had a lot of episode focusing on the supporting characters or the villians of the series

Vicky82
09-11-2016, 10:53 AM
Except that her dark side was brought out for her need for power but now after using the crystal she is flat out addicted, give Spiderman some credit it took him a few episodes to be addicted to the symboite with April its one episode and she turned into Gollum

Wow your an idiot, how can you compare Spiderman to April.

Spiderman is a main character, April is not and she's not in every episode. If she was a main character and in every single episode, then her addiction would be brought up in every episode.

snake
09-11-2016, 10:53 AM
Really cool episode. I like how they played up Wingnut and Screwloose's Batman element while still maintaining their kinda berserk nature at the end with the crystal. It's also just really nice to finally see them portrayed as heroes in animation. Really liked the little Huanu namedrop as well. Little disappointed that they couldn't stick around, but hey, it's not like they're completely barred from reappearing in the future. Interested to see where this April plot is going...

Also, I couldn't help but think that the whole "Wingnut and Screwloose turn into evil nutcases while everyone around them reminds them that they were heroes in the comics" was a commentary on how the '87 show turned them into generic alien invader villains. :lol:

Wonder which version of them we'll see in toy form: good or evil? It'd be great to get both, but I'm not sure they'd dedicate two whole figures to both of them. (At the very least, it'll be nice to see a full figure of Screwloose that's articulated.)

:lol: I wish we'd get figures for W/S but I doubt it. Playmates has really been sucking with their character selection lately. I'm gonna assume, that if anything, we'll get the evil versions. Alternate heads would be the way to go, but I can't see that happening either.

GoldMutant
09-11-2016, 10:56 AM
New Friend, Old Enemy is a serious Mikey episode aswell.

I love to have more serious Mikey episodes too, but as he's a young kids favorite character, I can't see it happening.

Completely forgot about that one! Then again, it did felt rushed.

Mikey can't have serious episodes? False. Look at some of the other episodes from the seasons: Wrath of Tiger Claw, The Manhattan Project, Parastica (even if that episode I didn't fully like), debatable on Attack of the Mega Shredder!, etc. You know what they've got in common? (well, first two examples weren't centered on him, but regardless) Rather serious episodes with a serious Mikey; even with his goofy moments from those episodes in terms of dialogue, he makes up for it with a supporting and loving fashion. He motivates his family, shows immense creativity, he's practically the little kid who keeps trucking and makes us smile.

Write him good, Mikey shines. Write him wrong, you get stuff like The Croaking. It's frustrating, Raph shouldn't always be reduced to anger, Leo shouldn't be primarily the guy taking the heavy hits all the time, Mikey shouldn't 90% of the time be goofy.

shame i forgot about those, but you're right. I hope they'll make more this season
Ah, fair enough, sorry it wasn't too specific. I agree either way. :)

(Will watch the episode later on)

PApagreg
09-11-2016, 10:57 AM
Wow your an idiot, how can you compare Spiderman to April.

Spiderman is a main character, April is not and she's not in every episode. If she was a main character and in every single episode, then her addiction would be brought up in every episode.

You are so stupid you know that right, I was comparing how both Spiderman and April got addicted to power them being main or supporting is irrelevant. Also April is a main character

Also "you're"

Haalix
09-11-2016, 10:58 AM

shame i forgot about those, but you're right. I hope they'll make more this season

Vicky82
09-11-2016, 10:58 AM
Eugene Son wrote this episode, so that's why it wasn't a serious Mikey episode.

Vicky82
09-11-2016, 11:01 AM
You are so stupid you know that right, I was comparing how both Spiderman and April got addicted to power them being main or supporting is irrelevant. Also April is a main character

Also "you're"

Actually she's not, she's a minor character, it's the same with Casey too. If April was a main character, then she would be in every single episode.

Haalix
Completely forgot about that one! Then again, it did felt rushed.

Mikey can't have serious episodes? False. Look at some of the other episodes from the seasons: Wrath of Tiger Claw, The Manhattan Project, Parastica (even if that episode I didn't fully like), debatable on Attack of the Mega Shredder!, etc. You know what they've got in common? Rather serious episodes with a serious Mikey; even with his goofy moments from those episodes in terms of dialogue, he makes up for it with a supporting and loving fashion. He motivates his family, shows immense creativity, he's practically the little kid who keeps trucking and makes us smile.

Write him good, Mikey shines. Write him wrong, you get stuff like The Croaking. It's frustrating, Raph shouldn't always be reduced to anger, Leo shouldn't be primarily the guy taking the heavy hits all the time, Mikey shouldn't 90% of the time be goofy.

Ah, fair enough, sorry it wasn't too specific. I agree either way. :)

(Will watch the episode later on)

I take it back, he's had several in previous season... just not this season, and that's the problem. it's a shame, Mikey has huge potential. But then again, so do the others and that isn't fully explored either.

NinjaPug
Wow your an idiot

Gets me every single time

snake
09-11-2016, 11:02 AM
Okay lets compare it to one thats not on ATLA level, Teen Titans had episodes that focused on other characters and TMNT 2k3 had a lot of episode focusing on the supporting characters or the villians of the series

Teen Titans was a comic book show. Justice League, BTBATB, all those shows had episodes like that because the writing was competent. A turtles episode without the turtles is not happening with this incarnation.

pannoni1
09-11-2016, 11:02 AM
Well if April is a main character so is Mary Jane, and despite her ambitions at being darker, she did save the day in this "comic book virtually comes to life" episode. It was a pretty standard episode though nonethless.

Show Grade: 7/10

NikitaZhukov
09-11-2016, 11:08 AM
I can't be the only one who was extremely happy to hear S1 music there (scene with Raph vs Screwloose on the cathedral).

The Happy One
09-11-2016, 11:08 AM
Even with its flaws, this episode had me laughing pretty good:lol:

It was meant to be taken lightly- all while moving a plotline ahead. I think they executed that pretty well.

If anything bugged me...it was the, once again, overused 'Mikey being undermined/his seventh sense being undermined trope'. I don't care that he has that seventh sense, but his brothers excuse it so many times I would think that they'd get the lesson now.

It feels a tad worn out. Especially when Raph says "we should listen to Mikey more often!" like they haven't said that a million times.

