PDA

View Full Version : TMNT #62 Preview & Discussion

ChosenOne
09-16-2016, 02:07 PM
Preview here (http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/exclusive-preview-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-62/1100-156050/).

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-16-2016, 02:15 PM
I totally predicted it. This is indeed Casey's mission from Splinter.

Totally BOSS. :tcool:

ProphetofGanja
09-16-2016, 02:28 PM
Yeah, Casey seems to finally be getting his mojo back

CyberCubed
09-16-2016, 02:38 PM
Casey's fights are always fun. Hope there's not too much exposition in this issue like the previous and they cut to the main plot faster.

Utrommaniac
09-16-2016, 03:50 PM
I have a pretty good feeling that Splinter's mission for Casey is going to bite him in the tail.

Also, I'm highly amused by the fact that Harold has been in contact with Ma'riell. Considering that he never interacted with Krang, she'd be his first alien contact. And I'm just imagining him hitting the Goofy Juice pretty hard after their first conversation and wondering where his life is going for a blob with legs to dump a broken robot on him :lol: .

2K3
09-16-2016, 04:30 PM
I totally feel April's migraine; so many problems piling up!

And JEEZ; Hun's not gonna be happy when he gets back...

PApagreg
09-16-2016, 04:47 PM
Huh almost forget what a badass Casey looks like

Commenter 42
09-16-2016, 05:15 PM
When does Santolouco come back?

ToTheNines
09-16-2016, 05:17 PM
#66 in January, I think.

Commenter 42
09-16-2016, 05:24 PM
#66 in January, I think.

Cool. I'll take this off the pull list 'til then.

CyberCubed
09-16-2016, 11:34 PM
I'm glad to see Leatherhead mentioned in this issue, I hope he appears again soon and isn't just absent for another 10+ or whatever issues. We saw too little of IDW's Leatherhead and I crave more.

Commenter 42
09-16-2016, 11:37 PM
They did a great job with him. Solid design and writing.

Utrommaniac
09-17-2016, 01:28 AM
This Leatherhead does make me realize that under Nick direction, his relationship with the Utroms is spun in the opposite direction of the original. And yet now matter what, something about them winds him up.

It's either trauma from separation or trauma from torture. And the last Leatherhead to have the "trauma from separation" was the 4Kids. Who, come to think of it, never seemed to have been reunited with them.

I find the 180 quite funny :lol:

neatoman
09-17-2016, 03:08 AM
This Leatherhead does make me realize that under Nick direction, his relationship with the Utroms is spun in the opposite direction of the original. And yet now matter what, something about them winds him up.

It's either trauma from separation or trauma from torture. And the last Leatherhead to have the "trauma from separation" was the 4Kids. Who, come to think of it, never seemed to have been reunited with them.

I find the 180 quite funny :lol:

It might be a reference to that issue of Tales where Utrom revolutionaries tried to clone him for an army.

Utrommaniac
09-17-2016, 04:59 AM
That experience didn't affect his perception of the Utroms as a whole, though. He may have decided to remain on Earth instead of going to their homeworld like he always wanted, but it didn't affect how he felt about the ones that took him in. He still loved them, but he (and the turtles) had their perception of how far their "peacefulness" extended beyond to immorality.

The Nick and IDW Leatherheads have known nothing but torment from Utroms - or just a single one. Nick Leatherhead seemed to tolerate Bishop to an extent and I think that might be the start of a recovery path for him. IDW Leatherhead is probably hopeless for reconciliation with them, since he's more perceptive and aware with his violence against them and is probably the biggest "glass half empty guy" of all the Leatherheads. Unless Xeinos manages to slip into the story with an olive branch.

ToTheNines
09-17-2016, 07:20 AM
Cool. I'll take this off the pull list 'til then.

Very sorry. Santolouco actually comes back for #65 in December, Campbell is doing #66 in January, then Santolouco returns for real.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-20-2016, 06:25 PM
Advance review of #62... sounds intriguing! Can't wait!

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2016/09/20/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-62-review/

The Happy One
09-20-2016, 06:38 PM
Intriguing indeed...

Splinter being a douche has managed to annoy, intrigue and entertain me so I'll have to see where it goes.

Happpy to hear Mikey may be comin back. It feels so off without him here

Also looking foward to this villain!!!

Editor's Note Comics
09-20-2016, 06:42 PM
Overall it's a good issue. New villain looks interesting. The big downside to the issue is it feels like it's setting up for more stuff to come down the line, and a lot of recent issues have had that same vibe recently.

