PDA

View Full Version : Cash or credit?

CyberCubed
09-14-2016, 12:58 AM
Do you pay for most things with cash or credit? I usually use my Citibank card when I'm on the street (I never leave home without it), but if I'm in a place where you buy food or lunch...I'll sometimes use cash if I have it.

I don't like carrying wads of cash on me. You never know if you'll get mugged in the mean streets of NYC. There's a lot of gangsters out there and a white boy like me is easy prey so I have to steer clear of them. So I usually carry a very light wallet. I only have one credit card and some greenbacks.

Do you use plastic, or paper? Same deal.

Prowler
09-14-2016, 01:05 AM
Depends on how much something costs. I'm not gonna withdraw cash to pay for a full priced video game or for an electronic appliance.

Plenty of places here still don't accept debit/credit cards or don't accept them for purchases lower than a certain amount. If I have lunch at a tavern it's possible they don't accept cards, or if I go to a café to have an espresso and a pastry no way are they gonna accept cards. They'd look at me with the "is this a joke?" look.

In some countries cash is still king while in others people use cards for everything. heard that in Scandinavia you can even use debit/credit cards to buy a pack of chewing gum. I know this Norwegian dude who claims to have not carried cash in several years now. He's probably hyperbolising, but you get the idea.

CyberCubed
09-14-2016, 01:11 AM
I forgot you live in Europe. I don't know how things are done in the foreign lands, but here in the good 'ol U.S. of A., we mostly used credit cards but also cash when we need to.

I notice a lot of older folk use cash mostly.

Commenter 42
09-14-2016, 01:14 AM
Always cash.

Prowler
09-14-2016, 01:18 AM
It depends on the country. Like I've said, according to some of my online contacts, in Norway and Sweden debit/credit cards are king. In my country carrying cash is still common. Several cafés and taverns still don't accept cards. I think it's because in certain countries, businesses pay higher taxes for letting their clients/customers pay with cards.

This supermarket chain didn't accept cards for shopping under 20 euro. God it was such a pain. Now they accept cards normal for any sum. No wonder they were losing customers.

ToTheNines
09-14-2016, 01:43 AM
I normally barter.

Candy Kappa
09-14-2016, 02:06 AM
Depends on how much something costs. I'm not gonna withdraw cash to pay for a full priced video game or for an electronic appliance.

Plenty of places here still don't accept debit/credit cards or don't accept them for purchases lower than a certain amount. If I have lunch at a tavern it's possible they don't accept cards, or if I go to a café to have an espresso and a pastry no way are they gonna accept cards. They'd look at me with the "is this a joke?" look.

In some countries cash is still king while in others people use cards for everything. heard that in Scandinavia you can even use debit/credit cards to buy a pack of chewing gum. I know this Norwegian dude who claims to have not carried cash in several years now. He's probably hyperbolising, but you get the idea.

That's probably not hyperbole. Every respectable store, dining place have a card machine in Norway. I'm amazed that there exists places especially food service places that don't have a card machine, that's... Just weird.

A lot of people rarely use physical cash in Norway.

Even in church they have card machines cause people rarely carry cash, and during Yule time the Salvation Army also have card machines for donations.

Mayhem
09-14-2016, 03:29 AM
I hate people using cards for small amounts, I use cash instead. Having said that, it's a lot better now you can tap and pay on devices, instead of having to go through the entire old rigmarole, so you don't get caught up nearly as long as before.

Prowler
09-14-2016, 03:33 AM
I hate people using cards for small amounts, I use cash instead. Having said that, it's a lot better now you can tap and pay on devices, instead of having to go through the entire old rigmarole, so you don't get caught up nearly as long as before.
Yeah the idea of paying for a pack of gums or for a cup of coffee with a card really blows my mind. :lol:

I tend to check out in the devices when I go to larger supermarkets than with cashiers.

Cure
09-14-2016, 08:02 AM
Credit. I never have cash on me.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-14-2016, 08:20 AM
Gold-pressed latinum.

ssjup81
09-14-2016, 08:43 AM
The real question should be debit or credit.:P

Back home, I generally used debit. I would only use credit for a big purchase...like the two tempurpedic (sp?) beds I bought years ago.

Over here, I try to use cash because of how the Japanese credit card system is set up. There is no minimum payment system.

Andrew NDB
09-14-2016, 09:59 AM
I never carry cash, ever.

plastroncafe
09-14-2016, 10:42 AM
Gold-pressed latinum.