Other than that- pretty solid 7/10. :tthumbsu:

PApagreg
09-11-2016, 11:12 AM
Actually she's not, she's a minor character, it's the same with Casey too. If April was a main character, then she would be in every single episode.

You don't have to be in every episode to be a main character, the Crystal Gems from Steven Universe aren't in every episodes but they are main characters. As for April she is integral to the plot and appears in like 85% of the episodes thats pretty much main characterish

Teen Titans was a comic book show. Justice League, BTBATB, all those shows had episodes like that because the writing was competent. A turtles episode without the turtles is not happening with this incarnation.

TMNT is a comic book show to and just because the writing is incompetent we should't criticize it.

GoldMutant
09-11-2016, 11:19 AM
I take it back, he's had several in previous season... just not this season, and that's the problem. it's a shame, Mikey has huge potential. But then again, so do the others and that isn't fully explored either.

It certainly varies with who writes what episode. To go off topic briefly, let's use Michelangelo as an example, comparing It Came from the Depths to The Croaking.

In the former, nearly everyone is against Leatherhead for his breakdowns, which cues "by the face" (:lol:) and Splinter sending him off after Leatherhead beats down his sons. What does Mikey do? While his brothers search for the power crystal, Mikey befriends LH through his caring attitude; even after the attack in the lair, Mikey still goes to find Leatherhead. It's a childish act for certain, but written in a way that you feel bad for LH and Mikey being sympathetic. The bond between the two was well done, but it's taken a major backseat; whether by the arcs of season 3 and 4 or something else, I do want to see them go on an adventure together. I'd think it'd be fun for just one Turtle to team with the Mutanimals, lots of untapped potential there.

However, then you have The Croaking two seasons later. It still remains my least favorite episode of the show, but man, I didn't like Mikey there. Forced reasoning (couldn't be an accidental mistake?), Mikey getting rewarded for no reason, just a bore for me personally.

Alright, I'm getting wayyy off topic, but you get the gist. The good, bad, and average for Mikey varies a lot in quality for his character. As I said, you write him good and he's not only entertaining, but a good character too; writing him bad resorts in him being comic relief a lot, when many comics and other episodes throughout the franchise show him as more than that.

(breathes in) I rest my case, Your Honor. I'll be back with a cross-examination of this episode later on.

Vicky82
09-11-2016, 11:29 AM

It was meant to be taken lightly- all while moving a plotline ahead. I think they executed that pretty well.

If anything bugged me...it was the, once again, overused 'Mikey being undermined/his seventh sense being undermined trope'. I don't care that he has that seventh sense, but his brothers excuse it so many times I would think that they'd get the lesson now.

It feels a tad worn out. Especially when Raph says "we should listen to Mikey more often!" like they haven't said that a million times.

I can understand why they didn't believe him though because it was pretty crazy to them but Casey did believe him for a moment. It wasn't like the other times when they should have believed him/took him more seriously.

And it wasn't about believing his seventh sense because they all know that the Crystal is making April crazy, it more about where the eye ball creature came from.

Haalix
09-11-2016, 11:31 AM
It certainly varies with who writes what episode. To go off topic briefly, let's use Michelangelo as an example, comparing It Came from the Depths to The Croaking.

In the former, nearly everyone is against Leatherhead for his breakdowns, which cues "by the face" (:lol:) and Splinter sending him off after Leatherhead beats down his sons. What does Mikey do? While his brothers search for the power crystal, Mikey befriends LH through his caring attitude; even after the attack in the lair, Mikey still goes to find Leatherhead. It's a childish act for certain, but written in a way that you feel bad for LH and Mikey being sympathetic. The bond between the two was well done, but it's taken a major backseat; whether by the arcs of season 3 and 4 or something else, I do want to see them go on an adventure together. I'd think it'd be fun for just one Turtle to team with the Mutanimals, lots of untapped potential there.

However, then you have The Croaking two seasons later. It still remains my least favorite episode of the show, but man, I didn't like Mikey there. Forced reasoning (couldn't be an accidental mistake?), Mikey getting rewarded for no reason, just a bore for me personally.

Alright, I'm getting wayyy off topic, but you get the gist. The good, bad, and average for Mikey varies a lot in quality for his character. As I said, you write him good and he's not only entertaining, but a good character too; writing him bad resorts in him being comic relief a lot, when many comics and other episodes throughout the franchise show him as more than that.

(breathes in) I rest my case, Your Honor. I'll be back with a cross-examination of this episode later on.

This should be seen by the writers :lol: what i do wonder is if little kids actually think its funny, Mikey goofing off like that (and who the bigger audience is, teens or little kids)
for example, I used to love avatar as a little kid just because it was so serious, and yet still funny. wouldn't that be the case with kids today? or was I an exception? :D

PApagreg
09-11-2016, 11:33 AM
This should be seen by the writers :lol: what i do wonder is if little kids actually think its funny, Mikey goofing off like that (and who the bigger audience is, teens or little kids)
for example, I used to love avatar as a little kid just because it was so serious, and yet still funny. wouldn't that be the case with kids today? or was I an exception? :D

Considering how SU and Star Wars Rebel is popular I say yes to the first one hell the Amazing world of gumball had better series episodes than this show.

Vicky82
09-11-2016, 11:36 AM
There are 6/7 episodes left and I expect they will get more serious with Super Shredder coming and Dark April. So even if there isn't any serious Mikey centric episodes, there will be serious episodes with Mikey in them.

PApagreg
09-11-2016, 11:43 AM
There are 6/7 episodes left and I expect they will get more serious with Super Shredder coming and Dark April. So even if there isn't any serious Mikey centric episodes, there will be serious episodes with Mikey in them.

Oh goody two of the best aspects of this show, Shredder hard on for mantling Splinter's head on his living room wall and mutants those are the two things that make this show new and exciting. As for the dark April if it is anything like this episode I doubt its going to be above average

GoldMutant
09-11-2016, 11:44 AM

Or you know, promote one of us to a job writing for the show? :P

I dunno, it's pretty subjective. I know I got a kick out of the humor in season 1 by Mikey, then I was only 12 to 13. Probably boils down to how you write a show; some will laugh, some will groan. It's comedy 101, you're bound to get booed at first, but then they'll laugh with you or at you! :lol:

Haalix
09-11-2016, 11:45 AM

I'm down for that, all-turtle centric and seriousness with a bunch of humour :D and lots of fighting scenes

snake
09-11-2016, 11:45 AM
This hiatus is gonna suck big time. I predict we won't get anything until november

Vicky82
09-11-2016, 11:53 AM
This hiatus is gonna suck big time. I predict we won't get anything until november

I'm predicting 9th or 16th October because they got fit all that in and start season 5 before the Christmas break.