MikeandRaph87
09-20-2016, 06:48 PM
Intriguing indeed...

Splinter being a douche has managed to annoy, intrigue and entertain me so I'll have to see where it goes.

Happpy to hear Mikey may be comin back. It feels so off without him here

Also looking foward to this villain!!!

Mike coming back or the others walking away? Option A) Splinter goes against his rule of Shredder is the only one that is killable while maintaining their code. B.) Jenika dies due to said rule.

Utrommaniac
09-20-2016, 11:29 PM
I for one welcome the shift in Michelangelo leaving the team. Especially after Raphael leaving the team so often in other versions to the point that the 2012 show even had to make a joke about it in the most recent episode.

Not only that, but I think Michelangelo's reason for leaving is a little more reasonable than most of Raphael's, at least from a point of view of ethics.

I also look forward to Splinter's little slip in his own ethical and moral code; it should have been inevitable early on given his earlier tunnel vision with the "Shredder>Technodrome" situation that partly caused Donatello's near death. Come to think of it, tunnel vision is a problem that Splinter seems to have quite a lot.

Now that I've read it, I can say two things

Great chat between Raphael and Michelangelo, with hugs
SHE finally shows herself at last!
Seems like Honeycutt really isn't being repaired by Harold after all.

I am really digging Libby, and I can really see why Harold felt so betrayed by her disappearance - which I am going to call an "abduction" at this point with Darius in play. She has his type of devil-may-care attitude and really seems to care about him.

And I love her hair.

However, I am just not feeling Dun's motivation and backstory.

Krang lost everything he ever knew because of his father, and is taking drastic measures to preserve what little scraps are left.

Shredder is pushing Voldemort levels of fearing death and loss of power; doesn't realize he's been played like a puppet by a witch.

Old Hob was an innocent victim in a young boy's lack of focus to do his chores and was thrown out because of it. The following trauma lead to injury, mutation, and torture, thus to a distrust and even hatred of humanity.

Dun has a body issue that somehow connects him to wanting to control New York City??? I mean, it's certainly a more human issue, but just not as interesting as what the others had going on. I'm with Libby on his backstory. Off to watch paint dry. He's not really selling me on his backstory.

I have a feeling we'll find out what happened to the kid he won the science fair with, though.

The Happy One
09-21-2016, 09:10 AM
Mike coming back or the others walking away? Option A) Splinter goes against his rule of Shredder is the only one that is killable while maintaining their code. B.) Jenika dies due to said rule.

Actually the idea of them all walking away is pretty cool:D

And those options are quite possible with the way this story is going

MikeandRaph87
09-21-2016, 08:14 PM
I was thinking Raphael left with Angel already. Still, a great character moment. Its nice seeing my two favorites interact and have a moment. Raphael has a point.

Splinter set Harold up as bait for the Street Phantoms,huh? Splinter is getting to be unlikable in his approach. I am sticking with my above theory even if it was Splinter attempting to end them opposed to the Street Phantom's rising up to challenge Splinter.

So Harold's greedy female busines partner was a nobody. At least that is way she seems. Tending to connect established to what is coming Lady Null seemed to be it.

It appears that Darius Dunn and Harold Llija(sp?) befriended each other in high school.

Fugitoid will be repaired just like Metalhead. The characters are just taken off the field for a little while so the focus can be narrowed on others and brought back when the time is right. Fugitoid will likely come first and not taken away for a shorter period than Metalhead Mach II with Fugi being a living soul within the mechanical body while Metalhead is just a robot.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-21-2016, 08:28 PM
Called it. Harold's former flame and business partner is a new character.

MikeandRaph87
09-21-2016, 08:32 PM
Called it. Harold's former flame and business partner is a new character.

Harold did have a connection to another character just not the one we expected, being Darius's high school friend opposed to possible business partner of Lady Null.

Any other thoughts? I am particularly interested in your thoughts on character direction.

ChosenOne
09-21-2016, 09:12 PM
The amount of unease Splinter's approach is causing Leo and Donnie in that last scene is almost palpable. I can't wait to see Mikey's reaction when he goes back to the Foot HQ and finds out that Splinter set up the "asset" to be kidnapped and is now preparing to wipe out the Street Phantoms.

The board is set, the implications are clear. Don't think this will end well for the family.

I do love how much Dun is IDW TMNT's Kingpin expy, though. Just as welcome and needed as a Magneto-ish Old Hob.

