PDA

View Full Version : Could you handle being famous or well-known?

CyberCubed
09-11-2016, 02:34 AM
And I don't mean incredibly famous, but just well known where random strangers would recognize you on the street. A lot of these so-called, "youtubers" internet fame has actually translated to real life, because now people recognize them on the street after watching them online.

Could you handle being stopped by random strangers in the street if you're famous or well known from either the internet or something in the industry?

Prowler
09-11-2016, 02:45 AM
Well, if you're going by youtube level fame, then I guess I wouldn't mind being well known by many people like James Rolfe aka the Angry Video Game Nerd is. I remember reading an interview of him back in 2007-2008 where he said people on the street or at the supermarket at times would approach him and such.

I'm a quiet and reserved person, though. So on a not so good day it'd be harder to put up with a fan asking for an autograph or a photo. Especially if he was one of those annoying fanboys.

TheCanadiandrome
09-11-2016, 03:04 AM
Not sure lol. I doubt it, I like to mostly remain in he shadows. I'm more a loner type who just socializes with those closest to me

Shark_Blade
09-11-2016, 03:46 AM
I'd keep low profile like the writers Dan Brown and JK Rowling.

Powder
09-11-2016, 03:57 AM
As someone who has had moderate success in an underground music scene, I dunno, maybe not. There comes a point where you start to resent people & see only the negatives. Folks warm up to you for all the wrong reasons, you start to lose trust/faith in new bonds, some fixate their negative vibes on you, etc.

Prowler
09-11-2016, 04:19 AM
I'd keep low profile like the writers Dan Brown and JK Rowling.
Jk Rowling makes public appearances at times, though. Dan brown, however, I have no idea what he looks like... not that I care.

Powder
09-11-2016, 05:03 AM
Bill Watterson (of Calvin & Hobbes) comes to mind. Now THAT is low key.

Prowler
09-11-2016, 06:08 AM
Bill Watterson (of Calvin & Hobbes) comes to mind. Now THAT is low key.
Definitely. Some people even think he died. When was the last time someone ran into him? I remember this C&H fan tried to track him down once(you can see it on youtube) and failed to do so. It's evne hard to find an up to date picture of him.

I also like how Watterson didn't go full capitalist with the C&H brand. Unlike Garfield, you don't see C&H plastered in all sorts of merchandise. And no, before anyone asks, Calvin peeing on Ford's logo t shirts are NOT endorsed by him.

TheSkeletonMan939
09-11-2016, 08:52 AM
When was the last time someone ran into him?

Stephan Pastis, a couple years back. He draws a cartoon called "Pearls Before Swine" and somehow Bill Watterson ended up offering to draw a few strips for him.
You can read about it here. (https://stephanpastis.wordpress.com/2014/06/07/ever-wished-that-calvin-and-hobbes-creator-bill-watterson-would-return-to-the-comics-page-well-he-just-did/)

Watterson and the late Richard Thompson also collaborated a couple years ago for an interview featured in one of Thompson's art books.

snake
09-11-2016, 09:40 AM
Probably, yeah. As long as no one's infiltrating my privacy or my family I think I could handle it.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-11-2016, 12:54 PM
Not sure if it counts as famous, but I am semi-well-known in the town I live in. Apparently just serving half the dang town breakfast and/or lunch every day qualifies as being well-known here. I get recognized all over town by people who come through my drive through. Even when I'm just shopping or whatever.

Cure
09-11-2016, 01:20 PM
I crave it.

IndigoErth
09-11-2016, 02:15 PM
I dunno... I suppose it depends on how famous and how much people bug you. To be known a little for something would be one thing if people aren't bothering you, I could deal with that, but to be legit famous and have people pester you often would get annoying. Fame tends to sound nice, but once your anonymity is gone you can't really get any of it back; giving it up shouldn't be taken lightly imo.

thundermaster612
09-11-2016, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't like it.

Powder
09-11-2016, 04:16 PM
When was the last time someone ran into him?

Stephan Pastis, a couple years back.

He actually did his first ever in-depth interview for a book last year-

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2015/03/09/bill-watterson-talks-this-is-why-you-must-read-the-new-exploring-calvin-and-hobbes-book/

Still need to pick it up myself.

Wesley
09-11-2016, 04:44 PM
No, I'd prefer to be mysterious. I wouldn't like having less privacy.

BubblyShell22
09-11-2016, 05:41 PM
I think it depends. I'd love to be a published author and be recognized for my work and have fans who like my stuff, but I also like privacy and am a bit of a lone wolf type. So I think I'd like a bit of balance and it would work out.

Jephael
09-11-2016, 07:36 PM
If I ever make it in the TV writing/production business I'll letcha know.