NinjaPug
09-11-2016, 12:12 PM
Doubt we get any of S5 before 2017.

BubblyShell22
09-11-2016, 12:22 PM
Pretty fun episode. Loved all the Batman parody references and thought Wingnut and Screwloose were pretty entertaining throughout this episode. April is definitely going crazy with this crystal and it seems to me that something is definitely going to happen before she gets this hold on her off for good. I have a feeling it may result in something happening to her friends or maybe her dad. Overall, a fun little episode. Normally, I would mind a break, but in light of what's going to be happening in my life tomorrow, I welcome it for a little bit.

TigerClaw
09-11-2016, 12:50 PM
Cool episode, I was right about the Batman puns, there was plenty of it. :tsmile:

GoldMutant
09-11-2016, 12:50 PM
Well, finally watched it.

As usual, action was stellar (yay, season 1 music!) and animation was on point. Really nothing else to comment on in terms of the same stuff that often excels.

The one thing I'll say is Daran Norris and Jeff Bennett (confirm if it's him please, I knew it was Norris though) are an entertaining duo together, anyone else know of a show or game where they are on screen together? Bennett was great imitating Robin here, though he came off more as Scott Menville's Robin in Teen Titans than Burt Ward's Robin to me. Unfortunately, this is where the episode's biggest downfall comes into play.

When the show does parodies, they're often subtle or only utilize obvious stuff so it doesn't bother me too much. However, there was way too much 60's Batman material that it felt like I was watching a rejected episode or comic of Batman himself. I do like 60's Batman for what it was, but it got grating. The giant colorful letters when fighting? Check. "Holy X, Batman/Wingnut!"? Check. Teaching kids good morals? Check. God, all that was needed was a "Same Nutty Time, Same Nutty Channel!" aspect. :roll: Good God, don't force references like that for a full episode. It's grating in my opinion and doesn't make you clever, just trying too hard to get a laugh or say, "Hey, you remember this? We're using it here! Aren't we awesome?"

(breathes in) I'll admit in spite of all that referencing, it does have some nice throwbacks to old Marvel (and Batman) comic covers in the beginning with Leo, Raph, and Mikey in a cute moment. The comics include:

Arachnid-Man: Amazing Spider-Man #300 (the full onscreen debut of Venom)
The Indelible Bulge: The Incredible Hulk #1 (debut of Hulk himself)
Wingnut & Screwloose- The running pose of Batman and Robin in the 60's show and Batman Forever (also Batman and Robin. Correct me if there's a comic with this pose)
Fantastic Four Food Groups- Fantastic Four #1

One last thing to address, "Dark April." Besides some people here believing it can be like X-Men with Wolverine, Cyclops, and Jean Gray/Phoenix, what exactly is the end game here? Apriltello confirmed? The death of April?

The reason I ask is because if it's the second option, I'll be glad for it because April was awful this episode. Regardless of turning obsessed with the crystal ala Golem, it got very old, as old as Casey being "this is metal/wicked/awesome!". As old as Mikey being a dunderhead. As old as the brothers doubting Mikey even though he's been right before with his senses! Monoculus going down so easily by April was another tip of the iceberg of her turning into a Mary Sue for me; we knew nothing of Monoculus itself besides Mikey's stories with Ice Cream Kitty, and April makes him a joke?

Why couldn't it be about the crystal going berserk, forcing the team to call on Wingnut and Screwloose? Or focus on Monoculus at first and then go into the dangers of superheroes being dangerous? There was a lot of potential, but ultimately it's just a Batman parody that does explicit foreshadowing, little else. Massive filler episode outside April's descent. I guarantee you April is going dark in the season finale, where someone dies and/or her, and then the spirit journey is reviving her to life or anyone else she kills. :roll:

There's not much to redeem this episode. Although it has the basic stuff down with animation, action, and voice acting (more Daran and Jeff in any show, please!), the rest is infuriating. It's a fun episode overall, but leaves a whole lot to be desired. 4 out of 10 this episode.

lonewarrior20
09-11-2016, 01:09 PM
i enjoyed it. i really expected aprils irises change to slits or something at the still shot.

victory_angel
09-11-2016, 01:35 PM

Mikey does have a wild imagination in addition to his "Ninja Senses" so it's easy for the other turtles to brush off Mikey's observations as him spewing nonsense only for them to realizes he was right.

CyberCubed
09-11-2016, 01:37 PM
Great episode, it was part a typical Michaelangelo superhero team-up episode and also a nice Wingnut/Screwloose episode. Loved the 60's Batman parody scenes and also liked how they were evil at the end. Also great action scenes at the bell tower, I really loved how it was done.

They also kept their alien origins in the comic book story at least, with them saying what planets they were from. April slowly turning evil or whatever they plan to do with her was nice too.

matteso586
09-11-2016, 01:42 PM
I thought it's going to be Kevin Conroy as Wingnut.

Can't believe nobody brought up the Batman Beyond reference with the costume casings.

The Happy One
09-11-2016, 01:44 PM
Mikey does have a wild imagination in addition to his "Ninja Senses" so it's easy for the other turtles to brush off Mikey's observations as him spewing nonsense only for them to realizes he was right.

Well yeah that's true. I think Vicky brought up a similar point.

It was pretty far out...even for Mikes. Still...it would be nice to see the kid taken more seriously as the show goes on. It's used as a plot device often- like Raph's fear of bugs. It might just be me..:D

Xav
09-11-2016, 01:46 PM
However, there was way too much 60's Batman material that it felt like I was watching a rejected episode or comic of Batman himself. I do like 60's Batman for what it was, but it got grating. The giant colorful letters when fighting? Check. "Holy X, Batman/Wingnut!"? Check. Teaching kids good morals? Check. God, all that was needed was a "Same Nutty Time, Same Nutty Channel!" aspect.I'm kinda surprised they didn't get Adam West to voice Wingnut.

