PDA

View Full Version : Bomb in NYC injures 29 people

Prowler
09-18-2016, 10:24 AM
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37402130

New York bomb was 'act of terrorism', says Governor Cuomo

A bomb that exploded in New York City was an act of terrorism, Governor Andrew Cuomo says, but no link to international groups has been found.
Mr Cuomo said significant damage had been caused and "we were lucky there were no fatalities". Saturday night's blast in Manhattan injured 29 people.
Some 1,000 extra security personnel are being deployed to NY transport hubs.
Mr Cuomo said: "Whoever placed these bombs - we will find them and they will be brought to justice."
A second device - a pressure cooker attached to wiring and a mobile phone - had been found four blocks from the site of the explosion in the Chelsea district and was removed safely.

Addressing reporters on Sunday near the site of the explosion, Mr Cuomo said: "A bomb exploding in New York is obviously an act of terrorism."

But he said that, as yet, no international organisation such as so-called Islamic State had claimed they were behind it.
Mr Cuomo said: "We will not allow these type of people and these type of threats to disrupt our life in New York. This is freedom. This is democracy, and we are not going to allow them to take that from us.
"They want to instil terror. They want to make you worry about going into New York. We're not going to let them instil fear."
All 29 injury victims had now been released from hospital, he said.
Mr Cuomo said that the attack was one of the "nightmare scenarios" a governor must face, but he added: "We have no reason to believe at this time that there is any further immediate threat."
He said the two devices in New York appeared similar in design, but different from the pipe bomb that detonated earlier on Saturday on the route of a charity race in New Jersey. That explosion caused no injuries.
Windows blown out
The Chelsea explosion occurred at about 21:00 (01:00 GMT on Sunday), outside a residence for blind people on West 23rd St.

The second device has been described as a pressure cooker attached to wiring and a mobile phone - and this mode of attack was last seen in the US during the Boston Marathon bombings of 2013.
A pressure cooker device also featured in a failed jihadist plot to attack New York's Times Square in 2010. Extreme right-wing cells have also made them and the instructions are freely passed around on the internet.
The US has a dedicated laboratory where forensic scientists analyse the remains of every significant explosive device the security services recover.
Tiny fragments of a detonated device can be enough to pinpoint how it was made - and potentially who made it. Two years ago the US scientists had a major victory when their painstaking work uncovered evidence that proved that a London taxi driver had made bombs in Iraq that killed a soldier.
The force of the blast blew out windows and could be heard several blocks away.
Some reports said the bomb went off in a black metal construction toolbox, others that it was in a rubbish bin.

Chelsea is among the most fashionable districts of Manhattan and its bars and restaurants are usually crowded at the weekend.
On Tuesday President Obama and other world leaders are due to attend the UN General Assembly in New York.

I believe there was also an explosion yesterday in NJ. The governor of NY suspects the bomb in NYC was an act of terrorism, but no one has suggested the two acts might be related to each other yet.

TheSkeletonMan939
09-18-2016, 10:27 AM
Thank God no one was killed this time...
Hope they scrape up the vermin who did this and lock him away.

Prowler
09-18-2016, 10:29 AM
Thank God no one was killed this time...
Hope they scrape up the vermin who did this and lock him away.
I wonder if it's related to the explosion in NJ during a marine race. Or even to the Minnesota mall stabbing spree. Just seems to be too much of a coincidence, you know what I mean?

TheSkeletonMan939
09-18-2016, 10:39 AM
Unfortunately such events are so commonplace today that I think it may all be just that - a coincidence.

snake
09-18-2016, 10:39 AM
I'd bet my life on it being related to NJ. Horrible event.

Prowler
09-18-2016, 10:45 AM
Unfortunately such events are so commonplace today that I think it may all be just that - a coincidence.

I'd bet my life on it being related to NJ. Horrible event.
Well, when top EU and American politicians end up fabricating monsters to fight other monsters, what do you expect, really.

mrmaczaps
09-18-2016, 12:09 PM
Well, when top EU and American politicians end up fabricating monsters to fight other monsters, what do you expect, really.

Politicians make up monsters?

Prowler
09-18-2016, 12:26 PM
Politicians make up monsters?
No, they create them. I used the wrong verb, my bad.

But politicians can also lie about who the enemy is or how he came to be. In the last few years we've been hearing how evil the Russians are, but well guess what, it's not the Russians who have been performing attacks in Europe and in the USA lately.

plastroncafe
09-18-2016, 12:32 PM
You (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-08/delta-suspends-all-flights-due-system-outage-nationwide-computer-systems-down-everyw) sure (http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/russians-hacked-two-u-s-voter-databases-say-officials-n639551) about (http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/23/politics/russia-hack-new-york-times-fbi/) that (https://www.wired.com/2016/07/heres-know-russia-dnc-hack/)?

Prowler
09-18-2016, 12:39 PM
You (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-08/delta-suspends-all-flights-due-system-outage-nationwide-computer-systems-down-everyw) sure (http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/russians-hacked-two-u-s-voter-databases-say-officials-n639551) about (http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/23/politics/russia-hack-new-york-times-fbi/) that (https://www.wired.com/2016/07/heres-know-russia-dnc-hack/)?
Until they mess with the Old Continent it's all good. USA and Russia have been going at each other for decades now.

I wonder if Palin can still see what they're doing from her window.

TheSkeletonMan939
09-18-2016, 12:50 PM
I wonder if Palin can still see what they're doing from her window.

Ask Tina Fey - she's the one who gave people the impression that Palin actually said that.

Prowler
09-18-2016, 01:05 PM
Ask Tina Fey - she's the one who gave people the impression that Palin actually said that.
Yes, Palin said you could see Russia from Alaska and not from her house. Kinda funny how it's the thing people remember the most about her when she's probably said way worse things back in 2008.

snake
09-18-2016, 01:12 PM
Putin/Russia gets sh*t done. Unlike us.

