PDA

View Full Version : Do you celebrate your own birthday?

Prowler
09-11-2016, 06:37 AM
Birthdays are that time of the year people remember you exist, even those who don't talk to you much. Plus, with facebook it's become easier for people to keep track of each other's birthdays.

I personally haven't celebrated a birthday since I turned... 17? And by celebrating I mean ordering a cake to eat with your immediate family. I've never thrown a party or invited friends over or anything. Never really liked the attention and as an adult I avoid telling others when my birthday is, because I don't want to be greeted with "happy b-day" at work/college and there's nothing more cringeworthy and annoying than people over 20 singing happy birthday in unison at a public place as if it was kindergarten. So yeah, as you can probably tell by now, I don't really care about my birthday.

As for other people's birthdays, I never remember them until the day itself, when facebook tells me of it. There was a time or another where I almost forgot mine even. As in waking up on that day and only realising midway through it "oh right, today is my birthday". So yeah, sorry for confirming the Hollywood stereotype that men are not good at remembering birthdays and other significant dates.

So, what about you? Do you care about your birthday?

TheBlueTurtle1
09-11-2016, 07:37 AM
Just had mine a few days ago. I hate them! I try to treat them just like any other day, I couldn't think of any thing worse than having loads of people focusing their attention on me.

Shark_Blade
09-11-2016, 08:19 AM
I care about other people's birthday more.

Prowler
09-11-2016, 08:22 AM
I care about other people's birthday more.
Some people get really excited about their birthdays. Girls especially really make them a big deal.

MrPliggins
09-11-2016, 08:29 AM
I guess so. If buying myself a cool collectible for my bday counts. But no, I don't buy a cake and throw myself a party.

I do try to take advantage of all of the free meals/etc. that restaurants or businesses give you for your birthday. Free meal/sundae at Red Robin, free scoop of ice cream at Baskin Robbins, etc.

For a close circle of friends, the group of us takes vacations for milestone birthdays.

snake
09-11-2016, 09:46 AM
Some people get really excited about their birthdays. Girls especially really make them a big deal.

Oh God this is true. I've had far too many female friends pester me for a "happy birthday" text. They make sure they let you KNOW it's their birthday, even if if's a week in advance.

Personally? I recieve some smaller gifts or money. My family might go out to eat somewhere and I might bring a friend or two. Cake isn't really involved. If I'm eating cake it's almost always someone elses. :lol:

TheSkeletonMan939
09-11-2016, 09:49 AM
The only way I like to celebrate my birthday is to have kind of a junk-food dinner.

Prowler
09-11-2016, 10:15 AM
Oh God this is true. I've had far too many female friends pester me for a "happy birthday" text. They make sure they let you KNOW it's their birthday, even if if's a week in advance.

Personally? I recieve some smaller gifts or money. My family might go out to eat somewhere and I might bring a friend or two. Cake isn't really involved. If I'm eating cake it's almost always someone elses. :lol:
I liked birthdays and Christmas when I was a kid because, well, a new video game was on its way to my console. As an adult I can buy games whenever I want to now.

Getting a new book is always kinda cool, though. Books are really safe gifts, unless the person you're gifting them to hates reading or something.

IndigoErth
09-11-2016, 02:06 PM
My immediate family always celebrates it for each other. We don't generally do anything big, usually just dinner, a few gifts, and a small cake. A few times we've instead done a day trip on mine and got pizza at home later.

The last actual party was prob one for my brother-in-law a few years ago when his inner child apparently wanted a party at this place that has inflatable slides and other stuff for all ages. (I couldn't bring myself to do it...)

If it was just me alone, I prob would not buy cake or stuff like that. I don't eat enough of it in the first place to make it worth the cost. Maybe I'd just buy some fave ice cream and make a pan of brownies instead.

edit: I just wish birthdays still felt like birthdays instead of feeling like any other day.

Powder
09-11-2016, 04:17 PM
I don't celebrate anything.

Wesley
09-11-2016, 04:36 PM
I like celebrating my birthday alright. I'm not a big fan of birthday wishes on Facebook, though. I started to get tired of them a few years ago.