Nasubionna
09-11-2016, 02:50 PM
OMG you guys, that episode was frickiní fantastic! I was smiling the whole time, which I havenít done at a TMNT episode in a long time, and I actually laughed out loud when Mikey bopped the giant eyeball right in the pupil and then got laser-blasted halfway across the block, LOLOLOL!!!! Loved the Mikey and Casey team up, and this is the first time Casey hasnít annoyed me in quite awhile. Dark April is pretty rough, watching her be mean to Donnie breaks my heart. It has potential to be a great arc, but I hope they do it well and that there is a big pay-off for all the pain itís going to cause.

I grew up watching the Adam West/Burt Ward Batman show. My sister and I would watch the re-runs every weekend back in the 80′s and I still love the show to this day. Itís iconic, but somehow it never occurred to me that they would parody it in this show, but Iím SO glad they did. The only possible thing that could have made it better would be to have Adam & Burt do the voices, but it is entirely likely that they sound too old now. Adam West is practically 90, after all! So yeah, Iím perfectly happy with the voices they used, and the whole thing just made me really happy: the sound effects, music, fight sequencesÖ good times! XD

And on top of the super fun references, just a lot of good turtle-family-action: Leo and Raph arguing about comics (Ēthat food has real depth and emotion, man!Ē), Mikey with Ice Cream Kitty, and I thought Donnieís voice acting was really on-point this episode, with his reactions to Aprilís strange and upsetting behavior. I really enjoy the different ways of getting these guest characters into existence and revisiting magic (which weíve seen in this universe before). I like the concept of the alien crystal bringing the characters to life, itís fun to mix it up from just aliens and mutants.

In conclusion: GOOD STUFF, Nick, keep it up!!

CyberCubed
09-11-2016, 02:58 PM
Season 4 is shaping up to be one of the best seasons of the series. As far as I remember there were only 2 episodes this entire season I didn't care for.

Vicky82
09-11-2016, 03:04 PM
Going back to the Mikey doesn't get serious episodes, he cried at the end of this episode and that's pretty rare for a Mikey centric episode.

It was pretty heartbreaking hearing him cry though, it was a full on cry not just a little whimper.

oldmanwinters
09-11-2016, 03:16 PM
I don't know if it was supposed to be funny, but when April was madly manning the canons on the Turtle Blimp, it made me think of Captain Ahab hunting Moby Dick.

GoldMutant
09-11-2016, 03:21 PM

Except that he was right before. Buried Secrets anyone? Mikey doubted because of his suspicions, then proven right by the end. You'd think someone (Leo, maybe Don) could've put it together and realize it? No, let's undermine the guy who was right before because he's hopped on a pizza too many. :roll:

Just served as another way to drive Mikey wanting to prove his point; if they listened, I guarantee this episode's plot would be resolved in the time frame of a 15 minute show, or even less.

AlZarkovski
09-11-2016, 03:22 PM
Drawn characters become alive through the crystal... Sounds familiar, does not it? ;)

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/tmnt/images/1/13/Donatello1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130917121629

Vicky82
09-11-2016, 03:23 PM
I wonder if they should start getting Kirby involved in April's corruption. Maybe have him talk to Splinter that he's worried about her.

Except that he was right before. Buried Secrets anyone? Mikey doubted because of his suspicions, then proven right by the end. You'd think someone (Leo, maybe Don) could've put it together and realize it? No, let's undermine the guy who was right before because he's hopped on a pizza too many. :roll:

Just served as another way to drive Mikey wanting to prove his point; if they listened, I guarantee this episode's plot would be resolved in the time frame of a 15 minute show, or even less.

Buried Secrets was a completely different scenario and it was more about Mikey's senses and yes they should have trusted him but it was difficult because they really thought it was April's Mum. but anyway Donnie must have started to believe him, because he did go back down to ship to check the Kraang's info.

snake
09-11-2016, 03:25 PM
I wonder if they should start getting Kirby involved in April's corruption. Maybe have him talk to Splinter that he's worried about her.

I'd be suprised if he's ever mentioned again

AlZarkovski
09-11-2016, 03:28 PM
Maybe Nick April drawn character too?

Vicky82
09-11-2016, 03:34 PM

I hope not, The Mirage version was stupid.

neatoman
09-11-2016, 03:35 PM

I was suspecting that early on but it can't really be the case, unless Utrom genetics is about turning figments of imagination into flesh and blood.

AlZarkovski
09-11-2016, 03:37 PM
I hope not, The Mirage version was stupid.
Yes, but this version explains why Crystal is only acted on April and Wingnut & Screwloose.

GoldMutant
09-11-2016, 04:28 PM
Buried Secrets was a completely different scenario and it was more about Mikey's senses and yes they should have trusted him but it was difficult because they really thought it was April's Mum. but anyway Donnie must have started to believe him, because he did go back down to ship to check the Kraang's info.

And? Still doesn't change the fact that it happened before and he was right. No excuse for the group to dismiss Mikey's idea again.

neatoman
09-11-2016, 04:28 PM
Remember how Mikey called Kirby-Bat Wingnut? Does this mean Mikey has just been taking his monster names from pop culture or is this just a continuity error? Probably continuity error...

ranger_scout
09-11-2016, 04:54 PM
I thought that today's episode was loads of fun. I loved all of the references to the original Batman TV series. This half of the season really has helped the show return to its former glory. It's shame that we are going to have another hiatus.

Vicky82
09-11-2016, 05:00 PM
And? Still doesn't change the fact that it happened before and he was right. No excuse for the group to dismiss Mikey's idea again.

But this was different because it involved characters coming out of a comic book, which makes more unbelievable. So I can understand why his brothers didn't take his theory seriously.

If Mikey said that the giant eyeball was sent by Lord Dregg, then they would of took his theory seriously.

Hero
09-11-2016, 05:07 PM
Remember how Mikey called Kirby-Bat Wingnut? Does this mean Mikey has just been taking his monster names from pop culture or is this just a continuity error? Probably continuity error...

The episode shows where the "Wingnut" mention came from and answers why he called Kirby it.

CyberCubed
09-11-2016, 05:16 PM
So Buzz-Buzz is this shows version of The Turtle Titan. Buzz Buzz.