Prowler
09-18-2016, 01:19 PM
yeah, US and EU intervention in Syria hasn't done us any favor. Nor did the goddamn Arab Spring. And now we have the ref... migrant crisis on our hands. Wonderful :trolleye:

BubblyShell22
09-18-2016, 01:20 PM
This is so horrible. I hope they catch whoever did this and they are brought to justice. At least no one was killed, but it could have been much worse. Didn't hear about the NJ bombing though. It sucks that these things have to happen.

Prowler
09-18-2016, 01:21 PM
This is so horrible. I hope they catch whoever did this and they are brought to justice. At least no one was killed, but it could have been much worse. Didn't hear about the NJ bombing though. It sucks that these things have to happen.
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/17/us/nj-explosive-trash-can/

No one got injured, though.

ToTheNines
09-18-2016, 01:40 PM

Jesus Christ, this is a horrifying mindset. Do you consider murdering journalists, rigging elections, and violating basic human rights on a whim to be "getting **** done"?

Prowler
09-18-2016, 01:50 PM
Jesus Christ, this is a horrifying mindset. Do you consider murdering journalists, rigging elections, and violating basic human rights on a whim to be "getting **** done"?
I think he meant Syria in specific. At least that's how I interpreted his post. I mean, if he was referring to Russia's domestic policies it wouldn't make much sense since Russia isn't exactly close to being heaven on Earth.

snake
09-18-2016, 01:51 PM

Oh no, I'm not defending the sh*tshow they have going on over there (remember Crimea?) but they handled the ISIS/Syria crisis pretty well IMO.

Russia is a corrupt country, but they mean buisness.

Commenter 42
09-18-2016, 01:54 PM
Trust nothing and no one. Don't even trust yourself.

Fear is the only true motivator, so stay afraid.

Prowler
09-18-2016, 02:00 PM

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/50485753.jpg

snake
09-18-2016, 02:06 PM

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/885/519/eef.png

turtle1237
09-19-2016, 07:47 AM
But you can trust the power of steel.

This you can trust.

ZariusTwo
09-19-2016, 09:40 AM
They caught the bomber.

MikeandRaph87
09-19-2016, 10:50 AM
I saw on the news they knew who it was and had relatives of the suspect in custody. They got the person in question then? Good!

I read that 29 are injured. Is there no death toll only injured?

Prowler
09-19-2016, 11:05 AM
They caught the bomber.

Yep (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37411784)

I saw on the news they knew who it was and had relatives of the suspect in custody. They got the person in question then? Good!

I read that 29 are injured. Is there no death toll only injured?
According to Obama(see link above) no one got killed.

BubblyShell22
09-19-2016, 12:35 PM
Awesome to hear the jerk got caught.

mrmaczaps
09-19-2016, 12:55 PM
Awesome to hear the jerk got caught.

Terrorist... The terrorist got caught...

plastroncafe
09-19-2016, 01:22 PM
Alleged bomber, if we're going to split hairs.
We don't know that he's a terrorist, nor can we assume the person of interest that was caught is guilty. That's for the court to decide.

But seeing as the guy currently in custody was trespassing when he was caught, and then fired on police...I'd say jerk is pretty accurate.

snake
09-19-2016, 01:29 PM
Alleged bomber, if we're going to split hairs.
We don't know that he's a terrorist, nor can we assume the person of interest that was caught is guilty. That's for the court to decide.

But seeing as the guy currently in custody was trespassing when he was caught, and then fired on police...I'd say jerk is pretty accurate.

I think if you bomb something you should be considered a terrorist by definition.

plastroncafe
09-19-2016, 01:32 PM
I think if you bomb something you should be considered a terrorist by definition.

Sure. The same thing should also be said for dudes who shoot up movie theaters full of people. But it's not.

snake
09-19-2016, 01:37 PM
Sure. The same thing should also be said for dudes who shoot up movie theaters full of people. But it's not.

You don't consider them terrorists? I do.

School shooters are the only sub catagory I give

plastroncafe
09-19-2016, 01:46 PM
You don't consider them terrorists? I do.

School shooters are the only sub catagory I give

I'd consider them terrorists too. Really anyone who uses an atmosphere of "fear" to further an agenda is a terrorist. Whether that atmosphere relies upon actual violence, or the perception of impending violence.

However, in the media, terrorist is a term relegated to either people who are actively trying to further a political agenda, or mass-murders who aren't white.
And since we don't yet know if this guy had a political agenda, I feel it's too soon to go tossing around the term.

You are more than welcome to disagree with me.

Prowler
09-19-2016, 01:50 PM
I'd consider them terrorists too. Really anyone who uses an atmosphere of "fear" to further an agenda is a terrorist. Whether that atmosphere relies upon actual violence, or the perception of impending violence.

However, in the media, terrorist is a term relegated to either people who are actively trying to further a political agenda, or mass-murders who aren't white.
And since we don't yet know if this guy had a political agenda, I feel it's too soon to go tossing around the term.

You are more than welcome to disagree with me.
Breivik is white and pretty sure he is considered a terrorist by the media. Just like all those far-left and far-right organisations who committed bombing throughout Europe in the 70s-80s were labeled as terrorists back then.

Ofc since Islamic terrorism seems to be the biggest in the world in the current century, people ended up equating Islam with terrorism. Even though it's inaccurate. The media just plays its part in order to sell papers.

plastroncafe
09-19-2016, 01:52 PM
Breivik is white and pretty sure he is considered a terrorist by the media. Just like all those far-left and far-right organisations who committed bombing throughout Europe in the 70s-80s were labeled as terrorists back then.

Ofc since Islamic terrorism seems to be the biggest in the world in the current century, people ended up equating Islam with terrorism. Even though it's inaccurate. The media just plays its part in order to sell papers.

Ah, my bad. I forgot to make the "In America" stipulation.
Sorry about that.

This guy in New York? The few reports I'm seeing that mention he's an American citizen are from international sites.
Most domestic sources are quick to point out that he wasn't born in the US, as if that somehow makes him less a citizen.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-19-2016, 01:53 PM

Well... everything was on-point except "sell papers."