Utrommaniac
09-21-2016, 09:23 PM
It appears that Darius Dunn and Harold Llija(sp?) befriended each other in high school.

I don't think that was Harold. The hair is too curly and dark, and the face is too round.

CyberCubed
09-22-2016, 01:52 AM
Part of me wonders if Splinter was intentionally written out of character because of something Kitsune did? I dunno, but its rather obvious he was written in such a way that Don and Leo found it odd, plus ending the issue with, "We destroy the Street Phantoms" is an intentional, "Whaaaa?" moment. Given the same issue had Mikey being persuaded to rejoin the family, its obvious set-up for something. Is Splinter being controlled by the Pantheon without him knowing it? By Rat King, maybe?

As for Darius Dun....eh. He sort of feels like a combination of Shredder, Krang, Baxter, and Hun all rolled up into one character. Doesn't help he's yet another "business man" which is what the other 3 also felt like in IDW so far.

Also Woody continues to exist for 1 page every few issues....just because...

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-22-2016, 08:44 AM
I was busy finishing "The Boys" yesterday and only skimmed this issue. Now after two thorough reads of #62...

I'd already expressed my thrill at Casey moving in to replace Hun as leader of the Purple Dragons at Splinter's behest. This is badass, and I can't wait to see where it goes and what the eventual ramifications will be for everyone involved: Casey, Splinter, the Turtles, Hun, April...

The Mike/Raph scene was amazing. Their big bro/little bro dynamic is all too often wanting, but this was what we needed. Raph's been alone before, and he's a realist. Mikey needed some time to get his head clear, but now he's being obstinate and part of the problem. The Gauntlet ended in the best outcome possible; shades of gray, little turtle.

Seems like I'm the only one impressed by Darius Dun. The big badass who'd rather be an intellectual but knows he can't? I've never seen that particular type of character before, and I find it very intriguing. I'd agree that he is the "TMNT Kingpin" and I hope he sticks around. Loved his story; also loved the Inventor's reaction to it, leading to my next point...

Dr. Libby Meitner, original character. She seems... feisty. I can see her and Harold as a bickering item. I'm very curious to find out how long she's been working for Dun, and if that in any way contributed to her betrayal of Harold.

My only complaint is that the trifecta of Dun/Harold/Libby feels very repetitive compared to Jillian/Lindsey/Null. I do hope something will happen to more clearly differentiate between these two situations.

And finally... Splinter. Damn, Splinter, you're definitely under some influence. Very out of character, and very out of the blue for what we've previously seen. Sending Casey to take over the Purple Dragons, setting up Harold as bait... this is worrisome. And this absolutely guarantees all four Turtles leaving the Foot. It's a given now. When Splinter called Leo "Chunin" instead of by name... daaaaaamn. Splinter is sounding way too much like Oroku Saki. And that's awesome. Can't WAIT to see where this goes!!!

Allio
09-22-2016, 10:12 AM
But is it really out of character? Prior to him leaving the foot clan, he was just like Saki a cold assassin. After what Saki did, and the promise he made to Teng to protect his sons. Guess what. He kept his promise and saki no longer hinders him, he has no real reason to hold back.

This isn't Splinter the father we are seeing; proud member of the foot

This is Yoshi, the foot assassin

This might explain mikey's disapproval; he subconsciencly remembers his fathers bloodlust a lifetime ago, it scared him then and now

Utrommaniac
09-22-2016, 10:15 AM
I'm in agreement that Splinter is probably under Kitsune's influence in some way or another. Just how - or why - I'm not entirely sure, but his decision making has been gotten more and more violent ever since she sped off with Saki's body.

Allio does make a pretty good point, though. We've seem Hamato Yoshi displaying that type of behavior before; it's just coming back after a long hibernation.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-22-2016, 10:28 AM
But is it really out of character? Prior to him leaving the foot clan, he was just like Saki a cold assassin. After what Saki did, and the promise he made to Teng to protect his sons. Guess what. He kept his promise and saki no longer hinders him, he has no real reason to hold back.

This isn't Splinter the father we are seeing; proud member of the foot. This is Yoshi, the foot assassin.

Allio does make a pretty good point, though. We've seem Hamato Yoshi displaying that type of behavior before; it's just coming back after a long hibernation.

I disagree. We've never seen Hamato Yoshi as cold previously in IDW; he has been angry, broken, despairing, and warm, but he's never been cold or calculating like Saki. Not until this issue.