M.O.D.O.K.
09-11-2016, 05:29 PM
I don't think Mikey knows about comic book pricing. A missing character would actually RAISE the value, since it would make it rare.

Hero
09-11-2016, 06:11 PM
Leo and Raph with Zipline shell backpacks. I'm guessing those are the same as the upcoming figures Playmates announced around SDCC time.

That whole episode was a real joy to watch. April's going all Gollum/Sid Jones :)

The Happy One
09-11-2016, 06:25 PM

Yup. Right on point. It's soley used for a plot device- an overused one at that.

And although he cried in the end...it was over a comic?? Like..the writers have to understand how much potential Mikey has. Just look at IDW Mikey...he has a fine balance of being an emotional and strong character- serious where it counts and lighthearted all the same. His brothers treat him like the baby...because he is the little bro...but IDW doesn't use him and the way Mikey thinks as a plot device- that no one takes him seriously. That all he cares about is pizza and comics.

That's kinda what Nick relies heavily on when they need a Mikey centric ep.

I mean, I enjoyed this episode. But that trope is getting far too old:roll:

ToTheNines
09-11-2016, 06:30 PM
Was shocked to not hear Conroy/Bader/West be Wingnut, but I instantly recognized Norris. Sounded more like a campy version of his John Jameson than his Batman voice. Here's that Super Friends short that he was Bats in, directed by Ciro and written by Auman.

EDSj5ZvlbuU

The episode was fun, but eventually I just wished they straight up crossed over with the real Batman! I guess it's not as easy for Warner Brothers to work with Nickelodeon as it is for DC to work with IDW, plus this is coming out in November anyways...

http://tmnt-ninjaturtles.com/assets/Batman-TMNT-Adventures-01_Cover-Subscription_rich.jpg

But still! I know they've been turning old TMNT characters into whatever the hell they wanted since day one, but I thought Wingnut and Screwloose had a lot of charm and potential in the old Archie books. Here they're just vessels for a tired homage.

Whatever, still pretty funny and the action was top notch. I haven't looked at who directed this yet, but they made WAY better use of the new grappling harnesses vs. flying baddies than whoever directed Insecta Trifecta. This would have been sweet to see on the big screen.

Oh! More bitching! April and her crystal addiction was some straight up narm. I love Mae Whitman and know for a fact that she's great at dramatic scenes, so I expect much more out of her and Andrea Romano.

Drawn characters become alive through the crystal... Sounds familiar, does not it? ;)

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/tmnt/images/1/13/Donatello1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130917121629

Dude. I bet you're right. They still have to do Donnie's and Mikey's Micro-series adaptions. Good call.

I don't think Mikey knows about comic book pricing. A missing character would actually RAISE the value, since it would make it rare.

Lol, I said the same thing. It's a misprint $$$

THGhost
09-11-2016, 06:31 PM
Oh look, more filler! :D...

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/glee/images/b/b7/I'm_just_kidding.gif/revision/latest?cb=20130404223007

(This is the last time, I promise)

Those fake comics at the beginning. Just brilliant.
Finally we find out what's up with April's crystal!
"Wingnut-a-rang." :lol:
Can't get enough of Ice Cream Kitty ^_^
"Monster Matinee" indeed. :P
Go April. :tcool:
For crying out loud, Leo. Listen to Mikey!
"Zzzzz... Sodium Phosphate... Zzzzz... Dimethyltryptamine..."
Wingnut & Screwloose vs Mikey & Casey. :lol::lol::lol:
"Holy rip-off, Wingnut!"
I know he's meant to be a parody of Batman in this episode, but does Wingnut remind anyone else of The Tick?
Raph vs Screwloose. That fight. That music!

Fun episode. Can we have a Wingnut & Screwloose spin-off please?

Bring on Dark April!

TurtleTitan97
09-11-2016, 06:42 PM
As a comic fan, I really, really, REALLY enjoyed this episode. Holy references, Wingnut!

That final fight scene was the best one in a long while.

TigerClaw
09-11-2016, 06:57 PM
I really hope they bring them back, I could see Mikey use that crystal to bring those two back when they need some help in the future.

Jephael
09-11-2016, 07:24 PM
That was definitely a fun episode! At first I thought it was Scott Menville playing Screwloose since he's known for portraying Robin on Teen Titans and has played several fictional characters on shows the Turtles watch in this reality (normally the sidekick characters that get slapped by the heroes). Was a little disappointed we didn't get any references to "plankton chips".

THGhost
09-11-2016, 07:34 PM
That final fight scene was the best one in a long while.

Couldn't agree more. :tcool:

That was definitely a fun episode! At first I thought it was Scott Menville playing Screwloose since he's known for portraying Robin on Teen Titans and has played several fictional characters on shows the Turtles watch in this reality (normally the sidekick characters that get slapped by the heroes). Was a little disappointed we didn't get any references to "plankton chips".

I thought it was Rob Paulsen. Pleasantly surprised to find it was Jeff Bennett.

ToTheNines
09-11-2016, 07:43 PM
Bennett is a legend. Glad this show added him to their already impressive slew of talent.

Autbot_Benz
09-11-2016, 07:44 PM
I find it funny that Tara Strong has yet to voice anyone in Nick Turtles she is a well used Voice Actor on nick shows.id love for her to voice someone.

matteso586
09-11-2016, 07:47 PM

I thought Donnie was trying to figure out why the Kraang abandoned the farmhouse and that stealth ship.

Jephael
09-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Bennett is a legend. Glad this show added him to their already impressive slew of talent.

I'm checking out his credits on Wikipedia right now but haven't come across anything I'd have recognized him in. I can't help but notice he seems to have done a lot of Disney princess movie prequels and sequels.

On a side-note, I immediately recognized Daran Norris doing his Mr. Turner voice from Fairly Oddparents as Wingnut!

THGhost
09-11-2016, 08:10 PM
I too am very surprised Tara Strong isn't on this show. She could have been the voice of April or Karai.

I'm checking out his credits on Wikipedia right now but haven't come across anything I'd have recognized him in. I can't help but notice he seems to have done a lot of Disney princess movie prequels and sequels.

Really? Not even Johnny Bravo?

Powder
09-11-2016, 08:39 PM
Oh look, more filler! :D...

Your posts are filler.

snake
09-11-2016, 08:40 PM
Your posts are filler.