Only people buying newspapers these days own pet birds. :trazz:

Prowler
09-19-2016, 01:57 PM
Ah, my bad. I forgot to make the "In America" stipulation.
Sorry about that.

This guy in New York? The few reports I'm seeing that mention he's an American citizen are from international sites.
Most domestic sources are quick to point out that he wasn't born in the US, as if that somehow makes him less a citizen.
Yes, I figured you meant USA, but nowadays in Europe we don't really fear internal terrorism from other white folk anymore either. Just from Middle Eastern folk. So what you've said probably applies here somewhat as well.

I guess many Middle Eastern Americas are 1st and 2nd generation Americans. Plus, USA, no matter how diverse it might be it still was meant to be a European like country and the majority is white, so I can see why that sort of thing happens. Not saying it's right, considering it's a country of immigrants form all over the world but I can see why people might overlook the fact that an Afghani guy might be as American as an Irish American guy is.

Well... everything was on-point except "sell papers."

Only people buying newspapers these days own pet birds. :trazz:
Well, you know what I meant anyway :P

plastroncafe
09-19-2016, 02:04 PM
Yes, I figured you meant USA, but nowadays in Europe we don't really fear internal terrorism from other white folk anymore either. Just from Middle Eastern folk. So what you've said probably applies here somewhat as well.

I guess many Middle Eastern Americas are 1st and 2nd generation Americans. Plus, USA, no matter how diverse it might be it still was meant to be a European like country and the majority is white, so I can see why that sort of thing happens. Not saying it's right, considering it's a country of immigrants form all over the world but I can see why people might overlook the fact that an Afghani guy might be as American as an Irish American guy is.

And the cycle begins anew.
Honestly I can't wait to go home for the holidays so I can hear all about how Italians were persecuted when they first came over. How horrible and unspeakable it was when they were stripped of their language and culture and blah blah blah.

And then in the next breath how people coming over now should not be allowed to speak their language, or make their own food, or retain their customs.

But I digress.

Prowler
09-19-2016, 02:14 PM
And the cycle begins anew.
Honestly I can't wait to go home for the holidays so I can hear all about how Italians were persecuted when they first came over. How horrible and unspeakable it was when they were stripped of their language and culture and blah blah blah.

And then in the next breath how people coming over now should not be allowed to speak their language, or make their own food, or retain their customs.

But I digress.
Yes I know they suffered discrimination at first. In the first half of the 20th century Europeans still had lots of bad blood among each other, so we were all dicks to each other, you see. Not like nowadays where we claim to hate war and call ourselves the zenith of human civilisation!

BubblyShell22
09-19-2016, 03:13 PM
Terrorists are just as much jerks as gang members who shoot innocent people or anyone who commits murder. That's why I called him a jerk.

Powder
09-19-2016, 03:37 PM
How far is Plastron from defending this guy? 2 posts?

Cure
09-19-2016, 03:38 PM
I was in NYC today and it feels like nothing even happened.

plastroncafe
09-19-2016, 03:39 PM
I was in NYC today and it feels like nothing even happened.

Yeah, all my friends in the city are pretty much reacting the same way.

"Everyone okay? Good. Moving on."

Prowler
09-19-2016, 04:31 PM
White privilege was what set him off, man!

snake
09-19-2016, 04:35 PM

Well, the bomber isn't a woman, but he is a minority, so I'll give her a post or two.

TheSkeletonMan939
09-19-2016, 04:42 PM
It's the fault of the white man! If they weren't so oppressive, Ahmad Khan Rahami wouldn't have felt the impulse to lash out!

Prowler
09-19-2016, 04:43 PM
It's the fault of the white man! If they weren't so oppressive, Ahmad Khan Rahami wouldn't have felt the impulse to lash out!
I bet what triggered him was a white guy asking him "so where are you from?" and a white girl telling him "you're pretty nice for a Muslim guy!"

FredWolfLeonardo
09-19-2016, 05:11 PM
This was just sad.

And equally as sad that people won't identify the cause of the problem, people will blame Geographic and socio-economic conditions but ideology and intent aren't looked at as much.

Prowler
09-19-2016, 05:15 PM
lol @ the "confirmation bias" tag.

Commenter 42
09-19-2016, 05:19 PM
I'm seriously thinking of voting Trump.

The wall is starting to sound like a good idea too.

Prowler
09-19-2016, 05:22 PM

You might be joking but if more attacks like this happen(also don't forget the Minnesota mall one) Trump is gonna gain more votes.

Commenter 42
09-19-2016, 06:25 PM
You might be joking but if more attacks like this happen(also don't forget the Minnesota mall one) Trump is gonna gain more votes.

I'm kind of not. I'm tired of the apologies for make believe madness.
Imagine somebody blowing up stuff in the name of Krang?

We wouldn't put up with that, so why do we put up with other nonsense.

A least Trumps an Atheist, and has a sense of Humor. If we can't have a Libertarian, at least we can have a Lunatic. Better than a Hawk.

snake
09-19-2016, 06:34 PM

Now you're coming around :lol:

ToTheNines
09-19-2016, 06:36 PM
An atheist? For all his off the cuff "unfiltered" schtick, he's capable of being a phony ass politician too. Right after he won the primaries there was a lot of crap about him being a born again Christian and rubbing elbows with mega church pastors and other religious leaders.

Commenter 42
09-19-2016, 06:38 PM
Now you're coming around :lol:

I mean, it's not a once in a while thing; it's every damn attack, ALL motivated by Islam, or the Islamic state.

Enough already.

An atheist? For all his off the cuff "unfiltered" schtick, he's capable of being a phony ass politician too. Right after he won the primaries there was a lot of crap about him being a born again Christian and rubbing elbows with mega church pastors and other religious leaders.