CyberCubed
09-22-2016, 11:33 AM
Yeah, Splinter was intentionally written out of character and Leo and Don noticed it too. If it isn't just Splinter going senile, then he might be under control of The Rat King or Kitsune. Splinter has never wanted excessive violence, so something is up.

Also, I kind wish they didn't build up the mystery of "The Inventor" for like...10 issues or whatever it was. Wasn't she first mentioned as early as issue 52, I think? If it was just some standard woman, she should have just been shown early. Kind of felt weird that the mysterious "The Inventor" ....is just some regular middle age woman. :P

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-22-2016, 11:38 AM
Yeah, Splinter was intentionally written out of character and Leo and Don noticed it too. If it isn't just Splinter going senile, then he might be under control of The Rat King or Kitsune. Splinter has never wanted excessive violence, so something is up.

Also, I kind wish they didn't build up the mystery of "The Inventor" for like...10 issues or whatever it was. Wasn't she first mentioned as early as issue 52, I think? If it was just some standard woman, she should have just been shown early. Kind of felt weird that the mysterious "The Inventor" ....is just some regular middle age woman. :P

Splinter is absolutely under the influence of someone in the Pantheon. Either explicitly under influence, or simply overreacting to a perceived threat because he fears further Pantheon action. So it's out of character, but it can make sense if he's even more worried about the Pantheon now that he has seen Kitsune turn even his own sons against him.

Also... The Inventor doesn't bother me. Yeah, I expected more, but the story arc isn't over yet. Who knows what surprises might be coming? I'm okay with it even if she is just plain ordinary new Dr. Meitner.

CyberCubed
09-22-2016, 11:48 AM
Also... The Inventor doesn't bother me. Yeah, I expected more, but the story arc isn't over yet. Who knows what surprises might be coming? I'm okay with it even if she is just plain ordinary new Dr. Meitner.

She literally looks like one of my aunts. She looks like a family member to me, that's what feels so weird. :lol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-22-2016, 12:00 PM
She literally looks like one of my aunts. She looks like a family member to me, that's what feels so weird. :lol:

How dare you insult a woman with multiple PhDs and a genius IQ like that? :tlol:

Allio
09-22-2016, 12:02 PM

There really wasn't any building up, they just established the character

ProphetofGanja
09-22-2016, 12:06 PM
Part of me wonders if Splinter was intentionally written out of character because of something Kitsune did? I dunno, but its rather obvious he was written in such a way that Don and Leo found it odd, plus ending the issue with, "We destroy the Street Phantoms" is an intentional, "Whaaaa?" moment. Given the same issue had Mikey being persuaded to rejoin the family, its obvious set-up for something. Is Splinter being controlled by the Pantheon without him knowing it? By Rat King, maybe?

As for Darius Dun....eh. He sort of feels like a combination of Shredder, Krang, Baxter, and Hun all rolled up into one character. Doesn't help he's yet another "business man" which is what the other 3 also felt like in IDW so far.

Also Woody continues to exist for 1 page every few issues....just because...

an immortal ninja warrior, an extradimensional alien warlord, a mad scientist chess geek, and a roid-raging recovering alcoholic gang leader, how are any of those reminiscent of the "businessman" archetype? I feel like Dun is the first to play that role in IDW, and it feels welcome. The Kingpin comparisons are good

And I have to agree with Woody, Mikey's pad is pretty bitchin' :lol:

This isn't Splinter the father we are seeing; proud member of the foot

This is Yoshi, the foot assassin

This might explain mikey's disapproval; he subconsciencly remembers his fathers bloodlust a lifetime ago, it scared him then and now

I agree that Splinter's actions here could be totally organic. He is a member of the Foot Clan. Just because he isn't as cruel and ruthless as Oroku Saki doesn't mean he isn't as cold and ruthless is as necessary to complete his clan's mission. He's still a ninja.

Candy Kappa
09-22-2016, 12:40 PM
I donno. If Splinter is under control or influence by someone, it'll feel like a cheap cop-out. Dude was a Foot member. Now that he's in control, lets see the colder side of Splinter.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-22-2016, 12:45 PM
I donno. If Splinter is under control or influence by someone, it'll feel like a cheap cop-out. Dude was a Foot member. Now that he's in control, lets see the colder side of Splinter.

Yeah, I think it's more "if the Pantheon is out there, I must protect my clan by any means necessary." Not so much Kitsune weaving spooky magic control stuff.

