PDA

View Full Version : Videogame Collection

Allio
09-16-2016, 02:24 PM
since there isn't a thread for this, what is in your videogame collection? you can either list the games you have or post pictures if you want - perhaps even share the games you even have pre-order or plan to add to your collection.

off hand right next to me, I have my PS4 games - keep in mind, I got my PS4 last november

PS4:
Batman - Telltale Series
Bioshock - The Collection
Darksiders 2 - Deathinitive Edition
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
Dragonball Xenoverse
Gravity Rush -Remastered-
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4
Nights of Azure
Nitro BlasterZ
One Piece: Burning Blood
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3
Senran Kagura - Estival Versus
TMNT: Mutants in Manhattaan
Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (came free with my PS4)
Uncharted 4
Kamen Rider Battride War Genesis

PS4 i have on Pre-order

Darksiders: Warmastered Edition
Digimon World: Next Order
Dragonball Xenverse 2
Gravity Rush 2
Kingdom Hearts 2.8
The Last Guardian
Shantae: Half genie Hero

so. how about you guys.

TheCanadiandrome
09-19-2016, 12:28 AM
Pretty sweet collection. I'll be taking some pics then I'll post what all I have

Ninjinister
09-19-2016, 12:41 AM
I never end up completing lists of this sort because I have so darn much, and with some systems they're either not physically here or I just can't find all of the games, especially after a move.

It makes me sad, actually. I have so much that I'm proud of, not on a "hey I have this rare/obscure/odd title or system" but on a personal level, that I've never been able to accurately catalogue.

CyberCubed
09-19-2016, 12:51 AM
I probably have 500 games from all 6 Nintendo consoles, Playstation consoles, Gameboy/GBA/DS/3DS games....and digital games...

Prowler
09-19-2016, 01:20 AM
I never end up completing lists of this sort because I have so darn much, and with some systems they're either not physically here or I just can't find all of the games, especially after a move.

It makes me sad, actually. I have so much that I'm proud of, not on a "hey I have this rare/obscure/odd title or system" but on a personal level, that I've never been able to accurately catalogue.
Pretty much. No way I can remember from the top of my head how many damn games I own. Plus there's others which I'm not so sure if I can count them as "my games" or as "my brother's games". And considering my NES no longer works and I never play on my Sega Saturn or N64 nowadays, I might as well not have those consoles and those games anymore.

I've never been one to collect every game out there, though. I buy games primarily to play them. I have no interest whatsoever in buying a crappy game just to say I own every SNES game.

Ninjinister
09-19-2016, 01:33 AM
I've never been one to collect every game out there, though. I buy games primarily to play them. I have no interest whatsoever in buying a crappy game just to say I own every SNES game.

Yeah the only s**tty games I ever knowingly buy are in specific collections that I maintain (certain licenses like TMNT, fighting games, etc.). I won't buy a game I have zero interest in just to have it and unless the number released on a system is laughably small and easy to obtain I have no reason to collect everything on any given platform.

Prowler
09-19-2016, 11:08 AM
Yeah the only s**tty games I ever knowingly buy are in specific collections that I maintain (certain licenses like TMNT, fighting games, etc.). I won't buy a game I have zero interest in just to have it and unless the number released on a system is laughably small and easy to obtain I have no reason to collect everything on any given platform.
The worst games me and my brother own are 2 of Simpson's NES games. Bart vs. the Space Mutants and Bart vs. the World . TMNT BattleNexus for the GameCube is also mediocre as is the first ever NES TMNT game, but hardly games we beat ourselves for buying.

Allio
09-19-2016, 11:41 AM
found out Limitedrunggames will be publishing Shantae Risky's revenge and The Pirate's curse on PS4 for a limited run, so I'll probably be adding those to my collection

TheCanadiandrome
09-19-2016, 03:31 PM
well I to have a ton of games as well, but i think i'll just post my more recent gen stuff, like Xbox One, PS4, etc.

Turo602
09-25-2016, 12:17 PM
Here's my collection.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j21/turo602/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-09-22%2002.45.43_zpsaxzfuklk.jpg

TheCanadiandrome
09-28-2016, 01:07 AM
Nice dude, I like

Ninjinister
09-28-2016, 04:23 AM
Well, this is far from my entire collection (lol) but I found my Dreamcast and games after NINE YEARS. I'm pretty excited.