He tried to pass himself off as one of them, but failed hard. He's all lip service, not to mention he really doesn't have any desire to actually be president, aside from the title.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-19-2016, 06:39 PM

This. Hypocrisy and picking teams, all to beat that she-devil in scarlet, Madame Hillary de Clinton!!! :trolleye:

FredWolfLeonardo
09-19-2016, 06:40 PM
I'm kind of not. I'm tired of the apologies for make believe madness.
Imagine somebody blowing up stuff in the name of Krang?

We wouldn't put up with that, so why do we put up with other nonsense.

A least Trumps an Atheist, and has a sense of Humor. If we can't have a Libertarian, at least we can have a Lunatic. Better than a Hawk.

Huh? Wasn't Trump the conservative, evangelical type? I always thought he was Christian.

But regardless, I agree, no one would put up with people committing violence in the name of Krang or anyone for that matter, the root of any problem is in the mind and ideology, no amount of change in Geographic and socio-economic conditions will change perspective.

plastroncafe
09-19-2016, 06:42 PM
This. Hypocrisy and picking teams, all to beat that she-devil in scarlet, Madame Hillary de Clinton!!! :trolleye:

The hawk vs the multi-bailed out business man.

Either way, I'm just feeling pretty glad me and mine aren't eligible for the draft.

Commenter 42
09-19-2016, 06:43 PM
Huh? Wasn't Trump the conservative, evangelical type? I always thought he was Christian.

But regardless, I agree, no one would put up with people committing violence in the name of Krang or anyone for that matter, the root of any problem is in the mind and ideology, no amount of change in Geographic and socio-economic conditions will change perspective.

nah, they pressed him for his favorite bible quote, and he couldn't do it.

He's just parroting to get the vote. He's beating Clinton at her own game, but with a wink and a nod.

snake
09-19-2016, 06:44 PM
I thought Trump was an Evangelion as well. Did he say anything about being an athiest/agnostic to the public?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-19-2016, 06:46 PM
Real talk: I can't even get worked up over this. I'm just tired. It'll happen again, and again, and again, in a theater, or a school, or a subway, but nothing will ever change.

We'll talk, and we'll point fingers, and we'll incriminate and discriminate and investigate, but at the end of the day, we're still only a couple of weeks from the next local terrorist attack.

plastroncafe
09-19-2016, 06:47 PM
Not according to Snopes. (http://www.snopes.com/trump-donahue-atheist-1989/)

FredWolfLeonardo
09-19-2016, 06:48 PM
I thought Trump was an Evangelion as well. Did he say anything about being an athiest/agnostic to the public?

Since that would probably ruin his chances of beating Clinton, he most likely wouldn't, he's smart enough to know that.

Commenter 42
09-19-2016, 06:50 PM
He's a Protestant? Presbyterian? Something.
But come on. This is Trump, everything is a show.

but yeah, better the devil you know, who isn't looking to bring more religious tension to the country.

It's one thing to have differences, but the number of attacks...

ToTheNines
09-19-2016, 07:01 PM
It's one thing to have differences, but the number of attacks...

These attacks only happen because gun laws.

plastroncafe
09-19-2016, 07:03 PM
And because they sell explosives at sporting goods stores.

ToTheNines
09-19-2016, 07:08 PM
Yeah! ****in Dick's!

Commenter 42
09-19-2016, 07:08 PM
NY should just go open carry.

Things would just be so much simpler.

ToTheNines
09-19-2016, 07:14 PM
NY should just go open carry.

Things would just be so much simpler.

You fool. People will only stop doing bad things if the government makes everything related to said thing illegal.

Commenter 42
09-19-2016, 07:14 PM
Real talk: I can't even get worked up over this. I'm just tired. It'll happen again, and again, and again, in a theater, or a school, or a subway, but nothing will ever change.

We'll talk, and we'll point fingers, and we'll incriminate and discriminate and investigate, but at the end of the day, we're still only a couple of weeks from the next local terrorist attack.

It really is the kind of thing that, while troubling, doesn't hit home until it, you know, actually hits home.

I hasn't affected me directly, yet, but if it ever did, I'd have a hard time suppressing my rage, considering it's completely preventable.

You fool. People will only stop doing bad things if the government makes everything related to said thing illegal.

Lol, some people aren't old enough to remember the war on drugs. Went over like a lead F*cking balloon, not to mention Regan being implicit in the escalation of the crisis.
We manufacture fear at first, but after a while, it picks up speed under it's own momentum.

plastroncafe
09-19-2016, 07:18 PM

There's really not much to talk about when, as a culture, we've decided we're okay with little kids getting shot in school.

At this point it's just a matter of time.

I am rather entertained by people so easily mollified by the containment of one person. Like...We can all sleep easier now, we have the One Guy.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-19-2016, 07:19 PM
It really is the kind of thing that, while troubling, doesn't hit home until it, you know, actually hits home.

I hasn't affected me directly, yet, but if it ever did, I'd have a hard time suppressing my rage, considering it's completely preventable.

Agreed. We grow numb through overexposure until those incidents strike a little closer to home or regain our "interest", if you will, through escalation.

ToTheNines
09-19-2016, 07:22 PM
There's really not much to talk about when, as a culture, we've decided we're okay with little kids getting shot in school.

At this point it's just a matter of time.

Then let's talk about Bastille Day. Should we outlaw diesel trucks?

Commenter 42
09-19-2016, 07:23 PM
Agreed. We grow numb through overexposure until those incidents strike a little closer to home or regain our "interest", if you will, through escalation.

As an aside, i just want to say, I read the other day that Texas is on track to over comply with the new emissions standards for 2030.

For once the "everything's bigger in Texas" falls on the side of good.
Congrats.

plastroncafe
09-19-2016, 07:27 PM
Then let's talk about Bastille Day. Should we outlaw diesel trucks?

The only thing that will stop a badguy driving a diesel truck, is a goodguy driving a diesel truck.

Commenter 42
09-19-2016, 07:32 PM
Get rid of the zealots and deal with the mentally ill, the gun "problem" solves itself.

Then again, if we all have guns, the gun problem again, solves itself.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-19-2016, 07:37 PM
As an aside, i just want to say, I read the other day that Texas is on track to over comply with the new emissions standards for 2030.