CyberCubed
09-22-2016, 01:07 PM
Splinter called Leonardo, "Chunin" instead of, "My son."

He's obviously not acting himself.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-22-2016, 01:11 PM
Splinter called Leonardo, "Chunin" instead of, "My son."

He's obviously not acting himself.

Or he's being overly stern and deliberately referring to his son's rank in order to remind him of Splinter's authority.

Either way, worrisome stuff. :tgrin:

CyberCubed
09-22-2016, 02:31 PM
I may be remembering wrong, but doesn't IDW Splinter dislike violence and only goes to it as a last resort? I remember Splinter lecturing Shredder about this back in ancient Japan, and Splinter warning the Turtles not to kill, etc.

Splinter outright wanting to destroy all the Street Phantoms, talking coldly to his sons, and instructing Casey to take over the Purple Dragons again...there's obviously something up. Rat King might be working his magic behind the scenes after Kitsune failed to control them in the previous issues. Remember we saw Rat King watching in a panel in that issue.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-22-2016, 02:45 PM
I may be remembering wrong, but doesn't IDW Splinter dislike violence and only goes to it as a last resort? I remember Splinter lecturing Shredder about this back in ancient Japan, and Splinter warning the Turtles not to kill, etc.

Splinter outright wanting to destroy all the Street Phantoms, talking coldly to his sons, and instructing Casey to take over the Purple Dragons again...there's obviously something up. Rat King might be working his magic behind the scenes after Kitsune failed to control them in the previous issues. Remember we saw Rat King watching in a panel in that issue.

Rat King also totally controlled Splinter in #36.

Allio
09-22-2016, 05:36 PM

That was because of his promise to his wife, which he broke to kill Saki...now there isn't anything to hold him back. He will do anything to protect what he has, and now he has the power to do so.

CyberCubed
09-22-2016, 09:40 PM
Jammerhead looks like a total cyborg in this design, he doesn't have his hair sticking out like in the cartoon. I hope the Street Phantoms don't literally get killed off, they're a fun alternate villain group and fill the role The Savate had in the first two years.

wpugh2424
09-22-2016, 10:19 PM
Just read this today
Pretty rad
I agree I felt splinter was off with his addressing of leo, wonder what kind of foreshadowing that is

Technogeek29
09-22-2016, 10:34 PM
Reminds me of Mirage Splinter with how militaristic he is acting.

myconius
09-22-2016, 11:24 PM
definitely one of my favorite issues in a good long while.

the exposition in April and Donatello's conversation felt a bit unnecessary, especially since we had so much of it in the last issue.

i did love Casey's opening scene, as well as the dialog between Mike and Raph.
i really felt like he was over-reacting (probably just immature naivety?) about time someone finally talked some sense into him.

the Splinter reveal at the end was pretty damn shocking!!!
i wasn't thrilled to see Splinter so ruthless, but i am really intrigued in where this all goes?

it's just good to see the Ninja Turtles take the center stage of their own series again.
i know i've said it before, but it was really frustrating when they felt like guest stars of their own series.

myconius
09-22-2016, 11:30 PM
one thing i forgot to mention is just HOW Much i LOVE the art!!!!!

it's SO cinematic!!!!!

the artist really has a great eye for drama, as well as a sense of form and shadows.

i know it's an artist interpretation thing, but i really feel April needs to look a bit more like April.
other than that everything else looks great!

Mexiun
09-23-2016, 06:24 AM
Splinter is acting really creepy in this issue, not sure if i like this side of him since i liked him being a father first and ninja second.
I know it's only a comic but whenever Splinter had screentime he always gave me this warm father-like feeling, and that is kinda gone now since this issue.

He did say "my son" to Donatello but he said "Chunin" to Leonardo for some reason.
Also he seemed kind of pissed off at Leonardo just for asking a question on why Jennika didn't tell him her duty... why be so mad at something so simple? He never got mad at his sons, not even at Raphael's rage.
Now he sounds exactly like the Shredder, especially with the whole "Time to wipe out the street phantoms!" that is something the Shredder would've said while being near his throne and watching over his footsoldiers, it's like a parellel which is pretty cool.

It's interesting, i hope he isn't becoming some bloodlusted ninja instead of the understanding, calm and intelligent father we've all known and loved for years.

Also i wonder what other Pantheon's we'll be seeing.

ToTheNines
09-23-2016, 10:59 AM
one thing i forgot to mention is just HOW Much i LOVE the art!!!!!

it's SO cinematic!!!!!

the artist really has a great eye for drama, as well as a sense of form and shadows.

i know it's an artist interpretation thing, but i really feel April needs to look a bit more like April.
other than that everything else looks great!