Here's what I recovered (plus Pier Solar for completion's sake, since it came out recently). Then I realized that Smashpack was under Street Fighter 3 in this photo. D'oh.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8350/29948308216_0690e00305_o.png

We got Dino Crisis, Dead or Alive 2, ECW Revolution (actually my brother's but he told me to take it with me when I found this stuff), Confidential Mission, Sonic Shuffle, Chu Chu Rocket, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure, The Ring: Terror's Realm, Street Fighter III: Double Impact (with Smashpack under it as noted), Mortal Kombat Gold, Carrier, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, and Pier Solar.

myconius
10-07-2016, 09:23 AM
Well, this is far from my entire collection (lol) but I found my Dreamcast and games after NINE YEARS. I'm pretty excited.

Here's what I recovered (plus Pier Solar for completion's sake, since it came out recently). Then I realized that Smashpack was under Street Fighter 3 in this photo. D'oh.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8350/29948308216_0690e00305_o.png

We got Dino Crisis, Dead or Alive 2, ECW Revolution (actually my brother's but he told me to take it with me when I found this stuff), Confidential Mission, Sonic Shuffle, Chu Chu Rocket, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure, The Ring: Terror's Realm, Street Fighter III: Double Impact (with Smashpack under it as noted), Mortal Kombat Gold, Carrier, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, and Pier Solar.

DOA2 !!!! COOL DEAL!!! :D

did you ever get play the Japanese version?

basically the same exact game with tons more unlockable costumes.
maybe even a new fighting area?

TurtleWA
11-05-2016, 12:47 AM
Just updated my collection thread with items that also could be relevant to this thread and interesting to those that frequent it.
No reason to double post photos so have link below. I am happy to have finally dusted off some of this stuff and getting it organized...somewhat.:)

Redeemer
11-05-2016, 10:13 AM
Here's my collection.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j21/turo602/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-09-22%2002.45.43_zpsaxzfuklk.jpg

How the hell do you afford all those games or even find time to play all the games :lol:

TurtleWA
01-17-2017, 01:01 PM
I finally finished the series of Game Boy trading cards with the pick up of card #7. I started the collection in 1993 and just recently within the last year have been trying to complete it. Full collection posted in my thread. Link below.

I know not games but still thought relevant and could be somewhat cool to check out for those that frequent this thread. So thanks for allowing me to share. :tcool:

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
01-17-2017, 04:30 PM
Had a NES and SNES. Sold them. Miss videogames now again.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
01-17-2017, 11:01 PM
I actually started thinning out a lot of my collection last year because I didn't have the systems to play them on and decided to just sell them on ebay to make some extra cash and let someone else enjoy them. I generally don't keep new games too long anymore because I just finish them and trade them if they're not multiplayer. One cool thing I do have though is an ENORMOUS collection of Electronic Gaming Monthly. Also one of my prize possessions is a Tips and Tricks issue from May of 2002 that has my name in it because I'm a die hard Metal Gear fan and took part in a worldwide Speed Tourney for Sons of Liberty and my time tied for 10th in the world at 96min. If my house were on fire I'd rush back in to get that magazine. Also I once had a letter printed in an issue of EGM that had Snake on the cover and that is also one of my treasured possessions as well.

TurtleWA
01-18-2017, 12:33 PM
Had a NES and SNES. Sold them. Miss videogames now again.
Yeah me too. Had several consoles over the years from Nintendo and Sega both. But I really want the SNES and N64 again. Just don't want to pay prices that this retro stuff brings.

I actually started thinning out a lot of my collection last year because I didn't have the systems to play them on and decided to just sell them on ebay to make some extra cash and let someone else enjoy them. I generally don't keep new games too long anymore because I just finish them and trade them if they're not multiplayer. One cool thing I do have though is an ENORMOUS collection of Electronic Gaming Monthly. Also one of my prize possessions is a Tips and Tricks issue from May of 2002 that has my name in it because I'm a die hard Metal Gear fan and took part in a worldwide Speed Tourney for Sons of Liberty and my time tied for 10th in the world at 96min. If my house were on fire I'd rush back in to get that magazine. Also I once had a letter printed in an issue of EGM that had Snake on the cover and that is also one of my treasured possessions as well.