For once the "everything's bigger in Texas" falls on the side of good.
Congrats.

I actually haven't heard anything about that; will have to go look it up...

snake
09-19-2016, 07:53 PM
Get rid of the zealots and deal with the mentally ill, the gun "problem" solves itself.

Then again, if we all have guns, the gun problem again, solves itself.

You're overestimating the smartness of people. If every dumbf*ck had a weapon AND open carry was legal could you imagine the amount of shootings over minor things? Sure, let the stupid kill themselves, but when you'd find yourself looking down the barrel after spilling your popcorn at the movie theatre, what are you gonna do?

Commenter 42
09-19-2016, 08:01 PM
You're overestimating the smartness of people. If every dumbf*ck had a weapon AND open carry was legal could you imagine the amount of shootings over minor things? Sure, let the stupid kill themselves, but when you'd find yourself looking down the barrel after spilling your popcorn at the movie theatre, what are you gonna do?

Considering the impending water shortage/crisis...

What I'm saying, there is an upside to everything.

I never spill my popcorn. I don't do popcorn.

snake
09-19-2016, 08:07 PM
Considering the impending water shortage/crisis...

What I'm saying, there is an upside to everything.

I never spill my popcorn. I don't do popcorn.

When we have a major water crisis, I wouldn't even care. I'd go full mad max at that point. No laws, no rules except my own. Immortan Snake.

ToTheNines
09-19-2016, 08:08 PM

Nah, it wouldn't turn into the wild west. You'd certainly see more private businesses specifically banning them. But day to day life wouldn't be much different. Murder would still be frowned upon lol.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-19-2016, 08:09 PM
Nah, it wouldn't turn into the wild west. You'd certainly see more private businesses specifically banning them. But day to day life wouldn't be much different. Murder would still be frowned upon lol.

I dunno, man, you don't live in Texas...

There are more redneck idiot hillbillies with itchy trigger fingers than a houn'dog has fleas.

EDIT TO ADD: Of course, one could hope a spree of Darwin Award nominations would solve the problem over a short period of time... :trazz:

plastroncafe
09-19-2016, 08:12 PM
I dunno, man, you don't live in Texas...

There are more redneck idiot hillbillies with itchy trigger fingers than a houn'dog has fleas.

EDIT TO ADD: Of course, one could hope a spree of Darwin Award nominations would solve the problem over a short period of time... :trazz:

One could also hope that every bullet fired went into the intended target,and not say...anyone else.

snake
09-19-2016, 08:16 PM

I live in the hood. My family stupidly does not own a gun. (Once I'm out on my own, I will for protective purposes.) I have to worry about the constant shootings the way it is, let alone everyone running around with a gun openly.

I know this is all theoretical and probably won't happen, but I wouldn't think doing that would solve anything.

ToTheNines
09-19-2016, 08:26 PM
One could also hope that every bullet fired went into the intended target,and not say...anyone else.

One could also hope that no one ever died, or fell ill, or had their feelings hurt, or etc. etc.

I live in the hood. My family stupidly does not own a gun. (Once I'm out on my own, I will for protective purposes.) I have to worry about the constant shootings the way it is, let alone everyone running around with a gun openly.

I know this is all theoretical and probably won't happen, but I wouldn't think doing that would solve anything.

Yes agreed, highly theoretical. But I really think y'all are catastrophizing.

Commenter 42
09-19-2016, 08:27 PM

What we're doing right now isn't working either, and a BAN on guns, would absolutely drive a black market.

FredWolfLeonardo
09-19-2016, 08:44 PM
Laws are just mental constructs. So are all problems, definitions and meanings.

You can trace back the actions of terrorists to their mental turmoil, the belief that something is wrong and should be different as opposed to what it is. You can trace back every problem to a misunderstanding of reality by the ego, there is no "should", there only is what is.

Commenter 42
09-19-2016, 08:47 PM
Laws are just mental constructs. So are all problems, definitions and meanings.

You can trace back the actions of terrorists to their mental turmoil, the belief that something is wrong and should be different as opposed to what it is. You can trace back every problem to a misunderstanding of reality by the ego, there is no "should", there only is what is.

...well, duh.

:P

plastroncafe
09-19-2016, 09:04 PM
What is is a mental construct.

snake
09-19-2016, 09:23 PM
What is is a mental construct.

Green Lantern rings you f*cking fake nerd girl

Do you not read camics or something?

Commenter 42
09-19-2016, 09:32 PM
My gay friends are very angry with today's liberals. The folks I talk to think we should ban Muslims, if for no other reason than their brutal intolerance.

Maybe that sounds harsh, but watch a chairing video, and you realize, they have some horrific customs. Maybe we don't need anymore of that kind of thinking.

This whole thing reminds me of the Indian and the log.

snake
09-19-2016, 09:44 PM
My gay friends are very angry with today's liberals. The folks I talk to think we should ban Muslims, if for no other reason than their brutal intolerance.

Maybe that sounds harsh, but watch a chairing video, and you realize, they have some horrific customs. Maybe we don't need anymore of that kind of thinking.

This whole thing reminds me of the Indian and the log.

Did you see the video from a british school of a muslim teacher (burka'd and all) telling the children all about how infidels are stoned, killed, and punished? Like not even sugar coating it. She full on tells them that they should be killed. One of the students recorded it using a cell phone.

Very disturbing.

EDIT - http://www.infowars.com/leaked-video-muslim-teacher-tells-kids-to-kill-gays/

Commenter 42
09-19-2016, 10:04 PM
Did you see the video from a british school of a muslim teacher (burka'd and all) telling the children all about how infidels are stoned, killed, and punished? Like not even sugar coating it. She full on tells them that they should be killed. One of the students recorded it using a cell phone.

Very disturbing.

EDIT - http://www.infowars.com/leaked-video-muslim-teacher-tells-kids-to-kill-gays/

See, there's a huge difference between being a biggot/racist, and being opposed to ideological views.
I don't hate whites. I DO hate white nationalism. Skin color is a footnote, your customs might be another story.