Watcher is a master. He and Ronda look amazing together. Loving their tone right now.

This issue definitely suffered from "written for the trade" syndrome, but was still enjoyable. The scene with Raph bringing Mikey back was really touching. Great dialogue.

I think the next 2 issues are gonna kick ass.

CyberCubed
09-23-2016, 12:21 PM
Splinter taking over the Foot Clan is definitely the most interesting part of this arc. I'm not too interested in Dun so far, or the woman and her connection with Harold.

I wouldn't have mind if it was just the Street Phantoms causing trouble on the streets as a rival gang like The Savate, and the Foot wanting to eliminate them.

Utrommaniac
09-23-2016, 12:54 PM
I just realized something.

What other father from this series do we know that started off somewhat decent (with some still very clear problems, mostly lying in his relationship with his sons), and then spun off the rail as he gained huge amounts of power, thus doing damage to those surrounding him in some way or another?

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o191/Bat-Snake/Screen%20Shot%202016-03-13%20at%201.22.38%20AM_zpsbfzfpvbs.png

It's probably not a deliberate parallel, but I can't help but see similarities.
Heck, I think there were even a few traits in common before Splinter took over the Foot Clan.

Yeah, Dun's not very exciting for me either; he'll have to do a little bit more to level himself up to the point of Shredder and Krang.
Given the future that they visit in Turtles in Time, he likely wouldn't have stood a chance against them - or even Baxter Stockman. He'll always be little more than a jock that wants to be a genius. And he really, really didn't stand a chance against Shredder from that perspective. He was probably mutated (I'd say...grizzly bear)

spookycookies
09-23-2016, 11:53 PM
Good issue, I loved the Casey double spread and the heart to heart in the lair. It's becoming very clear that there will likely be a split between the turtles and Splinter next year. Maybe they will do a mission off world while Splinter deals with the earthly matter of Kitsune and the Pantheon.

I don't believe that someone is controlling or warping Splinter at this time. His actions are all just the result of his new position at the head of the Foot Clan. I expect that he may have a better understanding of what the Shredder's journey was like and how easy it is to make life and death choices when everyone in the room basically has to answer to you.

I think when it's all said and done we will see Karai in charge of the Foot again and hopefully like in later Mirage, the Hamatos aren't a target of the next regime. So while I'm sure that things between Splinter and Sons are about to get pretty bad, the family is bound to come back together (probably Casey & April too for that matter.)

Utrommaniac
09-23-2016, 11:59 PM
It is for the best that Karai takes over. She's shown incredible initiative in reviving its old roots, and would likely have the most balanced head on her shoulders when all is said and done when she comes back. I hope Splinter even passes it over to her willingly and gladly, seeing what the power has done to him and his family.

spookycookies
09-24-2016, 12:27 AM
Yeah that really is all for the best. She is the reason the clan was revived into its traditional form. It should be hers.

But while we are on this crazy foot ride I am glad that we get to see this new dynamic and explore some stories that haven't been told yet before IDW.

Utrommaniac
09-24-2016, 12:37 AM
That does make me realize how bad Karai has it. And how huge a mess she'll have to clean up when/if she has the clan back in her power. The poor sod.

myconius
09-26-2016, 08:06 PM
Watcher is a master. He and Ronda look amazing together. Loving their tone right now.

This issue definitely suffered from "written for the trade" syndrome, but was still enjoyable. The scene with Raph bringing Mikey back was really touching. Great dialogue.

I think the next 2 issues are gonna kick ass.

the art really is gorgeous!! i REALLY hope we see more of Wachter on the series after this arc as well (or at least in TMNT Universe?)

i think most of the writing done after issue #50 tends to feel like a little piece of the bigger puzzle (intended for trade)
it's awesome for us long-time readers, but a casual reader just picking up a random issue isn't going to get what's going on, nor enjoy the layered story elements that've been built up.

i was really moved but the scene of Raph's speech to Mikey, Raph really did good at putting it all in perspective.

issue #63 just can't get here soon enough!!!!!

myconius
09-26-2016, 08:14 PM
Splinter is acting really creepy in this issue, not sure if i like this side of him since i liked him being a father first and ninja second.
I know it's only a comic but whenever Splinter had screentime he always gave me this warm father-like feeling, and that is kinda gone now since this issue.