The only standard worth having.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-14-2016, 11:42 AM
The only standard worth having.

Rule of Acquisition #75: "Home is where the heart is, but the stars are made of latinum."

CyberCubed
09-14-2016, 11:48 AM
People really never carry cash at all? Not even a few singles? I mean you never know if you need a $1 bill for something. I always have a few singles.

plastroncafe
09-14-2016, 11:50 AM
Rule of Acquisition #75: "Home is where the heart is, but the stars are made of latinum."

This is why you're my favorite.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-14-2016, 12:05 PM
This is why you're my favorite.

Rule of Acquisition #21: "Never place friendship above profit."

Rule of Acquisition #284: "Deep down, everyone's a Ferengi."

CyberCubed
09-14-2016, 12:11 PM
Gold-pressed latinum.

https://blog.adafruit.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/quark_600.jpg

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-14-2016, 12:11 PM
https://blog.adafruit.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/quark_600.jpg

Rule of Acquisition #22: "A wise man can hear profit in the wind."

snake
09-14-2016, 12:56 PM
Straight cash homie

myconius
09-14-2016, 01:14 PM
depends on where you are and what you are shopping for?

flee market - cash

corporate owned market - credit (there's usually bonus reward points)

TMNT_Guy
09-14-2016, 01:17 PM
I only use my debit card for online purchases/payments, for everything else I use cash. I don't even own any checks. I don't have any credit cards because I don't feel comfortable buying something unless I know I have the money.

My Mom and step-Dad are the opposite. Their always literally "nickel and diming" me over tolls, delivery tips, etc. My bio-Dad is more like me.

plastroncafe
09-14-2016, 01:35 PM
I went sans credit card until my mid 20s, which means that unlike a lot of people I knew I had no credit card debt to worry about and could focus all my extra money on my student loans.

The downside is that when it came time for me to sign my first lease for my first apartment....I had to have my parents co-sign because I had no credit history of my own to speak of.

Highly recommend everyone get at least one. Even if you never intend on using one, and just keep it somewhere safe in your house, they're good to have. Especially in an emergency, or when there's a limit to how much you can access via debit card.

Powder
09-14-2016, 01:50 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8b/Rupees_zelda.svg/450px-Rupees_zelda.svg.png

Prowler
09-14-2016, 02:35 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8b/Rupees_zelda.svg/450px-Rupees_zelda.svg.png
India and Mauritius have rupees as their currencies. I was so excited when I heard this when I was a kid... and so disappointed when I found out they were nothing like the ones in Zelda.

IndigoErth
09-14-2016, 03:49 PM
Debit. I rarely have cash any more, just find it easier and makes more sense to me that any loose change and other small amounts of money just stay in the bank where it can add up with the rest rather than just sitting around unused for too long.

When I do have cash it isn't usually much, typically left over from gift money and then it sits in my wallet for too long because most times I buy things that isn't enough to cover it and just end up using my card.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-14-2016, 09:00 PM
Both. It really depends on what I am buying or paying for.

Cure
09-14-2016, 09:07 PM
A quick way for me to know if a place is worth ****ing with or not is if they only take cash. If that's the case, I'm out the door.

CyberCubed
09-14-2016, 09:36 PM
I always have some greenbacks. If I buy a bagel for $1 or so at the shop at lunchtime I look like a fool handing in my debit card for such little price.

I don't need to charge a $1.50 bagel with cream cheese to my debit card.

Zak The Neutrino
09-15-2016, 08:23 AM
Rarely ever carry cash. The only time I have cash is when I go to one of my sons or nephews sporting events as the concessions don't take cards.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-15-2016, 12:22 PM
A quick way for me to know if a place is worth ****ing with or not is if they only take cash. If that's the case, I'm out the door.

Wow. You must miss out on a lot of great little out of the way places that way. When I go to Ren-faires or flea markets I ALWAYS carry some cash because some of the vendors don't have the readers for credit cards. Or in some cases not even the old-fashioned hard readers (the ones that make a carbon copy of the card info). I've found some amazing deals in places where there is a cash-only policy simply because the owner has no resources to deal with anything else. Not as common to see as it used to be, but a lot of older craftsmen still don't use cards.

Cure
09-15-2016, 12:52 PM
Haha, please. Like I would go to a flea market or renaissance fair.