What the f*ck do these people consider "not filler"? Tmnt is literally built upon stand alone stories

THGhost
09-11-2016, 08:50 PM
Your posts are filler.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/scsc.gif
Words hurt, Powder. http://www.mersenneforum.org/images/smilies/extra/ouch2.gif

Click the spoiler tag in my original post guys, I was joking. :lol:

What the f*ck do these people consider "not filler"? Tmnt is literally built upon stand alone stories

Ask GoldMutant, he brought it up seriously on page 3.

TheMasterTurtle
09-11-2016, 09:03 PM
I haven't loved an episode in a while. Enjoyed them here and there but not loved.

Much of my influence on if I enjoy an episode is how well I enjoy the redesigns and I particularly loved the evil wing nut and screw loose designs. Those are toy worthy.

THGhost
09-11-2016, 09:08 PM
I haven't loved an episode in a while. Enjoyed them here and there but not loved.

Much of my influence on if I enjoy an episode is how well I enjoy the redesigns and I particularly loved the evil wing nut and screw loose designs. Those are toy worthy.

Same here. This one was great. I can see the toys now.

ZacksSoUgly
09-11-2016, 09:12 PM
This was a great episode even though it was kind of a filler. I loved the comic book references, loved the homage to Batman '66, Wingnut and Screwloose were cool, April's Gollum impression was nifty, and the action was good.

I was a little disappointed with Mutant Gangland, so this was a good way to bounce back. I'm really digging this season so far, but I'm bummed it's going on a hiatus already.

As a noob who doesn't have cable, may I ask where you guys find out that the breaks (hiatuses) are coming or ending? Help is appreciated.

snake
09-11-2016, 09:22 PM
This was a great episode even though it was kind of a filler. I loved the comic book references, loved the homage to Batman '66, Wingnut and Screwloose were cool, April's Gollum impression was nifty, and the action was good.

I was a little disappointed with Mutant Gangland, so this was a good way to bounce back. I'm really digging this season so far, but I'm bummed it's going on a hiatus already.

As a noob who doesn't have cable, may I ask where you guys find out that the breaks (hiatuses) are coming or ending? Help is appreciated.

Typically when a new batch of episodes is announced (usually 4) they air those and go on hiatus. If the tv listing sites aren't showing any new episodes the week after a new one, the show is on hiatus.

THGhost
09-11-2016, 09:24 PM
Typically when a new batch of episodes is announced (usually 4) they air those and go on hiatus. If the tv listing sites aren't showing any new episodes the week after a new one, the show is on hiatus.

Does this happen with a lot of other shows? I'm not currently watching many modern cartoons right now and I'm kinda curious.

snake
09-11-2016, 09:27 PM
Does this happen with a lot of other shows? I'm not currently watching many modern cartoons right now and I'm kinda curious.

From what I can tell, not really, or atleast not to the extent of this show. I'm only following Star Wars: Rebels and that only gets 1 or 2 small breaks per season. Incredibly well managed for a cartoon.

THGhost
09-11-2016, 09:30 PM
From what I can tell, not really, or atleast not to the extent of this show. I'm only following Star Wars: Rebels and that only gets 1 or 2 small breaks per season. Incredibly well managed for a cartoon.

Good, I didn't think it would be a common thing.

You've just reminded me: I really need to finish watching Clone Wars and get into Rebels. :P

Powder
09-11-2016, 10:42 PM
Adventure Time has a very similar airing pattern, actually. Those are the only two current western cartoons I follow, so I have no idea if others are pulling it too.

Ninja Tiptup
09-11-2016, 10:59 PM
Norris and Bennet were marvelous but I can't help but wish they had gotten West, Conroy or Bader.

It was clever to make them living drawings, a good homage to Mirage and the crystal that brought drawings to life.

I loved the 60s Batman homages as well.

That said, having them be aliens or mutants who decided to be heroes after reading a comic would have been a good way to do roughly the same thing. But I suppose what they did was a good departure from origin stories in the show thus far.

Cyndaquilfan123
09-11-2016, 11:07 PM
Freaking Loved This Episode!

Mini-Turtle
09-12-2016, 12:00 AM
Pretty good episode, even though I have little to no familiarity with superheroes. VERY interested in seeing more of Dark April. Hoping to see her transform, as Wingnut and Screwloose did when they had the crystal. Have a feeling there is going to be bad blood between her and Splinter, given his interest in having her separated from the crystal.

ZacksSoUgly
09-12-2016, 01:39 AM

Thanks, Snake. I appreciate the info. I've always loosely noticed the pattern of episode releases, but never paid too much attention to the breaks.

MarsicornYT
09-12-2016, 02:05 AM
Have a feeling there is going to be bad blood between her and Splinter, given his interest in having her separated from the crystal.

Yeah, I could see Splinter confiscating it from her and April getting really wazzed off at him.

neatoman
09-12-2016, 04:00 AM
So I'm guessing the reason they chose to make Wingnut a comic book character is because, well, I guess they're saving the real Batman homage for later...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xur6yM0x0zI/TtPRkk3SQVI/AAAAAAAAHPk/rD8bipc_r4c/s1600/Nobody02.jpg

DVD
09-12-2016, 05:19 AM
Good, I didn't think it would be a common thing.

You've just reminded me: I really need to finish watching Clone Wars and get into Rebels. :P

You HAVE to watch Rebels.
I didn't watch CW till it was finished. I got it all as a complete set and watched like a season a week.so I saw it all inside a month. It really really picked up as it went on.
I found that Rebels hit the road running, and was a totally enjoyable show with only the odd episode not quite hitting the mark.

I have just queued up this week's TMNT and the pizza is ordered. Yes, I like to chill with a pizza whilst watching a new episode.

All i can say is that I hope the show had more to offer than last week. First time I've lost interest in an episode since the show restarted.

drgon78
09-12-2016, 06:06 AM
Great episode, much better then last weeks.

neatoman
09-12-2016, 06:43 AM
So has anyone made a crystal meth joke about April yet? Or is that too obvious?

Vicky82
09-12-2016, 07:01 AM
So has anyone made a crystal meth joke about April yet? Or is that too obvious?