He did say "my son" to Donatello but he said "Chunin" to Leonardo for some reason.
Also he seemed kind of pissed off at Leonardo just for asking a question on why Jennika didn't tell him her duty... why be so mad at something so simple? He never got mad at his sons, not even at Raphael's rage.
Now he sounds exactly like the Shredder, especially with the whole "Time to wipe out the street phantoms!" that is something the Shredder would've said while being near his throne and watching over his footsoldiers, it's like a parellel which is pretty cool.

It's interesting, i hope he isn't becoming some bloodlusted ninja instead of the understanding, calm and intelligent father we've all known and loved for years.

Also i wonder what other Pantheon's we'll be seeing.

aside from the speculated 'mind control' theory-

i wonder if all the attempts on Splinters life, with him getting knocked around, bonked, stabbed, etc... if this might be driving him to become more ruthless?

spookycookies
09-26-2016, 08:15 PM
the art really is gorgeous!! i REALLY hope we see more of Wachter on the series after this arc as well (or at least in TMNT Universe?)

i think most of the writing done after issue #50 tends to feel like a little piece of the bigger puzzle (intended for trade)
it's awesome for us long-time readers, but a casual reader just picking up a random issue isn't going to get what's going on, nor enjoy the layered story elements that've been built up.

i was really moved but the scene of Raph's speech to Mikey, Raph really did good at putting it all in perspective.

issue #63 just can't get here soon enough!!!!!

I'm thinking now that all of the original pieces have been laid out we can start doing some deeper stories in the numbered series and Universe seems to be tied in yet casually enough removed from the main line that newer fans will find fun stories there that aren't as heavily involved in the major plot.

myconius
09-26-2016, 09:41 PM
I'm thinking now that all of the original pieces have been laid out we can start doing some deeper stories in the numbered series and Universe seems to be tied in yet casually enough removed from the main line that newer fans will find fun stories there that aren't as heavily involved in the major plot.

just as long as we keep getting to spend more time with our main characters.
the series staggered a bit with the lack of a supporting supplemental comic series.

spookycookies
09-27-2016, 10:45 AM
just as long as we keep getting to spend more time with our main characters.
the series staggered a bit with the lack of a supporting supplemental comic series.

yeah I feel like this great big world IDW is forging is too big to spend only 20 pages in a month. I expect great things from universe.

CyberCubed
09-27-2016, 01:16 PM
Issue 51 onward basically introduced the current story arc going on the last 12 issues. Aside from some previous stuff like the Pantheon story still going, everything from #51 was new:

- Darius and the Street Phantoms
- Bishop and Darkwater monitoring the Turtles
- Leatherhead's debut and the Utroms awakening from statis
- Jennika's story

There's some old stuff carrying over like they had to get Kitsune out of the Foot Clan and we saw Hob and the Mutanimals working with Hun, but other than that there's a lot of new material.

PApagreg
09-27-2016, 01:39 PM
aside from the speculated 'mind control' theory-

i wonder if all the attempts on Splinters life, with him getting knocked around, bonked, stabbed, etc... if this might be driving him to become more ruthless?

I kinda hoped its this and not the whole mind control, I really love the idea that Splinter's experience is making him more pragmatic gives him a human erm rat feel to his character

DrSpengler
09-27-2016, 08:07 PM
Here's my belated summary and review of TMNT #62 at TMNT Entity. (http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2016/09/tmnt-idw-62.html)

Nice to see some story pick up after last month's issue. Casey's back in peak form and Wachter really went all out on that splash page and two-page spread. Loved it.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-27-2016, 08:21 PM
Here's my belated summary and review of TMNT #62 at TMNT Entity. (http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2016/09/tmnt-idw-62.html)

Nice to see some story pick up after last month's issue. Casey's back in peak form and Wachter really went all out on that splash page and two-page spread. Loved it.

"With Splinter taking over the Foot, we get to see him return to what he was like back in those days; days before his sons came into the picture. And itís the Turtles, his sons, whose POV weíre seeing this all from. They look at all this and think Splinterís acting out of character, but the reality is that this is the sort of stuff you have to do in order to run a group of assassins, and Splinter was always a member of the Foot Clan."

I think others have tried to say this, but it really clicked when you wrote it out.

If this is truly what's going on, I can't wait to see more of the rude awakening for the Turtles and where it goes.

myconius
09-27-2016, 08:23 PM
yeah I feel like this great big world IDW is forging is too big to spend only 20 pages in a month. I expect great things from universe.