Congrats dude on holding that record. I would like to see those two covers you mentioned sometime if possible. What years does your magazine collection run?

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
01-18-2017, 08:01 PM
Yeah me too. Had several consoles over the years from Nintendo and Sega both. But I really want the SNES and N64 again. Just don't want to pay prices that this retro stuff brings.

Congrats dude on holding that record. I would like to see those two covers you mentioned sometime if possible. What years does your magazine collection run?

It probably dates back to around 2001-2002ish. Although I did have some EGM's from the very early 90's and wound up losing them at a buddy's house. They were really cool because they had every single fatality from Mortal Kombat 2 in them. Among reviews of classic games when they originally released. My buddy's EGM collection goes back to probably 97ish but I think he got rid of all his. Those things are great pieces of gaming history to me. A really fun thing to do is read about games that everyone was really excited about that history has shown to actually turn out to be pretty crappy games. LOL!

TheCanadiandrome
01-20-2017, 12:25 AM

Ah N64, that takes me back! Still have mine.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
01-20-2017, 06:12 AM

Ocarina, Mario Party, Majora's, Smash Bros., Pokemon Puzzle League, Mario 64, Paper Mario, Mario Kart, and so many other great games. 64 was a great system. Hours and hours and hours of my life were spent with it.

TheCanadiandrome
01-20-2017, 03:06 PM
ditto my friend, ditto

CyberCubed
01-20-2017, 03:18 PM
As a kid, I had nearly 50 N64 games.

Nowadays I have a little over 15 N64 games. I sold all the poor games or games that haven't aged well. I kept all the big Nintendo games and most of the Rare ones.

Even then some games like Ocarina, Majora's Mask, Starfox 64, etc. have better remakes on 3DS so the N64 ones aren't worth going back to anymore.

01-20-2017, 03:24 PM
As a child, I had:

==NES==
Battletoads
Flintstones: Rescue of Dino & Hoppy
Megaman V
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Zelda II

I got my NES in late-August 1991 and sold it in early-March 1995.

=SNES==
Alladin
Jungle Book
Flashback
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Pocky & Rocky
Simpsons: Bart's Nightmare
Super Mario World
Turtles in Time

I got my SNES for Christmas present in December 1992 and sold it in early-March 1996.

CyberCubed
01-20-2017, 03:33 PM
I hope you picked up all the classic Nintendo games you missed over the years.

I still have all the major Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, etc. releases on every console. Same for Starfox, F-zero, Kirby, Pokemon, Pikmin, Smash, etc.

All these games still hold up and are very replayable. Nintendo games never get old.

01-20-2017, 03:52 PM
I guess everyone had Mario, since it came with the NES.

Prowler
01-20-2017, 03:56 PM
As a kid, I had nearly 50 N64 games.

Nowadays I have a little over 15 N64 games. I sold all the poor games or games that haven't aged well. I kept all the big Nintendo games and most of the Rare ones.

Even then some games like Ocarina, Majora's Mask, Starfox 64, etc. have better remakes on 3DS so the N64 ones aren't worth going back to anymore.
Nearly 50, really? N64 games were on average pricier than Saturn and PS1 games. Especially the 2nd and 3rd party titles. Wasn't Conker one of the most expensive N64 titles?

And were there really 40+ games worth owning for the N64? I mean beyond the Nintendo 1st parties and the Rare titles there wasn't much else on the console. Silicon Valley? Ogre 64? Michief Makers? That South Park racing game? Since you're not a wrestling fan I doubt you owned all of those N64 wrestling titles.

TurtleWA
01-20-2017, 03:57 PM

Lucky dude. My stuff went the way of the garage sale, I think. WCW/NWO Revenge and MarioKart top two favs for that system that I remember. Oh and Diddy Kong racing. Wasn't into 007 or Tony Hawk like alot of others.

As a child, I had:

==NES==
Battletoads
Flintstones: Rescue of Dino & Hoppy
Megaman V
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Zelda II

I got my NES in late-August 1991 and sold it in early-March 1995.

=SNES==
Alladin
Jungle Book
Flashback
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Pocky & Rocky
Simpsons: Bart's Nightmare
Super Mario World
Turtles in Time

I got my SNES for Christmas present in December 1992 and sold it in early-March 1996.