I have it's on the first page :lol:

FredWolfLeonardo
09-12-2016, 08:01 AM
As a fan of the Adam West Batman show, this episode is pure joy for me! Thank you Nickelodeon, I'm very happy with this episode :D

I know it won't probably happen again, but I would love it if it Wingut and Screwloose appear sometime in the future. I'm content with them only appearing once though.

oldmanwinters
09-12-2016, 08:16 AM
Okay, so how many times in TMNT history have characters from a comic book come to life, or else been assumed to be fiction but revealed to be real?

The examples I can think of:
The Justice Force (Mirage V1#15; "Return of the Justice Force" 4Kids toon)
Bugman/Brick Bradley ("Michelangleo Meets Bugman" FW toon)
Wingnut, Screwloose, et al. ("Bat in the Belfry" Nick toon)

neatoman
09-12-2016, 08:21 AM
I have it's on the first page :lol:

I don't suppose this is a little too much for this board?
H_4nupAxvNw

Ninja Tiptup
09-12-2016, 02:12 PM
So I'm guessing the reason they chose to make Wingnut a comic book character is because, well, I guess they're saving the real Batman homage for later...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xur6yM0x0zI/TtPRkk3SQVI/AAAAAAAAHPk/rD8bipc_r4c/s1600/Nobody02.jpg

Good point. Get Conroy for Nobody.

CyberCubed
09-12-2016, 04:10 PM
I doubt Nobody will appear in the Nick cartoon this late. I think they would have used him by now if they had any interest.

GoldMutant
09-12-2016, 07:01 PM
Ask GoldMutant, he brought it up seriously on page 3.

Did someone page me and didn't send the memo? :P

Quick summary of what I said in my review because "filler" isn't my issue in the episode. With the exception of the crystal (though blatant foreshadowing) and the chemistry between Wingnut and Screwloose, I honestly didn't like this episode. It was fun for what it was, but my main issue is the episode went wayyyy too far in parodying Batman. Cute at first, but irritating as it drones on.

As for "filler," I'll admit I was a bit harsh. Honestly, there's no such thing as it, some of the best stories as some have pointed out are often the entertaining ones. For me, I just prefer storytelling over fun at points, but I'll gladly take the latter if it appeals to me. :) This episode just wasn't fully my cup of tea; I just find it one of the weakest episodes of the season personally.

Toadtrooper
09-12-2016, 07:41 PM
Kind of wish they had combined Wingnut/Screwloose and Scumbug/Antrax into a 2-parter and made all four come out of the comic book.

Instead, this just feels like a better version of the Scumbug episode, what with the zipline parkour and all.

WebLurker
09-12-2016, 07:48 PM
I doubt Nobody will appear in the Nick cartoon this late. I think they would have used him by now if they had any interest.

"Him"? Wasn't Nobody a woman (Angel something or other)?

Did someone page me and didn't send the memo? :P

[QUOTE=GoldMutant;1623011]Quick summary of what I said in my review because "filler" isn't my issue in the episode. With the exception of the crystal (though blatant foreshadowing) and the chemistry between Wingnut and Screwloose, I honestly didn't like this episode. It was fun for what it was, but my main issue is the episode went wayyyy too far in parodying Batman. Cute at first, but irritating as it drones on.

As for "filler," I'll admit I was a bit harsh. Honestly, there's no such thing as it, some of the best stories as some have pointed out are often the entertaining ones. For me, I just prefer storytelling over fun at points, but I'll gladly take the latter if it appeals to me. :) This episode just wasn't fully my cup of tea; I just find it one of the weakest episodes of the season personally.

Fair enough. I actually liked the Batman parody, and I'm not that big a Batman fan in the first place (the cartoons are good, and I really want to see more of the '60s show, but that's about it). I think it kind of captured why we love superhero characters, regardless of which ones they are. (I'm a Spider-Man fan first and foremost, but could understand why Mikey was so excited to Wingnut in person and so sad when they had to return to the comic pages.)

Also, what's so wrong about calling side episodes "filler"? Frankly, I want to have the occasional filler episode to balance out the longer arcs. I like having stories play out over multiple episodes, but sometimes, I just want to watch a good done-in-one. (Personally, I think this one doesn't qualify as "filler" because of the set-up with April going all Gollum over the Aeon crystal, but that's getting into semantics.)

TigerClaw
09-12-2016, 07:54 PM

[QUOTE=GoldMutant;1623011]Did someone page me and didn't send the memo? :P

Fair enough. I actually liked the Batman parody, and I'm not that big a Batman fan in the first place (the cartoons are good, and I really want to see more of the '60s show, but that's about it). I think it kind of captured why we love superhero characters, regardless of which ones they are. (I'm a Spider-Man fan first and foremost, but could understand why Mikey was so excited to Wingnut in person and so sad when they had to return to the comic pages.)

Also, what's so wrong about calling side episodes "filler"? Frankly, I want to have the occasional filler episode to balance out the longer arcs. I like having stories play out over multiple episodes, but sometimes, I just want to watch a good done-in-one. (Personally, I think this one doesn't qualify as "filler" because of the set-up with April going all Gollum over the Aeon crystal, but that's getting into semantics.)
Angel is Nobody in the IDW comics.
http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Angel_Bridge_(IDW)

GoldMutant
09-12-2016, 07:57 PM

Nobody is mostly a male, IDW being the exception with Angel.

Calling episodes filler is rather subjective, especially based on the last few episode discussions here. Really, there's no pure "filler" in this series as a particular monster or trait returns. Take Noxious Avenger for example; I'm aware my opinion on this episode varies a lot, but in general I find it a weak episode in season 3, among my bottom 10. Regardless, it felt like a side story and almost an afterthought until Muckman returned in the finale. Even then, it did entertain quite a bit.

You can dismiss them, but odds are these one shots are at times better than the story arcs, that is unless the story driven episodes pull all the stops. That's my two cents really; I really haven't seen an episode I thoroughly enjoyed since... Casey Jones vs the Underworld? That's the last episode I fully liked start to finish; future episodes I either don't like, I despise, or like but wanted more out of it. No harm, no foul.

IndigoErth
09-13-2016, 08:56 PM
Fun episode, even if it didn't really get us anywhere other than the real focus being on April falling to the dark side, so to speak. Definitely very different in tone and pace. Shame those two are I guess one episode characters.