Tmnt Universe is definitely the extra breathing room the series needed.
i don't even mind when a issue gets delayed. it just shows there's attention being payed to quality. :)

I kinda hoped its this and not the whole mind control, I really love the idea that Splinter's experience is making him more pragmatic gives him a human erm rat feel to his character

most definitely! and it feels more like the Hamato Yoshi we've seen in flashbacks. especially the Splinter micro-series and Issue #5.
he's not at all a bad man, but when pushed to his limits he definitely has a mean streak.
LOVE the shot of him in the issue 5 flashback scene when he dispatches one of Tang Shen's assassin's by impaling him with two blades, and lifting him off his feet.

spookycookies
09-27-2016, 09:29 PM
Yeah Splinter is just showing a side of him that we haven't seen in present day yet. Up until now everything he has done has been about defending his sons, now that his role in the foot clan has been restored he has to respond to that greater perspective of protecting the entire clan.

Him being mind controlled as an answer to his unusual behavior is too hand wavey for my tastes. I expect more from this book to be frank. When it comes to the Pantheon and their chess pieces (Leo, Shredder, Alopex etc.) I feel like the "game" is more about manipulating their positions and motivations.

(With Alopex being the exception... she's just straight up hijacked mentally. But then again I guess it isn't the first time we have seen Kitsune bend the "rules")

CyberCubed
09-27-2016, 09:30 PM
It depends. Will the Street Phantoms be literally killed? As in chopped up to pieces and Jammerhead's head put on a pike? If they're going to be slaughtered, then Splinter is going against everything he's taught the Turtles since the beginning of the series.

Technogeek29
09-27-2016, 09:50 PM
It depends. Will the Street Phantoms be literally killed? As in chopped up to pieces and Jammerhead's head put on a pike? If they're going to be slaughtered, then Splinter is going against everything he's taught the Turtles since the beginning of the series.

I was under the impression he taught them to defend themselves and how to stay hidden? Master Misato and Oroku Maji probably had a different method to teaching their students.

PApagreg
09-27-2016, 09:51 PM
I kinda hope Splinter learns to be more compassionate but also runs the Foot sort of like a Mob Don you know, like he treats his friends with love and respect but is completely merciless to his enemies

myconius
09-27-2016, 10:10 PM
Yeah Splinter is just showing a side of him that we haven't seen in present day yet. Up until now everything he has done has been about defending his sons, now that his role in the foot clan has been restored he has to respond to that greater perspective of protecting the entire clan.

Him being mind controlled as an answer to his unusual behavior is too hand wavey for my tastes. I expect more from this book to be frank. When it comes to the Pantheon and their chess pieces (Leo, Shredder, Alopex etc.) I feel like the "game" is more about manipulating their positions and motivations.

(With Alopex being the exception... she's just straight up hijacked mentally. But then again I guess it isn't the first time we have seen Kitsune bend the "rules")

in one of my re-reads of the series, it was cool to see the seeds of Alopex's mind control by Kitsune planted shortly after the Northhampton arc.
the scene were Alopex is still alone in the woods, and we see Kitsune get inside her head and beckon her back to NY.

i do like how Alopex's mind control played out. and at least she showed some defiance and resistance.
unlike how it was done with Leonardo in one issue, and no questioning or resistance.

even though Splinter is taking his role as head of the Foot Clan very seriously,
i'm wondering what will happen once Karai finally returns from Japan?

as fun as heads on pikes would be, i hope we get to enjoy the Phantoms a bit longer! :)

Dunn's head on a pike might not be so bad though?

CyberCubed
09-28-2016, 03:12 AM
Also is Jammerhead even a cyborg in this series? In the cartoon he was literally half machine.

MikeandRaph87
09-28-2016, 08:36 AM
Also is Jammerhead even a cyborg in this series? In the cartoon he was literally half machine.

Ask Bobby on his thread. I suspect he is fully human.

myconius
09-28-2016, 08:47 PM

i never got the impression that Jammerhead was a cyborg in this.

out of all the Phantom designs though, i think Maze definitely looks the coolest!

Mayhem
09-29-2016, 04:58 AM
Odd question maybe, but I presume his name is pronounced "mayz" and not "mar-zey"?

myconius
09-29-2016, 05:20 AM
Odd question maybe, but I presume his name is pronounced "mayz" and not "mar-zey"?

not 100% sure, but i've just been reading it as "mayz" myself.

though i was thinking Maze was possibly female?