Oh man that Aladdin game was fun as heck to play on SNES.
Also...
NBA jam
Mortal Kombat (no blood, lame, but mom's rules :lol: )
Mario All Stars
MarioKart
Top favs for that system that I remember. Got blisters on my thumbs from playing these.

And..
Daffy Duck Marvin missions
Dirt Trax FX

Rented games like
Magical quest Mickey
Jeopardy (horrible)
and many others

01-20-2017, 04:00 PM
Mortal Kombat (no blood, lame, but mom's rules :lol: )

The SNES game had no blood, like the arcade game or SEGA Megadrive one.

Prowler
01-20-2017, 04:00 PM
SNES Alladin by Capcom? I own that game, too. Supposedly the MD/Genesis version(made by another company) is better but I liked the SNES game just fine.

I also liked that Lion King game for the Genesis(the version I had) and SNES.

TurtleWA
01-20-2017, 04:05 PM
The SNES game had no blood, like the arcade game or SEGA Megadrive one.

Is this a question?

01-20-2017, 04:08 PM
:lol:Is this a question?

Now, that's how it was.

TurtleWA
01-20-2017, 04:09 PM
:lol:

Now, that's how it was.

Okay. Yeah that's why I got to play it. My mom thought it might have had blood but I said no.

01-20-2017, 04:15 PM
Okay. Yeah that's why I got to play it. My mom thought it might have had blood but I said no.

How could she know? Some moral panic-programme on TV or radio?

Prowler
01-20-2017, 04:19 PM
We've never owned the original MK game but my brother had it loaned to him a couple of times. At the time I had no idea I was looking at a censored game. Then he got MK3 and I saw MK in its full splendor. But we were pissed it didn't have Scorpion, so Cyrax became our favourite character for being yellow like him. Fortunately UMK3 fixed that... but we had that for the Saturn with long loading times :lol:

01-20-2017, 04:21 PM
I played a lot of fighting videogames at school classmates.

Prowler
01-20-2017, 04:26 PM
I miss the days when most people were down to play fighters. But since online gamign became a thing and people saw how hard it was to become good at a fighting game and that you have to lose A LOT of matches, they just said "screw this". So whenever I ask someone who isn't much into fighting games if they'd like to play a SF bout or two they're always like "no, you've been playing that game since you were little and thus are a master at it. I can even barely remember how to throw a hadouken."

01-20-2017, 04:27 PM
I miss the days when most people were down to play fighters. But since online gamign became a thing and people saw how hard it was to become good at a fighting game and that you have to lose A LOT of matches, they just said "screw this". So whenever I ask someone who isn't much into fighting games if they'd like to play a SF bout or two they're always like "no, you've been playing that game since you were little and thus are a master at it. I can even barely remember how to throw a hadouken."

Streetfighter II made fighting videogames becoming like what shoot 'em up games later became in popularity.

Prowler
01-20-2017, 04:31 PM
Streetfighter II made fighting videogames becoming like what shoot 'em up games later became in popularity.
Sure but SF isn't even the highest selling fighting franchise. Mortal Kombat and Tekken have sold more than SF has. Only truly SF II was a game "everyone" owned. SF IV was also popular but not as popular. Alpha series and especially SFIII? Those sold peanuts compared to Tekken.

People are more willing to play shooting games. SF is considered "too difficult" for many, whilst Tekken and MK are more accessible.

01-20-2017, 04:39 PM
Sure but SF isn't even the highest selling fighting franchise. Mortal Kombat and Tekken have sold more than SF has. Only truly SF II was a game "everyone" owned. SF IV was also popular but not as popular. Alpha series and especially SFIII? Those sold peanuts compared to Tekken.

People are more willing to play shooting games. SF is considered "too difficult" for many, whilst Tekken and MK are more accessible.

I actually liked both Streetfighter II and Mortal Kombat. And beating them on the easier difficult levels wasn't that hard.

TurtleWA
01-20-2017, 04:41 PM
How could she know? Some moral panic-programme on TV or radio?

I have no idea. Maybe a television program or maybe over hearing my friends and me talking. Maybe it was just standard questions about blood/violence. Made me think other versions existed with the blood. I could swear I played them somehow. But it's difficult to remember everything from when your nine or ten years old. I just remember being pissed my friend kept winning so I would pick scorpion or subzero and just do the same one move over and over until I won.