ABrown
09-15-2016, 01:35 PM
I like to carry enough cash so that I can pay for something that's less than $20 with cash. Typically if I'm buying something that's over $20, I'll use my debit card. That's not to say that I won't ever pay for something more than $20 with cash, or pay for something less than $20 with my debit card. It's just what I try to do.

ProactiveMan
09-16-2016, 09:19 AM
I went sans credit card until my mid 20s, which means that unlike a lot of people I knew I had no credit card debt to worry about and could focus all my extra money on my student loans.

The downside is that when it came time for me to sign my first lease for my first apartment....I had to have my parents co-sign because I had no credit history of my own to speak of.

Highly recommend everyone get at least one. Even if you never intend on using one, and just keep it somewhere safe in your house, they're good to have. Especially in an emergency, or when there's a limit to how much you can access via debit card.

I didn't have a credit card until last year and I second your recommendation. Just make sure to pay the balance on time. I was thinking of buying a place, but without a credit history the bank didn't really want to lend me money. It's a little counter intuitive considering that they also view credit as a liability that limits the amount you can borrow.

plastroncafe
09-16-2016, 10:32 AM
I didn't have a credit card until last year and I second your recommendation. Just make sure to pay the balance on time. I was thinking of buying a place, but without a credit history the bank didn't really want to lend me money. It's a little counter intuitive considering that they also view credit as a liability that limits the amount you can borrow.

There is nothing more mystical and confusing than the entire racket that is one's Credit Score.

You need the potential for debt to have good credit, but not too much potential for debt, because then that's bad credit.

And every time someone checks your credit rating, it runs the chance of going down.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-16-2016, 10:34 AM
There is nothing more mystical and confusing than the entire racket that is one's Credit Score.

You need the potential for debt to have good credit, but not too much potential for debt, because then that's bad credit.

And every time someone checks your credit rating, it runs the chance of going down.

Somebody somewhere has to be making money off "credit scores." Otherwise, why so much BS and nonsense?

plastroncafe
09-16-2016, 10:41 AM
Somebody somewhere has to be making money off "credit scores." Otherwise, why so much BS and nonsense?

http://i.imgur.com/uyplFbd.png

Andrew NDB
09-16-2016, 10:45 AM

That's the biggest bunch of bullsh*t right there. So, so stupid.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-16-2016, 10:50 AM
That's the biggest bunch of bullsh*t right there. So, so stupid.

It's like Schrodinger's cat, except each time you open the box to take a peek, you increase the odds that little Muffinpaws is DEAD.

plastroncafe
09-16-2016, 10:52 AM
Or is so pissed off that it's going to leap from the box, claw your eyes out, and leave you lying there in your own blood.

I had a bad experience trying to purchase a condo this one time.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-16-2016, 11:05 AM
Or is so pissed off that it's going to leap from the box, claw your eyes out, and leave you lying there in your own blood.

I had a bad experience trying to purchase a condo this one time.

Damn, Muffinpaws. TAKE IT DOWN A LEVEL!!! :teek:

plastroncafe
09-16-2016, 11:06 AM
Damn, Muffinpaws. TAKE IT DOWN A LEVEL!!! :teek:

Too much salt?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-16-2016, 11:12 AM
Too much salt?

Too much blood! So much blood... everywhere... :tlol:

But no, never enough salt. Credit scores suck.

Candy Kappa
09-16-2016, 12:26 PM
Glad that's not how it works in Norway. Never owned a credit card and I got myself a mortgage... yay.

plastroncafe
09-16-2016, 01:01 PM
I don't know that it's strictly a credit card thing here in the states either. That one can build credit by paying back any sort of incurred debt, be it utility bills or student loans, what have you.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-16-2016, 01:42 PM
Haha, please. Like I would go to a flea market or renaissance fair.

A shame. Some flea markets have old toys or collectibles for sale at incredible deals. I've found perfume or other items really cheap too. Those sais I got recently? Flea market find. Along with some other really nice weapons in the same shop. You just have to poke around to find some really cool stuff- butvmany of them don't take cards. Heck some don't even have electricity since they are generally outdoors under tents or in small portable booths.

Cure
09-16-2016, 01:47 PM
Haha, please. You seem to think I'm interested in the same things as you.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-16-2016, 01:52 PM

Says the guy on a Ninja Turtles geek forum to the woman on a Ninja Turtles geek forum.

plastroncafe
09-16-2016, 01:55 PM
Shhh, there can't be grandstanding if you go and point out the playing field is level.