Really though... are we going to figure out what the living cloud from the crystal was, or not? :tconfuse: And where did it go. I hope that is an issue that comes back up.

Ashwolf
09-13-2016, 09:01 PM
Fun episode, even if it didn't really get us anywhere other than the real focus being on April falling to the dark side, so to speak. Definitely very different in tone and pace. Shame those two are I guess one episode characters.

Really though... are we going to figure out what the living cloud from the crystal was, or not? :tconfuse: And where did it go. I hope that is an issue that comes back up.

honestly, i think that crystal might be partly, if not completely, made up of soul energy like philosophers stones in fma

MikeandRaph87
09-13-2016, 09:10 PM
The crystal could very well be the key to defeating Super Shredder.

IndigoErth
09-13-2016, 09:20 PM
honestly, i think that crystal might be partly, if not completely, made up of soul energy like philosophers stones in fma
Hmmm, good theory.

I could see that. Though I could, prior to that, see Super Shredder gaining control of her and trying to use her as a weapon.

victory_angel
09-13-2016, 09:24 PM
Nobody is mostly a male, IDW being the exception with Angel.

Let's not forget April also became Nobody in the mirage comics.

WebLurker
09-14-2016, 12:05 AM

I thought it became the character constructs created. If so, then the first one became the eyeball monster and was destroyed by April.

JH24
09-14-2016, 03:06 PM
That was a fun episode. Clever dialogue, some nice action scenes and I really enjoyed Mikey and Casey as a team. Nice to have Casey in an episode where he's written in a good way, playing to his strengths as a character.

The development with April was very interesting, slowly building to a climax. Next time anyone is going to try taking that crystal from April, things really will go wrong.

Andrew NDB
09-14-2016, 03:53 PM
Weird that Wingnut and Screwloose don't simply come from Dimension X. Above almost anyone else in the show, they were like pre-packagedly perfect for the world and tone of the Nick show. They deserve a lot better than a mere Batman parody.

WebLurker
09-15-2016, 12:44 AM
Weird that Wingnut and Screwloose don't simply come from Dimension X. Above almost anyone else in the show, they were like pre-packagedly perfect for the world and tone of the Nick show. They deserve a lot better than a mere Batman parody.

What was wrong with the Batman parody? I really liked the two characters, personally.

TigerClaw
09-15-2016, 08:06 AM
If that's the case, April would be the one that defeats the Super Shredder.

Powder
09-15-2016, 08:14 AM
I sure the hell hope not, it's bad enough April beat him in Bayturtles. Hell, they might be setting it up in IDW, too. I hope there's not a conspiracy here...

WebLurker
09-15-2016, 12:33 PM
I sure the hell hope not, it's bad enough April beat him in Bayturtles. Hell, they might be setting it up in IDW, too. I hope there's not a conspiracy here...

If I recall correctly, in that movie, it was a group effort. April may have lured Shredder into a vulnerable place with the green mutagen canister, but Leo was the one who actually threw the blade that knocked Shredder off.

TigerClaw
09-15-2016, 12:44 PM
Let's not forget that this version of April is now a Kunoichi, so anything is possible.

THGhost
09-16-2016, 08:03 AM
If I recall correctly, in that movie, it was a group effort. April may have lured Shredder into a vulnerable place with the green mutagen canister, but Leo was the one who actually threw the blade that knocked Shredder off.

But then April kicked the blade further into Shredder, thus technically being the one who defeated him.

LeotheLateBloomer
09-16-2016, 09:11 AM
Let's not forget that this version of April is now a Kunoichi, so anything is possible.

She's nowhere near the level of the turtles who couldn't defeat the Shredder themselves, so there's no way she can defeat him.

WebLurker
09-16-2016, 10:27 AM
But then April kicked the blade further into Shredder, thus technically being the one who defeated him.

Oh, forgot about that. But still, since the Turtles were fighting him, too, I think it qualifies as a group effort; April could't have fought him alone and won, much less survived.

THGhost
09-16-2016, 11:10 AM
She's nowhere near the level of the turtles who couldn't defeat the Shredder themselves, so there's no way she can defeat him.

There could be a lot more to her powers that we haven't witnessed yet.

Oh, forgot about that. But still, since the Turtles were fighting him, too, I think it qualifies as a group effort; April could't have fought him alone and won, much less survived.

Yeah, a lot of people were outraged that "April defeated Shredder". :P

TMNTInsighter
09-25-2016, 02:02 PM
I'm late to the party I know alright?! Let me just say that half of this episode was one of the best episodes of the season, quite even perhaps the series! The other half was so bad it just about buries the other half! We have a really good satire on comics (and later on their world and ours) in the beginning and a really good and extremely fun take on Wingnut and Screwloose as they occupy the roles of the '66 Adam West version of Batman (and Robin). Outside of that, the whole "Dark April (and the Crystal Shard)" storyline has been a complete mess and brought down this episode considerably thanks to her ineptly dramatized conflict with regards to the shard, her overbearing and petulant attitude, and the fact that there isn't even anything close to a resolution to close out the episode. The Wingnut and Screwloose part is deserving of a B+ (4.5/5 stars) while the April half gets an F (1/5 stars)--with the overall rating being a C+ (3/5 stars).

Powder
09-25-2016, 03:28 PM
Couldn't agree more.

CyberCubed
09-25-2016, 04:07 PM
I quite liked the Dark April parts, and it makes sense to continually build it up now if its going to come to a climax in the finale of the season.

victory_angel
09-25-2016, 08:19 PM
I quite liked the Dark April parts, and it makes sense to continually build it up now if its going to come to a climax in the finale of the season.

The problem with the episode to me is the whole thing with April felt like it should have been the A-plot but it was being panned out as the B-plot.

The whole thing with Wingnut and Screwloose immedately falling pray to the crystal upon sight is because they are beings that don't exist in reality. Everything they are and know is from the imagination of the person who created them. So when confronted by a powerful object that is outside of their realm of being, they are easily possessed by it.

Donny's computer84
11-20-2016, 12:58 AM
I liked this episode, it paid homage to "Batman 66" an to the Lord of the Rings with comment made by Mikey "my precious". :D

Klunk1234
11-20-2016, 12:58 AM
Great episode and big tribute to Batman '66. But April is really becoming obsessed with that crystal. Mikey was imitating Gollum while April was looking for it.