People are just people, for better or worse, but Islamic militants are intent on causing harm, and needs to be addressed. On the flip side, the US isn't innocent. Everyone has blood on there hands.

Humans aren't interested in peace, just retribution/retaliation.

So, yeah, teaching children to hate...that's a reality. Did we earn that hate? Hard to say-there was a war, things were horrific, and it still continues, today. We do own a piece of the refugee crisis.
So, it's all terrible, but for now, limiting immigration and perhaps travel, to or from places that are screaming death to America, is probably a good idea. Meanwhile, maybe we need to figure out why we're still ostensibly, at war.

Hate of gays is, just, well, as someone pointed out , I'm old, and gay hatred was pretty normal, until the early 2000's.

Growing up, being gay was practically synonymous with being a pedophile or similar. It was not cool, at all. 40 years ago, you could be arrested, for being gay. In was a crime....
So, Islam needs to catch up.
I was one of those kids that liked the fringe. I like otherness. I grew up knowing closeted kids.
But all that said, it is 2016, not 1980. The world has grown it's understanding of everything exponentially. We get, what we never did before.

But that's the biggest problem religions face. They don't change, or if they do, it isn't quickly. They pride the,selves on hard and fast rules about life.

Imagine, if that applied to video games, or the iPhone, or music.

Mozart is great and all, but The Beatles need to exist.

So, of course they teach children to hate gays. The religion is outdated poison, like all religions are; hard and fast rules devised to control and exclude, divide and demonize.
You simply can't accept a religion without acknowledging your accepting hatred. It is confirmation bias, in it's purest form.

FredWolfLeonardo
09-19-2016, 11:17 PM
I don't necessarily think its religion itself which is the problem (a book with written pages in ink letters, whether it is the Bible or the Quran, means nothing aside from what meaning you give to it), but the approach towards religion itself, and how many people have abused and exploited it throughout all of human history, not just in the modern era.

There are a million different ways to interpret these books, the problem isn't in the books, its in the meaning that people give to it.

I've met people who call themselves Muslims with kindness that is truly astounding, and people who call themselves Muslims who have threatened to behead me. We can blame Islam all we want, but Islam means nothing aside from what we give to it in meaning. Maybe it is time to change our approach.

Commenter 42
09-19-2016, 11:25 PM
Religion isn't reduceable to a book, anymore than English is simply a Dictionary. Downward causation is flawed my fiend.

The spectrum argument is pure folly, like the sliding scale for rape. At what point is it rape?
You're using the same argument here. Religion is wrong, all of it, in everyway.

Heroin has its upside, as does coke and speed. Sugar is damn tasty...

Right now, we have a deity problem, and it's time for us to own it.

God is not great.

mrmaczaps
09-19-2016, 11:26 PM
Islam will never catch up or change. Muslims need to be banned from all civilized countries. Muslims are taught when they are the minority to do whatever to gain favor, and trust. When they outnumber everyone else..... watch out.

The quran is of the devil. No good can come from it.

Open carry doesn't harm anyone. Concealed carry doesn't either. Hate kills. Guns are sometimes the weapon of choice. Usually stolen.

I conceal carry. I've never taken my weapon out. Never aimed it at anyone or anything except a target. Not even the neighbors annoying unleashed dog that tries to bite my ankles in my own driveway.

There's not a thing wrong with the Christian Bible. When you love someone, it's a responsibility to tell your loved one they are messing up. Parents should correct their children. Teach your kids respect and honor and they will typically grow up to respect and honor. I didn't even grow up in Christian household. A friend taught me. It was interesting to see the things I already knew to be right or wrong and see where that intuition came from.

Feel free to hate on the new guy who jumped in.

FredWolfLeonardo
09-19-2016, 11:35 PM

There's not a thing wrong with the Christian Bible.

No good can come of the Quran? As according to whose interpretation? Sunnis, Shias, Quranists, Ahmadis, Sufis, Reformists, Peaceful folk, terrorists? What is supposed to be "good" anyway?

I think C42 would strongly disagree with the second statement :lol:

Commenter 42
09-19-2016, 11:38 PM
Islam will never catch up or change. Muslims need to be banned from all civilized countries. Muslims are taught when they are the minority to do whatever to gain favor, and trust. When they outnumber everyone else..... watch out.

There's not a thing wrong with the Christian Bible.

You realize they are effectively derived from the same source, right? They're both of abraheimic origin.

Quran? As according to whose interpretation? Sunnis, Shias, Quranists, Ahmadis, Sufis, Peaceful folk, terrorists?

I think C42 would strongly disagree with the second statement :lol:

Lol, you know me too well.

mrmaczaps
09-19-2016, 11:44 PM
You realize they are effectively derived from the same source, right? They're both of abraheimic origin.

Lol, you know me too well.

Cant have spent time reading either one if you believe they come from the same source.

Commenter 42
09-19-2016, 11:46 PM
Cant have spent time reading either one if you believe they come from the same source.

Um, it's not my belief. It's historical record. Feel free to google it.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--LuDrk6tK--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/uqnaoxyodypqnzfcryhj.jpg

Prowler
09-20-2016, 02:26 AM

Yes, sadly this is becoming more and more the norm. Remember when Al-Qaeda and Bin Laden were the big boogeymen? But they really didn't commit many attacks on American or European soil. I mean, the ones they did were quite big 9/11, Madrid and London bombings), but that's it. I believe they were the only ones. I don't think USA had any terrorist attack committed by Muslim extremists on its soil for several years after 9/11.

ISIS seem to be more feared. I guess because they have more money and are actually big and powerful enough to basically take control of a country. Although haven't they been struggling in Syria lately? As snake said, Russians have been doing a better job.

ToTheNines
09-20-2016, 04:30 AM

There's not a thing wrong with the Christian Bible. When you love someone, it's a responsibility to tell your loved one they are messing up. Parents should correct their children. Teach your kids respect and honor and they will typically grow up to respect and honor. I didn't even grow up in Christian household. A friend taught me. It was interesting to see the things I already knew to be right or wrong and see where that intuition came from.