Zak The Neutrino
09-16-2016, 02:02 PM
The stupidest thing is that a mortgage is the biggest credit booster of them all but you need great credit to get one.

My credit was always the lower end of good for the most part. I had asked my credit union a few times why I wasn't up high. They said it was because I purchased cars and got rid of them so fast. So because I traded in and sold too often the loans didn't show history long enough to count. So don't pay off your loans early or anything. Anyways a year and a half after my mortgage I shot up to the super high status.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-16-2016, 02:10 PM

You mean like old TMNT stuff? These places have something to interest just abou everyone. I take it you've never actually BEEN to one. As for the Ren faires, I guess it depends on whether you like great food, well-made leather clothing, fun shows, or swords that any ninja turtle would be proud of. Among other things. You can buy turkey legs as big as your forearm- but some vendors are cash only. Same goes for local entrepenuers at street faires and carnivals. A lot of them are still cash only too. You don't go to any local festival events? (There is a swap meet here in my town right now in fact. A lot of buying and selling goes on strictly on a for cash basis because noone wants to bother with electronic gadgets to take cards when they can easily be broken. )

Cure
09-16-2016, 02:14 PM
Haha, please. You seem to think you're ever gonna convince me.

Prowler
09-16-2016, 02:16 PM
Never been to a flea market myself. Those places seem kind of shady, anyway.

snake
09-16-2016, 02:19 PM
I went to one. It was sh*tty. Not even any good toy deals like I was hoping for.

Zak The Neutrino
09-16-2016, 02:22 PM
I went to one. It was sh*tty. Not even any good toy deals like I was hoping for.

I've learned with flea markets you will probably only score something good maybe 1 out of every 10 times you go. Some people are ok with wasting their time continuing to go for that one great haul.

Prowler
09-16-2016, 02:24 PM
Retrogaming collectors tend to go to flea markets. From what they've told me, you gotta be careful with you deal with since some sell games in poor conditions or just sell their best stuff to known re-sellers.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-16-2016, 02:31 PM
Haha, please. You seem to think you're ever gonna convince me.

Why, you afraid you might actually enjoy a new experience or something? Seriously, what is it you have against places that only take cash? And what happens when the card machines are down someplace you go to regularly? Why limit your options that way? Really- Im curious now.

Never been to a flea market myself. Those places seem kind of shady, anyway.

Not really. Mostly it is ordinary folk just trying to make a little extra money by making or selling something. Especially crafts and home-made goods. I found a bath and herbal shop that has the most AMAZING massage oils. All natural too. Or a leather worker whose jackets and skirts look and feel awesome. You just have to know what to look for. Antiques and comic books too. Basically almost anything. I'm always up for finding great little out of the way places that have good deals. Rugs, vintage clothes- you never know what you will find. Ive seen everything from handmade furniture to license plates from every state. It is kund of fun just to explire them and see what you run across. Dont even have to buy anything. Plus there are food carts everywhere. Hot dogs, kettle corn, cotton candy or baked potatoes..... They are just plain fun.

Cure
09-16-2016, 03:07 PM
Haha, please. Like I would satisfy your curiosity.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-16-2016, 03:33 PM
So testy today! Sounds like someone woke up in a bad mood today. I can relate though, but maybe you could try another response? Getting a bit repetitive pal. Thought you were more original than that. So is this your new catchphrase? Needs a little work.....

Cure
09-16-2016, 03:57 PM
Haha, please. You seem to think I'm taking any of this seriously.

plastroncafe
09-16-2016, 04:03 PM
http://www.thetick.ws/images/sarcastro.jpg

MsMarvelDuckie
09-16-2016, 04:20 PM
So nonresponse to honest discourse is your new schtick. Got it. Also, so disappointing. Was at least hoping to hear some kind of explanation for your aversion to hard cash. Might have been interesting. Oh well.

On a related note, I personally think the idea of a completely cashless society (ie everyone uses credit and nothing else) is a bad one. "Real" money has been around for almost as long as people have had economic trade. Credit has the inherent dangers of being easily "erased"(as it is literally just numbers in a computer), not to mention when electric grids go down, many places are no longer even capable of taking payment at all, much less credit. I see it fairly often- the computers go down, and a store is forced to turn away customers because there is no way to take orders or for patrons to pay for them. Very few can still take one by hand, and fewer still are able to calculate the price including the tax. Folks who only have a card on them end up not being able to pay, which is embarrassing and wastes food and time.