01-20-2017, 04:42 PM
I have no idea. Maybe a television program or maybe over hearing my friends and me talking. Maybe it was just standard questions about blood/violence. Made me think other versions existed with the blood. I could swear I played them somehow. But it's difficult to remember everything from when your nine or ten years old. I just remember being pissed my friend kept winning so I would pick scorpion or subzero and just do the same one move over and over until I won.

But Mortal Kombat II for SNES at least kept the blood, and rated it 15.

Prowler
01-20-2017, 04:42 PM
I actually liked both Streetfighter II and Mortal Kombat. And beating them on the easier difficult levels wasn't that hard.
Tbh I've always found the older MK games harder than SF II. Probably because the AI in MK is cheap as hell, especially the bosses whilst in SF the challenge, even if hard, is at least fair.

01-20-2017, 04:44 PM
Tbh I've always found the older MK games harder than SF II. Probably because the AI in MK is cheap as hell, especially the bosses whilst in SF the challenge, even if hard, is at least fair.

I only played the first and second Mortal Kombat games.

Prowler
01-20-2017, 04:45 PM
I only played the first and second Mortal Kombat games.
1 is easy. 2 has VERY CHEAP AI. 3... well Motaro was a nightmare for many.

01-20-2017, 04:51 PM
1 is easy. 2 has VERY CHEAP AI. 3... well Motaro was a nightmare for many.

I checked out and the third one looks cool, but still very similair to the first and second.

Prowler
01-20-2017, 04:53 PM
I checked out and the third one looks cool, but still very similair to the first and second.
MK3 was kinda disappointing. The formula was getting a bit stale by then and also the lack of characters like Scorpion, Raiden, Reptile and Johnny Cage disappointed people. UMK3 was better.

But MK9(2011) is better than all of them, so I'd rather just play that.

TurtleWA
01-20-2017, 04:54 PM
But Mortal Kombat II for SNES at least kept the blood, and rated it 15.

Never played II that I remember. But yes that's cool. No good if trying to have one size (or standard) fits all gaming.

01-20-2017, 05:05 PM
I first saw some guys playing Mortal Kombat II at a videogame arcade at an amusement park in Sweden in July 1994. It looked awesome. Then I played it with friends for SNES in September-October that year.

Prowler
01-20-2017, 05:07 PM
Never played II that I remember. But yes that's cool. No good if trying to have one size (or standard) fits all gaming.

I first saw some guys playing Mortal Kombat II at a videogame arcade at an amusement park in Sweden in July 1994. It looked awesome. Then I played it with friends for SNES in September-October that year.
I didn't get to play MKII until about 2008 actually. The MMK games I've only owned to this day have been MK3, UMK3 and MK9(2011).

I really liked Mortal Kombat 9.

01-20-2017, 05:11 PM
Did anyone have or play any of the updated Streetfighter II versions?

Prowler
01-20-2017, 05:14 PM
Me and my brother both own Street Fighter II vanilla and Super Street Fighter II. And also Street Fighter II Turbo on the Wii VC.

But my favourite version of SFII is Super Turbo and is the one I play online.

The original SFII is VERY outdated.

01-20-2017, 05:27 PM
I recall all these fighting videogames like Streetfighter II, Double Dragon, Street Gangs, Final Fight and Tekken, being considered "too violent", and rumours that those games should not be officially disturbed in Sweden. Thankfully they came.

Prowler
01-20-2017, 05:30 PM
I recall all these fighting videogames like Streetfighter II, Double Dragon, Street Gangs, Final Fight and Tekken, being considered "too violent", and rumours that those games should not be officially disturbed in Sweden. Thankfully they came.
Lol I wonder what they thought of MK then.

The funny thing is, in comparison to the games that came out in this century, 90s MK games really aren't that violent nor is Doom.

Hell in the 80s heavy metal was considered "the devil's music". If someone thinks Iron maiden are evil what would they say about all of those black metal bands :lol:

01-20-2017, 05:36 PM
Lol I wonder what they thought of MK then.

The funny thing is, in comparison to the games that came out in this century, 90s MK games really aren't that violent nor is Doom.

Hell in the 80s heavy metal was considered "the devil's music". If someone thinks Iron maiden are evil what would they say about all of those black metal bands :lol:

Did Portugal have the same debate?