BubblyShell22
09-11-2016, 05:37 PM
When my dad's parents were still alive, we used to go out to eat for our birthdays every year. We kept up the tradition after they passed, but then it fizzled out gradually and never really came back. Mom's taken me out a few times for my birthday though. Now we probably won't be able to do anything anyway since we'll have to take care of my dad. I hate my birthday because it's always in the wintertime so when we have a bad winter, we can't do anything or go out anywhere.

My BF and I e-mail each other on our birthdays now and that's pretty much it. We would usually celebrate my birthday and Valentine's Day at the same time since it was on the same month, but we didn't get to do that last year and probably won't be doing it this year either.

CyberCubed
09-11-2016, 05:37 PM
I'll be doing this when I'm 80:

https://media.giphy.com/media/l49FjqlyEjCEGyJnG/giphy.gif

We should all aspire to be Bernie Sanders.

The Deadman
09-11-2016, 05:41 PM
Sometimes if I'm hanging with friends.

Andrew NDB
09-11-2016, 06:20 PM
25 seemed like the last one worth celebrating. After that, it's really more the opposite of something celebration worthy.

Utrommaniac
09-11-2016, 06:28 PM
I find that it's often hard to find space to celebrate my birthdays. Like most people, they were certainly more fun when I was a kid - especially in times when we made homemade cakes that were freaking awesome.

My last one was spent with a friend in town for the weekend, and we determined that we'd see OotS just because it was releasing at the same time. It was a very small thing that only had breakfast with my grandparents on the actual date.

IndigoErth
09-11-2016, 06:37 PM
I'll be doing this when I'm 80:

https://media.giphy.com/media/l49FjqlyEjCEGyJnG/giphy.gif
So that's you trying to run away from turning 80?

Jephael
09-11-2016, 07:38 PM
I enjoy being around my family and family on my birthday and treating myself to a nice meal, even if it's just pizza delivery.

plastroncafe
09-11-2016, 08:05 PM
I love celebrating my birthday, and use it as an excuse to host a House Party of some sort. Last year I broke out the pasta rollers and made home-made ravioli. This past birthday there was a backyard bbq.

Next year I'm considering a trip to Florida.

THGhost
09-11-2016, 09:09 PM

You should celebrate that!

Prowler
09-12-2016, 12:08 AM
The only way I like to celebrate my birthday is to have kind of a junk-food dinner.
Unrelated but I once had to cook frozen burgers for dinner... on Christmas night. How sad is that? Bachelor life, baby! :lol:

I guess I don't either. I don't even bother setting up the Christmas tree. A holiday to me just means a free day. Don't care about traditions.

25 seemed like the last one worth celebrating. After that, it's really more the opposite of something celebration worthy.
The last one worth "celebrating" for me was 17. And I just did it because I wanted to eat cake. I don't believe I've celebrated 18 since my mother was at the hospital at the time. Can't say I was in the mood for having cake that day.

When someone wishes me happy birthday I feel like saying "hurray, a year closer to death for me..." but that'd sound too morbid and I have to remember that, unlike on th internet where all the loners flock to, people irl will freak out if you say that or just say "you're no fun!". :tconfuse:

Andrew NDB
09-12-2016, 12:12 AM
Unrelated but I once had to cook frozen burgers for dinner... on Christmas night. How sad is that? Bachelor life, baby! :lol:

I guess I don't either. I don't even bother setting up the Christmas tree. A holiday to me just means a free day. Don't care about traditions.

The last one worth "celebrating" for me was 17. And I just did it because I wanted to eat cake. I don't believe I've celebrated 18 since my mother was at the hospital at the time. Can't say I was in the mood for having cake that day.

When someone wishes me happy birthday I feel like saying "hurray, a year closer to death for me..." but that'd sound too morbid and I have to remember that, unlike on th internet where all the loners flock to, people irl will freak out if you say that or just say "you're no fun!". :tconfuse:

I have a strange dichotomy every birthday since 25. On the one hand, I absolutely don't want a spectacle made of it and would much prefer it pass as any other day on the calendar... it is a reminder of something unpleasant. Yet... if those closest in my circle do that (whether intentionally or not) ... I sort of feel slighted. Does anyone else have that?