Lol no.

The Quran has plenty of nice, peaceful sh*t to go with the crazy. And the Bible is chock full of uncouth teachings and has no shortage of contradictions. Jesus was cool though. Too bad no one actually lives like him, except maybe the Mormons lol.

Christianity has plenty inherently wrong with it and has done a lot of harm in the past. Remember The Crusades? Remember why Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence?

So it's ultimately not even a religion clash, but a culture clash. America is not great because of our population being predominately Christian, but despite of it. There are far too many of us who don't respect Separation of Church and State, but we still have it. The Middle East has no desire for it, and they need to figure it out on their own.

BubblyShell22
09-20-2016, 07:48 AM
Wow. This escalated quickly. My view on the gun thing is that you can ban guns all you want, but it's not just guns that the terrorists are using as seen with these attacks. They're also using bombs to kill and hurt people too yet no one seems to really worry about that. It's all about taking the guns away and honestly, that's not going to solve the problem. The guns are not the problem at all, it's the people wielding the guns who are the problem and we need to worry about who's getting these guns and what they're using them for.

Religion as a whole is not the problem. It's the extremists who use it for their own means who are the problem and those are the ones who need to be banned from the country. I think we need better background checks so we know who's coming in here and messing with us. But honestly, no matter what we do, terrorism is going to continue whether it's Islamist extremists or someone else.

Commenter 42
09-20-2016, 11:56 AM
Lol no.

The Quran has plenty of nice, peaceful sh*t to go with the crazy. And the Bible is chock full of uncouth teachings and has no shortage of contradictions. Jesus was cool though. Too bad no one actually lives like him, except maybe the Mormons lol.

Christianity has plenty inherently wrong with it and has done a lot of harm in the past. Remember The Crusades? Remember why Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence?

So it's ultimately not even a religion clash, but a culture clash. America is not great because of our population being predominately Christian, but despite of it. There are far too many of us who don't respect Separation of Church and State, but we still have it. The Middle East has no desire for it, and they need to figure it out on their own.

HUG. one big, huge hug.

Right. F*cking. On.

Damn Daniel!

Wow. This escalated quickly.

and still...

http://a.fod4.com/misc/Old%20Man%20Escalator.gif

Religion as a whole is the problem.

Fixed that for you.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-20-2016, 12:01 PM

Mormons don't do wine, mate.

plastroncafe
09-20-2016, 12:04 PM
Mormons don't do wine, mate.

Or coffee.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-20-2016, 12:05 PM
Or coffee.

Or iced tea. I figured that one out the time I went to Thanksgiving dinner with a Mormon coworker. :tlol:

plastroncafe
09-20-2016, 12:08 PM
Or iced tea. I figured that one out the time I went to Thanksgiving dinner with a Mormon coworker. :tlol:

Yeah, they're not real big on altering substances, and caffeine is on the Avoid list.

Also, apparently women can't wear pants to services.

Commenter 42
09-20-2016, 12:23 PM
hunh, how terrible. Women can't wear pants to services...

I'm trying hard to think of another religion that treats women as second class citizens, or denies them basic rights.

It'll come to me.

snake
09-20-2016, 12:56 PM
Mormons are legit cool people tho.

Nicest folks you'll ever meet

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-20-2016, 12:59 PM
Mormons are legit cool people tho.

Nicest folks you'll ever meet

I don't trust anyone who starts their morning without some kind of chemical pick-me-up.

Morning people are pod people.

plastroncafe
09-20-2016, 01:12 PM
I will say this, I've never met an unattractive missionary.

Prowler
09-20-2016, 01:18 PM
Mormons are kinda creepy. I've met a few and their smiles creep me out a bit. Plus are they ALWAYS dressed like that? they look like such dorks.

I will say this, I've never met an unattractive missionary.
That's cause chicks usually love dudes in shirts and ties(and suits). Even I get told I'm cute/handsome when I wear a suit.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-20-2016, 01:20 PM
Mormons are kinda creepy. I've met a few and their smiles creep me out a bit. Plus are they ALWAYS dressed like that? they look like such dorks.

It's their lack of caffeine or alcohol. Creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy.

Like real human beings function at 7am without the crutch of vodka-enhanced coffee. :tshifty:

snake
09-20-2016, 01:22 PM
I don't trust anyone who starts their morning without some kind of chemical pick-me-up.

Morning people are pod people.

F*ck coffee. Cold showers are where it's it.

Prowler
09-20-2016, 01:23 PM
It's their lack of caffeine or alcohol. Creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy.

Like real human beings function at 7am without the crutch of vodka-enhanced coffee. :tshifty:
Wait, what, their religion forbids coffee and coca-cola? Seriously?

Unrelated, but this time I told this woman me and my family never went to the cinema nor did I bother to celebrate my birthdays. You know what she's asked me? "Are you, per chance, a Jeovah Witness?". And I'm like "No, I don't like knocking on stranger's doors to tell them about Jesus."

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-20-2016, 01:25 PM

Spoken like an underage child who has not yet developed his tastebuds enough to enjoy God's Proof That Man Is Not Meant To Wake Up Before Eleven AM! :twink:

Wait, what, their religion forbids coffee and coca-cola? Seriously?

Unrelated, but this time I told this woman me and my family never went to the cinema nor did I bother to celebrate my birthdays. You know what she's asked me? "Are you, per chance, a Jeovah Witness?". And I'm like "No, I don't like knocking on stranger's doors to tell them about Jesus."

I'm rusty on the wording, but they forbid spirits or chemicals/substances that could be addictive or alter a person's mood. That encompasses all forms of alcohol or caffeine, along with weed and hard drugs, obviously.