Prowler
01-20-2017, 05:40 PM
Did Portugal have the same debate?
No idea. I was born in 1990 so, whether it did or not, I'd be too young to be aware of it.

But censorship has never been a big thing since we've became a democracy. Ofc Nintendo of Europe and such might censor games but that lies on Germany and not on us. just like half of our 87 Turtles episodes had "ninja" in it and the other half had "hero" in it.

01-20-2017, 05:47 PM
No idea. I was born in 1990 so, whether it did or not, I'd be too young to be aware of it.

But are violent videogames debated a lot in Portugal today?

Prowler
01-20-2017, 05:51 PM
But are violent videogames debated a lot in Portugal today?
No, not at all. Never heard a debate like that. Then again we don't have serial killers or school shootings here, so it's not like it's easy to use games as scapesgoating. Wrestling and DBZ have gotten more flack by the media. As did a couple of crappy teen dramas.

I don't think the anti-video game lobby is very strong in Europe overall.

TurtleWA
01-20-2017, 05:57 PM
SNES Alladin by Capcom? I own that game, too. Supposedly the MD/Genesis version(made by another company) is better but I liked the SNES game just fine.

I also liked that Lion King game for the Genesis(the version I had) and SNES.
Yes Capcom. Never played Lion King or Jungle Book but think I might have enjoyed them.

Next to sf2 on SNES I have only ever played super street fighter 4 on xbox 360.

I remember playing some double dragon arcade. I liked both the SF and DD movies as a kid.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
01-20-2017, 07:24 PM
I guess everyone had Mario, since it came with the NES.

Yep. It's the game that introduced me to games. I was 4 in 1986 and my auntie had just gotten this thing that she wanted us to see. So she called my mom and we all live on the same 40 acre farm so my mom walked us over to their house across the hill and I walked in the living room and saw my uncle playing the first level and that moment is seared in to my mind until this very day. I will never forget it. I've been a Mario fan ever since and can't tell you how many times I've played through that game since. I remember when 2 came out but my true happiness was when 3 came out. It was like time stood still for every kid that loved games. It's still my favorite game to this day and Dark Souls and Sons of Liberty are the only two games that have ever even came close to it for me. It's just an all time masterpiece.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
01-20-2017, 07:29 PM
We've never owned the original MK game but my brother had it loaned to him a couple of times. At the time I had no idea I was looking at a censored game. Then he got MK3 and I saw MK in its full splendor. But we were pissed it didn't have Scorpion, so Cyrax became our favourite character for being yellow like him. Fortunately UMK3 fixed that... but we had that for the Saturn with long loading times :lol:

I had a Genesis and a SNES but I had MK on the Genesis because it actually had blood. I was a huge MK fan back then but loved Street Fighter as well but now I pretty much can't stand MK but have maintained my love of Street Fighter and just think it's a vastly deeper experience and contains much more substance than it does just style. I remember Capcom went completely crazy releasing newer versions of SF2 and me and my buddies would still get them and play the crap out of them. SF2 holds up to this day as maybe the greatest pure fighting game ever made.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
01-20-2017, 07:32 PM

Yeah sadly the online community of gamers has just descended in to this pathetic swamp infested with casual gamers that only want to play genero fps games and hide in corners camping and shooting people as they run by and then acting like they're legit. They're not. I had TONS of fun with SF4 though and it had a pretty good community for the most part on XBOX Live. A few spammers but other than that most people really tried to play the game right as opposed to just doing the same move over and over.

Prowler
01-20-2017, 07:34 PM
I had a Genesis and a SNES but I had MK on the Genesis because it actually had blood. I was a huge MK fan back then but loved Street Fighter as well but now I pretty much can't stand MK but have maintained my love of Street Fighter and just think it's a vastly deeper experience and contains much more substance than it does just style. I remember Capcom went completely crazy releasing newer versions of SF2 and me and my buddies would still get them and play the crap out of them. SF2 holds up to this day as maybe the greatest pure fighting game ever made.
Those updated versions of SF were needed to improve the game for the competitive fighting scene. But yes Capcom doing business with SFIV as if we were back in the early 90s was kinda silly, even though vanilla Sagat was too strong. I also don't like how they nerfed Cammy in Ultra.