Jephael
09-12-2016, 12:15 AM
I absolutely don't want a spectacle made of it and would much prefer it pass as any other day on the calendar... it is a reminder of something unpleasant. Yet... if those closest in my circle do that (whether intentionally or not) ... I sort of feel slighted. Does anyone else have that?

A bug up my @$$ over getting old? Nope, don't got that.

Prowler
09-12-2016, 12:30 AM
I have a strange dichotomy every birthday since 25. On the one hand, I absolutely don't want a spectacle made of it and would much prefer it pass as any other day on the calendar... it is a reminder of something unpleasant. Yet... if those closest in my circle do that (whether intentionally or not) ... I sort of feel slighted. Does anyone else have that?
What, you wish you weren't born or something?

Well, I don't mind people wishing me happy b-day on my facebook page, or getting an e-mail by a close relative on that day. I just don't want to get to class or work and have everyone singing happy b-day to me as if I was in elementary school. That's sooooooooooo cringe.

CyberCubed
09-12-2016, 12:46 AM
Turning 30 is horrifying, I can't imagine when I'll be close to 40.

Prowler
09-12-2016, 12:52 AM
Turning 30 is horrifying, I can't imagine when I'll be close to 40.
Meh it can't be that bad since hundreds of millions of people eventually turn 40. I mean would you rather die at 33 or something?

CyberCubed
09-12-2016, 12:56 AM
Once you hit 40 you're officially pretty up there in the years. At that point your youth is pretty much gone, and you're heading toward the final stages of your adult life.

Once you hit 55-60 that's it, you're over the hill. Even if you live another 20-30 more years.

Prowler
09-12-2016, 01:58 AM
My mom started feeling "old" when she hit 50. If I showed her your posts about feeling old at 30 she'd laugh her ass off.

Andrew NDB
09-12-2016, 02:00 AM
What, you wish you weren't born or something?

No, just that the best of days -- physically -- are already behind. And getting further away.

Prowler
09-12-2016, 02:06 AM
No, just that the best of days -- physically -- are already behind. And getting further away.
isn't 28-32 the prime age, though? At least in Soccer players it seems to be when they're at their best form.

I'm 25 and still haven't peaked physical strength wise. I'm in better shape than when I was a teenager, per example.

Andrew NDB
09-12-2016, 02:12 AM
isn't 28-32 the prime age, though? At least in Soccer players it seems to be when they're at their best form.

I'm 25 and still haven't peaked physical strength wise. I'm in better shape than when I was a teenager, per example.

When you hit 25, your body is actively shutting down and dying and you are at war with it to stave off the horrors of aging and doom.

CyberCubed
09-12-2016, 02:18 AM
I wish there was some way to be immortalized at the age of 28. Seems like a good age. You neither look too young nor too old.

Prowler
09-12-2016, 02:18 AM
When you hit 25, your body is actively shutting down and dying and you are at war with it to stave off the horrors of aging and doom.
Can't say I feel any different than when I was 22 or so. Then again, I'm not an athlete. The only exercise I do is lift at the gym and do some obligatory cardio. Perhaps if I tried to run on the treadmill now at a high speed like did when I was 21-22(I hate running) I'd have ah arder time keeping up with the speed/pace?

Allio
09-12-2016, 07:35 PM
With one snort of coke for every year.

In a few more years I should be able to kill myself

MsMarvelDuckie
09-12-2016, 10:37 PM
How do you not drown doing that?! :teek: :trazz: :tlol: I kid.

But on topic- sweet mother no I do not. Not anymore anyway.

Allio
09-12-2016, 10:46 PM
How do you not drown doing that?! :teek: :trazz: :tlol: I kid.

I have amazing lung compacity.

But don't worry, every year I get closer.

Commenter 42
09-12-2016, 11:37 PM
https://i.redd.it/pbxcwlu60hkx.gif

Prowler
09-12-2016, 11:49 PM

Are you depressed?