Prowler
09-20-2016, 01:28 PM
Spoken like an underage child who has not yet developed his tastebuds enough to enjoy God's Proof That Man Is Not Meant To Wake Up Before Eleven AM! :twink:

I'm rusty on the wording, but they forbid spirits or chemicals/substances that could be addictive or alter a person's mood. That encompasses all forms of alcohol or caffeine, along with weed and hard drugs, obviously.
Well, to be fair, booze isn't really godo for you. But a cup of coffee or two per day can be healthy for you. It's not like caffeine is this super hard drug that destroys people's lives like heroin and alcohol do so often.

Not even when I was a kid did I like waking up so early. I had coffee sometimes back in 12th grade, but not exactly daily. Then I got into college and... well hard to resist coffee machines that sell espresso and cappuccino at 30-40 cents, you see.

plastroncafe
09-20-2016, 01:53 PM
That's cause chicks usually love dudes in shirts and ties(and suits). Even I get told I'm cute/handsome when I wear a suit.

Sure, but I wasn't talking about the dudes.

Powder
09-20-2016, 03:32 PM
caffeine is on the Avoid list.

As it should be! Once you have a kidney stone, you'll never touch it again.

plastroncafe
09-20-2016, 03:50 PM

Weird, got my kidney stone years after kicking caffeine.

Prowler
09-20-2016, 03:56 PM
Caffeine itself, in moderation, actually slightly reduces kidney stone formation. What might cause kidney stones is not the caffeine itself but the dehydration from it. Hence why you should drink soem water after you finis ha cup of coffee.

Alcohol is much worse for that. My aunt really liked having a glass of white wine for dinner at times and she's had some kidney stones in her life. And she wasn't even a heavy drinker.

Commenter 42
09-20-2016, 03:56 PM

Exactly. SOOO much better for you.

plastroncafe
09-20-2016, 03:59 PM
Caffeine itself, in moderation, actually slightly reduces kidney stone formation. What might cause kidney stones is not the caffeine itself but the dehydration from it. Hence why you should drink soem water after you finis ha cup of coffee.

Alcohol is much worse for that. My aunt really liked having a glass of white wine for dinner at times and she's had some kidney stones in her life. And she wasn't even a heavy drinker.

That's likely because being a woman makes one more likely to develop them right or of the gate.

Andrew NDB
09-20-2016, 04:00 PM
Coffee is for the birds.

Prowler
09-20-2016, 04:00 PM
That's likely because being a woman makes one more likely to develop them right or of the gate.
had no idea women were more prone to kidney stones, to be honest.

plastroncafe
09-20-2016, 04:07 PM
had no idea women were more prone to kidney stones, to be honest.

This is what my doc told me when I asked about dietary things I should avoid. Also to drink lemonade, as the acid from the juice will help, and it's tasty.

Having said that, the research I just very quickly did doesn't support the Lady Bit, but the acidic part seems true. So long as the juice doesn't have high fructose corn syrup.

ToTheNines
09-20-2016, 04:07 PM
Yeah, they're not real big on altering substances, and caffeine is on the Avoid list.

Also, apparently women can't wear pants to services.

What pussies. They need to start beating those wenches and covering them even more.

Prowler
09-20-2016, 04:11 PM
I never thought we'd discuss caffeine and kidney stones in this thread, I must say. Even considering this is the 'Drome. A place known for threads going off-topic often.

Commenter 42
09-20-2016, 05:00 PM
Being overweight is also a contributing factor to kidney stones.

But love your curves and blame everything else I suppose. Fat shaming is so distasteful.

Eat all the pizza, then, and only then wonder why your sick.

Powder
09-20-2016, 05:14 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/06/15/article-0-1EC4264600000578-15_634x583.jpg

???

Commenter 42
09-20-2016, 05:21 PM
Lol, yeah, what a buzz kill.
http://www.fattyliverremedy.com/images/fatty-healthy-liver.jpg

y'all keepFoie grasing yourselves. I'll be over here enjoying my 50's with both my feet.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-20-2016, 05:22 PM

y'all keepFoie grasing yourselves. I'll be over here enjoying my 50's with both my feet.

So that you can live long enough to forget all your loved ones and memories, and spend your twilight years in an adult diaper of your own feces watching Wheel of Fortune? :twink:

Commenter 42
09-20-2016, 05:27 PM
So that you can live long enough to forget all your loved ones and memories, and spend your twilight years in an adult diaper of your own feces watching Wheel of Fortune? :twink:

lol, that only happens to folks who eat like s#it bro.

Truthfully, I'm all for ******** myself and not giving a f*ck again. How care free, how wonderful.

I'm not interested in dying. Non existence is pretty ****ing boring.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-20-2016, 05:28 PM
lol, that only happens to folks who eat like s#it bro.

Truthfully, I'm all for ******** myself and not giving a f*ck again. How care free, how wonderful.

I'm not interested in dying. Non existence is pretty ****ing boring.

Not necessarily. But I get what you mean... treat yourself better, better chance of lasting longer.

Just don't overstay your sanity.

Commenter 42
09-20-2016, 05:34 PM
Just don't overstay your sanity.

I already have.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-20-2016, 05:40 PM
I already have.

You've got me there.

Is Wheel of Fortune okay, or do you need me to change the channel to The Price is Right?

Commenter 42
09-20-2016, 05:50 PM
You've got me there.

Is Wheel of Fortune okay, or do you need me to change the channel to The Price is Right?

'Course, three minutes to Wapner.

Cure
09-20-2016, 05:51 PM
Come on, man, those shows are on completely different times of day.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-20-2016, 05:54 PM
Come on, man, those shows are on completely different times of day.

Being that I am under 75 years of age, I have no idea what time they're on. :trazz:

Commenter 42
09-20-2016, 05:57 PM
Wednesday is fish sticks. Green lime jello for dessert.

Powder
09-20-2016, 05:58 PM

What is your problem?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-20-2016, 05:59 PM
Wednesday is fish sticks. Green lime jello for dessert.

You'll probably just get it all in your hair...

Commenter 42
09-20-2016, 06:06 PM
What is your problem?

What do you mean? You said "lighten up" no?