Eh I dunno. Super Turbo is fun and all but I'd rather play 3rd Strike or Ultra SFIV competitively.

Well MK is for people who don't like fighting games in general, usually. Although I heard MKX is pretty hard. But yes the only selling point of older MK titles was the blood and fatalities and such. They kinda play like sh*t in comparison to SF, KOF, Tekken, VF and SC.

Which reminds me, Virtua Fighter 2 was pretty big for its time but clearly the franchise wasn't able to stay relevant.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
01-20-2017, 07:56 PM
Those updated versions of SF were needed to improve the game for the competitive fighting scene. But yes Capcom doing business with SFIV as if we were back in the early 90s was kinda silly, even though vanilla Sagat was too strong. I also don't like how they nerfed Cammy in Ultra.

Eh I dunno. Super Turbo is fun and all but I'd rather play 3rd Strike or Ultra SFIV competitively.

Well MK is for people who don't like fighting games in general, usually. Although I heard MKX is pretty hard. But yes the only selling point of older MK titles was the blood and fatalities and such. They kinda play like sh*t in comparison to SF, KOF, Tekken, VF and SC.

Which reminds me, Virtua Fighter 2 was pretty big for its time but clearly the franchise wasn't able to stay relevant.
I agree about Ultra SF4. It's the best version of the game I think. It's true that back in the day fighting games were super popular. Primal Rage was another one that was really cool back then but hasn't stuck around. A lot of the reason that fighting games were so huge then was because arcades still existed. When MK2 came out my buddy's mom took us and another friend to Wal Mart where they had a machine of it and we spent $28 in quarters that night just playing that game over and over! LOL! Then my buddy got it actually a little bit early and called to brag about it when it came out on Genesis and I literally begged my mom to take me over to his house and we played that thing until our fingers almost bled. It was a true phenomenon at the time. I appreciate what it has done for games as a whole but on its own it really doesn't hold up well.

Prowler
01-20-2017, 08:05 PM
I agree about Ultra SF4. It's the best version of the game I think. It's true that back in the day fighting games were super popular. Primal Rage was another one that was really cool back then but hasn't stuck around. A lot of the reason that fighting games were so huge then was because arcades still existed. When MK2 came out my buddy's mom took us and another friend to Wal Mart where they had a machine of it and we spent $28 in quarters that night just playing that game over and over! LOL! Then my buddy got it actually a little bit early and called to brag about it when it came out on Genesis and I literally begged my mom to take me over to his house and we played that thing until our fingers almost bled. It was a true phenomenon at the time. I appreciate what it has done for games as a whole but on its own it really doesn't hold up well.
Online gaming is a great way to play fighters online, though... but it seems it's mostly SF that has good netcode. People prefer to play KOF games on Fightcade than, let's say, on Steam since Fightcade has better netcode.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
01-20-2017, 08:10 PM
Online gaming is a great way to play fighters online, though... but it seems it's mostly SF that has good netcode. People prefer to play KOF games on Fightcade than, let's say, on Steam since Fightcade has better netcode.

Yeah lag is a pain on there. Online gaming is still pretty much in its infancy though. I mean I know it has been around for a long time but there are still probably astounding advancements that are coming.

Prowler
01-20-2017, 09:02 PM
Yeah lag is a pain on there. Online gaming is still pretty much in its infancy though. I mean I know it has been around for a long time but there are still probably astounding advancements that are coming.
The first console to do it right was Xbox 360.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
01-20-2017, 09:13 PM
The first console to do it right was Xbox 360.

I agree one million percent. XBL is still the online gaming gold standard for me. XB1's interface isn't as good in my opinion but I have a kinect and that makes things a lot less murky. You're totally right about 360 though. I've had every system though and so I'm not coming at it from a blind fanboy hatred either. I've actually experienced each one extensively.

01-21-2017, 02:50 AM
No, not at all. Never heard a debate like that. Then again we don't have serial killers or school shootings here, so it's not like it's easy to use games as scapesgoating. Wrestling and DBZ have gotten more flack by the media. As did a couple of crappy teen dramas.

I don't think the anti-video game lobby is very strong in Europe overall.

In Sweden, they weren't so afraid of school massacres, but ordinary violence was blamed for videogames. Usually fighting videogames like Mortal Kombat, Streetfighter and Tekken were considered too violent for children.