Allio
09-13-2016, 12:12 AM
Are you depressed?

I am a depressing kind of person, sure. The bleak world does that to a man.

CyberCubed
09-13-2016, 12:15 AM
The world is better than ever. I plan on living until I'm 99. I can't wait to see what the future brings.

Prowler
09-13-2016, 12:36 AM
I am a depressing kind of person, sure. The bleak world does that to a man.
I can be depressing as well, but I hope I never become unhappy to the point of actually killing myself. Even if we'd probably pick a time to die, dying of suicide doesn't seem very appealing...

Commenter 42
09-13-2016, 12:37 AM
The world is better than ever. I plan on living until I'm 99. I can't wait to see what the future brings.

You can't even handle being 30.

Prowler
09-13-2016, 12:39 AM
CyberCubed will be one of those old perverts you see in anime.

Andrew NDB
09-13-2016, 12:43 AM
-bOKsOveYD0

Allio
09-13-2016, 12:47 AM
I can be depressing as well, but I hope I never become unhappy to the point of actually killing myself. Even if we'd probably pick a time to die, dying of suicide doesn't seem very appealing...

yeah, I'm just going to be that guy and point out what I said was a joke.

Powder
09-13-2016, 01:11 AM

You are too God damn funny, CC. :tlol:

FredWolfLeonardo
09-13-2016, 01:43 AM
CyberCubed will be one of those old perverts you see in anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRfe18Y0llg

ToTheNines
09-13-2016, 04:22 AM

I'm totally stealing this idea.

CyberCubed
09-14-2016, 01:37 AM
http://i.imgur.com/aVbNXUr.jpg

Prowler
09-14-2016, 02:00 AM
What about 30? :lol:

And you can always go for a slightly younger girl(aged 22-23).

CyberCubed
09-14-2016, 02:45 AM
http://images.memes.com/meme/972330

Prowler
09-14-2016, 02:46 AM
My brother is 33 and single. I can't picture him with a wife and kids. Guess the clan will die off with both of us :tgrin:

Allio
09-14-2016, 09:03 AM
In okay at 26

Andrew NDB
09-14-2016, 11:01 AM

lol... that can be so true.

Prowler
09-14-2016, 11:33 AM
Not that many married girls at 26-27 nowadays. The average first wedding age keeps getting higher in developed nations. It's now in the 30-31 here. Back in 1996 it was still in the 26-27 area.

I don't know anyone aged 26 or below who is married or has kids except for a couple of girls of poorer neighbourhoods who are now single moms. Middle and upper middle class people very rarely have kids below 25.

CyberCubed
09-14-2016, 12:54 PM
lol... that can be so true.

The problem is by the time you get into your late 20's or early 30's....most women have already either been married or had boyfriends for years...and many have had kids already.

I feel like most people who date in their 30's are people who have broken up or gotten divorced with whatever woman they spent most of their 20's with...and now they're in the uneasy position of dating a woman who already has kids or is "used and abused."

Prowler
09-14-2016, 01:10 PM
One of my friends is turning 24 this year. He was a bit down after the broke up with his last two gfs, since back in 2014 he told me it was in his medium term plans(about 5 years) to be living with someone(a girl).

A big amount of people, not saying most since I have no idea, by the time they're 22-25 have gotten someone they're eventually gonna live with, get engaged to and eventually marry(if they believe in marriage, that is). But it's not like there aren't many single people in that age bracket either. I'm sure there's several in the 25-30 age bracket as well. Ofc most will have experience by then, but it seems that it's not that uncommon for there to be 20+ year old virgins with zero dating experience. Hell, just go on any internet forum.

THGhost
09-14-2016, 04:21 PM
http://images.memes.com/meme/972330

I thought those were only a myth?

CyberCubed
09-14-2016, 05:11 PM
30 is the new 20.

30 year olds are still hip nowadays, we're still "down" and with it.

Prowler
09-15-2016, 03:50 AM
30 is the new 20.

30 year olds are still hip nowadays, we're still "down" and with it.
...you weren't back in the 80s/90s already?