Speaking of paying, another issue I see a lot is cards being declined because people mistakenly believe they have more money available than they do. What many don't even realize is that even if they just put money in their account, it often isn't available for use until the next business day. Then they end up with the embarrassment on credit decline or even overdraw charges. And it's usually from people who don't carry cash, because they auromatically assume the money is there or that there is more than there really is. Sad fact, but just because it is there NOW, doesn't mean it will be there when a transaction actually goes through. Some can take a day or more, and if one spends too much in the interim, it might end up declined or overdrawn when the transaction is finally completed. Oops.

Candy Kappa
09-16-2016, 04:31 PM
That's odd, the local private owned store I work in have emergency power should the electricity go out, giving ample time for customers to pay for their stuff cash or card before exiting. It's mandatory to have.

Even when the card machine connection is broken, it'll still accept cards with signature on receipt.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-16-2016, 04:51 PM
Not where I live. If the power goes out, EVERYTHING goes down- computers, credit machines, lights, grill and other food cooking equipment- it has happened a couple of times. Even if just the computers and credit machines go down, any pending orders can't be accessed or completed. They stay stuck in the system until everything comes back up. I've had to deal with it a few times early in the morning when I went in, and the system was down so people couldn't pay for their orders that were already taken, (which meant that we could only take cash, as there was no way to verify a credit purchase) and no new ones could be made unless everything was done by hand- and entered in later once it came back on. It is a pain in the rump.

plastroncafe
09-16-2016, 10:31 PM
I have to admit I get quite a kick out of places that have to close when the electricity goes out because none of their cashiers know how to make change without a computer to do the math for them.

Katie
09-17-2016, 07:13 AM
When I was in college, I worked at a mom and pop retail pet store and we had a big power outage. I was the only one who could run the register because none of the other employeee could figure out how to add tax to the transaction or make change. I was amazed at the...ignorance....but they were career minimum wage folks and spent most of their time at work smoking weed out by the dumpsters or hooking up in the office.

I actually think that day was the one that pushed me to take school seriously and GTFO out of retail and minimum wage hell. I didn't want people to see me how I saw those coworkers that day.

plastroncafe
09-17-2016, 08:34 AM
Ooh I hadn't considered the tax thing and how it would quasi complicate matters. My first job was working for my grandfather in his bakery, and foods here aren't taxed so long as they're not "prepared."

So we really only had to worry about making change and counting it back to customers. Seriously, you do NOT just give a Sicilian granny her change in one handful. You have to count that back bill by bill, or they get testy.

Hell hath no fury like a testy Sicilian Granny.

Candy Kappa
09-17-2016, 08:54 AM
What's the deal with not including tax in the final price tag, that's stupid.

Katie
09-17-2016, 09:00 AM
That's just how it's done in The U.S. I agree it would be easier to just include it on the price tag, but oh well. We're used to it.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-17-2016, 10:48 AM
Yeah I'm one of the few where I work who can add the tax too. One of the reasons they "like" me so much is that I am capable of running just about the whole store on my own- even when the system goes down. It is probably why they have me as the opening crew person.

ProactiveMan
09-25-2016, 02:48 AM
That's just how it's done in The U.S. I agree it would be easier to just include it on the price tag, but oh well. We're used to it.

I guess since your sales tax varies so much from state to state, it would be hard to advertise prices with tax included.

Australia used to have a complicated sales tax system, but it was the same country wide for the most part so tax was included in the sticker price. The sales receipt would show the pre-tax cost, so you could work out how much tax you were paying if you were claiming any back for whatever reason. Now we have a 10% Goods and Services Tax across the board, so it's pretty easy.

Shark_Blade
09-25-2016, 04:06 AM
Prefer cash I hate credit.

justforapic
11-01-2016, 10:16 PM
I don't care, just whatever I have in my wallet. Pay Pal is the best online.

Lisardo
12-08-2016, 01:53 PM
Mostly I use my debit card, cuz a lot of the times I don't have cash on me and it's a pain in the butt to go get it from the ATM/bank. Also I always find myself having to give people I'm hanging out with all my cash I had because if we're eating dinner out, or going to a movie, or something, and I need to give them my share, well....there goes all my cash. I usually prefer to have about $20-$40 in my wallet tho, for smaller purchases.